Author Topic: PBS Masterpiece 2015 ~ Downton Abbey and Other PBS Programs  (Read 103620 times)

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
Re: PBS Masterpiece 2015 ~ Indian Summers, Home Fires and Other PBS Programs
« Reply #360 on: September 22, 2015, 10:26:34 AM »

See the 2015 MASTERPIECE schedule

Let's talk about PBS programs that we enjoy.

DISCUSSING NOW

Indian Summers
September 27- November 22, 2015

Set in a subtropical paradise during the twilight era of the British Empire, Indian Summers explores the collision of the ruling class English with their Indian subjects, and the intricate game of power, politics, and passion that ensues. Julie Walters (Harry Potter, Oscar® nominee for Billy Elliot and Educating Rita) stars as Cynthia Coffin, the glamorous doyenne of an English social club, and is joined by Henry Lloyd-Hughes, Jemima West, Nikesh Patel, Roshan Seth, and Lillete Dubey.

ALREADY DISCUSSED

Home Fires
October 4 - November 8, 2015

At the heart of a rural English village on the verge of the Second World War, a diverse group of women with personal struggles, conflicting views and a shared mission forge a community that will inspire their finest hour. Samantha Bond (Downton Abbey) and Francesca Annis (Reckless, Cranford) head an ensemble cast in the moving wartime drama, Home Fires, based on Jambusters, Julie Summers’ history of Britain’s Women’s Institute.

Sherlock, Seasons 2 and 3
August 16 - September 20, 2015

While we wait for Season 4 of Sherlock (said to be broadcast in 2017), we can watch encore presentations of the exploits of the world's only consulting detective, Sherlock Holmes, and his long-suffering faithful friend, Dr. John Watson in Seasons 2 and 3. Starring Benedict Cumberbatch (Star Trek Into Darkness; The Imitation Game) and Martin Freeman (The Hobbit trilogy).

Arthur & George
September 6- 20, 2015

Martin Clunes (Doc Martin) stars as Sir Arthur Conan Doyle in a three-part MASTERPIECE adaptation of a novel by Julian Barnes based on real events. Outraged by injustice to an Anglo-Indian solicitor, the famed author uses the methods of his own fictional detective to get at the truth. Co-starring are Arsher Ali (The Missing) as George Edalji; and Charles Edwards (Downton Abbey) as Alfred Wood, Sir Arthur’s real-life “Dr. Watson.”

Poldark, Season 1

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT

Thanks to our Masterpiece friends at the WGBH Educational Foundation in Boston, SeniorLearn is in possession of two DVD sets of Season 1 of the current Poldark to give away. Winners of these DVDs will be selected at random from people who post in the PBS Masterpiece discussion from June 21 through August 7. You may post as many messages as you like but only one post will count as your entry. Winners will be notified by email (to the email address associated with your username on SeniorLearn) during the second week of August when we'll request their postal address in order to send the DVD. To be eligible to receive the DVD you must live in the contiguous United States (for postage considerations).

June 21 - August 2, 2015
Set in the picturesque, seaside county of Cornwall, Poldark follows a rough-and-ready hero with nothing to lose as he tries to restore his community, fortune, and family name. It’s 1783, and Britain is in a crisis of falling wages, rising goods prices, and civil unrest. Dashing, adventurous scoundrel Ross Poldark (Aidan Turner) returns from fighting overseas to find his world dramatically changed: his family estate is in ruins, his father has died, and his sweetheart is engaged to another. Poldark is based on the first two novels in Winston Graham’s sweeping 18th-century saga. The first television adaptation of the series aired on MASTERPIECE in the 1970s, and now a new generation can delight in the exploits of a romantic hero like no other.

Mr. Selfridge, Season 3
March 29 - May 17, 2015
All sales are final as Harry Selfridge gambles his store, his fortune, and his personal happiness on an audacious retail strategy in Mr. Selfridge, Season 3.

Wolf Hall

Wolf Hall, a six-hour miniseries adapted from Hilary Mantel’s best-selling Booker Prize-winning novels: Wolf Hall and its sequel, Bring Up the Bodies, airs on Sundays, April 5 to May 10, 2015 at 10pm. Wolf Hall stars Emmy and Golden Globe Award-winner Damian Lewis (Homeland) and Tony Award-winner Mark Rylance (Twelfth Night) and shines a spotlight on Thomas Cromwell's involvement in King Henry VIII's marriage to and divorce from Anne Boleyn. See http://www.pbs.org/wolfhall and http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/programs/wolf-hall/

Discussion Leaders:  JoanP and marcie

I enjoyed the Arthur and George short series and especially liked the ending.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
Re: PBS Masterpiece 2015 ~ Sherlock, Arthur and George and Other PBS Programs
« Reply #361 on: September 22, 2015, 10:49:55 AM »
I need to see it again because I forgot who told him he should not be seen walking arm and arm with Jean and in fact I forgot the whole bit till the end of the program last night - need to see it all the separate showings as one continuous story and I bet it is available on the PBS web site.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #362 on: September 24, 2015, 07:00:07 PM »
Jean, I enjoyed the Arthur & George episodes too. I figured out the culprit but not until part way through the last episode.

Barbarba, the three episodes are available for viewing online at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/watch-online/ until early to mid October (different dates for each of the three episodes). I think it was his brother-in-law who cautioned him against being seen with, as the brother-in-law termed it, his "mistress."

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #363 on: September 24, 2015, 11:49:56 PM »
thanks marcie
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #364 on: September 27, 2015, 12:43:43 PM »
We've got two new PBS series. One, INDIAN SUMMERS, starts tonight and the other, HOME FIRES, joins the lineup next week.  They both seem very interesting and feature some actors we've seen before.

From September 27- November 22, set in a subtropical paradise during the twilight era of the British Empire, INDIAN SUMMERS explores the collision of the ruling class English with their Indian subjects. And from October 4 - November 8, at the heart of a rural English village on the verge of the Second World War, a diverse group of women with personal struggles, conflicting views and a shared mission forge a community that will inspire their finest hour in HOME FIRES, based on Jambusters, Julie Summers’ history of Britain’s Women’s Institute.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #365 on: September 27, 2015, 01:29:01 PM »
Yes and next week we are getting another new one in addition to Home Fires called Widower - the caption says...When Claire confronts her husband, Malcolm Webster, over his wild spending, he tries to control her with sedatives. Afraid he'll soon be caught, he silences her forever. Three years on, he has a new bride...and history appears to be repeating itself.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #366 on: September 27, 2015, 09:31:15 PM »
SHIP AHOY!

The Lusitania is sailing again on Thursday! Come and board early, even if you haven't gotten your book yet. Meet the irascible captain who couldn't save her (should he have?), the men and women who took their life problems (and priceless manuscripts) aboard, the happiest submarine captain and crew (was he too ruthless? too kind?), the love struck President, and the British naval officer who lured the submarine to its position, and didn't tell the Lusitania (was it on purpose?)

And share your experiences with ships (sunken and floating), submarines, naval warfare, and the decade before the roaring twenties.

http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=4811.0

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #367 on: September 28, 2015, 02:38:35 PM »
Not sure about this latest Masterpiece - the Indian thing - the story line is making me uncomfortable - too many secret responses to life that was evidently normal during that time in history - just intrigue I can handle but this is more - it includes the subjugation of people and the in crowd are so grasping and grabbing. We shall see...

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #368 on: September 28, 2015, 04:00:00 PM »
And for my part I am still watching the older Sherlock Holmes movies with Benedict Cumberbatch, I've just seen where he does refer to his brain as a computer. I now understand  a lot more things. I guess I wasn't ready for  the concept of a Sherlock and a computer in the same breath. hahahahaa

Love the series.

But OH I'm ready to discuss the Great British Bake Off any time anybody is. I didn't see the new program last night, darn.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #369 on: September 28, 2015, 04:10:12 PM »
the Bake off was shown here last Spring and this time around it is on at like 2: in the morning.  :'(

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #370 on: September 28, 2015, 04:16:48 PM »
Oh wow. It's running here at 7 pm right before the Sunday Masterpiece line up.

salan

« Reply #371 on: September 29, 2015, 07:47:12 PM »
Barb, I live in Llano and think we get the same KLru.  The Baking show comes on here at 6p.m.
Sally

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #372 on: September 29, 2015, 09:26:38 PM »
aha - thanks Sally - about 2 hours before I turn on my TV so that is probably why I miss it - Did see the series last Spring - they bake out of doors - some of their creations were quite creative and saw that it was being repeated but did not pay too much attention - thought it would have been better scheduled for the KLRU creative channel or even Saturday night but Sunday evening I am just getting home.

Did you see the Masterpiece new series in India - what did you think - like it or not there is nothing else on Sunday night although this coming Sunday night the Cowboys play the Saints - and then there are two new shows, one before and another after Masterpiece - already planned on watching the Home Fires when it repeats at midnight. Do want to see this Widower thing and that comes on at 9: - the game will not be over and so a dilemma.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #373 on: September 30, 2015, 11:19:19 AM »
I watched most of the first Indian Summers (I missed the first 10 minutes) and I'm not sure what to think about it yet. It hasn't "grabbed" me like most of the Masterpiece series do from the beginning.

salan

« Reply #374 on: October 01, 2015, 07:53:31 AM »
Barb, that is the very reason that I love my dvr.  I can program what I want to watch and then watch later at my convenience.  I can also zip thru commercials on the commercial programming. 
Sally

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #375 on: October 04, 2015, 06:41:47 PM »
The  DVR has revolutionized my life, too, Sally! And in 1/2 hour the Great British Bake Off comes on here.  It's their second season now on PBS and I think their 7th season just started in the UK, I love love love that show!

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #376 on: October 04, 2015, 10:41:34 PM »
I'm about to turn on Home Fires, about a group of women in a small village in England during WWII.

mabel1015j

« Reply #377 on: October 06, 2015, 08:28:30 PM »
I am really enjoying Last Tango in Halifax.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #378 on: October 07, 2015, 09:29:55 AM »
I'm hearing a lot about a new show o PBS on Monday nights called I'll Have What Phil's Having. People love it. They say it's good hearted travel/ eating and fun. Have any of you seen it?

I am obsessed with the Great British Bake Off and wish I could get DVD's of it. I heard next year it will move to another channel,  not PBS here.  It's so fun and light and innocent. Just the thing. They just started their 7th session and we are getting the 2nd.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #379 on: October 07, 2015, 10:13:27 AM »
Saw it this week - kinda liked his Dalek - looks like he was the only one from last season - thought the clock tower that won was a horror - why in the world do people want to make food into something other than the loveliness of the food as close to its original as possible. To me a plate of various biscuits, short breads and cookies in their round, square, rectangle shapes is so much more attractive - sorry I just thought this artificial tinker toy playing with food was silly and could not imagine bringing one of these constructs to the table. Ok could I be any more negative - oh dear  ::)  :( maybe I should  :-X

salan

« Reply #380 on: October 07, 2015, 05:40:47 PM »
I am watching Indian Summers, but am finding it a bit confusing.  Is anyone else having that problem?
Sally

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #381 on: October 07, 2015, 06:27:34 PM »
Makes me feel so squishy squashy - not really enjoying the story although the scenery and color is wonderful. And yes, the storyline is not clear - it is as if these little vignettes are all tied together.

CallieOK

« Reply #382 on: October 07, 2015, 08:34:29 PM »
Re: Indian Summers.  The story lines are slowly coming together for me - but I can't seem to figure out who fits into each one.  For instance, the young female characters look and act so much alike that I'm having trouble keeping them straight.  I can now recognize the one who came with her baby - but still haven't gotten the others "put in their places".

Is anyone watching "Blood and Oil"?   Pretty much a "Dallas" set in the "wilds" of the Dakotas instead of a metropolis.   Not too sure I'll stick with it - but probably will because, even if I can figure out the conclusion to a story line, I usually like to see how the story gets there.

I am glad the Sunday night shows are back!

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #383 on: October 07, 2015, 08:45:04 PM »
- thought the clock tower that won was a horror - why in the world do people want to make food into something other than the loveliness of the food as close to its original as possible.

Barbara, I LOVED that! Golly  the creativity and apparently it tasted better than any of the others.  When they make one of Mary Berry's directions they say bake without saying how long and what temp, I think it's one of the most fascinating things I have seen.

Sent me looking for a Millionaire shortbread bar recipe from just looking at them. I haven't had one of those in  years.

I guess what I like is the competition. They are all so earnest, and they try SO hard. I can relate to that, having entered jelly and jam competitions at two state fairs for years, I can totally relate.... There appears to be no prize other than ...Best Baker? It's so quintessentially British I can't stand it and great fun.

That's the first time that contestant who seems older than the rest has done anything like that and it really got their attention. I do admire people who can bake.

Long live the Brits! :)

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #384 on: October 07, 2015, 08:50:35 PM »
AND there's a season I've never seen on PBS showing it says season 2 but it's not the one showing now in the US,  and one can watch it as easily as  a youtube show: here it is:

http://www.pbs.org/food/features/great-british-baking-show-episode-1-cake/

I am going to have a wonderful time with this. One of these women has been baking 60 years. Love it!

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #385 on: October 12, 2015, 11:58:44 AM »
:) I can't help it. Last night was really dramatic, who will win, who will lose in the bake off. IS it slanted?

One lovely thing about it, is they want to win SO badly some of them, men included, are in tears but they help each other, too. They ask each other advice and physically help each other.

It's a lovely positive thing, the likes of which I have never seen, quite interesting to compare The Great British Bake Off to Chopped in the US.

Frybabe

« Reply #386 on: October 24, 2015, 02:53:34 PM »
I just caught the news that  "Masterpiece"  will broadcast a 90-minute "Sherlock" special episode of Sherlock on Jan. 1. They will start filming Season 4 in the spring. I hope PBS will be picking that up too.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #387 on: October 25, 2015, 10:24:10 PM »
That sounds great, Frybabe. We have something to look forward to.

Ginny, I caught part of one of the episodes of The Great British Bake Off and it does seem like fun and serious too in a very British combination. I liked what I saw.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #388 on: October 26, 2015, 04:37:15 PM »
I love it. I can't miss it. She's going to come here, Mary Berry is, and try a similar show here. They tried it once before and it failed, so I don't know what will happen.

It's the most highly watched show in Britain, 13.5 million viewers. I can't believe how well they can bake. :)

I had read PBS is not going to have it in future, I hope they change their minds.

And the Sherlock is going to be broadcast at the same time for the first time in Britain on January 1, that's exciting!

salan

« Reply #389 on: October 26, 2015, 06:25:04 PM »
I also enjoy the British baking show and Home Fires.  Indian Summers, not so much.
Sally

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #390 on: October 26, 2015, 10:05:40 PM »
Ginny, I hope that the Baking show will happen here.

Salan, I too am watching Home Fires. The theme song --the tune, words and singing, for Home Fires caught me the very first time I heard it. It made me want to watch the show. That and the great photography and wonderful actors. To hear the theme song, scroll down and click on the yellow poster with Rosie the Riveter at http://lifeofwylie.com/2015/05/01/home-fires-interviews/

I couldn't get into Indian Summers and I usually watch all the Masterpiece series.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #391 on: October 28, 2015, 05:38:55 PM »
Doc Martin 7, the new series, is coming out on DVD on  December 8!! You can preorder it at Acorn or Amazon, it's only 26.00 at Amazon, and it's going to stream live from Acorn. I don't know what that would cost. I guess now that we have wifi I can stream? I have never understood the "streaming" thing.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #392 on: October 29, 2015, 10:13:07 PM »
That's great news about Doc Martin, Ginny. It must be broadcast in the U.S. in 2016.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #393 on: November 01, 2015, 02:42:13 PM »
We've got more episodes of HOME FIRES and INDIAN SUMMERS tonight.

There is a trailer out for the special SHERLOCK HOLMES that will premier next January. It's at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/watch-online/previews/sherlock-abominable-bride-trailer-2/

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #394 on: November 08, 2015, 10:03:31 PM »
The last episode of Home Fires airs tonight.

There is an interview with the composer of the wonderful theme music for the series at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/programs/features/interview/home-fires-s1-composer/

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #395 on: November 15, 2015, 08:39:07 PM »
Here's what's on my PBS station tonight.

There is a repeat 2-part program called: David Suchet in the Footsteps of St. Peter. There is a trailer for the program at https://www.visionvideo.com/dvd/501580D/david-suchet-in-the-footsteps-of-st-peter

That's followed by another episode of Indian Summers.

At 10 pm there's a 90-minute murder mystery, called "Murder on the Home Front." It's about a pathologist who uses groundbreaking forensics to solve murders during the London Blitz, during WWII. It's loosely based on the memoirs of Molly Lefebure, who was secretary during World War II to the Home Office Pathologist and pioneer of modern forensics, Keith Simpson.

See http://www.pbs.org/program/murder-home-front/ 

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #396 on: November 16, 2015, 01:05:54 PM »
That sounds really interesting and I missed it.  I'll check with PBS on my Apple TV and see if it is there.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #397 on: November 16, 2015, 02:37:26 PM »
Sometime back I know I saw the episode last night of Murder on the Home Front however, I am remembering it being part of a 3 episode series and this was the final story in that series but I do not recall the series being called Murder on the Home Front - the part underground reminded me also of the Bletchley Girls find a victim and later get there just in time to save another.

Between the Murder on the Home Front and Indian Summers Sunday night PBS has become uncomfortable to watch - I wonder why we see the servants in Downton as noble and admirable where as the Brits took that same system with them to India with the seeable difference, the servants are not coming up through the ranks starting many of them as poor country folks. Where as, in India it is Indians who carry out the same job and we, observing their work in film, as the Indians at the time, look down upon and do not consider the Indian servants as maintaining similar noble and admirable qualities as we do those who served in Britian. 

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #398 on: November 17, 2015, 02:18:21 PM »
I am so in withdrawal  over the loss of the Best British  Bake Off I'm watching the former episodes again.

I just love it. It's humanity in a nutshell.  And it really is a nice contrast to what else is on the news.  I can see why it's the highest rated program  in the UK or so they say.

I've now watched the entire Sherlock Holmes series with Benedict Cumberbach from the beginning, boy is it good. I love Martin Freeman (Watson). I just found out that the writer and producer is  Mark Gatiss, who played Gardiner in Wolf Hall.  What an imagination he has. What twists and turns. Oscar! Oscar!

That is a wonderful series.  Can't wait for the one in January. I really thought Sherlock was gone on the Falls one, how clever they were.

They asked me on the PBS site for comments. I asked them to please show the two newest shows on the Baking Show on PBS...I can only go back as far as 5 from the 2013 series on their site and I have those.  I have never understood why we get the British shows so much later. It must have something to do with monetary rights and costs. Hopefully BBC America will take it over.

Funny thing. I read where Mary Beard has been hearing people confuse her with Mary Berry (who is in her 80's) saying that awful Mary Berry going on and on about the Romans.  What a hoot.

But this has been a very good year for PBS!

I can't cook but I do know how it feels to compete in jelly and preserves and I love it. Actually that's funny, Ruby on the show said the same thing. She said she can't cook but she can bake.

Winchesterlady

« Reply #399 on: November 18, 2015, 12:19:11 PM »
Ginny -- I just saw on TV yesterday that ABC will be airing The Great Holiday Baking Show starting on Nov. 30, with Mary Berry as one of the judges. It's based on The Great British Bake Off, so this might help with your withdrawal symptoms. Here is a link with some info:

http://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwtv/article/Scoop-THE-GREAT-HOLIDAY-BAKING-SHOW-on-ABC-Monday-November-30-2015-20151117#
~ Carol ~