Author Topic: Night Villa, The ~ Carol Goodman ~ June 1 ~ Book Club Online  (Read 150003 times)

ALF43

Re: Night Villa ~ Carol Goodman ~ June 1 ~ Book Club Online
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2009, 09:57:15 AM »
The Book Club Online is  the oldest  book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and  enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  Everyone is welcome to join in.

"The Night Villa: Carol Goodman’s luminous prose and superb storytelling will keep you entertained into the late hours.”
–Nancy Pickard

“The pleasure of a Carol Goodman novel is in her enviable command of the classical canon–and the deft way she [writes] a book that’s light enough for a weekend on the beach but literary enough for a weekend in the Hamptons.”  –Chicago Tribune

News  Flash! Carol Goodman, award winning author of The Night Villa, will attend our June discussion of her book. If you like mystery mixed with mythology, cultural and religious history and intrigue then this is the story for you.

The novel is a multi layered mystery set in the exploration of an ancient Roman villa.  Carol Goodman is a former Latin teacher who knows her stuff, and since we met with her in NYC, we know she is an incredibly responsive person.  This will be "one for the  Books.."  Do join us June 1!

Our meeting in NYC with Carol
.       Schedule:
  • Pages      4 - 112       June 1 - 7
  • Pages  113 - 204       June 8 - 14
  • Pages  204 - 291       June 15 - 22
  • Pages  292 / finish    June 23 - 30

Links

In the first week of June, Week I  we will not talk about anything other than what is contained in  the first 112 pages. If your question  may pertain to what comes later on, we'll ask you to hold that particular one  for the end, so as not to spoil it for the rest.

Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

ALF43

« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2009, 10:02:50 AM »
TADA- I managed to get the heading in accurately for a change.
Take a bow Andrea.
 ::)

I will tell her that you said that Joyce.  Right now, she is still experiencing a llot of pain so she's not comfortable enough to sit, read and type.  She thinks it will be longer than I think it will be.  My gauge says that she will want to know WHAT is going on in another week or so.

Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

ALF43

« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2009, 01:27:03 PM »
I have just received an email from Carol Goodman.  She is delighted that we have Latin students interested in this discussion.  Marcie has graciously offered to help her learn how to navigate in and out-- so keep your fingers crossed she should be here shortly to say "hello."

CarolGoodman

« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2009, 11:32:19 AM »
Salvete! 
I'm so delighted to see so many people signed on to talk about The Night Villa!  I had such a wonderful time at the meeting in New York.  I wanted to thank you all for reading my book and for all your generous comments.

I'm looking forward to the discussion and I'm happy to answer any questions. (Except ones about the passive periphrastic in Latin!  Sophie Chase is a much better classicist than I am.)

Valete,
Carol Goodman

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2009, 11:47:00 AM »
Welcome, Carol!! We're all very much looking forward to talking about THE NIGHT VILLA with you. I'm already struck by your comment that Sophie is a better classicist than you. :-) It must be a bit strange to think about a person you've invented. I think we're going to have a lot of fun in this discussion as well as learn a lot.

catbrown

« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2009, 11:59:51 AM »
I'm another of Ginny's Latin students, checking in. I have the book, but haven't started it yet for fear I'll finish it and be deep into something else before the discussion even starts.

I'm looking forward to this!

And, Ginny, when you read this, know that I've been thinking of you but have resisted sending you a get-well-soon email, thinking of all those emails piling up daily while you are computer deprived. Once things settle down for you, I will definitely send you an email: I have news!

Hmm, and Carol, I gather you'll answer Latin questions as long as they're not about the passive periphrastic? Hooray! (now you're in trouble ... ),

Cathy

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2009, 01:03:41 PM »
Welcome, Carol.  It's so good of you to take some precious time to join us.  I'm really looking forward to the discussion; I already have the book, but don't dare start it yet for fear I'll chomp straight through it.

ALF43

« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2009, 04:57:03 PM »
Oh gracious me, there you are.  I am so excited about your joining in answering questions, dodging Latin students, et al.  I'm just kidding,Carol, everyone is so pleased that you are gracious enough to come in here and meet with us.

Ginny will be so happy that you have found your way here. 
Let us know right away if there are any questions, concerns or difficulties that you've faced while navigating our site.  We have all the best computer gurus on our staff.  (oops sorry ladies)  Staff denotes pay $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
We have the best computer gurus who volunteer their services here at SeniorLearn.

The Latin students are piling up here, Carol, and they will keep you on your toes.

Welcome again from both Ginny and myself as well as the entire crew!!!! ;D

Eloise

• Montreal
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2009, 06:28:48 PM »
You are most welcome Carol, I have read the first 80 pages of Night Villa and I will say nothing more about that until we officially start on June first. I am excited that I will be learning something about the ancient world. Thank you for joining our group.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2009, 09:55:29 PM »
Welcome, Carol, and thank you for joining us.  I so enjoyed the time you spent with us in New York, and am looking forward to the discussion and to reading my copy of Night Villa, which you so graciously signed for me.

Gumtree

« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2009, 11:41:29 PM »
How good it is to have you joining the discussion Carol I'm NOT a Latin student (how I wish) but I have your book waiting. I'm currently reading The Seduction of Water which is very intriguing - sometimes I just can't put it down...

You may care to know that in Western Australia (where I live) your books are quite popular - they are available from the bookstores and are held by the libraries. I'm finding it hard to get my hands on Lake of Dead Languages which is in high demand.
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

ALF43

« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2009, 08:39:53 AM »
Carol, I can not imagine how thrilled you must have been when you read Gumtree's post from Western Australia.  Australia!  Holy smokes, around the other side of the world your writing is being celebrated and our very own Gumtree will spread the interest.

Pedln- I echo your relishing in the fact that once again we can meet with Carol.  Didn't we have a grand time in NY City when she autographed our copies?  Aren't we hot stuff?  Our very own autographed copy of the illustrious writer and author of this novel?    ;D

Hello Eloise- welcome aboard.  I love it when Eloise reads with us, she has the knack of being able to perceive things through a refined and elegant scrutiny.  Oft times, I scratch my head and wonder "Why didn't I think of that?"

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2009, 06:38:43 PM »
This is only marginally relevant, but when I was working as a chemist at the National Institutes of Health, one of the physicians there told me that one of the best things he did was to take Latin, because it taught him to think logically.

CarolGoodman

« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2009, 08:28:30 AM »
Wow!!! I'm stunned and delighted by everyone's enthusiasm.  This is great!  And who knew I had a following in Australia?  Not me!  I always knew there was something about Australia that I liked.

I see Latin is in the news elsewhere today--in the NY Times op-ed piece on taking Latin off college diplomas.  I remember I had to ask a professor what "Novi Eboraci" meant on my college diploma (New York), but I've never forgotten it since and it helped me recently recognize York on a map of Roman Britain. 

I'm looking forward to the discussion.  Thanks again, all of you, for reading!

ALF43

« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2009, 11:00:37 AM »
Pat I had 3 years of Latin in high school and loved it.  My grandson, who graduates high school this year took that course for two years.  If it did nothing else it helped with the break down of almost any word in the English language.  I am not certain that it ever made me think more logically, though, I will have to think about that idea (logically of course.)

Carol- here you are again.  Thanks so much for keeping track of us.  We could easily get lost ourselves without Ginny at the helm.
 I personally think that it is deplorable to remove Latin curriculum from high schools and feel that it should be recommended, not discouraged. 

We will have many pertinent questions for Carol while exploring The Night Villa and Marcie will be in shortly to tell us the best way for us to accomplish this feat.
Thank you, one and all for your interest.

From another ""Novi Eboraci " native.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2009, 02:24:08 PM »
Hi, everyone. When we formally begin our conversation with Carol Goodman about THE NIGHT VILLA, on June 1, we'll open a new discussion. During that discussion, if you have a question or comment for Carol, please alert Carol by typing QUESTION/COMMENT FOR CAROL as the first line in your post. Thanks!

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2009, 02:25:29 PM »
Carol, That's an interesting op ed article about the use of Latin on diplomas. Everyone, the article is available online at http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/15/opinion/15Francese.html

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #57 on: May 15, 2009, 07:03:29 PM »
Just stopping by to say hello to Carol and ask how her mother is since we last saw her on her birthday in September???  What a delightful lady she is and she raised a delightful daughter/author.  She should be proud!

I have read three of your books and will look for "Night Villa" in the library as soon as I finish the discussion of "Loving Frank".  Looking forward to the read, Carol.
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

ALF43

« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2009, 09:04:30 PM »
Thanks Marice for your help with that issue and your assistance getting Carol Goodman onto SeniorLearn.  Many of these questions will be redundant because we queried her relentlessly in New York City. 

After the last page of Carol's novel, please allow yourselves the luxury of reading her reflections and trepidations which she endured while creating this story.  It is entitled A Regional Muse

Following that is a conversation between Carol and her husband, Lee Slonimsky, about writing, Italy and good tomatoes.
 She is so darned easy to talk to. 

(oh-oh she teaches creative writing as well and I do believe there would be a big red circle around that last sentence.)
This will help you understand why our interview with Carol lasted far longer than she had expected.  I can't wait until we get started.  By then Ginny will be up and Adam (I hope).

Annie- it will be great to have you in here as we tour the the Villa della Notte.

serenesheila

« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2009, 02:13:37 AM »
I am looking forward to reading this book, and the discussion about it.  This will be the first book I read on my Kindle.  I lived in Italy for several months, as my husbband was in the military.  I loved the beautiful country in Southern Italy.

In high school, I took a semester of Latin.  Just that small amount of exposure to Latin, has helped me all of my life, with English words.  It seems to me that my grandchildren would benefit from a year, or two, of Latin.

Sheila

ALF43

« Reply #60 on: May 17, 2009, 02:06:03 PM »
Sheila, I am pleased that you are going to join us.  PLease let me know how it works out with the Kindle, I am dying to buy one but fear I won't be able to find my place while reading and discussing a book here.  Does it come with page numbers?
I love all of the high-faluting gadgets but I can not see myself without a book in hand.  We will see.  I always preach "move on, we're in the 21st century" but have a problem with that issue.

Ginny is feeling a bit better today and is attempting some movement with a small amount of weight.  She has a broken bone in the knee but her pain is radiating into her ankle and that is still giving her a great deal of pain.  She goes back to the doc on the 1st but is "chomping at the bit" to get in here.  She needs the rest and the comfort of time. :P

sandyrose

« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2009, 07:45:19 PM »
Hi, Sandyrose here.  I also am one of Ginny's Latin students and I am so, so sorry to hear of her accident.  I just found out today as I was reading all the posts here.  Thank you Andrea for the updates. 

Hope you heal quickly Ginny!

And thank you Carol Goodman for joining us here.  Wow, this is great.  I read The Night Villa a while ago and loved it--a mystery, history and ties in with Latin class--what's not to like  :)

winsummm

« Reply #62 on: May 17, 2009, 11:21:38 PM »
hi all of you. I'm a bad person, I can't wait for you all to begin this book.

I went to the kindle sample and before I was halfway through I  knew I had to have it immediately. I bought it with my kindle and began to read and there is no way that I can wait for the group.  I am a quarter of the way through already.

I love this author, the way she writes the way she understands and loves her characters, her story telling ability, her knowledge which is shared on an intimate level with us all whether we  are up for it or not. Although I am glad I took a course in mythology thirty years ago, and like archeology. It seems romantic to me and also to her.

thank you for pointing me in this direction. before I'm through I'll probably have read everything Carol Goodman has written. it could get expensive even with KINDLE.

claire
thimk

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: May 18, 2009, 10:13:03 AM »
I appreciate everybody's good wishes and concern, thank you so much,  and I am doing FINE and raring to go here on June 1~

Welcome Joan R, SandyRose, Claire (winsumm),  serenesheila, and Adoannie to an already super crowd of readers, and a  special welcome to Carol Goodman!!

I am so glad to see so many Latin students here, we have 5 levels of Latin represented here on  SeniorLearn,  in our pro bono Classics Project, some of whom have studied Latin with us for 4 years and  some of whom  know more about the Passive Periphrastic than I do. :) hahahaa It's a good thing and what a thrill for all of us  to be able to talk to award winning Carol  Goodman about this book.

But you don't need to know ANYTHING at all about Latin to read, enjoy,  and savor this book. No more than you need to know about the  Crystal Skull to enjoy the last Indiana Jones movie. The Crystal Skull turned out to be in real life a fake (see the latest Smithsonian on it)  but that's one thing I really admire about Carol's writing: the integrity.  She's the real thing, she knows what she's talking about.  Of course it's a book of fiction, and of course she's created things and made things up, but she's good at it:  the references are things most of us know nothing about, so we can't help learning SOMETHING, painlessly and enjoyably.  There are more books than you'd think featuring classics as a subject or Latin teachers, but they are not written BY people in the field, I really do like what she's done. And then there's  the book of course (which is not what you normally mention last)  hahahaa, but as Claire said: it's  great.

Welcome, ALL, what a thrill this is for the Book Club Online, the  oldest continuous book club on the Internet, a true international and great group of readers being able to talk to THE Carol Goodman, what else do you want?

In the first week of June, Week I in the heading,  we will not talk about anything other than what is contained in  the first 112 pages. If your question (several of mine are in this category) may pertain to what comes later on, we'll ask you to hold that particular one  for the end, so as not to spoil it for the rest. I just reread the first 112 pages, that's good stuff~!

And I reread last night  the absolutely CHARMING "A Regional Muse" in the back of the book, totally delightful, as was she in person, you're really in for a treat this time!

This is exciting! Welcome, All!

Athena

• Hello from Atlanta, GA~USA
« Reply #64 on: May 18, 2009, 10:47:08 AM »
Hi Ginny,  It's good to see you back at your computer!  :D
"Better by far you should forget and smile than that you should remember and be sad." ~ Christina Rossetti.

Gumtree

« Reply #65 on: May 18, 2009, 12:52:27 PM »
Hi Ginny: I knew it wouldn't be long before we 'saw' your smiling face.

I haven't even peeked inside Night Villa  but the comments here have made me so curious about it that I can hardly wait to start the reading the first 100 pages... well 102 if we're being exact.

JoanR

« Reply #66 on: May 18, 2009, 01:49:35 PM »
So very happy to see you back, Ginny!!!!  I knew that there's probably nothing that could keep such an irrepressible lady down for long!

Everyone should take a look at Carol Goodman's Home Page (listed in the heading) for an introduction to this charming and talented person and for an insight into her research and writing methods.

When we finish with this discussion, I want to read "The Sonnet Lover".  I've read 3 of her other books and do like her writing a lot.

Pedln - when are you coming to NY??  Hope to see you somehow!

Frybabe

« Reply #67 on: May 18, 2009, 02:23:31 PM »
Yea! Ginny is back.

I am in the middle of The Seduction of Water. It is totally absorbing. While the main character, Iris, is researching the connections and parallels between her mother's life and her writing, she is also discovering the parallels between her life and her mother's. Unlike a book I gave up on earlier because the plot got bogged down in minute details, Ms. Goodman's use of descriptive detail is just right for me.

EdithAnne

« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2009, 07:41:42 PM »
That is wonderful, ginny, that you are able to work on your computer again!  I was so sorry to hear of your accident.  Please note: many prayers have been sent your way.
     I will be tuning in to The Night Villa but also am still in Pakistan with Three Cups of Tea. After reading all the posts, I am anxious to begin reading it. 
     I also am a Latin student of ginny's - we are on spring break right now!

winsummm

« Reply #69 on: May 18, 2009, 08:20:15 PM »
languages: I had latin in the eighth and ninth  grade followed by four years of spanish. my mom sang lider in italian, so did I  for a while and in all, I sang in  five languages which  helped with the linkages when spoken,  so the language inserts are interesting to me.  so far I find that the spanish I know helps me with the   Italian I find in the text. They are very similar. This is a group of latin scholars and some of that is coming back too. the endings within the declensions i.e. "orum and i." . .now and then a word, puella means pretty. . . a look into the past for me.

thimk

winsummm

« Reply #70 on: May 18, 2009, 09:20:10 PM »
 I just remembered puella is girl??? and pulcra is pretty as applied to  girl ???
and do modifiers precede or follow the noun???

There are all sorts of little things tucked away in this 81 year old mind. The folks I'm with bring them to the fore. These discussions serve to awaken them and then the associations bring on more and more. . .It's a kind of playground for my mind. which makes me . . . . an intellectual JOCK.

claire
thimk

ALF43

« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2009, 08:52:57 AM »
winsumm- It's a good thing that Carol Goodman isn't peeking in on us right now because I'm going out on a "Latin limb." 
 Unlike you, I couldn't even remember until I read your post what pulcra meant but strangely I remember these acronyms I learned in the 9th grade.
  NGDAAV  I used them to learn the inflections & recited them to myself in class
NO GARY DIDN'T ACTUALLY ACCUSE ANDY VERBALLY.   (Gary was my brother)

How, I ask, after a ga-zillion yrs. can I remember that and forget the word declention?
This should be fun.  I am rereading the first 112 pages for June 1st and can not believe how much more I've learned this time around (Carol is an extremely complicated and clever writer.)  I hope that I will be able to read all of my notes.  I have spent sometime reviewing some of the Gods, Goddesses and Greek writers, to spark this old brain.

Welcome Edithann- Are you like Lily Tomlin's Edith Ann? ::)

EdithAnne

« Reply #72 on: May 19, 2009, 02:37:19 PM »
Ha! Ha! No, not quite.  We have a cairn terrier named Edy, but we call her EdithAnne.  My friends in Latin class call me EA, which is just fine with me.  I have three more pages to read in Cups of Tea and then its on to The Night Villa.  I am usually a lurker so I may not ber posting much, but I thoroughly enjoy the posts and read everyone of them.

ALF43

« Reply #73 on: May 19, 2009, 02:55:47 PM »
 ;D- EDITH, EDITH ANN OR  EA-  which ever you prefer.  I am willing to bet that you, as a Latin student will be unable to restrain yourself from posting and asking questions.  Carol in a plethora of classical information and "lurking" only will be difficult.  (Betcha we'll see a lot of you.)

Steph

« Reply #74 on: May 19, 2009, 05:19:38 PM »
Oh me, I go away and Ginny manages to break something. I will be home for the discussion, at least most of it..Have the book and will try patiently not to read ahead.. Sigh. I love reading in one big gulp..
OK.. Alf, take care of the patient. I suspect that getting better will not help the patience..
Stephanie and assorted corgi

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #75 on: May 19, 2009, 06:12:02 PM »
After meeting and listening to Carol as we sat in the Board Room of the Hilton in NYC (we were really grand that day and so was the weather!) I will, of course, be here.  I've had my book for some time now waiting for this discussion.  My older sister (who is 84) is flying in from MA on the 3rd to be with me for 2-3 weeks so I may not be in here faithfully, but will follow along as the opportunity arises.

WELCOME TO SENIORLEARN, CAROL,  and come back often to discuss another book with us.  We could use your expertise as an author!

ALF43

« Reply #76 on: May 19, 2009, 06:34:04 PM »
ELLA- you are always welcome anywhere, anytime!  Tell Cindy to join us as well.  She has had the privledge of meeting Carol, as well.

Steph- I know exactly what you mean.  One big gulp!  ;D
 Hurry back.  Are you in TN now?

winsummm

« Reply #77 on: May 19, 2009, 06:57:09 PM »
the structure of this book is interesting to me. It procedes to tell two stories paralleling each other but related all at the same time and not just with quotes.  However I find myself skipping to pick up the story line that has just switched. I did that with the Oz books too when I was a kid.

This is much more extensive. Phineas story feels like it could be happening today even though it takes place in the first century AD. We just had an earthquake here that made the news, seemed to be relevant to what I was reading and I almost expected a volcano to errupt  at the same time.

claire
thimk

Mippy

« Reply #78 on: May 20, 2009, 09:31:01 AM »
Hi to everyone and to Ginny, our intrepid DL ~
I've read the delightful book and will try to participate as much as time allows.
I've been a student in Ginny's Latin classes since the first 101 class started 5 (?) years ago!

Welcome, Carol Goodman!   We seniors are so very lucky to have your participation!
quot libros, quam breve tempus

Gumtree

« Reply #79 on: May 21, 2009, 01:09:15 AM »
I started Night Villa last night - delicious - interesting and intriguing - can't wait to read more.