Author Topic: In Memory of Joan Grimes  (Read 4988 times)

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
In Memory of Joan Grimes
« on: April 14, 2015, 11:09:01 AM »
In Loving Memory

Joan Grimes

Joan Grimes was a Discussion Leader from the early days of SeniorNet and here at SeniorLearn.

Joan, with others from SeniorLearn, at the Books at the Beach gathering on Isle of Palms, S.C.

Joan came to the Books Gatherings in Chicago and the Isle of Palms. She'd also attended a number of the Bashes held by the groups from SeniorNet.   She loved to travel and went often to France, especially Paris.  She was a docent at the Art Museum in Birmingham and spoke of her love of art, history, and France often.

She was a collector of elephants, the mascot of her beloved University of Alabama.  Her signature line almost always carried the crimson "Roll Tide." She was an avid supporter and was present at all the home Alabama football games she could attend.

She passed away February 26, 2015.  Please share with us your memories of Joan.[/crimson]

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
Re: In Memory of Joan Grimes
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 11:11:07 AM »
I "met" Joan Grimes way back in the late 1990s when I joined SeniorNet.  After the demise of that site, she came here to SeniorLearn and continued to participate in and lead book discussions.

Joan was a native Alabama resident and she loved her Family, art, France, history and the Crimson Tide of the University of Alabama.

bellamarie

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 01:12:08 PM »
I remember Joan from SeniorNet, and then of course Senior Learn.  I loved the insight she gave to our discussions.  I am so sorry to hear of her passing.  My deepest sympathy to her loved ones.
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 10:14:43 PM »
I too am very sorry to learn of Joan Grimes passing. I understand that she has been in a nursing home for several years. I recall that she loved to learn new things and was proud of being a docent at an art museum near her. She liked to talk about books that have art and/or historical content. Community meant a lot to her and she volunteered to write up profiles of some of the volunteers and members of our reading group in the early days. 

I hope that her family will take comfort in the full life that Joan lived.

Steph

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 08:46:46 AM »
Her eyes got very bad and she went into a nursing home since she could not get around. She came to the beach bash.. Just had lost Theron.. We roomed together. She was very sad but gallant, We emailed back and forth for several years. She had so many interests.. I will miss her and know the world is a little sadder with no Joan
Stephanie and assorted corgi

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 11:02:08 AM »
I'm was so sorry to learn about Joan passing away, have thought of her often over the years.  She was such an interesting person and had done so much.  Very talented.  I remember meeting her at the beach get-together on Isle of Palms.  We went to the Poe Tavern (Edgar Allen) and she took some great photos of works hanging there.  She said she enjoyed reading Faulkner.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2015, 12:09:26 PM »
I am so sorry to hear of Joan's demise. We go back such a long way here and on SeniorNet.

She was a host on the old SeniorNet  and when the website broke up she came here as a Host as well, and helped with photos and art and book discussions. She came to many of our Gatherings, the first one ever in NYC with her cousin Nancy,  I believe, to the one in Chicago where the photo above was taken.  I remember that she and  Theron were  so happy, we feted them and  their new marriage in Chicago, and so enjoyed the auction he did...such fun. In the photo above she was the Registrar, at that event, something she also did for our first book club in 1996 on SeniorNet, and I think something she also did in NYC.

She came to Washington DC, to the National Book Festival, to Books at the Beach, and she enjoyed so many things, mentioned here: art, her family, the  Alabama Tide, being a docent at the Museum, I had forgotten that till Jane mentioned it, photography, and travel. And many other things. I remember there was an hotel in Paris where they knew her name when she walked in the door, she'd gone there so many times. She was very proud to get the author of Girl With a Pearl Earring to participate in our online discussion.

She lived a  life of many interests and enjoyments, which is laudatory, and  we knew she had been ill, but had not heard from her, but we can enjoy the fun memories we shared here online and in person over the years.

My sympathy to her family whom she loved so much.

ALF43

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2015, 08:28:42 AM »
My heart felt sympathy iOS extended to Joan's family. I just linked in here to learn that she had passed.  She contributed so much in our discussions in regard to the fine arts. I could always depend on Joan to enhance a book selection with her knowledge.
She will be missed.
I first met Joan on our initial SeniorNet site and was fortunate to meet her, in person, at ouR beach trip in SC.
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

gingerw

• Michigan
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 10:50:20 PM »
My heart felt sympathy to Joan's family. I met Joan when on senior net and came to senior learn with all here. Shared many gatherings, Chicago, Isle of Palms,National Book Festival in Washington, DC etc.  she was a very special lady. I remember how happy Joan and Theron were and feel are now being together again.

Rest in peace my friend.

In memory :)  "Roll Tide".

Ginger