Author Topic: Introductions...Please click here and tell us about YOU!  (Read 186094 times)

Pat

• US 34, IL
Re: Introductions...Please click here and tell us about YOU!
« Reply #80 on: January 09, 2009, 07:02:35 PM »

Share your  personal photos with us here

Graphics and photos are welcomed here in Introductions only. We ask you to limit the size to 500 pixels on the longest side and to 100 KB in file size.

If you need a place to store your photo for posting  you might like to use this free site http://photobucket.com/

If you do not have PSP or other software for sizing and compressing your photos you might like to use http://www.shrinkpictures.com/ this is also a free site.

Pat

• US 34, IL
« Reply #81 on: January 09, 2009, 07:03:50 PM »
Nice picture.   You two don't look any older than the last time I met each of you.

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #82 on: January 09, 2009, 07:08:47 PM »
hahahaha...Thanks!

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #83 on: January 09, 2009, 10:58:16 PM »
Cool picture, Jane and MaryZ.  How neat that you two could get together and neither of you are home.

Welcome everyone.

Janice, where about in Wisconsin do you live?  I grew up in Racine and at one time had relatives living all over the state.  It's a pretty state  --  in the summer.

Persian

« Reply #84 on: January 10, 2009, 12:51:31 PM »
Greetings everyone and Happy New Year!  My computer crashed a few days ago, so have been out of touch for a while.  Don't think that I posted here when the new site opened, so will briefly offer a few comments about myself.

I'm retired from the University of Maryland with a strong background in international issues (focused primarily on the Middle East, Central Asia and China).  Following retirement, I served as the Cultural Liaison Officer at the Egyptian Bureau in Washington DC, followed by service at USDA, USAID's Africa Bureau, FAA, the Fulbright Scholars Commission and as a Project Manager at the National Institutes of Health (NIH) in Maryland.

My husband is an Egyptian university professor, currently preparing for end-of-semester exams.  He hopes to spend his Spring break in the USA for several weeks, then return to Egypt to complete the Spring semester.

My son is a Special Forces Army Chaplain, currently stationed with his family in Europe.  He's helping to prepare several thousand soldiers for deployment to Afghanistan sometime in the Spring.  He and his family spent Thanksgiving on a Mission trip to Poland, where they (and 60 other military couples) prepared a typical Thanksgiving meal for children at an orphanage.

I'm currently preparing to participate in a book discussion at our local library on Greg Mortenson's Three Cups of Tea, which features his experiences in Afghanistan.  My role will be to lead a discussion on Afghan culture, help participants to understand tribal and clan culture, and get a better sense of the historical aspect of this world region.

I've also just volunteered to coordinate a Spanish conversation class for the next 12 weeks, hosted by a local Adult group at an area church, located an excellent Instructor (originally from Puerto Rico), and encouraged folks who have never studied a foreign language to participate.

And, finally, I've recently undertaken the logistical responsibility for the next three months as we launch a Wednesday evening supper program at an area church for individuals, families and single parents in the community who might otherwise not be fed.  Our first venture was last Wednesday and I dubbed myself "Mistress of Ice Cream" (of course).

My literary interests are primarily focused on world regions, historical texts, how ancient and contemporary cultural norms interweave and are still reflected in current families, as well as how people of varied backgrounds relocate world-wide (as I have done several times) and their successes or failures impact their lives.  I'm also interested in gender issues among individuals born to "repressive" societies, whether determined by misunderstood faith customs or the repression of one gender by another.

I'm from a multicultural (French/Irish/Persian) and multi-faith background - my husband is an Egyptian Muslim, my son is an ordained Southern Baptist minister/Chaplain, and I am a baptized Catholic.  I've fellowshipped in many multi-faith communities, including small Christian groups in China (during a tour as a visiting professor) and in small Jewish home gatherings in Iran.

Thanks to all who enthusiastically set up this new site for all of us to enjoy!

Mahlia

Laura

« Reply #85 on: January 11, 2009, 01:48:23 PM »
Hi everyone!  I'm Laura from the south coast of Maine.  I have been participating sporadically in the Seniornet books discussions for several years.  I am glad there is a new forum for us to get together.

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #86 on: January 11, 2009, 05:55:14 PM »
Welcome Mahlia, 

Thanks for telling us about yourself.  We are very glad to have you here.

Laura!  WElcome!!  It is so good to see you here.  We are glad that you found the Seniorlearn Book Discussions.

Joan G
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #87 on: January 12, 2009, 10:35:26 AM »
I want to thank Pat Westerdale for sending me the email about this site.  I have missed SeniorNet, especially the Mystery Book forum.  Does anyone know if the other forums are going to be started (Gardening?)

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #88 on: January 12, 2009, 02:02:50 PM »
Hi FlaJean
and welcome!!  It is good to see you here.

AS for the gardening discussion,  I really don't think it will started here.  I think this site is being devoted only to Books and Lit discussion and the Latin Classes.  The Latin students had paid for classes that they were unable to finish with the demise of SeniorNet.  So Ginny felt strongly that they must have a place..... However, Ginny, JoanP or Pat Westerdale can tell you more than I can about all of that.

Joan G

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #89 on: January 12, 2009, 03:33:20 PM »
Hi, FLAJEAN! Come on over to Mystery Corner (use jump to arrow below)

dsachs007

« Reply #90 on: January 12, 2009, 07:05:52 PM »
I am a retired nuclear physicist.  Since my retirement, I have been writing fiction and non-fiction and have self-published two books--one a children's book and the other a compilation of my other writings. I am a member of two book clubs--we read and discuss both fiction and non-fiction books. One of the book clubs also includes reading and critiqueing our writings.  Our clubs try to choose both classics and recent publications for discussion.
I enjoy discussing books that I have read--as well as suggestions for new books.
dsachs007

fureteur

« Reply #91 on: January 12, 2009, 10:21:56 PM »
I'm certainly pleased to have found this site, courtesy of ET, a former participant in SeniorNet’s WREX.  My septuagenarian status hasn’t diminished my interest in or ability to read in the least and I find that I can be as stimulated and excited at the discovery of another piece of literary work—fiction or essay—as ever I was at the age of twenty.  My love of reading has been a lifelong love affair, from Edmund Wilson’s The Man Who Shot Snapping Turtles to Edward Gibbon’s History of The Decline and Fall of The Roman Empire, from Theodore Dreiser’s An American Tragedy or Hemingway’s The Old Man and The Sea to Chanson de Roland or Boswell's Life of Johnson, … I love it all.

Quote from: Zulema
I would certainly like to know what happened to Senior Net and our memberships in it, or is this not the right place to ask these questions?

If not here, where can they be asked?

I may be able to shed a little light on what has happened at SeniorNet, although in the end even what I have to offer is somewhat speculative.

I am something of an Internet security and privacy freak and am probably better informed concerning such matters than most.  While researching such business last September, I ran across an exploit that had been created for the PHP (Personal Home Page) format and the associated Joomla! bridge that often is part of interactive web pages.  SeniorNet used these tools—as does this and other such websites—and I thought it would be well to inform SeniorNet concerning their vulnerability to the script.  CERT (Computer Emergency Response Team) at Carnegie Mellon University in Pennsylvania had documented the script and  even had a verbatim copy of it.  I passed the information on to SeniorNet, was thanked for the information, but the cat was already out of the bag and the damage had already been done.

Unfortunately, SeniorNet provided very little information concerning their problem, other than acknowledging that they had experienced an “attack.”  I think, but can't be certain, that the nature of this script is what is called a “DoS” (Denial of Service) attack and SeniorNet, as many of you already know, has not been the least forthcoming about their problem, not then and not through the present.

And of course I can be entirely wrong about this script having played a part in what they experienced.  I suspect not, however.

SeniorNet has been through a considerable upheaval since then.  The result has been personnel changes and they have abandoned their California-based server altogether in favor of one in Texas, but at present their website offers little to attract their former on-line membership and is presently an information-only site with no member participation at all.  That may change in the future, but again, SeniorNet is remaining mute about all of this.  I suspect that their present difficulty finds them unable to pull the plug that drains the swamp while they are trying to fight of the alligators, if I may use a tired phrase.

I am looking forward to interacting with all of you here!

Wisewoman

« Reply #92 on: January 13, 2009, 11:52:24 AM »
Welcome, to SeniorLearn's Books and Classics. We are glad you came, and look forward to hearing what your interests are, and whatever you'd like to share about your own life.

If you are looking for  people enthusiastic about books and reading and lifelong learning, you have come to the right place!

Let's get to know each other, some of us may be involved with the Latin Courses here, some of us may be avid readers,  and some of us may be a combination of both.

All of us are glad you came, it's starting out a  fabulous new year, help us make it a reality with your own contributions!

Welcome home.

Wisewoman

« Reply #93 on: January 13, 2009, 12:01:40 PM »
Hi:

I'm Wisewoman and I am very new to this site.  It's not easy for me to navigate, so please be patient with me.

As for my interests I hold an AA degree in Liberal Arts, a BA in English and a MA in English.  I've taught writing on the college level and presently, I am semi-retired, editing the church newsletter, writing with my writing group twice a year and planning to remarry within the next few months.  I also have five children and ten grandchildren.  In addition, I love to quilt, crochet, read, cook and bake.  I love to drive and take small trips whenever I can.  I've been a dancer and worked at Arthur Murray's, where I met my first husband.  Life has been good and challenging and I thank God for all that I have received, especially the new man in my life. 

As for reading, I like good, challenging books, stories with interesting themes and language that supports it.  I'm not into chick books, or anything else that resembles Oprah.  Daytime TV is not for me and wasn't even when I raised five children.  Too many good things to do.  I'm a busy person and I don't know if I can come to this site often.  But I will try my best.

Joan

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #94 on: January 13, 2009, 12:38:57 PM »
Dear Wisewoman - Joan,

You will not believe the number of Joan's attracted to this site.  But we are not all "wise".  We are so happy you found us - and hope you will stay longer than you intended!  Your interests match so many of our participants...we pride ourselves on "cordial, literate discussions." 
I believe that you will navigate easily with a little practice.  If you encounter a problem, just say so in a post and someone will jump right in to help you.

If you go to the Book Club Online discussion, you will see that there is a vote in progress for  our next in-depth discussion beginning Feb.1.  I know it's difficult - nine excellent nominations, but any one of them will provide for a lively discussion.  We hope to see you there.  You have until 5 pm eastern - today - to cast your vote.  You'll find the poll at the top of the page in the Book Club Online discussion.

Welcome, wise Joan!

Pat

• US 34, IL
« Reply #95 on: January 13, 2009, 01:33:32 PM »
fureteur --
I think you have that right.  Your explanation/supposition sounds very plausible and probably accurate.

Gumtree

« Reply #96 on: January 14, 2009, 12:41:59 AM »
Fureteur Hello there - I've been watching out for you as a long time ago on SNet you sent me a personal message asking about an Aussie film you are trying to track down. I only discovered your message when S'Net was falling apart and sent you a reply then but I guess it's unlikely you reeived it.

- I think the film you're after could well be The Shiralee from a novel by D'Arcy Niland. It starred Peter Finch and Elizabeth Sellars and has some of the elements you mentioned - an estranged couple and a small child with much of the story in regional and outback Australia. Finch was a brilliant actor and took some great roles but sadly he died too young. Hope this is what you're looking for.
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #97 on: January 14, 2009, 08:55:23 PM »
For discussing anything besides books or Latin, you can find most of the old SN folders at this site:

http://www.seniorsandfriends.org/index.php?PHPSESSID=e13adb2481bdc2715781f30364ca480d;www

For now, it has taken the place of SN other topics and may remain open after the old SN returns.  The host is Pat Scott and she has hinted at leaving the site up even if SN returns.  Her site is called Seniors and Friends.

If you like books and the other discussions, why not make both of them your favorites and transfer back and forth.
We are only here for Books and Latin and will welcome anyone who wants to join us in our discussions.

"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #98 on: January 15, 2009, 12:34:35 PM »
fureteur, do you have a feel for whether The current version of Joomla! as used here on SeniorLearn is also vulnerable to this attack?

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #99 on: January 15, 2009, 04:22:34 PM »
PatH,  rest assured we are using SMF,  not Joomla on this site.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #100 on: January 15, 2009, 06:16:51 PM »
Duh!  Thanks, Joan, now that you say that, I can see it says SMF at the bottom of the page, but I'm so computer-ignorant I didn't know what it meant.

angelablood

« Reply #101 on: January 16, 2009, 08:32:43 AM »
Hi I am new to seniorlearn today.Was passed the site details by Maryemm, who I do not know but hope to now.I am a carer for my disabled son so spend a lot of time at home and my computer has become a friend. I would like to do an online course but don't know where to start. I read a lot as well and notice you have book discussions.Hope you wouldn't mind me joining you sometime!!!

Pat

• US 34, IL
« Reply #102 on: January 16, 2009, 09:00:56 AM »
Welcome - Welcome, angelablood.

Latin sign up is for next Fall. Check out the page
Senior Classics Project
and write latin@seniorlearn.org.

A Book Discussion Index  will show all the good discussions we have.

Thanks to Maryemm for showing you the way to our website.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #103 on: January 16, 2009, 09:02:33 AM »
Mind!!  We would love to have you join us, Angela!  You will mind a number of folks here who have made friends over the years in these book discussions.  Please be sure to stop in the Library to introduce yourself again and then sample the General Discussions.  Starting Feb.1 we will begin and in-depthe discussion of the winner of our current vote.  We hope to see you there - an experience you will not want to miss.  If you haven't done so, you can still get in on the choice in the Book Club Online discussion.  Welcome aboard!

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #104 on: January 16, 2009, 12:59:34 PM »
ANGELABLOOD: WELCOME. And don't miss our "genre" discussions: mystery Corner, Science Fiction, Read Around the World, Non-Fiction. Poetry is coming soon. Drop into whichever suit your reading taste.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #105 on: January 17, 2009, 10:44:46 AM »
Gum and Fureteur -- that film The Shiralee sounds good, and so does the book from whence it comes -- Macaulay's Daughter.  Netflix will release the 2-disc Shiralee March9, 09 -- from the 1987 TV miniseries.  But the cast listed is different from what Gum spoke of, so don't know if it's the same Shiralee.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #106 on: January 17, 2009, 04:22:41 PM »
Welcome, Everyone! As the Children's  Librarian sings in the weekly program where I take my grandbaby,

Welcome, welcome, Everyone,
Now you're here, we'll have some fun!

I hope this is not an indication of the current depth of my mind,  which lately seems to run in nursery rhyme jingles :) Welcome!  hahhaaa

198 Members as of today! WOW!! Can you believe that? Who will be the 200th? Very exciting!! I must find our  fireworks!

Welcome!

kiwilady

« Reply #107 on: January 18, 2009, 04:18:08 PM »
Most of you know me. I am a widow living in the Auckland Region in New Zealand. I have four grown children and six grandchildren. I have 2 little elderly dogs and 2 young outdoor cats.

I read a lot and enjoy many genres. I like to read one serious book and have two on hand for light reading.

Carolyn

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #108 on: January 18, 2009, 06:07:29 PM »
Welcome Carolyn, Kiwi Lady,  We are so happy that you have joined us here on Seniorlearn and look forward to having you discuss books with us.

We are all looking forward to the first discussion in the Book Club Online on Feb. 1.,  Hope that you will join us there.

Joan G.

Gumtree

« Reply #109 on: January 18, 2009, 08:56:04 PM »
Hi Kiwilady Good to see you here...hope we'll meet in the upcoming book discussion.
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #110 on: January 20, 2009, 02:37:49 PM »
Glad to see you back, Carolyn.

HaroldArnold

« Reply #111 on: January 22, 2009, 09:48:25 AM »
 Thoough through the neare future I will not be as Seniorsnet active as I have been during the past 10 years I definitely want to continue an association.  I am very sorry to note the apparent termination of the previous organization.  The last I heard they were moving the headquarters to Washington DC from where the organization would re-emerge.  Is there any chance that this might still happen?

I hope in the future, possibly later this year, to offer new nonfiction discussions. n And thank you Ginny and Joan for creating this alternative site.

HaroldArnold 

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #112 on: January 22, 2009, 10:20:00 AM »
Welcome Harold!!  WE are so happy that you have joined us here.

As for SeniorNet,  I don't think anyone really knows what is happening with them.

We are all grateful to Ginny, Pat W, JoanP and others who have established this wonderful site where we can continue to discuss books together.

We will look forward to the discussions that you will lead here in the future.

Joan Grimes

Robby

« Reply #113 on: January 24, 2009, 06:25:21 PM »
Carolyn (KiwiLady):  We miss you in Story of Civilization!

Robby

HaroldArnold

« Reply #114 on: January 26, 2009, 12:03:47 PM »
Thia morning I visited the old seniorsnet site and was able to sign on using my old name Id and password.  Many of the old notebook sites were still available.  There was even a clickable link to our Books and literature site.  Clicking it however led to a dead end page with out any clickable books menu.  I was even able to revise my profile to show my new Yahoo Email address (hhullar5@yahoo.com ).

Do you suppose maybe they intend to bring back the old Books discussion pages?

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #115 on: January 26, 2009, 12:41:25 PM »
Harold,

Good to see you here again.

I don't think that any of us can answer your question about SeniorNet's intentions.  However we do know that SeniorLearn is a pemanent place.  Book discussions will go on here.

Ella has been looking for you to come help her with her history and non-fiction discussions.  She really wants your paticipation in the book discussions that she is planning.

This is a permanent place...So please join in our discussions here.

Joan G

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
This is quite painful to tell...
« Reply #116 on: February 04, 2009, 01:03:42 PM »
Harold, I've heard from one of SeniorNet's regional directors that because of security reasons, none of the discussions will be restored.  They have all been deleted.

We are so fortunate to have saved as much as we did, don't you think?

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #117 on: February 04, 2009, 01:04:08 PM »
Happy Birthday, Ginny!  Let's CELEBRAAATE!  

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #118 on: February 05, 2009, 06:33:39 AM »
hahah Thank you Joan, no place I'd rather be than here in our online family.  It  seemed quite the celebration with the colorful greetings here. What a cute illustration!!

Welcome, Everybody! Tell us about yourselves!  Are you in the midst of the snow we keep seeing on the news? No snow for us here in SC, I really miss it!  

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #119 on: February 05, 2009, 09:14:54 AM »
Good Morning to All,

I missed wishing you a Happy Birthday yesterday Ginny.  Please accept my late birthday wishes to you.  I hope that you had a lovely birthday.

I am so thankful that there is no snow here.  The cold is almost more than I can deal with but at least it is a beautiful sunny day.

Folks tell us about yourselves.  Let us all get to know you here in this discussion on SeniorLearn.  We are all so happy to be here with wonderful book discussions and book talk going full force.

Joan Grimes