Author Topic: PBS Masterpiece 2015 ~ Downton Abbey and Other PBS Programs  (Read 103328 times)

ginny

• Administrator
Re: PBS Masterpiece 2015 ~ Downton Abbey, Sherlock and Other PBS Programs
« Reply #400 on: November 18, 2015, 03:57:39 PM »

See the 2015-2016 MASTERPIECE schedule

Let's talk about PBS programs that we enjoy.

COMING IN JANUARY

Sherlock - The Abominable Bride
January 1; repeated on January 10, 2016

Benedict Cumberbatch (The Imitation Game) and Martin Freeman (The Hobbit) return as Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson in the acclaimed modern retelling of Arthur Conan Doyle's classic stories. But now, our heroes find themselves in 1890s London.

Downton Abbey Season 6
January 3- March 6, 2016

Rejoin this Emmy® and Golden Globe® award-winning drama for a sixth and final season.

ALREADY DISCUSSED

Indian Summers
September 27- November 22, 2015

Set in a subtropical paradise during the twilight era of the British Empire, Indian Summers explores the collision of the ruling class English with their Indian subjects, and the intricate game of power, politics, and passion that ensues. Julie Walters (Harry Potter, Oscar® nominee for Billy Elliot and Educating Rita) stars as Cynthia Coffin, the glamorous doyenne of an English social club, and is joined by Henry Lloyd-Hughes, Jemima West, Nikesh Patel, Roshan Seth, and Lillete Dubey.

Home Fires
October 4 - November 8, 2015

At the heart of a rural English village on the verge of the Second World War, a diverse group of women with personal struggles, conflicting views and a shared mission forge a community that will inspire their finest hour. Samantha Bond (Downton Abbey) and Francesca Annis (Reckless, Cranford) head an ensemble cast in the moving wartime drama, Home Fires, based on Jambusters, Julie Summers’ history of Britain’s Women’s Institute.

Sherlock, Seasons 2 and 3
August 16 - September 20, 2015

While we wait for Season 4 of Sherlock (said to be broadcast in 2017), we can watch encore presentations of the exploits of the world's only consulting detective, Sherlock Holmes, and his long-suffering faithful friend, Dr. John Watson in Seasons 2 and 3. Starring Benedict Cumberbatch (Star Trek Into Darkness; The Imitation Game) and Martin Freeman (The Hobbit trilogy).

Arthur & George
September 6- 20, 2015

Martin Clunes (Doc Martin) stars as Sir Arthur Conan Doyle in a three-part MASTERPIECE adaptation of a novel by Julian Barnes based on real events. Outraged by injustice to an Anglo-Indian solicitor, the famed author uses the methods of his own fictional detective to get at the truth. Co-starring are Arsher Ali (The Missing) as George Edalji; and Charles Edwards (Downton Abbey) as Alfred Wood, Sir Arthur’s real-life “Dr. Watson.”

Poldark, Season 1

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT

Thanks to our Masterpiece friends at the WGBH Educational Foundation in Boston, SeniorLearn is in possession of two DVD sets of Season 1 of the current Poldark to give away. Winners of these DVDs will be selected at random from people who post in the PBS Masterpiece discussion from June 21 through August 7. You may post as many messages as you like but only one post will count as your entry. Winners will be notified by email (to the email address associated with your username on SeniorLearn) during the second week of August when we'll request their postal address in order to send the DVD. To be eligible to receive the DVD you must live in the contiguous United States (for postage considerations).

June 21 - August 2, 2015
Set in the picturesque, seaside county of Cornwall, Poldark follows a rough-and-ready hero with nothing to lose as he tries to restore his community, fortune, and family name. It’s 1783, and Britain is in a crisis of falling wages, rising goods prices, and civil unrest. Dashing, adventurous scoundrel Ross Poldark (Aidan Turner) returns from fighting overseas to find his world dramatically changed: his family estate is in ruins, his father has died, and his sweetheart is engaged to another. Poldark is based on the first two novels in Winston Graham’s sweeping 18th-century saga. The first television adaptation of the series aired on MASTERPIECE in the 1970s, and now a new generation can delight in the exploits of a romantic hero like no other.

Mr. Selfridge, Season 3
March 29 - May 17, 2015
All sales are final as Harry Selfridge gambles his store, his fortune, and his personal happiness on an audacious retail strategy in Mr. Selfridge, Season 3.

Wolf Hall

Wolf Hall, a six-hour miniseries adapted from Hilary Mantel’s best-selling Booker Prize-winning novels: Wolf Hall and its sequel, Bring Up the Bodies, airs on Sundays, April 5 to May 10, 2015 at 10pm. Wolf Hall stars Emmy and Golden Globe Award-winner Damian Lewis (Homeland) and Tony Award-winner Mark Rylance (Twelfth Night) and shines a spotlight on Thomas Cromwell's involvement in King Henry VIII's marriage to and divorce from Anne Boleyn. See http://www.pbs.org/wolfhall and http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/programs/wolf-hall/

Discussion Leaders:  JoanP and marcie

ginny

• Administrator
Re: PBS Masterpiece 2015 ~ Indian Summers, Home Fires and Other PBS Programs
« Reply #401 on: November 18, 2015, 04:12:28 PM »
SHRIEK!!

THANK you  Winchester Lady!! I would never have known! I will set  the DVR set for the entire thing, have a BIG post it  on the computer,  what FUN!

They tried it here once before and it did not go. I hope they have made the adjustments needed so Americans will enjoy it, I will, anyway. MANY thanks.

They had 13,000 people apply for the last Bake Off which just finished in the UK. 13,000.

I have high hopes for this!

:) Early Christmas present! All thanks to YOU!

Winchesterlady

Re: PBS Masterpiece 2015 ~ Indian Summers, Home Fires and Other PBS Programs
« Reply #402 on: November 18, 2015, 08:37:34 PM »
You are most welcome Ginny. I just recently started watching this program and really enjoyed it. Am looking forward to this short version on ABC also.
~ Carol ~

ginny

• Administrator
Re: PBS Masterpiece 2015 ~ Downton Abbey, Sherlock and Other PBS Programs
« Reply #403 on: November 24, 2015, 06:26:29 PM »
:)  And here's another treat for fans of The  Best British Bake  Off:  they've made a super hour long show on what happened to the contestants  after the show was over and it's here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9hZDLCvZNU

It's an upper and fun to watch. Very enjoyable.

rosemarykaye

Re: PBS Masterpiece 2015 ~ Downton Abbey and Other PBS Programs
« Reply #404 on: December 04, 2015, 09:06:47 AM »
Not sure if this is the right page, but I just wanted to recommend a programme that Madeleine and I are currently watching, and which might find its way to you.

It's called Capital and it's a drama based on a street in Tooting (SW London - used to be quite shabby, but like everywhere else around there, on the up and up) and the people who live there, from the long-time residents who are now sitting on multi-million pound properties that their children can't wait to sell, but who have little disposable income, to the new influx of bankers and other financial types, to the Pakistanis running the local corner shop.

Toby Jones, who is a fantastic actor, plays a banker who lives in a very smartened up house with his avaricious wife, two small children and nanny. He is so gutted when he is told that his annual bonus (which of course his wife has already spent) amounts to only £30,000, when he was anticipating several million (quote 'you have no idea how little you can get for 1 million these days') that he actually throws up in the board room lavatory.

Meanwhile all of the residents of the street start receiving anonymous cards saying 'We want what you have', followed by DVDs showing that they have all been secretly filmed. A police officer starts to investigate.

There are many other characters, including Polish builders making a mint out of the endless renovations, an old lady's (Gemma Jones, also brilliant) grandson, who leads a mysterious double life, and the mother of the Pakistani shop keeper who flies over to sort her family out. One of the sons has an acquaintance who is a radicalised Muslim (whereas the son is laid back to the point of horizontal and very Westernised). It's all very topical.

There are three episodes and we've seen two so far; the plot is engrossing, as is the all too well known social phenomenon that underlies it. It is based on a novel by John Lanchester, who says he wanted to write about Londoners' total obsession with property prices. He lives there, and says that is almost literally all people ever talk about at social events.

Anyway, the acting is excellent so I thought you might want to look out for it. It's on BBC One.

Rosemary

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #405 on: December 04, 2015, 11:07:00 AM »
Thanks for that good information about the program, Rosemary. I couldn't find the show playing on BBC America but I'll watch for it in the future.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #406 on: December 04, 2015, 01:36:36 PM »
Rosemary here we will see this scenario - or rather the social cause - played out in the new movie 99 Homes - how those wanting more and more completely discard the value of "Home" to a family which is hitting hard at the middle class values which have been so eroded by the chess board risks banking and corporations have been playing the past 20 or more years. 

We are having fund drive time and where our station said they were going to maintain the normal programming with simply a request after each they found after a week it was not working - two reasons - few were renewing their commitments and the programing available was only repeats with nothing new - ends up that fund raising programing are better than repeats. The fund raising programing has built in the fund raising so they cannot adjust that without an override and if so then what do they put on the air to override the 10 or 15 minutes of canned fund raising banter.

I guess it is better than the constant interruptions with ads on regular TV - hmmm Haha finally figured out why the English call what we consider Private schools they call Public schools - that's it - we call PBS Public TV because it is financed by public support - we sure do not call the rest of the TV stations private but since they are funded mostly by corporations that buy ads I bet programing has to satisfy their taste and values - hmmm now you have to wonder if the slant of the news is also affected.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #407 on: December 04, 2015, 06:18:17 PM »
I heard about that book when it came out and nearly bought it (Capital). It has rave reviews and it reminds me I haven't read it so I ordered it. Thank you, Rosemary, for mentioning it!

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #408 on: December 06, 2015, 05:05:28 PM »
Interesting on our other PBS channel - we now have four from our local KLRU - the usual - a cooking, craft, house building, travel station - a Spanish programming from PBS - and then another with programming that cannot be squeezed into the normal schedule, a few repeats and always the later repeat of the Newshour - well tonight opposite all the fund raising hooha about Downton on the main channel there will be an opportunity to see on the alternate channel -

HOW TO GET AHEAD, about three  courts in European history to discover what it took for a courtier to survive and prosper. The Medieval, Renaissance, and Baroque periods, the program investigates incidents ranging from bribery to blackmail, sycophancy to sporting prowess, and partying to praying. Along the way, the series showcases the great paintings, sculptures and bejeweled treasures that unlock the secrets to life at court.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #409 on: December 07, 2015, 01:50:05 PM »
News!   SCETV is showing the first episode of Doc Martin, season 7, on Saturday, December 12th at 9pm!~

Winchesterlady

« Reply #410 on: December 08, 2015, 09:55:27 AM »
Ginny ... What is SCETV?
~ Carol ~

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #411 on: December 08, 2015, 10:52:16 AM »
Ginny, you're lucky. I can't find a schedule for Doc Martin 7 on my local PBS station yet.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #412 on: December 08, 2015, 05:49:14 PM »
South Carolina ETV.  :)

Meanwhile Doc Martin series 7 appeared on my doorstep today from Amazon. Can't wait to see it but I do like to see it on PBS, the screen is bigger.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #413 on: December 12, 2015, 01:47:44 PM »
I just couldn't stand it. I'm watching Doc Martin 7 on DVD and it is soooo good. I won't spill any details but they have not lost their touch at all. A real treat.

Also there's a nice article about Julian Fellowes (Downton Abbey) about why Downton Abbey seems to appeal and how he's gathering material to work on a new series about American rich in today's Wall Street Journal.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #414 on: December 12, 2015, 03:47:38 PM »
An American Downton Abbey. LOL. It takes the British to put on a good show for America :-)

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #415 on: December 13, 2015, 10:02:17 AM »
And haven't they done a good job? This past year has been one wonderful event after another.

I think Fellowes will have a rich field to pick from in America, because we had our own  Downton Abbeys right here in the Vanderbilts  and others. The origin of the money was different (but then look at Cora, whose money saved Downton and it was American).  It's fascinating. Too bad Dominick  Dunne didn't think of that--thinking of the Two Mrs. Grenvilles actually. Fellowes  could go on for a long time with the "American Aristocracy." :)

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #416 on: December 13, 2015, 10:44:57 AM »
The "Gilded Age" in America.  That should be interesting.  Several years ago we visited The Breakers in Newport, RI.  The children's playhouse was almost the size of a regular house.  I haven't seen The Biltmore in Asheville which is even more imposing from what I've read.  According to the tour guide at The Breakers, the third floor of the mansion is off limits and is a residence for Vanderilt family members when they visit.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #417 on: December 13, 2015, 10:49:49 AM »
I thought it interesting during the special for our fund raising Julian Fellows was on at one point - have no idea what he was talking about since for me it was background noise - they really used up Downton in this particular fund drive so I was half paying attention and all of a sudden I realized he was talking at length about something and there was a tension in his voice - just ever so slight and I wondered what he was talking about -

I was in the next room so in I went and surprise to me he was talking about how the story changed and what they did to deal with the death of Matthew Crawley - nothing said outright except a distinct change in his voice and I realized he has never gotten past Dan Stevens leaving -

Then I thought - you know I have not heard of Stevens in other productions - I thought that was the deal - he did not want to be type caste and was tired of playing the part of Matthew. Looked up his name and evidently he moved to New York and will soon be in Beauty and the Beast opposite Emma Watson.

I know this does sound sinister but I wonder how long an arm Julian Fellows has and the only opening for Stevens was out of Britain.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #418 on: December 13, 2015, 11:14:09 AM »
Stevens has played in several productions. The last one I saw was  Night at the Museum III or whatever the title  was and he was excellent as Lancelot. Just a hoot! I watched it twice just to see him.

He's done 10 films since Downton  (IMDb won't let me copy them here) and has three in either post production or coming in 2016 and 2017.

I imagine his loss was a bigger one than we thought, tho, I think you're right.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #419 on: December 14, 2015, 07:25:21 AM »
Hooray,  the Golden Globe nominations are out.   Wolf Hall is up for three that  I can see so far. Best actor, Mark  Rylance, best series Wolf Hall, and best supporting actor,  Damien Lewis.

Mark Rylance is also up for Bridge of Spies.

I hope this time they'll  get something.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #420 on: December 18, 2015, 10:49:12 AM »
If I read it correctly, yesterday's BBC on the IPad said that 7 of the 10 top rated  shows on BBC One last year were episodes of  the Great British Bake Off, and it is #1 in viewers. I do hope that PBS will show more of them here.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #421 on: December 18, 2015, 01:14:07 PM »
Ginny tell us - what is it that you like about these shows? It sounds like they appeal to you more than most of the shows currently on PBS - what is it about this show that you are enjoying?

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #422 on: December 18, 2015, 05:17:34 PM »
:) Am I going on and on again? hahaha No they really don't appeal to me more. My favorite show on PBS last year was Wolf Hall, followed closely by Doc Martin, and  Sherlock. I stopped watching Downton a couple of years ago.

I do like The Great British Bake Off but I like a lot of shows from different countries, used to be fascinated by Amadeo on Italian TV, that quiz show, I've forgotten the name of it,  was a classic. Berlusconi did not like him, so he's just now back on. Italian TV has changed a LOT in the intervening years but he was fascinating in those old shows,  he really was.   I have an entire set of the old Dad's Army, I have strange taste. I even like the British  show that people complain about, the one with the two people (I especially like the fussy little man in the sporty little car, going around to antique shops and then selling the things at auction to compete with each other. Nicely).

The Great British Bake Off seems to consist of civil people who look and act normal. It seems you could meet any of them on the street. They are nice to each other and supportive while trying their best to win. No snarky remarks.  They help each other and seem to feel genuinely sorry when things go wrong for the others. What's not to like? Compare that to things like our Cutthroat Kitchen, Kitchen/ Supermarket  Wars, etc.,  and some of the Presenters on the Food Network Show, two  of whom appear to have stuck their fingers in a light socket.

The Bake Off folks appear to be real people who are nice and who seem to have an awful lot of talent which I don't have. The four Presenters are all good, nice yin and yang there between them.  I have learned a lot about baking,  which I rarely do,  from watching it, those little strips of parchment paper that Ruby put under her tarts, and how she avoided the problems a lot of them had getting them out of the pans. I like the little segment at the end where they explain the history of the particular dessert they made.

I bought one of Mary Berry's cookbooks and was astounded at how simple the ingredients are and what she can make of them.

I guess for me  it's a guilty pleasure:  a happy, even comforting  hour of watching nice people do amazing things, a little pleasant competition, and having fun. Sort of akin to settling down with a good book, a fire, and something I really shouldn't eat.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #423 on: December 19, 2015, 09:25:41 AM »
Ginny, we have recently also had 'The Great Pottery Throwdown' which, whilst maybe not as universally popular as the Bake Off, was well worth watching in our opinion. As in GBBO, the competitors were all lovely people who helped one another and rushed to each other's aid when something fell to bits or was about to topple over. The judges - especially the man - were something else! He was a master potter and he literally cried with joy whenever he was touched by the efforts of one of the contestants. He also gave demos and his skill was amazing. It took place in the Potteries (Stoke on Trent) so there were some interesting historical bits as well.

I think we must be well ahead of you in the GBBO series, as the most recent one here was not the Ruby one - but its contestants were equally interesting and the eventual winner was wonderful.

Mary Berry is such a great cook and I love her books - especially the older ones before she was famous - as they are so simple and straightforward. We used to have a video of her demonstrating how to make cakes, and she was so 'human', saying things like 'books always tell you you have to get cakes into the oven the moment they are mixed, but if you need to leave the raw mixture for half an hour to collect children from school, it will be absolutely fine'. I have two ancient paperbacks of hers, 'Fast Cakes' and 'More Fast Cakes' and they are both falling apart with use - every recipe I have tried works, and few require ingredients you don't already have. Brilliant.

Rosemary

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #424 on: December 19, 2015, 10:02:25 AM »
Yes, far different is the British Cake competition then the greatest race of whatever it is called  where they get clues in different locations and have to beat other groups of two to another destination or that one where they live on an island with nothing and have to create life on what they can take from the earth - both seem to bring out less than kind attitudes towards their fellow contestants as compared to those participating in the bake show. Yes, it is a nice way to spend some time on a Sunday evening so I can see now what it is that is so attractive about this show.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #425 on: December 21, 2015, 09:20:07 PM »
:) It's pretty addictive.

Rosemary, there's another program  which sounds wonderful.  We don't get it here. Is that produced by the same people who do the Bake Off? Are they called Love or something  productions?  How clever they are.  It's unusual to me to see something like  that on TV, so it's marvelously interesting.

Fast Cakes is still available! Thank you so much for mentioning it. I must have one.

I have to say that's one thing I really love about the UK. The books! For instance the books on growing roses, they tackle some pretty esoteric and quite advanced  stuff cheerfully while assuming the reader is up to their level and by gum when the reader is through he really might be close.  I love that approach, the assumption that the reader or viewer is an equal and perfectly capable of knowing these facts  but they tell you anyway,  just as an aside, as a fellow enthusiast,  to "refresh" your memory, and that technique includes rather than intimidates the viewer/ reader, and lifts him to another level. I don't know what you call that approach but they do it on the Bake Off and it works, it really does.

And I will now shut up about the Bake Off (I promise.) hahahaa

rosemarykaye

« Reply #426 on: December 22, 2015, 03:45:00 AM »
Ginny, here is a link to the BBC page re the pottery programme:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06nwm7b

It is indeed also made by Love Productions.

I hope you like the Mary Berry Fast Cakes book - be warned, it's basic and there are no pictures, but it's been my 'cake Bible' for more years than I care to remember.

Rosemary

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #427 on: December 28, 2015, 04:45:13 PM »
Thank you  Rosemary. It won't let us watch it here in the US, but Youtube has some short bits of it and I've watched them all, another wonderful show.  I love creative people.

Very creative show, love it. Maybe next year here.

Oh I've alredy told my DIL about the Fast Cakes, and she's really interested, too. Do you have a favorite to try the first time from the book?

Guess what just came in the mail? It was mailed December 9 from the UK. It is a jar of Merchant Gourmet Dulce de Leche. hahahaa Yes it is!

Now all I have to do is get that type of flour that you use there, apparently it affects the rise, I think here in the US King  Arthur's makes it, and a gram scale and I have no excuse, do I, for not making Millionaire's bars?

Oh man, such fun!

I hope everybody has their DVR's set for Sherlock on January 1, it's to be broadcast at the same time in the UK, an idea whose time surely has come. I really like that Mark Gatiss.(Mycroft in Sherlock/ Gardiner in Wolf Hall),writer and producer of Sherlock. 

Zulema

« Reply #428 on: December 31, 2015, 12:12:55 AM »
Dulce de Leche from the UK, that is a hoot, Ginnie.  I make my own and it's very good, but I haven't in a long time.  And I still love Downton and have never missed any of them.  But then I watched Brideshead Revisited eleven times.  I am finding the forever Downtons and commentaries a bit much though.  By the way, I have read the Grantchester books and they are so much better than the TV episodes.

Happy New Year, people, and I'll try not to forget to come here a bit more often.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #429 on: December 31, 2015, 11:56:11 AM »
Zulema, it's great to see you here. Yes, the last season of Downton Abbey starts this Sunday! There is an 11 minute audio "podcast" about the new season at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/programs/features/podcast/get-ready-downton-abbey-final-season/

And, before that, as Ginny has reminded us, "Sherlock: The Abominable Bride," a 90-minute special, will premiere tomorrow, Friday, January 1, 2016, on MASTERPIECE Mystery! on PBS at 9:00pm ET, and simultaneously online at pbs.org/masterpiece. The special will have an encore broadcast on Sunday, January 10, at 10:00pm ET. This is the first time that Sherlock has premiered in the US and the UK on the same day. There is a new trailer for the program at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/watch-online/previews/sherlock-abominable-bride-trailer-2/

Watching this Sherlock special seems a good way to start the new year. Happy new year everyone!

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #430 on: December 31, 2015, 12:12:00 PM »
Let's move to a new PBS discussion for 2016. It's here.....

http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=4871.msg272698#msg272698