Author Topic: Three Cups of Tea ~ Mortenson & Relin ~ May 1st ~ Book Club Online  (Read 60112 times)

Babi

Re: Three Cups of Tea ~ Mortenson & Relin ~ May 1st ~ Book Club Online
« Reply #200 on: May 29, 2009, 08:45:08 AM »
The Book Club Online is  the oldest  book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and  enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  everyone is welcome to join in.

Three Cups of Tea
by
Greg Mortenson & David Oliver Relin

"The first time that you share tea with a Balti, you are a stranger" a villager tells our author.  "The second time, you are an honored guest.  The third time you become family." ~ Three  Cups of Tea
Three Cups of Tea is an inspirational story of one man's efforts to address poverty, educate girls, and overcome cultural divides.  This book won the 2007 Kiriyama Prize for nonfiction revealing the enormous obstacles inherent in becoming such "family." ~ Bookmarks Magazine

Three Cups of Tea -- Homepage.
Ignorance -- the Real Enemy.
Synopsis and Biography.
Readers' Guide by the Author.
K2 Mountain.
--
Discussion Schedule
  • May 1 - 7         Chapters 1 - 6
  • May 8 - 14       Chapters 7 - 12
  • May 15 - 21      Chapters 13 - 18
  • May 22 - 31      Chapters 19 - End

.1.  What made Mortenson particularly ripe for such a transformation?  Has anything similar happened in your own life?

2.  Is Mortenson someone that you would like to know, work with or have as a neighbor or friend?

3.  At the heart of the book is a powerful but simple poliical message: we each as individuals have the power to change the world, one cup of tea at a time,  etc.

Discussion Leaders: Andy(ALF43), JoanK & Pedln

We deplore the production of heroin, yet we are hesitant when we hear that it is the major, sometimes only, source of income to thousands of poor farmers.  Yet from what DOR writes, those  profits are funneled back to the warlords who use them to recruit and arm their private armies. Those who tend the crops continue to live in poverty.  Obviously the heroin production can be curbed; the Taliban demonstrated that.  What is needed is to have a viable replacement ready for these farming economies.  I’m ignorant in the field of agriculture, but surely, as Mahlia has said, there are alternatives.

Have you all been enjoying as much as I have the quotations that head each chapter?  I found this quote, from the “Warrior Song of King Cezar” that heads Ch. 23,  very beautiful.

“If wisdom and harmony still exist in this world, as other than a dream lost in an unopened book, they are hidden in our heartbeat.  And it is from our hearts that we cry out,.  We cry out and our voices are the single voice of this wounded earth.  Our cries are a great wind across the earth.”

I also read the words of Sadhar Khan, and I am struck again by the fact that men of vision-- tough, capable leaders who care for their people -- can be found anywhere in the world.  Thank God for them, and I only wish their influence extended farther.  Yes, his ‘justice’ takes horrifying forms, but that seems to be true wherever a people are forced to defend themselves, or be prepared to do so,  every day of their lives.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #201 on: May 29, 2009, 08:54:52 AM »
Anna, it sounds like you started a very positive domino effect or chain reaction, just while having lunch.  That's wonderful.  It's gratifying when others want to hear more about a book such as this.  And it's also nice when you find others who have read it, too.

I mentioned Three Cups of Tea at the bridge table the other day, and two of the other women there had also read it.  We had been talking about aging and different cultures.  One of the women works in adult education, primarily with recent immigrants wanting to learn English. She said her Asian students find it so strange  that older adults in the U.S. do not want to live with their children, nor do the children want them to.

I echo Andy’s thanks for the pertinent and helpful comments from everyone here at this discussion.  I still feel ignorant, but have also learned much.  Pakistan, and Afghanistan, now receive a much more careful eye and ear from me.  I’ve been there, these people are my family.  We’re different, but many of our desires are the same, especially when it comes to our children.

For those interested in assisting in Mortenson's work, the link to the Central Asia Institute is below, and also a brief quote from that page.

Central Asia Institute

At this time, we do not accept material goods. There is no postal system in the regions we serve. Transport of material donations - after packing, taxes, customs, shipping by jeep, donkey and porter - is very expensive and counterproductive to our limited overhead and low operational costs. We choose instead to support and thereby stimulate the local economy by purchasing the necessary school and building supplies within the region. Your monetary contribution will have greater impact.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #202 on: May 29, 2009, 09:04:24 AM »
Gosh, I look at that quote above, and the whole thing just seems so miraculous.  One man's efforts, and he's done it on a shoe string.  We used to do something in my church cirlce called "least coin," where at every meeting we would contribute the least coins in our purses, much like the "Pennies for Peace" started in his mother's school, and they would join other least coins from around the world.  I don't know why we no longer do it, as it did much for many.  I think Mortenson has shown that least coins, like the widow's mite, can go a long way in helping to change the world.

Persian

« Reply #203 on: May 29, 2009, 10:16:26 AM »
PEDLN - your description of the former "Least Coins" donations sounds like it would be workable in today's economy.  Have you suggested it recently to your church group - perhaps as a project for the Children's, Youth or Scouts programs (individually or combined).  As I write, I think of the jars of coins in my household.  Your comment will be an excellent encouragement to take them with me to SS this weekend.  I've already distributed a notice about the "Pennies for Peace" program and encouraged the kids and adults to undertake this venture.

I've really enjoyed this discussion and shared a lot of the comments with friends in the area, in my SS class and with lecture audiences.  Three Cups of Tea has been a popular read across the country in various audiences.  I mentioned this discussion in a recent discussion about the book and it was easy to move from the book itself to the creation of this site so that many of the previous posters in SN can continue to learn and share their opinions.  I understand from the Director of the area Library that she has checked out this site herself.

I, too, have encountered the utter dismay by Asian families (and those from other ethnic backgrounds) about the American disinterest in having multi-generations living together in the same home. But I always counter that there are some families which follow this age-old tradition.  I was raised in a home which included grandparents, parents and me.  My mother lived with us for many years until the Lord called her.

BABI - indeed there are replacement crops which could be introduced, tended and harvested in Central Asia that have no relation with poppies.  After I retired from the Univ. of MD (UM), I worked with USDA HQ in Washington DC for several years.  During that period, I met many delegations from a variety of countries - including Central Asia - where detailed discussions on this very topic were held.  Prior to joining UM, I'd also worked with agriculture folks at Montana State University (MSU) in Bozeman, and although we did not host as many international delegations as were invited to USDA in Washington, those who did visit the campus were always interested in crop rotation or the success rate of introducing totally new crops.  Thus, I know first-hand it can be done.  Now if only those folks in Central Asia could find a way to eliminate the "middle-men" they might succeed in ridding their region of the poppies and their vile production.  But at the "field level" that is a regional, tribal and clan issue, which as we have witnessed in reading of GM's efforts, also includes some really treacherous folks higher-up.  And as we already know from ancient history, the tradition of collecting baksheesh (at numerous levels) is wide spread.

ANNA - keep up your friendly and encouraging interaction with folks whom you meet casually.

Yesterday, when I was in a local drugstore, I noticed a woman waiting at the prescription counter.  She was impatient with the Pharmacy staff and kept fidgeting.  I observed her for a moment and then decided to engage her in conversation - mostly to get her to stop bugging the staff.  Turned out she was from the same area of Maryland where I lived for 30 years.  Her grandson graduated from the same high school that my son attended.  She is a graduate of the University of Maryland, as are two of her daughters.  We shopped in the same store and took our cars to be serviced by the same mechanic.  When her prescription was ready, she shook my hand, paused a moment and then hugged me, saying quietly "it's so good to meet someone from home!"  I laughingly said "Well, bless your heart" in my best Southern style (which always fails) and we both cracked up laughing, since neither one of us has yet learned how to offer that comment at the right time or in the correct tone of voice!

Mahlia

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #204 on: May 29, 2009, 01:28:46 PM »

I have to say another ‘Amen’, to Christiane Letinger’s  comment about the heroism
of Tara Bishop.  How many women could have endured such a life, with a husband/father
gone for months at a time, raising two children,   living on a relatively small
income supplemented by part time work of her own.  Yet Tara not only lived with it,
 she supported it. Realistically speaking, I don’t believe there is any way Mortenson
could have accomplished all he did without that kind of love and support at home.  
I am reminded of HajI Ali’s tribute to his wife: “I am nothing without her.”

Mortenson is very aware of how much he owes his wife.  I think it's worth quoting the last paragraph of his acknowledgments:

"Most of all, I owe immeasurable gratitude to my incredible wife, Tara.  I'm glad we took a leap of faith together.  You are an amazing companion, confidante, mother, and friend.  In my frequent absences over the eleven years of our marriage--to the rugged Pakistan and Afghan hinterland--your love has made it possible for me to follow my heart.  I love you."

ALF43

« Reply #205 on: May 30, 2009, 07:03:44 AM »
Thank you Pat- I believe that is a perfect ending to our story.  One step at a time- may we all continue sharing our blessings.

Thank you again everyone for your participation in this discussion.

Andy
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

Babi

« Reply #206 on: May 30, 2009, 08:38:56 AM »
MAHLIA, I was surprised and delighted to learn from this book that apricots,
 cherries and other fruits could be grown in the mountains. I guess I always
associated fruit orchards with warmer climates. 
  This book contained so many surprises and opened up a new 'neighborhood' to me.  This has been one of the best discussions of the many I've enjoyed
with my SN/SL friends.  My heartfelt thanks to our leaders and to the generous minds and hearts who posted here.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

ALF43

« Reply #207 on: May 30, 2009, 09:01:13 AM »
Guess what?  Greg Mortenson was on Fox News today speaking about the 100 million "Pennies for Peace" he has raised.

They said that Three Cups of Tea is now mandatory reading in the military to promote understanding of the area and build relationships.

Babi- that is so sweet that you've enjoyed your new "neighborhood" here.
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #208 on: May 30, 2009, 10:23:05 AM »
Andy, I tried to find that bit about Mortenson on FoxNews, but was told that page was unavailable.  But I did find a link to an event that brought out Fox News,  which was the Mom’s Choice Award special event with a 90 minute presentation by Mortenson, and a presentation to Mortenson by Mom's Choice at BookExpo America  yesterday morning.  I’m not familiar with Mom’s Choice, but the two sites below feature Mortenson on their blog and in their magazine.  Did any of SeniorLearn's lucky New Yorkers get to either?

MomsChoice and Mortenson

Mortenson Featured in Mom'sChoice Magazine

When do they announce the 2009 Nobel Peace Awards?  From what I understand, there are 205 nominees.  Mortenson is up there along with President Obama and France’s Sarkozy.

Brian

• Brian's Den
« Reply #209 on: May 30, 2009, 03:19:20 PM »
I have read the book, and I have followed avidly all the comments on the book.
I have to say thank you to the people who made this site available to us, and
thank you to all the commentators.

A link to the Fox News discussion with Mortenson is to be found here : -

http://www.foxnews.com/video2/video08.html?maven_referralObject=5494839&maven_referralPlaylistId=&sRevUrl=http://www.foxnews.com/

Brian.

Babi

« Reply #210 on: May 31, 2009, 08:59:14 AM »
ALF, that's great news.  It looks like Mortenson's lecture has made an impression in our military circles.

Wow! 205 nominees, PEDLN?  That's tough competition, but I'm rooting for
our boy. Now I need to go look up Francis Sarkozy.

Glad you were with us, BRIAN. Do let us hear from you more often.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #211 on: May 31, 2009, 10:32:03 AM »
Before we leave this discussion, I want to put in a word of praise for the other Author, David Relin.  He didn't change the world, but he did a remarkable job of making a good narrative out of the story.  He interviewed a lot of people and spent a lot of time and effort getting all the little details that make a vivid story.  And I bet it was like pulling teeth to get all the extra stuff out of Mortenson.

Persian

« Reply #212 on: May 31, 2009, 01:12:16 PM »
I recall that earlier in the year, while Chaps and his family were still stationed in Europe, he mentioned that he along with his fellow Chaplains and soldiers were reading Three Cups of Tea.
As they read, Chaps sent occasional cultural questions to me, I responded, and then his two kids got interested.  They also started reading the book, as well as the children's publications, discussed Pennies for Peace with their classmates and friends on post, carried Listen to the Wind in their backpacks on two Mission trips to Eastern Europe, and encouraged friends their age to read (and reach out) as well.  From this experience, they learned that 3 cups of tea and listening to the wind works in varied cultures.  And that's a good thing!

This has been a most enjoyable discussion and hopefully has served as an encouragement to learning more about the region and neighboring countries, cultures and the residents of many backgrounds who reside in the region.

Sa'alam to all!

Mahlia

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #213 on: May 31, 2009, 02:17:34 PM »
This has been a great discussion, which has gotten me thinking on some things I know too little about, and given me a picture of a most remarkable and unusual man.  Many thanks to the DLs for doing such a good job of shepherding us through it.

Mahlia, thanks for your many insights.  Your idea of continuing these conversations elsewhere is a good one if you can figure out how to fit it into the SeniorLearn framework.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #214 on: May 31, 2009, 06:39:05 PM »
This has been a wonderful discussion of a great book.Thanks to all of you.

Mahlia: do you know another book we could read to carry our understanding of the region deeper? Perhaps we could continue rhis with another book for reference?

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #215 on: May 31, 2009, 08:54:25 PM »
Thanks to every one of you -- you've all helped make this such a memorable discussion.  I'm soglad we read Three Cups of Tea, and now I mention it often to others.  Some have read it, some have not.

We had a guest preacher today. (He's actually a lawyer, but a good guy when the preacher needs a sub.)  I was unaware it was Pentecost Sunday, and was one of three who wore no red.  But the preacher said, "Pentecost reminds us to embrace other people and other cultures."  I told him afterwards, that fit right in with what I'd been reading.  And he had read it too.

This is a book that has changed behavior.  How else whould they have collectd enough funds to build 78 schools.  When I tell people they built their first school for $12,000 they are amazed.  The cost has gone up a little bit, but a small group in a small New Jersey town raised enough to build another school.  It took them from 2006 to 2008, but they got together $35,000 for the Central Asia Institute.

We will all be watching for Greg Mortenson, his friends, and the Central Asia Institute.  God bless them all

ALF43

« Reply #216 on: June 02, 2009, 09:58:32 AM »
Once again, allow me to thank each and everyone of you who have so generously contributed time, comments and personal experiences to this discussion.

BooksAdmin

• TopicManager
« Reply #217 on: June 02, 2009, 10:45:19 AM »
Thank you,   Andy(ALF43), JoanK & Pedln.

This discussion has been locked and will be archived.