Author Topic: Introductions...Please click here and tell us about YOU!  (Read 185769 times)

Frybabe

Re: Introductions...Please click here and tell us about YOU!
« Reply #720 on: May 20, 2017, 06:34:23 AM »
Welcome, NolanP.

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #721 on: May 20, 2017, 11:50:51 AM »
Hi, Nolan!
Welcome to SeniorLearn.  We specialize here in two things: (1) in Books...talking about a specific one every month, but also about various genres and what we're reading and and about books in general in the Library.  http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?board=18.0

You can get back to our whole menu/index of discussions by going back to the place where you logged in:

http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php
and scrolling down.

and (2) Latin program run by our own Ginny.  For information on that, you can go here:  http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?board=170.0

jane

rosemarykaye

« Reply #722 on: May 24, 2017, 02:34:49 AM »
Hello Nolan - do tell us about yourself if you wish. I am in Edinburgh, Scotland and this site has been a part of my life for years now. It's very friendly!

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #723 on: May 24, 2017, 07:40:15 PM »
Whatever happened to Madannie? You should have told her that we have another Annie on SL, Jane!  I hope she will be back.  I guess I could look for her in our other genre. 🤓Back soon!
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

phil dominy

phil
« Reply #724 on: June 05, 2017, 08:04:01 PM »
hello I am phil dominy age 65 a veteran i read and study astronomy, philosophy. latin will be useful to me so that I might read tacitus, seneca, ovid , cicero in their original language. the books that i like most are: the karamozov brothers, crime and punishment, the glass bead game,and of course the lord of the rings trilogy.

Frybabe

« Reply #725 on: June 06, 2017, 06:49:59 AM »
Welcome, Phil.

I've been doing Latin here for quite a few years now and have, for the most part, been enjoying it. This year my section worked on Pliny the Younger's letters. What a delight.

While you are waiting for the next enrollment session. We would love it if you checked out some of our discussion groups. The Library is our main generic discussion group. The Classics Forum is always open to everyone, not just Latin students. We often post things of interest we find regarding Greek and Roman (mostly) finds and history.

I tried reading Crime and Punishment when in my teens. I didn't get too far. Thanks for reminding me about The Glass Bead Game. It is a title I ran across a few years ago and then forgot about before it got onto my TBR list. I shall have to do that now, before I forget again.

Frybabe

« Reply #726 on: June 06, 2017, 07:25:33 AM »
I almost forgot, Phil. If you liked the Lord of the Rings series, I hope you get a chance to read The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrun. Tolkien was fascinated by the great Northern legends which inspired him to write his own Ring series. If you haven't read The Nibelungenlied (mine is the Dover Thrift Edition translated by D. G. Mowatt) or seen Wagner's Ring Cycle opera, I highly recommend them.

The Shilmarillion eluded me. I had the book, didn't read it, and now it is gone. Shame on me.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #727 on: June 06, 2017, 06:21:09 PM »
Phil....
I do the enrollment for the Latin classes, and I'll add your name to the list to be notified when enrollment opens in mid July.

I will also be sending you an email with info about the Latin classes.  Be on the lookout for an email from janeiowaLatin@gmail.com

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #728 on: June 07, 2017, 11:50:02 AM »
Welcome, Phil,

I'm another LOTR fan.  Tolkien had a much better feel for what makes a good myth than any of his imitators.  Frybabe, you got farther than I did with the Niebelungenlied (mine is the Penguin edition, A. T. Hatto, translator) but I'll get back to it sometime.  Sigurd and Gudrun will have to wait it's turn; I don't like to read anything that shifts the original story until I have a firm background so I know what's been changed.

We read some of Ovid in translation here, and I'd love to be able to read the original.  One translator pointed out some nifty poetic tricks that are easy to do in Latin, but mostly not translatable.

Do come into any of the discussions here that appeal to you; everyone is welcome.

Celestial

« Reply #729 on: August 21, 2017, 01:41:26 PM »
Hello, I'm Celestial and I am hoping that I can catch up and learn how to use this so that I can join the 2017 Autumn Latin class. 

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #730 on: August 21, 2017, 03:27:23 PM »
Hi, Celestial...
We'll be delighted to have you join our Fall Latin class.  We are in the final weeks of enrolling people, so please go to our enrollment area and get yourself enrolled.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/ZTSGX7F

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #731 on: August 21, 2017, 04:57:17 PM »
Welcome, Celestial.  While you're waiting to start Latin, do familiarize yourself with the site by looking around.  We have a number of discussions, and everyone is free to join in.

Bobbygail

Reading, Writing and Researching keeps me out of trouble
« Reply #732 on: August 24, 2017, 09:27:01 PM »
My dear husband's health is keeping me closer to home, so I am hopeful that I can fill some of my caretaking time with things I love to do most - read, write and ....well, I don't know that I'll be researching here but who knows?

I'm 82, a retired Secretary, ending my career as an Administrative Secretary at The Salvation Army's Adult Rehab Center in Anaheim, CA.  I am still an active genealogist, researching online as I can and sad to give up the research trips to Salt Lake City.  I write -- blogging for a while and then wrapping up all my research finds for my kids, who of course aren't interested!  I read -- most everything except romance novels, westerns and I thought SciFi until I read "The Sparrow" and discovered I loved it after all!  I also love both novels and non-fiction.  A small book club I'm in at the library is taking up "Widow for a Year" this month.

Look forward to "meeting" all of you. 

Jonathan

« Reply #733 on: August 25, 2017, 04:54:04 PM »
Welcome aboard, Bobbygail. Congratulations, on what your 3R's are doing for you. You'll find plenty of scope to practice all three among these great people That's been my experience for the last 20 years. And may your husband be restored to good health.

ElliotMartin

« Reply #734 on: September 01, 2017, 05:48:22 PM »
I am a retired MD almost 77 years of age.  I am looking forward to the study of subjects that were set aside whilst I studied the required medical curriculum.  At one time I spoke and read French with a small modicum of expertise and recentlyundertook to teach myself German using the Pimsleur Tapes and other aural/oral methods. Seeing several of my Grandsons learning Latin and reading Caesar and Cicero made me want to access the works of historical figures in the native language in which they wrote. Hence, Latin 101!

As is the case with many of us, I read what interests me at the moment.  Currently I am reading some of the novels of Henry James.  I am also an avid photographer who has forsaken the analog workflow for digital imaging and Photoshop.

I am a veteran of The United States Air Force and have been blessed with 5 children and 9 grandchildren.

Elliot

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #735 on: September 01, 2017, 06:22:50 PM »
Hi, Elliot....I hope you got my email with your class link and you now know how to come in and post.  It'll be just like this in the Orientation and the Class with Ginny.

Good job!

Frybabe

« Reply #736 on: September 02, 2017, 08:27:19 AM »
Welcome, Eliot. I read your post with interest. Your career and mention of learning some French and German, for some reason, reminded me of my college days and my foray into the Milton S. Hershey Medical Center library. It encompassed several floors and included original volumes in French and German of early physicians and researchers in psychology, psychotherapy, and much more.

My last session in Latin ended in the middle of reading the letters of Pliny the Younger. Of all the readings so far, Pliny's Letters excited me the most with Caesar a close second. In fact, I hated leaving Pliny for the summer so much that I continued to translate until two weeks ago. I plan on going back over some of the sentence structure and grammar before continue my reading.

Petrus

« Reply #737 on: September 03, 2017, 12:28:02 PM »
Hello all! My name is Peter, I live in Denver, CO with my wife Laurie, our 16 year old daughter Rose, and our little yellow lab, Katy. We also have a 22 year old son who is currently in Afghanistan with the 1st Armored Division, 36th Infantry. We're looking forward to his homecoming this month or next (they won't give us a definitive date). He's been there since last January and this past year has been very stressful.

I'm 57 years old and I teach middle school STEM, or Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math, and love my job and the kids. Middle schoolers are the funnest age group. I'm also an avid hiker, kayaker, winter camper, reader, and amatuer bird-watcher, paleontologist, astronomer, and botanist.

I'm really looking forward to this class. Learning Latin has been a lifelong goal of mine but I could never find a class for it. I'm old enough to remember the Latin during masses as a child, and my Irish grandmother never accepting anything but that, continuing to use Latin during mass even though the priest was leading prayers in english. The words sounded beautiful flowing from her and I would be transfixed listening to her. I took two years of French in high school and another years later in college. I can read some French, but cannot speak it and the speakers are too fast for me to understand. Still, it's amazing how it sticks with you.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #738 on: September 03, 2017, 12:30:31 PM »
Hi, Petrus!

I'm looking forward to meeting you in our Latin Orientation area on Tuesday.  I simply can't imagine your stress level in having a son in Afghanistan.  We all will pray for his safe return to you and are so thankful for young men and women who are serving us daily in those dangerous places.

jane

Umanuke

« Reply #739 on: September 04, 2017, 06:22:13 PM »
Greetings,

My name is Ellen and I live in Georgia. I am 65 years, currently work as Human Resources professional and will be retiring in three months.  I have always been fascinated by Roman History and Latin, having studied the language for six years in high school and college. I am thrilled to be able to pursue my interest once again. 

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #740 on: September 04, 2017, 06:55:39 PM »
Looking forward to seeing you in our Orientation, Umanuke!  I'm going to be working on it now and will open it later tonight as we may have possible storms here and who knows what that means to the power and internet.

jane

Leseur

• ~
« Reply #741 on: September 04, 2017, 07:18:29 PM »
Hello to all! My name is Regina and I live in south Florida with my husband and mother-in-law.  I work in the field of radiation oncology as a medical dosimetrist.  Learning Latin has been a goal of mine for the last few years.  I have dabbled a bit trying to learn on my own, but found it difficult to do by myself.  I am excited to have discovered Senior Learn and can't wait to get started.  I am also praying that Hurricane Irma doesn't hit Florida and I lose power and internet on the first day of the class :).
Regina

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #742 on: September 04, 2017, 07:23:25 PM »
I have storms also just forecast for here tonight and overnight, so I'm opening the Orientation early.  You'll be getting an email about it as soon as I've posted this.

:0)

Ausarru

« Reply #743 on: September 05, 2017, 11:42:58 AM »
Greetings to all, I'm just eager to start learning....where is this Orientation I can't find it.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #744 on: September 05, 2017, 01:35:53 PM »
Hi, Ausarru,
 I just received your enrollment for Latin 101.  It'll take me a few minutes to get you on a Latin 101 daytime class access list.

I will email you that link as soon as I have that finished.  I will also email you when your PayPal payment comes through.

Welcome!

NPratt

« Reply #745 on: September 05, 2017, 03:19:00 PM »
Hi, everyone! My name is Nancy; I live outside of Boston where I recently retired as a career counselor to graduate students. I am a definite francophile; my grandchildren see pictures of  the Eiffel Tower and say" That's Grammy's favorite city!"

I am inspired to "relearn" the Latin that I studied for 4 years in high school so I can assist my granddaughter who is starting 7th grade tomorrow at the prestigious public Boston Latin School. It is known for its rigorous curriculum and I know that I won't be able to help her with math and I don't believe any of the other grandparents took Latin!

Looking forward to this new experience!

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #746 on: September 05, 2017, 03:22:58 PM »
Hi, Nancy...
I hope you received my email with a link to the area where you need to post in your Orientation Room.  I look forward to seeing you there.  If you need the link again, please email me at

janeiowalatin@gmail.com

youetb

« Reply #747 on: September 05, 2017, 03:28:35 PM »
Hello All.

youetb

« Reply #748 on: September 05, 2017, 03:36:44 PM »
Hello again,
I am very excited to have found this site.  My name is Nancy and I live in California.  I am a retired RN.  My loves are reading , learning, traveling and of course the beach.. I have been interested in relearning Latin and recently started a self study workbook but want to join the Latin 101 class.  I realize sadly that enrollment is closed for this year.   :(
Looking forward to meeting many of you in person and on line.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #749 on: September 05, 2017, 04:30:05 PM »
Nancy...the Orientation just opened today, so if you're willing to catch up, I will get the enrollment information to you via email.  Look for an email from janeiowaLatin@gmail.com

newsboy44

« Reply #750 on: September 06, 2017, 07:40:39 PM »
Newsboy44
My name is Bill.  I am 73 years old.  I am an amateur radio operator, an amateur Latinist, and a retired actuary.  That is a geek hat trick. 

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #751 on: September 06, 2017, 07:50:57 PM »
Hi, Newsboy....good to see you here, and I hope you'll come down and catch up with the Orientation and assignments I've given there.  I hope you have your link to your class. 

If you don't, go down to the bottom of this page, click on the JUMP TO and click the arrow to put Latin 101-11I in the window and click on go

jelizondo

• ^
  • Sapere aude - Dare to know
« Reply #752 on: September 07, 2017, 08:04:04 AM »
Hello Everyone!  I wasn't on the computer much yesterday, so I am catching up today!  I loved reading all of your posts and look forward to classes with all of you in the coming weeks and months!

I am retired, although I hate to use that word because it seems like I am busier than I was while working.  I spent most of my working life as a legal secretary with attorneys all around and some assigned to me.  At one time, I worked for four (4) attorneys and one (1) legal assistant/research paralegal.  I always wanted to be an attorney, but decided to get married and have a family instead.  Back when I was young, you mostly did one or the other. 

My education in law came through discussing and being with attorneys for most of my work day, so finally, back in 2003, I  took online classes to become a paralegal.  I retired from the Illinois Attorney General's Office in 2011, and although my title was still Legal Secretary, I was performing the duties of a paralegal or legal assistant almost from the onset of my hire date in 1988.  I worked in Consumer Fraud, Franchise and finally in Disability Right's Bureaus of the AGO. 

I do not regret much I have or haven't done in this lifetime, however I do wish I had gone back to school and become an attorney, as I love the law and the many Latin terms that are invoked in/by our laws.  I am enamored by Latin and I do love words and strive to use the perfect word in any given situation!

I look forward to studying Latin with all of you!   :)  Julie
"In absentia lucis, tenebrae vincunt."
"In the absence of light, darkness prevails."

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #753 on: September 07, 2017, 10:57:53 AM »
Julie....You need to post this IN your Latin Orientation class so your classmates can see it.  Right now you're out in the public part of our website.

Go to your bookmark:  http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?board=237.0

and you'll see the Orientation Room.

jane

GHOP

« Reply #754 on: September 08, 2017, 04:09:07 PM »
I am a retired English/journalism teacher from North Little Rock, AR. Since I retired in 2005, I have had more time to read than ever before, and I have been reading classics. I have five grandchildren, and I often get ideas about which books to read from looking at their reading assignments. So many of the classics they are assigned to read were not even written when I studied literature in college. Some of the best ones I have read recently are Night, Cry, the Beloved Country, War and Peace, and Les Miserables. Last year one of my grandsons, a junior at the time, was struggling with his Latin course. His school required two years of a foreign language, and for his first year, there was a teacher. For the second year, there was no teacher, and the students were taught online. He did not enjoy this at all, and I began helping him. I bought a Latin for Dummies book and managed to learn enough to help him get through it, but when we came to verb tenses, I was lost. That's when I decided to take a Latin course and found this class while searching the internet.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #755 on: September 08, 2017, 04:12:28 PM »
As you have time, GHOP, do look around this part of the SeniorLearn site...I bet you'll find some literature discussions of interest.

I think you're going to really enjoy your Latin class...and you'll get those verbs sorted out eventually.

jane

nlhome

« Reply #756 on: September 08, 2017, 07:12:07 PM »
I am really impressed by the number of people who are interested in the Latin classes and their reasons. It's fascinating. When I started high school, Latin was still offered as a language, but I opted for German. Sometimes I wish I had done otherwise - but now my son has moved to Germany for a few years, so I guess I made the right choice.

Anyway, welcome to all the new folks. I hope you explore the rest of this site.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #757 on: September 08, 2017, 09:00:06 PM »
Yes, aren't they impressive? The old and the new students. We have at present right at 140 students, and we are delighted to have each and every one. LOTS of them are readers, so hopefully they will want to join in to the public book discussions too.

Welcome, ALL!

lcubed

• +
« Reply #758 on: September 19, 2017, 04:18:09 PM »
I am 66 and wish I had retained any of the four years of Latin I took in high school but unfortunately I didn't use it so I lost it.  I am retired now and am looking for ways to keep my neurons firing. 

Linda

Linda Lavin Leska

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #759 on: September 19, 2017, 06:17:54 PM »
Hi, Linda...
I'm sorry you didn't find us before our enrollment for this year ended.

I'll be glad to add you to the notification list to let you know when enrollment opens again next July for Sept. 2018 classes.

jane