Author Topic: Author! Author!  (Read 338040 times)

BooksAdmin

• TopicManager
Author! Author!
« on: April 29, 2009, 12:21:00 PM »

Welcome to Author! Author! 

This is a game in which the contestants match their wits with a  challenger, who suggests a character in literature, non- fiction or fiction. The challenger may or may not provide more clues, his prerogative,, and never more than one a day.

Once a day the challenger will say if the queses are correct or not. The winning contestant gets lots of acclaim and the chance to pose the next challenge. If he does not want to post a new challenge he can say so and whoever does can begin a new game.

Of course you could look these up on google in an instant, what challenge is that? The  idea is to rack one's brain to try to remember where this particular character appeared and who wrote about him/ her. Should be great fun.

The challenger also has the option not to mention the name of the character, but only a description.

First up: this character spent time on a mountain which he did not enjoy....

(may as well make it challenging). Who is he and who wrote about him?

Let's work out the kinks together!

ginny

• Administrator
Re: Author! Author!
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 12:33:31 PM »
Welcome! This is exciting, a new literary game for us, and hopefully a good one. Help us develop it?

The premise is in the heading. The challenger either names a character in a book or describes him or her (or it) and we all try to guess who the author is.

If the challenger wants to give more clues he can only give one a day and when he gives that one he'll say if somebody has got it right. :)

The first one today is an example of the second kind of challenge, instead of putting in the character's name, we're putting a description instead.

See if you can get it from these clues!

The winning contestant then has the choice of posing the next challenge or passing to whoever would like to try, should be a lot of fun.

NO looking on google!! Anybody can do that, let's make the old brain cells spin! hahaha

First up:

First up: this character spent time on a mountain which he did not enjoy....

Who wrote about him?

:)

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 10:09:02 PM »
Ginny, good idea for a game.

Would that be Sisyphus

Frybabe

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 01:45:05 AM »
I like your answer Pedln. I kind of feel like Sisyphus on more than a few occasions. ;D

Gumtree

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 03:06:54 AM »
So now, a new game to test our brain cells  ...I'll have to go and find mine.  :D

Sisyphus didn't get to actually spend time ON the mountain did he?

Hans Castorp did in the Magic Mountain and I can't say that I thought he enjoyed the experience. Author was Thomas Mann.
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 07:07:10 AM »
Hahaha poor old Sisyphus, he started out well anyway!

I am excited about this game and Magic Mountain and Hans Castorp and Mann I have to admit were the first ones which came to mind, when I did the clues,  but I just saw something about our answer on TV two nights ago and that's what made me think of asking about this book  and him.

Help us work this thing out. We're thinking the challenger will only answer once a day.

Today Thursday this is my one (I'm the challenger this time) appearance in here to give answers.. so guess away,  all, those are two great ones but they are not the ones. :)

JudeS

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 10:55:35 PM »
Great new game!
My first and immediate guess was Magic Mountain.
The Sisyphus cartoon kept me entertained-How did you do that?

How about Lost Horizon by James Hilton?  The character is Hugh Conway.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 09:00:18 AM »
Nope but a good guess. The Sisyphus is an animated gif pasted here. :)

hats

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 11:28:04 AM »
Good morning,

I'll give it a try. Ernest Hemingway

hats

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2009, 11:42:46 AM »
I'm so sorry I stopped by. Please go ahead with your game. I've gone. :-[

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2009, 04:01:50 PM »
Don't go, Hats, come back and laugh at our struggles.

Gumtree

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2009, 02:26:29 AM »
Hello there Hats - where have you been ?   We missed you...

Hemingway sounds like a good clue here...

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2009, 11:14:18 AM »
Hey Hats and Pat H, welcome!

Remember now the challenger only can answer once per day, (this is to keep the challengers sane) hahaha

So it may take a while before an answer comes. Hemingway is a good guess actually but he's not the one.

This was just on television last week, that is a reference to it was (not that that means anything at all but it's what made this challenger think of it).

No I'd say he did not enjoy parts of it at all.

Happy Day don't you love a puzzle?

Frybabe

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2009, 11:17:36 AM »
Ginny, I haven't a clue, but if I were on a mountain I didn't enjoy it would be Mt. Everest. I really don't like that much cold and I do like to breathe. ;D

JudeS

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2009, 11:38:38 PM »
So if I understand this correctly the person is alive and was on TV to say he didn't like the mountain he was on or had been on?
Are we looking for a fictional or a non fictional person?  Or was it the author who was on TV and didn't like the Mountain.?

Yeeks, someone help me out here.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2009, 12:27:14 PM »
We need another clue! :)  Here's the clue du jour:

Yes it was the author himself who was on TV and who was on the mountain!!

JudeS

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2009, 12:41:38 PM »
Was it Greg Mortenson? He of Three cups of Tea?
I haven't read the book yet so this may be a missguess.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2009, 12:42:26 PM »
Nope but that's a good one! :)

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2009, 12:18:45 AM »
What didn't the author like about the mountain -- the environment or the habitants?

Gumtree

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2009, 02:13:11 AM »
Has mountaineer/writer Ed Webster been in the news lately? - He has pretty bad memories of Everest.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2009, 11:00:41 AM »
It's not Ed Webster, I'll have to look him up. :)

Pedln: the environment

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2009, 08:11:32 PM »
Hi, guys. I don't undrestand the game. I thought it had to be a fiction book. If it's non-fiction, there are a million books written by mountain climbers. You have to give us more clues.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2009, 08:17:13 PM »
The most popular climbing book is "Into Thin Air" by Krakauer.

Two other climbers on that expidition wrote books: Anatoli Boukreev, and the doctor who lost his fingers and toes (can't remember his name.

Edmund Hillary wrote several books, but I think he's dead.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2009, 08:23:51 PM »
There is a fiction book by Simon Mower about a disaster on a mountain called "The Fall" In my opinion, the only good parts of that book were cribbed from a wonderful climbing book about a man who climbed a mountain in South America, fell in a creavasse, and was left for dead. He literally crawled back to camp. Best climbing book I've ever read.

The name is "Touching the Void" by Joe Simpson. It's also a PBS movie.

that's only a few of probably hundreds.

Frybabe

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2009, 12:24:42 AM »
And then there was the plane that crashed in the Andies. I don't imagine any of the survivors liked being there. I don't remember much about the event, nor do I remember the name of the book written about it.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2009, 06:55:40 AM »
Yes it can be non fiction!

More clues.... hmmm..... the author's book on the subject touched more on his marriage and personality than it did the event, so if you want to read about the event you need to read another account.

None of the authors named here are the right ones but you're, as those who play that game HOT/ COLD like to say, burning up. :) This is the  Response du Jour! hahaha

JudeS

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2009, 01:12:52 PM »
I didn't read the book but I did see a Youtube presentation on a man who went from being a miner to being a mountain climber.He wrote a book about that experience. I'll chime in even though it probably isn't correct.

Learning to Breathe by Andy Cave

If we get another question I would ask :
What country is the Author from?

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2009, 03:25:44 PM »
I'll bet it was the book by the doctor. I can't remember either his name or the name of the book. He was left for dead on Everest, and miraculously managed to find his way back. He was helicoptered out at incredible risk to the pilot, and survived with parts of hands, feet, and I think nose missing. The climbing group behind him was filming the film that I own, and so his return to camp was caught on film. It also shows him later, during recovery -- he didn't even look human.

His book is a poor account: as Ginny says focussing on his marraige (strained by his mountain climbing), personality (abrasive: the others on the trip didn't like him) and blaming the man who left him (twice). If you read it, read "Into Thin Air" first, and use it to fill in the blanks.

I'll have to find the tape, and get his name. I can always remember facts a lot easier than names.

Gumtree

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2009, 01:35:48 AM »
JoanK Are you thinking of Into Thin Air -can't think of the author - he was with Beck Weathers who was left behind on Everest and lost fingers (perhaps an arm?) toes and I think his nose to frostbite....now I come to think of it - Weathers wrote Left for Dead

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2009, 10:11:44 AM »
SHRIEK!~!

We have a winner!

I declare you guys are TOO smart and knowledgeable, no wonder the Book Wizard retired!

Right you are, Beck Weathers indeed, just on TV last week for some reason and right on! And Joan K is totally right on the book.

Now Joan K and Gum get to share that victory but Gum was first with the name so she shall pose the next challenge!

Remember only one clue or response per day!

Gumtree

« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2009, 10:50:01 AM »
No! No! NO!

CONGRATULATIONS TO JOANK
!   

the honour and glory goes to JoanK who deserves ALLof the credit - I was just wallowing in a plethora of mountaineers until JoanK came up with the right clues -  which told me which one to pinpoint

I'm now waiting with bated breath for JoanK's challenge questions  and  expect they'll take some solving.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2009, 01:12:45 PM »
GUMTREE: lucky you came up with the name -- I can't find anything since I moved: both my copy of Into Thin Air and the tape that shows Beck Weathers have disappeared. I think you should definitely put up the next challange!!

But if any of you want to read about mountain climbing, don't bother with Weather's book. Reasd either "Into Thin Air" or "Touching the Void".

Gumtree

« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2009, 09:20:34 PM »
JoanK:  Well Ok - I'll do it but I am very hesitant about it. I may never have got it without your clues but maybe that's what this is about - sharing and working together...

I'll have to have a little think today...back this evening...my evening  ;D

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2009, 06:46:04 AM »
Oh lovely work, Ladies, and Joan K is right about the book!
but maybe that's what this is about - sharing and working together...

I couldn't have put it better, that's what the entire SITE is about, well said!

Gumtree

« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2009, 11:57:33 AM »
Alas! This evening has come all too soon...for me at least

WHO AM I  AND WHAT IS THE TITLE OF THIS BOOK

THE AUTHOR:
I am of mixed heritage. After a slow and difficult start my work eventually became successful and has received many accolades but was rarely without controversy.

THE BOOK:
This work was not originally written for publication but was penned mainly for self-motivation and as something akin to an exercise in problem-solving.

I'll return tomorrow evening with yet more obvious clues... ;)

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2009, 01:04:37 PM »
I'm sure this is wrong, but I'll guess Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2009, 02:17:13 PM »
Wow, I love this! I have no clue! :)

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2009, 04:08:45 PM »
Oh, was it the book we read in "reading Around the World" by a Maori writer? About three characters: a woman, a Maori man, and a strange child?

hats

« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2009, 08:02:07 AM »
Hi Ginny and All,

Congratulations Joan K

Gumtree

« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2009, 10:56:41 AM »
Aha! JoanK - sadly Angela's Ashes and The Bone People (Keri Hulme) are NOT CORRECT but given the clues they're brilliant guesses....you should have no trouble with this challenge...

I'm not too sure of the rules but I suppose I'm now expected to provide another clue ...OK?

CLUES FOR TODAY-

THE AUTHOR:
I am a fairly prolific writer and have addressed many themes and topics. I have used fiction, non-fiction, plays, and biography to examine elements of society and to explore the conflict between good and evil. My work often shows my strong affinity with nature particularly my love of the land and the sea.

THE BOOK
This book was written primarily for my own benefit and is concerned with my everyday joys and fears and provides an insight into my most minor obsessions as well as my deepest convictions.

Go to it girls (and Boys?)