Author Topic: Our Wild Days: Creating the Good Life on SeniorLearn  (Read 25974 times)

PatH

• BooksDL
Re: Our Wild Days: Creating the Good Life on SeniorLearn
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2015, 06:46:12 PM »

Regardless if you've posted with us for 20 years or joined us 2 months ago, help us capture our golden "Wild Days" as we celebrate the memories of our best and memorable experiences discussing books together on SeniorLearn. Yes, "life is Good."

We have a "Plan" for celebrating our memories - "The Plan" helps us focus but more, "The Plan" is designed to assure that we give texture to our many memories regardless of books read and discussed last month, last year, or going on 20 years ago.

"The Plan" - Every two days, new topics will be introduced - If a forgotten memory creeps in days later feel free to post adding more depth to the focus questions we had featured earlier in our Legacy discussion.

Questions to help us Focus our Memories

THREE Days for these Questions
Wed. Thur. Fri. OK we need some lists – Remember High School when we made lists of our favorite things from colors to cookies to movie stars  - Well we need Lists - Lists in units of 10 would be great.

Aug. 19~20~21   – 10 of your favorite Books
  – 10 of your favorite Books read and discussed on SeniorNet/Learn
  – 10 of your favorite Authors
  – 10 of your favorite Characters

Aug. 19~20~21   – 10 of your favorite movies that were books
  – 10 of your favorite phrases from the books we have read
  – 10 new bits of information you learned from our in-depth book discussions.
  – 10 of your favorite or most remembered discussions here on SeniorLearn.

If you have just joined us or as a reminder, here are the questions from the past few days.

• Monday & Tuesday: While reading with us which discussions provided a profound moment for you? Was it because of new information or an aha way of looking at things or noticing for the first time the beauty of the words or reading how others saw the story similar or very different from how you saw it?
  • Do you remember the first book that you joined SeniorLearn? Were you nervous or so filled with thoughts you just had to share – Tell us what you remember?
  • Which discussion provided you with the more memorable feeling of a shared community? Tell us about it.

• Wednesday & Thursday: Which book do you remember not being able to contain yourself and sitting down reading the entire book in one swoop and then tried to post as if you did not know what happens next.
  • Of the books you've read, which would you have liked to magically enter and as what character – would you have changed any part of the story? How would your change have affected the outcome?
  • What kind of devise do you use when you post – do you eat or drink while posting, what do you enjoy? If you post on a full size computer, in what room is it located or, if a handheld device do you post from home or on the road? Tell us how you 'pull up your chair' - Are you still in your jammies or do you post after chores are done? Do you read during the day, before bed or in bed?

• Saturday & Sunday   Which of the stories we have read reminded you of events from your life? What in your mind was the wildest, off beat story that we discussed?
  • Of the many authors who posted while we read one of their books, did any one author stand out for you and if so tell us how and why?
  • Do you usually buy or borrow - Buyers, after the discussion do you hang on to the book, give it away or even sell it? Borrowers, when you return it, do you tell those in the library about any of the tidbits we shared during our discussion?

Need a memory nudge? Here are links to our Archived Discussions. SeniorNet books are listed alphabetically and NOT by the discussion date. SeniorLearn discussions are listed by date. 

Discussion Leader: Barb

bellamarie

« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2015, 07:05:55 PM »
The book I thought was just too frustrating and wild reading for me was Possession by A.S.Byatt.  Just to give you an example the last comment I posted in the discussion was:  You all have been such fun, and I enjoyed you all more than the book!  Have a great summer and hope to share another book with you soon.  Just NOT Byatt for me.  LOL Ciao!

Ginny replied:   Gum and Marcie, I'm so impressed that you can recall Ash, but I agree with you Gum: I think that gets right at the heart of the problem with this book - the poems and stories just don't stay in the mind. As reader I had to backtrack constantly to  sort out the parallels being drawn instead of being able to just nod wisely and say to myself 'just so' or some such.   I agree, to me it was such an amorphous mess  that forced rather than invited the reader to try to figure out what was going on, I never had a foothold on anything. And that was deliberate on Byatt's part. I think.

That book turned me inside out and upside down!!!
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

bellamarie

« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2015, 07:11:59 PM »
Of the many authors who posted while we read one of their books, did any one author stand out for you and if so tell us how and why?

Carol Goodman was one of most favorite authors who joined our book discussion, but Annie Barrows who was co author of Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - by Mary Ann Shaffer & Annie Barrows, is certainly the one who stuck out the most for me.  She and I became friends and were emailing each other back and forth for some time after the book discussion closed.  She was so kind and gracious and shared some personal feelings with me about her Aunt Mary Ann and their family get togethers.  I will always cherish these saved emails.
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2015, 07:15:23 PM »
Thanks Pat was not on during that last post from Jonathan -

With all these books mentioned that we read of course I have to take a look and see what we did and what we were saying.

Jonathan I forgot Break, Blow, Burn I think that was a book of short stories that we did over one summer - yep gotta go find it now -

Books about Mountain Climbing and I wonder if there is or will be a book about the 85 year old women who this summer scaled Kilimanjaro. The news indicated she was from Arizona and the oldest to have completed the climb.

Bellamaria I believe that was the second time we attempted Possession by A.S.Byatt - so many allusions and outright book titles of other authors and books in the Byatt does make reading her work a daunting task doesn't it.  I think a really good annotated copy of Possession would go a long long way.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2015, 07:26:02 PM »
Another one while I was writing Bellamaria - ah Annie Barrows - what a treasure trove of correspondence you must have - that is special.

Which reminds me - back when FairAnna was still with us and doing Poetry for nearly 2 years we were focused exclusively on one poet a month - both older deceased and new poets - we did a month with Joy Harjo of Muskogee Creek heritage and I was enchanted with her work - I get every book she published. Joy Harjo posted with us during the month. Then several years later I emailed and asked a question - I could not have been more thrilled than if I had received an email from a world leader or even the Pope himself - and so I can imagine your delight corresponding with Annie Barrows. 
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Steph

« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2015, 09:09:20 AM »
Ginny...The wooden clogs are all over both Holland and Switzerland. They are always carefully placed on the stoop next to the back door and always worn over some sort of shoe or slipper.. They last forever according to the wearers. You just have to get the right kind of wooden... My husbands grandparents came from Switzerland and he still has relatives there and when we visited, I asked about the clogs.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2015, 11:45:04 AM »
So many memories and so little time ;)!  My first discussion was Snow Falling On Cedars.  I had found SN looking for senior sites and book discussions.  That was back in '97!  Ella and I arrived together on SN and her tag under her name was From the middle of Ohio?  So I kept asking where in Ohio and she finally told me "Gahanna".  Hahahaha! How surprised she was that we came from the same town and that our kids had graduated from the same high school.  At the time, I lived in the Atlanta area but was moving back to Gahanna.  We met for lunch at Bob Evans and have been close friends ever since.  So off to NYC we went in '98 for the first SN Books and Lit trip to meet some of the people we had met online.  No one went alone----we all took friends or relatives with us.  Judy Laird came with her oldest friend and they both brought their daughters.  We were finally able to put faces to names.!  Thank goodness for Leo House and Joan Pearson's knowledge of it.  We were there with SN in '98 and with SL in 2008.  Along the way we have bid farewell to many of our online friends thru their passing or their newest place to keep up with----FACEBOOK! Yep, me too. 

Some of my favorite discussions were Devil in The White City by Eric Larsen, the story of the building of the Transcontinental Railroad by Stephen Ambrose. Then Abraham and Walking the Bible by Bruce Feilor.  I met Feilor at a talk he gave here in Columbus.  He had just spent a year in chemo and in partial removal of his leg due to cancer.  Delightful young man.   Also Ella and I met Pete Hamil when he came to discuss his writing at the Bexley(suburb of Columbus Ohio) Read Along (year long) meeting.  We both asked him if he would join us online discussing one of his books.  Can't remember if he did. ;)

Many times I bought the books we were discussing but as time went on, the library became my books of choice. :D  I was keeping too many books already!

I miss our games that we played on SN.  I actually won one early in my life on SN.  Author was Tracy Kidder and the book was The Soul of a New Machine.  I read that book in 1983 and really have liked his other books also.
Remember meeting Thomas Hoving in NYC and Studs Terkel in Chicago and David McCulough in DC.
One time when I was in the hospital for 2 weeks(INR wouldn't settle), I remember that we had discussed the book about Renoir and the painting of of The Luncheon of the Boating Party. So Joan P. went to meet the book's author, Susan Vreeland for lunch? and they went to the museum in DC where the painting was on exhibit. So she sent me a picture of herself and the painting and Susan Vreeland.   And a delightful little book about the painting.  Sure cheered me up :) 

This group of readers and posters has added a whole new layer to my life.

Remember Ginny and Alf flying to see Pat Westerdale?  And wasn't it Pat Westerdale and Ginny who went to see the DL in MN. before she passed?  And the classical music man from Canada who went to visit Eloise as she prepared to try on those angel wings?

I hate to admit that it is 11:30am and I have been sitting at my downstairs
laptop for several hours wearing my PJ's and babbling along.  I must leave my memories and get dressed for brunch with my SO.  Later gator! :D :D
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

bellamarie

« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2015, 01:23:00 PM »
WOW! Annie, you and Ella have got some miles between you, and how exciting to have the opportunity to meet all those different authors.  Do you remember back years ago, not sure how many, you and Ella were going to come meet me halfway, since I live in Toledo, Ohio?  I'm kinda thinking it was when Ella fell and broke her leg or hip on ice in a parking lot.  Gosh, I hope my memory is serving me well on the details.  Anyway, wouldn't it be fun if we all could try a common place to meet in the next year or so?  Let's see what we all can do to make it happen.

3.   Do you usually buy or borrow the books we discuss?
      - Buyers, after the discussion do you hang on to the book, give it away or sell it?
      - Borrowers, when you return it, do you tell those in the library about any of the tidbits we shared during our discussion?

I used to always go buy my books for the discussions because I would highlight in the pages or write along the sides.  Then I began using my library and having a notebook and pen beside me all the time.  And lo and behold.....I decided to buy ebooks so I could easily access the books, and highlight and make notes, along with hunting for info on the search engines readily.  Now, I am back to really liking having a book in my hand.  Nothing can replace the feel of a book.  I still use my computer and ipad tablet, but I have been making lots of trips to the library with my grandkids, so I've loved having a book in hand.  The only problem is our discussions go past the return dates and luckily since they consider me a senior now that I turned 63, I no longer am charged a late fee.  Imagine that! When I call the library ahead of time to have the books placed on hold, I generally will find myself having a conversation with the person on the phone about our online group. I just recently have been sharing my books with others.  I have kept all the ones I have purchased we have discussed, because I like looking on my bookshelf and seeing them and remembering our discussions.  The ones on my ipad I keep.  If I let someone borrow any books I assume I am not going to get them back, so I consider if I want to have them or not before loaning them out.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2015, 01:31:49 PM »
So many memories, so much to want to say, so little time.  Ann Alden -- was it Jane and PatW who went to see Lorrie in MN, shortly before she left us.  I remember reading The Ladies of Covington and THe Lovely Bones, both with Lorrie as DL. And thought how brave it was of her to be so candid in sharing her griefs and tragedies.

JoanK -- love hearing about your T-shirts. (I"m in t-shirt and jam bottoms right now.)  It's a T-shirt from the Washington (state) Coalition Against Censorship, and has CENSORED emblazoned across the chest, listing such titles as Catch 22 and The American Heritage Dictionary

Stand-out authors -- there are many.  Annie Barrows, as Bellamarie has mentioned. Matthew Pearl is one of may favorites -- he shared so much along with us in Dante Club and also The Last Dickens.  Paul Collins -- remember Sixpence House and Hay on Rye?  We also discussed Not Even Wrong, his history about autism.  At one point I had corresponded with his wife, also an author, and she told how they had moved from the West Coast to Iowa City, where they found a special kindergarten that met the needs of their son.  I often think of that family and wonder how they are doing.  And a more recent author -- Helen Simonson, who took time to meet with us and answer all our questions about Major Pettigrew.

But it's you all who are the major stand-outs, and I don't want to start listing names, except for the first two people I met in person --  at the 2002 National Book Festival-- Ginger W and Annafair. And after that I didn't feel like such a newbie any more.

Ginny, thanks for the film info.  Definitely want to see that.  I remember seeing the earlier film at the I-Max years ago. Those ice stairs, having to go up them, and then the only way to get back was to go down them.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2015, 05:01:13 PM »
JONATHAN: that was it. Thank you. I'd like o find it and bread it again. That man can write!

GINNY mentioned my big move from Maryland to California. I wouldn't have been able to do it without Seniornet. I wanted to move, because my daughter and grandchildren are here, and I wanted to get to know the children and be part of their lives. But I was afraid of moving where I had no friends, and becoming too dependent on my daughter for social life. Then I realized: I take my friends with me wherever I go, as long as I have a computer. This gave me the last bit of courage I needed.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2015, 03:41:54 AM »
Interesting Steph that your husbands people are from Switzerland - what part - what language do they speak?

OH Annie thank you, thank you for sharing all your memories and they were dozes - the history of SeniorNet/Learn in one post with all the connections we have made over the years - terrriffffic

Pedln you do have some good memories of several authors don't you - how special - and then meeting some of the others in D.C. - nice memories aren't they and yes, once we meet we really feel so connected. I know the meetup in Chicago did that for me even with the hilarious debacle of the Blackstone hotel closing as we arrived with room reservations in hand. Of course then, it was not quite so hilarious but our fearless group leaders worked out a great and remarkable alternative.

And JoanK my word that is a tribute to this group. To think you felt this online group was companionable enough that you took from it the courage needed to move from one end of this nation to the other - Wow - now that is a statement that I bet many of us will hold dear to our hearts - what an exalted endorsement to SeniorNet/Learn online friendships built on a common interest. 

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2015, 03:55:49 AM »
Ok next set of focus question that are in the heading along with all the preceding questions listed in the lower part of the heading.

Monday & Tuesday   1.   Do you track the books you have read or the books you plan to read?
       - Do you have a stack of books TBR?
       - While reading do you underline passages or slip a marker to note certain phrases?
       - If you keep your books do you ever go back to find some passage half remembered?
       - Is there one book in your collection above all others with the most saved passages?

Aug. 17 ~ Aug. 18   2.   Are there any discussions that you did not join and now regret you did not read the book with the group?
       - Which book is it that you regret not joining?
       - Have you since read it or, is it still in your TBR pile?

Aug. 17 ~ Aug. 18    3.   Have you read a book on your own and then turned to our archived discussion after or while reading the book?
       - Did that help or open your eyes to new and different aspects of the story?

Aug. 17 ~ Aug. 18    4.   Had you seen the movie of a book we were discussing before the discussion and if so, did it make a difference how you understood the story and the characters?
       - Most movies reduce the number of subplots to one overall issue raised in the story. Did you notice this in any movie you saw before or after we discussed the book?
       - Did the movie focus the narrative for you or did you feel the story was changed or incomplete?

Steph

« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2015, 08:45:40 AM »
Tims grandparents came from Reitnau, province of Berne.. a teeny town in the German speaking area of Switzerland. Most of the remaining relatives live in the various cities of Switzerland because they are mostly professionals..
My TBR stacks of book reach all over my house. I keep a variety on hand and also haunt thrift shops, used book stores, etc. I use my Kindle when I travel, just easier than a lot of books, but also a few paperbacks in case I get stuck somewhere and cannot rev up the Kindle.
Our last trip for Senior Learn for me was the bookies who rented one of the mansions on Sullivans Island(?) north of Charleston,one winter and had a blast. Ginny planned the whole thing. The last NY trip was 2010 early fall, not a good year for me, so I did not go.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2015, 01:22:34 PM »
The Isle of Palms. Unfortunately all those trip archives seem to be gone. Who could forget that mammoth house we rented ocean front and Judy Laird dropping her photo chip  IN the backstairs tour of the Aquarium in the turtle pond? Didn't the turtle eat it? And the fun we had with author Mary Alice Monroe who came with her photographer friend. That was a great trip. I am still hoping I can find some of those photos somewhere. I have them all, it's a matter of finding them, they are lost to view with the change.

Adoannie, how good to see you again! Hope you and Ralph are doing well? We still have the same games here that we did on SeniorNet, in fact we have more. They are here: http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?board=50.0

Oh our Bookfests!

Thomas Hoving, who will ever forget him? Some of us corresponded with him for years until his death. Larger than life. I recall writing him when the Euphonious Krater was demanded back to Italy, he was the original one who called it the "hot pot," he had known all along. Quoted in the news.  I've got a photo of Pearson somewhere with him and me with him. I treasure it. And one of him with the Bury St. Edmund's Cross. What a gracious, kind person he was.

Chicago and Studs Terkel. That was the one Pearson was running thru the halls with a blanket filled with broken glass. I will never forget that as long as I live. Who on earth could forget that? hhahahaa And  Ella was interviewed on TV about the closing of the Blackstone Hotel,  I think the name was.

NYC again, Adoannie did a good job with that one. The  Soiree with our two authors: with our authors Bruce Frankel and Maryann McFadden.  And then at the Metropolitan Museum of Art:

Bellamarie mentioned Carol Goodman, another NYC trip, how lovely  she was. How we enjoyed meeting her mother whom she brought along. Wasn't it the Ritz hotel? On the same day they were expecting some Saudi Prince, I almost never got in the hotel at all for the security.

I sure hope I can find those photos. Have got one of Robby at the Beach (who by the way sends greetings, he's still going strong in his practice and hopes someday to come in again) on the beach for his morning walk. And Eloise and Annafair. And Pat Westerdale.

I think it would be fun to get up a montage of  photos some may have since ours are lost of all the previous bookfests. How MANY we had in DC alone!  And here he is, naturally I kept a separate copy of this one, I mean how many times in your life do you stand next to Wally Lamb?

He was walking thru the tents for the exhibitors at the National Book  Festival looking at the exhibits like an ordinary person and he stopped to see what we had.  He had been signing books  where the line to meet him had stretched out longer than any other I have seen, that was when he had been on Oprah. She loved his book. People were saying it had changed their lives.  So that started a wonderful project which lasted a long time and hopefully benefited a lot of people.

The two SeniorNet Conventions. One in  Wilmington as Larry remembers in the Library and one in  DC, we had a big crowd then. I will never forget that Roosevelt Monument and the bread line. And PatH. I don't know if she wants this mentioned but she had a nasty fall (it was pitch black dark) and we went to the ER where she was about as composed as I have ever seen any human. SO impressive. I said I must remember this because it was hysteria all around us and there she was, calm as a cucumber with her medical history ready on some sort of electronic device. Boy howdy. The scene was like something out of a TV show on ER's.

And other trips: yes we did go out to see Lorrie, Pat Westerdale and I in the snow. I couldn't get over how people drove in the snow  like that, even tho Philly was my home town, I had forgotten!

And Andrea and I did go see PatW as she was recuperating, what a lovely place she lived in, what wonderful people. And Andy (ALF) is no slouch herself.

There's not one trip we did together we don't have lasting (sometimes hilarious) memories of, they were all worthwhile and a lot of fun.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2015, 06:46:10 PM »
Great Ginny now you know what we need to do I photo by photo name the folks who are photographed - the first photo - the big crowd scene around the table with I am assuming the authors - I count 17 heads - starting from left to right lets see if we can get some names - where ever that was taken I am not sure but I do not think I am among that group so we will have to depend on your memory or anyone who was in attendance and is still posting with us.

1 wears a black dress with a scarf looped and hanging round her neck
2 wears black with a turtle neck and her hair is pulled back
3 wears blue with white hair
4 wears black and wears glasses and is peaking out from the back row
5 wears a short sleeved white Tshirt or blouse with a black vest
6 front and center with a grey jacket having white lapels and a black dress with grey hair
7 Some one really peaking out from the back - think the tippy top of her dress is black
8 Wears a bright pinkish color sweater or jacket and a striped shirt with a scarf
9 In the back with long black hair and wearing black
10 black dress, gold chain and grey, probably black and white patterned shirt/jacket
11 lighter brown color hair wearing bangs, a necklace and a black dress
12 white hair, black dress and a lovely broach on a chain sitting on the dress
13 Way in the back with just white hair showing and a bit of forehead
14 wears glasses, an aqua Tshirt under a black jacket
15 In back with reddish hair pinkish blouse black jacket
16 Brown hair grey blouse dark navy jacket with a color
17 Is you Ginny with your very light blond hair and short sleeved black dress.

Do you think using the number a few names can be associated with them

The next photo I think is from the same event with 12 faces smiling at us - some I can see as the same from the above photo and a few I think I recognize but would need to look into our archives to get names.
Your there and I can see Annie or maybe it is Jeryn wearing the lavender jogging suit - oh and I know that first from the left in the lavender Tshirt and grey jacket but would have to find her name - Gregory or something comes to mind. Number 5 wearing the flowered shirt I think is Alf/Andy/Nurse Ratchet and number 9 with the very white hair, white classic collared blouse and black sweater I think is the gal from Canada, Eloise I would have to look up her name, last name I think started with a P. son who lived in Switzerland

Of course the last is you and Wally Lamb - great photo - what memories - can we get a few names though - that would really tie it together. Maybe - yes, why not put the two photos in the library and see if anyone who has not shared with us on this site may be able to help ID some of these folks.   

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2015, 06:47:18 PM »
Pedln...good memory...Pat W picked me up and we made a quick trip to see Lorrie in St. Paul, as well.  She was unable to get out much then as she was on oxygen full time, as I recall. 

Jane

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2015, 06:51:01 PM »
So many memories and so little time😃. My first book was Snow Falling On Cedars.  I had found SN by looking for senior sites. That was back in '97! Ella and I arrived at the same time!  And in '98, we met each other F2F.  Our kids attended the same high school!☺️☺️☺️ So off to NYC and the first SN BOOKS AND LIT trip to meet some friends from our online discussions! No one came alone but brought sisters or friends.  Judy Laird came with her oldest friend and they both had their daughters with them.  We all were finally able to put faces to names!  Thank goodness and Joan Pearson for Leo House.  We were there with SN IN '97 and with SL in 2008.  And along the way we have lost  many posters thru their passing or their newest place to keep up with----FACEBOOK!!!
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2015, 07:02:39 PM »
Annie and Jane can either of you put names to some of the faces in the photos that Ginny provided - that would be so great if only one or two and slowly we may be able to whittle down these un-named faces.

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2015, 07:05:00 PM »
I cannot as I was not able to attend any of these events.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2015, 07:07:08 PM »
Oh that's right, Jane went too, to see Lorrie! I remember that now. Was that before or after Pat and I went, Jane? 

There's no need to ask in the Library, all the information on the photos is in the Soiree in NYC folder, the last one left here on the website: here:

http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=1459.msg94551#msg94551

Front row, seated: Authors Bruce Frankel and Maryann McFadden

Left to right (scroll sideways  to see everybody)
:

Mary, Tom (Maryann's friend), Eloise, Judy's friend Liz, Joan R, Zulema, Pedln (hiding), Ann, Judy (Pedln's daughter) Andrea, Meghan (Joan R's daughter) Gay from the UK, Lucy's friend, Vivian,, Deb (Maryann's friend), Lucy, Ginny. Not shown: Patrick, Maryann's husband.

Morning at the Met: at the Metropolitan Museum of Art's American Wing

Left to right: Lucy Ginny, Mary (in back) Zulema, Andrea (ALF), Ann, Vivian, Meghan (JoanR's daughter), Eloise, Joan R, Gay (Bow Belle) from the UK, Pedln.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2015, 08:05:07 PM »
Ah so - Terrific - thanks so much - Does anyone else have a photo of a past event that involved those from SeniorLearn or SeniorNet - it would be fun to see them.

This may be a photo to post on Sunday again - On Sunday I thought we could have a Memorial Day listing all the names we can of those who are no longer with us - just to have everyone that contributed to this phenomenal effort over the years recognized. We really do stand on their shoulders and it would be a simple post - no memorializing just who we remember and if we remember them from an event or a discussion that is great. Reviewing the archives there were so many names.

But lots to talk about till Sunday - we have these two days of questions to share about and then we will have some lists to develop and share later in the week - so much yet to help us really get to the story of SeniorLearn and SeniorNet book discussions and our memories of our time reading with each other.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2015, 08:09:54 PM »
The questions posed for today and tomorrow - I'll start - No, I did not unfortunately keep a list or a booklet listing the books I have read either from our discussions or over the years my own reading - always intended but just never did it - at least the books I have purchased from amazon are listed in the past annual receipts.

I absolutely hate writing in or marking up a book - there was a time I did underline passages with one of those highlighters and I have purchased used books that have notes written in the margins and passages underlined but somewhere along my reading life I just could not mark up a book so I slip bits of paper between the pages - sometimes an empty envelope laying nearby and have even resorted to a tissue from my handy tissue box (allergies mean always tissues) - a friend gave me a box with all these little colorful tabs that self stick but not so hard they cannot be removed - and yes, I am forever going back to review a passage from a book read sometimes years ago.   

And yes, my falling apart paperback 1958, Doubleday Image copy of Ascent of Mount Carmel translated by E. Allison Peers still, after I removed many has a dozen papers sticking up in various colors, sizes and heights from the book. Years ago now that was so satisfying when I visited the Carl Sandburg museum/home in NC and saw he too had lots of paper place marks poking out of nearly every book in his extensive library - Did my heart good to know there was someone of his stature who did the same thing. 

Now how do you keep track of important phrases or even how do you find in the book we are discussing the sentences or phrases that are directing your thoughts?

Steph

« Reply #62 on: August 18, 2015, 07:55:10 AM »
we had a blast in Isle of Palms.. Game night brought on the competitive gene in our lovely gentle ladies.. and Robbie supplied the chocolate to keep us up all night.

bellamarie

« Reply #63 on: August 18, 2015, 09:44:18 AM »
What beautiful pictures, thank you so much for sharing.  It's fun seeing faces of some of the people we are discussing our books with.  A fine looking group!!

2.   Are there any discussions that you did not join and now regret you did not read the book with the group?
       - Which book is it that you regret not joining?
       - Have you since read it or, is it still in your TBR pile?

I almost did not join Hot Zone by Richard Preston.  I did not think I would be the least bit interested in learning or discussing the Ebola virus.  Shockingly, I actually am glad I took the time to read and discuss it. 

My TBR pile of books are actually logged into my ipad under ibooks.  When I hear about a book one of you all have read and think I might like to read it, I go to my ibook account, download a sample and then keep it in the list of books I have not read yet. 

cynthiel

« Reply #64 on: August 18, 2015, 10:48:47 AM »
Hi.  I just discovered your website/forum and I am eager to participate. Immediately I was drawn in by Jonathan's post about being from a large family where it is was hard to get a word in, also my experience.  It has led me to form a little writing group of women to share our personal histories.  Some wanted to mine the memories of older family members, others like me wanted to share stories of youth and the present to have her point of view heard.  We read our stories aloud to each other.  Two members have taught English as a second language at a community college in town.  A love of reading binds us as well. 

I look forward to discussing and hearing about your lives as we penetrate the joys and mysteries of reading and writing together.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #65 on: August 18, 2015, 12:36:14 PM »
Hi, cynthiel, and welcome!  You picked a good time to find us, while we're in the middle of reminiscing.  You'll be an old friend from the start.

Usually we have a book discussion going on where this discussion is, plus all the more general discussions--fiction, movies, mystery, non-fiction, poetry, and science fiction/fantasy.  There we tell about what we've been reading, compare notes, and get ideas from others for what to read next.  The Library is a catch-all, where we talk about all the categories, plus anything else we think of.

Join us, talk about what you like, make new friends.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #66 on: August 18, 2015, 12:49:32 PM »
Welcome cynthiel - so glad you found us - yes, we are sharing our memories - the combination of the years we were SeniorNet and now SeniorLearn are coming up this winter as 20 years - some of us have been a part of this reading discussion since the beginning and others, like you have found us along the way -

Hope you find some good discussion time and join with us as we read and discuss books together - Our usual format is a book a month but then at times we have only devoted a couple of weeks to a short story and other times two months to an in-depth tome.

This month as you found us we are breaking from our usual pattern and we are each sharing some of our experiences reading and discussing books on SeniorLearn - Please poke around on the site and you will find other topics of conversation. The library is a general meeting place where some of us share the recent books we are privately reading.

So glad you found us and we look forward to your pulling up your chair and sharing your views on the books we read. We have not had a writing group but then who knows - that may be an addition others would also like to see added to SeniorLearn.

Some of our focus questions may interest you since they are not all about our history - we are using this format to mine our memories and to share a more intimate view of who we are - all the focus questions are in the heading on the top of the page. You cynthiel, as we all, are encouraged to share our experience from any of the focus questions covered so far. This discussion is using this format till next Tuesday and then if there are any memories that had not been explored using the focus questions we will share sorta à la carte.

We look forward to your posts cynthiel.

Bellamaria you use your Ipad far more than I do and it sounds like a good system - like most of us I am always in my minds eye 6 books ahead in what to read. Sometimes Amazon has a used copy that pops up for some ridiculous price like a penny and they have even had used books they sell with prime that the entire book is less than the typical shipping costs on a used book. So I grab the book - yep, a library of books yet to read.

I've picked up a couple of the books we were reading here on SeniorLearn on my kindle and frankly each time I get so frustrated and vow never again, but the price is good and if I am in a hurry I succumb. The reason for my frustration is I am so visual and if I want to go back to a passage that I need to review I have no way of knowing where it is - where as with a book in hand I can see the page and where about in the book it was located based on the thickness of the pages at that point when I first read the passage. So often a passage while reading is interesting but I never imagine it will be pivotal to the story.

Steph I've heard the stay at the Palms was one of the highlights for so many - I finally decided at the time not to go since I was still driving across the country during those years and I had only made the drive at Christmas to my daughter's in North Carolina so I just could not imagine doing it again to South Carolina - Part of the problem for me was I do not sleep when I stop at a hotel as I had several times making the trip to my daughter's and so, rather than tossing and turning and sitting up watching TV, only getting more tired I would drive straight through - From here to her house it took me from 15 to 19 hours according to the weather, traffic and if I took I-20 or I-10 - Going to the Palms would have meant I would be crashing, as I did visiting my daughter's, for a good day when I arrived - plus the long drive took me a couple of weeks when I returned home to feel really rested. Still working the heavy schedule that I kept that was a problem. So I passed and have alway had a heart jerk since that I did not go ahead and make the trip.

Hope you find a few more photos for us Ginny as you rummage through your travel collection. Seems to me there was a photo you shared a few years ago of you and Pat W and someone else in I think London or maybe Italy - hope you find it and can share that on Sunday when we do our memorial day.

Whoops Pat you were posting as I was writing - it is nice isn't it that cynthiel found us.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #67 on: August 19, 2015, 06:08:54 AM »
THREE Days for these Questions
Wed. Thur. Fri.   OK we need some lists – Remember High School when we made lists of our favorite things from colors to cookies to movie stars  - Well we need Lists - Lists in units of 10 would be great.

Aug. 19~20~21     – 10 of your favorite Books
  – 10 of your favorite books read and discussed on SeniorNet/Learn
  – 10 of your favorite Authors
  – 10 of your favorite Characters

Aug. 19~20~21      – 10 of your favorite movies that were books
  – 10 of your favorite phrases from the books we have read
  – 10 new bits of information you learned from our in-depth book discussions.
  – 10 of your favorite or most remembered discussions here on SeniorLearn.

Yep, lots of lists but do not panic - we have 3 days and a fourth if needed...  :-*

bellamarie

« Reply #68 on: August 19, 2015, 10:13:23 AM »
Welcome Cynthiel!  I am so happy to see you found our discussion group.  I promise you will not be disappointed. The great thing about our group is you can post any time you want, and as often or as less as you want, and no one is going to interrupt you.  I come from a large family as well, Italians who talk all at one time, with hands moving in all directions. Being the second to the youngest of seven, I never seemed to find a way to get my voice heard over five sisters and a brother.  I love reading books and am a bit of a writer, with a few pieces published.  I have a children's book ready to submit when I finally get up my nerve.  My first granddaughter did all the illustrations for my book as she would spend her summers with me helping with my in home day care.  I hope to get back to writing now that I have retired, although I seem more busier than ever.  We here at Senior Learn have been sharing our memories over the past years, and I especially like how we are sharing where we usually settle in, and what we wear while posting.  Comfy clothes seem to be the most favorite choices, pjs, tees and sweats!  So get your cup of joe,  tea, cocoa, or whatever your drink may be, snuggle up in your favorite spot, and enjoy!

bellamarie

« Reply #69 on: August 19, 2015, 10:31:32 AM »
Barb, Yes, I can not live without my ipad.  We just got a new beautiful Apple store in our mall and I thought I had died and gone to Heaven!  My ipad was not charging the other day and I was mystified, since I had done all I knew to do to reboot, and go through the steps to figure it out.  I first started teaching Apple computers back in 1984, so I know there is very few things that can go wrong with these devices.  I finally gave in and took all my chargers, adaptors, cords and tablet to the new Apple store.  I was so impressed with how immediately a salesperson approached and was so friendly and willing to help me.  A technician was assigned to me and he tested everything, and was able to determine my two wall adaptors were no longer good, my cord had a tiny crack in it, and that I had some how managed to be using the wrong adaptors to charge my ipad.  As he was talking I was remembering throughout the summer my grandkids would bring their ipods, and iphones along with their chargers/adaptors and we seemed to have gotten each others mixed up.  He helped me for possibly thirty minutes, explained some things to me and had my ipad charging as we talked.  Left the store feeling so excited and the only cost was for the new cord and adaptor.  All the technician support and help was FREE!  I wish I had a dime for every time I have said, "I LOVE Apple!" over the past 30 yrs.  Like I told the tech, I just wish I would have taken the advice from the first Apple technician who came to our school who suggested I buy stock in Apple back in 1984.  I would have had a nice nest egg for my retirement.

Anyway.....when I read my ibooks on my ipad I use the capabilities of "highlighting", "bookmarking" and "notes" so when I want to go back and find something I just need to click and it's there.  Nothing will ever compare to a real book in hand, but I have gotten comfortable with ibooks now that I can use these capabilities.  I also love the extra tabs so I can keep my book open, and still search for things on the web, at the same time.

Whoa!!!   Those 10 of ..... and lists just gave me a bit of a panic attack.  It takes me back to being in school and opening my test and feeling overwhelmed!  I can maybe do 2 or 3 of each, but I know I won't manage 10.    :o

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #70 on: August 19, 2015, 10:45:49 AM »
I'm not very good at lists either.   I'm going to do mine in instalments.  But it doesn't take me even a second to come up with my absolute favorite quote from a discussion.  It's from the Iliad.  Nestor is one of the Greek warriors, elderly now, though still fighting, and respected both for his courage and his wisdom.  Agamemnon says to him:

Nestor, old sir! If only your knees
Were as strong as your spirit!

That's me, all right.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #71 on: August 19, 2015, 12:32:11 PM »
You make me feel envious Bellamarie - I have a family deep into technology - my son-in-law owns a computer store in South Carolina where my grandson has finally moved up from Savannah and is sharing the responsibility for about 50 employees but they are all about Microsoft and PCs - my first computer was an Apple and I loved it but since, felt disloyal attempting to choose other than through them and so my devices are no longer Apple.

OH dear did not think that naming 10 was like School - I just remember how we used to get a notebook and fold in half the first page so that on that half page we had these questions about our likes and on the full page behind it we wrote our answers so that when that full page was completed the next was a half page followed by a full page - we had usually a set of 20 questions on the folded half page and we would ask all our friends to full in their likes using this system. It was great fun and a lark as we discussed the merits of a movie, book, movie star, flavor of ice cream, favorite coke, candy, teacher, subject in school, color, fruit, on and on...

So please yes, just share what you feel is a fun share - this is to be like Toad, Ratty, Badger and Mole toasting a summer day while messing around in boats.

Hahaha I love it Pat - oh oh oh - knees as strong as your spirit - how perfect.

Somehow we will have to gather some of this - not sure yet how - but maybe a recap will happen as part of Saturday because that as a favorite quote is too good to let it go, buried in the posts.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #72 on: August 19, 2015, 01:45:08 PM »
I have so many quotes that I bring back to mind - my mother did that with EVERYTHING we said or at least that is how it seemed - we would ask a question about the most mundane thing and Mom would quote or break out in song with lyrics that were directly related to the question - I do not think that women ever said anything without starting her announcement or thought with a quote - one of my more joyful memories of my mother. Where I do not necessarily say my quote outloud, when I hear someone talking I smile in my head and make a connection.

The Harry Potter series gave me so many but these come to mind. 

Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.

Nothing like a nighttime stroll to give you ideas.

And then from one of my all time favorite books - A Child's Christmas in Wales -

It snowed last year too: I made a snowman and my brother knocked it down and I knocked my brother down and then we had tea.

When standing in the wet, smoky room, Jim's Aunt, Miss. Prothero, came downstairs and looks at the fireman in the smoke, cinders and melting snowballs and says, Would you like anything to read? Just love it... often when I am at loose ends looking for a book I remember that scene as well as, when I see someone acting ridiculous so that instead of getting myself in a twist I remember this scene.

Oh and in Mapp and Lucia they pepper their conversations with, la bella lingua and they say ta ta to each other with,  Au reservoir!   And seeing someone bluster how can you not think in your head of Major Benjy loudly saying, Qui-hi. Evidently a phrase he used when he called his servants in India. 

From One Hundred Years of solitude there is this fun, Cease, cows, life is short.

And this profound and simple logic - I love it. a person doesn’t die when he should but when he can.

But my all time favorite is long and I pull it out several times a year to read - the irony of it - the sadness of knowing the circumstance experienced where this logic is so right and appropriate and yet, the satire and the truth of it overwhelms me everytime - from Slaughter House Five.

“The visitor from outer space made a serious study of Christianity, to learn, if he could, why Christians found it so easy to be cruel. He concluded that at least part of the trouble was slipshod storytelling in the New Testament. He supposed that the intent of the Gospels was to teach people, among other things, to be merciful, even to the lowest of the low.

But the Gospels actually taught this:

Before you kill somebody, make absolutely sure he isn’t well connected. So it goes.

The flaw in the Christ stories, said the visitor from outer space, was that Christ, who didn’t look like much, was actually the Son of the Most Powerful Being in the Universe. Readers understood that, so, when they came to the crucifixion, they naturally thought, and Rosewater read out loud again:

Oh, boy–they sure picked the wrong guy to lynch _that_ time!

And that thought had a brother: “There are right people to lynch.” Who? People not well connected. So it goes.

The visitor from outer space made a gift to the Earth of a new Gospel. In it, Jesus really was a nobody, and a pain in the neck to a lot of people with better connections than he had. He still got to say all the lovely and puzzling things he said in the other Gospels.

So the people amused themselves one day by nailing him to a cross and planting the cross in the ground. There couldn’t possibly be any repercussions, the lynchers thought. The reader would have to think that, too, since the new Gospel hammered home again and again what a nobody Jesus was.

And then, just before the nobody died, the heavens opened up, and there was thunder and lightning. The voice of God came crashing down. He told the people that he was adopting the bum as his son, giving him the full powers and privileges of The Son of the Creator of the Universe throughout all eternity. God said this: From this moment on, He will punish horribly anybody who torments a bum who has no connections.”

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #73 on: August 19, 2015, 02:41:13 PM »
Oh, dear, that's so archetypical Vonnegut.  (Chuckle.)

bellamarie

« Reply #74 on: August 19, 2015, 07:31:36 PM »
One of my very favorite quotes, is from Gone With the Wind:

"I can't think about that right now. If I do, I'll go crazy. I'll think about that tomorrow.”
― Margaret Mitchell, Gone with the Wind

My very favorite book I would have to say is Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen 
A favorite quote from this book is when Elizabeth says this to herself after she reads Darcy's letter and realizes that she had no reason to despise him as she had.  It reminds me a bit of myself, when I realize I have a bit too much pride, clouding my own judgement.

"How despicably have I acted!' she cried. - 'I, who have prided myself on my discernment! - I, who have valued myself on my abilities!."

Another favorite book of mine is Let's Roll: Ordinary People, Extraordinary Courage by Lisa Beamer the wife of the hero Todd Beamer in the 911 attacks.  I read this book and it has stayed with me forever.  Todd was a father of two small boys, and when he wanted them to get busy he would say, "Let's roll." Just before he and the other passengers on United flight 93 stormed the terrorists, Todd said these two words to signal to try to attempt to prevent the plane from killing more people than the ones on the plane.

"Let's roll." will forever be in my mind as a reminder of the faith and courage this man had for his family, and country.

"WWWJD" (What Would Jesus Do) is also a quote I keep in the forefront of my mind.  I did not see the movie, nor hear the song, I only became familiar with it in teaching religion classes years ago.  I use it often while teaching my third grade CCD children.

Hind's Feet On High Places by Hannah Hurnard is yet another favorite book I hold dear to me.  This book helped me work through some very troubling times in my life and brought me to a clear understanding of what God wanted from me.  It is a Christian allegorical tale of Much-Afraid, a woman searching for guidance from God to lead her to a higher place.  One of my favorite quotes is:

And also:   "The Lord God is my strength, and he will make my feet like Hinds’ Feet, and he will make me to walk upon mine High Places."  [/b]      Habakkuk 3:19

Steph

« Reply #75 on: August 20, 2015, 08:40:33 AM »
Wow.. Quotes are not a big part of my lift, but some of those were powerful..
My favorite book, I reread every 5 years or so is totally unknown.. It is titled The Cheerleader and is by Ruth Doan Mcdougal. It is a very ordinary story of  a girl in New Hampshire and her two best friends all through high school.  Its value to me is that it is like someone had been listening to my life and made a book of it and made me realize how ordinary lives count in some strange ways..

Jonathan

« Reply #76 on: August 20, 2015, 03:18:02 PM »
Lucky you, Stephanie. And don't we all hope to find ourselves in the books we read. How helpful it might have been for Nestor to have read Habakkuk. Vonnegut does it for some of us, who are inclined to the surreal. Old Filth, discussed here, not long ago, brought the shock of recognition. And so it goes. But I'll always feel sorry for old Nestor. In our busy, clever times, even his wisdom might appear creaky.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #77 on: August 20, 2015, 04:54:24 PM »
Ah Bellamaria, to have some of Scarlett's fabulous ability to minimize any discomfort - we can all smile at ourselves with the wish to be as Scarlett - I seem to optimize the opposite grabbing onto any problem like a dog with its bone. And so the world goes round doesn't it... 

Yes, the Cheerleader, a perfect 1950s story that was our young lives - nice memory Steph

Jonathan - perfect - we are all tempted to be Babylonians at times - the world seems to be reviling in Babylonians in so many places and within so many enterprises down to our own desire to influence others as, impetuous people,
who sweep across the whole earth to seize dwellings not their own
... Then they sweep past like the wind and go on— guilty people, whose own strength is their god.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #78 on: August 20, 2015, 06:02:44 PM »
Ok my appreciation of the books that were my favorites on SeniorNet and SeniorLearn -

1.   Those Angry Days ~ Lynne Olson
2.   First Confession ~ Frank O'Connor
3.   The Moonstone ~ Wilkie Collins
4.   The Tempest ~ William Shakespeare
5.   Walden ~ Henry David Thoreau
6.   Becoming Madame Mao ~ Anchee Min
7.   Christmas Carol ~ Charles Dickens
8.   Mapp & Lucia ~ E. F. Benson
9.   One Hundred Years of Solitude ~ Gabriel García Márquez
10.   Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man ~ James Joyce

But then I loved Bleak House by Dickens and I loved the Blue Flower by Penelope Fitzgerald. And I loved The Red Tent by Anita Diamant Oh yes, and John Grisham’s Painted House and The Hare with Amber Eyes by Edmund de Waal and Richard III and even though I read it as a young girl I still loved discussing The Good Earth by Pearl Buck and Renato's Luck by dear Jeff Shapiro who joined us for so many days during the discussion but the story was a delight. Oh how do I make room, I cannot imagine being on a desert Island without a copy of A Child's Christmas in Wales and then there are the Harry Potter books we read filled with wonder, intrigue and such a sense of justice along with the foreboding of things to come.

bellamarie

« Reply #79 on: August 20, 2015, 11:20:59 PM »
Ooops sorry, I misunderstood and did not realize we were suppose to pick favorites from our archives here at Senior Net and Senior Learn.  Okay I am going to give this a shot, not in any particular order of favorites, except Jane Austen must be #1 with me.

1.  Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
2.  Emma by Jane Austen
3.  Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell
4.  Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson
5.  That Old Cape Magic by Richard Russo
6.  Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows
7.  Night Villa by Carol Goodman
8.  So Happy Together by Maryann McFadden
9.  Seven Sisters by Margaret Drabble
10. America's Prophet by Bruce Feiler

Many of these books I would never have picked out and read on my own.  I am thrilled to open my mind up to the many different genres we have chosen to tackle.  Some easy reads, others taking us back to the 14th and 18th Centuries, while others had us aimlessly cruising the shores of Cape Cod, or traveling to Paris, and then of course we could not leave out politics and religion.  We have spent many hours, days, weeks, months and years together snuggling up in our pjs, sweats, tees and slippers, with our favorite drink nearby.  I look forward to many more with all of you.