Author Topic: Classics Forum  (Read 352431 times)

roshanarose

Re: Classics Bulletin Board
« Reply #200 on: September 27, 2010, 02:30:52 AM »
CLASSICS BULLETIN BOARD

Paestum

Paestum, a complex of Greek Temples in  Southern Italy.[/center]

Interested in Latin Courses? Learn More About Our Latin Courses

Welcome to our Classics Bulletin  Board, which is our public discussion for those interested in the Classics. Since our Latin Classes are not visible to the public but we have a great many people interested in talking about the Classics, we've put this discussion up for your interest.

Please share here news, clips, magazine or newspaper articles, movies or television shows and especially books  you find that would be of interest to those of us who love the classics world.

Everyone is welcome!

Hi Pete:  We have not met before, but I can recommend "From the Gracchi to Nero" highly, also have your read Suetonius "The Twelve Caesars"?  

"POMPEII The Life of a Roman Town by Mary Beard is an entertaining read, plenty of images to illustrate the comprehensive text.  Mary Beard does not hold back in challenging opinions or facts of established classicists where she sees fit.  Well worth reading for anyone with an interest in Pompeii."  I am sure that Ginny will love this one, if she hasn't already read it.

FYI Mary Beard has a blog on about.com's Ancient History site that you may like.

Back to Greece, just another quick flight ....  

Athena:  Reading about your pioneer ancestors reminded me of what stern stuff they must have been made.  Without them paving the way ....  well, where would we be?  As for returning to Greece, if I go again it will be my third trip.  People say "why don't you go somewhere else?"  Don't they understand what true love is? The problem for the tourist visiting Greece is the rather tortuous slopes one needs to negotiate.  Since my ankle was shattered 4 years ago, I can't walk distances, and it so far away from my country.  I vowed when I came back that I would never fly on a 747 again.  They are so uncomfortable and old and smelly.  As you say, most likely caused by those long flights.  The last time I went to Greece was in 2004 and the first leg from Brisbane (my hometown) to Singapore was bliss in a new jet,; then changed to a 747 for the long haul to Frankfurt; then changed to an Airbus for the final leg with Lufthansa.  I wished it could have been the Airbus all the way - beautiful plane and great staff.

Dana : What a coincidence that we both saw the Acropolis/Parthenon through the same eyes, so to speak.  It is great to share that memory with you.

Maryemm:  You are right!  The worst thing about travelling is the tourists :-)  When I visited Knossos, a site beyond compare, there were two other Australians behind me in the line.  They chirped "Oh.  So this was where all the Cretins lived?"  I had to control myself that day and felt ashamed of my fellow countrymen/women.  Travel is wasted on such people.

Your experience with the Gypsy lady was very similar to one I had at Monastiraki Metro station.  I was sitting on the steps of the station taking in the atmosphere and a gypsy lady offered me an orange.  I accepted and we had a chat.  After a while I left her there, selling exquisitely made tablecloths and such.  I would have been about a block away and felt a tug at my sleeve.  It was the gypsy woman.  I had left my camera on the steps and she was returning it.  The Greeks can sense if you are an Hellenophile and will treat you very kindly and graciously as a result.  A Kalimera or an Efharisto go a loooong way in Greece.

JoanR - I have never collected the stamps but I do know that the Greeks have a penchant for adorning their stamps with famous Greeks and gods and goddesses.  When I was in Greece in 1982 I collected all their coinage and drachma notes and had them mounted.  They are very beautiful.  Pericles, Themistocles and more recent great Greeks are  on the coins.  My favourite is of the Admiral Bouboulina, a heroine of the war against the Turks.  She was quite a woman

How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

Pete7268

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #201 on: September 29, 2010, 02:02:35 PM »
Hi roshanarose I am just getting into ‘Gracchi’, thanks for your recommendation, I can read it with added confidence.
 I read ‘The Twelve Caesars’ in the early 60’s and still have that copy.  It is back on my reading list, in fact it has been there for some time but keeps dropping down the list as further books are added to the pile.

Mary Beard certainly does not hold back on her challenge of accepted opinions of eminent ‘authorities’. 
One other book on my list of ‘yet to read’ is ‘The Complete Pompeii’ by Joanne Berry, it has a massive amount of illustrations but by no means is a ‘coffee table book’ as the text is very comprehensive. I look forward to reading that as well.
  I will check out the Beard Blog.
 Many thanks

Maryemm

« Reply #202 on: October 02, 2010, 04:24:28 PM »
Remains of Roman settlement discovered under Newnham

Sixth Formers take part in archaeological dig over summer

See: http://www.varsity.co.uk/news/2417

Maryemm

« Reply #203 on: October 02, 2010, 04:55:47 PM »
Work unearths previously unknown Roman road in Kent

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #204 on: October 07, 2010, 10:44:10 AM »
What wonderful reading choices here and recommendations. Thank you Pete for that splendid list and everybody for the suggestions. And what fabulous finds, KENT of all places, we're just reading about Caesar's thoughts on Kent in one of the Latin classes.

It seems there is a fabulous find  a day, thank you Maryemm for bringing them here!!! So exciting.

What a time to live in England! I would love to volunteer on one of those sites,  but I don't live there. I hear that in some of the digs there's a 2 year wait! Shame nobody is interested in Roman ruins! hahaha

But  speaking of reading, my eye was caught yesterday in a Barnes and Noble by Adrian Goldsworthy's gorgeous  new (2010) Antony and Cleopatra.

It has rave reviews and those who read the Cambridge II series about Egypt will be extremely informed on this subject. According to the flap, "Neither turns out to be quite what we expect."

I really look forward to finding out Goldsworth's take on the Battle of Actium, Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton notwhithstanding (tho that movie had a lot more accuracy than anybody would suspect. I recommend it for comparison).

It looks like a great read and is right in time for the new Cleopatra exhibits and purported discovery of her palace. Is anybody reading it?

Maryemm

« Reply #205 on: October 07, 2010, 01:56:08 PM »

Roman helmet and face-mask discovered

A Roman bronze helmet complete with face-mask - thought to be one of only three of its kind to be found in Britain - has been discovered by a metal detector enthusiast in Cumbria.

Read all about it here at:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/8000018/Rare-Roman-helmet-and-face-mask-discovered.html

TV News tonight reported that the helmet was sold for an amazing £2,000,000. It was expected to fetch around £400,000.

Maryemm

« Reply #206 on: October 08, 2010, 07:50:12 AM »
In today's paper the quoted winning bid is said to be £2.3 million and this will be divided beteween the landowner and the finder. Both have elected to remain anonymous. The finder is said to be in his twenties, and an unemployed student!

Because the helmet was made of bronze, and did not form part of a large haul, their extraordinary find did not qualify in law as treasure, so they could have sold it without reporting to the Portable Antiquities Scheme (PAS), which protects valuable archaeological finds. They chose to do so voluntarily, however.

See:

http://gouk.about.com/od/tripplanning/a/Finding_Treasure.htm

Fran

« Reply #207 on: October 08, 2010, 10:22:18 AM »
Ginny, I'm so glad that I checked into the Classic Bulletin Board this a.m. and saw your post.

I just reserved  Antony and Cleopatra by A. Goldsworthy from our library. Hope I get it soon!

Maryemm, Sometime this weekend I'm going to read about the article you posted. How exciting

to find such a treasure--I often see people in our park walking around with metal detectors and

often wonder what they find :)---if they only knew what they could find in the U.K.!!!

Athena

• Hello from Atlanta, GA~USA
« Reply #208 on: October 15, 2010, 10:30:40 AM »
It's the birthday of the poet Virgil, (books by this author) born Publius Vergilius Maro near Mantua, Italy, 70 B.C.E.
"Better by far you should forget and smile than that you should remember and be sad." ~ Christina Rossetti.

roshanarose

« Reply #209 on: October 18, 2010, 08:55:46 PM »
A belated Happy Birthday to Virgil!  Thanks Athena. :)
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #211 on: November 09, 2010, 06:44:27 PM »
Thank you Mary, that's a different photograph than I have seen and impressive.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #212 on: November 23, 2010, 08:14:26 AM »
Here's something pretty awe inspiring, it's a new exhibition at the Metropolitan Museum of Art thru April 3, and then will travel across the US before returning to Israel:

The Roman Mosaic from Lod, Israel
September 28, 2010–April 3, 2011
John A. and Carole O. Moran Gallery, Greek and Roman Galleries, 1st floor

First discovered in 1996 during construction on the Jerusalem–Tel Aviv highway in Lod (formerly Lydda), Israel, this large and impressive mosaic floor has only recently been uncovered and was displayed briefly in situ to the public in Israel during the summer of 2009. Believed to belong to a large house owned by a wealthy Roman in about A.D. 300, the mosaic comprises a large square panel with a central medallion depicting various exotic animals and two rectangular end panels, one of which represents a marine scene of fish and ships. The floor, which adorned a richly appointed audience room, is extremely well preserved and highly colorful. It has now been removed from the ground and is being first exhibited to the general public here at the Metropolitan Museum. The Lod Mosaic is on loan from the Israel Antiquities Authority and the Shelby White and Leon Levy Lod Mosaic Center.

If you follow this link you can watch them remove the floor and roll it up, it's amazing! If you've ever wondered how modern archaeologists move huge mosaic floors, you can see them in action here and in some of the other films: incredible!

http://www.metmuseum.org/special/se_event.asp?OccurrenceId={6C51E9CC-0958-4743-A2FE-4A3304C3AAD9}

Mippy

« Reply #213 on: November 23, 2010, 10:51:08 AM »
Ginny ~  Thanks very much!   That video was wonderful!
quot libros, quam breve tempus

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #214 on: November 23, 2010, 01:06:48 PM »
Isn't it? Sure beats the result when they moved the Battle of Issus from Pompeii, too..

JoanR

« Reply #215 on: December 01, 2010, 04:06:45 PM »
I just saw this in the news:

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/12/01/two-more-walls-collapse-at-pompeii/?ref=arts

I hope they will take action to keep the rest from crumbling!!!

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #216 on: December 01, 2010, 09:18:11 PM »
Isn't that incredible, I came in myself with the very same thing, December 1? I can't believe it keeps falling!!  Here's the story and photo  from the News  Tribune: http://www.thenewstribune.com/2010/12/01/1446836/2-walls-give-way-in-latest-pompeii.html

Frybabe

« Reply #217 on: December 01, 2010, 09:52:09 PM »
That's so sad. Pompeii must generate a huge amount of tourist money. They really should take better care or they will start losing tourists too.

Gumtree

« Reply #218 on: December 02, 2010, 03:50:46 AM »
I just saw the news as well and rushed in to share - too late!

As Frybabe says, they'll lose tourist dollars but more importantly the world will lose the ruins. I wonder what safeguards could be put in place to prevent future landslips. Can World Heritage do anything to help? 
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

Maryemm

« Reply #219 on: December 05, 2010, 07:37:56 AM »

Roman armour discovery

Missed this September find;

http://www.welshicons.org.uk/news/cardiff/roman-armour-discovery/

Maryemm

« Reply #220 on: December 05, 2010, 07:40:24 AM »

Roman Re-invasion at Gelligaer*
(Nov.23rd 2010)

http://www.welshicons.org.uk/news/caerphilly/roman-re-invasion-at-gelligaer/

Gelligaer is a town in Caerphilly, South Wales, in the Rhymney River valley. It is on the B4254 road between Treharris and Blackwood. Its estimated population as of 1985 was 16,900. Current industry includes automobile and rubber products manufacturing.

Gelligaer is known for its stone Roman fort, believed to have been built between 103 and 111 A.D. and excavated in the early 20th century. There is also an ancient standing stone north of the village.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Frybabe

« Reply #221 on: December 05, 2010, 08:23:28 AM »
Thanks MaryEmm. I cruised around the news site to see else was going on. One of the things I didn't get to do when I was in Wales, eons ago, was to go through Caerphilly Castle. It wasn't open at the time due to safety concerns. Caerphilly Borough Council has an inviting web page. Also noted that someone was going around stealing man hole covers in Merthyr Tydfil.   :o  What an interesting idea, a Toy Library. I wonder how well that is working out.

Roxania

« Reply #222 on: December 06, 2010, 11:12:40 AM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/06/arts/design/06silver.html?emc=tnt&tntemail1=y

A hoard of Hellenistic silver is being returned to the town of Aidone.  Apparently it had been buried by its Greek owners before the Romans took over their village, and then illegally excavated.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #223 on: December 06, 2010, 11:22:38 AM »
Wow, this is incredible, isn't it? Every day, everywhere just about, new finds, what excitement and thank you Maryemm and Roxania, and Gumtree and Joan  R for bringing these breaking news items here.

Frybabe,  they have earmarked, or so they say, all the proceeds from the tourists who visit the Pompeii for preservation, and it must be a humongous pack of money, I have forgotten maybe some of you can find it, how many people visit Pompeii alone, is it 2 million per year or 20 million? It's  a LOT of people!

But things keep falling. The actual percentage of buildings OPEN to the public is quite small and rotates so on any given day you may or may not be able to see a particular building.

I've come in with a couple of suggestions for holiday gift books, I'm sure there are lots more, feel free to mention anything which strikes YOUR fancy or is on your own Wish List!

Possible Holiday Book Wish Lists for Classicists: 2010

1. Our founding fathers in the US were rabid Classicists. They, revealed in the new book The Classical Tradition,  actually went about writing in pseudonyms like Publius, Brutus and Cato.  Our government is based squarely on the old Roman Republic. The Classical Tradition by Anthony Grafton, Glenn W. Most, and Salvatore Settis (Oct 25, 2010) is a huge reference book just out which will apparently astound the reader with the relevance of the Classical world to ours today, and throughout history.

2. The Complete Pompeii by Joanne Berry, PhD, a wonderful all you need to know book about Pompeii, recent and accurate.

3. CLEOPATRA: A Life. By Stacy Schiff. It's dizzying to contemplate the ancient thicket of personalities and propaganda Schiff penetrates to show the Macedonian-Egyptian queen in all her ambition, audacity and formidable intelligence.

4.  Antony and Cleopatra by Adrian Goldsworthy, read excerpts online first to see if you like his style, he can be dry.

5. THE LOST BOOKS OF THE ODYSSEY: Fiction By Zachary Mason. The conceit behind the multiple Odysseuses here (comic, dead, doubled, amnesiac) is that this is a translation of an ancient papyrus, a collection of variations on the myth.

6. A Natural History of Latin by Tore Janson. Probably the least inspiring sounding best book you'll ever read.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #224 on: December 06, 2010, 11:26:18 AM »
Wow, this is incredible, isn't it? Every day, everywhere just about, new finds, what excitement and thank you Maryemm and Roxania, and Gumtree and Joan  R for bringing these breaking news items here.

Frybabe,  they have earmarked, or so they say, all the proceeds from the tourists who visit the Pompeii for preservation, and it must be a humongous pack of money, I have forgotten maybe some of you can find it, how many people visit Pompeii alone, is it 2 million per year or 20 million? It's  a LOT of people!

But things keep falling. The actual percentage of buildings OPEN to the public is quite small and rotates so on any given day you may or may not be able to see a particular building.

I've come in with a couple of suggestions for holiday gift books, I'm sure there are lots more, feel free to mention anything which strikes YOUR fancy or is on your own Wish List!

Possible Holiday Book Wish Lists for Classicists: 2010

1. Our founding fathers in the US were rabid Classicists. They, revealed in the new book The Classical Tradition,  actually went about writing in pseudonyms like Publius, Brutus and Cato.  Our government is based squarely on the old Roman Republic. The Classical Tradition by Anthony Grafton, Glenn W. Most, and Salvatore Settis (Oct 25, 2010) is a huge reference book just out which will apparently astound the reader with the relevance of the Classical world to ours today, and throughout history.

2. The Complete Pompeii by Joanne Berry, PhD, a wonderful all you need to know book about Pompeii, recent and accurate.

3. CLEOPATRA: A Life. By Stacy Schiff. It's dizzying to contemplate the ancient thicket of personalities and propaganda Schiff penetrates to show the Macedonian-Egyptian queen in all her ambition, audacity and formidable intelligence.

4.  Antony and Cleopatra by Adrian Goldsworthy, read excerpts online first to see if you like his style, he can be dry.

5. THE LOST BOOKS OF THE ODYSSEY: Fiction By Zachary Mason. The conceit behind the multiple Odysseuses here (comic, dead, doubled, amnesiac) is that this is a translation of an ancient papyrus, a collection of variations on the myth.

6. A Natural History of Latin by Tore Janson. Probably the least inspiring sounding best book you'll ever read.

Roxania

« Reply #225 on: December 06, 2010, 01:26:16 PM »
The Schiff title is also available as an audiobook from audible.com, if anyone else loves being read to while they knit or  clean house as much as I do.  They also have Everitt's life of Augustus.

Athena

• Hello from Atlanta, GA~USA
« Reply #226 on: December 08, 2010, 12:02:50 PM »

And this from G. Keillor's daily posting:

It's the birthday of the Roman poet Quintus Horatius Flaccus, better known as Horace, (books by this author) born in 65 B.C. in Venusia, in southern Italy. His father was a freed slave who farmed in Venusia and then got a well-paying job in Rome, acting as an intermediary at auctions for a cut of the profit. He put all his money toward his son's education, and sent him to the best school in Rome. From there, Horace went to Athens, and fought on the losing side against Marc Antony and Octavian, who became the Emperor Augustus. So he lost all his family property and he was out of a job.

Luckily, Octavian declared amnesty for all the soldiers, and Horace headed back to Rome. He became friends with Virgil and other contemporary poets, and one of Augustus' advisors became his patron and gave Horace a farm. Horace liked country life, and he often stayed in bed for most of the morning.

He ended up a favorite of Augustus, who once said, "Be as mindful of Horatius Flaccus as you are of me!" The emperor sent Horace gifts, called him pet names, wrote him letters, and complained that not enough of Horace's poems were directed toward him. In one letter to Horace, he wrote: "Disonysius has brought me your small volume, which, little as it is, not to blame you for that, I shall judge favorably. You seem to me, however, to be afraid lest your volumes should be bigger than yourself. But if you are short in stature, you are corpulent enough. You may, therefore, if you will, write in a quart, when the size of your volume is as large round as your paunch."

Horace is best known for his Odes, a collection of poems celebrating everyday things.
He wrote an ode about winter, which begins:
See how Soracte stands glistening with snowfall,
and the laboring woods bend under the weight:
see how the mountain streams are frozen,
cased in the ice by the shuddering cold?

Drive away bitterness, and pile on the logs,
bury the hearthstones, and, with generous heart,
out of the four-year old Sabine jars,
O Thaliarchus, bring on the true wine.

(translated by A.S. Kline)
"Better by far you should forget and smile than that you should remember and be sad." ~ Christina Rossetti.

roshanarose

« Reply #227 on: December 08, 2010, 07:58:25 PM »
Some great links here.  I wanted to see some pix of the silver from Sicily.  Are any to be found on the net?  Also one link mentioned "acroliths".  I like to think that I am pretty well read on Greek statuary, but had never heard of this style before.  I shall pursue it further.  Thanks also for the book recommendations.

Maryemm

« Reply #229 on: December 09, 2010, 02:53:55 PM »

roshanarose

« Reply #230 on: December 09, 2010, 08:30:46 PM »
Maryemm - Thanks so much for finding those pix of the magnificent Morgantina Silver.  The small dish on the extreme right has what I always understood as the Macedonia insignia at its base.  The starburst is common in many of the pieces I saw in the museums of Pella and Vergina - Alexander the Great country.  Some irony in the name of the owner of the house under which the silver was found.  Eupolemos, literally means in Greek "Good war".  

The story about the "gladiator" was fascinating.  Thrown out with the rubbish - brutal times indeed.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #231 on: December 10, 2010, 12:25:27 PM »
Oh it is, thank you all so much for bringing here such interesting things.

The new magazine Archaeology just came and it's full of ancient wonders, starting with one we announced here, the Bronze  Helmet in Northern England and how it was lost to the museums of that country, in  From the  Trenches, a pretty eye opening article on page 9 of the new issue, not yet up on the website.

ON the website is a lovely outline of the  Roman Ruins of Provence:

http://www.archaeology.org/onsite/provence/

In addition they list the Top 10 Discoveries of the Year and  some tours to die for, and "Rome Wasn't Built in a Day," lectures across the US by  John Peter Oleson which may be coming to you. These are titled:

Herodotus, Aristotle, and Sounding Weights: The Deep Sea as a Frontier in the Classical World

Building for Eternity: Investigating the Secrets of Roman Hydraulic Concrete

Harena sine calce ("Sand without lime"): Building Disasters, Incompetent Architects, and Construction Fraud in Ancient Rome

These sound fascinating, hopefully somebody can see them and report in.

This coming Sunday December 12  in the US the National Geographic Channel will show what may be a very unflattering version of  Rome in:

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/series/when-rome-ruled/4723/Overview

When Rome  Ruled the World: the Real Caligula. Any mention of  Caligula should send chills down our spines or should it? This website is packed with videos, and stills from the show itself and interesting things if you can get past the Gekko. hahahaa

And finally as a holiday gift I've brought a sing along!

Let it Snow! Let it Snow! Let it

Snow!

Let It Snow was created by lyricist Sammy Cahn and the composer Jule Styne in 1945
Latin Rendition by SeniorNet's current Latin 300 Class:

Click and sing along!

O!  tempestas est terribilis
Sed focus est iucundus
Et nemo  ambulat,
Ninguat! Ninguat! Ninguat!  

Non ostendit pausae signa,
Et ad crepanda tuli frumenta.
Et lux hebetata erat.
Ninguat! Ninguat! Niguat!  

Cum postremo besiamus vale-
Haud amabo in procella- ire.
Si me- amplectaris firme--
Ad domum prodecam calide-

Ignis moritur tarde-
Etiam nunc, Delicia, dicimus "vale-
Sed dum te-  amas me-
Ningue! Ningue! Ningue!

English Lyrics and Music and More  

Ninguat, ninguat, ninguat!  A very happy holididay to all of you from all of us on SeniorLearn! 

Frybabe

« Reply #232 on: December 10, 2010, 06:41:21 PM »
Marvelous silvers. I especially like the one in the top picture just below the big upside down pot. Lovely flower pattern.

Waaaaaaah! I miss my Archeology mag. It is one of the two that didn't get renewed this year in order to conserve my limited coinage.

I have a few assignments to do yet and exams at the end of this coming week, and then I am done with this semester. Now I will have time to get back to the online Rome lectures series I was in the middle of watching.

Maryemm

Maryemm

« Reply #234 on: December 11, 2010, 11:25:56 AM »

[
Queen of the underworld: Mary Beard is bringing the ancient city of Pompeii to life in a BBC documentary

By John Walsh

See:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/features/queen-of-the-underworld-mary-beard-is-bringing-the-ancient-city-of-pompeii-to-life-in-a-bbc-documentary-2154808.html

In an e-mail Pete reminded me this programme is being shown on Tuesday, 9 p.m. in the Uk. Had already booked the TV! This programme should really be worth watching.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #235 on: December 11, 2010, 12:54:52 PM »
Gosh Mary, what exciting news, lucky you to be able to see it, I see the BBC will release it on DVD  January 4, it probably will take us a while to get it, hopefully the emphasis on sex in the review is exaggerated. hahaa Should have a wide viewership, thank you for this, and the gladiator photo and news.

roshanarose

« Reply #236 on: December 11, 2010, 09:53:48 PM »
ginny - Thanks for the lovely Chistmas Carol.  I wonder what significance/meaning "Carol" has in this context?  I know that a Carol is a Christmas song, it is also the first part of my name, but how did it get to be called a Carol?

maryemm - The latest article you added about the Gladiator was extremely interesting.  Russell looks the way I imagine a gladiator would look in the pic.  Who would have believed that a little boy from New Zealand whose parents were caterers on film sets would reach such dizzying heights in the world of entertainment?

Gumtree

« Reply #237 on: December 11, 2010, 10:55:32 PM »
Roshanarose - It seems 'carol' comes through Latin but from Greek -

[Middle English carole, round dance with singing, from Old French, probably from Late Latin choraula, choral song, from Latin chorauls, accompanist, from Greek khorauls : khoros, choral dance; see gher-1 in Indo-European roots + aulos, flute.]

I wonder how it came to be used as the collective  for a group of virgins and a circle of standing stones - at times it has been widely used as a given name in many countries with different spellings. Is it the origin of Charles - Carlos - Carolus - Karel - Karol etc etc ???   

roshanarose

« Reply #238 on: December 11, 2010, 11:00:28 PM »
Gum - Thanks for that explanation.  Nice linguistics connection there.  My favourite "Carol" word is Carolingian for the time of Charlemagne.  Carolingian is a word that is a song in itself. 

Have you been getting any rain over your way?  It has been raining for about two weeks here.  Parts of flooding all the way down the South-East coast.  It's good in that it keeps the temperature down, shame about the humidity though.   

Gumtree

« Reply #239 on: December 11, 2010, 11:34:09 PM »
Roshanarose:  Nope - no rain - not a drop of the blessed stuff in WA. I've been watching the flooding in the east quite closely as son was planning to drive over from Sydney for Christmas - he and DIL were going to leave this weekend and do the trip in easy stages stopping here and there and making a holiday of it but the Sturt Highway was closed at Wagga Wagga and then the floods hit both the more northerly route through Broken Hill and the southern one through Victoria... they're biding their time for a day or two to see how much the water subsides. They might have trouble getting back again too if the rain forecast for the Xmas period eventuates.