Author Topic: Our Wild Days: Creating the Good Life on SeniorLearn  (Read 25980 times)

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
Re: Our Wild Days: Creating the Good Life on SeniorLearn
« Reply #80 on: August 21, 2015, 01:41:26 AM »

Regardless if you've posted with us for 20 years or joined us 2 months ago, help us capture our golden "Wild Days" as we celebrate the memories of our best and memorable experiences discussing books together on SeniorLearn. Yes, "life is Good."

We have a "Plan" for celebrating our memories - "The Plan" helps us focus but more, "The Plan" is designed to assure that we give texture to our many memories regardless of books read and discussed last month, last year, or going on 20 years ago.

"The Plan" - Every two days, new topics will be introduced - If a forgotten memory creeps in days later feel free to post adding more depth to the focus questions we had featured earlier in our Legacy discussion.

Questions to help us Focus our Memories

Our Memorial to those who read and discussed books with us on both SenoirNet and SeniorLearn.

This is not a page to memorialize folks. It is to honor by mentioning those names we can remember whose shoulders we stand on today because of their contribution to this longest running book discussion on the WWW.

Past Members
Sunday Many names are in our Archived Book Discussions
  - Let's see if we can remember some of those names.

Aug. 23 Names of those who we know are no longer with us.
  – Names of those who never made it over from SeniorNet
  – Names of folks who no longer read with us.

Sunday 8/23 Hope you can catch us up to date about any of these folks
  – Or remember in what discussion you both were posting, that would be great.

If you have just joined us or need a reminder, here are the questions from the past few days.

• Monday & Tuesday: While reading with us which discussions provided a profound moment for you? Was it because of new information or an aha way of looking at things or noticing for the first time the beauty of the words or reading how others saw the story similar or very different from how you saw it?
  • Do you remember the first book that you joined SeniorLearn? Were you nervous or so filled with thoughts you just had to share – Tell us what you remember?
  • Which discussion provided you with the more memorable feeling of a shared community? Tell us about it.

• Wednesday & Thursday: Which book do you remember not being able to contain yourself and sitting down reading the entire book in one swoop and then tried to post as if you did not know what happens next.
  • Of the books you've read, which would you have liked to magically enter and as what character – would you have changed any part of the story? How would your change have affected the outcome?
  • What kind of devise do you use when you post – do you eat or drink while posting, what do you enjoy? If you post on a full size computer, in what room is it located or, if a handheld device do you post from home or on the road? Tell us how you 'pull up your chair' - Are you still in your jammies or do you post after chores are done? Do you read during the day, before bed or in bed?

• Saturday & Sunday: Which of the stories we have read reminded you of events from your life? What in your mind was the wildest, off beat story that we discussed?
  • Of the many authors who posted while we read one of their books, did any one author stand out for you and if so tell us how and why?
  • Do you usually buy or borrow - Buyers, after the discussion do you hang on to the book, give it away or even sell it? Borrowers, when you return it, do you tell those in the library about any of the tidbits we shared during our discussion?

• Monday & Tuesday: Do you track the books you have read or the books you plan to read? Do you have a stack of books TBR? While reading do you underline passages or slip a marker to note certain phrases. If you keep your books do you ever go back to find some passage half remembered. Is there one book above all others with the most saved passages?
  • Are there any discussions that you did not join and now regret you did not read the book with the group? Which book is it that you regret not joining? Have you since read it or, is it still in your TBR pile?
  • Have you read a book on your own and then turned to the archived discussion after or while reading the book? Did that help or open your eyes to new and different aspects of the story?
  • Had you seen the movie of a book we were discussing before the discussion and if so, did it make a difference how you understood the story and the characters? Most movies reduce the number of subplots to one overall issue raised in the story. Did you notice this in any movie you saw before or after we discussed the book? Did the movie focus the narrative for you or did you feel the story was changed or incomplete?

• Wednesday - Saturday: – 10 of your favorite books – 10 of your favorite Books read and discussed on SeniorNet/Learn – 10 of your favorite authors – 10 of your favorite characters – 10 of your favorite movies that were books – 10 of your favorite phrases from the books we have read – 10 new bits of information you learned from our book discussions. – 10 of your favorite or most remembered discussions here on SeniorLearn.

Need a memory nudge? Here are links to our Archived Discussions. SeniorNet books are listed alphabetically and NOT by the discussion date. SeniorLearn discussions are listed by date. 

Discussion Leader: Barb
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #81 on: August 21, 2015, 02:01:01 AM »
You're in good shape Bellamaria there are TWO questions - one the favorites from our discussion and the other a list of your favorite books - so you have another shot that I know I am looking forward to taking full advantage of both questions

There are so many that we have discussed and your list is wonderful - You did join a couple of discussions that for what ever reason at the time I did not get to participate so it is really nice to see those books listed as some of your favorites - looking forward to see what books your second list will include - and then we have favorite authors - that for me will include several poets.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #82 on: August 21, 2015, 11:35:45 AM »
Bellamarie, I'm going to follow your example and not try to list these favorites in order, just list those books and discussions that really made an impact.

1.  Boys in the Boat
2.  End of Your Life Book Club
3.  The Dante Club
4.   The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
5.  Zeitoun
6.  Major Pettigrew's Last Stand
7.  Clara and Mr. Tiffany
8.  Ladies of Covington
9.  Kite Runner
10. Greater Journey

The first one has probably had the most impact on my recent  daily routine.  After reading Boys in the Boat I have fallen in love with the indoor rowing machine and ask myself each day "when am I going to the gym to row?" It has now become a "must do" as I always feel better afterwards, and am setting and meeting some goals. (Thank you Ella for bringing that book to us.)

I feel badly about the last on the list -- The Greater Journey -- as I was a kind of drop-out. But there is so much there about the Americans in Paris and I periodically return to it, and oten look for a picture of John Singer Sargeant's Gallery at the Louvre.

My bucket list still contains the Morse Museum in Orland0/Winter Park -- to see the Tiffany collection there.

Off to row.

bellamarie

« Reply #83 on: August 21, 2015, 05:28:48 PM »
So now I will try to tackle my favorite authors in no particular order.  Again, at the top of my list will be:

1.  Jane Austen
2.  Elizabeth Gaskell
3.  Louisa May Alcott
4.  Danielle Steele
5.  Mary Higgins Clark
6.  Nora Roberts
7.  Maya Angelou
8.  Debbie Macomber
9.  Nicholas Sparks

As for favorite characters, at the top of my list is of course:

1.  Emma Woodhouse from Emma
2.  Jo March from Little Women
3.  Mr. Darcy from Pride and Prejudice
4.  Elizabeth Bennett from Pride and Prejudice
5.  Laurie Laurence from Little Women
6.  Simon Darre from Kristin Lavransdatter
7.  Cynthia Kirkpatrick from Wives and Daughters
8.  Squire Hamley from Wives and Daughters
9.  Major Ernest Pettigrew from Major Pettigrew's Last Stand
10. Juliet Ashton from The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

I had to add the two characters from Little Women even though we have not read the book, because those two have stayed with me forever, like Lizzie & Darcy. 

“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #84 on: August 21, 2015, 06:10:09 PM »
Ah both Pedln and Bellamarie have added more lists for our legacy - love it...

Favorite Characters - now that will be a tough one for me - but authors - and actually some of my favorite books we never did read here on SeniorLearn - been clearing out again getting rid of books, mostly paperback lighthearted novels and books on needlework, decorating, and old dated political books like Henry Kissinger's Diplomacy. And I know just the books I weighed back and forth if I should get rid of them or not. Back later - time to hear from my son and a couple of my grands.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #85 on: August 21, 2015, 07:44:42 PM »
Here are my favorite authors today. :)  They may change tomorrow. I am basing this on the length of my admiration for them and the number of times I have reread them:

1. Richard Yates
2. Charles Dickens
3. E.F. Benson
4. Sinclair Lewis
5. Alfred Tennyson
6. Homer
7. Julius Caesar
8.  Samuel Taylor Coleridge
9. Shakespeare (how can I leave him out?_ SO much pleasure provided)
10.  Plutarch
11. How can I leave Hilary Mantel out? I can't stop rereading her Wolf Hall series.

And the list keeps growing. We've read all of these authors here except Hilary Mantel who is relatively new to the scene, but much lauded.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #86 on: August 21, 2015, 09:24:21 PM »
OK 10 Authors

1. Susan Griffin (A Chorus of Stones and other Books)
2. Simon Wiesenthal (The Sunflower)
3. John O'Malley S.J.
4. Dylan Thomas
5. Haruki Murakami
6. Eudora Welty
7. Mark Twain
8. Semus Heaney
9. Henry David Thoreau
10. Matsuo Basho

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #87 on: August 21, 2015, 09:31:09 PM »
ONE more Day- Saturday 8/22 - We just need to include...

– 10 new bits of information you learned from our book discussions.

mabel1015j

« Reply #88 on: August 22, 2015, 12:24:35 AM »
I'm not sure why because it wasn't at the top of my favorites list, all though it may be in my top 10, but when i think of a SL book discussion the James Audubon book comes to mind. I remember being angry at his treatment of his wife, leaving her for long periods of time and not providing much money for her. But, i certainly did learn a lot from that book. I loved his paintings of the birds and I'm glad he did what he did. I mollified myself about his spousal behavior by remembering the time, and by knowing that many people who have a passion, often an obssession, have lost themselves in their projects. The family has usually suffered from their obssession.

Jean

bellamarie

« Reply #89 on: August 22, 2015, 01:07:30 AM »
I can not really come up with just 10 bits of information I learned from our book discussions, because there have been so many for me. 

1.  I learned so much when we read the Hot Zone, I knew so little about the ebola virus and that book was an encyclopedia of information not only helping me understand where it originated from, but how it can be transmitted, and how to protect yourself and healthcare providers from being exposed, and I also learned to not let the fear of the this virus put me into a panic mode.

2.  Kristin Lavransdatter, I learned the earlier teachings and traditions of the Catholic church, and about the Vikings. 

3.  With the Jane Austen's novels, I learned to appreciate and enjoy the dialogue of their speech, the era of the 18th Century, their manners and customs, especially for dating and marrying, and I learned how difficult being a woman of strength and strong will can actually be frowned upon. 

4.  In Boys in the Boat, I learned so very much about rowing, the make of the boat and the importance of each person and stroke. 

5.  Reading Girls in Atomic City, I must say I was in shock and awe learning how we could actually create a town, keep it a secret and create an atomic bomb. 

6.  I Always Loved You, taught me so very much about the fine strokes of an artist, and how complicated their lives can be living in such solitaire. 

7.  Reading Greater Journey, taught me to truly appreciate Paris, and how it was the starting point of so many things that was brought back to the United States in medicine, art, etc. 

8.  Alice In Wonderland, oh dear where do I begin?  I learned there was a whole lot more to falling down a rabbit's hole than meeting up with a cheshire cat, a deck of cards, a rabbit, and as for Lewis Carroll I can best put by putting one of my last posts in the discussion:  "While you say, "his reasoning is often tenuous." one thing I can say for certain where Carroll is concerned in writing this nonsensical story is....he left NOTHING to chance.  He was a brilliant mathematician, with a mind that seems to have not missed a beat in remembering and using all things possible to create this story, astronomy, theology, poetry, fantasy, mythology, analogy, psychology, etc., etc., etc.

9.  Wives and Daughters, taught me how you can't always put expectations on one of your children because it is protocol, leaving another child with less expectations and feeling less worthy.  I also learned that a friendship between two sisters can be valuable, yet disappointing when you realize one has been keeping secrets and doing things that go against your moral fiber. I also learned that selflessness can actually be selfishness.

10.  Remarkable Creatures taught me to appreciate the remarkable things the sea can bring to us, and the discoveries that may still be left to find.

11.  Good Earth, oh dear, this book truly was like no other I have ever read.  It taught me about generations of families who can never take their wealth for granted.  It was a book of the seven deadly sins.

12.  President's Club, was just filled with inside information of presidents and how they treat each other.  I enjoyed this book.

And this is where I must stop, since my eyes are saying time for bed.  All the books we have discussed has taught me so much about so many things, but most of all it was the members who have taught me the most important of all, and that is to allow myself to be open to all possibilities, and it's okay to agree to disagree.
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #90 on: August 22, 2015, 12:11:13 PM »
Is it possible to recover a very long post that I have made and lost today? I need someone's help? 
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #91 on: August 22, 2015, 12:43:22 PM »
Ann: if on a computer, try hitting the back arrow button and see if it comes back up?

The next time it happens right click on the empty window where you were posting and try clicking "Undo," the first selection when you right click. If, however, you have moved away from that window, try going back with the arrows and see if that works.

What I do when the post gets long is I right click with the mouse (this applies to a computer only), choose select all and then choose copy and I have that much, anyway, if I don't copy or paste in between finishing a post it will be there as the last copy...if something should happen. I know it's annoying. :) Sorry for the problem.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #92 on: August 22, 2015, 01:26:14 PM »
Thanks Ginny!  Do I assume that its too late to recover this one post?  OMG! Took an hour to write it ((((:::::
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #93 on: August 22, 2015, 01:28:06 PM »
If Ginny's suggestions don't work, that's heartbreaking.  All that work!

when I remember, I defend myself the same way Ginny does, by saving the text before posting.  Steps are different on the Mac.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #94 on: August 22, 2015, 01:29:41 PM »
I'm not sure. If you didn't have success by hitting the return arrow to a previous screen, since you posted for help the Undo won't work and if you didn't make a copy (golly moses, an HOUR~!!!!) or if you're on an Ipad or IPhone, I guess you're toast.

Happens to me all the time. One little misstep can do it.  That's why I make copies and use undo.

I am sorry. :)

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #95 on: August 22, 2015, 01:33:13 PM »
I've got so much to say, and only this afternoon to say it in.  I've been traveling, and though I've had a computer with me, I haven't had as much time as usual.  Every time I start to work up a long answer, we're already on the next section.  Now I'm home, I'll write as fast as I can--still unpacking, though.

bellamarie

« Reply #96 on: August 22, 2015, 01:36:08 PM »
Oh Annie, how awful to spend so much time, only for it to be gone.  I have had that happen to me and know what you're feeling.  I make a habit of copying before attempting to preview or post, so if a glitch happens I have my copy.  Good luck!

PatH., Be sure to make a copy!   ;)

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #97 on: August 22, 2015, 02:00:38 PM »
Well, I better get going on the rewrite :-[ :-[ :-[
I may have to complete this after we attend the Welcome party for our new residents this afternoon. Ralph is still getting ready to go so I have a few minutes before we have to leave.
 ;) ;) ;)
I want to tell Ginny that Ralph and I are doing fine considering he has been in the hospital twice this summer and I am in water PT for my knees but other than that we are okay.  You know what some of my favorites are:  "Getting older is not fun!  If its not your bum its your elbow".    Quote from Kate Morrow, my grandmother! ;)  And then there's this one: "If it weren't for our drs, we wouldn't have any friends"  Quote from Ella's neighbor who had had a sick year.  I just heard the following on Facebook this week:  "Don't worry about getting old, it doesn't last long.

My other message is for Bellamarie who asked if Ella and I could plan on meeting her halfway between Columbus and Toledo. I will ask Ella if she's up for a luncheon with you.  She is on oxygen 24/7 so might not want to travel.  It sounds like fun!

Now for some of my favorites:

Snow Falling On Cedars will always be a fav as it was my first book discussion on SN.

Abraham and Walking the Bible by Bruce Feiler.  I was lucky that he came to Columbus to speak to the "Reading For The Year in Bexley"  and I got him to sign a book for Mary, my sister.
"DownTown NYC" by Pete Hamil also spoke to the same group and Ella and I encouraged him to join us when we discussed one of his books.  Can't remember if we read his book and discussed it. I know that we did read his  book about the immigrants in Lower Manhatten.  Ped'ln knows that title ;D

"The Christmas Carol" by Charles Dickens which we discussed more than once.
I also saw it twice in live musical theatre.  Once in Atlanta,GA and once in Indianapolis, IN.
I often wonder if Atlanta still performs theirs.  It was fantastic!

"The Life of Pi" by Yann Martel which was also a movie.

"The Luncheon of the Boating Party" by Dianne Vreeland

"Nothing Like it in the World" by Stephen Ambrose.  Wonderful discussion with Ginny leading the way.

"The Road" by Cormack McCarthy.  I was discussing if from the hospital that time too.

While I am writing this, the Met Opera is doing a Gilbert and Sullavin  on the radio! In English!  Wow!  The Pirates of Penzance"

We are off to the welcome party.  More later!

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #98 on: August 22, 2015, 03:34:31 PM »
Annie what a trooper - it is such an awful feeling to loose a long post - and here you are attempting to capture again for us what you said - terrific

Did not know Ella was on oxygen 24/7 - and here Ella still wows us with her ability to gather a group of us into the most fascinating discussions that really get to the bone.

Wouldn't that be great Bellamarie to go up and have a meeting with Ella and Annie - what a treat and memory for you that would be.

PatH hurray looking forward to your catch up - there is one set of questions that needs to go into the heading but most of them are there - what a treat to look forward to knowing you will be posting.

Ginny to the rescue - oh oh oh how many over the years have we lost everything - it is so maddening because as soon as any of us decide to first write on Word or hit copy when writing or do something that will be an insurance, low and behold the very time we decide we can risk is when the keyboard god says, 'gottcha' 

Bellamarie you sure enough have made the case that discussing any book with Senior Learn is an opportunity to 'Learn' - fabulous. I was especially taken with what you said about Lewis Carroll and I forgot about Remarkable Creatures - that was not only a good book but there were many new things to learn about while reading that book - I remember while reading that book it was hard for me to square the active life and scientific knowledge being accumulated by the characters with some of the other literature about this time in history.

Jean - yes, I remember how outraged over leaving his wife and family for so many years at a time - as you said, it does seem to be the way of life in order to live and pursue your talent and interests - Don't remember if I saw before or after our discussion the PBS special that showed one of only a couple of his original books that are gigantic in size and there is a word to describe the size that I forgot - but the process of making those paintings into a book was astonishing - so glad you brought the book to our attention.

Back later with some of my thoughts on what I've learned from reading and discussing books with SeniorNet and Senior Learn.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #99 on: August 22, 2015, 04:20:13 PM »
See how often one learns tidbits here.  I knew Audubon's largest books were elephant folios, but I looked it up to check, and they are actually  double elephant folios, and are over 3 feet by 2 feet.

http://manalivedesign.blogspot.com/2010/10/double-elephant-folio-for-record-books.html

https://sites.google.com/site/lostparadiseofbirds/slide-show-1

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #100 on: August 22, 2015, 04:58:11 PM »
Most important, I've honed my reading skills on SeniorLearn, and learned to look at books in a different way.

But I can't go a week without something coming up in conversation that I know something about because I learned it here.

mabel1015j

« Reply #101 on: August 22, 2015, 07:10:45 PM »
Of course, my favorite book discussion and the one i learned the most from was the discussion that brought me to SN and then SL - Story of Civilization. As i have said before I was teaching Western Civ and was looking for some tidbit, probably a picture of some Middle Ages building or person, and Google brought me here.

The wonderful Robbie was posting a passage from the Durant's 11 volumes. I think their duscussion was in the early Middle Ages. I'll have to check in the archives. After Robbie "retired" from that job, Trevor carried on well and ably.

After Robbie and Trevor's good work, the next BEST thing was the use of the web and participation of people from all over the world and people who have traveled all over the world - all came together in a perfect.........what's the opposite of "storm"?  ;).....entertaining,  informative discussion with pictures!! Pictures of buildings, paintings, sculptures, geographical places and anything else people had taken pictures of, or had found on the WWW! And narratives and literature that amplified the issues and times we were talking about. What fun!

Maybe at some time inthe future we can pick up the discussion again. We just sort of ran out of gas.  :D :D

In fact I just had a brilliant (haha) idea. Since i missed the first 3 or 4 volumes of the discussion, i'm going to go to the archives and read those!! What a delight that should be! A BIG Thank you to whomever of the administrators who saved those.

Jean

mabel1015j

« Reply #102 on: August 22, 2015, 07:28:54 PM »
BY THE WAY, some of you get the newsletter from Learnoutloud, but some of you probably do not. And i know some of you get The Great Courses. In last week's newsletter they announced that The Great Courses are testing a new something-or-other and thru Learnoutloud, for a short time, you can get FREE COURSES.

I'm watching Experiencing America through the Smithsonian, it's quite good. I'm also just starting
24 lectures on Turning Points in History. I think you have to go though Learnoutloud to sign up, but don't worry, that is a very reputable site. There are courses on everything - art, music, war, politics, philosophy, etc,etc. and all free.

Jean

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #103 on: August 22, 2015, 07:38:32 PM »
Here's a rather random stab at making a list, but I'm not going to number it, or stop at ten if I get beyond:

From Boys in the Boat: I learned a lot about rowing, including the remarkable spirit needed to forge a team.  My neighbors across the street are rowers (both parents and the teen-age boy and girl) and they say Brown got it exactly right.  I also renewed my interest in film maker Leni Riefenstahl, and her role in Hitler’s propaganda.  Some of that came up in conversation with a friend just a month ago.

From The Greater Journey: I learned about a part of American cultural life and the need to study abroad in the 1800s that I knew very little of, plus what was going on in France at that time.  This meshed with I always Loved You, about the last part of this scene, and the relationship of Degas and Cassatt.  The National Gallery of Art here had an exhibit at that time about the two artists and their works.  JoanP and pedln and I went to see it together—a remarkable experience.

From Camille Paglia's Break, Blow, Burn: this was an analysis of a number of poems, and mostly I didn't agree with her, but she suggested a whole new (to me) layer of meaning in Coleridge's Kubla Khan.

From The Hare With Amber Eyes my eyes were opened to the advantages and restrictions of the wealthy European Jewish  community in the 19th and 20th century, plus I learned about netsuke.  I didn’t even know what they were before, but they are wonderful and fascinating.  I even bought one—no, it’s not an expensive collector’s item, I got it at the Japanese Garden in Portland, OR, and it cost about as much as a hardback book, but it’s nice and I enjoy it.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #104 on: August 22, 2015, 07:50:29 PM »
Here's my netsuke:

It's smaller than the picture, less than two inches, and fits neatly in the palm of your hand, where it has a good feel--smooth and slick on the bottom, and slightly textured on top.  I think it's meant to be a flounder done by someone who didn't know flounders are flat.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #105 on: August 22, 2015, 09:09:25 PM »
Nice links PatH to the double elephant - Qatar hmm interesting - so that is probably where all the money has gone - ah so...

OH how great to here that Jean about the Learnoutloud connection - ah and to review some of those early discussions - what a treat we have - yes, thanks to the early administrators and the big effort made when SeniorNet abruptly disconnected us and all the scramble to save all the archives.

And you also Pat with The Hare With Amber Eyes AND you have a netsuke - oh oh oh - what a treasure and to know someone who owns a netsuke - wonderful.

Well here are my most memorable learning opportunities here on Senior Learn - there were many but these are the highlights. I too agree - there something we learn - not news - but real learning in every book we read - I remember JoanK  abile to explain all the intricacies of early nineteenth century English lit – Example, I had no idea till she explained what a 'living' was and then of course true to form I had to research how the Church of England organized.

The real learning for me is the books I just had to read in addition in order to track down the background or source for some of what we were reading. Or the book presented so many questions that I had to track down further books for explanation.

The two more recent reads of past years that via for the huge amount of additional reading was first, when Ella did  - Those Angry Days by Lynne Olson. That book discussion even had me reading Mein Kompf, and even getting that book I learned how all but one author, the books had been altered with parts skipped and told by most western authors with a slant that explained him as a monster from day one. To find a copy that told it as he wrote it was a feat. He had his delusions for sure but you could see where and how his hatred of Jews was part of his upbringing. Amazing to learn was his natural talent for architecture and other disciplines that he could not focus on the study and therefore, was never accepted in those universities. Other books I just 'had' to read for that discussion included a huge tome - one of a series about Churchill during the years before WWII - on and on...

The other book that again, it was one book after the other - in fact I got so wrapped up in my inquiry I stopped posting and was stuck where WWII affected the family. I kept thinking, how did this all start.  It was European but so much a Catholic mantra that the reason for the hatred was that the Jews crucified Jesus. It hit me - it did not make sense - there were no group called Christians for nearly 100 years after the crucifixion - everyone was Jewish even those who followed Christ were called Jews who followed Christ. So how and when…?

Well I learned all about the Pale in Russia that I thought the only Pale was in Ireland. Even got on Google Map, followed the street of Odessa, and found there is a huge monstrous size Iron Pot still there left by the Saracens and the Greeks were the first to settle Odessa.

Then read other books which included stories explaining hangings off balconies and other atrocities during the 16th and 17th century mostly because the new merchant class was in competition with the old and established Jewish Merchants and Traders -

Then learning how after Spain kicked out the Jews and some during, most often threatened with or were tortured,  converted just to remain in Spain while those who left, some became the Pirates we read about but, more went to the Netherlands where they were accepted however, they kept to themselves creating successful and wealthy communities. Then, more news to me, with a later surge of Jewish immigrants to the Netherlands, arriving from the east it was against their rules, not the government's rules, the Jewish community was not to help any of the Jews that were escaping from the Baltic's, Russia and Germany, who did not have the education or wealth of the Spanish Jews.  They were not to feed, hire or help off the street, much less marry or heaven forbid be allowed to enter one of the synagogues, all cause for serious sanction, most often expulsion from the synagogue and the day to day business within the Jewish community. 

Each book gave a peek into a new atrocity and a history was developing but no answer as to how it all started till my last sojourn gave some hint of an answer. Finally landed on Constantine, who when these leaders converted and converted all their subjects it all sounds so nice and orderly. Little did I know the force and killing of children as punishment etc. was typical to make folks convert.  As to those in Rome who were already the followers of Christ, up until Constantine, they were being pitched to the lions and other atrocities and now all of a sudden they were the favored group. It turned out not only were the Jews blamed for various malfunctions in Rome from disease to fires but the biggie - there was a small symbol on the lower corner of  Constantine's flag that was a symbol for the Jews that he had removed and replaced with a Christian symbol.

Somehow, realizing everyone was a Jew at the time of the crucifixion, to me the idea to blame the Jews for the Death of Christ sounds too much like a rallying cry.  I still have more to read but, the Romans had issue with the Jews before Jesus so, what this is all about I still am not sure.  Is it a Roman hatred that was passed along or were the Christians all of a sudden getting relief, becoming top dogs deciding they had to get on the right side of Constantine and so they betray their own heritage to hate the Jews. I still have the early seven Ecumenical Councils to read where I understand the issue of the Jews is addressed on one of them. Whatever - it sure had and still has me by the tail reading, all because of one book discussed here - The Hare with Amber Eyes by Edmund de Waal

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #106 on: August 22, 2015, 09:20:59 PM »
Oh, JoanH, he/she is so cute.  Does he have a name?

Ginny I aM

Well, the welcome new neighbors party went very well and we have attained some new volunteers.   :) :)  We always need new volunteers in a condo complex.  :)

Ginny, I am saving my posts throughout the whole writing of these long ones.  Thanks for the suggestions.

Well,  I am back and wanted to tell you that I have been in contact with Robby Iadaluca. He asked me to be a friend on his Facebook page. And his quote on aging:  "I looked in the mirror last week and said, "So this is what 91 looks and feels like."  I feel great and am still working with my patients."   He is such a dear.  Remember when he danced with Eloise on the Isile of Palms?  I had pictures but they were not very good so I dumped them.

Back to some book titles that I liked.

David Mccullogh's "The Greater Journey" was a joy to read and discuss.

"The Kite Runner" by  Khaleed Hossini   My f2f group not only read the book but we attended the movie.

"The Girls Of the Atomic City" by Denise Kiernan was a real eye opener. 

"Kristan Lavransdatter"  was fascinating and I read the whole thing but don't think I commented on it.  I was so sure that I wouldn't like it and then I couldn't put it down.Thanks for that story of Norway,  PatH  :)

I still have not read one of the classics that was discussed very early in our sojourn on the net. Something with a Green Knight in its title.  I just haven't had time.  But maybe if I ever retire from here, I will read it then.  Since it was 20 years ago,  I wonder if we could discuss it now.  I will be looking it up as soon as someone puts the correct title here.

Did we read "Searching for Hassan"?  I loved that book.  Its hard to believe how much Iran has changed for the worst.

What about "The God of Small Things" by Arundhati Roy?

And how could we forget "The Bone People" by Keri Hulme?

Did we discuss Pete Hamil's  "Forever".  Another well written book. 

I have read another of Stacy Kidder's with the title of "Strength In What Remains"?  Its mind bending!  And beautifully written.

I read a fair number of mysteries during the year.  Love Louise Penny and Anne Perry.  Ralph is also interested in both of those writers' books. They're fun reads.

I am trying to watch a baseball game and a NASCAR race which Ralph is switching back and forth from each presentation? 

Barb, how long can we still reminisce here?  I am now heading to the Archives to find some titles that I can't quite bring to mind.

We went to the library yesterday and brought home 10 more titles.  Not sure we will read them all.  Ralph is still recovering from his last hospital stay as they kept him in bed until they found the GI bleed that he had.  When you are 81, laying on your back for 14 days, 'tis hard to come back from.  We are working toward attending another wedding in Ithaca,NY in late September. 

So, good night ladies!  Am off to the archives and then to the race/baseball game. 

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #107 on: August 22, 2015, 09:34:21 PM »
Annie have at it - tomorrow Sunday will be our day to bring up the names of those who are no longer with us or who never made it over or just dropped out over the years - and then Monday and Tuesday I have another focus question and a sorta wrap up question but we can leave this discussion open till the end of the month - I will get all the questions we have used to jog our memory in the heading and just have at it - so yes, you have time.

mabel1015j

« Reply #108 on: August 22, 2015, 10:22:37 PM »
Clara and Mr Tiffany was another book whereby I learned a lot. I knew nothing about glassware, or making glassware, or the Tiffany studios. How interesting that was, as was the story of Clara.

Another book that I remember learning a lot from reading was London, a fiction book about the history of the city of London. I don't see it in the archives, could it possibly have been before 2003? It sure doesn't seem like it was that long ago. I enjoyed that book very much. did that same author also write a novel about NYC?

I also enjoyed and learned from Guernsey Literary, etc. I had never read anything about the occupation of those islands during WWII. The story of the citizens lives was nicely done also.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #109 on: August 22, 2015, 11:40:59 PM »
Some of the pre-2008 discussions got lost in the move, many of them the later ones.

Annie, The Green Knight is Sir Gawain and the Green Knight.  I didn't read it here, but I read it in college English Lit., and I have the translation of J. R. R. Tolkien, which is supposed to be the best.

Someone suggested Strength in What Remains for discussion here.  It didn't make it, but I read it, and you're right; it's very powerful.

bellamarie

« Reply #110 on: August 23, 2015, 12:45:11 AM »
Annie, I am so sorry to hear about Ralph.  I hope he recovers quickly.  If Ella is not up to a road trip, I understand.  I had to giggle when I saw you mention, "The Pirates of Penzance" it brought back the scene in Pretty Woman where Edward (Richard Gere) takes Vivian (Julia Roberts) to the opera and an elderly lady asks Vivian if she liked the opera: 

Elderly Lady at Opera: “Did you like the opera, dear?”
Vivian: “It was so good, I almost peed my pants!”
Edward: “She said she liked it better than Pirates of Penzance.” 

PatH., well my heavens there you go proving my point, we are constantly learning new things from each other....a netsuke!  Whatever is it?  I have to say, those eyes are creeping me out a little.

Jean, your post jogged my memory about the lives of the other characters in Guernsey Lit., I was in awe how the members would sneak around so as not to get caught having a book club.  And what about that pig! 
I have never heard of the newsletter from Learnoutloud.

Barb, oh goodness your post just made me laugh out loud especially this:  "The other book that again, it was one book after the other - in fact I got so wrapped up in my inquiry I stopped posting and was stuck where WWII affected the family."
I could always tell you were lost to the hunt, when you ceased posting in our discussions.   :)

Okay while you all are catching up, I am going to take a shot at books turned into movies.  I can think of a few I just love, and some may not have been in our discussion.  As a matter of fact, I'm thinking most of them were not.  I'm also going to critique which one I thought was better or if they were true to the book. 

1.  Safe Haven....................  Book was far better than the movie. 
2.  The Best of Me                  Did not read the book, was told the book is even better.  I loved the movie.
3.  The Help..................Book was far better than the movie. They took a serious book and made it almost a comedy.
4.  Pride and Prejudice.............Book far better than the movie.         
5.  Gone Girl..........................Both were great!
6.  Emma..............................Book far better than the movie.
7.  Gone With the Wind............Both were fantastic!
8.  Alice In Wonderland............Movie much more enjoyable seeing the animated character come to life.
9.  The Notebook....................Both tear jerkers.
10.To Kill a Mockingbird...........Both great!
11.The Da Vinci Code..............Both good.
12. Little Women....................Both absolutely wonderful!
13.Harry Potter......................Not a fan of either.
14. Fifty Shades of Grey..........Worst book/movie ever, IMO.  My daughter in laws and I decided we would read the first book to see what all the rave was about.  We finished the first book and was so disgusted, we agreed one was enough for us.  Friends told us the other two were repetitive and redundant of the first.  I refused to go to the theater and pay money to see the movie when it came out, and I tried a Facebook boycott.  It bombed in the theaters, and those I know who saw it said it was the worst movie they ever saw.  I saw the two lead characters on a daytime talk show and they seriously could not stand being in the same room with each other.  The male actor who played Christian Grey, said when he would go home to his wife and baby daughter at the end of shooting, he would take a shower to try to wash off the dirty feeling he had treating a woman so awful.)

Okay, must say good-night, once again up too late.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #111 on: August 23, 2015, 03:55:36 AM »
From the Heading for Sunday August 23.

Our Memorial to those who read and discussed books with us on both SenoirNet and SeniorLearn.

This is not a page to memorialize folks. It is to honor by mentioning those whose shoulders we stand on today because of their contribution to this longest running book discussion on the WWW.

Past Members
Sunday Many names are in our Archived Book Discussions
  - Let's see if we can remember some of those names.

Aug. 23 Names of those who we know are no longer with us.
  – Names of those who never made it over from SeniorNet
  – Names of folks who no longer read with us.

Sunday 8/23 Hope you can catch us up to date about any of these folks
  – Or remember in what discussion you both were posting that would be great.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #112 on: August 23, 2015, 09:12:02 AM »
I'll sneak in a few more from yesterday before going on.
Bellamarie:
1.  I learned so much when we read the Hot Zone, I knew so little about the ebola virus and that book was an encyclopedia of information not only helping me understand where it originated from, but how it can be transmitted, and how to protect yourself and healthcare providers from being exposed, and I also learned to not let the fear of the this virus put me into a panic mode.
Thank you for saying that, Bellamarie, that's exactly what I was hoping to do in the discussion.

As I learned from the book, a netsuke is the little carved ornament on the cord hanging from the sash of a Japanese gentleman's kimono.  He carries things in a pouch on the cord (no pockets).  Now they are mostly just used as ornaments.  Mine does have the two little connecting holes on the bottom to thread the cord through, but it would be pretty tricky to do so.  From the front, he looks worried, not creepy.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #113 on: August 23, 2015, 10:19:48 AM »
From The Hot Zone I also got a better picture of village life in central Africa, which was then filled out by Strength in What Remains.

From Captain Bligh's journal of the mutiny on the Bounty, I learned a lot about that bit of history, and what amazing journeys you could make in a small boat with few navigational aids, plus I had a blast talking about sailing stuff with Marni.

From Team of Rivals I learned the details of politics leading up to and during the Civil War, plus more than I knew before about how remarkable a man Abraham Lincoln was.  That was my first stint as a discussion co-leader, and Ella kindly held my hand during the learning process.

From Women in Greek Drama I learned the structure of Greek plays, and got an appreciation for them, and from the Iliad and Odyssey I came to love the poetry.

That's not even all my list, but it's many of the highlights.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #114 on: August 23, 2015, 12:00:34 PM »
I was on AOL those many years ago when I stumbled onto the SeniorNet mystery forum.  I have never been much of a "poster" but have really enjoyed the various forums.  After SeniorNet closed that portion of their site, I believe it was Marcie? that notified me of SeniorLearn.  What a wonderful group.  I've enjoyed both SeniorLearn and SeniorsandFriends--although it is mostly silently.  :)

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #115 on: August 23, 2015, 02:58:02 PM »
Ah Flajean so glad you peeked in - glad to know you are our guardian angle sitting quietly by our side - Marcie does so much to keep us together - our quiet shepherdess :)

PatH you sure continue to show us how we all get something different from reading and discussing these books - and also the variety we have is really apparent as we have been sharing the past week or so - many books I did not get to participate in the discussion have been very meaningful to those that did participate - so that to have a personal viewpoint of this site looses its punch - and I bet that we each get something valuable but different from reading the exact same book as another who is posting. Amazing isn't it.

I need a bit of time and then I am back to start listing names - some I hope others can fill in who they were or where they are or if they have passed and we did not hear - as well as for starters I have to list one who did pass and was a dear who often out of the blue would call - always it seemed just when I needed to hear a friendly voice.

That was Anna Fair or later she called herself Fairanna - Anna Alexander who passed a few years ago and was the discussion leader for Poetry as well as a Poet herself.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #116 on: August 23, 2015, 03:16:37 PM »
So, in going through the site for Fiction-Old-New-Best Sellers back in 2009 in the Archives, I found quite a few names of people who have left us and many names that I haven't seen here in ages.  But, when I looked at some of those names on my list and read today's posts, there were some posters that I have't seen for a long time.  I will remove those names from my list ;) ;)

So, here's some names of those whom we have lost over the years to wearing angel's wings.
Babi
PatW
Eloise,
Gumtree
JoanG

Names I have't seen in ages:
Serene Sheila
Aberlaine
Tomereader
Phyll
CallieOK
EdithAnne
nlhome
Pamjo
Straude
MargeV
hats
Joyous
mynioga(Macou)
Frybabe
Salan
mrssherlock
alf
Winsummm
evergreen

Now these last names may be posting on something like the Library or on Books Fiction Nonfiction Best Sellers which is Judy Laird's folder.

People have been talking about Robby and  and I have to tell my story of that.  In Chicago, at our luncheon, BarbStAubrey and Robby were sitting to my left and we got to talking about
the Durants' Story of Civilization in 11 volumes.  Well, Robby was so interested that I asked him why he didn't offer to do that discussion?  Well, there you go!  And there he was, making all do some work on our history memories while asking some very good questions and it just took off.  And then, as Mable told us, Trevor took over.  His name is another one that I haven't seen for a long time.

Hope some of you know where some of these folks have been hiding lately.

Back later :) :) :).

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #117 on: August 23, 2015, 03:52:27 PM »
Annie a few on your list have been very much present here on Senior Learn so we can quickly clear up the where abouts of those names

CallieOK - posts often and not too long ago changed her photo - which is great...  :-*
Tomereader - does post often in the Library and posted in our last read together.
Frybabe - I swear you must get up at 4: in the morning Frybabe I often see your post here at 5:
nlhome and Alf - have both posted but maybe not as often
Serene Sheila - I see her posts off and on in the Library
Salan - posts often in the Library
Hats - I have not seen her posts in awhile now - she would pop in and I wonder if her health is down

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #118 on: August 23, 2015, 04:01:58 PM »
I have not seen kiwilady from New Zealand in awhile
or JudeS I think from the west coast also have not seen in awhile. Hope all is well with both of them.
Gumtree from Australia passed on - such a wonderful contributer
Deems passed on - now Deems were some shoulders that we stand on today.
Who was Laura who posted on the Guernsey Literary...
And also from the Guernsey Literary... who was Aberlaine and also EvelynMC

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #119 on: August 23, 2015, 04:24:52 PM »
Frybabe is still very active here.
Mrs. Sherlock (Jackie) quit for reasons unrelated to us, shows up once in a while.
I think JoanK still sees winsumm occasionally; she'll tell us.  Same with JudeS.
Tomereader is very active on the other site--in fact I see she's on it right now.
Trevor just stopped doing SOC about 2 months ago.  Don't think he posted much elsewhere.