Author Topic: Kristin Lavransdatter  (Read 82505 times)

BooksAdmin

• TopicManager
Kristin Lavransdatter
« on: April 09, 2015, 04:54:56 PM »
The Book Club Online is  the oldest  book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and  enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  Everyone is welcome.

April/May Book Club Online

Kristin Lavransdatter
by Sigrid Undset

This Nobel prize-winning book is the tumultuous story of the daughter of a 14th century Norwegian nobleman-farmer.

I loved it when I first read it decades ago, and now there’s a new translation which makes it even better.

Schedule: April 21?  Jørundgaard, Chapters 1-4

Discussion Leader: PatH

PatH

• BooksDL
Re: Kristin Lavransdatter ~ Proposed
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 07:40:37 PM »
Welcome, to all who would like to read Kristin Lavransdatter.  This is a great, sweeping book, a rich portrait of life in 14th century Norway, and the memorable heroine and the people who filled her life.

This is a trilogy, a very long work.  Let’s read the first book, The Wreath (The Bridal Wreath in one translation).  After that, we can continue on our own.  Or if we really want to, we can go on together.

There are two translations, the original one by Charles Archer, and a recent one by Tiina Nunnally.  They are very different in style, the Archer having an archaic tone, and the Nunnally a simple, straightforward one.  Try to get a look at both, to see which you like.  I prefer the Nunnally, but opinion isn't unanimous, and I first learned to love the book with the Archer.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 07:45:14 PM »
That striking church is in Sel, Norway, where the fictitious Kristin is supposed to have lived.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 08:34:22 PM »
Looking forward to this - we have had it on our suggestion list for years so I love we are reading it - I ordered mine used and no where can I see who did the translation - it was published in 1987 would that be a clue?
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 09:04:05 PM »
Yes.  That's got to be Archer, since Nunnally's translation is copyrighted 1997.  See how you like it, and if you want, quote me a passage and I'll give you the other version.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 12:13:38 AM »
Great PatH - I only ordered it and it comes from a vendor other than Amazon so I do not expect to receive it till maybe the end of next week but probably the following week.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

bellamarie

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2015, 10:07:54 AM »
This sounds like an interesting book.  Count me in!  I have placed it on hold at my local library for my ipad.  I see on Amazon I could purchase it for a small cost (used) if I can't get it from my library.
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2015, 10:21:24 AM »
In spite of it being on some school reading list, my library had plenty of copies, and both translations.  I own it, too, but my copy is buried somewhere.

marjifay

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2015, 02:25:43 PM »
Yes, I'd like to read Kristin Lavransdatter.  I own one of the books, but have never gotten around to reading it.  This is the first SrLearn book for discussion I've wanted to read.  I've ordered it from the library, but the library edition does not say who is the translater.  Guess I'll find out when I receive it.  I see the Penguin edition available at Amazon is the Nunnally.

Marj

"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

Halcyon

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2015, 03:26:00 PM »
I'll be reading along with you.  I'm going to order the Nunnally version; it received good reviews. Can't wait.  Bellamarie, I laughed out loud at your "What came first?" joke.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2015, 04:34:54 PM »
Marj, and Halcyon, welcome.  It's good to see you here.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2015, 05:33:10 PM »
Here's a link to Undset's page in the Nobel Prize website:

http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/literature/laureates/1928/

If you click on her name in blue to the left of the picture, you get a short menu, and "biographical" is a brief bio written by her, which has some amusing bits.

bellamarie

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2015, 06:26:05 PM »
Halycon, I'm glad to see you are going to join us.  LOLOL  I could not resist that which came first joke.   :o

Went to my library today, just to get out of the house and our main library has it so I am going to try to get it before someone else does.  I too will be using the Nunnally version.

“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2015, 06:31:02 PM »
Interesting it was 1928 where as I read a site that said 1948 a year before she died - I wonder if she won another different prize in '48

looking at the Noble site I thought wouldn't it be a wonderful experience to read at least one book for each Noble winner in Literature - there were quite a few we have tackled in the past - we are so few now I wonder if we could even get up enough interest - I am rally shocked at how few of us there are - recently joined a local reading group and all they do is go around the table and get an impression that a discussion follows but no indepth research or understanding - oh oh oh we have been so blessed and did not realize it.

Well there is no sense in bemoaning - best thing is to get as much from what we have as possible. The adventure of a new author or a new genre keeps us tapping into our courage and willingness for risk. I'll take it as long as I can.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2015, 08:25:21 PM »
If you're going to read something by each laureate, you've got your work cut out for quite a while as there are 111 of them.  Here's the list.

http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/literature/laureates/

I was surprised to see I've read something by 21 of them, and not counting Undset, we've already talked about at least 5 of them here--Rudyard Kipling, Pearl Buck, T. S. Eliot, Jose Saramago, and Alice Munro.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2015, 09:00:23 PM »
since I have read the work of most of the poets on the list in addition to some of the other authors I have almost read half the list but I still think it would be a great experience - at 110 prize winners and reading a book a month excluding December it would take 10 years - it would be like another project we often hear - reading all of Shakespeare's plays that are only 37 taking about 3 and 1/2 years at the rate of a play a month.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2015, 11:01:19 AM »
Oh wow, this is very exciting, to me. I don't know anything whatsoever about Norway, not one thing. I didn't know they even  had a Medieval culture (duh), have read no Norwegian but Ibsen, whom I loved, and the opening of the book on Amazon hooked me.

I'd like to participate. I doubt sincerely i can say anything coherent, or particularly useful,  but I expect to profit tremendously from the thoughts of those assembled and any background that comes up. 

Robert Bernard, who just died in 2013, one of my favorite Mystery writers, taught at the University of Tromsø, (how is that ø pronounced with that strike thru it?) which I thought always seemed so romantic, the furthest point of Norway(or is it more properly "farthest?") It's actually 200  miles within the Arctic Circle,   and he wasn't Norwegian. Those two writers are the closest I've ever gotten to Norway.  (Didn't a recent survey say Norway is the happiest country on earth?)

What a great selection!

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2015, 12:09:15 PM »
Here is a link about an old love triangle that played out in one of Norway's medieval Stave churches - the short short video shows a few closeups of the Stave which is the wooden Churches that are still used for worship in Norway - similar to the one that PatH found for us and is used in the heading.

http://www.visitnorway.com/us/about-norway/history/stave-churches/?media=video&autorun=true

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2015, 03:17:39 PM »
I read the book years ago and liked it, but don't remember much. I look forward to reading it together.

I'm embarrassed to admit that in the Emma discussion I said it was about Sweden! I hope any Norwegians who look in will forgive me. It shows how much I have to learn about Norway. My one exposure was when the Winter Olympics were held there years ago. I was bowled over by the beauty of some of the scenery.

Halcyon

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2015, 01:04:06 PM »
I received my book from Amazon today and wondered when we are going to start reading?

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2015, 08:20:23 AM »
I received my book from Amazon today and wondered when we are going to start reading?
First, a WARNING: If you have the Nunnally translation, and want to read the book without spoilers, DON'T read the introduction, because it summarizes much of the story.

We can start reading whenever we want, but we won't start talking about the book until most everyone has gotten the book and had a chance to start reading.  And I have a feeling that at the moment everyone's doing their income tax; they've been quiet everywhere except in the library, where they're going to town about the Mitford sisters.

My job for today is to figure out how to divide up the book, so I can't tell you yet what the first chunk is.  If you want to avoid reading ahead: The Wreath is divided into 3 parts, Jørundgaard, The Wreath, and Lavrans Bjørgulfsøn.  You'll be safe if you read the first 3-4 chapters of Jørundgaard, 50-60 pages, and by then I hope I will have figured out the divisions.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2015, 08:38:13 AM »
Will everyone please tell me when they have the book?  That will help with figuring out timing.

Halcyon

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2015, 10:37:01 AM »
I have my book  Thanks for the spoiler alert.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2015, 03:30:12 PM »
So do I.

bellamarie

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2015, 03:34:50 PM »
I just spoke with my main library and they are putting my book on reserve so I will have it tomorrow!  Thank you for the heads up about the spoilers.  Will begin reading tomorrow the first 50-60 pages.  Let us know when we can begin discussing it.

Yes, PatH, we are all a twitter about The Mitford Sisters.  I am actually going to be picking up four of their books tomorrow.  I can't wait. 

Halcyon

Re: Kristin Lavransdatter ~ Prediscussion
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2015, 11:00:23 AM »
Please enlighten me about The Mitford Sisters?  I looked online but couldn't get a clear idea of how many books there were and what order they were in.  Stories sound fascinating.  Right up my alley, so to speak.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2015, 11:05:23 AM »
I have the book. :)_

bellamarie

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2015, 02:29:16 PM »
Halycon, MaryJane has gotten me interested in The Mitford Sisters.  There are six sisters, and four of them were authors.  There are many books between the four of them.  I just checked out five of their books.  Maryjane and Steph recommends starting with, The Sisters The Saga of the Mitford Family by Mary S. Lovell, and/or Love in a Cold Climate by Nancy Mitford.  I can't wait to begin reading about these six sisters.  I would love it if we could do a discussion on one of their books in the near future. 

I got my Kristin Lavransdatter book today, it seems I have the very old edition.  The inside page says, NOBEL RIZE EDITION February, 1929  Reprinted fifteen times, Seventeenth printing.  It has all three:

Original Title:  Kristin Lavransdatter
Kransen (The Bridal Wreath)  Translated by Charles Archer and J.S. Scott

Husfrue (The Mistress Husaby)  Translated by Charles Archer

Korset  (The Cross)  Translated by Charles Archer 
copyright, 1920, 1921, 1923  by H. Aschehoug & Company, Oslo
Manufactured in the United States of America.

So it appears I do not have the Nunnally translation.   Will this make much of a difference in reading and discussing it PatH.?   

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2015, 03:33:19 PM »
I don't think so, unless you don't like the style.  All of us who already read the book and loved it read that version.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2015, 03:34:54 PM »
Still have not received mine yet but if you want to start that is fine with me and I can catch up...

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2015, 05:17:35 PM »
Shoot cannot believe this - the Amazon ad said all three books were in the one volume and then sure enough when I clicked where the order was available it was only the last book the cross - so I just did a two day Amazon for the first book the wreathe - shoot shoot I would not have purchased for 2.67 the one book when they are all available as individual reads for a penny plus shipping and then to add insult to misery it turns out to be paperback - not too often do I get burned in an order but this one was just my not reading thoroughly - today is Friday so it will probably be either Monday or Tuesday of next week - not sure if they are or not delivering on Sunday as they did for a couple of months.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2015, 05:34:14 PM »
What a bummer.  I think Amazon is still delivering on Sunday.

bellamarie

« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2015, 05:50:10 PM »
Barb, we are not in a hurry to begin, we can wait for you.  So sorry about your mix up.  

All this reading and computer/tablet use has caused my eyes to be very tired.  Went for an eye exam today and needed a stronger prescription for reading.  No big surprise.  Can't wait for the new glasses to come in 10 days.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2015, 05:53:13 PM »
OH horror, horroris, I thought it was a MAY discussion! It's next WEEK?

I'll catch up as soon as I can. :)

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2015, 04:03:44 PM »
Most of us have our books now, and Barb will get hers today or tomorrow.  Is Tuesday too soon to start?  Wednesday?  If that's too soon, we can start later.  Let me know.  Marj, do you have the book?

The first section, Jørundgaard, divides naturally into two.  Chapters 1-4 tell of Kristin's life from age seven to about twelve, and chapters 5-7 start when she's 15.  Lets make the first chunk 1-4, about 60 pages.

bellamarie

« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2015, 11:03:33 PM »
Tuesday works for me. 

Halcyon

« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2015, 08:28:19 AM »
Tuesday is fine with me.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2015, 05:09:46 PM »
Tuesday is fine. I've read chapters 1-4.

PatH says she's under a tornedo watch, so if you don't see her, that's why. She doesn't expect tornedo damage, but she does expect to lose power. But we will be undeterred and continue until she reappears.

bellamarie

« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2015, 08:32:09 PM »
Oh heavens, I hope PatH., is okay.  

In my book chapter 5 begins on pg. 54, and chapter 6 begins on pg. 66.  So I will read to either of those chapters.  The end of Jorundgaard ends on pg.  86. 

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2015, 09:02:48 PM »
I'm fine; nobody expects tornados to come right where I am, but the associated thunderstorms often produce power outages, and if anyone's power goes out, I'm a likely candidate, and I didn't want to slow things down.  So, talking between the raindrops, you want to read (or talk about) only through chapter 4, stopping at the beginning of chapter 5, which starts with the springtime of Kristin's 15th year.

We'll likely spend a fair bit of time on the first chapter or so, getting into the framework of the book, so it won't matter if you haven't read it all.