Author Topic: PBS Masterpiece 2015 ~ Downton Abbey and Other PBS Programs  (Read 103570 times)

MaryPage

Re: PBS Masterpiece 2015 ~ Sherlock, Arthur & George, Indian Summers & More
« Reply #320 on: July 27, 2015, 02:23:12 PM »

See the 2015 MASTERPIECE schedule

Let's talk about PBS programs that we enjoy.

DISCUSSING NOW

Indian Summers
September 27- November 22, 2015

Set in a subtropical paradise during the twilight era of the British Empire, Indian Summers explores the collision of the ruling class English with their Indian subjects, and the intricate game of power, politics, and passion that ensues. Julie Walters (Harry Potter, Oscar® nominee for Billy Elliot and Educating Rita) stars as Cynthia Coffin, the glamorous doyenne of an English social club, and is joined by Henry Lloyd-Hughes, Jemima West, Nikesh Patel, Roshan Seth, and Lillete Dubey.

Home Fires
October 4 - November 8, 2015

At the heart of a rural English village on the verge of the Second World War, a diverse group of women with personal struggles, conflicting views and a shared mission forge a community that will inspire their finest hour. Samantha Bond (Downton Abbey) and Francesca Annis (Reckless, Cranford) head an ensemble cast in the moving wartime drama, Home Fires, based on Jambusters, Julie Summers’ history of Britain’s Women’s Institute.

ALREADY DISCUSSED

Sherlock, Seasons 2 and 3
August 16 - September 20, 2015

While we wait for Season 4 of Sherlock (said to be broadcast in 2017), we can watch encore presentations of the exploits of the world's only consulting detective, Sherlock Holmes, and his long-suffering faithful friend, Dr. John Watson in Seasons 2 and 3. Starring Benedict Cumberbatch (Star Trek Into Darkness; The Imitation Game) and Martin Freeman (The Hobbit trilogy).

Arthur & George
September 6- 20, 2015

Martin Clunes (Doc Martin) stars as Sir Arthur Conan Doyle in a three-part MASTERPIECE adaptation of a novel by Julian Barnes based on real events. Outraged by injustice to an Anglo-Indian solicitor, the famed author uses the methods of his own fictional detective to get at the truth. Co-starring are Arsher Ali (The Missing) as George Edalji; and Charles Edwards (Downton Abbey) as Alfred Wood, Sir Arthur’s real-life “Dr. Watson.”

Poldark, Season 1

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT

Thanks to our Masterpiece friends at the WGBH Educational Foundation in Boston, SeniorLearn is in possession of two DVD sets of Season 1 of the current Poldark to give away. Winners of these DVDs will be selected at random from people who post in the PBS Masterpiece discussion from June 21 through August 7. You may post as many messages as you like but only one post will count as your entry. Winners will be notified by email (to the email address associated with your username on SeniorLearn) during the second week of August when we'll request their postal address in order to send the DVD. To be eligible to receive the DVD you must live in the contiguous United States (for postage considerations).

June 21 - August 2, 2015
Set in the picturesque, seaside county of Cornwall, Poldark follows a rough-and-ready hero with nothing to lose as he tries to restore his community, fortune, and family name. It’s 1783, and Britain is in a crisis of falling wages, rising goods prices, and civil unrest. Dashing, adventurous scoundrel Ross Poldark (Aidan Turner) returns from fighting overseas to find his world dramatically changed: his family estate is in ruins, his father has died, and his sweetheart is engaged to another. Poldark is based on the first two novels in Winston Graham’s sweeping 18th-century saga. The first television adaptation of the series aired on MASTERPIECE in the 1970s, and now a new generation can delight in the exploits of a romantic hero like no other.

Mr. Selfridge, Season 3
March 29 - May 17, 2015
All sales are final as Harry Selfridge gambles his store, his fortune, and his personal happiness on an audacious retail strategy in Mr. Selfridge, Season 3.

Wolf Hall

Wolf Hall, a six-hour miniseries adapted from Hilary Mantel’s best-selling Booker Prize-winning novels: Wolf Hall and its sequel, Bring Up the Bodies, airs on Sundays, April 5 to May 10, 2015 at 10pm. Wolf Hall stars Emmy and Golden Globe Award-winner Damian Lewis (Homeland) and Tony Award-winner Mark Rylance (Twelfth Night) and shines a spotlight on Thomas Cromwell's involvement in King Henry VIII's marriage to and divorce from Anne Boleyn. See http://www.pbs.org/wolfhall and http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/programs/wolf-hall/

Discussion Leaders:  JoanP and marcie

I think Gary is rather neurotic, but then again, aren't they all.  I do get a glow in my own heart when I see how close they all really are, though.  Caroline did not want a baby, but she treasures Flora because she is Kate's baby, and now both boys are on board with the baby sister thing.  The view of the four generations all eating lunch together in the farm house was great, too.  They may get fit to be tied with one another from time to time, but the deep bonds are there, and I relish seeing that.  Gillian would appear to be an addict of both drink and sex, but is trying her level headed best to overcome both, and at times I find her the most grounded of the lot despite her very traumatic life.  Alan has given her unconditional love always, and she knows how to give it in return.  And that boy of hers, despite the teenage pregnancy and subsequent marriage, seems quite top drawer in character.  Yes, I have come to love them all.  And I do think every one of them is a GREAT actor;  we are seeing Britain's best at work.  Too bad about The Crimson Field, but I did not much enjoy the show itself, just the outstanding acting there, too.

marcie

• Administrator
Re: PBS Masterpiece 2015 ~ Poldark and Sherlock and Other PBS Programs
« Reply #321 on: July 28, 2015, 12:10:25 AM »
I too love the actors in Poldark and Last Tango. I was very apprehensive during Poldark last evening. He looked like he was following the same path as his cousin Francis.

MaryPage

« Reply #322 on: July 28, 2015, 08:53:38 AM »
Ah, then you must not have read the books or seen the first miniseries.  It was done even more dramatically in the first miniseries.  And I liked Demelza's ballgown better in the first.  But this was quite satisfactory.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #323 on: July 28, 2015, 11:11:57 AM »
I have not read the books and I don't recall seeing the first Poldark. I've just placed a hold on the first season of the first series at my library. 20 people ahead of me :-)

MaryPage

« Reply #324 on: July 28, 2015, 11:28:13 AM »
Well Marcie, you can still get the FIRST miniseries.  Try for it!  It is called the 1975 Poldark.  And I highly recommend all of the books.  Winston Graham was the author, and you can get them used on the cheap from Thriftbooks and others websites.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #326 on: July 29, 2015, 11:00:41 AM »
Thanks, MaryPage. I'll look at my library copy when I get it and see if I want to purchase the whole FIRST series.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #327 on: July 29, 2015, 03:57:50 PM »
Oh wow, I was wrong about the Emmys for Wolf Hall, they had 8 nominations!!

AWARDS & NOMINATIONS

Outstanding Single-Camera Picture Editing For A Limited Series Or A Movie - 2015

Nominee
    Wolf Hall
    "Part 2: Entirely Beloved"
    PBS
    A Playground Entertainment and Company Pictures Production for BBC and MASTERPIECE in association with BBC Worldwide, Altus Media and Prescience
    David Blackmore, as Editor

Outstanding Limited Series - 2015

Nominee
    Wolf Hall
    PBS
    A Playground Entertainment and Company Pictures Production for BBC and MASTERPIECE in association with BBC Worldwide, Altus Media and Prescience

Outstanding Lead Actor In A Limited Series Or A Movie - 2015

Nominee
    Mark Rylance, as Thomas Cromwell
    Wolf Hall
    PBS

Outstanding Directing For A Limited Series, Movie Or A Dramatic Special - 2015

Nominee
    Wolf Hall
    PBS
    Peter Kosminsky, as Directed by

Outstanding Costumes For A Period | Fantasy Series, Limited Series Or Movie - 2015

Nominee
    Wolf Hall
    "Part 3: Anna Regina"
    PBS
    Joanna Eatwell, as Costume Designer
    Ken Lang, as Costume Supervisor
    Clare Vyse, as Assistant Costume Designer

Outstanding Casting For A Limited Series, Movie Or A Special - 2015

Nominee
    Wolf Hall
    PBS
    Nina Gold, as Casting Director
    Robert Sterne, as Casting Director

Outstanding Writing For A Limited Series, Movie Or A Dramatic Special - 2015

Nominee
    Wolf Hall
    PBS
    Peter Straughan, as Written by

Outstanding Supporting Actor In A Limited Series Or A Movie - 2015

Nominee
    Damian Lewis, as Henry VIII
    Wolf Hall
    PBS

News & Features
- See more at: http://m.emmys.com/shows/wolf-hall#sthash.V7NhTXPg.dpuf

marjifay

« Reply #328 on: August 02, 2015, 04:26:50 PM »
When does the Poldark program broadcast.  I've never seen it, but then I hardly ever watch that channel.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #329 on: August 02, 2015, 08:19:49 PM »
It's on at 9pm on Sundays on the PBS in San Francisco.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #330 on: August 03, 2015, 09:07:44 AM »
Well they sure did a good job of leaving Poldark hanging in the breeze - looks like we wait till next year for the series to continue - read that they are finishing up Downton with lots of goodbyes and the writeup indicated some of the goodbyes in the show are upbeat but there are a few that have no place to go - Mary is too busy to pay that much attention to Edith but does get in a few jabs as Edith evidently has a new beau and is an attractive addition to London society.

Not sure if we have not seen the end of the Last Tango... but then they did enough it could end - Cilia looks better and more vibrant with each episode where as Jacobi is really showing his age - do not remember what Caroline's trip to New York was all about but it appears she has turned the corner and it appears John will never get on with his life and then Gillian - golly what can be said...

We've been seeing Foley's War and it appears to be at its end - the last show was very dramatic and a more involved story line than all the episodes I can remember.

Not sure what the Fall will bring but so many of the shows we have been watching are coming to their end even if we have to wait till Winter after the holidays to see the ending episodes of Downton. I think there are still a couple of episodes left to DI Banks - oh yes, what was that one with the young reverend and detective played by an older Robson Green.

According to the PBS Masterpiece line up for the fall that is online we are in for a whole slew of Sherlock including a new one with Martin Clunes (Doc Martin) - we shall see what we shall see on that one...   
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

MaryPage

« Reply #331 on: August 03, 2015, 11:48:06 AM »
I watch the network news religiously on ABC, my absolute favorite, and NBC, but other than that just about the only channels I ever watch are our three public television channels(Maryland MPT, Virginia WETA and Washington, DC WHUT) and HBO and MSNBC.  There are just no shows, night or day, that interest me on network channels.

I contribute to PBS annually, both MPT & WETA, out of a deep sense of guilt and appreciation  I have enjoyed so many thousands of hours of public television's wonderful shows, most of them from BBC.  Gosh, I've been watching Masterpiece Theatre since before it was called that even!  I think the very first offering was the Forsyte Saga, clear back in 1969 or thereabouts.

In the first season of POLDARK they cover the first two books by Winston Graham, ROSS POLDARK and DEMELZA.  In the second season they will cover books three and four: JEREMY POLDARK and WARLEGGAN.  I don't believe they have ever filmed all twelve (12) books, but I wish they would!  Wouldn't it be loverly!

So POLDARK is not made up by screenwriters, but they simply create the scripts according to what happens in the books.  I read that Last Tango In Halifax will definitely have a Season Four, which delights my soul, as I find this a top notch piece of excellence.  I think Caroline has finally said goodbye to Kate's ghost;  I do not believe we will see her again.  Isn't the baby adorable! 

Barbara, you are talking about GRANTCHESTER, a superb series about a Church of England priest who plays detective with his policeman pal.  These are also adapted from a series of books, this time THE GRANTCHESTER MYSTERIES by James Runcie.  Runcie is the son of a famous Archbishop of Canterbury!

CallieOK

« Reply #332 on: August 03, 2015, 04:53:30 PM »
MaryPage,  thank you for the information on the Poldark books.  I had not realized there were so many.  Following last night's episode, there was a station "blurb" on the next season being "in production" (and then, of course, a plea for donations!).

I'm still trying to decide what I think about the season finale of "Last Tango....".   Gillian's wiffle-waffling was just plain annoying and the "back stories" explaining why were TMI, IMO.  :)
I can tolerate it - but I do wonder why the dialogue is written so the characters speak so hesitantly. Almost seems as if they're stuttering.
I suspect the actress who has played Kate had a contract through the end of the season so had to be written into episodes after her "death".   Interesting that so many main characters are going out of the country.  More contract changes, perhaps?

MaryPage

« Reply #333 on: August 03, 2015, 08:29:58 PM »
Caroline is just paying a promised visit to Kate's mom in New York City.  Remember their meeting at Kate's funeral, and Caroline made her that promise?  Alan & Celia are just taking a tour of foreign places, they are not emigrating.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #334 on: August 03, 2015, 09:38:20 PM »
Oh yes, how quickly it went over my head that yes, Caroline is visiting Kate's mom.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

CallieOK

« Reply #335 on: August 03, 2015, 09:44:04 PM »
Oh, I realize no one is moving away.  Gillian and Robbie are going to Majorca for their honeymoon.

I have  noticed in some shows, that having a character leave for some reason is sometimes a device for a plot change when the actor is going  to  take a leave of absence.  Instead of just disappearing, he or she doesn't come home for a while.
If the actor is leaving the show, something dire happens and the others can react in all sorts of ways, precipitating dramatic plot developments. :)

nlhome

« Reply #336 on: August 03, 2015, 11:10:07 PM »
I was disappointed that I missed all the PBS programs this summer. Tonight was the first time I watched TV since the end of May, and that was to catch 15 minutes of the local news. Too much going on, plus we take every opportunity to be outside this summer, including sitting out on the deck watching the fireflies. I can see by this discussion that I missed a lot.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #337 on: August 09, 2015, 01:15:53 PM »
nlhome, You missed some good ones. Some of the Poldark episodes are available to view online for a limited time at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/watch-online/

Some interesting programs are coming soon. See the heading at the top of this page for links to Arthur & George--based on real events in the life of Arthur Conan Doyle and Indian Summers, set during the twilight era of the British Empire.

ginny

• Administrator
Re: PBS Masterpiece 2015 ~ Sherlock, Arthur and George and Other PBS Programs
« Reply #338 on: September 03, 2015, 10:21:08 AM »
OH I can't wait for Arthur and George. AND there is a new Doc Martin which filmed this spring in Port Isaac, Cornwall, to look forward to, also.

This DVR is the thing, it really is.  Not only do you not miss any show, nor do you have to stay up late,  you can then rewatch it as many times as you like.

I have become a Wolf Hall convert, I bet I have watched it 20 times.

I just found this online which I love and which helps a great deal, it's who's who in the Wolf Hall production. It shows the photos of the actor in costume as he appears and then it says who he is and what his position was. Bereton!  I knew who he was in the book, but I  went the whole 6 episodes without a clue as to who he was  in the film or who that actor was portraying in Henry's inner circle.  It's priceless as a brief  Guide to the Masterpiece Wolf Hall:  http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02g3n38/p02g3cb5

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #339 on: September 03, 2015, 10:53:44 AM »
Thanks, Ginny, for that site with all of the Wolf Hall background. DVR is great, isn't it. You can record one episode or a whole season!

THis Sunday will begin the 3-episode series of the new "Arthur and George" about an incident in Arthur Conan Doyle's life. It should be very good with Martin Clunes who starred in Doc Martin.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #340 on: September 03, 2015, 12:26:01 PM »
Marvelous website for Wolf Hall - thanks Ginny - the modern day photo of Mark Rylance shows him to be a nice looking man  without all the velvets and furs of the Tudor Court.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #341 on: September 03, 2015, 12:39:40 PM »
:)

Apparently he's a bit of a free spirit, dresses eccentrically, hates interviews, and is very clever. He'd have to be, to memorize all those lines, he's in almost every frame. Emmy, Emmy Emmy!

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #342 on: September 04, 2015, 07:50:02 AM »
Marcie, thanks. Yes, having discovered the DVR I don't know how I managed without it, it's wonderful. With a click of a button you can be sure you don't miss any episode coming up and you can then watch them at any time.

Arthur Conan Doyle was SUCH an interesting man and now we've got Martin Clunes playing the part, it should be a wow. I had read he was really tired of Sherlock Holmes and he deliberately killed him off at Reichenbach  (sp) Falls but his mother importuned him to bring him back and that's why he did.

He wrote lots of other books, on other subjects,  too. I did not know that till a professor once mentioned it was a hobby of his to collect Doyle's  other works. I did not realize there were so many.

Whose film portrayal of Sherlock do you all like the best? I am not sure which Sherlock I like better. I always liked Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce and have all their films. I liked them on the radio too in the WWII years, wonderful programs,  and they are still available on CD. Love the old commercials and Buy War  Bonds.

I never really cared for Jerremy Brett initially (who, by the way was a cousin of Martin Clunes and who offered to pay to have his ears pinned back for him but he declined). But now for some reason I am beginning to like Jeremy  Brett too.

Of course Ian McKellen, in his latest one was just wonderful.

Strangely enough I really liked  Robert Downey, Jr's take on Sherlock, with Jude Law. They played it for fun and I really enjoyed those films. I wish they'd make another one.

Who do you all like the best for Sherlock?  What about Dr. Watson? Do you like him more serious like the modern ones or more funny like the older film portrayals?

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #343 on: September 04, 2015, 08:00:52 AM »
I did like Jeremy Britt - it was this last interpretation by Benedict Cumberbatch that I absolutely did not like - I've seen him in other things that I thought he was quite wonderful but this, it was more the change up of the stories that I just did not like - I was under the impression this was a take off on the Sherlock stories that Martin Clunes was doing rather than the actual stories. To me his face is too broad for my picture of Sherlock - in that Benedict has the better look and that is probably why I liked Jeremy Britt and I bet goes back to Basil and Nigel, both long narrow faced men. 

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #344 on: September 04, 2015, 08:21:30 AM »
Oh I've not seen him. I've heard about him but to me he looks a bit young for the part. I could be wrong. I liked Rathbone's detached sort of elegant  aura he had about Sherlock. In real life Rathbone  was from South Africa originally I believe and was apparently one of the nicest men in show business, I read his biography once.

Yes, I think Arthur and George are about  Arthur Conan Doyle, the author, Martin Clunes plays Conan Doyle, I think, you're right,  not Sherlock. Won't that  be fascinating?

Basil Rathbone to me is the quintessential Sherlock in every way. I mean once you see HIM  and hear him, it's hard to get him out of your head. If you had never seen him (and I imagine in 2015 there are a lot of people who haven't), I wonder who you would prefer.

I've got a big book with all the Sherlock stories  in it. It's an old book but once you start reading THEM you can't stop, it's very addictive till you finish them all.

But Nigel Bruce was roundly criticized for his sort of humorous take on Watson,  and I liked him. :)

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #345 on: September 04, 2015, 11:29:09 AM »
I have one of those big books with all the Sherlock stories.  The only Sherlock I really did not like was Cumberbatch.  He talked so fast and I had trouble understanding his accent.  He is a wonderful actor but definitely not my idea of Sherlock.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #346 on: September 07, 2015, 09:06:25 AM »
Yes I saw him last night for a bit, too, after the  Arthur and George which I was interrupted in so will have to watch the tape. From what little I saw I did like Martin Clunes in the part. Accent was good.  Not sure I understood the plot, but again I didn't get to see much of it.

I was totally beguiled by the British Bake Off thing, I love Mary Berry and had a friend not written she was on I would have missed the whole thing. Love that show. Her recipes are good, too, once you figure out caster sugar and muscovado sugar and the baking temps and measurements.  She had a new cook book out recently, something about fool proof recipes I really wanted but again the difference, but I noticed her online site has the US equivalents, which is fabulous.

But the Cumberbatch! I was totally put off by it, couldn't even figure out what was going on (in my defense I missed quite a bit of the beginning) all flash and people punching each other and...was that an IPad? I wasn't ready for it or the constant rat a tat tat of repartee, everything in overdrive, flashing. Couldn't figure out what they were doing.

And then I noticed Mycroft is the actor I admired in Wolf Hall, he played Stephen Gardiner, I like him, tho I liked Stephen Fry's Mycroft better, his is very good too. And then they went down in the subway and that caught me.  I taped the last part to watch because it was too much at that time of night hahahaa  (and to be honest I did have nightmares all night but again that's what a DVR is for, right?)  but I think I do see where they are going.  So I'm going to give it another chance (or at least the end of it). Not sure if I'm ready for that Sherlock, but it's a clever approach.

Cumberbatch himself, I'm not so sure of. Personally,  Paul, the male judge in the British  Bake Off is  more appealing to me...he'd be a good Sherlock. (Assuming he can act).   But I'll give Cumberbatch  a chance. Especially since i can now rewind and figure out what they are saying, seemed to be some very clever repartee.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #347 on: September 07, 2015, 05:14:55 PM »
Actually Ginny the Cumberbatch Sherlock you saw last night makes more sense after you see the earlier one that this was answering - this I think was the last of that series - I think PBS has that series on their web site so that you can see it all.

And I only saw Arthur and George in bits and pieces - seemed OK but I am up to my ears in Sherlock and wish they had started the fall season with another venue -

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #348 on: September 08, 2015, 01:27:48 PM »
Oh I see. That explains a lot.

I finished it last night and I have to say I like it. I think they are playing it for laughs, like Robert Downey Jr and Jude Law did and it IS very clever. Of course you have to get used to the idea of what they are doing, it's not a period piece, which I  normally want to see, not serious, and one has to be able to hear them. Love that DVD, you can play it over and over. And LOUD!

I liked it. I've ordered the first series from Netflix to see if I like the beginning. I mean if one is expecting Basil Rathbone one will be seriously disappointed, but I think Cumberbatch who looks 11 years old has a certain charm of his own.

Can't wait to see this Moriarty, I think I see him in one of the roof flashbacks?  The brothers look more like oddballs in this one than they did in the Rathbone (to just pick an older one).  I like it.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #349 on: September 11, 2015, 09:37:52 PM »
I too have enjoyed the Cumberbatch/Freeman Holmes and Watson series so far. It does take getting used to the computer projections from Holmes mind.

I'm interested in the Arthur and George program so far (the first episode). I like Martin Clunes in the role of Arthur Conan Doyle. He's very different from "Doc Martin." I'll have to watch the episode again to see if I can describe the style of the program. It's as if they allude to some action happening and then it's over. They skip stuff. When I first started watching, it seemed to me like I had fast forwarded over some parts. I wonder if they actually deleted little bits here and there because it was too long or that's just the director's/editor's style.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #350 on: September 18, 2015, 07:30:45 PM »
I need to watch Arthur too from the  beginning on the DVR but I've not had time. I liked what snatches I saw Sunday, tho, maybe the series will come into its own.

Like the Sherlock, I finally in the last two weeks had time to see the ones Neftlix sent, the first disk of the first season, I really like it a lot. It's not as jarring as the one was on TV this season, (is it 3) and you are right Barbara, if you see it from the beginning it not only makes sense it's good.

I really like it. I am not sure what the flashing scenes are supposed to convey, however, you think they are computer projections, Marcie? I couldn't figure it out,  like when he was on the metro and he "forsaw"? the fire? Is he...clairvoyant or has ESP or does he figure it out at the speed of light in sort of a computer...his mind is sort of a computer?

He's a strange looking young man, kind of looks 11 years old.

I really like Watson. He is REALLY good.

Right now I am hooked on the Great British Bake Off and Mary Berry. And Paul, is his last name really Hollywood?

Love that show.

Is THIS the Sunday for the Emmys? I don't want to miss it because I want to see Wolf Hall get their share of awards. hahahah

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #351 on: September 19, 2015, 01:42:01 AM »
Ginny, yes, I think as you said that Cumberbatch's Sherlock Holmes has a mind that is computer-like.

The Emmy's ARE this Sunday!! http://www.emmys.com/

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #352 on: September 19, 2015, 07:54:13 AM »
Looks like nobody is projecting  any kind of awards for Wolf Hall to be won.   Let's see what happens.

marcie

• Administrator

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #354 on: September 19, 2015, 12:34:46 PM »
8 I think but the scuttlebutt of those who make predictions are leaving them ALL out.

I hope they are wrong, that's the only reason I'm watching it. Damien Lewis (Henry VIII) is sometimes mentioned way down the list and sometimes Mark Rylance.  Wouldn't it be fabulous if they took the thing!!?? But this or that actor was overlooked last year and so it's thought to make up for that Bill Murray among others will get the awards this time. I like Bill Murray, too. It appears this will be quite a contest this year.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #355 on: September 21, 2015, 08:42:22 AM »
Such a disappointment. :)

It appears the prognosticators were right, and it was an Olive Kitteridge Night.

I am not sure why they are lumping a 4 hour movie in  with the mini series, but I think that is what accounted for Olive Kitteridge winning them all. That and Bill Murray perhaps being unfairly passed over in the past. It was certainly powerful but I don't think the acting was  comparable. Oh well.

I thought the Emmys were quite strange,  actually, but again I am not in the industry.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #356 on: September 21, 2015, 10:49:55 AM »
I watched also and most of it was boring (for me). I didn't see that version of Olive Kitteridge.  I haven't seen most of the "winners." I do think that the voting must be for "popular" people or, as you say Ginny, for some people who have been overlooked in the past.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #357 on: September 21, 2015, 04:23:02 PM »
Yes and now they are saying it was a tremendous hit and great show and I'm thinking, huh? hahahaa The jokes seemed to ME to fall flat about 80 percent of the time. (I took that from the silence in the audience).  But I turned it off after 10 or so.

Perhaps they are tired of giving British actors American awards as happens so often...and maybe it's a backlash.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #358 on: September 21, 2015, 04:54:15 PM »
Yes, that could be. Quite a few British actors have won "our" awards in the past.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #359 on: September 21, 2015, 04:54:46 PM »
Sounds crass but have you ever noticed the awards seem to gravitate toward those who are considered representative of the current beleaguered groups in society. I think the top 5 are all interchangeable - there is no bad apple in the group and like a collage entrance interview those who they think will bring to the school more dollars after graduating are admitted along with those who show a challenging life to even be considered - so look at the future profit margin for the winners in addition to the ones who can be examples of the current social challenges.