Author Topic: Introductions...Please click here and tell us about YOU!  (Read 186247 times)

JoanK

• BooksDL
Re: Introductions...Please click here and tell us about YOU!
« Reply #640 on: April 22, 2016, 03:08:25 PM »

Please scroll down and post a message to introduce yourself!  We're looking forward to getting to know you.

Click on the Discussion Index on the menubar near the top of every page to see what we offer:

Latin Courses Information: Click Here

WELCOME! And check out our discussions. A new book in depth every month, and lighter  discussions on mystery, Sci fi, Non-fiction, and reading in general.
JoanK

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #641 on: April 22, 2016, 09:19:36 PM »
Welcome, Lorraine! Does your church offer the whole mass in Latin?

CherylS

« Reply #642 on: April 28, 2016, 10:14:12 PM »
Hello, everyone!

I am 69 years old & live in OH. I loved Latin in high school & always wanted to study it again. When I was in my early 40's my husband decided to send me to college at North Carolina State University, since I had always dreamed of going to college, but life never seemed to work out that way. I jumped at the chance to study Latin again at NC State & had two more years of it there. It was my favorite subject. I still have & cherish my battered Wheelock. I'm afraid I've forgotten most of what I learned, but I don't think I am too old to learn it again.

I always enjoy cooking from scratch, canning, making my own yogurt & sauerkraut, gardening, reading & sorta kinda teaching myself to play the folk harp. I love reading novels set in ancient Rome & an currently reading The Artorius Chronicles by James Mace. Other favorites are Steven Saylor, David Wishart, Lindsey Davis, Rosemary Rowe, Ruth Downie, & John Maddox Roberts. I also love science fiction & fantasy of all kinds. Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series ia an obsession! ;D

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #643 on: April 28, 2016, 10:18:02 PM »
Hi, Cheryl,

If you'll come over to our Latin Classes Information page, I can answer questions for you, etc.

Click here: http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=4887.msg281287#msg281287i

CherylS

« Reply #644 on: April 28, 2016, 10:24:14 PM »
Thanks, Jane. I read that page first!

Frybabe

« Reply #645 on: April 29, 2016, 06:26:37 AM »
Welcome, CherylS. We would be happy to have you participate in some of our other discussions as well. PatH and I are particularly fond of SciFi http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=81.0 and would be happy to join us. Favorite SciFi writers include Jack Campbell, Jack McDevitt, Evan Currie, Hugh Howey, Ursula Le Guin, Elizabeth Moon, John Scalzi, and Daniel S. Weber.

I've read Ruth Downie's Medicus series as well as all of the Didius Falco Series by Lindsey Davis. I have just started Steven Saylor's Finder series.  Another series I am in the middle of is R. W. Peake's Marching with Caesar series; for the moment, I've stopped at the beginning of his Egyptian campaigns. I am not familiar with James Mace, but the books look interesting. Another series I intend to start is Marius Mules by S. J. A. Turney.

Combining Scifi with Historical Fiction is Edward Crichton's Last Praetorian series which is about a squad of soldiers who accidentally get sent back in time to Caligula's Rome. I liked it, but since it is not on the lending library list, I haven't read any of the others - yet.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #646 on: April 30, 2016, 11:58:42 AM »
Hi, CherylS. Welcome to SeniorLearn. You have a lot of interesting pursuits and talents. I hope you will participate in some of our discussions as well as in the Latin classes. We have some general categories of book discussions as well as our featured (usually monthly) book discussion.

Jeannee

« Reply #647 on: May 20, 2016, 05:30:27 PM »
Hello! My name is Jeannee. I am a disabled at home Texas Native. I will be 58 in July. I have been seeking courses in Latin. I am excited to learn.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #648 on: May 20, 2016, 10:36:08 PM »
Hi, Jeannee...

I handle the enrollment for Latin, so if you'll come over to our Latin Information area, I can answer your questions and get you to links to read about our program, etc.

Click here: http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=4887.msg281287#msg281287i

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #649 on: May 21, 2016, 11:49:37 AM »
Hi Jeannee. Welcome to SeniorLearn. You might want to check some of our book discussions too.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #650 on: May 21, 2016, 09:41:03 PM »
Welcome, Jeannee.  There's lots of good stuff here.

eben

• #
« Reply #651 on: June 30, 2016, 02:21:30 PM »
Aloha everyone! I'm Eben Dale from Hawaii and came across this site two days ago and registered yesterday. I'm looking forward to learning Latin with y'all this coming year. A lack of ability in languages combined with sloth have prevented me from making much progress on my own. I feel strongly that with Ginny as a teacher and the support of my fellow students seniorlearn will be the key. "When the student is ready the teacher will appear." Jane and Ginny have already been very supportive and encouraging in just a quick exchange of a couple emails. I'm 70 years old and retired. My wife, Susan, and I hike every day in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. She does all the gardening and I do all the cooking. We have a daughter, Sara, who lives in Cleveland. She and her husband, Ashish, are expecting their first child. The midwife said July 2 is the expected date. I'm looking forward to getting to know some of you better. Til then....Aloha from Eben in Hawaii

Frybabe

« Reply #652 on: June 30, 2016, 03:55:21 PM »
Welcome Eben! I am so happy that you found us. Ginny is an exceptional teacher. I don't think you will be disappointed.

While you are waiting for the Fall classes to begin, you might like to peek in on the Classics Forum (open to all,not just us Latin students) and whichever other discussions might strike your fancy.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #653 on: June 30, 2016, 04:04:06 PM »
Hi again, Eben,

Frybabe has a good idea.  You can click back to the main index page

http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php

And scroll down.  You'll see all the discussions open to everyone. You won't see the Latin classes as they are open only to enrolled students, Ginny, Marcie (another admin here), me, etc.

You'll see the Classsics Forum that is about current news or events in the classics world.

Jane

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #654 on: June 30, 2016, 05:28:17 PM »
Hi, JEANEE. I'm disabled too, but Seniorlearn keeps me in contact every day with dear friends. Welcome.

EBEN: I envy you and Susan: I was watching with awe pictures of Hawaii volcanoes only yesterday and wishing I could go there. We have participants here from  all over the world who share experiences.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #655 on: July 01, 2016, 10:16:16 PM »
Welcome, Eben. It sounds like you and your wife have a wonderful life. I hope you'll join some of our other discussions as well as the Latin classes.

It's great that you cook. Does your wife grow edible things?

eben

• #
« Reply #656 on: July 02, 2016, 04:37:42 PM »
Hi, Marcie! No, nothing edible. Susan likes growing flowers and spending time every day in her garden. We do have a farmers' market every Sunday that is only 4 miles away and I buy quite a bit of produce from our local farmers. Thanks for asking  :)  Aloha!.........Eben

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #657 on: July 04, 2016, 01:59:46 PM »
That sounds great, Eben. We have a local Farmer's market too. I only grow a few vegetables in the summer. With the drought here in California, I don't like to use very much water in my "garden."

Nicole

About 50+ years ago I studied three years of Latin and I have used it all my life to learn meanings of new words to my vocabulary. I am eager to refresh my knowledge of the language. At this point in my life I am retina display now have abundant time to devote to my studies.
Excellence.....a matter of choice
J. A. Cunningham (1989)

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #659 on: July 05, 2016, 10:20:58 PM »
Hi, nbdoerr,

It sounds as if you're interested in our Latin classes.  I'll add you to my list to notify when enrollment opens in 10-12 days. 

In the meantime, please come over to the Latin Class Info discussion and read the posts there.

Click the following:  http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=4887.0

Meg

« Reply #660 on: July 12, 2016, 01:58:56 PM »
Hi, my name is Meg.  I studied Latin at our local community college a few years back.  I have tried to continue on my own but have never kept up.   I started a new job and have a little more free time.  I enjoy the structure and logic of Latin.  I took two years of Ancient Greek in my twenties also but have retained very little.

I read all the time, everything from biographies and history to science fiction, fiction, classics, and children's literature.  Recently I have read Neil Gaiman's American Gods, Louisa May Alcott's Little Women series and a biography on King Edward VII. 

I love Roman and English history but lately have been going through a little bit of an obsession with the lead up to World War I. 

My last job did not have a good work/life balance and I am just discovering TV again.  I found Miss Fisher's mysteries and totally binged on the whole series.  I hope season 4 comes to Netfix soon.

I'm always looking for new books to read and music to listen to so any suggestions are welcome.

I live in Northern Virginia and I'm about to add an eight week old wire fox terrier to my family.

I really look forward to getting to know everyone, working on Latin and discussing books.  I think I'm too late for the July 18th book but it looks interesting.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #661 on: July 12, 2016, 02:56:04 PM »
Hi, Meg,
 I'll send you information about the Latin classes since enrollment just opened.

Look for an email from janeiowaLatin@gmail.com

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #662 on: July 12, 2016, 06:42:53 PM »
MEG: WELCOME! "I love Roman and English history but lately have been going through a little bit of an obsession with the lead up to World War I. "

I'm so sorry you didn't join us earlier, when we read "Dead Wake" by Eric Larson, about the sinking of the Lusitania. Do join our Sci Fi discussion, and any other that interest you. Just join on at the end: you don't need to read the old posts.

http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=81.2720

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #663 on: July 13, 2016, 09:14:25 AM »
Hi Meg,
About the July 18 book, it's not too late to read it and it's an absorbing, thought provoking little story, about 150 some pages.  We are attempting a different approach to that discussion. Please C consider joining us.  We love to welcome newbies!😋😋😋
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #664 on: July 14, 2016, 10:55:21 AM »
Welcome, Meg. It's definitely not too late to join the July discussion which won't officially start until June 18. Is the book in your local library?

djwhalen

« Reply #665 on: July 26, 2016, 08:29:03 PM »
I am 72 and I am a linguist manque.  My father was fluent in English, Spanish, and French.  He also studied Latin (6 years?), Greek (1 year?), and Hebrew (1 semester?).  I traveled more, so I am incompetent in more languages.  I am fluent in English and Spanish (the latter is a little rusty).  I can read novels in French (and maybe Portuguese).  I have been in several situations where the only common language in the group was French ... It was painful!  I also was forced into a conversation in Portuguese, which I found much easier--closer to Spanish.  I wanted to improve my ability to read and converse in the Romance languages, so I studied Latin (Classical Studies) while teaching (Space Studies) at the University of North Dakota.  Now I want to be able to read the Latin Classics.  In my classes I enjoyed Catullus, but I found Jerome (the Vulgate) much easier to read/translate.  I do not yet have all the declensions and conjugations firmly memorized.  Looking forward to improvement!

I also read incessantly: a bit of everything!

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #666 on: July 26, 2016, 09:56:08 PM »
Hi,

It's good to see you posting and finding your way around the site.  It'll make the Latin class that much easier, since you'll understand how the site works.

Jane

Frybabe

« Reply #667 on: July 27, 2016, 05:38:04 AM »
Welcome, djwhalen.

I don't think you will be disappointed with the Latin classes. Ginny is a wonderful teacher.

Please feel free to join us in some of our other discussions as well. While waiting for classes to start, you might like to check out the Classics Forum which is open to all. http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=5.0 We are always happy to have new voices in our other discussions as well. http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php

edafoster

« Reply #668 on: July 27, 2016, 12:38:52 PM »
Hello to all,

I'm Ed, a retired Engineer here in AZ. I last studied Latin in high school and would like to rekindle a connection with this lovely language. Hoping to reeducate myself such that I can read classic texts in original language.

Frybabe

« Reply #669 on: July 27, 2016, 03:57:16 PM »
Welcome Edafoster.

Great to have you here. If you want to join in any of the other discussions, we would be happy to see you there, too.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #670 on: July 28, 2016, 11:50:00 AM »
Welcome djwhalen and edafoster. It's wonderful that you'll be joining our Latin classes. As Frybabe says, we'd be glad for your participation in some of our book discussions too.

allenmurphy

« Reply #671 on: August 22, 2016, 10:28:39 AM »
I am Allen from Fort Myers, Florida.   My wife Judith and i moved, along with our 19 yr old grandson Dylan, from Denver in June 2015.  We are catholic and enjoy the latin mass which has experienced a renaissance in the last 20 yrs.  I had latin courses in school many years ago but feel the need for refresher. So i did sign up for latin 101. Had a long career in social work. I am interested in hearing from other students. Colorado is beautiful but I do not miss snow. Look forward to learning more about roman culture. Also would like more info on the national latin exam. Do people go to sites or get proxies?  If so like whom?  We also lived twice in Mexico to learn spanish to help in catholic prison ministry in Denver. And i have some working italian. Love to hear about other places, like to cook.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #672 on: August 22, 2016, 10:39:05 AM »
Hi, Allen!

Hurrah for you coming in and figuring out how to post.  I'm hoping when Orientation for Latin begins on Sept. 6 you'll come in that location and post what you have above.

We also have a lot of book discussions at this site, so please feel look around and read and just join right in.

You can't see the Latin area since that is open only to enrolled students, and we haven't set up the 101 classes yet since enrollment is still open.  That'll be happening within the next couple of weeks and then I'll be sending you a link to your area.

In the meantime, we also have a Latin questions area, if there's something you are wondering about.  It's right below this discussion on the main index...

http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php

Latin Classes Information  http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?board=170.0

Frybabe

« Reply #673 on: August 22, 2016, 11:30:10 AM »
Welcome Allen. The Classics Forum is open to all. We often find sites and news about the antiquates  that we post.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #674 on: August 22, 2016, 12:15:16 PM »
Yes, that's a great area, too, here...right on down the main index page from this discussion:

Classics Forum
Share interesting news of the classics world.
http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?board=1.0

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #675 on: August 22, 2016, 03:50:57 PM »
Welcome, Allen. That's great that you enjoy learning various languages. 

kathewood

« Reply #676 on: August 22, 2016, 06:34:13 PM »
Hi all,
I live in LA and have been raising 2 kids for the past 21 years (both will be in college this fall); I also work at the YMCA as a swim instructor. I studied Latin in college for a semester 35 years ago and would like to refresh and improve my knowledge of it. In addition to reading literature, I would like to travel to Italy and be able to decipher inscriptions on artifacts and monuments. Looking forward to the class!
Kathe

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #677 on: August 22, 2016, 06:49:30 PM »
Hi, Kathe!

Welcome to SeniorLearn.  Please look around and perhaps read some of our Books discussions and I'll "see" you in Sept. for the Latin Orientation and then the class with Ginny.

jane

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #678 on: August 25, 2016, 11:50:29 AM »
Hi, Kathe. Welcome!

dpfeiffer

« Reply #679 on: September 06, 2016, 08:39:33 PM »
Hi,
I'm Debora. I'm here because I would like to learn Latin for my cataloging job. I'm looking forward to getting started, and I'm also looking forward to getting to know all of you!