Author Topic: Adventures of Pinocchio ~ December Book Club Online  (Read 14547 times)

BooksAdmin

• TopicManager
Adventures of Pinocchio ~ December Book Club Online
« on: November 29, 2015, 12:11:11 PM »

Come on - Join us
We are discussing an old Italian tale that Walt Disney changed into a children's colorful animated musical.
Our discussion is the original tale.

We Finish this discussion on Friday, Dec. 18.

Starting on Saturday, Dec. 19, a Holiday Discussion will finish out the month - More about that later - Let's talk about how we will discuss,
The Adventures of Pinocchio by Carlo Collodi.

A Gutenberg link to: The Adventures of Pinocchio 

We have 18 days, divide by 3
Equals 6 days for each 3rd of the book
1/3rd of 36 Chapters is 12 Chapters every 6 days.

Tuesday, Dec. 1 through Sunday, Dec. 6 --- The First 12 Chapters
Monday, Dec. 7 through Saturday, Dec. 12 --- Chapters 13 to 24
Sunday, Dec. 13 through Friday, Dec. 18 --- Chapters 25 to 36

Helpful Links:

Focus Questions
  • 1.   A fairy tales is constructed with characters overcoming obstacles which push the tale forward, so that the story is of goodness and obedience rewarded. What is the goodness in Pinocchio so that he continually rewarded?
  • 2.   What fields of Wonder have you invested that turned out not to deliver its promise?
  • 3.   During the late 19th century exemplary narrative qualities were "lightness" and "rapidity." This writing style is evident during Pinocchio's run for his life when he still takes time to laugh at his assassins as they under-estimate the crossing and get wet in the pool of water - Can you see other examples of Collodi treating a serious matter rapidly and with light humor?
  • 4.  Pinocchio's story is the masculine world of dog-eat-dog street smarts, macho bravado and dangerous trials and tribulations where as the Blue Fairy, first sister than mother figure during his re-birth, has an upper class persona. She does not share Geppetto's poverty. Does this explain why she is alone helping Pinocchio? Does the Blue Fairy teach Pinocchio anything that changes his behavior?
  • 5. Dante includes in his Inferno, the circle of the suicides who must suffer eternal pains as gnarled, speaking bushes and trees. Is hanging from an Oak tree inferring Pinocchio had a hand in his own hanging? How do you explain Pinocchio no longer fleeing as he beseeches help from the dead girl with the Azure hair? Was acting on his belief that the dead girl would help, similar to his believing his coins would grow in the Field of Wonder?
  • 6. Was the Azure hair a sign the dead girl was the Blue Fairy in another form? Or like the enchantress Calypso holds Odysseus captive hoping he would forget his wife is the dead girl wanting to hold Pinocchio captive from the love of his father?
  • 7. Does this aspect of the story, that is the captivating of our belief in vague possibilities lead us, the reader, to see our illusion of control as  separating us from the mystery of re-birth and death?
  • 8. Why do you think the incident with the snake that exploids from laughter is included in the story?
  • 9. How are Harlequin and Pulcinella shadow characters for Pinocchio? Are characteristics of the other Commedia Dell'Arte characters included in the story?
  • 10. In what story written by Kafka, b.1893 d. 1924, reminds you of the "Land of the Busy Bees"?
  • 11. Pinocchio's birth, his little voice speaking from an old piece of wood, carved, allowing his voice to emerge just as the formless soul is housed in the shape of a human body; where as, the re-birth of Pinocchio takes place in sumptuous surroundings with food, water and medicine available, and yet, he continues to pursue his imprudent adventure as the Field of Wonder is his magnet, his north star. What are we to make of this focused journey?

Discussion Leaders: BarbStAubrey

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
Re: Adventures of Pinocchio ~ December Book Club Online
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 09:00:17 PM »
Welcome – Really, glad you stopped in – this is the last month of the year, a year that has flown by with many good discussions.

Our choice this month is a tale written for children in nineteenth century Italy – can we put ourselves in the frame of mind for this time in history – do we know what was happening in Italy in 1881, when the first of the series written by Collodi was published in a local newspaper?

Children’s stories are filled with imagery – Children are relating to the world around them, getting in touch with how their feelings are best expressed while adults attempt to teach children what is good, and what is bad behavior.  Storytelling was a way that children learned acceptable and preferred behavior. I think we will all agree, Pinocchio is for sure an icon for those lessons.

To enjoy this tale written before the movie picture much less TV we need to be attuned to the way an author captured mind pictures. Let’s be on the lookout for words and sentences that paint a picture of the story and the characters for us.

We need to stretch our minds to include opportunities and responsibilities along with the dreams of children in 1881. We can also have our eyes opened to the consequences of behavior for children during this time in history as compared to today and as compared to the 1940s when Walt Disney redeveloped the story.

Finally, this is an opportunity to find out more about Marionettes and the stock characters in the world of theater, like the Harlequin.

Yes, another adventure into learning – I hope you are as excited as I am to read this tale as a door opening to so many aspects of nineteenth century Italian life and storytelling. Surprise to me, I can even see the temptations in this story having the earmarks of our own grown up temptations.

And like all our literary reading – we all have our own background and life experiences that we bring to a read – it will be fun to see how we each see this story. I am suspecting we may each experience different reactions and that will be the most fun to hear about.

We are off to the world of Marionette theater in Italy, 1881…
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 11:03:24 AM »
I've gotten the book from our local library. It's an oversized book with the author's listed as Carlo Collodi and Roberto Innocenti. Innocenti has provided the fantastic illustrations. It's a beautiful book. You can see many of the images at https://www.google.com/search?q=pinocchio,+innocenti&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj4wtz7g7vJAhVCLogKHaJABEUQ_AUIBygB&biw=970&bih=593. They are even sharper and better in the book.

I'm enjoying reading the book so far with its unexpected humor.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 03:10:10 PM »
Oh Marcie from the page of illustrations you shared it must be a wonderful book - There is something so uplifting about a good children's classical story and maybe that is it - the illustrations - we obviously never get tired of pictures regardless our age or we would not spend time combing the web.

I love this one which shows us typical play for children at this time in history.

And this one - wow - giving them all a look of real people but here we are with Harlequin and Pulcinella

He is a gifted illustrator isn't he - need to find out more about him - I wonder when he lived and if he is also Italian.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 03:29:06 PM »
Well here is a photo of our artist

Found his Bio - lives and works in Italy and his agent is in London - born in 1940, younger than some of us.

http://biography.jrank.org/pages/1533/Innocenti-Roberto-1940.html

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 05:28:17 PM »
My kindle edition has no illustrations (sigh), so I'll have to imagine.

I loved, loved, loved the movie as a child. Jiminy cricket was my favorite character ever, and I had to learn, now I've become a whale watcher, that not all whales look like the Sperm Whale in the movie. I suspect this is getting in the way of enjoying the book -- I'll have to erase those memories and read from scratch.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 06:02:22 PM »
Haha Joan the original is a very different story than what we saw in the movies - you will be charmed all over - and lots of illustrations on the link from Marcie - looks like he has the long nose from the beginning but the deal about him burning his feet - you can just see it and imagine your telling that part to a youngster with all the feigned horror in your eyes and yet, it is perfectly logical that of course it had to be a part of the story. 

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2015, 09:38:55 AM »
Oh, Barb, I wish I could get to the library to get the book, but am involved into too many things this week, but I must tell you Pinocchio was always a favorite story of my daughter and myself.    Well, there are many favorites when I think about it, but this one is special. 

I made puppets when my daughter and her playmate were about 6 or so.  I made them out of pipe cleaners and had strings attached - even made a stage out of a box, etc.  It was fun to be a mother of small children.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2015, 09:54:28 AM »
Pinocchio is all over the Internet, here are just a few - hurriedly.  The original black/white ones are wonderful.   Are they in the book?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jiminy_Cricket

http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Jiminy_Cricket

Would the book have been so popular if Disney had not made the movie?

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2015, 10:01:16 AM »
Here are the black/white illustrations, are they the original?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Adventures_of_Pinocchio

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2015, 10:02:58 AM »
I just gave $10 to Wikipedia, they are asking for $3 from each person.   I use it for so many purposes - a small sum for a big cause.

bellamarie

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2015, 10:16:44 AM »
I have to say I have never really ever read the book (except for Disney's version), nor watched the movie in it's entirety, but have always kept the moral close at hand as a teaching tool for my three children growing up.  I would tease them when I suspected they were telling a lie and ask, "Did I see your nose grow?" 

I had never heard of Harlequin and Pulcinella.  Was trying to Google them for info yesterday, but ran out of time.  This time of year seems to go in fast pace for me.

2. We read that Pinocchio is definitely called a Marionette in the story. What is the difference between a Marionette and a Puppet?

A puppet is a movable figure which represents a person or animal. It is controlled or manipulated by a puppeteer. Marionette is a puppet which is animated by using wires or strings. Marionettes are often considered to be complex than other types of puppets.
http://www.differencebetween.info/difference-between-puppet-and-marionette

I am reading the ibook version with no pictures at all and am feeling a bit disappointed like JoanK., especially after seeing Marcie's beautifully colored illustrations.  I may have to check with my library and see if I can get that book.  I am ALL about visual when reading.

I teach third grade CCD (religion) classes and when teaching about the Holy Spirit being our conscious, I tell my students to imagine the Holy Spirit sitting on their right shoulder whispering to make good choices, and to ignore the voice of the devil sitting on their left shoulder whispering to choose to do bad.  Here is a picture of Jiminy Cricket sitting on Pinocchio's nose as his conscious with Pinocchio looking very much ashamed, as I can imagine Jiminy Cricket chastising him. 

Sorry so large I pasted the url.

Thank you Marcie for the link to the wonderful images.   
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2015, 11:12:36 AM »
How wonderful, Ella, to make a puppet theater for your daughter. That must have been fun for all.

Those black and white illustrations in your wikipedia link seem to be from the original edition by illustrator Enrico Mazzanti.

Barb, you ask why include Master Cherry in the story. I'm thinking it probably was to show the "magical" quality in the wood. That Pinocchio was originally going to be a table leg but the wood crying out spooked the carpenter and saved the piece to become the wooden puppet. For me, it also sets the stage for Pinocchio being someone that you are sympathetic to, and find humor in, but who also can be seen as causing problems. The first owner of the wood gave him up to Geppetto.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2015, 12:38:43 PM »
OH so many thought this morning - OK ELLA the original story is linked in the heading - there are many links on the internet and the one included in the heading is from Gutenberg - here it is again

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/500/500-h/500-h.htm

And here is a wonderful opportunity to have the original story read to you - Gutenberg has The Adventures of Pinocchio chapter by chapter being read aloud...

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/19516/19516-index.html

Over the years there have been so many illustrators - the black and white drawings are from another artist - the book was first published as a book in 1883 but was included in the newspaper starting in 1881. Just on Amazon alone there are at least a dozen publications going back as far as 1900. My copy does not have any illustrations but it has some annotations that I was hoping for more telling us about life at the time but what they have included is proving to be a wonder.

Oh Ella you have done what has been on my list of 'todo's' for years and years - to make a group of Marionettes, a stage and become adapt at making them look alive and here you did it for your daughter. Bravo...

It was fun being a mom back in the day wasn't it... nothing has ever compared.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2015, 01:39:03 PM »
Haha looks like Bellamarie you found the big difference between the Disney adaptation and the original - no Jiminy Cricket all dressed in waistcoat and top hat, except as the ghost of the 'talking cricket' that Pinocchio took care of, right off when he was alone in the shop.

Some of what was in the annotated remarks is that stories for children were a new phenomenon in the nineteenth century. Early in the century the Grimm brothers published their collection of folk stories that were not considered just for Children and then just past mid century there are the books of Lewis Carroll. His most famous being Alice in Wonderland.  Suggested is that these stories were as interesting to and read by adults rather than exclusively for children.

But the big bit - in the nineteenth century stories were still depending upon the Classics and the Bible for their parables, analogies, metaphors and symbols especially among Italians whose story telling is mostly oral and steeped in Biblical events and figures. In the Italian culture a 'good story' always contained humor.

I read that storytelling is a folk art in the Tuscan countryside, and has been for centuries. Collodi, pseudonym of Carlo Lorenzini, was born in Florance, the heart of Tuscany. Another article says, the structure of Pinocchio with his variety of incidents, and tongue-in-cheek wisdom is written within the tradition of the Odyssey, the Aeneid, and the Divine Comedy. We read the Odyssey here on SeniorLearn and yes, the story moved along incident after incident but without the humor that would make it a 'good story'.

But get this - the story has been compared to the myth of Pygmalion and Galatea. This myth has been used over and over in literature and in the theater - Bernard Shaw well known Pygmalion became My Fair Lady. Where as here in Pinocchio we have Mastro Geppetto falling in love with his wooden sculptured boy which is closer to the myth of Pygmalion sculpting Galatea.

http://www.greekmyths-greekmythology.com/myth-of-pygmalion-and-galatea/

Then get this - I was amazed - mouth gapping amazed -  in the 1970s, filmmaker and playwright Giuseppe Bertolucci puts together a production of Pinocchio.

Benigni whose first success was in a film written by Giuseppe Bertolucci, wanted to bring to the screen the Biblical elements of the tale ("a little child shall lead them") as exemplified in Pinocchio, and given his great love for and knowledge of Dante, using a similar humor to Pinocchio, he writes, acts and produces, Life is Beautiful!!! Can you believe - remember it was that WWII story of an Italian Jewish family in the concentration camp where he successfully keeps hidden his young child as if playing a game waiting for the tanks and when Benigni won the Oscar he jumps on the back of his seat.

Can you believe all this... in Italy The Adventures of Pinocchio by Collodi is considered a masterpiece.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2015, 02:06:19 PM »
Marcie I like your thoughts on the reason for Mastro Cherry - I could not help wonder if Clement Clarke Moore took his nose like a cherry in The Night Before Christmas from this story.

Your reminding us that the wood was magical had me quick reference Wood in the traditional book for  literary symbols - which says that wood is of the paradisaical state, it gives shelter from birth in the cradle to death and the coffin - it is the gallows, cross and the ship of the dead and Christ as the carpenter uses tools symbolically of the divine power bringing order out of chaos. 

I thought of the fight between Mastro Cherry and Mastro Geppetto gave Collodi the opportunity to show that as rough and tumble the fight, shaking hands and going on with life was the important message that he could not have included without the two gentleman. That would go along with the reference to wood and Christ bringing order out of chaos.

The more I think of your reminding us that the wood was magical the more I am thinking it was a fact in seeing this story as more than a humorous children's story - I wish I had read Dante when we read it here but at the time I was so tied up I could not put the attention on it that it required. I am thinking that if Benigni used his knowledge and love of Dante along with Pinocchio to help him craft his movie, Life is Beautiful there is far more to this story than I ever imagined. I just thought it would be like the English who bring children's stories to the theater during Christmas and we would read the real story rather than the Disney adaptation.

bellamarie

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2015, 03:41:24 PM »
Barb, you are really opening my mind up to so much more than I ever imagined could be possible with this story.  Biblical is not what I would have assessed but the wood, the forgiveness between the two friends after fighting, and let's NOT forget Jiminy Cricket is suppose to be Pinocchio's conscious which could represent the Holy Spirit which is considered our protector, helper, advocate, comforter, Spirit of truth, revealer, teacher, witness, intercessor, and counselor to name a few.

In addition to these names, many references are made to the Holy Spirit, with some scholars counting as many as 126 different labels.

One special name used by Jesus in reference to the Holy Spirit is "Helper." Four times in John's Gospel, Jesus calls the Spirit our "Helper" (John 14:16, 26; 15:26; 16:7). In Isaiah 11:2, the Holy Spirit is called the Spirit of Counsel. In this role, the Holy Spirit gives His wisdom to us when we seek God's will for our lives.

http://www.compellingtruth.org/names-Holy-Spirit.html

I went to my library and got the illustrated version of the book and oh how I love seeing the pictures and feel it come to life as I read.  My copy is only 56 pages and that includes full pages taken up for illustrations, and it does not open up the same as the online version.  I think I will read both to see how they vary.
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2015, 02:33:58 AM »
I'll never look at a cricket the same again Bellamarie - yes, it sure fits doesn't it - as a whisperer of wisdom I almost like the image that Disney created but then the ghost of a talking cricket does seem more ethereal.

I am thinking that regardless if you consciously see these symbols at play while reading there is an underpinning that gives off good vibes, so that no wonder this, as many other classical stories keep themselves fresh to a new reader bringing their hope for a 'good story' to be read or told.

Well his feet on fire sure was not a Baptism of fire was it - because he continues as before, a scamp with newly carved feet - 

Interesting - I wonder if the quarrel between the two maestro's was as much symbolic of the various parts of this new Italy - it appears it was just over 20 years earlier that the unification of Italy was a huge ambivalent ordeal with each area wanting to protect its own traditions, customs and quirks in their language. Reading from one site that I was able use the translator says, that Collodi was caught between the unification programs to make Italians Italian and the "threat to individuality and personal freedom" that was the earmark of life in Tuscany.

Sounds like Pinocchio wanting to be the good son learning his ABCs and a trade to enhance his life with Geppetto balanced by his innate curiosity that becomes a self learning project towards gaining the wisdom of how to live among all kinds of personalities.

bellamarie

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2015, 10:17:07 AM »
Well I have to tell you that every page I turn in this story I am seeing parables jumping out at me, and Biblical teachings.  I was discussing this with my hubby last night showing him the stark comparisons and he said he has watched the movie many times and never saw them, and now that I pointed them out he can clearly see them. 

Pinocchio's struggle with choosing to go to school and be good versus just wanting to as he put it:

"Of all the trades in the world, there is only one that really suits me: that of eating, drinking, sleeping, playing and wandering around from morning til night."

reminds me of the seven deadly sins,  pride, greed, lust, envy, gluttony, wrath and sloth. 

As the cricket points out to Pinocchio, "Woe to boys who refuse to obey their parents and run away from home!" Here we see the Commandment to Honor thy father and mother.

Was it just me or did anyone else think of the story The Gingerbread Man, when Pinocchio ran away?  When he comes back home again, the father forgives him.  This reminded me of the Prodigal Son parable.  Forgiveness is truly becoming the theme of this story.

One more comparison I am seeing is: The Blessed Trinity, The Father (Geppetto), The Son (Pinocchio) and The Holy Spirit (Jiminy Cricket). 

Barb interesting facts about Italy at the time of this story being written.  This story is proving to be so much more than a child's fairy tale.  I am going to have to watch the movie we have on VHS.

Ciao for now~

bellamarie

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2015, 11:27:46 AM »
Here are a few pictures from my library book for those who do not have illustrations.

Geppetto carving Pinocchio

Pinocchio running away

Pinocchio meets the talking cricket.  This cricket sure looks much scarier than Disney's Jiminy Cricket.

Pinocchio's feet burnt off.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2015, 06:29:01 PM »
BELLAMARIE: I love the illustrations: thank you.

The symbolism of the trinity is interesting. Pinocchio is hardly keeping up his end of the image, though. Let's see how he develops.

This is also a coming of age story. Coming of age in earlier stories, means being exposed to the wide world outside of the family and dealing with its dangers. Whereas now, it's seen more in terms of psychological maturity.

bellamarie

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2015, 08:58:10 AM »
I think the struggles Pinocchio is dealing with can help us see even Jesus had a difficult time, even though Pinocchio's seem to be of his own making.  Don't get me wrong, Jesus was a man on earth without sin, little Pinocchio seems to be struggling in not sinning.  Even on pg. 21 the actual word "God" is mentioned.

"Poor Father!  But, after today, God willing, he will suffer no longer."

I get the feeling Collodi was a spiritual man or at least was very familiar with scripture and parables, and may have used that knowledge and faith in helping him create this story of morals.  Yes, Pinocchio, like every little boy growing up is finding his choices have consequences.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2015, 11:24:46 AM »
 I am finding the humor in the book is making me laugh out loud at times. Adults would find the instances funny but I'm wondering at what age children would get it.

Near the beginning when Pinocchio is so desperately hungry, Geppeto offers  him the three pears he was saving for breakfast. Instread of gratefully gulping them down right away, Pinocchio's response is "If you want me to eat them, be kind enough to peel them for me." He continues in that vein for a while back and forth with Geppeto, not wanting the peelings; not wanting the core. Then, when Gepetto says he has nothing else, Pinocchio finally eats the peels and core!

bellamarie

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2015, 03:00:44 PM »
I am seeing so many parallels to other fairy tales in this story, so my question is....which came first? It's like watching movies, you see a line where you go..."Oh that happened in such a such a movie too!"  Some plots or lines are unforgettable.

Marcie, I agree, I find myself laughing out loud as well.  As soon as Pinocchio gets out of one jam, and promises to do good, he turns right back around and gets himself into yet another situation.  :)

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2015, 03:13:22 PM »
Marcie had to laugh as well - reminded me of my sister who could not eat the crust of bread - oh dear - those crusts showed up on the top of every food for every meal I swear I think it was a week before she finally succumbed - oh it was not funny then but...

I had the same experience with alphabet soup - back in the 30s anything store bought was like gold and here I did not 'like'  this bowl of gold  - Frankly, mom's soup was so much better and not sharp from a tomato base but like my sister, except I gave in after a day of that bowl of soup on top of my supper and pushed into my morning oatmeal - oh oh oh - but I knew it would be there at lunch so I just sorta held my nose and of course it was not re-heated - oh dear...

I must say as a kid I did not like the skins of an apple and so chose another fruit if it was available and convinced my mother that applesauce tasted so much better - learn how to be wily here - but to this day I have never eaten the core of any apple or pear - do you eat the core of either an apple or pear?

Bellamarie I can see how fascinated you are with the relationship of this story to your experiences with the Christian faith - it is remarkable isn't it - the Trinity thought was one I had not seen till you mentioned it - and yes, your book has a different illustrator than books illustrated by Roberto Innocenti. Can you share with us who the illustrator is for the graphics you have shared - I bet his name is on the publisher's page.

I guess I am not seeing our Pinocchio as a Jesus figure - more as 'everyman' who has flaws and temptations and must learn how to negotiate our wants from our needs and our emotional reactions to our responsibilities as a member of society, considering a family as a social unit.

On the other side of the coin the Pygmalion symbolism caught me as I realize how often in my life I learned to like something and even developed a love or a passion by working on it and wanting it to become the best I could make it - that focused devotion to seeing my skill become a reality I can see now as the journey to attachment or at least developing a comfort level that allows us to relax in our gentle sentiments.

Thinking of it, that is how friendship is developed isn't it and for sure for me as a young married learning to keep house was changing my attitude from doing as if punishment the dreaded tasks I remember from my life at home to actually taking pride and wanting to do those very same tasks. It was not easy but, I liked the outcome and now I can see the more I went for the outcome like the sculptor Pygmalion the more my skills were practiced and polished and the more I fell in love with not only the outcome but the tasks themselves. Interesting...

I am thinking how as we age so much of our life not only changes but is no more - it is as if we were fired from a job - and like all those who are jobless you feel less and people treat you as less - I am thinking now that may be the answer - to figure out an outcome from what we have around us like a piece of old wood and simply start to make it into what we see as a pleasing outcome - in the process you not only fall in love with what you have accomplished but also, you take pride in your practiced skill. Hmm like runners who want to achieve a certain distance or time run in a certain distance so that the muscles involved become strong and more nimble. hmm looks like Geppetto has something to teach us in this story.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2015, 05:26:13 AM »
Joan yes, a coming of age story - there are many layers to this story and that for sure is one of them - I never thought of it as such but yes, like it or not coming of age means to realize the good within us can be the very tempting hook for others to grab and actually for our own desire for 'new' as if whatever we desire has first dibs over responsible behavior taught - is that it do you think - the basics of life like food and shelter are not a birthright but earned with certain behavior.

I am thinking of Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs with food and shelter on the first level of the pyramid - we cannot get to the next level according to Maslow until the preceding level has been satisfied. It looks like Pinocchio spends much of the story satisfying his need for safety... But then he is the one who makes the choices to be in these unsafe situations - hmm -

I wonder is that teaching us that safety is best achieved by staying close to home and being responsible - life does not work that way does it - maybe we have to have these experiences, as he does with the cat and the fox in order to develop our own abilities rather than just following the prescription set by family, church and school. In other words we need to be tempted and even lose our way in order to learn our limits and to own outcomes as well as, exercise our skill at negotiating temptations and risk. It is said that failure is only a lesson. Hmm Lot to think about here...

Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2015, 05:28:48 AM »
Well if you are like me you are rearing to get to the next section of the story - the focus questions have been adjust and those we have explored were removed - One more day to find bits in the story that we had not noticed during earlier reads and to see other examples of this story as well as how the story can actually illuminate our own quirks, habits and temptations.

Here is the tweaked list of Focus Questions...

Focus Questions
  • 1.   Why do you think Walt Disney anthropomorphized the Cricket, even giving the Cricket a name?
  • 2.   Do you think Pinocchio doused with cold water sends the message not to beg or, do you think they leap and see it as punishment for what happened to Geppetto?
  • 3.   Chapter 8 tells us what are the important goals for a child in Italy at this time. How usual was it for a carpenter’s son to attend school in 1881? Why do you think it is typical in traditional cultures to learn a trade?
  • 4. What is going on in Italy, Europe and even in the US in 1881?
  • 5. The author switches often between humor and pathos. Do you think that is close to life or, is it simply a theatrical devise? Does including this switching back and forth in the story teach children about life or does it simply move the story along?
  • 6. What is your piper – have you been tempted and can you be pulled away from a task?
  • 7. What can we find out about Harlequin and Pulcinella as traditional characters?
  • 8. The Director is described almost as a monster and then he becomes a sweetheart – what message do you think those two sides of this character are sending to children?
  • 9. Has an unscrupulous character that seemed legit ever taken you in?
  • 10. Few children today are left home alone. Do you see any similarities to Pinocchio's adventures and the adventures of Macaulay Culkin as Kevin McCallister  in the Christmas movie Home Alone?

bellamarie

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2015, 10:22:21 AM »
Maybe I have given a false narrative in comparing the son (Pinocchio) to The Son (Jesus) since we all know Jesus was without sin and Pinocchio seems to sin every time he turns around.  The story is filled with parables, the theme is certainly about being good, and going to school so you can grow up to be a responsible person.  In what I see Gepetto is the father, Pinocchio the son and Jiminy cricket is the advisor (as is the Holy Spirit), and each play an important part to the story.  When we turn away from our Father be it God, or our human father we find ourselves lost, things become such a struggle in life, and when someone is kind enough to try to help guide us as the cricket tries doing with Pinocchio, we do tend to think we know better and refuse to accept the advice from others.

Barb, I agree, I do believe we must have adventures, make our own mistakes, and learn our lessons from them in order to grow up, mature and become a productive adult.  Oh woe to the teenager you try to advise in the midst of their coming of age stages.  Pinocchio is mischievous, but he has a good heart.  He has found that all he has to do is turn on the waterworks to gain sympathy to manipulate others to feel sorry for him and give into his antics.  The theme of forgiveness runs through the story as well.  Pinocchio needs and wants forgiveness, but as soon as he sees he is forgiven it is like a green light to proceed in doing the next wrong, tempted thing.  Speaking of tempting, temptation sure is a huge problem for little Pinocchio.  He continues to be tempted by friends, greed, will, and want.  I keep thinking the part in the Our Father prayer, "Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil."  Pinocchio would do well in remembering this. 

Barb, I had to giggle at your sister not wanting to eat the crust of the bread.  Growing up we were extremely poor.  We ate everything on our plate and wished for more.  I would never have even considered complaining or expressing I did not like something, since what food we got at our meals was all we would have til the next meal.  No snacking in between like kids of today.  My mother would always say, "There are kids with less who would gladly eat what we refused."  I thought back then, really kids with less?  Today, I pick the crust off of all my sandwiches and give it to the birds and squirrels who gather around our bird feeder in the backyard.  I couldn't dare throw it away to no good use without feeling that twinge of guilt, knowing for certain there are indeed other children with less in the world.  Funny how once we become an adult how we understand what we didn't as a child. 

The illustrator of my book is Greg Hildebrandt 2003.  Courage Books an imprint of Running Press Philadelphia * London the copyright is 2003.  You can see more of his art at http://www.spiderwebart.com

This book is a very short version since it is only but 56 pages long including illustrations.  I have been reading the ibook from the link provided to us above in our heading as well. 

This time of year is so very busy, I must hurry off to Mass, a granddaughter's volleyball game and a birthday celebration with the family.  Phew....I'm tired and my day has just begun!

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2015, 01:10:59 PM »
Ha I just thought Bellamarie - we easily jumped to conclude a character in this story as a shadow figure to a biblical figure and therefore, in our desire to continue our amazement with the similes, analogies, metaphors and symbols we see in this story we may become over zealous -

I think since Geppetto works with wood it is easy to see the comparison between him and Joseph and then put it together that the son would be Jesus. But then Maestro Cherry was a carpenter and in the story he has no son - I think the carpenter simile is the draw

What I see as funny is - Pinocchio's escapades as he attempts to decode what will satisfy his hunger for food and adventure and really the growth of the money is to some degree because of good intentions and then compare his easy solution jump to our jumping as we make comparisons to what we know and value.

I'm thinking a morality story depends upon hindsight is a familiar tool we all use to punish ourselves when anything does not turn out as we hoped. It is like the gate that opens to, 'I told you so' - 'You should have knowns better' - 'If you stayed on the straight and narrow this would not have happened' - 'What made you think you could do this alone' - woe unto us if we attempt to satisfy our needs and end up in a mess. We become as dejected as Pinocchio falling asleep weary and hungry only we add some verbal punishment to our misery. 

Looks more and more like Pinocchio is showing us a boy coming of age as Joan suggested - when you think of it the Jesus story hmm if Jesus is as man, he had to have had some coming of age experiences and yet, all we hear about is his independent foray staying in the Temple and teaching while each of his parents assumed Jesus was with the other - hmm either too perfect to fit our idea of a son of God or selective memory was used to write the story of his life. Too bad, that could have been a real bit of guidance on many levels.

With nothing but repeats on PBS during this fund raising time I ought to watch Home Alone again in retrospect to realizing it is the modern story of Pinocchio with a boy of today satisfying his hunger and how he negotiates a cat and a fox and his desire for a fun Christmas with his parents off, not in jail but not easily able to return home.   

bellamarie

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2015, 01:52:11 PM »
Well Barb, I have to admit you're mentioning Gepetto being a carpenter thus seeing him as Joseph the father took me a bit off guard, but I can see where you would assume I meant Joseph, which believe it or not, I was actually referring to God the Father, in the blessed trinity I was seeing.  Now, before we leap too far, I have to say it is of my background and relationship with my faith that I am seeing this, not meaning it literally in the sense these three characters are exactly those of the trinity.  Although we do not have the knowledge of Jesus's life as a child other than his birth, his going off to preach in the temple as a young boy, and then we learn of him around the age of thirty, we do know he had many struggles to bear on his journey to the cross and crucifixion.  These were not of his own making, but what God had planned for him on earth.  Now, our dear little Pinocchio on the contrary is making a mess of his life due to not keeping with the Commandments.  He is determined to be led astray by temptation, disobedience, greed, and wanting to be independent.  All these are human characteristics of any little boy or girl for that matter, and yes, as adults as well.  Coming of age is certainly a theme of this story, but it is not by chance the author has chosen to sprinkle in all the "similes, analogies, metaphors and symbols" and might I add, proverbs, parables and teachings of the Bible.  I don't think it is "overzealous" at all, for me I see the author showing to his readers that he is not only a Christian man, but he is using these as the teaching tools of life.  IMO    ;)

Not to change the topic, which is fine with me if we do, I would like to ask if others are seeing the different things that are from other fairy tales such as the Gingerbread Man, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland and a few others?  I'm going to have to take the time to search and see which books came first.  So many to mention once we conclude the story.  I have to admit to reading ahead since my 56 page book had no chapters and was such a short read.  I finished the ibook last night because I was curious to see how a book with 338 pages was condensed to a book of just 56 pages.  Now I want to find time to watch the Disney movie tomorrow. 

I watched Home Alone with my four year old granddaughter last weekend when she spent the night.  Oh we laughed so much our bellies hurt!  I didn't correlate it to Pinocchio because the two criminals were tortured by Macaulay Culkin as Kevin McCallister, rather than Pinocchio was tortured for his bad choices in this story.  Again a surprise for me to see this in your post!!  Isn't it so much fun upturning these wonders.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2015, 04:50:34 PM »
ah ha - yes, the Trinity - so many analogies - maybe that is it - we talk about the classics and maybe this is our real lesson - that a classic allows for many, not only deeper understandings based on stories we hold most dear like the Bible and for many the Greek, Roman, Irish and Norse myths but also, we can see various aspects of the parable based on our various viewpoints.

I became more curious about the cat and the fox to see if they represented something that is no longer part of our modern associations. So of course turned to my trusty Encyclopaedia of Traditional Symbols by JC Cooper - still find this to be the better book for researching literary symbols - any how sure enough - the Fox we still do associate with cunning however, more...turns out the Christian interpretation is The Devil, the deceiver, cunning, guile, fraud, feigning death to trap its prey; the treachery and stratagems of Satan. 

Get this, interesting side note, the Scandinavian interpretation is the 'light of the fox' is the aurora Borealis.

But knowing our story was written in Tuscany Italy the choice of a Fox is really ominous.

Wow - had no idea the choice of a cat is just as ominous - The Christian symbolism for a cat is also Satan; darkness, lust; laziness. I have heard some preach that Satan comes to us in many guises - yet, I have seen photos and read stories of the many cats that at one time in the hundreds were present at various Italian landmark buildings and statues. I'm thinking maybe this is no longer true since there are so many tourists that would scare them away - An interesting dichotomy, the many cats, (I guess feral cats) roaming the streets of Italy where symbolically they are associated with the Devil.

I am also thinking we still douse the poor with cold water - not fugitively, but symbolically we make it so difficult for them and prefer assisting them as the 'other' - therefore, we are more at ease helping them if they live in far off places than those in our own community.

How much fun you are planning Bellamarie - to look at other well known fairy-tales and see them as a surface to a deeper story - what a great project you are taking on...

Well starting tomorrow we go into chapter 13 through 24. Lots of encounters that remind me more of a string of short stories tied together. The information about Collodi says that when the story was first published in the newspaper it stopped at what is now chapter 15 with the hanging death of Pinocchio and he was urged to continue - the continuation appears seamless enough - I wonder if there was any adjustment made to the hanging scene so the story could seamlessly continue - so tomorrow we are into the continued story that eventually was published as a book 3 years after it's newspaper debut.

bellamarie

« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2015, 09:38:22 PM »
I saw the cat and the fox as the devil.  They tempt and trick Pinocchio, just like Lucifer did Adam and Eve, and continues to do so today with anyone willing to be tempted.  This is why I teach my CCD religion students to be on guard because the devil comes in many different forms. 

Good find Barb about the original newspaper ending was the hanging death of Pinocchio.  Interesting since Jesus hanging on the cross was the ending of his story as well.  After I read my short 56 pg book, then read the 338 version I felt like it should and could have ended much sooner.  There are things in the longer version that did not appear in the shorter version.  The ending is a bit different as well, I was clearly able to see the Trinity in full light on the last page in my short version, that did not give the the same feeling in the longer version, because the ending went further.  I'll comment more about this once we have completed the book.

The other fairy tales were just jumping out at me as I read along, so I kept notes as I would find one.  It's like an "OH GEE!" moment.  I love when I read a book and see so much more into it.  Another surprise story/movie is The Lorax.  I watched it with my grandchildren for the first time last Christmas and I was jumping out of my chair recognizing how it followed scripture, parables and Bible teaching.  My nine year old granddaughter was amazed as I pointed it out to her.  She goes to a Catholic elementary school so she was very familiar as I would explain to her how the characters and things happening follow our faith.  My hubby was quite shocked as well since he had watched it many times and never saw it before. 

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2015, 08:48:57 AM »
This is great Pinocchio museums and parks in Italy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK2R0lHCPnQ

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2015, 04:26:39 PM »
Clearly, Pinocchio is much loved in Italy. Why? I'm betting children really identify with him: a good heart, but taken in by evil impulses over and over.

There is also an element of the Pickarest (I can't spell it!) novel (like Tom Jones by Henry Fielding)

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2015, 11:30:31 PM »
Tried to track down Joan the Pickarest - spelled it without the K and with a w and instead of the i I used an ea and also did an i where the e is in the rest - all to no avail - can you define the character or the book the character further - I sorta get the sound of the name but cannot put it together in my mind.

You opened up though so many other possibilities of many books that include choses presented to a character, who is trusting or thinks they can solve some dilemma that the choice ends up being a solution presented by someone with ill intent or even without Satin figure the innocent choice becomes the making of his own demise. 

Even the early book Pilgrim's Progress when on the road Christian is traveling with Hopeful and they decide to walk in the sweet meadow adjacent to the path that is alternately rocky and muddy - realizing their mistake they double back and fall asleep during the night not know they were on the grounds belonging to the Giant Despair, who snatches them and brings them to the dungeon of his castle, Doubting Castle.

The Giant's wife, Mrs. Diffidence (in Bunyan's time still meant, unbelief with Confidence it's opposite meaning trust) wants them beaten and starved to death. The prisoners, Christian and Hopeful escape because hidden in his shirt Christian suddenly remembers that he has a magic key called Promise, that will open all the doors and gates of the castle, and they escape back to the Holy Way. 

Sounds to me much like some of the escapades in the Adventures of Pinocchio.

Ha ho, just thought, is that not the story of Oedipus - he did not want to accept his fate and using his freedom he is victimized by his own hand - it too is a tale of caution with Oedipus pitted between being doomed by fate and undermined by his own hand.

Today we are so busy making sure we take responsibility for all our actions that our biggest downfall is taking responsibility for the actions of others especially family members. If we did this or that, rather than that or this it would not happen or the culprit would have acted differently.

We are looking at Pinocchio as if he should be responsible and even the story suggests to become a real boy he must, if not take responsibility at least obey his elders.  Maybe as elders we need more Blue Angels.

bellamarie

« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2015, 12:45:39 PM »
I think what the message of responsibility is for Pinocchio, is that he should do as his elders teach him because they love him and want only what is best for him, so yes, he will eventually grow up to be a "real boy."  Isn't this really what all parents and loved ones want for their children?  We must teach them and yes, allow them also to make their own choices, good or bad, so they can see the consequences of their choices to help them be confident, or to learn from.  Pinocchio really is your average little boy.  He has a good heart, he wants to please, he wants acceptance, he wants friends, and he promises to do better each time he is forgiven.  Again, that is exactly what most all children want.  I took my ccd students to reconciliation this past Wed. and explained to them how once the priest absolves them of all their sins, their slate is clean at that moment, until of course you begin to sin again, which we all will due to our humanness.  While walking back to class one of my students said to me, "I feel so good."  This is how I see Pinocchio each time he is forgiven.

The blue angel reminded me of my loved ones who have passed on and send me messages daily.  Their spirit is active in me and guide me, and remind me of the love within.   

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2015, 02:58:52 PM »
Yes, as we see most little boys - my reaction is the exclusive 'obey your elders' as protection that I see rampant today - I can hardly blame most parents with the changes in our neighborhoods but with the loss to children of running free to try and experiment either with a pal or a small group there seems to be more oversight by elders that hold tight strings. I worry that as young adults these children are only prepared to follow a leader and rules without the self-learned and self-practice of knowing their limits, especially their own practiced limits of behavior and conversation unless, it was practiced in secret and then, as young adults that secret nature is how they view the world so that trust is not easily accessed.

Few of us can imagine a child today having the freedom to roam or to be left alone to take care of himself that we are reading was natural for a young boy when this story was written?

Certainly the secretive, manipulative, coercive nature of those with ill intent towards a victim has not changed has it? The Cat and Fox are alive and strong - the parrot reminds me of the media or a neighborhood gossips that seem to be valued today. I know we have a few on our neighborhood facebook that help us know the problems in the area, with tips how to protect ourselves from a few unsavory, hate to say it but, neighborhood troubled teens who have been working on the dark-side during the night. So that part of the story holds after 130+ years.   

I think we are struck by the goodness that keeps Pinocchio continually rewarded as an extension of his good heart - an example in the first chapters was his concern and his dilemma how to protect his new friends from being thrown in the flame by the fire-eater, who Disney is now called out since the character he depicted is as a money-grubbing Jewish gypsy rather than, Mangiafuoco, who is tyrannical as well as, tender, generous & forgiving - yes, Pinocchio wants acceptability however, he is easily coerced into fantastical ideas of promise by those with devious intent.

I am wondering - we can so easily fall into the trap having seen the Disney version that this is a morality tale - I think the snake scene helps us see another glimpse at life's journey with good and bad as secondary - Pinocchio's life's journey includes the dark side of every aspect of good. Even the Blue Fairy does not always offer a gentle, warm message.

I was so confused by the snake scene - it was short and almost felt like an interruption to the story. Why - why was it included - how was this bit aiding our understanding of the theme? 

For this I had to go on a hunt - found two prevailing although, not exclusive messages - the one repeated message is without a mother birthing Pinocchio he jumps into a journey of a pre-teen and young teen which for a boy include initiation rights in most societies that break the attachment a boy has to not only his mother but all his female associations - this break is often in ceremony that includes a snake that is considered the female phallic - he, like all boys could not lead a father, a boy's greatest authority, out of the shark without having first broken his attachment to the females.

And the second message has to do with either the newly unified Italy or the church that are not what they seem - that any authority can easily explode and die with only one small aspect of the leadership or cooperation between parts failing, as the vein fails in the serpent. And more, for powerful leadership making fun of what they think is an obvious given can be its downfall. Like the French Revolution and the break in the Church between East and West and the church losing power and control with the rise of a united Italy, so too any powerful authority can easily explode.

This tale appears to have so many sides to it - no wonder in Italy it is considered as important a book as those written by Dante. 

bellamarie

« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2015, 12:46:46 AM »
I have to say it is a stretch for me to see Pinocchio has to break all ties from the females, considering he saw the blue fairy as a sister/mother figure and never really does unattach from her. 

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2015, 06:59:40 AM »
It is sure not the way we raise boys today is it - however, there are ceremonies that are about just that - several web sites go into how Pinocchio was raised motherless and the Blue Fairy is seen as taking on that role and the Blue Fairy dies to him at the time of the snake as well as, before the pigeon flies him to where his father was last seen.

My 'history' of sites visited only recorded a few of the sites - I think because one bled into the next and were not directly 'Googled' - -  here are two...

http://mondodomani.org/dialegesthai/il02.htm

http://cw.routledge.com/ref/religionandsociety/rites/gender.pdf

All the Italian sites that I read have nothing good to say about Disney and most wish he had named his move an adaptation of... or something that separated it from the message of the real story.

It is slow going because Google only translates a certain amount than I have to copy and paste the remainder and bit by bit put it into a translation web site. I cannot find BlueFish anywhere - they made it easier - all I had to do was enter the URL and the entire article or website was translated.

Reading all of this another aha - it appears Italians see the bible not wrapped in stories of good or preferred behavior over the bad, sinful behavior - Italians interpret the entire Bible, in web site after web site, as a book of redemption - what is good or bad is not an issue - I guess it is assumed that we all make choices that hurt someone or ourselves - it is the only thing I can think of as to why good versus bad or evil is not a message - but it sure puts a different consideration understanding literature since this approach says the highest value for the Italian culture is redemption, forgiveness, where bad behavior is the betraying of God by not offering forgiveness. It also explains the huge gap between Church and the legal arm of the state. No wonder the scene of being imprisoned in the Land of Simple Simon. 

Looking at Italian history I can see how often we in the US say, Italy does not have a strong backbone or as a nation they do not stand for anything - I remember, especially after WWII they were almost excused for not being strong enough to pull back from Germany, it was said that Germany drew Italy into the war. The brutal death of Mussolini and the horrific after death was supposed to represent Italian's innocents avenging themselves with the sacrifice of  their weak leader. With the Italian population's penchant towards redemption I'm thinking, if the national characteristic is to play the scamp followed by receiving, or offering forgiveness then, there are no lines in the sand.

Geppetto sure represents that aspect of the national character. Forgiveness may look softer without hard boundaries but in fact if you have ever had to forgive what seems like the unforgivable there is nothing soft about it. 

Talk about opening Pandora's box - this simple little tale ends up being not only a masterpiece but the key to understanding better the Italian Christian character. 

bellamarie

« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2015, 01:12:39 AM »
I am of Italian descent and I feel like forgiveness is a much more important focus of Christianity, versus good and evil. 

Barb"Forgiveness may look softer without hard boundaries but in fact if you have ever had to forgive what seems like the unforgivable there is nothing soft about it."

Never a truer statement, but..... I can vouch for Italians, when they have been trespassed upon it takes them years to forgive.  In this story it sort of amazed me at how instantly Pinocchio is forgiven by Gepetto and the Blue Fairy, with no punishment, regardless of how many times he disobeyed them.  Maybe the author felt the torture Pinocchio suffers from his on demise was enough punishment.