Author Topic: Introductions...Please click here and tell us about YOU!  (Read 109537 times)

Fiattoday

Re: Introductions...Please click here and tell us about YOU!
« Reply #760 on: November 14, 2017, 12:17:16 AM »
Hello I am so excited I found this site it is just what I needed. I'm a 58 year old retired prison guard with lots of time on my hand besides running around picking up grand kids to and from school. I'm also a cradle catholic who remembers mass being celebrated in Latin. I have been attending Latin mass as often as I can but I'm still having difficulty learning it that is how I stumbled upon this site. I want to learn Latin so I won't have to use booklet during mass and can just listen and enjoy the beautiful word being prayed. Any advice from you is greatly appreciated

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #761 on: November 14, 2017, 08:28:44 AM »
Hi, Fiattoday...
Welcome to SeniorLearn.  I will add you to my list to be notified when enrollment for Latin reopens next summer.  That email will come from janeiowaLatin@gmail.com

This year's classes are well underway.  I assume you’ve seen and read about our classes here.

http://www.seniorlearn.org/classics/courses/descriptions.html

In the meantime, look around our site and join in any of the discussions you see.

You can email me at the above email address if you have any questions about the Latin classes.  Please note that these are classes in Classic Latin, not Ecclesiastical Latin.

Jane

Jonathan

« Reply #762 on: November 15, 2017, 09:24:25 PM »
Welcome to SeniorLearn,  Fiattoday. Your strong feelings about the Catholic Latin Mass caught my imagination and brought back a curious memory. Four hundred years ago Henry of Navarre was offered the Crown of France if he would convert to Catholicism. Why not, he said, 'the Crown is worth a Mass'. And now you've turned it around by implying that a Mass is worth the Latin. God bless you.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Life is finding the magic that makes our soul soar
    • Two Sisters and a Hound!
« Reply #763 on: December 01, 2017, 03:56:02 AM »
Goodness hardly ever come into this discussion and just in time to say Hay to Fiattoday - as Jane said, scoot around the various discussions - why not visit with us in the Library - this month we are doing something for the holidays so that during December the Library is featuring some topics of conversation that change every few days ihn addition to sharing books we are reading - come on in and share your two cents - folks will be glad to meet you.

As to the Latin Mass - yes, I miss it also - Like many, I too wish Vatican II had deliberated on other changes rather than change the Mass - ah so - Tip, I remember from my Catholic High School Latin classes the Latin used in the Church is a bit different then political, legal and classic Latin - In Ecclesiastical Latin the sounds are softened, closer to Italian.

Here is the Amazon link to a fairly comprehensive prayer book that includes the prayers said at Mass in both Latin and English - reading some of the prayers may bring back from your buried memory the Latin you said years ago and the Book's format will allow you to see the direct translation.

https://www.amazon.com/Pray-Latin-English-Louis-Pizzuti/dp/1449518214/ref=pd_bxgy_14_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=0K92VFHPGTZR42NXVY3C

pucci43

« Reply #764 on: December 05, 2017, 12:39:45 PM »
Salve !  Hi I'm Richard, 64 yrs young :). Studied Latin for two yrs. in high school, and remember very little; therefore, I'm looking forward to the 2018 up coming class. Also will be nice to meet new people who are also interested in Latin. I too enjoy the Latin mass selections on YouTube.  I believe my new interest in Latin arose from watching the BBC show "Father Brown"....you may want to check the show out sometime.    RP

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #765 on: December 05, 2017, 04:11:51 PM »
Hi, Richard,

You are doing a great job getting yourself familiar with the website.  That will be a big help to you when classes begin next fall.

jane

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #766 on: December 09, 2017, 11:16:23 AM »
Richard, I have to say I saw your notice about Father Brown and am a like fan. We are discussing him (some of us, every chance we get hahaha) in the PBS discussions here.  You may already know there is to be a new Season 6 in 2018 which will begin with a Christmas special this Christmas, and I hope our US PBS stations will show it, like they did the one last year.

Glad to have you aboard next year!

jeremiah001

« Reply #767 on: December 11, 2017, 04:20:01 AM »

Share your  personal photos with us here

Graphics and photos are welcomed here in Introductions only. We ask you to limit the size to 500 pixels on the longest side and to 100 KB in file size.

If you need a place to store your photo for posting  you might like to use this free site http://photobucket.com/

If you do not have PSP or other software for sizing and compressing your photos you might like to use http://www.shrinkpictures.com/ this is also a free site.

Hello, my name is Timothy. I am a sixty year old retiree who always wanted to learn latin. It was a great surprise discovering seniorlearn and it's latin offering. I look forwarded to starting what I know will be a rewarding experience.

Tim.

Frybabe

« Reply #768 on: December 11, 2017, 05:45:27 AM »
Welcome, Jeremiah001.

I hope you will join in some of the discussions http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php  while you wait for info on the next Latin classes. Jane should be along in a while with info and links.

BTW, the Classics Forum discussion is open to everyone, so check that out. Now and again someone posts interesting photos and articles having to do with ancient history, historical sites, and current archaeological finds, mostly Roman, but there are others.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #769 on: December 11, 2017, 05:30:12 PM »
Hello, my name is Timothy. I am a sixty year old retiree who always wanted to learn latin. It was a great surprise discovering seniorlearn and it's latin offering. I look forwarded to starting what I know will be a rewarding experience.

Tim.

Hi, Tim...username:  jeremiah001

I will email you with information about the next classes which will begin in Sept. 2018.  Enrollment will begin in mid summer of 2018.  Please look for an email from janeiowaLatin@gmail.com

jane