Author Topic: PBS Masterpiece 2015 ~ Downton Abbey and Other PBS Programs  (Read 103319 times)

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
Re: PBS Masterpiece 2015 ~ Downton Abbey and Other PBS Programs
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2015, 01:33:48 AM »

See the 2015 MASTERPIECE schedule

NOW DISCUSSING

Let's talk about PBS programs that we enjoy.

Downton Abbey, Season V

Watch the new season January 4 - February 22, 2015.

Discussion Leaders:  JoanP and marcie

Fairly early in the series Rose's family lost their fortune and the father was taking a post in I think either India or Australia - Rose and her mother were at odds with each other so it was suggested by Cora I believe that Rose live with them - the house that Rose grew up in was one of those many destroyed when the owners could not pay the taxes that were levied and the owners did not handle their wealth so that they were in debt.

Rose is still lively however, much calmer than the earlier episodes where she had not control over her impulses like any spoiled teen.

Do you get the feeling it is Thomas who is trying to set up Mr. Bates by arranging to find a witness that we still do not really know if Mr. Bates was even at the site where the Butler was pushed to his death. However, I am suspecting that Mr. Bates is who fenced the jewels that Baxter stole when she was a lady's maid earlier in her life.  
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Steph

« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2015, 08:50:47 AM »
Mary is being a fool.. I always thought of her as cool, but this certainly is not.. And sending her maid to get what she needed is not the least bit fair or right. Tom can do a whole lot better than the schoolteacher, who is not to my taste. I know he was a rebel , but I honestly thought he had settled in as a land manager. Cora has a suiter?? He was really really admiring of  her. Could Bates have known Baxter?? I did not know they had known each other.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

MaryPage

« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2015, 09:15:52 AM »
I can't find anything in past episodes that indicates that Bates ever knew Baxter.  No, I don't think there is any link there.  I think there is some type of family relationship between Thomas and Baxter, and that whatever the deeper (deeper than the theft itself, but the "what became of the stolen items" bit) hidden information is, Baxter cannot betray Thomas re the matter because it would hurt someone Baxter loves.  A child, a brother or sister, a parent.  SOMEone.

It seems fairly obvious that Baxter has a very strong desire to "go straight" and have a decent life.  But say what happened to the jewels, that she will not.  No, she is protecting someone here; and that someone is not herself.

I don't like the schoolteacher either, Steph.  I agree with a lot of her political views, but she is one of those strident, bully types I abhor.  Obviously, she has some good attributes, but she is poison to Tom.  I want Tom and Sibby to stay at Downton Abbey.  I guess basically because he loved Sybil so much and because that is her little girl.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2015, 12:06:00 PM »
I keep hoping Lady Mary comes to her senses regarding Lord Gillingham.

If the farmer would confide in his wife regarding Edith, she would be more understanding about the child.  When Anna found the photo of the little girl in Edith's bed, I'm sure mrs. Hughes got the connection between the farmer and Edith.  Mrs. Hughes was giving him some suspicious looks when Edith was talking to him after the fire.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2015, 12:38:05 PM »
Since she kept her affair so secret the only thing that Mrs. Hughes could imagine is she had the child with the Tenant Farmer - and no there is nothing that says or suggests that Baxter knew Bates - it was just a supposition on my part since we keep finding Bates has more and more underground skills and she won't report on him to Thomas.

Thomas has had it in for Bates ever since he arrived and when Thomas became the personal valet for Robert Crawley when the Earl was in New York he did not like going back to his job at the house and missed the status of the higher position. 
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Steph

« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2015, 09:08:30 AM »
I guess I am baffled as to why Cora and the Duke both listen to Thomas tattletailing.. Why..They know he is not that trustworthy and I remember the Duke did not like him as a valet.

jeriron

« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2015, 10:49:21 AM »
Well every time they seem to see him for what he is he does something that makes him look good. Like the fake saving of the dog a long while back and now the fire which really was heroic.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2015, 11:22:55 AM »
I think that Cora did say that she wasn't going to listen to Thomas and I think she would have let him go if he hadn't been heroic in the fire.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2015, 12:51:01 PM »
I think he is an Earl rather than a Duke - and the folks upstairs are not privy to all we know because we have a window into downstairs that upstairs does not share therefore, they really only see how he performs his duties and Robert did take him as his valet to New York so there would be a bond created because Thomas did his job well while they were in America.

Thomas may also be under the impression that Baxter did not really share her story in the way that called the kind of guilt and shame he wants her to feel so she is beholden to him.

CallieOK

« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2015, 02:39:38 PM »
I watched my recording of Sunday's DA episode last night.  In the opening scene,  whose bed are Anna and Mrs Hughes making - and what was the picture that Anna found under the pillow? 

(tongue in cheek here)  Oooh....did we see just a wee bit of remorse from Thomas when he "admitted" to Anna that he wasn't liked? 

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2015, 03:46:39 PM »
Callie it appeared to be Edith's bed with the photo of the little girls that is her secret child being cared for by the Tenant Farmer.

We forget how meaningful it was to have something under your pillow - we do not do that anymore - but I am remembering any bit of sentiment even pieces of special cake or flowers were tucked under the pillow and children tucked under their pillow favorite toys and letters to Fairies, God, Santa you name it - some powerful being that was going to bring them their most precious dream.

MaryPage

« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2015, 04:55:11 PM »
You are correct, Robert IS a mere Earl, and not a Duke.  Dukes way outrank Earls.  Cora is a Countess, not a Duchess, and Violet is the Dowager Countess.  The only thing that outranks a Duke, other than the Monarch, is a Royal Duke.  A Royal Duke is also a Prince.

Yes, that was Edith's room they were tidying up after the fire.  And she had been looking at a very small photo of her little girl just before she sobbed herself off to sleep before the fire took hold and nearly killed her.  She would definitely have been carried from the room without it.

CallieOK

« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2015, 05:02:49 PM »
Thank you for the clarification.  I should have thought of it being Edith's room, particularly since everything was so dark and dingy and Anna was wearing gloves.  I rewound/replayed and stopped the recording just as it showed Anna picking up the picture but I couldn't catch who it was.

In the "fire episode",  that scene went by so quickly that I suspect I didn't catch all the details of it, either and I hadn't recorded that episode so couldn't review.

Steph

« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2015, 08:51:48 AM »
Sorry about the Duke thing. Senior moments happen more often in the morning.. As I remember when they came back from NY, Robert had not liked him, but longed for Bates.
Daisy sort of baffles me. She only seems to like men who would not even consider her. She could be the treasured daughter in law of her late husbands Dad, who really really likes her and she acts like it is an imposition. The cook adores her.. Oh well.

MaryPage

« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2015, 08:57:15 AM »
Well apparently the letter Edith threw into her fire caught fire and then fell out onto the rug on the hearth in front of the fireplace and the rug and the room caught on fire.  Supposedly the smoke overcame the sleeping Edith, and Thomas, who was keeping a watch on the comings and goings of the family and their visitors in order to keep his friend and fellow footman from being caught making out with a visiting lady, rescued Edith and called out the alarm for all to get out.  When Edith was carried from her burning room, she was unconscious, and thus could not take the photo with her.  I am doubting the bit about there being no firescreen, as I think they would have been very careful about those things.  But who am I to mess up a good storyline?
Steph, I have the same memory you do about Robert not liking Thomas as a valet and yearning for Bates.  And yes, Daisy is just the most contrary young woman.  She does not seem to have told anyone at Downton that Mr. Mason, her father in law, intends to leave the farm and everything to her.  That is the REAL reason she has put her mind to learning accounting, and not the idea that she would take another job.

serenesheila

« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2015, 01:29:39 PM »
I had thought that Daisy wanted to learn accounting to qualify for a better job.  But now I can see that knowing how to keep thee books, will also bnefit her.

Favorite two male characters from our show are Carson, and Bates.  Can anyone tell me the names of the actors who portray them?  I am hoping that Carson and Mrs.Hughes  are about to become romantically involved.  As for favorite female characters, The Dowager, and Anna, get my vote.

Sheila

MaryPage

« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2015, 02:19:04 PM »
Ask and ye shall receive!  Actually, all you have to do is go to Google and type in "list cast Downton Abbey" and LO!  There you are:

https://www.google.com/#q=list+cast+of+Downton+Abbey

CallieOK

« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2015, 10:13:58 PM »
Aha!    Finally found out why I didn't know about Edith and the fire.   Discovered I had, indeed, recorded the first episode of the new season - so fast-forwarded through it until I came to the scene where she is reading in bed (is it the book Mrs. Hughes had found and given to her?), sees the picture and tosses the book away as she falls weeping onto her pillow.  The next thing shown is the book blazing on the carpet in front of the fireplace.

I must have dozed off while I was actually watching the episode because I do not remember seeing that particular segment.

I'll be better soon.   ;D

Steph

« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2015, 09:13:50 AM »
Yes the fire screen with fireplaces in each room would have been a definite thing.. Otherwise, they would have burned many mansions for sure.. But they needed to make Thomas a hero again.. I guess they just want to keep him on the show.
Edith.. She is going to cause problems for the husband of the family keeping her daughter.The wife is very very suspicious.l

serenesheila

« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2015, 01:33:29 PM »
Thanks, again, Mary.  Obviously, I still have a lot to learn about using my computer,   ???

Sheila

Steph

« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2015, 09:15:23 AM »
There was a truly funny Christmas thing of Downton Abbey. I saw it on facebook and just howled.

mabel1015j

« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2015, 08:32:13 PM »
Is anyone watching Galavant? It's on ABC Sun at 8:00. Lots of music, not always very good, lots of cameos, one of whom is the actress who plays Daisey on DA, other both English and American actors you will know. It's not great, but its fun.

I thought it might have been by a British studio, but Wili says it's American.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galavant

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2015, 03:30:51 AM »
Whee lots and lots of irons in the fire on Downton - do not think we have seen as many characters at one time with cliff hanging issues. It was lovely to see Cora having a lovely time with a lovely man - they looked more of a match then she and Robert although, she is not only loyal to Robert she sincerely loves him.

We had the first episode of Grantchester - pretty good - not riveting but good - the first I have seen of Robson Green as a mature male - he was always the heart-thrub - "Reckless" is how I remember him best.

and also another new one tonight - whew we have a bonanza going on - we've now the Doctor Blake mysteries - looks promising - darker than Grantchester - the start up indicates is was an Australian production. The accent on the actors does sound a bit different but I am not able to detect where the various English accents originate.

MaryPage

« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2015, 07:35:41 AM »
I always look forward with almost a hunger and thirst, certainly avid with interest, to every new PBS offering from Great Britain.  And I wind up fair astonished at what I like and want more of, and what I find useless to my sensibilities.
Thus I found Father Brown and Doctor Blake both failed to pull me in.  I found the first beyond silly and the second incoherent.
But last night, I loved Grantchester!  Loved it!  So, having tried and failed to like Father Brown or Doctor Blake twice each, I will not tune them in again, but Shetland and Grantchester will have my full and ardent attention, along with George Gently and DCI Banks.

Steph

« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2015, 08:58:09 AM »
Turned on TV in afternoon yesterday. Wow.. up popped Call the Midwife, which I adore, but alas it was a rerun.. Our PBS station just does not have that many English shows. Our PBS is owned by UCF,, so college things predominate.
Mary is being even more of a fool.. She just needs to spit it out.. She liked the fun, but doesn't want to marry him...

serenesheila

« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2015, 03:00:03 PM »
Steph, I heard, or read somewhere, that "Midwives" will return in March.

Sheila

Steph

« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2015, 08:43:18 AM »
Oh Sheila, I hope so, I did love the show.. The bikes break me up.

MaryPage

« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2015, 07:36:06 AM »
My favorite is Chummy;  Oh, I do so love Chummy.

jeriron

« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2015, 09:39:28 AM »
Did you know that Miranda Hart (Chummy) is actually a comedian? I have streaming and she had a show called Miranda. It was awful. Really not funny. It was all about her appearance. Tall clumsy and never being able to get a man. She spent the whole show falling over things.

Steph

« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2015, 08:27:50 AM »
Its the little teeny one that I like. Forget her name, but she is so very bright and determined.. A character trait that I admire.

MaryPage

« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2015, 09:58:20 AM »
You mean Cynthia?  Played by Bryony Hannah.  Did you see what she becomes in the very last episode?  I don't want to spoil it for you if you have not seen the latest season yet.  I love her, too.  Always so quiet and yet fiesty.

Steph

« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2015, 01:29:15 PM »
yes, Cynthia.. As far as I can determine, I have only seen one year of this, so I have ordered the first year on Netflix..

MaryPage

« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2015, 08:00:03 AM »
You have a treat in store, as I have thoroughly enjoyed every episode of every season.
I am still finding Scott & Bailey to be one of the best acted series I have ever seen out of Great Britain.  And the new Grantchester is ever so sweet.  The murder mysteries in and of themselves are not all that fascinating, but the young rector (downright heartbreaker, he is!) and his policeman friend (also one of the greats when it comes to acting!) and the housekeeper and the childhood sweetheart who is to marry someone else, well, these all grabbed my heart and ran with it and I find myself addicted to life as it is lived in Grantchester.

Steph

« Reply #73 on: January 27, 2015, 08:39:13 AM »

Downton gets more and more complicated with the persistant policeman, now after Anna?? who was not even in London at the time of death.. or was she somehow?? She was running an errand for Mary as always. Mary is about to discover how bad life can get, since I think that Tony has no intention of allowing her to get away from him.
Edith drives me nuts. Tell your Mother, she will welcome the little girl and your Dad will probably as well after an initial roar.. She seems determined to be sad.. How awful.

MaryPage

« Reply #74 on: January 27, 2015, 08:53:31 AM »
Different times.  Different times.

The whole family would have been disgraced and scorned by all "god-fearing, church going society" had the word slipped out that the Lady Edith had a child out of wedlock.  She cannot carry it on her back to smear the family name and ruin her parents standing in "proper society."  And indeed, even the loving parents might not be able to cope with such news.  She might be sent to Canada or some such, forever and ever.  Or an unwanted marriage be arranged.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #75 on: January 27, 2015, 01:05:23 PM »
I think too many incidents were covered in Sunday's episode and nothing covered well.  I agree that Mary has made a mistake with Lord Gillingham.  He is going to make her rue her brief romance, if you can call it that.  However, she is better to break it off before she gets any deeper.
What about Barrow.  Is it possible he has sugar diabetes?

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #76 on: January 27, 2015, 02:27:26 PM »
I bet I bet I bet Mr. Barrow is taking the meds to change his homosexuality much as the Brits demanded of the scientist - forget his name - that a current movie is featuring his life as the first to break the German code and in the process established the basis for the computer today.

And Miss Bunting does go too far - she really geodes Lord Grantham - unnecessary - even if Tom leaves he could do far better than Miss Bunting. Talk about wearing your prejudice on your sleeve.

Edith is like the runt of the litter - can anything more fall on her shoulders - I still think her Michael was imprisoned while in Germany - we shall see what we shall see. 

MaryPage

« Reply #77 on: January 27, 2015, 07:03:53 PM »
Sounded more to me like Michael was going to have been killed by the early Nazis.  Whatever, if he is finally declared dead, I'll bet he has left Edith in charge of his empire.  He as much as told her that before he left for Germany to pursue citizenship and obtain a divorce so that he could come back to England and marry her.

Good guess about Barrow.  Don't know whether it is so or not, but fits in alright.

I get sick and tired of all the bad things threatening Bates and Anna.  I think the only reason she walked the note all the way to Gillingham's home was so that she could see where Green was killed FOR THE FIRST TIME.  I think it had nothing whatsoever to do with her ever having been there previously or having killed Green herself.  She is still scared Bates may have done it, and wanted to see the WHERE of it.

I cannot stand that Miss Bunting.  No matter her politics, she was being rude to a man IN HIS OWN HOME.  I was brought up that that is totally unacceptable and ill bred.  Besides, you should never discuss politics or religion in someone elses home.  When someones guest, you should never, EVER be rude to them.  And while enjoying their food served to you! Scheesch. My family would all be twirling in their graves if I ever behaved like that!

Steph

« Reply #78 on: January 28, 2015, 09:01:40 AM »
Yes, Toms new friend is truly obnoxious.. Tom could do so much better..  I guess is the times were different. I think if Ediths friend is dead, she should take the little girl and go to Canada if her father will give her an allowance of some type.
Barrow.. I guess I am assuming he is addicted.

MaryPage

« Reply #79 on: January 28, 2015, 12:15:51 PM »
Woo hoo!  The 5th season set of DVDs just arrived in my mail from Barnes and Noble.  Now I can binge to my hearts content and get all the answers.  Wonder what this seasons cliffhanger ending will be?