Author Topic: Re: PBS Masterpiece 2016 - Poldark, The Durrells in Corfu and Other PBS Programs  (Read 44788 times)

marcie

• Administrator
Re: PBS Masterpiece 2016 - Downton Abbey and Sherlock and Other PBS Programs
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2016, 10:38:57 AM »

See the 2015-2016 MASTERPIECE schedule

Let's talk about PBS programs that we enjoy.

DISCUSSING NOW

Wallander Season 4
May 8-22, 2016

Kenneth Branagh returns as Inspector Kurt Wallander in the Swedish sleuth’s farewell episodes, bringing the beloved, Emmy®-nominated series to a poignant end. Neither carnage, corruption, or terrifying lapses of memory can keep this brooding detective from cracking cases. In the final mysteries, Branagh gives a heartbreaking performance of a gritty cop starting to lose his grip. The series is based on the novels by Henning Mankell.

ALREADY DISCUSSED

Grantchester Season 2
March 27 - May 1, 2016

“As a priest, isn’t everything our business?” asks Reverend Sidney Chambers as he
 gets to the bottom of another baffling murder around the placid village of Grantchester. James Norton stars as the handsome, jazz-loving vicar, with Robson Green as his law-enforcement ally, Inspector Geordie Keating. The series is based on the acclaimed novels by James Runcie.

Downton Abbey Season 6
January 3- March 6, 2016

Rejoin this Emmy® and Golden Globe® award-winning drama for a sixth and final season.

Sherlock - The Abominable Bride
January 1; repeated on January 10, 2016

Benedict Cumberbatch (The Imitation Game) and Martin Freeman (The Hobbit) return as Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson in the acclaimed modern retelling of Arthur Conan Doyle's classic stories. But now, our heroes find themselves in 1890s London.

Discussion Leaders:  JoanP and marcie

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2016, 10:39:11 AM »
Ginny, you're right. It was Frybabe who posed the question about Moriarity being in Sherlock's mind all along-- a figment of his drug-augmented imagination. Like you, I think that it was only in this episode that Moriarity had a role in Sherlock's memory palace when he was trying to figure out the case of the abominable bride. In the previous episodes, I think that Moriarity was an actual rival.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2016, 12:33:30 PM »
Did you see where Alan Rickman died today - only age 69 - he was such a wonderful actor and I hoped to see more of him although I understand in recent years he was doing more directing - loved him in Sense and Sensibility.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Dana

• ::
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2016, 01:50:55 PM »
Downton Abbey is on amazon prime for free.  I have given up on netflx. It seems everything I want to watch is only available on DVD and I can't be bothered with that now...amazing ......I'm doing an acorn subscription with amazon at the moment, there are a few things they have I want to see......

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2016, 02:01:03 PM »
I would love to "stream." I have no earthly idea how to do it. Once you do it, can you keep the movie and watch it again or is it gone?

Will it only appear on the device you "streamed" it on or all of them? I don't have a Smart TV.

How does it work? I have Prime. I have no idea what to do.

Dana

« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2016, 03:59:28 PM »
Well, I never do it on tv.  If you look up ,say, Downton Abbey on amazon video you just click on watch now. You can watch it on any device I think.  I have a laptop and a notebook. You might have to download silver something or other the first time, but they tell you what to do......you can watch as many times as you like as long as they still have it.  They tell you when its going to be withdrawn.  I prefer watching stuff on my laptop but I may be weird, I think its more intimate and I like the subtitles in that format.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2016, 07:29:59 PM »
Thank you. One day when I have some leisure I think I'll try it. I've not had WiFi for but a short time and so have not been able to do it.

I also like a laptop type screen, for movie watching. I like to  use a DVD player, I have one which has quite a large screen, it's either 13 or 15 inches and I also like the size of the films and on some films the closed captioning. The size is huge to me when it sits so close. So I think I'll give the streaming a go, if it will play on any of the devices I have available. I wish I had gotten a Smart TV, I bet it would have played on that.

:)

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2016, 11:09:07 PM »
Barbara, I'm so sorry to learn that Alan Rickman died of cancer at only age 69. He was a wonderful actor. I too loved his portrayal of Colonel Brandon in Sense and Sensibility. He also played with Emma Thompson in the PBS broadcast of the Song of Lunch.

Steph

« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2016, 08:33:53 AM »
Amazon Prime has instructions on streaming on the site.. I have not done it, but I am the opposite, I love the bigger tv in my comfortable living room as opposed to my smaller computer in my office.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

Dana

« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2016, 12:04:40 PM »
I have just started watching The Wire. (on my laptop!)  I almost quit but now I'm hooked....5 series, super!!!

Re Alan Rickman....first I remember him was as Obadiah Slope, really slimy, marvellous. (Barchester Chronicles)

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2016, 12:22:28 PM »
Yes I read where he was known among actors and directors for a quick dry wit - and as I reviewed his movies I could see it - I bet he had a blast playing Obadiah if he saw the humor - he does play him a bit broad and maybe that is the source of his approach - I do have those tapes -

Not sure if I want to see Die Hard and yet, most of the obits speak to him playing in that movie - the one I would love to see but on Amazon the cheapest is $98 with the regular version from Amazon $554 is Truly, Madly, Deeply - I've been so enchanted with the books that I saw only 5 of the Harry Potter movies and did not look for the subtleties that folks are quoting on facebook. 
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Dana

« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2016, 02:21:49 PM »
yes, I think I must look at Die Hard.

Steph

« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2016, 08:29:10 AM »
I just cannot deal with that level of violence, so not me.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2016, 03:59:20 PM »
here you go - for everyone who likes the British Baking show and wants to improve their baking...

http://www.lifehack.org/356834/27-infographics-that-all-bakers-need?mid=20160118&ref=mail&uid=13700&feq=daily

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2016, 07:04:19 PM »
Neato!! I am printing that out.  Thank you!

Steph

« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2016, 09:30:42 AM »
Dont watch the show, but I have always been a baker.. bread,cake, pies, etc. Love to bake.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2016, 11:20:05 PM »

AND the  Great British Bake Off just won best competitive show or something like that on British TV.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2016, 11:06:41 AM »
Are any of you watching Mercy Street? It's set beyond the front lines of the Civil War in the chaotic world of the Mansion House Hospital in Union-occupied Alexandria, Virginia. See more at http://www.pbs.org/mercy-street/home/

I haven't watched it yet but have recorded the episodes.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2016, 09:45:21 AM »
Do you get Vera in the US? The series are based on Ann Cleeves' books, about a police detective in Northumberland. Brenda Blethyn places her. A new series has just started here and the first one was fab - another one tonight, plus we have Call the Midwife back - thank goodness for hard drive recorders, as all the best stuff is usually on a Friday or a Sunday night at the moment. Ann Cleeves is also the author of the Shetland police books being dramatised on Friday nights - the wonderful Douglas Henshall plays Jimmy Perez, the main detective, and this new series is much better than the last one, I think. Madeleine and I are hooked.

Rosemary

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2016, 01:54:05 PM »
so glad to hear the Mid-wife series is back with another set - here in my area Friday is mostly in-depth news - Sunday night is the big non-stop night - Saturday has a couple of new sets to a series but mostly repeats now - and so if you missed for instance Downton on Sunday the following Saturday it repeats - there is another run of the Father Brown series and the new show each week is Doc Martin and a new Doctor Who with Peter Capaldi. I do like the Doctor Blake mysteries and they started up with a new set late on Sunday night.

Have you noticed Downton seems almost like same old same old - I guess no fireworks since it is winding down - even this roo ha ha over the hospital is tame and I am tired of seeing Mary find love - this guy who drives autos is good looking but looks more like he walks in a cloud - no substance - I sure like the guy who she had the muck fight with when the pigs first arrived and who helped her get out of the relationship with Tony.

Edith is looking prettier with each show. Looks like she has really come into her own doing it her way.

Carson being married seems to have taken the air out of his tires -

Oh and it is so obvious with Mrs. Patmore she wants to be married - I'm betting on the inspector rather than Mr. Mason - Daisy is annoyed over her attention to Mr. Mason but I think she will have a suitor in Andrew.

Does Mr. Barrow finally get a break at kindness teaching Andrew how to read do you think - what a tortured soul who cannot feel OK within his own skin.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2016, 02:42:04 PM »
My lips are sealed Barb  :D

Steph

« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2016, 08:52:25 AM »
I hope that someone at some point before the end will shut Daisy up.. She is acting like a Queen of some sort.. and how Maggie Smith puts up with that snot of a ladies maid is beyond me.

CallieOK

« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2016, 12:25:36 PM »
Mr. Barrow has feelings!!!!! Amazing!

Last night, Mrs. Patmore talked about her house being ready and that a niece (I think) would be living with her.
I think Daisy is more than a wee bit jealous - and is blaming the wrong person. 

Wonder how long the new Mrs. Carson will let him get away with his "man of the house" routine? 

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2016, 01:53:51 PM »
I think it is more than jealous - if Mrs. Patmore moves in than all Daisy's dreams go out the window - she has been educating herself to take over the farm as Mr. Mason ages - not sure how it works legally but when he was on the old farm I think the plan was she would inherit the farm not realizing the farm is actually a long held tenant arrangement and so I do not know where that puts Daisy's future Mrs. Patmore or not...

CallieOK

« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2016, 02:04:12 PM »
Good point, Barb. 

Steph

« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2016, 09:23:12 AM »
Yes, I id remember Daisy  being told by him, that she would inherit.. just the writer must have decided to complicate the story a bit.. I think Edith is looking lovely finally.. Now of course Mary is getting nosy about Marigold. Mary is written as the most self centered person in creation.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2016, 12:01:08 PM »
Well they are sure stretching Downton - here next Sunday will be a repeat of the entire 8th season with the final episode the first Sunday in March - I believe it is March 6 - so we finally have Mary married and she sure was filled with venom towards Edith and that was quite a speech Edith had when she returned unexpectedly for Mary's wedding.

The scene of Thomas in the Tub was right out of the death of Tchaikovsky - and wow Carson is turning into a real grump.

Lovely the tea at Mrs. Patmore's B&B - and hilarious the gossip columnist being Spratt -

I was glad to see Maggie Smith back - I was concerned that her leaving for France was her exit - I bet it was before they decided to end the entire show.

With Mary married that leaves Anna unemployed just in time for her journey into motherhood -

Mrs. Patmore bringing up Rose's name I wonder if she and her husband with make a visit during the last segment -

We shall see what we shall see with Edith and my guess is that Carson retires and Thomas takes on the role with a very very slim staff.

Now that we know there is no farm to inherit there is still the question of what happens to Daisy.

Steph

« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2016, 09:06:38 AM »
Since I am always a week behind, I can see where next week will be fun. Mary changed her mind??  and I do so want Edith to be happy.

Flavia

• tamen, perseveravit
« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2016, 11:30:52 AM »
Mary without a maid just because she is married,  I don't think so.  Best News!! Granchester is coming back on Easter Sunday.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #69 on: February 25, 2016, 12:19:27 PM »
Hi Xine48 - welcome - have not seen your posts here in the PBS discussion - you could be right since Mary does not move - I forgot that - I am so used to thinking marriage moves moving to another house - well the wrap up should be interesting - we never do get into the 30s with yet another war but the end of the 'country houses' as they seem to be referred to in England is well under way and I wonder how much the story will show the continuation of fewer folks in service. Julius Fellows sure did a great job of keeping us guessing about something through out the entire production hasn't he.

Good news about Grantchester starting up again. 

Flavia

• tamen, perseveravit
« Reply #70 on: February 25, 2016, 07:30:05 PM »
I  have not been here before. I am one of the Latin students and I was just wandering about this morning.  I love Masterpiece (except for a few such as, Mr. Selfridge) and I adore Downton Abbey.  I will miss it terribly.  I have loved Julian fellows since he was the next door neighbor, Lord Killwillie, on Monarch of the Glen.  I hope he will do another series for Masterpiece.  One of my favorite scenes last week is when they found out that Bertie was a Marquis, Robert said, "Golly Gumdrops!"

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #71 on: February 25, 2016, 09:58:32 PM »
hahaha yes, that was fun to hear - golly gumdrops - it was a new one on me - do not think I ever heard that one.

Glad you're exploring - once you start posting regularly it is amazing how quickly the other posters feel they know you as one of the gang. The Library has someone posting every day and the Mystery is also quite active.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #72 on: February 26, 2016, 10:48:08 AM »
Welcome, Xine48! We're glad to have you join our PBS group. While I'm looking forward to seeing the last Downton Abbey episode, it will be difficult to let the series go  :(

Thanks for alerting us to the new Grantchester.

ginny

• Administrator
YAY for Mark Rylance (Cromwell in  Wolf Hall) for getting an Oscar he deserved for Wolf Hall, but for Bridge of Spies. What a gracious kind humble man. Every one of the Youtubes on him and his speeches show who and what he is.

HOORAY!

Nice guys don't always finish last!

In news of Wolf Hall, in quite a long interview I saw recently in the Tower of London he said they all would like to do Hilary Mantel's new book when she finishes but that she had become taken with the characters as the Wolf Hall productions had fleshed them out and it was taking her longer to get back into her own vibe of creativity as she envisioned in her book which I thought was interesting.

Steph

Just one more episode to go at Downton. I will miss them a lot. Love the period settings and the beautiful countryside as well as the actors.

marcie

• Administrator
Yes, it's been an interesting series, Steph. I'll miss a lot of the characters/actors.

Steph

I put the Grantchester?? series on my netflix requests, but will also check out my Amazon Prime.. People on here seem to like it and I am going to need a new thing to watch.

rosemarykaye

We are just starting a new series of Grantchester here Steph - it's something my daughter and I look forward to every Wednesday night.

We've just finished the latest series of Shetland, which was excellent, though we need the subtitles on and we live in Scotland - the Shetland accent is something else.

At the moment, our other favourite thing is The Night Manager (based on John Le Carre's book), which is so far absolutely outstanding. Tom Hiddleston in the title role, Hugh Laurie brilliant as a public school educated, hard as nails arms dealer, Olivia Coleman as the Intelligence Officer persuading Hiddleston's character to infiltrate Laurie's empire. Fabulous scenery too - already been in Zermatt, Greece (I think!), London and Cairo.

In between and for light relief, we have numerous recorded episodes of Father Brown :-)

Rosemary

marcie

• Administrator
Thanks for alerting us to The Night Manager, Rosemary. It will be interesting to see Hugh Laurie in that role. I see that it premieres in the U.S. on Tuesday, April 19 at 10/9c on AMC.

Steph

Zermatt,,, oh me, one of my very favorite places on earth. We visited it many many years ago and were enchanted by the cog railroad and walking everywhere. The beautiful church in the center of town and the climbers buried there. Went up a smaller version of the Matterhorn to see it better and I just checked and there I am.. standing tall with the Matterhorn far far in back of me.