Author Topic: Introductions...Please click here and tell us about YOU!  (Read 186225 times)

serenesheila

Re: Introductions...Please click here and tell us about YOU!
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2009, 08:41:39 PM »

Share your  personal photos with us here

Graphics and photos are welcomed here in Introductions only. We ask you to limit the size to 500 pixels on the longest side and to 100 KB in file size.

If you need a place to store your photo for posting  you might like to use this free site http://photobucket.com/

If you do not have PSP or other software for sizing and compressing your photos you might like to use http://www.shrinkpictures.com/ this is also a free site.

Hi, all.  I am so glad to see Senior Learn, up and running.  I see lots of familiar names.  I am down with a bad virus, so my reading has slowed down.  I am slowly reading "The Forgotten Man", about the Great Depression. 

I am a 74 y/o, retired widow.  I live 15 miles NE of Sacramento, CA., in my own home.  I am a movie buff, and a history fan.  Reading has been important to me, since before I could read.  My mother often read to me, and one of the highlights of my life, was getting my first library card.  We only lived half a block from the library, and I spent a lot of time there.  One of the best gifts my mother ever gave me was a love of reading.

I watch most of the history programs that are on TV.  I really enjoy biographies.  Most of the time, I do not care for current movies.  Too much violence!  I also love football.  Especially USC, and the San Francisco 49ers.  Bridge is one of my favorite activities.  I also follow politics.

Sheila

MarjV

« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2009, 09:32:36 PM »
Hello ------- and thanks to those who have created with website.

A wonderful place to meet and talk good "stuff"

Just now registered after getting an email from Pedlin telling me about
the new adventure.

Detroit area resident; SN member for quite a few years; love reading and my
kittys;

~Marj

Zulema

« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2009, 10:16:53 PM »
I am so glad I heard from you again.  I just registered and changed my ID name from Sue 426, which was my Senior Net ID, since I was known by my real name to quite a few of you.  I am 77 and have been a widow for many many years.  Have five children and two grandchildren.  I live alone in the Bronx, which is the northernmost borough in New York City, and love living in NYC.  Lived in many places before.  I was in the Greek class for almost three years, until our dear teacher passed away.  And I joined many of you at the Book Bash on the afternoon of the Met Museum tour.

I certainly would like to know what happened to Senior Net and to our memberships in it, or is this not the right place to ask these questions?

I do crosswords, the NY Times without fail every day, and I read mysteries among other books.  I did not participate in the book discussions before, though I followed many of them.

GinnyAnn

« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2009, 10:24:22 PM »
From my elementary school days up through today, I have been an avid reader. I probably own more than 3000 books.

Next to reading books I love to discuss them.

I am a retired teacher.  Ray and I have been married since 1967. We have 2 adult sons.  In April it will be 7 years since my breast cancer. During my treatments and recovery I inhaled romance books. So if there is an interest in the whole romance genre, I would love to be a part of it.

Octavia

« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2009, 11:33:06 PM »
Hi, I'm Octavia. The 2nd email just jogged my memory that I hadn't registered here. I joined some book discussions long ago, but life kept interfering, so I lingered and read a lot instead :). Maybe this year will be different.
I'm in the middle of a massive family crisis, but when the dust settles, I hope to be active again. New Year's Resolution! One eye on the Hopman Cup and the other on the cricket at the moment.
Reading? Books - The Puttermesser Papers by Cynthia Ozick and the Brushstroke Legacy by Lorraine Snelling. Poetry - Wendell Berry's The Peace Of Wild Things is helping me relax and Wilfred Owen's Anthem for Doomed Youth because the ME is so much in the news.
A really bad Christmas, but I'm looking forward to having a good New Year.
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance. Sir Terry Pratchett.

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2009, 09:02:28 AM »
WOW...how great to see so many of you here!!

Welcome, Sheila, Marj, Zulema ,GinnyAnn, Octavia !!

Zulema: I certainly would like to know what happened to Senior Net and to our memberships in it, or is this not the right place to ask these questions?

Zulema: I wish we knew the answers to your questions. We all have those same questions and we've not had any response from SeniorNet to any of them. 

This site is NOT connected to SeniorNet in any way, except that many who posted there have come over here and we're going to continue what Ginny Anderson started there many years ago...the Books Discussions...and the Latin classes in 2004.

She's not been told any more than you know about what's going on there.  Since the Latin students had paid a membership TO SeniorNet to join the classes and were left high and dry with the crash on Oct. 30, she felt an obligation to continue their Latin somewhere.  So, she went out, found this server and started her own site.  Books has now been added, as you can see.

jane

Gumtree

« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2009, 09:28:42 AM »
Hi Octavia: I've been wondering where you were. Sorry things are not rosy for you at present. I guess we all have times like that now and again. It's hard but try to remember the old saying "This too, will pass' {{{hugs}}}
And yes, the Hopman cup ---Grrr... I missed watching Safin and Safina win their round today. He is one of my favourites even though he's sometimes a bad boy. I Mustn't gab on  like this as it's a bit off topic.
So glad to find you again   :-* :-*
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

nlhome

« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2009, 10:54:13 AM »
Hi there,
I did not receive the first email, so was happy to get the second. I usually "lurk" but occasionally participate in the book discussions. I enjoy reading and prefer fiction, usually mysteries but good novels as well. I don't have a lot of time to read, because I still work and do so much with my eyes at work that I often need to take a break. (Housework should be done now and then, shouldn't it?)

NL

bookworm

• Notes from Camp Swampy
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2009, 11:38:54 AM »
Hi,

I was registered at SeniorNet and just got the email about the new site. I didn't post much before because I was working full time.
I'm newly retired from cubicle hell and celebrating my freedom at the beach. Always an avid reader I review for a magazine and have written for the Cup of Comfort series.

Right now I'm reading an arc of "A Fortunate Age" by Joanna Smith Rakoff for the B&N book club. I'm also reading several sci-fi and fantasy books for the magazine.

I'm really looking forward to finally having the time to read and write.
Gail

TeacupFran

« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2009, 11:48:26 AM »
Just stumbled in and having difficulty understand what to do.    I like learning new ways,
but I fear this will take me a long time.

Teacup Fran

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2009, 12:06:33 PM »
WELCOME TO ALL OF YOU!

If you are having trouble understanding anything, please do email one of us, or post your problem here.  We are all delighted that you have found us and want your participation, want you to feel comfortable here and that you have a community - a home site on the Web.

FRAN, learning new ways is what we are about.  Discussing books is what we are about!  Are you a reader?  Tell us about yourself and we'll help in any way we can.

GAIL, I had to chuckle at "cubicle hell" - so many of us know exactly what you are referring to and I hope you have many, many years of freedom at the beach.  How I envy you, as winter is cold and gloomy in Ohio but it helps the spirit to come in here and discuss books with others.  It really does!

NL:   Come when you can, I remember you from the old Seniornet site!  Our new Nonfiction general discussion  just opened and if you like that genre, do post!

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2009, 01:14:28 PM »
Welcome to  Sheila, Marj, Zulema ,GinnyAnn, Octavia,NL,Teacup Fran,and Gail!!

It is wonderful to see you all here.

It is not difficult to use this site....if you learned to use SeniorNet...you can use this because it is the same fore the most part.

We are all about learning as others have mentioned/  Just jump right in and start posting where you find something that interests you.  We are discussing lots of books.  I am sure that you can find something that you like.  Go to the library on this site and tell us what you are reading.  Go to the bookclub online where we are getting ready to vote for the book to discuss in Feb.  There are places where you talk about both fiction and nonfiction.  Also a place for discussing mysteries.

Speaking of mysteries, THE HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES is being discussed here.  The discussion is led by Bill H.

Of course we have the Story of Civilization discussion here also.  Yes Robby is with us leading that discussion as only he can.

Hope to see all of you around the site.

Joan Grimes
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

Robby

« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2009, 05:47:54 PM »
Joan G: I remember the many times I sat down with you to lunch or dinner and am so pleased that you are still going strong.

Robby

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2009, 05:49:36 PM »
Robby,

Thanks.  I am not sure how strong but i am still going as much as I can.

Joan G

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2009, 07:44:27 PM »
Bookworm, do come into the Sci-Fi site and tell us what you are reading.

Octavia

« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2009, 01:30:41 AM »
Hi Gumtree,
I meant to say hello to you yesterday, but my mind is scrambled.All's well in the West, I hope? It was 40 degrees here on New Year's Eve(104F) We coped well with just fans, I'm proud of myself!
Jan
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance. Sir Terry Pratchett.

Gumtree

« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2009, 02:45:47 AM »
Octavia: Thanks and yes,  all Ok apart from the odd ups and downs. Summer is finally kicking in here after a very slow start- high 30's and more humid than I like- we're settling down to endure the next few months. I really do miss the 'Australia' folder - was always so good to chat about what's going on here and now....but really I am so grateful to have the books back...ecstatic, in fact
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

maeve

« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2009, 08:19:17 AM »
I'm glad this site opened.  I was missing all the book recommendations, although there is no way I could read them all.

I used to be EME on the old site.  I live in Northwest Indiana where it is cold so it is a good time to read.  I like mainly mysteries but also enjoy a variety of other themes.  I belong to two book discussion at my library.  One mystery and the other mainly fiction but we also read Shadow Divers and Founding Brothers

Looking forward to many good discussions.

MaryE

Pat

• US 34, IL
« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2009, 09:29:28 AM »
maeve -- How nice to see you here.  I was patwest before. We go way back in SN history.  I miss the Illinois luncheons.

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2009, 09:41:31 AM »
Wecome Maeve!!

Hi Mary,  I am so glad to see you here.  I know you will enjoy this site. 

I hope to see you participating around the site.

Joan Grimes

Eloise

• Montreal
« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2009, 09:56:30 AM »
I was born in Montreal and after spending decades in other places I came back here to stay. I have 6 children spread out all over the world. We are all close and meet especially at Christmas. They have given me 10 grandchildren and one great grand daughter.  My first language is French but I love the English language and I read as much in English as in French.

I have joined SeniorNet about 11 years ago and have been an active member mostly in book discussions. 

I have been to 5 SeniorNet reunions, the last one was held here in Montreal in 2006. Even if the old SeniorNet has mysteriously disappeared, another one was born and many people have rejoined together to discuss books just like before. They can’t shut us up can they, whoever they are, because I guess we are indestructible. 

A big hello to all my old friends and a big welcome to our new members.   

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2009, 11:12:54 AM »
Hi Eloise,

Thanks for telling  everyone about yourself.

It is really great to be able to be back together to discuss books with friends, both old and new, who love books just as we do.

Joan Grimes

maeve

« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2009, 12:52:32 PM »
Hi Pat and Joan

The lunches were fun.  Maybe we can do it again in the spring.  I remember the minibash in Brown County also.

Now I'm off to do some exploring.

MaryE

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #63 on: January 05, 2009, 03:19:09 PM »
MAEVE: Don't miss the Mystery Corner. Hit the arrow next to 5the "Go" button below. Or go to:

http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?board=33.0

LarryHanna

« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2009, 06:52:39 PM »
Hi everyone.  It is great to see so many names I recognize from the early days of the Books and Literature on SN .  I am also happy to see new names I have not seen before.  I won't try to mention many names as would be sure to leave out some and don't want to do that.

I haven't actively participated in the book discussion for several years but would occasionally stop in to see what was going on. 

I didn't know about this new site until this afternoon when Ginny Anderson and I had a nice long conversation on the phone.  After I registered I appreciated Pat sending me the latest newsletter.

I love to read but must admit I do a lot of the reading on the Internet but still visit the library fairly often.  However, I recently read the new Vince Flynn book and one of the Clive Cussler's new series.  I also have read the Lorraine Snelling series on the Red River Valley to name a few.

Larry
LarryBIG BOX

maeve

« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2009, 07:11:32 PM »
Joan K, I've been over to the Mystery Corner but haven't posted.  I'm trying  to catch up on some of the other sites.

MaryE

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2009, 07:20:58 PM »
Welcome Larry!!

I am so happy to see you here!!   I remember well those days when you were very involved in the book discussions. I remember how involved you were in the Mystery discussions when I was DL for the mystery discussions. It is good to know that you are still reading!

We sure hope that you will join some of the discussions here on SeniorLearn.

Joan Grimes

Maryemm

« Reply #67 on: January 06, 2009, 07:37:39 AM »

I have lurked for a long time in the Books section only occasionally contributing. However, so many names here are familiar that I feel I must say "Hello" and "A Happy and Healthy 2009 to you All."

I am studying Latin in one of Ginny's wonderful Latin groups. I live in the UK ; am 78; married (52 years this year); three offspring ; one grandchild.

i enjoy History books, fiction and non-fiction ; Science-fiction in moderation; Mysteries; in fact, most subjects. i miss The Wizard's "Name the Book and Author" section which I only discovered a few months before his retirement.

I have one "question"! There seem to be quite a few Book categories. Which is the most general? I don't have time to post every day but I do want to keep in touch.

Thanks, Ginny and all your helpers, for a great Senior-Learn site.

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #68 on: January 06, 2009, 10:23:17 AM »
WElcome MaryEm!  It is great to see you here.

Thanks for telling us about yourself.

We have some general discussions where you can just talk about books such as Fiction Old and New in which you can just talk about books of Fiction.  There is the Mystery Corner that is for talking about mysteries .  So you should enjoy those discussions.   I hope that you will join in one or both those discussions.

Joan Grimes

Aberlaine

« Reply #69 on: January 06, 2009, 07:33:56 PM »
Welcome to all, new and old!!  It sure looks like we're getting comfortable here.  Like sitting in an old, but favorite recliner, getting ready to read the next book on our list.

Gail, I retired from "cubicle hell" five years ago with the item at the top of my to-do list: read more.  I'm sure you will as I have come to do.

Pat

• US 34, IL
« Reply #70 on: January 06, 2009, 09:00:52 PM »
To know more about Maryemm go to the home page and read the Featured Profile on the right.

Janice

« Reply #71 on: January 07, 2009, 02:46:18 PM »
Hi, I'm happy to be able to use my real name here.  I live in Wisconsin and am a happily retired Respiratory Therapist.  My son and his two children are currently living with me.  Always something new to discover.  I enjoy reading non fiction but will occasionally read a novel.  I also love, love, love poetry.  I'm happy to be here.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #72 on: January 07, 2009, 04:23:04 PM »
We are happy you found your way here, too, Janice.  Oh, I would love to have two of my grandsons live here with me.  I can see where you are rediscovering the world through their eyes.
This weekend I was visiting with my seven year old granddaughter for a few days.  She received a terribly difficult knitting kit for Christmas and expected me to teach her to knit in one afternoon.  I don't know if I will ever be with her a long enough stretch to teach her much.  She did learn to cast on stitches, sort of ...and a rather loose version of the knit stitch!

We hope you join our fiction discussions, but we will also be discussing non-fiction - see the General Discussion of NonFiction - I think they are trying to decide on a title for an in-depth discussion right now.

And a Poetry discussion is scheduled to open in the very near future.

You have found the right place!  Welcome

pike99

« Reply #73 on: January 07, 2009, 09:27:10 PM »
Hello Everyone:
        I used to be a frequent visitor to SNet, mostly book discussions, and then I became dismayed at some point by what I perceived to be
  harsh comments and interpretations that were finding their ways into the book discussions. Whether or not, I misinterpreted those comments, I'm not sure,but the result was that I felt some alienation.
        So,I gave up on SNet and the books,and I went back to work after being retired for 5 years and I am still working, and ,of course,continuing to read anything and everything.
        To Ginny,the Jersey Girl, I owe an apology for some poor behavior ,small mindedness and a lack of understanding. I'm using a different user name in this forum, but, Ginny, if you think of cheesesteaks and butterscotch krimpets,you might have a hint.
         Currently, I' m reading The Given Day by Dennis Lehane ( author of Mystic River) It takes place in Boston around 1918-1919,and is a big, sprawling novel that mixes real people and events into the narrative. Deals with the end of WWI ,the influenza pandemic,immigration,racism,baseball,unions and the labor movement,the rise of and threat of Bolshevism,and the Boston Police Strike.
      A fascinating "read" and lots of good imagery. I suspect it's already optioned for a film.
      I'm a big fan of Crime,Detective,Police Procedurals and Military History.
      I look forward to being an active participant once again.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #74 on: January 07, 2009, 09:53:43 PM »
OH my, this IS like old home week and new home week, so many new faces and so many old beloved faces and look ...I hate to tell you this, young Pike, but I needed no hints, the minute I saw that Pike I said OH can it BE? AND IT IS!! YAHOO! Welcome home!

Welcome!! We have missed you! You have certainly come to the right place, this is the most upbeat,  happy,  exuberant and splendid site I have been on in a long time, it's electric here, and, just think: it's made just for readers and those who like to learn, whether it's Latin or anything else!  We're so glad to see you again!  Make yourself right at home,  we're delighted to see you again!!

WHEE!

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #75 on: January 08, 2009, 09:57:49 AM »
WElcome Janice and Pike!  Great to have you join us here.

AS Ginny says we are all so excited to be here to discuss books together.  We sure hope that you both will join in and look over the discussions,  tell us about your favorite books and what you are reading now , as well as getting into one of our new discussions of a specific book.

Joan Grimes

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #76 on: January 08, 2009, 02:21:19 PM »
WELCOME JANICE and PIKE. PIKE, do join us in Mystery Corner, and in The Hound of the Baskervilles.

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #77 on: January 09, 2009, 07:49:29 AM »
MaryZ, from Chattanooga, was visiting here in the Rio Grande Valley, and I'm here for two months to escape the snows of Iowa, and so we were able to connect at a sunny, outdoor venue near where she was visiting...and her husband was able to get this photo of us.  It was delightful finally meeting her and her husband John in person!

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #78 on: January 09, 2009, 09:12:25 AM »
Mary Z and Jane!!  How lovely that you all could meet.  You both look just wonderful!

Jane thank you so much for sharing that photo with us.  It was such a treat to me to see you both this morning.

Joan G

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #79 on: January 09, 2009, 02:55:01 PM »
What a lovely, lovely photo, gals! 
Thank you for sharing!

I found you when I dropped in to tell you that the polls just opened in the Book Club Online discussion.   A varied and interesting slate.  Please, everyone,  come on in and vote for your first  and second choices for our February discussion of one of these titles.