Author Topic: Introductions...Please click here and tell us about YOU!  (Read 186253 times)

ClassicsAdmin

• TopicManager
Introductions...Please click here and tell us about YOU!
« on: December 28, 2008, 07:53:12 AM »

Please post and introduce yourself!  We're looking forward to getting to know you.

Guidelines for posting your photos

Click on the Discussion Index on the menubar near the top of every page to see what we offer:

ginny

• Administrator
Re: Introductions...Please click here and tell us about YOU!
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 12:47:56 PM »
Welcome, to SeniorLearn's Books and Classics. We are glad you came, and look forward to hearing what your interests are, and whatever you'd like to share about your own life.

If you are looking for  people enthusiastic about books and reading and lifelong learning, you have come to the right place!

Let's get to know each other, some of us may be involved with the Latin Courses here, some of us may be avid readers,  and some of us may be a combination of both.

All of us are glad you came, it's starting out a  fabulous new year, help us make it a reality with your own contributions!

Welcome home.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 01:17:46 PM »
It may seem that many people here already know one another.  Some have just met, others are old friends.  Consider yourself our new old friend.  We are so glad you found your way here.  We'd love to know more about you - and then if you like, you can stop in the Library and chat about what you like to read.  How did you find us? 

We have several new discussions scheduled for opening later today, more tomorrow.  Stay tuned, there is sure to be something you will like.

Welcome!

ALF43

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 03:27:56 PM »
INTRODUCTIONS:

I love it.  Here we all find ourselves in a different venue from ever before and I am so excited to be a part of this group.  I can't wait to meet and greet my "old" SNet friends from Books & Lit. and to have the privilege of meeting "new" friends.  Some here may be voracious readers, chomping at the bit to devour a good book and share their thoughts with others or some may be reticent about voicing their preferences.  You will soon learn that everybody here is anxious to hear from you and about you.  We assemble for the glory of the written word.
 Each of us have a different assessment  of what a "good read" is -- so tell us what your opinion is.  Come in, sit down and join our group.  You will surprised of the joy you will find as you become comfortable.
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

Robby

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 04:23:25 PM »
Who and what am I?  Part of my time I am a mild-mannered reporter who spends lots of time in phone booths.  I am 88 years old as of last Sept. 25 and because of that often have delusions.  I am a slow reader and have been bogged down in the same book for seven years now.  It is called The Story of Civilization by Will and Ariel Durant.  In a moment of illogic, the "powers that be" here designated me to be a Discussion Leader guiding us through the fifth volume entitled The Renaissance.  That site will soon be available for any and every one here to join in.  It is a fun site.  We joke a lot.  We laugh a lot.  We pull up links of architecture, etc.  But somehow underneath we seriously examine the foibles and accomplishments of those people living from the Year 1350 on.  At the same time we conjecture how different or similar to ourselves they are.  No one in the site is an expert, especially me, so if you do not consider yourself an expert, do we have the place for you!!

Robby

Linus

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 02:56:42 PM »

Here I am, the silent one without much to say.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 02:58:55 PM »
Oh, funny!  Linus, that is an understatement!  We're glad to hear from you nonetheless!  How did you find us?

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 03:17:39 PM »
Welcome Linus!  We are really pleased to see you here.

Come on now tell us a little something about yourself and also tell us how you found us.

We all want to get to know you.

Joan Grimes
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

Gumtree

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 10:37:10 PM »
Hi Linus - A Silent One Hmmm... I'm silent too - some of the time  ;)
Believe me, Seniorlearn will get you talking....Welcome.
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 09:51:39 AM »
Linus, you'll be surprised.  The folks here bring out the best in everyone, even the silent ones.  Welcome!  We're glad you're here.

We assemble for the glory of the written word.

Andy, I love that.  There's no way it could have been said better.

gingerw

• Michigan
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 07:36:02 PM »
Thanks Joan P for inviting me here. Thanks Jane for helping me get here.

I as in the process of reading the book A Pigeon And A Boy byMeir Shalev lead by our DL Pedln when one day in June when in town I was seeing fireworks in my left eye so went home to bed when I got up the left eye was ok but the right eye was seeing fireworks so called my eye Doctor to tell his staff my problem so the doctor seen me as soon as he was in town after he examined my eyes he left the room on his return said I have made an appointment with a neorosurgeon this afternoon be there I said ok and did see the neorosurgeon who after examination put me on eighty mgs of Predinsone a day for my eyes and took a biopsy of the vien in my temple, the results was that I had Temporal Arteritis. I am now down to five mgs a day and just got my glasses last week. 

I felt bad about missing the books bash in NY as I only missed two bashes while on S/N and there were a lot two many for me to count  ::)

Any way that is why I have not been on the net much any where, only a few words where I was a DL.

Happy New Year to all!!!

The not so silent one, Ginger
Ginger

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2008, 10:03:01 PM »
Welcome Ginger!!

We are so glad to see you here.  It is great that you are doing so much better and can be here at our new home SeniorLearn.

We are so excited to have you as part of this adventure here.

Joan Grimes

gingerw

• Michigan
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2008, 11:34:04 PM »
Thanks Joan Grimes it means so much to me to be here again.
Ginger

Robby

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2008, 06:49:48 AM »
Hi, Gingee!  Take good care of yourself.

Robby

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2008, 11:31:53 AM »
HELLO GINGER!

Am so happy you are here!  We are all getting together again and it is good isn't it! 

Hope your eyes continue to improve. 

Loveya, Ella

Aberlaine

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2008, 01:04:05 PM »
I'm new to this site, but not new to SeniorNet or Seniors and Friends.  I'm an avid reader and have taken part in several of the book discussions on the old site.  I'm so happy to be reunited with other book lovers!

Nancy

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2008, 01:14:33 PM »
Aberlaine!!  Welcome.  WE are so happy that you have joined us here.  We look forward to hearing lots from you as our book discussions begin.  I remember you from book discussions on SeniorNet.

It is just great to see that you found this site.

Joan Grimes

Aberlaine

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2008, 01:25:45 PM »
Joan, after what we've been through it feels so good to be home!!  I'm looking forward to discussing books with my old friends again.

Nancy

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2008, 03:33:46 PM »
Aberlaine,

I think we all feel the same way.

Joan Grimes

gingerw

• Michigan
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2008, 07:36:28 PM »
Hi Ella Glad you are out of the hospital. I missed some thing, what were you in there for?

Hey there King Robby do take care of your self also.

So good to be home with my extended family.

Happy New year
Ginger

gingerw

• Michigan
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2008, 07:38:55 PM »
Hi Nancy!!!
Ginger

CallieOK

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2009, 03:00:59 PM »
Hello to some familiar names.  I didn't see a Quick Reply box at the bottom of the page so I hope this works.

I'm so glad to find this site and am looking forward to learning about various books - although I'll probably lurk more than I contribute.

CallieK from SeniorNet

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2009, 03:05:37 PM »
Welcome Callie!  It is so good to see you here.  Tell everyone more about yourself.  I know that many of us know you but we would like to let everyone get to know you better.

Joan Grimes

CallieOK

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2009, 03:22:06 PM »
Hello, Joan.  Thanks for the welcome.

I live in central Oklahoma, volunteer at The Oklahoma History Center and have been an avid reader all my life.  I suppose I'm an eclectic reader but particularly like well-researched historical fiction, light fiction and biographies.
In recent years, I have beome more interested in non-fiction 20th century history and a few mystery authors.

I'm not very good at discussing the finer points of books but I love learning about what others are reading and trying some of the selections.

Our metro library system has an excellent on-line catalog and I sometimes get myself in a lot of trouble by clicking "Reserve" more than I should.  :)

ALF43

« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2009, 04:02:23 PM »
Hello Callie.  I think we met in Quebec didn't we at Eloise's Seniornet gathering, last year?

You pushed the right button (REPLY) to post your message , so you are now considered an accomplished member.  I, too, am an eclectic reader but gravitate more to histoical fiction.  Let's come up with a good book to discuss, with that thought in mind, shall we?

Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2009, 11:43:09 PM »
This photo of my grandchildren  at Christmas is an example of a correctly sized photo.

All my grandchildren, including 3 great grands.

gingerw

• Michigan
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2009, 01:40:44 AM »
Hi Callie, Good to see you here. Ginger wright remember me I remember you and still have the rose rock you us all.
Ginger

Robby

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2009, 06:35:19 AM »
Hi Callie!

Nice to see old friends.

Robby

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2009, 09:40:30 AM »
Welcome, Callie! So good to see you here.

JoanG what a gorgeous family!!!

fairanna

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2009, 11:02:41 AM »
Time to introduce myself .....having started with SeniorNet at aol in '94 I feel like an old timer ..I have followed it through thick and thin and even if it no longer knows what is should be doing I thank GOD this group does....for those who dont know me I am short 5' and getting old on the outside but inside I am still the 22 year old I feel  Ready to start something new and contribute  ..to read and share thoughts with others like me ...it is good to see all of my "young friends " here...reading and discussing keeps you young...if I could I would jump in the air and click my heels....fairanna

Gumtree

« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2009, 11:06:31 AM »
JoanG: Great photo! Make sure there is a copy for everyone in it - It will become a prized possession!
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2009, 11:36:11 AM »
Thanks for telling us about yourself fairanna.  It is so good to be able to come to SeniorLearn and be with friends and talk about the things we love....books!

I remember meeting you in person.  It was great fun.

Thanks Ginny , for the comment on the photo.

Thank you Gumtree, yes everyone will have a copy of the photo.  My children were all there too and most of them had their own cameras taking a photo of the same group .  My son-in-law took this one with my camera.

CallieOK

« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2009, 02:32:12 PM »
Hi, Ginger.  Of course I remember you - since before the rose rock days.  :)

Hello, Robby.  Nice to cyber-see you, also. (...and where is your rose rock?  :D)

Super picture, Joan.  What a lovely family.

Hello, Ginny.  I remember your delightful posts from the one or two discussions in which I participated.

Hi, Alf.  Yes, indeed, Montreal Bash with Oklahoma rose rocks for everyone that GinnieB, Helona and I divided among our suitcases for transportation.

I seem to be in a non-fiction mode right now but will no doubt get back to historical fiction before too long.  It would be great to get a discussion going on something from that genre.

Pat

• US 34, IL
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2009, 06:07:56 PM »

Mika Nelson - 18 months - my great-grandson

School Picture - Montessori - Peoria, IL

BillH

« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2009, 06:45:11 PM »

Hello, I'm Bill H and this coming March I'll be 82 years old, God willing. And  I hope he is.  Been on SeniorNet/SeniorLearn about nine years.

I live ten miles south west of Pittsburgh, PA in a little township called Scott. Lived in the same house for 51 years. I suppose by now I can call it home.

As you can see  from the graphic in the heading (Sherlock Holmes) I love mystery and suspense novels. Currently I'm leading the Sherlock Holmes mystery The Hound of the Baskervilles. Your all invited to join the discussion. Below is a link that will guide you to Baskerville Hall.

I have to say with all the beautiful pictures of children and family members God has blessed you a thousand fold

Bill H

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2009, 06:54:18 PM »
Pat,

What a darling photograph.  Your great grandson is just darling.  Thanks so much for sharing his photo with us.

BillH ,  thanks for telling us about yourself.  I am sure that your discussion will be successful.

I love mysteries also but do not care much for Sherlock Holmes but maybe your next discussion of a mystery will be something that I like.  See you around anyway...will probably be in the Mystery Corner discussion.

Joan Grimes

gingerw

• Michigan
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2009, 07:28:14 PM »
Pat, Mika Nelson ia sure precious a keeper for sure.
Ginger

Brian

• Brian's Den
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2009, 04:16:21 PM »
Hi ! - - -  I'm Brian, and I used to post on SeniorNet as Adrbri.

I am 84 years old and live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.  Last night the temperature
was - 34o, and right now it's not a lot warmer.

I love birds and animals, read a great deal, use a camera, a computer and an iPod.

I took the Latin 101 with great personal satisfaction, thank you Ginny.

I read more than I post.

'Nuff said.

Brian.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2009, 06:47:06 PM »
Welcome Brian -- good to see you again, after ouir adventure with Rembrandt. Are you still curling?

Brian

• Brian's Den
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2009, 08:09:31 PM »
Thanks for the welcome, Joan.

No, I am not curling - - - after forty years, with my balance deteriorating, and the road conditions being what they are, I'm prepared to stand on my laurels - - - but thanks for asking!

Brian.