Author Topic: Emma~ Jane Austen ~ March - April Book Club Online  (Read 61431 times)

BooksAdmin

• TopicManager
Emma~ Jane Austen ~ March - April Book Club Online
« on: February 14, 2015, 09:39:49 AM »
The Book Club Online is  the oldest  book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and  enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  Everyone is welcome.

March/April Book Club Online

Emma
by Jane Austen

"I am going to take a heroine whom no one but myself will much like”  Jane Austen of Emma.

Will you like her, the heroine who Austen claimed was most like herself, and who inspired a movie called "Clueless"? If not, there's lots more to like in this classic novel of love, misdirection, and social class.

Schedule
March 1-7       Chapters 1-7

QUESTIONS CHAPTERS 1 TO 7

1. Austen's plots revolve around a flaw in her heroine's character that she must recognize and resolve before she can be happy. What is Emma's flaw? What factors in her position, upbringing, and character contribute to this flaw and her lack of awareness of it?

2. Female friendships are important to Austen's heroines (as they were to her). How does Emma cope with the "loss" of her friend to marriage? Why does she chose to do that? What other choices might she have? What factors limit her choices?

3. Why does Mr. Knightley think the friendship with Harriet is bad for Emma? Do you agree? Is it good or bad for Harriet?

4. What picture does Austen paint of village life and the people in it? Would you have enjoyed living there? Why or why not?

5. What does the scene where Emma and Harriet read Mr. Martin's letter tell us about the character of the three people? how does Austen show us things without telling us?

JoanK

• BooksDL
Re: EMMA ~ Jane Austen ~ PREDISCUSSION
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 01:13:20 PM »
Come join us in the wonderful world of Jane Austen, the "cameo" on which she writes. If you've been here before, you know what delights await you of humor, subtle characterization, and the small truths of life. If this will be your first visit, I envy you -- you may find yourself falling in love as I have.

In Emma, Austen does what she said an author should do: take a few families in a small town and see how their lives intertwine. You will recognize at least one of her characters as someone you've known for years and now know better, thanks to this woman who lived 200 years ago.

And at the center of the complicated dance she weaves is Emma, who someone called her most infuriating heroine, yet at the end, her most endearing. As The Guardian says she teaches us "that self-knowledge is a mystery, vanity the source of the worst pain." 

Are you ready?

Jonathan

Re: Emma~ Jane Austen ~ Prediscussion ~ March - April Book Club Online
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 03:43:14 PM »
Of course I'm ready. Everybody reads Jane Austin. Even Alfred Tennyson, as I've just discovered. He was visiting Lyme Regis. The stone pier, called the Cobb, was pointed out to him as the place where the Duke of Monmouth landed to raise the rebellion against James II which was crushed at Sedgemoor. "Don't talk to me of the Duke of Monmouth', said Tennyson. "Show me the exact spot where Louisa Musgrove fell and was taken up lifeless" (Literary Britain: A Reader's Guide, p195

Everyone must remember that from a recent discussion here.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 01:07:55 PM »
This Austen nut wouldn't stay away for anything.  Every time I reread one of her books, I discover something new, or see things a bit differently.  Can't wait to see what happens this time.

bluebird24

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 02:11:37 PM »
I never read her. This is new. Will we start march 1?

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2015, 03:40:26 PM »
JONATHAN: how funny. Then he would be pleased we're following him with Austen. And I'm pleased you're coming with us.

PAT: YEAH, my other half is here.

And BLUEBIRD: WELCOME! WELCOME! I'll try to explain any strange customs or phrases that come up , but please ask if you find anything confusing.

Yes, we're starting March 1 if we get enough participants. Time to get your copy. But there is a link in the heading to the text, if you have any problems with that. (I know I have two copies, and can't find either of them!)

bellamarie

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 08:00:21 PM »
Oh my goodness!  I could not be any happier to be reading Emma, with the group.  I adore Jane Austen.  I fell in love with Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth Bennett in Pride & Prejudice, and had to continue with Sense and Sensibility, Persuasion, and Mansfield Park.  So I am delighted Emma is our March discussion.  Save a place at the table for me, and I will bring the tea!

I bought a very large book of Jane Austen's work years ago, so I already have Emma in this book.
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 04:35:08 PM »
GREAT, BELLAMARIE. You bring the tea, and I'll bring the crumpets.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 05:31:54 PM »
One good thing, probably no one will face a waiting list at the library. ;) 

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 08:39:07 AM »
How about Cream Tea and Crumpets?  I'll bring the Cream! I have also never read Austen but did enjoy the movies of "Pride and Prejudice" and "Sense and Sensibility".  I think those are the correct Austen movie titles. Will wait to get my book at the library.
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

bellamarie

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2015, 09:53:13 AM »
JoanK.,  Crumpets!  Yum!!  Today is of course Fat Tuesday so I enjoyed a Paczki filled with custard for breakfast.  Oh so good.  I have to admit I am Italian and never understood the craze for Paczis, until I moved to Toledo, Ohio which is a city that raves for them.  Cannolis, are more to my taste.  Now what about crumpets?  What exactly is a crumpet made of?  Is it more of a hard shell pastry?  This curious mind, will have to go on a Google search.  I must say I am up for, anything sweet and made with dough.

Annie, I never drink tea without cream, so now we are all set.  I can't wait for March!

Ah ha!   Found it!  

crum·pet
ˈkrəmpət
noun
a thick, flat, savory cake with a soft, porous texture, made from a yeast mixture cooked on a griddle and eaten toasted and buttered.

Paczki
Pączki are deep-fried pieces of dough shaped into flattened spheres and filled with confiture or other sweet filling. Pączki are usually covered with powdered sugar, icing or bits of dried orange zest. A small amount of grain alcohol (traditionally, Spiritus) is added to the dough before cooking; as it evaporates, it prevents the absorption of oil deep into the dough

Cannoli
can·no·li
kəˈnōlē/
nounNORTH AMERICAN
Italian pastries in the form of hard tubular shells filled with sweetened ricotta cheese and often containing nuts, citron, or chocolate bits.

Oh my, I am hungry just looking at these yummy pastries!
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2015, 03:07:45 PM »
ANNIE: YEAH! You AND a cream tea for the discussion! What could be better!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but cream tea is different from tea with cream. "Tea" is a meal in England, served in the late afternoon. It consists of tea, little sandwiches, and pastries. If the offerings include Devonshire Cream (a concoction somewhere between whipped cram and yogurt), it's a "cream tea."

Do I have that right, ANNIE? I've been to two, and they were MAHVELOUS!!

BELLAMARIE: great pictures! I've had crumpets and cannoli (yum!) but paczki are new to me. Are they good?

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2015, 03:22:02 PM »
OH NO! I forgot about Lent! Should I keep my mouth shut about food?

bellamarie

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2015, 07:18:08 PM »
JoanK.,  Now that is interesting, "cream tea" is different than having cream in your tea.  Yes, the paczki I had was very good today.  It was filled with custard.  I introduced them to my two granddaughters when they came in from school today.  One liked the red raspberry filled one and the other did not.  I will take a cannoli any day, over the paczki.  The crumpet looks a bit like a bagel.  I love bagels!   Too late to not mention food....... 

bluebird24

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2015, 05:19:48 PM »
JoanK, thank you. I want to learn Jane Austen.

Here is Emma found online
http://mollands.net/etexts/emma/index.html

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2015, 07:41:02 PM »
JoanK, I'll have the book by March lst, I have never been a Jane Austen reader.  I'll be here reading the posts and hopefully, will have a remark or two; it's hard for me to be completely silent, as you know.

OH, WOW, BELLE!  I'll take one of each.  With our terrible weather I have not been able to get to the grocery or Panera's or any place where I can get such delightful pastries.  I'm better off actually, may lose a pound or two and certainly need to.  I'll never starve, we have two restaurants in the retirement center where I live.

Not long ago a delightful little pastry shop opened in our "Short North District" of Columbus, a district that attempts to retain the old look.  We visited and bought a couple of wonderful looking "whatevers."  But for some readon they just were not what I expected them to be, I was disappointed.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2015, 07:45:54 PM »
Cream Tea means  having crumpets with clotted cream on them and good old English tea.  Clotted cream is a cross between ice cream and butter with the consistency of soft cream cheese.
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

hullwmr

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2015, 06:55:29 AM »
I'm a Latin student with Senior Learn and have an interest in joining the discussion of Emma.  I do have a question about the structure of the course.   Is there a reading assignment each week that will be discussed and does the leader guiide the discussion?  Thanks,   William Hull

bellamarie

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2015, 10:01:38 AM »
Welcome, William Hull!   We usually have a certain amount of chapters we read each week.  Our moderator will post it in the heading, and there are lead questions.  We all pretty much just discuss the chapters, and the moderator tries to keep us on course, and time frame.  Please join us, we have the most delightful discussions.  It would be great having a man's point of view.  I am a huge Austen fan, so I have to contain my excitement.  

Annie
Cream Tea means  having crumpets with clotted cream on them and good old English tea.  Clotted cream is a cross between ice cream and butter with the consistency of soft cream cheese.

Thank you for the clarification of Cream Tea.  Sounds yummy!

hullwmr

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2015, 10:26:08 AM »
Your enthusiasm is contagious!  I will join and be mainly a listener to start with. 

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2015, 10:57:20 AM »
Have you read Austen before, or is she a new author for you?

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2015, 11:08:40 AM »
It would be great having a man's point of view.
Hey, there's Jonathan too.  The more the merrier.

bellamarie

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2015, 02:59:13 PM »
Oh PatH.,  Who could forget our dear Jonathan.  Is he going to be joining us with Emma?  That would be great!

William, lurk, listen and jump in when you are ready. 

The first Jane Austen book I read was Sense and Sensibility.  I do declare, it took me a while to catch on to the old English way of speaking.  Like I told me friend who is also an Austen fan, Miss Austen uses fifty words when I could easily condense it down to ten.  But now that I am familiar with her writing style and voice, it is fun for me.  She allows us to get to know her characters in her books, and I feel as if I am right there in the room, a part of the friend and family group.  My next read of hers was, Pride & Prejudice, and after reading that, I was a goner.  She is now my most favorite author of all time!  

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2015, 03:57:48 PM »
HULLWMR: WELCOME WELCOME! Hope you enjoy both the book and our discussion format. Yes, we start the formal discussion march 1st, and I post at the beginning of the week how far we'll read that week. We post discussion questions just to "stir the pot." Ignore them or use them to stimulate ideas, whichever.

Participate as much or as little as you want. No rules, except of course courtesy. And if you read ahead, don't post spoilers.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2015, 01:36:25 AM »
Looks like that little furry guy in Pennsylvania's prediction about winter is spot on - we are scheduled for at least 2 more northers and maybe 3 and what better way to hole up than with Jane Austin - my new this year's flannel Pjs have really been broken in - hard to get out of them on a cold morning - a big corduroy shirt has been taking the place of a robe so that I feel less like I am really as lazy as I've been even if I am cozy warm.

How perfect to do Emma - it was first published in 1815 and here we are at 2015 - it will be fun to read the differences in 200 years. Seems to me they did not have robes yet and women used shawls however, I doubt they stayed all morning in their nightgowns regardless if made of flannel and cozy warm. I wonder now - hmm have to look it up if flannel was available or if it was rather a Linsey woolsey cloth.

ah ha - found it - "Flannel has been made since the 17th century, gradually replacing the older Welsh plains, some of which were finished as "cottons" or friezes, which was the local textile product. In the 19th century, flannel was made particularly in towns such as Newtown, Montgomeryshire, Hay on Wye, and Llanidloes."

And the flannel shirt is not that old, certainly not around for Jane Austen - "Carhartt (the clothing company) claim their founder invented the flannel shirt in 1889." However, another article says that during the late eighteenth century and early nineteenth century in Britain and Wales flannel was popular for women's undergarments and men's riding breaches and spats.

Well if Jane had flannel undergarments I too would hurry and dress in order to stay warm and cozy from the chilling drafts by wearing my flannel undies.  
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2015, 03:41:09 PM »
BARB: I LOVE IT! From now on, I will imagine all of Austen's characters terribly elegant on top, and with their flannel undies on underneath (red, of course!).

Welcome to Austen and a flannel robe in front of the fire!

bellamarie

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2015, 09:09:13 AM »
Flannel undies!  As Shirley Temple would say, "Oh my word!."  

So here we are two hundred years later, reading Emma.  My hubby and I were just watching Kevin Costner on the Ellen Degeneres show the other day, and Costner said he hopes his new movie Black and White will be one that they withstand the test of times.  I told my hubby, there are not too many books or movies written in the past decade that I feel will stand the test of times.  So many are just not memorable, they are a lot of fluff and forgotten easily.  So I ask....

What is it that makes books, movies, music, or authors for that matter stand the test of time?

My guess personally is, it has to reach a really emotional spot in people's lives.  Like leaving footprints on the soul that yearns to see it, read it, hear it, and feel it again and again.  Be it because it brings a smile to your face, or tears to your eyes, or maybe just a peaceful feeling of home, love, comfort or wanderlust.  

Many books, movies, songs and people have done this for me, and when I think of them, I just remember that first time I read it, saw it, heard it and felt it, and it puts a warmth in me that says, this will last forever.  Jane Austen is one author who has truly left that footprint on my soul.  

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2015, 11:32:53 AM »
That's a good point, Bellamarie.  Everybody, have you read any book written in the last ten years that you think will stand the test of time?

Halcyon

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2015, 01:14:15 PM »
I've never read Jane Austen nor have I seen any of the movies.  Always thought I would be bored but after reading all your comments I'll give it a try.  First book, Boys in the Boat, I read too fast.  With Emma I'll try to stay with the schedule so I can participate in the discussion.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2015, 05:07:05 PM »
WELCOME, WELCOME HALCYON! I'll try to see you aren't bored!

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2015, 01:30:36 PM »
The discussion starts March 1st (Sunday). the first week, We'll read chapters 1 through 7. let me know if this is too long or short for you (it's 34 pages in my book).

Those of us who don't read many English novels are sometimes put off by different uses of words or customs. If you encounter any that puzzle you, post them here. I have sources that explain most of them.

Two struck me on reading. Austen talks about "understanding" and "powers" where we would use the words "intelligence" and "ability." (When she introduces a character, she always tells us how intelligent they are or aren't. It becomes part of the plot, as when "Emma is spoiled because she's the cleverest in the family").

And the snobbishness. Emma, a lady (daughter of a gentleman) can't be friends with a farmers wife because a farmer is not a gentleman (i.e. someone who is either too rich to need to work, or is in one of the few professions considered suitable for a gentleman (the military, law, the clergy). She is a snob, but she is also probably right. This was the rule at the time: if she had flaunted it, her reputation in this gossipy town would suffer, and for a woman, reputation is everything. Mr. Knightly, a gentleman, can be friends with the farmer, but men had more freedom than women.

bellamarie

« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2015, 02:53:37 PM »
Just a bit of a tip for those who are not familiar with Austen's writing, she introduces many characters in her first chapters.  I always have a notepad and pen with me, and jot the characters down, and how they are related, and what their career is.  I glance back at my list of characters from time to time, until I finally feel I know who they are and how they fit in.  If any of you watch Downton Abbey, vision the setting of Downton, and it helps visually with places in this story. 

JoanK., that is a very good analysis of Emma's character and way of speaking.  It seems the English who were of a certain social status and income, have always been portrayed to be snobs. As you read on, you will see the more caring and thoughtful ways of Emma.  So, my suggestion to the newcomers is, bear with Austen/Emma.  You won't regret it, I have yet to be disappointed with Austen. 

JoanK., I think reading chapters 1-7 is a bit short, but then I have no idea where the storyline goes, or how you want to divide the chapters as for our timeline for March.  We could see how the discussion goes, and if it seems we need to go further on, we always can do that.  With the introduction of characters, places and events, it may be better to keep it short.  I am up for anything!

Halcyon

« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2015, 04:08:04 PM »
Bellamarie  Thanks for the suggestion of jotting down the names of the characters.  It is rather annoying to keep flipping back to remember who's who.

JoanK  With your questions and insight moving us along I'm sure I'll stay interested.

I recently read that Emma is one of the top 100 novels of all time. 

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2015, 01:54:10 PM »
Started to read the online version - thanks JoanK now I do not have to dig out my copy that includes all the books written by Jane Austen I can simply hit the link in the heading - anyhow I can hardly contain myself as right off the bat I see things I cannot remember seeing in past readings - my head picture of women wearing the flimsy dresses of 1815 is difficult right now with all this cold weather but I have to remember underneath was flannel and over the shoulders were warm shawls and a cup of hot tea was at their beck and call - the only difference I have to make is I have pulled out buried in my sock drawer a pair of thick wool socks that I have slipped over some houseshoes while sitting here reading and writing. Oh yes, and I have coffee rather than tea  :)
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2015, 03:36:46 PM »
BELLAMARIE: what a good suggestion! Especially now I'm older, I find myself more and more often saying "who is he again?" It's especially annoying in a mystery story, when the murderer is revealed!

yes, Emma does require patience, but you'll see, she's worth it. It's Mr. Knightley's analysis of her character, not mine.

I chose a shorter segment for those of us who are unfamiliar with Austen and the period. We can speed up later.

HALCYON: thanks. Hope you're right.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2015, 03:29:35 PM »
Wonderful questions, JK!  I have in my hands a beautiful copy of the book; it was a tribute gift to the library and is hardbound with an aqua cover on which are lovely white chairs with striped seats.  

Before Chapter I is a Chronology of Jane Austen's life and the major events happening in Europe at the time,  followed by about 12 pages of Introduction, Notes to the Introduction, Further Reading and one page of Note on Text.

Then comes the majestic dedication:

TO  HIS ROYAL HIGHNESS, THE PRINCE REGENT, THIS WORK IS, BY HIS ROYAL HIGHNESS'S PERMISSION, MOST RESPECTFULLY DEDICATED, BY HIS ROYAL HIGHNESS'S  DUTIFUL AND OBEDIENT HUMBLE SERVANT, THE AUTHOR.

I've peeked in the first two chapters, just one tidbit that needs clarification - Emma's father has been a "valetudinarian" all his life - ?????  Not "just one" - let's say many more

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2015, 04:37:19 PM »
ELLA IS IN EMMA! YEAH!

Valetudinarian is what we would call a hypochondriac. He's always fussing about his health and is afraid of going anywhere.

I noticed another one. "Consequence" means rank. Emma's family is of the highest rank in the town. This is important, because it limits Emma's opportunities to make friends and meet eligible young men. Normally in such a family, the mother would arrange opportunities for her daughter to meet other young people of suitable "consequence", by spending part of the year in someplace "fashionable", (London or a fashionable resort). Her father could easily do so, since there is family in London she could stay with. But he's too selfish and busy worrying about his health to think of Emma's future.

So "consequence" and "Valetudinarianism" limit her to a  very narrow sphere.

Ella Gibbons

Re: Emma~ Jane Austen ~ March - April Book Club Online
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2015, 05:54:44 PM »
WOW, JK - that took some time to spell, hahahaha    Thanks for the help.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2015, 09:45:22 PM »
I didn't spell it. I copied yours and added "ism". ;)

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2015, 09:52:16 PM »
The discussion starts tomorrow (Sunday). You all will probably be on before me (with my California time, and late-waking habits). New Austenites, let me know how it's going.

Tea and crumpets on Sunday. See you there. (Mr. Woodhouse is worried about the weather and says he will stay home, but the rest of us will be there.