Author Topic: Storied Life of A.J. Fikry ~ Gabrielle Zeven ~ June Book Club Online  (Read 39385 times)

PatH

• BooksDL
Re: Storied Life of A.J. Fikry ~ Gabrielle Zeven ~ June Book Club Online
« Reply #120 on: June 14, 2016, 08:45:28 AM »
The Book Club Online is the oldest  book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and  enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  Everyone is welcome.

June Book Club Online - Starts June 6

Storied Life of A.J. Fikry
by Gabrielle Zeven

You'll fall in love with Fikry, who owns a bookstore.  Does he have a future?  Will there be any bookstores in the future? Let's discuss it!

Join us in June.  This book is perfect for the lovely month of June, you'll laugh!  Yes, you will - OUTLOUD - We did.

If you are interested please post, we will post our discussion schedule shortly.

SCHEDULE

JUNE 6-9  CHAPTERS 1-3

JUNE 10-15 CHAPTERS 4-6 (Through "The Jumping Frog")

JUNE 16 CHAPTER 7 "The girls in Their Summer Dresses."

JUNE 18 CHAPTERS 8-10.

QUESTIONS, CHAPTERS 7

1. Did you guess Daniel was Maya's father?

2. The author said (somewhere) that Daniel was not a villain. Do you agree?

3. What does the end of the story tell you about Daniel?

4. Did Ismay park like that on purpose to cause an accident?

3. We have two authors portrayed in the book: Daniel and the author of "late Bloomer"? How are they the same? How different? Is either realistic?

Discussion Leaders: Joan K and Pat H

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #121 on: June 14, 2016, 08:46:02 AM »
I have such a lot to say about a Good Man, and I'm waiting for a shuttle to take me to the airport.  I should be able to say something in the airport, though.  Zevin often uses her stories in several ways, not all of them literally like the story.  I think the title, the good man is used as a convenient phrase for her story, not in any of o'Connor's meanings.  The theme of "family outing goes wrong" is horrible in O'Connor, and lighthearted in  Zevin.

Got to stop.  More later.

mabel1015j

« Reply #122 on: June 14, 2016, 10:42:29 AM »
I will return. We spent all of yesterday in the E R with my husband. More doc appointments thru the week. I'll read and return when I can.

Jean

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #123 on: June 14, 2016, 11:05:08 AM »
Oh, dear.  Take care.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #124 on: June 14, 2016, 11:17:44 AM »
The Spark Notes summary is accurate as to events, but misses both the quality of the writing and the point of the story, which is described elsewhere.  O'Connery was a very devout Catholic, and almost all of her stories are making the same point.  In every persn's lfe there comes a moment when they have a chance to accept God's Grace, and her purpose is to show a character at this moment.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #125 on: June 14, 2016, 11:22:50 AM »
Usually this happens at the moment of the character's death, and she often uses violence to drive home her point, often more than I care for.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #126 on: June 14, 2016, 11:24:17 AM »
Boarding any minute. 

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #127 on: June 14, 2016, 11:29:26 AM »
I'm not clear on her definition of Grace.  It seems to be mostly the realization of a different path available, rather than a complete acceptance of God, the beginning of the road, not the end.

In this story  the the Grandmother and the Misfit have this moment.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #128 on: June 14, 2016, 11:45:07 AM »
The Grandmother, when this intolerant, self-centered woman realizes that she and the Misfit are both part of the same humanity.  I don't understand the Misfit's moment well, but it's there, and there seems to be the possibility of something important for him in the future.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #129 on: June 14, 2016, 11:52:03 AM »
To me, what makes O'Connor worth reading is the quality of her description of her characters.  She is absolute pitch-perfect in her descriptions, and she takes you inside their heads so you really know them.

Seated, ready for takeoff.  See you later.

bellamarie

« Reply #130 on: June 14, 2016, 03:40:06 PM »
Safe travels PatH.

Jean I hope your hubby is okay.
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #131 on: June 14, 2016, 06:54:34 PM »
JEAN: I'll be thinking good thoughts about your husband.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #132 on: June 14, 2016, 07:03:40 PM »
Let's read the last chapter in this section, "Girls in their Summer Dresses" for Thursday. I'll work on  questions.

Note that the link to "A Good Man is hard to Find." is to a book of O'Conner's short stories. that is what is over 300 pages. "A Good Man" is short.

PATH: I really like your summary of O'Conner's writing and "A Good Man'". Both the summary BELLAMARIE found and the one I had miss the point.

What do the rest of you think?

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #133 on: June 14, 2016, 07:23:24 PM »
here is a link to "The Girls in their Summer Dresses."

http://www.classicshorts.com/stories/dresses.html

nlhome

« Reply #134 on: June 14, 2016, 07:54:18 PM »
To be honest, I have tried several times over the years to read the complete story A Good Man is Hard to Find. Too dark.

But I thought when I read this book that the title of the story was the tie to the book. Beyond that, perhaps the fact that she read some complicated literature, and Fikry is a complicated man.

bellamarie

« Reply #135 on: June 14, 2016, 08:36:30 PM »
Joan I am confused, is there a short story of "A Good Man"?  I could see the religious point O'Connor was making as far as the Grandmother and the Misfit, and how when she acted all high and mighty, yet then doubted if Jesus actually did raise the dead, the Misfit then decided to shoot her, thinking the only religion was meanness.  It was as if the Grandmother could not convince him otherwise, he may as well stick with what he firmly believed in, violence. As far as a correlation to the chapter in the book the only similarity is that A.J. does not believe in religion either.  He tells Lambiase when he suggests having a baptism for Maya that he is not religious, so they decide to have just the party but still made Lambiase and Ismay as her Godparents.  Which I thought was a little bizarre.

nlhome, I am with you the story is a bit too dark for me and apparently for A.J. and even Amy's Dad.

Her Southern Gothic literature appear to be normal at first glance, but they eventually reveal themselves to be strange, disturbing, and sometimes horrific.  Too creepy for me!   :o

Great to hear we are going on to the next chapter.   
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”

Leah

« Reply #136 on: June 15, 2016, 12:05:42 PM »
A Good Man covers pages 5-32 and appears to be triple-spaced, so it is no where nearly as long as it sounds. AGMIHTF is the very first story in the collection.

bellamarie

« Reply #137 on: June 15, 2016, 02:19:40 PM »
Thank you Leah for the clarification.

So on to the chapter of The Girls In Their Summer Dresses.   I first read the short story Joan provided the link to.  As I am reading about Michael the cad, who can't keep his eyes off of every woman in his sight even while with his wife Frances, I am trying to imagine A.J. and Amelia, and thought there is no way A.J.'s character could change this drastically after they marry.  Well then I began reading the chapter in our story and realized I had forgot about Daniel the womanizer, cheat and adulterer.  Like I said, this author does a great job of switching us from one character to another to the point of forgetting the ones not in the present chapter.

This chapter was not ONLY a shocker, but it revealed more than I had suspected.  So, Maya is actually Daniel's daughter by him having an affair with Marian Wallace.  Egads!!!!   How on earth could Daniel sit back and allow another man to raise his daughter?  Now it makes sense why she was dropped off at the bookstore....Daniel being a writer/author in the note left in the basket with baby Maya stated, the mother wanted her to grow up around books.  Hence it was an easy out for Daniel, he could see Maya grow up and be around her, teach her to love books and to get interested in writing like himself without ever having to reveal he is her father.  But who knew Ismay was so smart to add two and two together and come up with knowing Maya was Daniel's from the affair?

I've never cared much for Ismay from the beginning, but she has done no good deed in keeping this a secret, unless she was hoping to one day be A.J.'s wife and Maya's mother.  So, now the plot thickens, did Ismay harm Marian?  I've suspected she stole Tamerlane, but it seems this woman could be far worse than a thief.

That last sentence in this chapter ..... Yes, Daniel thinks just after impact but before death, like that.  The passage hadn't been as bad as he had thought.

So, is Ismay responsible for two deaths now?  And the narrator seems to know people's thoughts and feelings that only that person could feel and think.  Like a supernatural spirit. 

Come out, come out wherever you are.......  those lurking can jump in anytime now.  I'm in need of a bit more thoughts here.  I feel like the child who was put into the fair's funhouse and am trying to find my way out with no help, just twists and turns, and bumping into mirrors.   ???    ???    ???

Frybabe

« Reply #138 on: June 15, 2016, 04:56:14 PM »
I thought those last three chapters were extraordinary. I haven't posted because I went ahead and read the rest of the book. Can't remember just where in the story some of these things occured and don't want to spoil it for those who are behind.

Yes, I don't care much for Ismay either and have had my suspicions. George would certainly see some of his mother in Ismay. She was also a teacher, controlling (he thought), but she was mostly just a mother concerned for and overly helpful towards her only son. George never appreciated his mother trying to be helpful; even when he was small she said he wanted to do things for himself (like tying his own shoe laces). I can see Ismay fussing over her kid and driving the child and herself crazy. What a disappointment Daniel must have been after they married. He was not the person she imagined he would be.

I wasn't too surprised to find that Daniel was the biological father, but I did miss that Maya was black until the subject came up regarding the difference in skin color. I don't think skin color was mentioned anywhere else in the book except for A.J. I think there was mention of hair color in a brief description of one or two of the characters, but I didn't pay much attention to it.

The car crash and Daniel's death was a surprise. Was Ismay intending murder/suicide by motor vehicle? The thought crossed my mind, but in the end, I just think she was just madder than H*** and was careless.

There are more surprises to come.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #139 on: June 15, 2016, 05:20:32 PM »
You've already answered some of my questions.

1. Did you guess Daniel was Maya's father?

3. What does the end of the story tell you about Daniel?

3. We have two authors portrayed in the book: Daniel and the author of "late Bloomer"? How are they the same? How different? Is either realistic?

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #140 on: June 15, 2016, 05:27:45 PM »
The questions are in  the heading.

NLHOME: I agree with you. I read "A Good Man" for a book group and hated it.

FRY: glad you liked the book. But please stay with us.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #141 on: June 15, 2016, 10:33:52 PM »
We discussed A Good Man here on SeniorLearn, and it was an excellent discussion, but I hated the story too.  She's such a good writer, and her point is a good one, but I was horrified at so much violence. Surely she didn't need THAT much.

bellamarie

« Reply #142 on: June 16, 2016, 01:33:46 PM »

No, I don't think Ismay wanted to cause an accident.  Just earlier before she found Daniel she had thoughts of walking out into the ocean contemplating suicide, but decided she wanted to live.  She got too upset and involved in confronting Daniel about the fact Maya was his due to his sleeping with Marian Wallace, the accident happened before she could gain control of herself to drive as Daniel told her to. 

No, I did not guess Maya was Daniel's child.  That came as a shock to me. 

Trying to keep up with all the characters in this story, and then trying to piece the short stories meaning to the chapters have me coming and going and missing possible clues along the way.  I'm usually spot on in solving mysteries and puzzles but this author has me distracted and a bit confused.  I was concentrating on the stolen Tamerlane I never stopped to look further into the Marian Wallace plot.  When Lambiase said Marian Wallace was black during the investigation of her suicide, and then the mention of skin color later, it didn't seem to matter much except for me thinking the author is making racial points. 

Frybabe, I suspected some have read ahead and are not posting because they don't want to give away anything.  Just jump in and give your thoughts on how you felt as we read the chapters.  I could use a little help here.  :) 

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #143 on: June 16, 2016, 10:13:25 PM »
Am sorry, I've been under the weather, so to speak!   Will try to get here to read and talk about the rest of the story.   Meanwhile, will finish re-reading the book which I enjoyed so very much.

Later................

bellamarie

« Reply #144 on: June 16, 2016, 11:53:51 PM »
Ella, so sorry to hear you have not been feeling well.  Looking forward to your thoughts about the book.  I hope you feel better soon.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #145 on: June 17, 2016, 12:17:38 AM »
ELLA: so sorry. Come in when you can.

Sorry not yo have come in earlier. Had a stomach bug that kept me tied up, but I'm OK now.

Let's read the first three chapters of Part II for Saturday, 6/18. IS THAT TOO RUSHED FOR EVERYONE? OR HAS EVERYONE READ AHEAD? If you've already read them, PLEASE don't jump the gun on Friday. Wait for Saturday, and give others a chance to catch up.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #146 on: June 17, 2016, 12:30:52 AM »
Meanwhile, there's still stuff to talk about. What about our two authors: Daniel and the author of "Late Bloomer." Which, if  any, seems more realistic? They each wrote a good book at age 26. How do the consequences and their reactions differ? How much of Daniel's womanizing is explained by this reaction? Which of the two is better off?

Frybabe

« Reply #147 on: June 17, 2016, 06:05:40 AM »
Looks like I am in good company being a bit under the weather. I sincerely hope I am not getting the beginnings of bronchitis. Sure feels like it with the "soda can fizzy" effect. I very rarely get a chest cold or any coughing (I'm a sneezer). Anyway, my one and only bout with bronchitis around 25-30 years ago left me with a hearty appreciation for being able to breath.

Ella, hope you are feeling well soo.

JoanK
, glad you are feeling better now.

Leah

« Reply #148 on: June 17, 2016, 09:40:53 AM »
I'm sorry to say I have fallen behind with reading - summer distractions, plus I am new at the retirement game. So many new things to do and so many interests are being revived that I've fallen off the book bus temporarily. Hope to catch up and be back shortly.

Frybabe: Who is the George you mentioned in your comments about Ismay? I missed something there.🤔 (Hope you can shake off that bronchial intrusion! I've had bouts with that, too.)

I don't sense that Ismay is actually malevolent enough to commit murder, per se. I agree with Bellamarie that she seems a likely suspect in the disappearance of Tamerlane. (Aside: A.J. Seems to have gotten over the loss of it - and it is as if he identifies Maya as an equal treasure when he gives her Tamerlane for a middle name.)

bellamarie

« Reply #149 on: June 17, 2016, 10:09:47 AM »
Frybabe, I hope you are not coming down with bronchitis, my hubby gets it about once a year and it is no fun.  I just got better after three weeks of upper respiratory and ear infections.  I've never been told I have allergies until I went to my doctor and he said allergies are to blame for my misery.  It took two rounds of antibiotics to kick it. 

JoanK., I have not read ahead, and I am certain now I did not read this book as I thought I had. I know I planned on reading it after reading the first few pages online a couple years back.   The next three chapters of Part II sound perfect, not too much for me since I don't have much on my agenda.

Leah, I retired a year ago April and I have never been so busy in my life since retirement.  I have tons of baby boomer friends who are now retiring and they are saying the same thing.  Isn't it so much fun to go to bed and get up whenever you feel like it?  I have been doing volunteer work one day a week a few times a month, and now that summer is here I have my grandkids to daycare during the day three days a week, so my hubby and I who is also retired, are enjoying taking them to the movies, park, etc.  Just saw the new movie Alice Through the Looking Glass with them this past Tuesday.  Life is good......

bellamarie

« Reply #150 on: June 17, 2016, 10:27:17 AM »
JoanK., to try to answer a couple more of you questions:

Definition: Villain, (in a film, novel, or play) a character whose evil actions or motives are important to the plot) 

By this definition I do not see Daniel as a villain, unless I find out later he had something to do with Marian Wallace's death.  I am beginning to think Ismay is the villain in this story.  She confronts Daniel and let's him know she knew about Marian Wallace sleeping with him.  pg. 168 "Don't lie!  I know that she came here to kill herself in your front yard.  I know that she left Maya for you, but you either were too lazy or too much of a coward to claim her."  "If you thought that was true, why didn't you do something?"   Daniel asks.  "Because it isn't my job!  I was pregnant, and it wasn't my responsibility to clean up after your affairs." 

So who did bring the baby to the bookstore and write the note?  Did Ismay, Daniel or Marian? 

bellamarie

« Reply #151 on: June 17, 2016, 11:13:59 AM »
3. We have two authors portrayed in the book: Daniel and the author of "late Bloomer"? How are they the same? How different? Is either realistic?  What about our two authors: Daniel and the author of "Late Bloomer." Which, if  any, seems more realistic? They each wrote a good book at age 26. How do the consequences and their reactions differ? How much of Daniel's womanizing is explained by this reaction? Which of the two is better off?

The Late Bloomeris a book about the possibility of finding great love at any age.  pg. 99

"I know the subject matter could be incredibly corny, but when you see how it's wri__"  pg.12  (Amelia explaining the book to A.J.)

The Children in the Apple Tree "It's about the follies of man.  It's a love story and a tragedy." pg. 113  (Daniel explaining the book to Maya.)

"That does not sound like something I would read,"  Maya says.  "Bit corny, eh?"

Both books are a love story, and things happen to the protagonists later in life they did not expect.  Much like A.J.'s life changing when he least expected it to and finding love after a loss.

As far as the two authors, Lenora is sophisticated and Daniel is a womanizer.  I don't see much similarity, other than neither's book seemed to be very popular and neither of them are well known in the publishing field.  Both plots in their books are realistic as far as I am concerned even though they seem cliche' and corny.  Not sure which are better off, I suppose it depends on their own personal happiness before the accident.  Daniel says he still love Ismay, he didn't see all this coming, yet at this point I fear he is dead.  Lenora seems to be happy and has just read at A.J. and Amelia's wedding, so she would appear better off as far as life is concerned.

So Daniel could represent the woman in The Children in the Apple Tree book, and A.J. could represent The Late Bloomer.

Am I making any sense at all???   

Oh well off to read the next three chapters to see where this craziness is going.

Frybabe

« Reply #152 on: June 17, 2016, 11:47:41 AM »
Leah, George is my best friend. I've known him for about 30years. He taught me a lot about computers and being an independent person. I've always thought him a bit idiosyncratic, very intelligent, very likeable, and fun to go places with. I am keeper of the keys and housmaid to his five cats when he is away on one of his frequent trips.

BellaMarie, it is hard to believe a whole year has passed since you retired. I wonder if I picked this whatever it is up from my sister. She reports having something similar a few weeks back. I was over to her place on Memorial Day for hotdogs and burgers on the grill. Don't think it is bonchitis, just don't want it to develop into such.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #153 on: June 17, 2016, 12:13:22 PM »
Just read  the GIRLS IN SUMMER DRESSES!  Loved the story, as it could have been told about myself and my husband, who always looked at pretty girls, and when I noted it and perhaps complained (?) he said that it was just a natural inclination and no harm in it.   True.  A woman or a wife would do well to  just smile about it; of course, if you see a handsome man you could point that out to him, haha

Still haven't got back to the book, will...............................I must see how I applies to the characters.

bellamarie

« Reply #154 on: June 17, 2016, 03:18:29 PM »
Frybabe,  Yes one year ago April.  Funny how time flies.  I was with my daughter in law's mother and she and I came down with this at the exact same time so we assumed one was carrying it.  Her doctor told her it was viral and gave her no meds and she is still suffering with it, my doctor gave me two rounds of antibiotics, claritin script and flonase.  I'm finally feeling back to normal only some drainage.

Ella, I can't wait to hear what your thoughts are on the story.  I am of Italian descent, we see our hubby look at other women and Mama Mia.....not good!!  Yes, what is good for the goose, is good for the gander, or in this case Michael and Frances.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #155 on: June 17, 2016, 04:24:56 PM »
FRY: hope you can shake off whatever it is!

LEAH: a new retiree! welcome to this phase of your life. One piece of advice: it's easier to volunteer than it is to "un-volunteer" once you're committed. You might want to add activities slowly until you see you have the right balance (for you) of activities and free time.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #156 on: June 17, 2016, 04:31:27 PM »
BELLAMARIE:: I changed the post about the two authors, realizing it wasn't clear. But you had seen the earlier version. The corrected post reads:

Daniel and the author of "The Late bloomer"  "each wrote a good book at age 26. How do the consequences and their reactions differ? How much of Daniel's womanizing is explained by this reaction? Which of the two is better off?"

t seems to me the fact that the Zavin had both authors writing their "best" book at the same age must mean that she is comparing them.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #157 on: June 17, 2016, 04:33:11 PM »
Well there certainly isn't any doubt about the relevance of this short story to its chapter.  Michael looks at every pretty girl who passes, and Daniel sleeps with every pretty girl who doesn't say no.  Daniel is one end of a spectrum--looks with the intention of taking.  Michael is the middle, looks, hasn't taken so far, but might some day, and the other end is the man who looks with no intention of taking, just because it's natural to enjoy the appearance of the opposite sex.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #158 on: June 17, 2016, 04:35:22 PM »
Some of us are lagging and reeling. It's okay if you haven't read the new section by Saturday. I don't want yo lose anyone. Let's wait til Monday (and I won't complain if anyone wants to comment earlier.

Leah

« Reply #159 on: June 17, 2016, 06:42:55 PM »
Thanks a lot for that golden advice, JoanK! And I like the Monday starting date, too!!
More later.