Author Topic: Introductions...Please click here and tell us about YOU!  (Read 188569 times)

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
Re: Introductions...Please click here and tell us about YOU!
« Reply #480 on: July 22, 2013, 07:47:52 PM »

Please post and introduce yourself!  We're looking forward to getting to know you.

Click on the Discussion Index on the menubar near the top of every page to see what we offer: [/font][/size]

Latin Courses Information: Click Here

Welcome, Virginia.  You'll find lots of people here who love to talk about books.  I hope you've looked at the entire Index

http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php

and will join in any of the ongoing book discussions.

jane

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #481 on: July 22, 2013, 07:51:31 PM »
Hello there, Virginia!  We're neighbors!  Welcome to Seniorlearn...hope you'll stay and sample some of our discussions Fiction, Non fiction and the popular General genre discussions.

We had a great time reading  Old Filth here not so long ago -  you might enjoy reading through the Archived discussion. You can find it here-
http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=2274.0

We look forward to getting  to know you in upcoming discussions. Welcome!

Frybabe

« Reply #482 on: July 23, 2013, 08:25:43 AM »
Welcome, Virginia WOQ.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #483 on: July 23, 2013, 10:18:50 AM »
Welcome, Virginia WOQ.  There's a lot of different stuff on this site--something for everyone.  We usually have one in-depth discussion going at a time, sometimes overlapping or leaving a small gap.  At the moment our discussion of short stories is winding down, and August 1 we'll start Those Angry Days, by Lynne Olson, about the controversies in this country just before WWII.  There's plenty of time to get hold of the book and join that one if it interests you.

The Library is a general forum about books, and in addition, we have specific forums for Fiction, Non-fiction, Mysteries, and Science Fiction/Fantasy, classics, and more.  Click on Discussion Index at the top of this page to see them all.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #484 on: July 23, 2013, 12:15:56 PM »
WELCOME WELCOME Virginia! I miss that part of the world (native of DC) but not the summer weather. Do tell us something about yourself and what you like to read.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #485 on: July 23, 2013, 04:54:10 PM »
Welcome, Virginia. A group of people on this site had a good discussion of Old Filth. I haven't read any books by Jane Gardam yet. I'm sure that there are others here who have.

Virginia WOQ

« Reply #486 on: July 23, 2013, 05:46:09 PM »
Hello all! Thank you for the nice welcome. A little about me. I am working as a teacher aide in a public high school in Stafford, Va. We have an autistic class, 8 young men aged 16 to 22, mostly non-verbal. This is a challenge for me, as I have been an elementary school teacher previous to raising my 3, now all grown up children. I have an active bookclub in my area, which I helped to start, and name. Here is the WOQ part. That stands for Women of Quality. I jokingly branded this club, with the proviso that one could join if one could name 3 sitting Supreme Court Justices, and the current Vice-Prez. I was so surprised when I arrived in No.Va. that there were MANY ladies, moms, neighbors, that did not have a little working knowledge of current events. Especially with our local news, which is national news to the country. With tongue in cheek, and with no aires or snobbery intended, WOQ still does have its standards!!  ;D   I'm so glad I found this site. I was able to find the PBS show Endeavor, and watch the dear young inspector Morse last night. Now that the Tour de France is over-which I have been glued to for the last 3 weeks, its nice to have something familiar to watch. Currently I am trying to get all the way through Team of Rivals for an August bookclub, co-ed, meeting. We invite husbands once a year, and read something that transcends our WOQness. I hope I haven't gone over your length for e-mails. I'm new at the on-line group thing. But your offerings sound so juicy!!   :)

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #487 on: July 24, 2013, 09:37:15 AM »
Women Of Quality--I like that.  There are no rules about length.  Occasionally someone somehow loses a post, and if it's long they mind more.  We don't have many rules.  It more or less boils down to don't violate copyright laws and don't say anything that is rude, hurtful or insulting to another poster (but we're all much too nice to do that anyway ;) )  And there's a size limit on posted pictures.

I recently met someone who had started teaching a class like yours, only his students were verbal.  He said he learned a tremendous amount about himself, both as a person and as a teacher, in the process.

We discussed Team of Rivals here in 2009.  Here's the link to it in the archives.

http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=271.0

At first I had a lot of trouble keeping the rivals straight, because she shifted back and forth among them so much, so I made a table, and eventually they became distinct in my mind.

If you have a taste for legalistic arguments, read the text of the Cooper Union speech when you get to it; it's a masterpiece of such.

http://www.mrlincolnandnewyork.org/inside.asp?ID=15&subjectID=2

But if you don't happen to like that sort of thing it will seem tedious.

Virginia WOQ

« Reply #488 on: July 24, 2013, 10:13:30 AM »
Thank you for the advice on Team of Rivals. I will follow it, and arrange the rivals so I can keep everyone straight.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #489 on: July 24, 2013, 10:42:41 AM »
Welcome, Virginia, from another Virginia who doesn't use the name. it's a pretty name, i now think, but hated it when  young. Of course anybody who names themselves "Zeta"  in the 4th grade obviously has no taste. hahaha

I love your rules for getting in the WOQ! Do you ask them on the spot, surprise them,  or can they think a bit? I enjoyed that little exercise and it's funny the ones you come up with.  I got Clarence Thomas  immediately and Sotomayor, but for some reason Ruth Bader  Ginsburg's name just kept eluding  me.  Tho it finally came. (One can hear the poor old brain cells almost creaking). hahahaa I think if  that were sprung on me in person, in all the excitement,  I might have made a bad job of it.

Now as for the REST of them, it might be fun to see who else..oh of course, Justice Roberts...but who else?

Who else without looking?

Love your posts!  Welcome!  

May 13 is our last day of class for the 2023-2024 school year.  Ask about our Summer Reading Opportunities.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #490 on: July 24, 2013, 11:59:26 AM »
Funny which ones come to one's mind first.  I thought Kennedy, Scalia, and Ginsburg.  I could see Sotomayer (sp?) in my mind but couldn't think of her first name...wanted to call her Lydia for some reason? Weird! 

jane

Frybabe

« Reply #491 on: July 24, 2013, 02:01:29 PM »
I also thought of Samuel Alito, but the rest allude me for the moment. I also noticed that we have three supreme court justices still alive but in retirement, Stevens, Souter and O'Conner.

Virginia WOQ

« Reply #492 on: July 24, 2013, 03:40:22 PM »
O.K. Everyone that is pondering 'The Supremes' for the WOQ entrance exam--I'm SO impressed that the 3 retired living justices were remembered. Maybe I'll have to amend the quiz, or make a super WOQ designation for those who can come up with those. But my memory is spotty at times--very frustrating when called upon to recall something simple that eludes me. But another true test of a pal, is someone who either is listening well enough to come up with the lost (fill in the blank), or agrees that a smart phone for easy access to info had to be invented by someone in our generation.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #493 on: July 31, 2013, 07:11:25 AM »
Hi Virginia and welcome!

I can't name a single one of those Justices, but my excuse is that I am an English woman living in Scotland - I've never lived in the US, though I did live in St John's Newfoundland many moons ago.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the site - it's so friendly and interesting, and as PatH just said, we're all so nice  ;D

I am a great Jane Gardam fan and have read Old Filth, but my absolute favourites are A Long Way From Verona and Bilgewater.

Please do especially join in Author! Author! as some of us (me) are getting stuck thinking up new quizes!

Rosemary

du Vair

« Reply #494 on: October 01, 2013, 08:57:30 PM »
Hello.  Really looking forward to re-learning Latin after too many years to count.  I've got advanced degrees in philosophy and French.  Lots of interests.  Love to learn new stuff.  Perhaps some kind soul will tell me how to go about using this site, and eventually registering for Latin.  Thanks so much.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #495 on: October 01, 2013, 08:59:51 PM »
GREAT! Check out our book discussions, too. We're just starting to discuss Persuasion by Jane Austen.

http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?board=167.0

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #496 on: October 01, 2013, 09:51:46 PM »
duVair..Latin enrollment for the fall 2014 classes will begin in mid summer of 2014.  I'll be glad to add your email to the list of people to be notified when that happens.

You can read about this year's classes and what they cover here:

http://www.seniorlearn.org/classics/courses/descriptions.html

jane

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #497 on: October 01, 2013, 09:54:14 PM »
Welcome, du Vair. I hope that you will join some of our book discussions while you are waiting for the Fall 2014 Latin class.

Avus

« Reply #498 on: November 24, 2013, 03:11:14 PM »
I am new to Senior Learn & have spent 45mins+ searching the site in vain to get info. about latin classes. Can anyone tell me how to get this info?
Thank you.
Avus

Avus

« Reply #499 on: November 24, 2013, 03:13:23 PM »
Excuse my ineptness. I just read the posts above mine & now know that classes don't start till April 2014. I can't wait!
Avus

Frybabe

« Reply #500 on: November 24, 2013, 03:50:29 PM »
Welcome Avus.

I hope you will join us in some of the other discussions while waiting for the next enrollment. There is a classics forum
http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=5.0 that is open to all, and occasionally we pick a classical book to read and discuss (in English).

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #501 on: November 24, 2013, 06:22:09 PM »
Welcome, Avus!  We are delighted you've found us, and you raise a good point. We need to try to do something about that.

In addition to the excellent suggestions here, there is a  link to the Latin Class information on the Home Page, which is one of the tabs toward the top of your screen, right under the colorful ads, all the way to the left.

Here it is for future reference:  http://www.seniorlearn.org/classics/

Our next set of classes starts next  September, but enrollment begins next summer. Have you had Latin before?

Welcome to you, also,  du Vair,  we are looking forward to  having you, too. This is exciting to see so many interested.

Welcome, All!~

May 13 is our last day of class for the 2023-2024 school year.  Ask about our Summer Reading Opportunities.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #502 on: November 24, 2013, 06:47:57 PM »
Avus....the next classes will begin next Sept. 

I'll add you to the list to be notified when enrollment opens in mid summer.

Information is here:

http://www.seniorlearn.org/classics/courses/descriptions.html

Jane

Zulema

« Reply #503 on: November 27, 2013, 01:30:35 PM »
Hello, everyone,

I haven't been in touch since The Moonstone discussion.  I am very well, having undergone a few health things during the summer, but all is well, and I am delighted to see all your names here.  I just posted greetings in the Latin class sign-up page because it was the first one I found, and because of the Greek class, I still feel we are colleagues there.

Hello, Ginny, Hello, Jane, Hello everybody!  I need holidays to remind me to get in touch with old friends.  Have a Happy and healthy Thanksgiving, and regards to everyone I have not mentioned.

Zulema in NY (the Bronx)

Frybabe

« Reply #504 on: November 27, 2013, 04:55:48 PM »
Hi Zulema,

It's great to see you are back and in good health. I don't know what the Dec. Book is going to be yet. Oh, I see we will be doing Poirot's Christmas Pudding.

We are still voting on a January read until Nov. 30. Take a look.

Have a Happy Holiday season, too.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #505 on: November 27, 2013, 05:10:21 PM »
Zulema, it's good to see you back, and I'm glad all is well with you now.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #506 on: November 27, 2013, 10:45:31 PM »
Welcome, Avus.

Hello, Zulema. I'm glad that you are well. It's wonderful to have you back with us.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #507 on: November 28, 2013, 07:58:23 AM »
Well how lovely to see you, Zulema! Believe it or not I was  just thinking about you the other day and wondering how you are getting on! What a nice Homecoming to see you here at Thanksgiving.

I hope you will stay around and talk to us in the various discussions.

So glad to see you back!

vanthdo

« Reply #508 on: January 17, 2014, 12:28:43 PM »
My name is Van, and I am a new member. I am interested in the Latin classes. Had Latin for 7 years in high school, and would like to refresh it.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #509 on: January 17, 2014, 12:49:19 PM »
Hi, Van...

Email on the way to you! 

Welcome to SeniorLearn! 

Please join in our book discussions, too.

jane

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #510 on: January 17, 2014, 03:02:10 PM »
WELCOME, WELCOME VAN.

Do tell us a little about yourself.

Frybabe

« Reply #511 on: January 18, 2014, 07:52:54 AM »
Hi Van, welcome to Senior Learn. While you are waiting for the next Latin classes to start, please join us in our other discussions.

vanthdo

« Reply #512 on: January 31, 2014, 11:16:51 AM »
Thank you, Jane and Ginny for helping me with my profile photo! Dear Joan, here is a summary of my 63 years in this world:

I was born in Vietnam, and received a French education from kindergarten to the end of high school. In high school, I was in the classical section because I was strong in languages. All subjects taught at the lycĂ©e Marie-Curie were in French. In addition, Vietnamese was an obligatory language, and we were required to choose a second language ( German for me). I had Latin 6 hours a week every week for 7 years.  Now that I am semi-retired, I would like to go back and refresh my Latin, as I have forgotten a lot of it. As a matter of fact, I tried to translate the Stabat Mater Dolorosa by Giovanni Batista Pergolesi for my choir's upcoming concert, and failed miserably!:)) I hope to get some help with this from my new Latin expert friends!

rosemarykaye

« Reply #513 on: January 31, 2014, 12:29:00 PM »
My goodness Vanthdo, that is impressive!  I did Latin to A-level (aged 18) and regret not having kept it up - I find translating things in old churches, etc increasingly difficult.  I keep thinking about doing Ginny's classes too.

How wonderful to have been educated in French.  Do you still keep up with your German?  My daughter and I would like to visit Berlin, but as it would just be Madeleine and I, I am worried about not understanding where we are going, as I have no German and she's just given it up after 3 years of struggling with it at school.

Anyway, welcome to SeniorLearn!

Rosemary

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #514 on: January 31, 2014, 03:21:02 PM »
That's a great background. We will learn more from you than you do from us, I'm sure.

mrssherlock

« Reply #515 on: April 30, 2014, 02:10:37 PM »
Hello!  You may remember me, I posted frequently until health problems knocked me for a loop.  Hoping to reconnect with old friends on the pages of various books.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #516 on: April 30, 2014, 03:11:58 PM »
JACKIE! We've been wondering if you were all right. GREAT to see you back!!!!!

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #517 on: April 30, 2014, 03:39:41 PM »
Welcome back, Jackie!  Please reconnect--we've missed you.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #518 on: April 30, 2014, 05:37:46 PM »
Welcome back, Jackie!

mrssherlock

« Reply #519 on: May 01, 2014, 11:54:29 AM »
It's lovely to be back though I am not the same Jackie.  Have you heard of disequilibrium?  I have no balance which means  that I can't stand without hanging on to a cane, my walker, a chair back or the wall.  It is daunting that so many activities are no longer possible if they require more than one hand.  My walking gait resembles that of Frankenstein's monster.  ( I can't think of Frankenstein without being reminded of Mel Brooks and his merry bunch:  Gene Wilder, Marty Feldman, Madeline Kahn, et al.)  Nothing major but life changing nevertheless.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke