Author Topic: Introductions...Please click here and tell us about YOU!  (Read 185790 times)

Fiattoday

Re: Introductions...Please click here and tell us about YOU!
« Reply #760 on: November 14, 2017, 12:17:16 AM »
Hello I am so excited I found this site it is just what I needed. I'm a 58 year old retired prison guard with lots of time on my hand besides running around picking up grand kids to and from school. I'm also a cradle catholic who remembers mass being celebrated in Latin. I have been attending Latin mass as often as I can but I'm still having difficulty learning it that is how I stumbled upon this site. I want to learn Latin so I won't have to use booklet during mass and can just listen and enjoy the beautiful word being prayed. Any advice from you is greatly appreciated

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #761 on: November 14, 2017, 08:28:44 AM »
Hi, Fiattoday...
Welcome to SeniorLearn.  I will add you to my list to be notified when enrollment for Latin reopens next summer.  That email will come from janeiowaLatin@gmail.com

This year's classes are well underway.  I assume you’ve seen and read about our classes here.

http://www.seniorlearn.org/classics/courses/descriptions.html

In the meantime, look around our site and join in any of the discussions you see.

You can email me at the above email address if you have any questions about the Latin classes.  Please note that these are classes in Classic Latin, not Ecclesiastical Latin.

Jane

Jonathan

« Reply #762 on: November 15, 2017, 09:24:25 PM »
Welcome to SeniorLearn,  Fiattoday. Your strong feelings about the Catholic Latin Mass caught my imagination and brought back a curious memory. Four hundred years ago Henry of Navarre was offered the Crown of France if he would convert to Catholicism. Why not, he said, 'the Crown is worth a Mass'. And now you've turned it around by implying that a Mass is worth the Latin. God bless you.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #763 on: December 01, 2017, 03:56:02 AM »
Goodness hardly ever come into this discussion and just in time to say Hay to Fiattoday - as Jane said, scoot around the various discussions - why not visit with us in the Library - this month we are doing something for the holidays so that during December the Library is featuring some topics of conversation that change every few days ihn addition to sharing books we are reading - come on in and share your two cents - folks will be glad to meet you.

As to the Latin Mass - yes, I miss it also - Like many, I too wish Vatican II had deliberated on other changes rather than change the Mass - ah so - Tip, I remember from my Catholic High School Latin classes the Latin used in the Church is a bit different then political, legal and classic Latin - In Ecclesiastical Latin the sounds are softened, closer to Italian.

Here is the Amazon link to a fairly comprehensive prayer book that includes the prayers said at Mass in both Latin and English - reading some of the prayers may bring back from your buried memory the Latin you said years ago and the Book's format will allow you to see the direct translation.

https://www.amazon.com/Pray-Latin-English-Louis-Pizzuti/dp/1449518214/ref=pd_bxgy_14_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=0K92VFHPGTZR42NXVY3C
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

pucci43

« Reply #764 on: December 05, 2017, 12:39:45 PM »
Salve !  Hi I'm Richard, 64 yrs young :). Studied Latin for two yrs. in high school, and remember very little; therefore, I'm looking forward to the 2018 up coming class. Also will be nice to meet new people who are also interested in Latin. I too enjoy the Latin mass selections on YouTube.  I believe my new interest in Latin arose from watching the BBC show "Father Brown"....you may want to check the show out sometime.    RP

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #765 on: December 05, 2017, 04:11:51 PM »
Hi, Richard,

You are doing a great job getting yourself familiar with the website.  That will be a big help to you when classes begin next fall.

jane

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #766 on: December 09, 2017, 11:16:23 AM »
Richard, I have to say I saw your notice about Father Brown and am a like fan. We are discussing him (some of us, every chance we get hahaha) in the PBS discussions here.  You may already know there is to be a new Season 6 in 2018 which will begin with a Christmas special this Christmas, and I hope our US PBS stations will show it, like they did the one last year.

Glad to have you aboard next year!

jeremiah001

« Reply #767 on: December 11, 2017, 04:20:01 AM »

Share your  personal photos with us here

Graphics and photos are welcomed here in Introductions only. We ask you to limit the size to 500 pixels on the longest side and to 100 KB in file size.

If you need a place to store your photo for posting  you might like to use this free site http://photobucket.com/

If you do not have PSP or other software for sizing and compressing your photos you might like to use http://www.shrinkpictures.com/ this is also a free site.

Hello, my name is Timothy. I am a sixty year old retiree who always wanted to learn latin. It was a great surprise discovering seniorlearn and it's latin offering. I look forwarded to starting what I know will be a rewarding experience.

Tim.

Frybabe

« Reply #768 on: December 11, 2017, 05:45:27 AM »
Welcome, Jeremiah001.

I hope you will join in some of the discussions http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php  while you wait for info on the next Latin classes. Jane should be along in a while with info and links.

BTW, the Classics Forum discussion is open to everyone, so check that out. Now and again someone posts interesting photos and articles having to do with ancient history, historical sites, and current archaeological finds, mostly Roman, but there are others.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #769 on: December 11, 2017, 05:30:12 PM »
Hello, my name is Timothy. I am a sixty year old retiree who always wanted to learn latin. It was a great surprise discovering seniorlearn and it's latin offering. I look forwarded to starting what I know will be a rewarding experience.

Tim.

Hi, Tim...username:  jeremiah001

I will email you with information about the next classes which will begin in Sept. 2018.  Enrollment will begin in mid summer of 2018.  Please look for an email from janeiowaLatin@gmail.com

jane

hector.matasol

« Reply #770 on: January 06, 2018, 11:06:15 AM »
Hi, my name is Hector Mata-Sol. I’m 59 years old. I went to a Jesuit school and I remember every morning at 7:00 AM we had Mass in Latin. Through the years I have lost any little Latin I knew. To my great surprise, I find a place where I can learn Latin. I’m looking forward to commencing classes as soon as posible. Thank you!

hector.matasol

« Reply #771 on: January 06, 2018, 11:14:23 AM »
I see the next Latin class is in Sep. 2018. I wonder if you can tell me the book that is going to be used so I can take at look at it.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #772 on: January 06, 2018, 05:49:23 PM »
Hi, Hector!

I do the registration for the Latin classes, so I will email you with a lot of information and links where you can read about the classes, the texts that are used, the cost, etc.  Look for an email from JaneiowaLatin@gmail.com

In the meantime, you can begin your reading here:

http://www.seniorlearn.org/classics/courses/descriptions.html

CarolynS

« Reply #773 on: February 25, 2018, 05:01:12 PM »
Some of you might remember me. I'm Carolyn from Auckland New Zealand. I'm a book, podcast and news junkie.  Looking forward to getting acquainted with some old SN members.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #774 on: February 25, 2018, 07:51:40 PM »
Hi, Carolyn! 

I do remember you from SeniorNet.  I’m glad you’ve found us.

Jane

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #775 on: February 25, 2018, 10:35:48 PM »
Well for heaven's sake - glad to see your post - you introduced me to Manuka Honey - was a terrific recommendation - thanks - last I remember your son lived I think you said up the hill from you - do you still live near your children - what have you been up to - what books do you read - catch us up please...   
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

MarkConnolly

• AD ASTRA PER ASPERA
    • Truth VS Reality
« Reply #776 on: March 19, 2018, 03:50:07 PM »
Hi. My name is Mark Connolly and I am interested in learning Latin. I really do better in a classroom setting, but don't have the time to attend. I am in Human Resources, three kids, 6 grand kids, and two Great Pyrenees. Looking forward to learning Latin!
Mr. Mark Connolly, OP
Non nisi te, Domine. Non nisi te.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #777 on: March 20, 2018, 07:57:36 PM »
Hi, Mark....
Delighted to see you posting around the site. That will help you when Latin classes start.  So, please look around and post in any discussion that is of interest to you.

Jane

mwthompson

« Reply #778 on: May 01, 2018, 02:00:50 PM »
Hello,
My name is Melodee.  I am an avid reader and lifelong learner.  When reading early English literature, children taking Latin classes are often mentioned. I've always wanted to learn Latin, and it must be doable!  I'm ready.

Please notify when the next beginner class is scheduled?

Thank you, Melodee

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #779 on: May 01, 2018, 08:06:52 PM »
Hi, Melodee,

I will be sending you an email with information about the Latin classes, and I’ll add you to the list to be notified when enrollment opens in mid July for the Sept. classes.

Jane

skinnerdw

« Reply #780 on: May 04, 2018, 12:35:22 PM »
Hello!  My name is Doug Skinner.  I live in West Virginia.  I'm 67 years old and have been retired for about 4 years.  During that time I cultivated an interested in watchmaking.  I went to school to study it for 2 years and graduated last September.  Since that time I've been working on servicing and restoring vintage watches.  But I also have an academic background having been trained as a chemical physicist who later went into the government sector where I worked primarily as a statistician.  I'm a great enthusiast for applied mathematics--especially as it pertains to probability theory.  When I was in high school I studied Latin and subsequent to that I studied it one-to-one with a scholar-neighbor in Chicago.  I studied it again from a then-graduate student in my church congregation.  I love the language and, as I've grown older, yearn to learn the Latin classics.  My only reservation is my age: not sure how much stamina I have left to take this on...but I'm gonna give it a try.  I welcome any advice, suggestion and help from others similarly situated.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #781 on: May 04, 2018, 04:05:25 PM »
Hi, Doug,

We have many students your age and older. 

I will email you additional information.  The email will come from janeiowaLatin@gmail.com

Jane

jogrant

« Reply #782 on: June 03, 2018, 10:56:15 PM »
Hi. I am new. I am hoping to learn Latin. I am still working, but looking forward to retiring in three to five years. I am very interested in Latin.

By the way, I did read the book the Joy Luck Club many years ago and loved it. I see some posts that is what some of you are reading.

I find the site a bit hard to navigate, so I am hoping that I get up to speed before the class.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #783 on: June 04, 2018, 12:10:36 AM »
Hi, Jogrant,

I’ll be sending you an email about the Latin class.  The Latin instructor will be leading the Joy Club discussion in July.  I hope you’ll come join the discussions here.  They are the same format as used in the Latin classes.

Jane

Mickmc

« Reply #784 on: June 15, 2018, 01:43:05 AM »
Welcome, to SeniorLearn's Books and Classics. We are glad you came, and look forward to hearing what your interests are, and whatever you'd like to share about your own life.

If you are looking for  people enthusiastic about books and reading and lifelong learning, you have come to the right place!

Let's get to know each other, some of us may be involved with the Latin Courses here, some of us may be avid readers,  and some of us may be a combination of both.

All of us are glad you came, it's starting out a  fabulous new year, help us make it a reality with your own contributions!

Welcome home.

Mickmc

« Reply #785 on: June 15, 2018, 02:14:17 AM »
Hello,
          My name is Mick I live with my mother in a place called Houghton Regis. It is in the UK near Dunstable about thirty miles north of London. I write everyday to different pen pals mostly in Russia. I taught myself how to write by writing letters. So for the last twenty years I have been reading about grammar. I think I can now parse about ninty per cent of any text. To be honest with you this hasn't improved my reading comprehension. I have just started to learn some Latin verbs. I think that learning Laton will improve my written English. I think it'll take me about 4 years of Latin study before it filters through into my English.

I like all the simple things in life. My philosophy in life is if you look hard enough the best things are on your own doorstep. I lived in Ireland before I returned to the UK to care for my mother. Walking is a big thing in my life. On a Saturday my sisters come to look after my mother. So I go off for a walk I usually walk for twenty to thirty miles. Don't get me wrong I don't treat my walks as a challenge of how far I can walk. It is more about what you see or how the seasons change. I must go but look forward to meeting you all on the Latin course.
                                Kind regards Mick

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #786 on: June 17, 2018, 01:11:38 AM »
Hi, Mick,

Welcome to SeniorLearn.  I handle the enrollment for the Latin classes, so I will send you an email from janeiowaLatin @ Gmail.com

We look forward to having you join our Latin program.  In the meantime, look around the site and join any of the book discussions.

Jane

leemoss777

Re: Introductions...Hi I am Leona
« Reply #787 on: June 19, 2018, 06:33:16 PM »
Hi, my name is Leona. I would like to take your Latin classes. Ever since I was little, I had friends that went to Catholic school and they were learning to read and speak Latin. I always thought I missed out on learning Latin. Now that I am retired, learning Latin is on my bucket list. I will be 70 in July.  I understand that Latin is part of our English language and I want to master a language I want to study. So, I will be enrolling in your September class. I can get around the computer and I have taken college classes online. I am excited.  :) Oh, I am originally from NJ. But I am visiting my oldest daughter in NC. By September I will be back in NJ. Note: I just crossed off Australia from my bucket list as of the first of June.  :D

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #788 on: June 19, 2018, 07:31:32 PM »
Hi, Leona,

I will send you information about the Latin classes, enrollment, etc.  Look for an email from janeiowaLatin@gmail.com

I am presently on vacation in San Francisco, so it may be Friday before I can get the info to you. I will try to send it now, but hotel internet is spotty.

Jane

Betta2016

« Reply #789 on: July 08, 2018, 01:21:06 AM »
Hi Jane.  Thanks for the connect and update on registration.  I became interested in learning Latin after a trip to Israel, seeing various signage in Latin and being introduced to the Catholic Mass in Latin as well as hearing very beautiful Gregorian chants. I look forward to registering in Latin 101.

Betta

BTW my name is Paula, I'm 64 and retired. I did some research on names and liked the Latin meaning and diminutive form of Elizabeth.  My birthday is Nov. 8, the Feast Day of St. Elizabeth of the Trinity.  I'm certain classical Latin will be very helpful in ecclesiastical applications.  :-)  Please call me Betta.
Beneficia!
Betta2016

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #790 on: July 08, 2018, 10:24:52 AM »
Hi, Betta,

I’m delighted you chose your username and posted.  You’ll be all ready to enroll in Latin on July 18. 

Jane

Mike47

« Reply #791 on: July 11, 2018, 05:21:34 PM »
I am a retired teacher. I recently completed an MA in creative writing. I am studying Latin and Scottish Gaelic (My grandfather's native language). I have completed the Cambridge Latin Course, but that was some years ago. Now, I want to continue my studies. I live in the UK quite close to the medieval town of Lichfield in the county of Staffordshire.

lcubed

• +
« Reply #792 on: July 13, 2018, 11:34:15 AM »
I missed deadline last year and therefore I was very happy to receive notice for this class.
I am a retired pathologist and I am looking forward to shaking loose the 4 years of Latin I took in high school. 

Linda Lavin Leska

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #793 on: July 13, 2018, 08:17:19 PM »
Hi, Mike and Icubed,

We are delighted that you are both interested in our Latin class. 

As I emailed to those on my Notification List, I’m out of state at the moment, visiting family, but I’ll be headed home Monday and Tues. I’ll send out emails again to those for whom I have emails and I’ll be posting the link in the Newsline so make sure at the very top of this page, beside the words SimpleMachinesforum that the white carat ^ is shown pointing up.  If it’s pointing down, click on it to open the Newsline.

Jane

GrammieB

« Reply #794 on: July 19, 2018, 03:51:10 PM »
Good Afternoon:

I was unable to find Latin classes offered at our local college, so I typed an inquiry for Latin classes, and this site was listed.  I look forward to learning a new language.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #795 on: July 19, 2018, 07:06:45 PM »
GrammieB....
I will email you the information you need to enroll in the Latin class.  Classes begin Sept. 13, so you have plenty of time to get the text and be ready.

Look for an email from JaneiowaLatin@gmail.com

jane

MarkConnolly

• AD ASTRA PER ASPERA
    • Truth VS Reality
« Reply #796 on: July 25, 2018, 11:47:41 AM »
Hello! My name is Mark Connolly and I am excited to have found this program. Looking forward to learning Latin!
Mr. Mark Connolly, OP
Non nisi te, Domine. Non nisi te.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #797 on: July 25, 2018, 04:13:16 PM »
Hi, Mark!

Email on the way about your enrollment in Latin.

jane

Lenok

« Reply #798 on: July 29, 2018, 10:26:45 PM »
Hello. My name is Olga. I am an immigrant from Russia. For six years, I have been living in the USA. I am married and have two sons.  I worked as a teacher in the elementary school (Russia) and enjoyed four years as the teaching assistant in PreK (America). Moreover, I taught preschools and young schoolers to play chess. Since childhood, I have been passionate about the 19th century. I read books mostly diaries of famous people, fiction, and historical books, which describe that period. One of my dreams was to learn Latin and ancient Greek and happy that I found this site. Recently, I read Oblomov, the novel by Russian writer Ivan Goncharov, published in 1859. Tolstoy is another author, whose books I like to read. This week, I found his book A Calendar of Wisdom for daily reading. I am looking forward to learning Latin and participating in the discussions.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #799 on: July 30, 2018, 10:29:44 AM »
Hi, Olga,
 I handle the enrollment for the Latin class.  Please look for an email from janeiowaLatin@gmail.com

It will give you the information you need to enroll.

jane