Author Topic: Classics Forum  (Read 351944 times)

roshanarose

Re: Classics Bulletin Board
« Reply #160 on: August 25, 2010, 10:39:44 PM »

Paestum, a complex of Greek Temples in  Southern Italy.

Interested in Latin Courses? Learn More About Our Latin Courses

Please share here news, clips, magazine or newspaper articles you find that would be of interest to those of us who love the classics world.

Hi Dana (of the Danae) - I always say that Greek verbs, both Ancient and Modern, could only be learned and understood by the Immortals.  They are hell!  When I was studying, so in thrall was I of all things Greek, I learned Ancient Greek and Modern Greek together.  My best friend who is Greek joined me.  I remember so well one day our AG Professor holding his hands over his ears and grimacing, his eyes wild.  Maria and I had just finished reading something from "The Apology of Socrates" Plato and we thought we were pretty hot.  He told us sternly that if he had not had the text in front of him he would not have understood a word we had said, and Plato certainly wouldn't have either.  Then we realised we had both been reading the text using Modern Greek pronunciation.  We had problems with both classes because of this.  For some strange reason Modern Greek has slightly different pronunciation than AG, although the monks and Koine have been blamed.  For instance delta is pronounced thelta; beta is pronounced as veta; eta is only pronounced as eta; and omega and omikron have the same pronunciation, a short "o".  This may not sound like it makes a lot of difference, but it does.  Then AG has those absolutely awful little particles like  με και μεν και μην και εκ και ουκ και νυν and on and on, and on.  και means and  :o.  Also MG only uses one accent, whereas AG uses many accents/enclitics.  So MG has rid itself of enclitics and polytonics and particles.  I can understand AG if I concentrate on it and speak it out loud.  But the verbs, omg those verbs.  AG has kindly left MG with verbs in all their different forms and MG has introduced some new ones.  Irregular verbs are a nightmare and I still don't know them.  It is hell to teach them, I know because I have tried.  MG and AG are pure grammar, after all the Greeks were said to have invented it.

I am only just starting, but sense eyes glazing, (not mine) so will stop.  It is great to know there is someone out there who likes the Greeks, Dana.  Ginny knows I am just kidding.

Mistake alert:::::: με is NOT a particle, it means "with".  Sorry!!!!
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

roshanarose

« Reply #161 on: August 25, 2010, 10:51:03 PM »
Someone told me once that Latin doesn't use definite and indefinite articles.  Greek on the other hand uses articles for every noun.  So you must know gender, whether you want to or not.  AG and MG both have masculine, feminine and neuter, of course, the articles change morphologically according to case.  It would be great if someone here knew both AG and Latin.  It would help prepare me for Ginny's Latin course.

I forgot to mention that another difference between MG and AG is letter combinations.  eu/ev; au/av; eg  euphony is pron evphony; automobile is pron avtomobile.  AG obviously doesn't have the word automobile, but auto means self, so you get my gist.

Also hoi polloi is pronounced ee pollee in MG.
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

Dana

• ::
« Reply #162 on: August 26, 2010, 11:45:45 AM »
Hi Ginny I think you are right about a revival of Plautus because without any trouble at all I was able to order an edited version of the Amphitruo from Amazon.  And when I looked thru it on line there were double as many notes as play!! (like you said)
Still waiting for it to arrive.  The Comedy of Errors is based on the Amphitrio so I shall give them my all, haven't read the comedy of errors.  A few yrs ago I found Folger's versions of the plays--so very useful, one page of Shakespeare, opposite page of notes.......life made easy!!

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #163 on: August 26, 2010, 02:08:33 PM »

Great, go for it!  You may like Plautus, since you have a Greek language background, I think you want to try his Menaechmi too tho.

Oh yes, depending on the commentary, they just about translate it for you, it should be quite enjoyable and I don't know too many people who are  reading the Amphitruo.  A good commentary also has a lot of background notes and notes on anomalies in the language and let's face it, Plautus has them all. I went to bed wondering why my old text for a college course  had so many notes,  but I also seem to remember taking copious lecture notes, so it seems more was needed than what I have in the book.

I  suspect my own memory is quite faulty,  however,  as I see, unfortunately  very clearly that I actually wrote, it's my hand, IN my Latin text which  to me as an instructor was anathema, I would never do that today. I also apparently was quite taken with a young man called Leon, my goodness the follies of youth. How embarrassing.  hahahaa

The sources I have (but these are the same ones who say it's the Menaechmi which influenced the main plot of the  Comedy of Errors,  what do they know?) hahaha say the theme  of Amphitruo  was popular with Moliere, Dryden with music by Purcell and Jean Giraudoux, so you have a lot to compare it with.  I think you'll have a wonderful time and a real adventure.

Plautus is tough. :)

Dana

« Reply #164 on: August 26, 2010, 03:07:34 PM »
Ginny, I know you think it bad to write in the texts but I have to confess that I always do it--only Latin & Greek texts--seems to make them more mine somehow.
According to "Shakespeare, his life and works" the comedy of errors is based on both those Plautus plays--the Menaechmi about twins and the Amphitruo about masters and servants becoming confused.  I shall attempt the translation and then look up a translated version, I won't beat my head over it endlessly........I did that with some Horace and it worked out well, I learned stuff and enjoyed the poetry much more that if I had just read a translation.

Bow_Belle

« Reply #165 on: August 27, 2010, 03:46:20 AM »
Hi folks!

have just found out that there is a roman villa about 15 miles from here!
here is the website
http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/somerset/hi/people_and_places/history/newsid_8908000/8908994.stm
regards Gay hector

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #166 on: August 27, 2010, 09:50:25 AM »
hahaha Dana, do you write in your book? :)   I forgot to tell the last F2F class at Furman last year about it until near the end, and you should have seen the faces of shock and dismay, lots of laughing.  What a joy that class was.  One of the students, a psychologist, told me that actually SHE had been taught  that writing in a book, notes, etc., gave the student or person making the notes a more personal connection (I can't recall how she put it) TO the work involved and was a good thing.  hahaha

This after I had expounded on the "disconnect" theory which I was taught (and apparently never espoused until I got up in front of a class) hahaha. And which I believe, actually, so continue to force self to look only at the text. One day I'll come a cropper, I have no doubt.

Sometimes I'd like to,  tho. hahahaa  I think, at our ages, we can present the idea and then leave it to the student to find what he feels is most advantageous and works best for him. It's only taken me 7 years to figure that out, but every year is a learning experience for me, too.  :)

Gay what a wonderful slide show you've brought here, and it shows something fabulous about Britain,  too, (not to mention you probably have one under your back garden, I'd be out there digging like an EF Benson character, night and day hahaha)  have you been out to the site yet?

But (1) look at that MOSAIC coming up out of the ground, and (2) note how they use volunteers from the public to dig.

Fishbourne Palace in Sussex was entirely done by volunteers with, of course, archaeologists heading it up, I would KILL to live in  England  and "help" on a dig.  I wonder what software they use for that slide show, it's fabulous.

Thank you for bringing it here!

roshanarose

« Reply #167 on: August 28, 2010, 08:25:14 PM »
Unfortunately, the only things I find when I dig up my backyard are fire ants and snails; lizards and the odd snake.  Would much prefer to live where you live. 

Do you watch "Time Team"?  One of my favourite TV programs.

Maryemm

« Reply #168 on: August 29, 2010, 06:54:42 AM »
 Have you wondered why men wear (white) socks with sandals? Wonder no more!
A snippet in today's paper reveals the answer.

Archaeologists on a dig in York have found fragments of cloth on a rusty nail that seem to prove that Romans wore socks with their sandals!

Despite their apparent rarity in the sculptural record, we know that socks (udones) were fairly common. As most people reading this will already know, socks are in fact mentioned in one of the Vindolanda letters (which also tells us that soldiers could also receive clothing as gifts from their families) and are probably shown on the Cancalleria reliefs. Socks could be made in two ways, either by being cut from fabric and stitched together or by being made by the sprang work method, which is reasonably similar to crocheting. Examples of both types have survived, with the cloth type surviving not only from Vindolanda but also from a series of waterlogged graves in Gaul, and the sprang work type is known from examples which have survived in Egypt (the Egyptian examples were brightly striped and were designed with a separate toe to accommodate thong type sandals). The possible socks shown on the Cancalleria reliefs lack toes and heels and could have been made from a cloth or sprang work tube with a horizontal slit halfway down which would open around the heel when the sock was put on.

http://www.romanarmy.net/coldweather.htm

I see quite a few "new names" here. Do, please, come on over also to the Classics Lounge where we talk about anything and everything.

roshanarose

« Reply #169 on: August 29, 2010, 09:34:02 AM »
Maryemm

I thought that only academics wore socks with sandals.  In the Land of Cool one could not be more uncool.

I have not heard of the Classics Lounge.  Where will I find it?

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #170 on: August 29, 2010, 10:28:50 AM »
The Classics Lounge is not titled well, it's actually a Student Lounge with access to the Latin students so they can congregate and kvetch. hahahaa This one is open to everyone and seems to have taken on a new and exciting life. I love it, myself.

We need some new titles and are working on that, anybody have any suggestions for this  one?

Thank you Mary for the socks info, that's just ...a prime example of how new finds are changing daily the way we think about the Romans. I have a feeling that there's a lot more to come!

RoshannaRose: No, I had NOT heard of the Time Team and I see they have several older programs one can view, they look fabulous. Is there one particular program you especially enjoyed?

The resources available today to those interested in the Classics online are simply breathtaking. We might need to put some links here in the heading for those coming by who might enjoy some of the programs.

catbrown

« Reply #171 on: August 29, 2010, 11:47:02 AM »
Well, here's a resource with all the current news, including a lot about socks (scroll down).
http://rogueclassicism.com/

Maryemm

« Reply #172 on: August 29, 2010, 12:17:16 PM »

Oh dear! I forgot that the Lounge was  exclusive.    ;D   All students are welcome here at:

http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=20.0

( Agree about the title, Ginny!)

I especially enjoyed one particular programme as it dealt with Green Island in Poole Harbour. The Time Team tried to emulate the production of a shale bracelet similar to the ones produced and distributed from there during the Iron Age, (along with other artifact.)
At that time the island was owned by a former neighbour, and she was presented with the bracelet at the end of the programme. It made interesting viewing.

Gumtree

« Reply #173 on: August 29, 2010, 01:37:12 PM »
Time Team is a great hit with DH and myself. Have enjoyed a few series shown on TV. Love it when they try to make replica artifacts using the same (or what they think are the same) methods and tools etc. It's great when they unearth remains of Roman buildings - sometimes earlier stuff as well. Hilarious when the dig doesn't yield anything much of real interest.
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

roshanarose

« Reply #174 on: August 29, 2010, 08:41:26 PM »
Ginny - I am sure you will enjoy Time Team.  Even when they don't discover anything, as Gum says, the program is always exciting with Baldrick running from one dig to another.  As for my favourites, I love it when they discover bronze age stuff. I am drawn to Bronze Age Greece as well.   And the Roman finds are fascinating.  There was one program where the local children helped dig for artifacts and that was great.  I think it brings out the adventurer in all of us, young and old.

roshanarose

« Reply #175 on: August 29, 2010, 09:56:42 PM »
Oh dear - I am getting so frustrated.  I have tried cutting and pasting from my pix on my hard drive so I can show you something, but it is not working.  How did you cut and paste the phalanx, Ginny?  Or someone?

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #176 on: August 30, 2010, 08:29:16 AM »
Roshanna Rose, the illustrations will not simply paste here online as they would on a PC as a document in Word, for instance. In order to make that illustration display, you  put it in as a link and then use coding to make the link display.  To do this, while  composing your post,  you  paste the link and then highlight it and choose the bottom left button (over the smiley faces) and click it. This will add the coding of [img ]http://and [/img ] to it which makes it display.

So, the phalanx, if you right click on it, you get Properties. If you click Properties you see the Location is: http://seniorlearn.org/bookclubs/iliad/iliad700700phalanx.jpg

So you paste THAT, not the image.

http://seniorlearn.org/bookclubs/iliad/iliad700700phalanx.jpg

Then you highlight it by dragging your mouse over it and then while it's lit up you choose the square button to the left over the smiley faces and you get:

[img ]http://seniorlearn.org/bookclubs/iliad/iliad700700phalanx.jpg[/img ]

(Now I have made a space there in the [img ] so you can see the brackets but normally it would all be run together: thus:

Any image displaying on the internet has a URL which is what you see above. Our site has built in restrictions as to size. Normally an illustration which is copyright needs to be done with a link,  or at the very least identified as to the owner of the illustration, they take legal  exception when their work is used in any way.

Does this make sense?

Sally I got up thinking how valuable your suggestion was about the Yale lectures, and I am not sure if I thanked you  properly, so if not, thank you so much, I am very grateful to you for telling us about that download.

Thank you ALL for your wonderful info and suggestions about Time Team, apparently a British TV program but now I see they have one in America too on American sites. I can't wait to watch my first installment, better use the British so I can see something Roman, love the spirit there.

The internet has become a very powerful tool for all of us, the trick is somehow to stay on top of it, (or at least run in place if possible). :)

roshanarose

« Reply #177 on: August 30, 2010, 09:56:21 AM »
ginny - In a word "gulp".  I will read again "in the cold light of day".  Thank you.

roshanarose

« Reply #178 on: August 31, 2010, 10:24:11 PM »
My About.com Ancient History page revealed a book which you may be interested in.  It is historical Roman fiction.  The book is called "Empire" by Steven Saylor.  Sub titled A novel of Imperial Rome.  My TBR pile is threatening to tumble, but I will add it anyway.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #179 on: September 01, 2010, 07:48:27 PM »
A lot of people really enjoy reading fiction about the  Republic and Empire, and a lot of people seem to enjoy  Saylor's books. Let us know what you think of it, and thank you for bringing it here.

Lindsay Davis also writes mysteries about the
Romans, and I know they sell her Body in the Bathwater at Fishbourne Palace in England because she is meticulous with her research. I read a little of it when I was there and was surprised, the series featuring Marcus Didius Falco as detective is nothing like I thought it would be: it's witty,  clever,  and really well done. In fact we have Latin students who have read all of her books and really enjoyed them and feel they learned a lot.

We have more big news! One  of our Latin 300 students, Helen Pulsifer, was interviewed for an article which appeared today, September 1,  in the Greenville News in the People section and it's a beautiful tribute to lifelong learning, not only at Furman, but mentions our classes here on SeniorLearn.org, and also  that 16 of our students took the National Latin Exam and all 16 got awards.   The reasons she gives for enjoying classes with seniors should be plastered on every bulletin board in the country. :)

It's a "good thing."

http://www.tribunetimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100901/CITYPEOPLE/309010053/1062/TRIBUNETIMES&template=printart

Helen is a poster child for engaged retirement. :) Congratulations, Helen!

Dana

« Reply #180 on: September 03, 2010, 10:39:02 PM »
Steven Saylor and Lindsay Davis don't have the depth of interpretation that Colleen McCullough has.  She is one smart lady. I acknowledge that she's not a good "writer" of prose BUT the more I know about the Republican period and Julius Caesar the more I admire her brilliant reconstructions  and manipulations of the available history. Starting with The First Man in Rome (Marius).   
 By far the worst book in the series is the last, the name of of which I can't remember--its about Antony and Cleo.
 She was a real Caesar fan and intended to stop after he died.  She should have.
 She is SO smart.  When I reread her I ask myself--would I have thought of that way of interpreting the facts, if I even knew them.....and the answer is no.......she IS brilliant.......she can make a lot of what has not been documented, tying it up with what has.  I think her classical series about Caesar is totally undervalued.

roshanarose

« Reply #181 on: September 03, 2010, 10:48:12 PM »
dana - I haven't read any of McCullough's Rome based books but I have read a book she wrote about Troy that was so bad I didn't finish it.  Which book do you recommend in her Roman series?

Dana

« Reply #182 on: September 03, 2010, 10:58:25 PM »
Actually I don't agree with you about the Troy book.  I thought she took a different and interesting approach.   
 Start with The First Man in Rome. And then read them in order
She's very clever.  The history is authentic whenever one checks it out and her creative additions are smart.  (for example, marrying Sulla to a Julia based on a quote from Sallust, making Sulla Marius' quaestor and explaining in her notes why she thinks they were collegues at one time.)

catbrown

« Reply #183 on: September 05, 2010, 10:22:46 AM »
Dana, I agree about McCollough, including your assessment of, yes, "Antony and Cleopatra" as by far the worst book in the series. She's no stylist and the prose is clunky at best, but I too think she is marvelous in recreating Roman history. Her characterization of Caesar is masterful and her handling of politics during the late republic is amazing.

Dana

« Reply #184 on: September 05, 2010, 04:08:42 PM »
Hooray..... Catbrown, you're the first person I ever found who agrees with me about McCullough !

Gumtree

« Reply #185 on: September 06, 2010, 05:15:44 AM »
I haven't read all of Colleen McCullough's work and agree that she  doesn't have a great literary style but she certainly gets the history right. She is renowned here for her knowledge of the period and the accuracy of her research and assessment of the political scene of the time etc. I've started the Antony and Cleo book three or four times but her writing in that really annoys me -  'clunky' is the word.
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

Mippy

« Reply #186 on: September 06, 2010, 07:04:08 AM »
I've been posting for years about reading the Caesar series of Colleen McCullough, who does excellent research on Roman history.   I do agree that some of the writing is "over" imaginative, but why not have fun?   The last book in the series, about Anthony and Cleopatra,
as Dana posted, is not as good as the earlier ones.   
quot libros, quam breve tempus

Maryemm

« Reply #187 on: September 20, 2010, 09:49:12 AM »

roshanarose

« Reply #188 on: September 22, 2010, 09:29:13 PM »
I read in aboutcom this am about a new DVD about Roman England narrated by Bettany Hughes.

The Athena DVD "The Roman Invasion of Britain" comes out October 5, 2010, in the U.S. It is available from Acorn Media. The show aired on TV in the UK in July 2010.

roshanarose

« Reply #189 on: September 22, 2010, 09:32:34 PM »
Thanks maryemm for those links.  So sad.

Athena

• Hello from Atlanta, GA~USA
« Reply #190 on: September 23, 2010, 03:43:31 PM »

Euripides (ca. 480 BC – 406 BC) was the last of the three great tragedians of classical Athens (the other two being Aeschylus and Sophocles). Ancient scholars thought that Euripides had written ninety-five plays, although four of those were probably written by Critias. Eighteen or nineteen of Euripides' plays have survived complete. There has been debate about his authorship of Rhesus, largely on stylistic grounds and ignoring classical evidence that the play was his. Fragments, some substantial, of most of the other plays also survive. More of his plays have survived than those of Aeschylus and Sophocles together, because of the unique nature of the Euripidean manuscript tradition. Euripides is known primarily for having reshaped the formal structure of Athenian tragedy by portraying strong female characters and intelligent slaves and by satirizing many heroes of Greek mythology. His plays seem modern by comparison with those of his contemporaries, focusing on the inner lives and motives of his characters in a way previously unknown to Greek audiences.

(Thanks to Parabola Newsletter)
"Better by far you should forget and smile than that you should remember and be sad." ~ Christina Rossetti.

Athena

« Reply #191 on: September 23, 2010, 03:45:33 PM »
Mary,  My total blank about the weekend is so funny.  ??? I had canceled out by the deadline date, which was, I think, Sept. 8.  I was simply not up to going.  That was probably my last opportunity, so my next trip to NYC will not be Latin oriented I guess.  Thanks for asking. 
"Better by far you should forget and smile than that you should remember and be sad." ~ Christina Rossetti.

roshanarose

« Reply #192 on: September 24, 2010, 11:09:39 AM »
Athena - Ahhh such a beautiful name that means so much to so many - particularly me.  I wear a ring - a gold copy of an Athenian tetradrachm c.400BC, which I bought in Olympia,  on my pinkie.  A constant reminder, as if I need it, of an extraordinary city and its divine patron.

Talking of playwrights, make that comedians, I think that Aristophanes is my favourite.  He was able to portray the social mores of Greek society so well.  I love Lysistrata,  quite risque, but a reflection and protest of Athenian sentiment about the Peloponnesian War.  Also "Clouds" as it introduced that irresistible notion of "Cloud Cuckoo Land".  A land in which many of our politicians still dwell.

Athena

« Reply #193 on: September 24, 2010, 11:52:56 AM »
Roshanarose,  Athena's name means a great deal to me also, emotions that go back to being raised from toddler-hood by my father.  When I first bought (in 1985) a computer and was asked to give it a name, naturally I chose Athena with great hopes that some wisdom would emanate from it.  I so envy your pinkie-ring!

Lysistrata is a favorite, too.  All of Aristophanes, actually. 

roshanarose

« Reply #194 on: September 25, 2010, 12:27:44 AM »
Athena : From toddler-hood - what a lovely way of putting it.  Was your father Greek?  Have you been to Athens?  I can never find adequate words to describe the emotion I experience about Athens and Greece in general.  

It is the first time I have heard of a computer called Athena, but it seems apt. 

Greece has been my dream for a very long time and I remember seeing the Parthenon for the first time.  After a very long flight from Australia (approx 23 hours) I hired a taxi cab at the airport.  It was in September, 1982, before Venizelos Airport was opened.  Taxi drivers in Athens, like in New York, are very entertaining.  The driver took off at least 60 mph, swerving, gesticulating and leaning to look behind to chat to me.  I remember thinking that I had come such a long way and that I hoped I would get into Athens proper before I died in a motor accident.  Anyway, we were hurtling along and rounded a corner.  The driver reached out his car window and said "There is the Acropolis".  I know that I am biassed, but I had never seen anything so beautiful.  Set against a early morning sky the sun was gently washing the white marble pink.  I have never forgotten that sight, and think of Greece every day.  A truer love I have never found or felt.

Athena

« Reply #195 on: September 25, 2010, 11:28:52 AM »
No, Roshanarose, my father was an eleventh-generation descendant of an Irish immigrant to the colonies, folks who wended their way from Virginia down through Tennessee and the Carolinas into Georgia.  He just happened to inherit the responsibility for his three little girls. of which I was the youngest and the one who was most like him in appearance and intelligence.

Alas, I have not traveled to Greece, although visiting Athens is my lifelong dream.  After I retired from teaching, I visited Paris, London, Rome, Hong Kong, etc., but feel I have been cheated of the prize.  The taxi driver taking me down London's Pall Mall said "and there is Buckingham Palace," but that is a long way from being shown casually the Acropolis.  And now I may have waited too late, for my traveling is curtailed by health issues.   Talking about it, though, renews my decision to make an effort!  Other loves have gone their ways but, as you say, the Acropolis remains a constant.

Your long flight to Greece reminds me of my flight to Hong Kong.  Five hours to San Francisco and then sixteen hours to HK.  The airplane became a mess, filled with passengers slopping up the bathroom, clogging the aisles with trash, attendants trying to serve and keep the plane somewhat clean.  But Hong Kong and Macao were worth it.

Dana

« Reply #196 on: September 25, 2010, 12:01:14 PM »
Hey Roshanarose, your memories of Greece are the same as mine.
I first went as a student and I remember vividly the drive from the airport in the early morning and the sudden vision of the Acropolis bathed in sun up high above the city
...bliss was it in that dawn to be alive....but to be young was very heaven....

I also remember a trip to Delphi--ferry boat and mad taxi ride up the twisty road from the port with the car radio blaring exotic Morroccan music, I though if he drove off the road it would be a perfect way to go !

Maryemm

« Reply #197 on: September 25, 2010, 03:47:56 PM »
RoshanaRose and Dana: You were fortunate to see the Acropolis when you did. I viewed it on a hot afternoon surrounded by other tourists and led by a girl who was obviously bored and who had learnt her descriptions by heart. If asked a question she became angry as she could not recall the next sentence of her "speech".
I also recall a group of schoolchildren who looked at the Acropolis in silence and then, when I thought they had been awed by its beauty, one said in a loud and disappointed voice, "It looked better on the tele!"

I always wished I had seen it at dusk, or at dawn.

I remember the kindness of the people we met: the waiters who treated us to retsina(!)*; the gipsy who gave me flowers and refused payment. (I worried afterwards that I looked impoverished);  the young donkey boy whose name was Jesus. I still have the dark red Kaftan with gold embroidery I bought in Athens.

* Retsina: http://www.suite101.com/content/retsina-greeces-unique-wine-a142414

I am sure I have read somewhere that the earliest recorded detail of using resin with wine amphorae appears in "De Re Rustica"by Columella. Resin would be mixed with the wine or to seal the amphorae.

JoanR

« Reply #198 on: September 25, 2010, 04:21:35 PM »
Ah, the Acropolis!  A treasured memory.
 As a child I loved the Greek and Roman mythologies and the stars of my stamp collection were the Greek stamps - particularly the one of the Acropolis.
 The year we retired my husband and I went to Greece on our own - one night we had dinner at a rooftop restaurant with a full and mind-boggling view of the Acropolis which was floodlit.  So beautiful!!!!

Pete7268

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #199 on: September 26, 2010, 06:18:54 AM »

Since taking a year off from the Latin course I have not let the Roman World slip into the background altogether, managing to read quite a few books that may be of interest to you all.

It seems ages since I last accessed the Bulletin Board, clearly I have loads of back - reading to do!

POMPEII The Life of a Roman Town by Mary Beard is an entertaining read, plenty of images to illustrate the comprehensive text.  Mary Beard does not hold back in challenging opinions or facts of established classicists where she sees fit.  Well worth reading for anyone with an interest in Pompeii.
 I have just finished reading Augustus by Anthony Everitt, I do like his style. A class member (I forget who, apologies!) recommended ‘A Natural History of Latin’ by Tore Janson. It is a short, very readable book on the history of the language. An enjoyable read that will remain a useful reference guide.
    The Everitt book, Augustus, lead me on to 'Res Gestae Divi Augusti', A good afternoon's read (No, not the Latin section, mores the pity).  Very expensive for such a small book but there are good second hand copies available. The book certainly makes an excellent reference guide to the world of Augustus, a large ‘notes’ section, good index, chronological table and a section on constitutional terms.
I have just bought a copy of 'Rome in the Late Republic' by Mary Beard & Michael Crawford, It recommends that 'From the Gracchi to Nero' by H.H. Scullard  together with 'Social Conflict' by Brunt should be read first. Brunt’s ‘Social Conflict’ is yet to be obtained.
I have started the ‘Gracchi’ but suspect it will take me some time to complete.
Books obtained but yet to be read;-
THE COMPLETE Pompeii by Joanne Berry. This book is image and text rich but by no means a ‘coffee table’ book.
‘CICERO’ by Anthony Everitt.
 ‘NERO, The end of a Dynasty’ by Miriam T Griffin
 ‘ROME IN THE LATE REPUBLIC’.by Mary Beard & Michael Crawford.
‘LUSTRUM’ & ‘IMPERIUM’ by Robert Harris. (Fiction books, a good writer who fully researches the subject!)