Author Topic: Introductions...Please click here and tell us about YOU!  (Read 185751 times)

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
Re: Introductions...Please click here and tell us about YOU!
« Reply #680 on: September 06, 2016, 10:20:34 PM »
Debora...It's nice to see you posting here and in your Latin area!!

Good job.

Eileen

• #
Re: Introductions...Please cliclk here and tell us about YOU!
« Reply #681 on: September 07, 2016, 04:12:49 PM »
Hi,

I had been a Latin Teacher for 28 years.  At the beginning, 1974, the students were happy and eager to learn.  Gradually, translating the Classics, Caesar, Cicero, and Livy, were unable to hold their attention.  I was working much harder than they were.

We began translating sentences (Latin to English...English to Latin), and I had them back again.
We all were happy with dependent clauses, gerunds, passive periphrastics.

In this school system, we took pride in offering four foreign languages. Then, we felt the crunch of the economic burden on the state and local levels.

I am interested in getting back in the groove, if I can.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #682 on: September 07, 2016, 04:27:30 PM »
Hi, Eileen,

You may want to pop over into the Orientation for all Latin students new to SeniorLearn and practice finding your way around a Latin folder.  You'll be at your own level class come Monday, but in the practice room we've set up, you can learn to manipulate around the Latin folder...which are the same, regardless of the level of the content.

Here's the link I sent you in email:

http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?board=221.0

msmealvarez1957

« Reply #683 on: September 17, 2016, 11:48:43 AM »
Hello there,
My name is Martha and I live in Houston, Texas. I found this webste when searching for Latin classs. I had the opportunity to take Latin in high school but did not and now I have started to attend Latin Masses and want to participate fully. I am sad that I have to wait until next Fall of 2017 to start classes but maybe I can join the reading group. I don't take the time to read as I should but I do enjoy classic novels, mysteries, autobiographies, and faith based books. I am 59 years old and have a son and daughter and five grandchildren. I also have six brothers and no sisters.  I am looking forward to senior learning, as I love learning new and exciting things. God is awesome. Peace and love to all of you. ~ Martha

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #684 on: September 17, 2016, 02:34:17 PM »
Hi, Martha, I've emailed you about Latin. Be on the lookout for email from janeiowaLatin@gmail.com

Jeremiel

« Reply #685 on: September 19, 2016, 05:47:20 PM »
Hello,
I picked Jeremiel for my username, but my real name is John. I'll be 76 in November. I came across this forum while surfing the net, and since I'm interested in learning languages I opened an account. I hope I'm not too late to start the Latin beginner class. I've never had any formal Latin classes, but I did grow up hearing Latin in church. My parents both spoke Spanish so I acquired both Spanish and English as a child. My grammar isn't that great but I can read and write both. I have been trying to teach myself Latin, and can read the Vulgate somewhat. I'm in the process of reading Cesar's Gallic wars, (the first few chapters only), so I was very happy to find this senior learning center, where the price is right for someone like me who is on social security.
Jeremiel
mihi enim vivere Christus est et mori lucrum. ( ad Philippenses Caput I Versus XXI Biblia Sacra Vulgata)

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #686 on: September 19, 2016, 08:11:03 PM »
The class has been ongoing now for a week, Jeremiel...

If you understand that, and you've read the class description and ordered the exact textbook listed...with that exact ISBN no. here:

http://www.seniorlearn.org/classics/courses/descriptions.html

and you still want to try and catch up now, you can enroll here:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/KFNW8M3

Jeremiel

« Reply #687 on: September 20, 2016, 12:42:27 PM »
The class has been ongoing now for a week, Jeremiel...

If you understand that, and you've read the class description and ordered the exact textbook listed...with that exact ISBN no. here:

and you still want to try and catch up now, you can enroll here:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/KFNW8M3

I just finished enrolling, and the payment has been sent by PayPal.  I ordered the text from Amazon 2 day delivery, so I will have the book on Thursday afternoon. I am looking forward to joining the class.

Thank you,
John (alias Jeremiel)
mihi enim vivere Christus est et mori lucrum. ( ad Philippenses Caput I Versus XXI Biblia Sacra Vulgata)

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #688 on: September 20, 2016, 12:55:59 PM »
Thanks, John.

I've rec'd your enrollment; I'll email you when the PayPal comes through.

You're in a class and I've emailed you a long email...sorry 'bout that...but a step by step to get you caught up and into the swing of the class that's translating now.

Look for email from janeiowaLatin@gmail.com

edwardnev

« Reply #689 on: September 23, 2016, 08:55:22 AM »
My grandchildren, who are homeschooled, are learning Latin.. I would like to get started and learn with them.  Where do I start?  Thank you in advance for the help.   

Ed.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #690 on: September 23, 2016, 09:07:52 AM »
Ed....the class has been underway now for two weeks.  If you still want to join and catch up,
read here and get the text ordered ASAP....exact ISBN no. is on this page:

I will email you with the enrollment link.  Please be aware you'll have a lot of reading and two or more written assignments to catch up on.

GregMansi

« Reply #691 on: October 14, 2016, 11:59:32 AM »
Hello
My name is Gregory Mansi.  I am a student of history (aged 54) and am interested in studying Latin in order to facilitate further study in the classics, which is my greatest interest. 

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #692 on: October 14, 2016, 02:28:03 PM »
Hi, Greg,
The Latin classes are well underway, but I'll you to the list to be notified when enrollment opens again next summer.

Jane

Alf

« Reply #693 on: December 10, 2016, 11:21:24 AM »
OMG, I'm getting old :D. I forgot my user name which was ALF43 and my password, due to my extended absence here at Senior Learn. Thank God for Jane and Marcie, as I feel like a fish out of water here. I just reread my initial post from '08 when we switched over from senior net to Senior Learn.  It made me sad, remembering and reminiscing of those we've lost thru the years.
I'm going to play around a bit and see if I remember how to navigate still.
Hello to all of my old friends and new ones to meet.

Alf

« Reply #694 on: December 10, 2016, 11:24:03 AM »
Jane I had to re register .  Or should I use my old user name?

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #695 on: December 10, 2016, 03:11:28 PM »
Which ever you want is fine, Andy.  Let me know which one to delete...ALF or ALF43.

OK? 

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #696 on: December 10, 2016, 07:21:18 PM »
It used to be that if you deleted someone's name as a member, it deleted any posts made under that name.  Is that still true?

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #697 on: December 10, 2016, 07:37:21 PM »
I don't know.  We'll have to have Marcie answer that.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #698 on: December 21, 2016, 11:22:16 AM »
We can delete a user without removing the prior posts.

Fran

« Reply #699 on: December 31, 2016, 06:43:55 PM »
We can delete a user without removing the prior posts.

EXBRIT

« Reply #700 on: February 26, 2017, 06:17:08 PM »
Am I here ?   this post is dated  9 years ago......   I wanted to LEARN LATIN   and managed to register ( I think !)  very CONFUSING

Frybabe

« Reply #701 on: February 26, 2017, 06:36:45 PM »
Hi ExBrit. We are still alive and kicking. Don't know why your machine is showing the wrong date.

You can ask your questions about the Latin classes here http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=4887.0 but I won't be surprised if one of the gals answers you here too.

Meanwhile, we'd be happy to have you join us in some of our other discussions.

Frybabe

« Reply #702 on: February 26, 2017, 06:45:44 PM »
ExBrit, I should have mentioned that the new Latin classes won't open for registration until July or August, but the Classics forum is open to all, so check that out. Jane keeps a list of those who want to register so she can send a reminder e-mail when the time comes.

We often post things we run across about new archeological finds and other things of interest pertaining to ancient history. http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=5.0

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #703 on: February 26, 2017, 09:34:54 PM »
Hi, ExBrit....I answered you in the other area where you posted, and I've sent you an email from the email I use to register Latin students.  Check your email, please,  for one from JaneiowaLatin@gmail.com

EXBRIT

« Reply #704 on: February 27, 2017, 08:09:12 PM »
Hello all
beginning to get my bearings around here. It is very confusing starting off.
Generalities about me. British born now proudly American since 1972. 79 y/o  turn the big 80 next April. Widowed since 2005 and live accompanied by 2 dogs & 1 cat.  I use 4 languages at the native level. Have been tri-lingual since age 4 and added Italian in University there. Command Eng. Span. French. Italian fully-read and write. Schooled in the French system included Latin and now waiting for the Latin school to begin in July......want to freshen up but will begin from preK as suggested. Also teaching myself German (daily) using two systems....tapes and cassettes, Berlitz and a prog. through the PC....also brought myself up to level 4 piano (self study)  so I do have the necessary sticktoittivness required (Latin)?.....still employed and use languages daily-mostly French for our FrenchCanadian  clients. A special thing.!
Will get around to books  shortly,  just not now.  I have abused your patience with this drivel.  Thankyou  I DO feel welcomed.
p.s.  just for grins ......at age 9  was reading everything I could find by STUDS TERKEL.....he was my hero  I was already then interested in the  USA society and its workings

pp.ss.  nothing was received in the EMail from Jane   and   PPP.SSS.  My mother lets me not say I am old !    ( SHE IS 103  and in better shape than I )

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #705 on: February 27, 2017, 10:02:16 PM »
ExBrit....

My email to you was sent last evening at 8:25 pm Central time.  Please check your spam box to make sure it didn't end up there.  We've had that happen with some email programs. 

I will, however, put the content of the email below in case it's not in your spam folder.  I will also resend it to you at the email you listed when you registered.

Thank you for your interest in our Latin classes.  The links below will give you general information about our classes.  The second one will also explain what our classes are and are not and what makes ours different from others out there.

http://www.seniorlearn.org/classics

Please understand that our classes are conducted on a bulletin-board forum.
We like this style because all posts (comments, explanations, etc.) stay and can be re-read as needed or wanted.

This is an old format on the internet, and one that students need to be willing to adjust to.  As with any educational undertaking, students must be self-motivated to want to learn, to be willing to do the work and practice required to master the new grammar and vocabulary of Latin.  The information is not sent by email.  It's on our website in the form of assignments and a classroom within a Latin area that is open only to those enrolled in the class, the Instructor and her support staff.  We do an Orientation a week before the classes start to help the students become familiar with our format and answer any questions they may still have.

Students are expected to do the assignments and either post their responses in the classroom discussion or email them to the Instructor as she directs.

The Instructor is present for the 2  days each week that the class meets for new material.  There is practice  work to be done on other days.  She provides additional explanation, gentle correction, etc. as students post their practice/ drills/translations of the week's work.  We try, as closely as possible, to replicate a bricks and mortar classroom.

Students come from all different time zones, so there is no precise time on a given day when you must appear.  Students come into the class as their schedules permit.  The Instructor will save for the "night crew"...those who can only get on during the evenings...sections of translations or vocabulary or grammar practice so the night crew has work to do that hasn't been posted already by other students.

This is not a "do it when you feel like it" class.  The class moves at the pace set by the teacher, based on the students' mastery of the material. For this reason, the entire semester's assignments are not laid out at the beginning.    She usually gives a week's assignments in advance, but may change that as students encounter problem areas that need more explanation and practice.

The next classes begin in September of 2017. Enrollment will open in midsummer. 

If you have had previous formal academic Latin coursework,  it would be necessary during the summer to determine your Latin background before determining if you could enroll in any level above our beginning level.  The reason for this is because the Instructor adds a great deal of grammar, history and culture  to the class that is not included in the Cambridge
Many of our students who come with some previous formal Latin study find  it most beneficial to start at the beginning.

I'll add you to my notification list.  If you do not hear from me by late July, please check at the website since emails  can and do go astray.

If you have additional questions, please email me.

jane
Registrar~Latin
www.seniorlearn.org

EXBRIT

« Reply #706 on: February 28, 2017, 11:32:45 AM »
Thanks JAN and good morning to all
YES  did indeed receive the update EMail so I suppose
everything is now "copasetic"  (or something like that )
still learning how to operate in this new environment
it seems strange that one has to ride through 18
screens just to see the latest entries. Wouldn`t it make
better sense to have the latest entry AT THE TOP, or
when one first connects ????????  oh here is a newbie
criticizing.....just what y`all did not need

Frybabe

« Reply #707 on: February 28, 2017, 11:46:05 AM »
ExBrit, you can change your settings by clicking on your account name. Your Account Summary will come up. Above the Summary bar there are two clickable buttons. Click on the Modify Profile and then click on Look and Layout. There is a line you can check to have the most recent post come up first.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #708 on: February 28, 2017, 08:25:53 PM »
ExBrit....while you can indeed have latest first, it's also VERY confusing to do that....because you're getting a conversation in reverse...you get responses before you know what the topic or question is.

I'd suggest you use the page numbers at the bottom  ~ Here, for example, it says Pages:1...16 17 [18]. That means 18 is the last page, where we're now posting ~ to go to the last page in a discussion you've not yet visited and the NEW icon in discussions like this where you've already posted.  The NEW will take you to the first NEW post since you were last here.

Frybabe

« Reply #709 on: February 28, 2017, 08:59:14 PM »
Jane, I never noticed the new posts icon before. I see it on the main discussions page, but not on my others. I guess that is because I don't have any new posts right now.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #710 on: February 28, 2017, 10:12:52 PM »
If you click SHOW NEW REPLIES TO YOUR POSTS...up there under the Hello (your username), you'll get a list of those dicussions where you've posted with the new posts.  Click the NEW and you'll o right to that first new post.  Then click SHOW NEW REPLIES TO YOUR POSTS.. again and the list will reappear and you can go to the next new post in a different discussion, etc.

DanielKBalter

« Reply #711 on: April 04, 2017, 12:25:13 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I signed up on this website in order to learn Latin, but all I can find is postings up to 2012. Is there an ongoing, current, Latin learning program?
My name is Daniel; I am 58 years old. I paint Eastern Orthodox church interiors with murals: life-sized Saints and scenes from the life of Christ, etc.
 I also teach art classes through the University of Oregon in Eugene Oregon. I have studied Koine Greek and Biblical Hebrew and have previously taught Hebrew classes in churches. I love languages and Classical Literature.
My areas of interest are history, philosophy, language, and fine art.
I look forward to our conversations,
Daniel

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #712 on: April 04, 2017, 01:04:25 PM »
Hi, Daniel....
If you look further down this menu listing, you'll see:

Latin Classes Information
Come into this discussion to find information and links to details about the next session of Latin classes.

Here's a direct link:
http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?board=170.0

Enrollment for the Sept. 2017 classes will open in mid July.  I'm going to email you information about the classes, so please be on the lookout for an email from janeiowaLatin@gmail.com

jane

nanarayna

« Reply #713 on: April 12, 2017, 05:58:02 PM »
I am an active married senior still working part time.  I am a grandmother of 10. I live in a Chicago suburb and am an active member of two book clubs.   I love to read and discuss books.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #714 on: April 12, 2017, 09:44:38 PM »
Well, you've come to the right place, nanarayna. Welcome.  Have a look around and see what you like.  Tell us what you're reading in the Library, or the Fiction, Non-fiction, etc sections.  I'm retired, live in the Washington, DC area, and always have a book in my hands.

Madannie

« Reply #715 on: April 18, 2017, 11:30:34 AM »
Greetings all!  I am very happy to be here.  I'm afraid technology has grabbed a hold of me and I have been struggling to get loose.  I love to read and have been wanting to learn Latin for a long while.  I'll try to be vigilant and responsible to this site.  I look forward to learning about you all, books and whatever else there is to offer.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #716 on: April 18, 2017, 11:52:00 AM »
Hi, Madannie!

You've found the right spot if you like to read and are interested in Latin.

Scroll down this link...it's our main menu, and pop into whatever discussion interests you.  Remember you'll be taken to the FIRST post in that discussion, which may be many years ago.  To get to the latest, click on the last little number down at the bottom. That's the page number..and the higher the number the newer the posts.

Here is a link to the current Hidden Figures book discussion...this month's featured discussion:

http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=5053.40

I will send you via email information about the Latin classes.  Look for an email from janeiowaLatin@gmail.com  Enrollment for Sept's class will open in mid summer.

jane

Frybabe

« Reply #717 on: April 18, 2017, 12:08:05 PM »
Welcome, Madannie!

We are always happy to add new voices to the discussions. Please pop in and tell us about what you are reading, what books you like, or just to say hi.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #718 on: April 18, 2017, 01:14:23 PM »
The Library is  good place to start. It's a general and miscellaneous place

NolanP

« Reply #719 on: May 20, 2017, 03:43:14 AM »
Hi everybody.