Author Topic: Author! Author!  (Read 338006 times)

ginny

• Administrator
Re: Author! Author!
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2009, 02:41:05 PM »

Welcome to Author! Author!  

This is a game in which the contestants match their wits with a  challenger, who suggests a character in literature, non- fiction or fiction. The challenger may or may not provide more clues, his prerogative,, and never more than one a day.

Once a day the challenger will say if the queses are correct or not. The winning contestant gets lots of acclaim and the chance to pose the next challenge. If he does not want to post a new challenge he can say so and whoever does can begin a new game.

Of course you could look these up on google in an instant, what challenge is that? The  idea is to rack one's brain to try to remember where this particular character appeared and who wrote about him/ her. Should be great fun.

The challenger also has the option not to mention the name of the character, but only a description.

First up: this character spent time on a mountain which he did not enjoy....

(may as well make it challenging). Who is he and who wrote about him?

Let's work out the kinks together!

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2009, 02:42:27 PM »
Oh!! (no, you can give clues when you feel like it but never more than once a day), is it Barbara Kingsolver's newest book?

I like the "I" approach!

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2009, 02:55:40 PM »
WOW! I have no idea, but I'd sure like to read that book.

Frybabe

« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2009, 12:57:41 PM »
I guess we ought to continue the process of elimination.

Maxine Hong Kingston of Woman Warrior and China Men fame. Her most recent book is Veterans of War; Veterans of Peace.

There was a movie made starring Amy Tan based on, I think, her Woman Warrior, but I don't think she ever wrote a play.

Gumtree

« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2009, 03:49:14 AM »
Thanks Frybabe for joining the contenders for the crown.

More good guesses but none is the right one but I can see how you are thinking.   ::)

I gave no new clues yesterday so there are plenty for today. Perhaps they will entice more players to chance their arm.

THE AUTHOR
On  a personal note:  my marital life was not all smooth sailing as there were a number of affairs and two divorces along the way but my third and last marriage was long lasting and satisfying.
At times my relationship with my children was fraught with misunderstanding and tension.
My friendships were strong and durable. One with my editor developed over the years of working together and another, almost lifelong, often saw the two of us messing about in boats.
Then there was my dog.  ;D

Controversy was often my companion. The furore surrounding some of my early work forced me to leave my country with the result that I lived in virtual exile for several years.

THE BOOK
The topics addressed in this book are many and varied and of necessity I play dual roles being both the author and a character.
The book is partly a working commentary on the progress, problems encountered and methods I used whilst writing what some say was my greatest work so in some senses the novel itself is also something of a character.

I think that's enough for you to be going on with...

Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

Frybabe

« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2009, 08:05:32 PM »
I am still at a complete loss. Goodness: a dog, boating, mixed-heritage, temporary? exile, three marriages, kids. My only assumption at this point is that we are looking for a man who has been around for a while.

Gumtree

« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2009, 12:09:28 PM »
Frybabe Your assumption is correct - our author is definitely  'a man who has been around for a while'

Just quick clues for tonight - I've been on a cruise all day and am now just too tired to think.

THE AUTHOR
Yes, I have been around for a while but I am no longer living. I passed away from among you at the comparatively young age of 66 years.
My CV would also include that of War Correspondent during WWII and again during the Vietnam conflict.
Many of my works have been produced as major films for which I often handled the screenplay. Most featured leading stars of the screen and did well at the box office.

Frybabe

« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2009, 09:05:56 PM »
Now you would think that would be a big clue. Ahhhhhhhhh!

The only war correspondents I remember by name during the Vietnam War are Peter Arnett and David Halberstam. Peter is still alive and although Halberstam passed away two (?) years ago I don't think he was old enough to be reporting during WWII.

The only screenwriter/novelist I know who was 66 when he died is Michael Crichton, who never was a war reporter to my knowledge.

The person you are looking for was probably born in the 1920s. Too much later and he misses WWII, too much earlier and he dies during the Vietnam War. We did lose more than a few.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2009, 09:41:51 PM »
I'm sure I know the author, though I don't know the book, but I don't really want to win anyway, because I'm about to head off to California and won't be able to field the next puzzle.  Which should I do: tell the author and leave it up to the rest of you to find the book, or shut up?

Gumtree

« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2009, 01:21:08 AM »
Frybabe Wow ! you really are thinking this thing out - but you haven't got the right man -
 This author was born before 1920 but he wasn't killed in Vietnam.

PatH  So you think you know huh?
 I think you should tell what you know even though you may not be able to present the next quiz -  Ginny, our gallant leader, made the proviso that, should a winner not care to offer a challenge she may abdicate and another player could take up the mantle (or words to that effect).
So come on PatH, please tell all you know

I'll come in later with more clues....

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2009, 08:05:52 AM »
OK, I think it's John Steinbeck.

mrssherlock

« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2009, 11:08:42 AM »
Mark
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Frybabe

« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2009, 11:13:19 AM »
Actually, Gum, I don't have any man. I am just going through a process of elimination out loud so to speak.

Gumtree

« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2009, 12:20:06 PM »

WE HAVE A WINNER !!!

CONGRATULATIONS TO PatH

JOHN STEINBECK IS THE AUTHOR

Well done, Pat - I'm wondering whether it was the accumulation of clues or just one that gave away the plot - was it the mention of his dog - or messing around in boats.

Now we need to find the title of the BOOK - tomorrow I'll give more clues on that.

Do you want me to amplify the clues given for the AUTHOR?

Frybabe

« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2009, 12:25:26 PM »
Congratulations, Pat.

I would never have guessed him; didn't know he was a war reporter.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2009, 01:37:44 PM »
I didn't remember he was a war correspondent either, and I'm not even sure which clues gave it to me.  I was just sitting there looking at the clues and all of a sudden it popped into my head "that's GOT to be John Steinbeck".  The subconscious is strange.

JudeS

« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2009, 06:50:29 PM »
Wow-John Steinbeck!

I was sure it was some esoteric person who I have never heard of and was afraid to even guess any names.

The Book may be "Adventures With Charlie" .

mrssherlock

« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2009, 09:25:00 PM »
Wasn't that "Travels with Charlie"?
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Gumtree

« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2009, 11:44:06 AM »

I just looked through the Clues and I think they are all pretty self-explanatory especially for Americans who no doubt know Steinbeck's work well - but just for the record....

The book we're looking for is NOT Travels with Charley. Steinbeck's dog, Charley was a poodle and they travelled across America together in a camper van and the resulting book voices Steinbeck's impressions of America during that trip

His stint as a war correspondent in Vietnam was probably because of his concern for his son who was serving there and he was able to visit him whilst reporting.

His novels often attracted controversy especially Grapes of Wrath - feeling ran so high in California that the book was banned and burned and the vilification against Steinbeck was so great that when it began to spread into other States he was forced to go abroad to allow feelings to subside.

The 'messing around in boats' refers to his long time friend, Ed Ricketts (Doc in Cannery Row) who was a marine biologist - The Log from the Sea of Cortez resulted from trips they took to gather specimens.

The 'mixed heritage' was his Irish and German forebears.

'Many accolades' refers to all the prizes he was awarded - the Pulitzer for Grapes of Wrath, Norway's Haakon VII Medal for The Moon is Down etc he also receivedthe US Medal of Freedom and of course we can't forget the Nobel Prize for Literature.

If you would care to continue and name the book that I have in mind here are a couple more clues:

THE BOOK
It is written in the epistolary style and is a collection of letters written to Steinbeck's editor but ultimately it is also something of a day to day diary.
The subject matter in the letters varies enormously but often includes requests for research information required for the novel he was writing at the time. It's also about his family life - the minor problems which beset us all as well as small joys each day brings.
Much of the book is devoted to the problems of writing - of being able to achieve finished pages each day - and musings on the creative urge...
at one stage he writes :

Although some times I have felt that I held fire in my hands and spread a page with shining - I have never lost the weight of clumsiness, of ignorance, of aching inability.

At other times he is more cheerful - perhaps celebrating that one of his other books is going to be made into a film ...and so on.

Until tomorrow...

Frybabe

« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2009, 11:22:18 AM »
Well, Gum, the only Steinbeck book I ever read was The Red Pony so we can count that out. The last book published before his death was America and Americans. Now that I have read a synopsis of some of his famous books, I am tempted to read Cannery Row. Did you know there was a sequel to that? I didn't. Don't remember the name off hand.

Gumtree

« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2009, 12:58:09 AM »
Frybabe Yes indeed, Sweet Thursday was the sequel to Cannery Row. Can't say I'm familiar with America and the Americans. Even though you may not have read his books, I'm sure you know them through the movies.

No guesses for the book title?  So I think we'd better wind this Challenge up: The book in question was:

JOURNAL OF A NOVEL - The East of Eden Letters

Steinbeck's editor Pascal Covici presented him with a large notebook which Steinbeck decided to use for East of Eden. As a warm-up exercise each morning he wrote a letter to Covici on the left hand page and then on the right hand page he wrote East of Eden The letters are a mine of information for scholars and readers alike.
Likewise notebooks relating to other novels have also been published eg. Grapes of Wrath.

So - Once again,

CONGRATULATIONS TO PatH

who correctly answered the first part of the challenge. Well done, Pat -

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2009, 05:58:35 PM »
Good heavens, what a super contest this was, reminds me of the Book Wizard!!!

AND I learned a lot, too, I thought I knew Steinbeck! Apparently NOT!!

Super job, well done Pat H! Well done, Gum!!!

Who would like to pose the next puzzle, I loved the way this one went, so enjoyable, and I had NO clue!

Gumtree

« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2009, 06:28:56 AM »
 Ginny - So there you are again - we've missed you!

I wasn't quite sure how to proceed from here...I really think we could use a few more players so there is more chatter for both the players and the challenger to bounce off.
 Maybe we could drum up business around the discussions ?? 
 Maybe the Challenge could be a 'One a Month' special - at least to begin with.

I'm sure the other players will have more ideas for you to ponder.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2009, 11:29:53 AM »
One problem with the challenge is that it's a lot of work to create one.  I'm on the road at the moment, so couldn't commit to the time needed to take my turn.  Maybe tomorrow, when I move from the new grandson's apartment to JoanK's place, we can do some brainstorming, though we might not have computer access.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2009, 11:58:26 AM »
Oh good, let's do brainstorm, the last thing like this was the Book Wizard, but I think Gum did just as good a job, let's talk about how we could offer some kind of fun challenge just like we just did in an easier to manage format! Good ideas!

I vote OUI! :)

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2009, 05:36:56 PM »
Ginny, I didn't make myself clear.  What I was trying to say was that I will brainstorm with JoanK to see if I can come up with a book so I can take my turn.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2009, 07:06:11 PM »
YAHOOIE!! Even better!! Can't wait!

kidsal

• Howdy from Rock Springs, WY
« Reply #67 on: May 21, 2009, 03:53:15 PM »
It would be a nightmare trying to diagram my sentences.  But you can picture a lady riding on a bird.  My novels have been made into wonderful movies which help to explain my novels.

Frybabe

« Reply #68 on: May 21, 2009, 10:57:24 PM »
You got me Kidsal. All I can think of is Mother Goose, but that was all poems. My childhood copy of Mother Goose had a woman in a tall hat, riding a goose.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #69 on: May 22, 2009, 01:09:38 AM »
Wow, I'm going to have to think hard--somehow feel I know it.

Gumtree

« Reply #70 on: May 22, 2009, 01:48:40 AM »
Virginia Woolf popped into my mind - but I daresay it will be someone completely unknown to me ?

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #71 on: May 22, 2009, 03:25:13 PM »
Oh GREAT, the game's afoot and I didn't even know it, don't know why this one did not show up as posted in and now a lady on a bird!  First thought of Mother Goose too, then something is ringing a long dead bell, something else, I can almost ....hmmmm. Fun!

What CAN it be? Did St. Euxbury's Little Prince have a lady on a bird? Lady on a bird!!!!! Wonderful movies.

Mind bender, can we have another clue or has somebody here solved it?

Gumtree

« Reply #72 on: May 23, 2009, 02:34:47 AM »
D H Lawrence wrote a novella called Ladybird - His novels have been made into great movies which help explain his work but no-one would have a nightmare trying to diagram his sentences.  Still  ???

BTW - we don't use 'diagram' in that sense here....

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #73 on: May 23, 2009, 09:49:24 AM »
The authors whose sentences I would least like to diagram are Proust and Faulkner, but I don't see them fitting otherwise (though I've not read a lot of  either).

Gumtree, what do you call it?

Frybabe

« Reply #74 on: May 23, 2009, 09:58:08 AM »
There are a bunch of fantasy stories that include people and other animals rode on the backs of birds. Can't think of the names of any just now.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #75 on: May 23, 2009, 10:16:52 AM »
James Joyce would be a good one to diagram! hahahaa If he's diagrammable at all. We need a diagram discussion, have always wanted one, such fun. Did Joyce have ladies on birds?

JudeS

« Reply #76 on: May 23, 2009, 08:06:55 PM »
After freeing myself from the all pervasive idea of Mother Goose I remembered something written by Kate Chopin in which she sees herself as a bird....
"The bird that would soar above the plain  of tradition must have strong  wings".

I don't know if you meant literally that there was a woman flying on a bird.

The guess is a shot in the dark.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #77 on: May 24, 2009, 03:06:19 PM »
If it's by Kate Chopin, it's probably "The Awakening". But I don't remember the character's name.

kidsal

• Howdy from Rock Springs, WY
« Reply #78 on: May 25, 2009, 04:15:49 AM »
Another clue:  He was also thought of as a square in Washington!

Gumtree

« Reply #79 on: May 25, 2009, 11:07:32 AM »
Well, Henry James wrote Washington Square so what about The Wings of the Dove?