Author Topic: Introductions...Please click here and tell us about YOU!  (Read 98674 times)

Frybabe

Re: Introductions...Please click here and tell us about YOU!
« Reply #720 on: May 20, 2017, 06:34:23 AM »
Welcome, NolanP.

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #721 on: May 20, 2017, 11:50:51 AM »
Hi, Nolan!
Welcome to SeniorLearn.  We specialize here in two things: (1) in Books...talking about a specific one every month, but also about various genres and what we're reading and and about books in general in the Library.  http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?board=18.0

You can get back to our whole menu/index of discussions by going back to the place where you logged in:

http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php
and scrolling down.

and (2) Latin program run by our own Ginny.  For information on that, you can go here:  http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?board=170.0

jane

rosemarykaye

« Reply #722 on: May 24, 2017, 02:34:49 AM »
Hello Nolan - do tell us about yourself if you wish. I am in Edinburgh, Scotland and this site has been a part of my life for years now. It's very friendly!

Annie

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #723 on: May 24, 2017, 07:40:15 PM »
Whatever happened to Madannie? You should have told her that we have another Annie on SL, Jane!  I hope she will be back.  I guess I could look for her in our other genre. 🤓Back soon!
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

phil dominy

phil
« Reply #724 on: June 05, 2017, 08:04:01 PM »
hello I am phil dominy age 65 a veteran i read and study astronomy, philosophy. latin will be useful to me so that I might read tacitus, seneca, ovid , cicero in their original language. the books that i like most are: the karamozov brothers, crime and punishment, the glass bead game,and of course the lord of the rings trilogy.

Frybabe

« Reply #725 on: June 06, 2017, 06:49:59 AM »
Welcome, Phil.

I've been doing Latin here for quite a few years now and have, for the most part, been enjoying it. This year my section worked on Pliny the Younger's letters. What a delight.

While you are waiting for the next enrollment session. We would love it if you checked out some of our discussion groups. The Library is our main generic discussion group. The Classics Forum is always open to everyone, not just Latin students. We often post things of interest we find regarding Greek and Roman (mostly) finds and history.

I tried reading Crime and Punishment when in my teens. I didn't get too far. Thanks for reminding me about The Glass Bead Game. It is a title I ran across a few years ago and then forgot about before it got onto my TBR list. I shall have to do that now, before I forget again.

Frybabe

« Reply #726 on: June 06, 2017, 07:25:33 AM »
I almost forgot, Phil. If you liked the Lord of the Rings series, I hope you get a chance to read The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrun. Tolkien was fascinated by the great Northern legends which inspired him to write his own Ring series. If you haven't read The Nibelungenlied (mine is the Dover Thrift Edition translated by D. G. Mowatt) or seen Wagner's Ring Cycle opera, I highly recommend them.

The Shilmarillion eluded me. I had the book, didn't read it, and now it is gone. Shame on me.

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #727 on: June 06, 2017, 06:21:09 PM »
Phil....
I do the enrollment for the Latin classes, and I'll add your name to the list to be notified when enrollment opens in mid July.

I will also be sending you an email with info about the Latin classes.  Be on the lookout for an email from janeiowaLatin@gmail.com

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #728 on: June 07, 2017, 11:50:02 AM »
Welcome, Phil,

I'm another LOTR fan.  Tolkien had a much better feel for what makes a good myth than any of his imitators.  Frybabe, you got farther than I did with the Niebelungenlied (mine is the Penguin edition, A. T. Hatto, translator) but I'll get back to it sometime.  Sigurd and Gudrun will have to wait it's turn; I don't like to read anything that shifts the original story until I have a firm background so I know what's been changed.

We read some of Ovid in translation here, and I'd love to be able to read the original.  One translator pointed out some nifty poetic tricks that are easy to do in Latin, but mostly not translatable.

Do come into any of the discussions here that appeal to you; everyone is welcome.