Author Topic: Classics Forum  (Read 352325 times)

catbrown

Re: Classics Bulletin Board
« Reply #240 on: December 12, 2010, 01:06:33 PM »
CLASSICS BULLETIN BOARD

Paestum

Paestum, a complex of Greek Temples in  Southern Italy.[/center]

Interested in Latin Courses? Learn More About Our Latin Courses

Welcome to our Classics Bulletin  Board, which is our public discussion for those interested in the Classics. Since our Latin Classes are not visible to the public but we have a great many people interested in talking about the Classics, we've put this discussion up for your interest.

Please share here news, clips, magazine or newspaper articles, movies or television shows and especially books  you find that would be of interest to those of us who love the classics world.

Everyone is welcome!

Ginny, where did you read about the DVD release of the Mary Beard Pompeii tv documentary? I looked on Amazon UK and they don't list it. Since I have an uncoded, all-region dvd player, I can play region 2 dvds .. so I'd love to get that one as a New Year's present (for me, of course).

Meanwhile, have any of you seen this Mary Beard lecture? I watched the first few minutes and will return to watch the entire thing at leisure after my Aeneid final exam next week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=B7Ss88HuCo8#!

Happy holidays to all,
Cathy

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #241 on: December 12, 2010, 02:22:58 PM »
6 posts back, Cathy. So good to see you again, how are you?

You can see  Maryemm's post by either going back one page and looking toward the bottom OR going into the compose a post box and then before typing scroll down on the right, you'll see the last 40 posts or so below this box. (I put this here because a lot of people don't realize that).

How are things going with you?

roshanarose

« Reply #242 on: December 12, 2010, 09:03:07 PM »
Gum - Good luck to your son and his wife.  I hope they make it OK.
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #243 on: December 13, 2010, 08:27:50 AM »
Good heavens, Gum, I did not even SEE that post. Sometimes this software does not show me all the new posts, thank you for mentioning it, Roshanarose! What news, Gum, from your son and DIL and the flooding? (Doesn't the Wagga Wagga sound impossibly exotic?)

What interesting conversations here about etymology!  Etymology to me is like a  Pandora's box, the words you'd swear are Latin in origin are not and the ones you would never suspect,  are, think speck and biscuit, just to take two recent examples from the Cambridge Latin 1 text.

Cathy, I meant to say thank you for the Mary Beard lecture and good luck on the Aeneid exam, not that you need it. :)

Happy Holidays to All!

Gumtree

« Reply #244 on: December 13, 2010, 10:15:46 AM »
What news, Gum, from your son and DIL and the flooding? (Doesn't the Wagga Wagga sound impossibly exotic?)

Ginny: They're not in any danger - we just don't want them to get stranded in the middle of nowhere - and have to catch a scrub turkey for their Christmas dinner.  :D
 My family lived in Wagga Wagga during my teenage years. It's not in the least exotic - just a major regional centre in the Riverina district of NSW and on a main route from Sydney through to Adelaide. It's located on the Murrumbidgee River which along with many others is currently in flood. 'Wagga' (wog ga) is an aboriginal word meaning crow (raven). The repetition of the word in the place name simply means  'crows and crows' - or place of many crows. There's a saying that Wagga is "where the wind starts and the crows fly backwards to keep the dust out of the eyes."  and if you stood on the outskirts of town on a hot, dry, windy afternoon in midsummer you'd believe it!
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

Bow_Belle

« Reply #245 on: December 14, 2010, 06:17:13 AM »
Good morning!

Pompeii

i was about to post details of mary Beards programme which will be on UK TV tonight I beleive but I think someone has got here first.

here is the BBC website details

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11952322

Maryemm

« Reply #246 on: December 15, 2010, 12:36:01 PM »
I really enjoyed the "Pompeii" programme on TV last night. Mary Beard is so enthusiastic (Reminded me of you, Ginny.) She was shown items others are not allowed to see and I did so envy her when she actually slipped on a gold bracelet last worn 2000 years ago. It had been worn by one of 54 people whose skeletons were found in a cellar in Oplontis.

The skeletons were segregated into two groups : the rich and the others. The former had many green bones, the result of acidic soil on metal jewellery, belts etc. The poor ones had no belongings.

One woman had two bags of coins : silver ones that showed signs of wear and gold ones that were "perfect".

A young woman was found to have been 8 1/2 months pregnant and "they" thought this might have been the reason the group did not flee as others did.

There were also young twins who must have been dreadfully sick but who seemed to have received excellent care. They were found amongst the poorer members of the group.

Frybabe

« Reply #247 on: December 16, 2010, 07:20:45 PM »
Here is a little something for the Christmas season. The first part is in Latin with English Translation. Click to start, and be sure to watch the whole way through. It is very nicely done. In fact, I checked out a few of Mr. Lawrence's other uploads. They are all very, very nicely done.

http://vimeo.com/8140484

JoanR

« Reply #248 on: December 17, 2010, 03:11:21 PM »
Here's a link to the notice of the Pompeii exhibit that will be in NYC next fall - probably elsewhwere too since I believe thse exhibits travel.  If we have another Seniorlearn soiree in NY we could add it to our activities!

http://www.discoverytsx.com/pompeii

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #249 on: December 17, 2010, 08:19:50 PM »
Oh WOW!! Thank you Joan for that notice!!! We sure could! We sure should!

I was just wondering how long it would be before another Pompeii exhibit surfaced, and just LOOK! Pompeii is so HOT right now.

Meanwhile they have a sign up email list for Pompeii News, so if an exhibit is coming near YOU you will be the first to know. This one looks relatively small but apparently impressively done with never before seen artifacts too. They'll have to go some to beat that Day in Pompeii at the Field Museum, but this looks perfect, I mean NYC AND Pompeii? Wow!
Ho Ho Ho! Merry Merry!!  A nice gift for us all, here's hoping it travels the country (and world) so we can all see it!   

Maryemm

« Reply #250 on: December 28, 2010, 10:08:46 AM »

A cooking pot found at Abermagwr has been partially reconstructed.

Athena

• Hello from Atlanta, GA~USA
« Reply #251 on: January 04, 2011, 08:02:29 AM »

Marcus Tullius Cicero (January 3, 106 BC – December 7, 43 BC; sometimes anglicized as "Tully"), was a Roman philosopher, statesman, lawyer, political theorist, and Roman constitutionalist. He came from a wealthy municipal family of the equestrian order, and is widely considered one of Rome's greatest orators and prose stylists.

He introduced the Romans to the chief schools of Greek philosophy and created a Latin philosophical vocabulary (with neologisms such as humanitas, qualitas, quantitas, and essentia) distinguishing himself as a linguist, translator, and philosopher. An impressive orator and successful lawyer, Cicero thought that his political career was his most important achievement. Today, he is appreciated primarily for his humanism and philosophical and political writings. His voluminous correspondence, much of it addressed to his friend Atticus, has been especially influential, introducing the art of refined letter writing to European culture. Cornelius Nepos, the 1st century BC biographer of Atticus, remarked that Cicero's letters contained such a wealth of detail "concerning the inclinations of leading men, the faults of the generals, and the revolutions in the government" that their reader had little need for a history of the period. Cicero's speeches and letters remain some of the most important primary sources that survive on the last days of the Roman Republic.

"Times are bad. Children no longer obey their parents and everyone is writing a book."

—Marcus Tullius Cicero (43 BCE)

"Better by far you should forget and smile than that you should remember and be sad." ~ Christina Rossetti.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #252 on: January 06, 2011, 06:47:39 AM »
Mary, another find! Thank you so much, they are just exploding in the UK, and that one in Wales, big, too, I like the coin there. Some of their cooking pots I'd like to have, and weren't they ahead of the time with their equivalent of the  George Foreman Grill!!

Joyce, thank you for that great note, catching his birthday. Isn't that quote au courant, tho!

And here's more news!!  Pompeii is HOT in 2011!

In the  brand new January 3 2011 issue of Newsweek now on newsstands there is a fabulous article on The Second Destruction of Pompeii , available,  as you can see,  also online. I think the online version has photos not in the in print article, but it's staggering what has fallen just in the last couple of months, including stones from an arch in the Colosseum and the ceiling of the  Nero's  Golden House. A must read.

And in the January 2011 issue of Smithsonian Magazine, big news of the opening of the hypogeum of the Colosseum in  Rome! Don't miss this issue: Secrets of the Colosseum  

Athena

« Reply #253 on: January 10, 2011, 11:57:06 AM »

It was on this day in 49 B.C. that Julius Caesar crossed the Rubicon River and launched a civil war.

At the time of Caesar's birth, in 100 B.C., the Roman Republic was falling into political chaos. It had only nominal control of its provinces, which were really under the command of their powerful governors. A few wealthy individuals were becoming increasingly corrupt, and they found it easier to settle political issues with the military than to try and honor Roman law. Caesar was born into a wealthy and well-known family, but one without much political clout. Caesar became the head of his family at the age of 16 after his father died, and he worked his way up quickly through various official positions and appointments — he was an assistant to the consul, a chief priest, a governor of Spain, and then consul, the highest office in the Roman Republic. He formed the "first triumvirate" with Pompey and Crassus — Pompey was a military hero who was frustrated with the politics of the Republic, and Crassus was one of the richest people in the Republic, and is still considered one of the wealthiest people who has ever lived. Even though Pompey and Crassus hated each other, Caesar convinced them that it was worth getting over their differences, because the power and wealth that the three men had together made them hugely influential. The Triumvirate was secured when Pompey married Caesar's daughter, Julia.

Caesar was appointed governor of Gaul — what is now France and Belgium, but at that point was part of the Roman Republic. There, he recruited soldiers and conquered most of Western Europe, all the way to Britain. But back in Rome, his political alliances were falling apart. Crassus was killed in battle, hating Pompey until the end. Pompey turned against Caesar, and after Julia died, Pompey got remarried to the daughter of one of Caesar's enemies. Pompey had been appointed the temporary leader of the Senate and was turning the Senate against Caesar, declaring him an enemy of state.

In 50 B.C., the Senate announced that Caesar's term as a governor had ended, and demanded that he disband his army and return to Rome. According to Roman law, if a general was accompanied by a standing army when he entered the official Roman Republic from one of the Roman provinces, he would be considered a traitor. Caesar was afraid that if he obeyed Pompey's orders and disbanded his army, he would be prosecuted by the Senate for abusing power in the past, and would have no one to defend him.

The Rubicon River formed the border between Gaul and the Roman Republic. According to legend, even when Caesar got to the river with his army, he had still not made up his mind about what he would do. With the famous phrase Alea iacta est, or "the die is cast," he decided to cross.

The historian Suetonius was born around 70 A.D., more than a century after Caesar crossed the Rubicon. He published a history of 12 Roman emperors, beginning with Caesar. Suetonius wrote: "Overtaking his cohorts at the river Rubicon, which was the boundary of his province, he paused for a while, and realizing what a step he was taking, he turned to those about him and said: 'Even yet we may draw back; but once cross yon little bridge, and the whole issue is with the sword.' As he stood in doubt, this sign was given him. On a sudden there appeared hard by a being of wondrous stature and beauty, who sat and played upon a reed; and when not only the shepherds flocked to hear him, but many of the soldiers left their posts, and among them some of the trumpeters, the apparition snatched a trumpet from one of them, rushed to the river, and sounding the war-note with mighty blast, strode to the opposite bank. Then Caesar cried: 'Take we the course which the signs of the gods and the false dealing of our foes point out. The die is cast,' said he. Accordingly, crossing with his army, and welcoming the tribunes of the commons, who had come to him after being driven from Rome, he harangued the soldiers with tears, and rending his robe from his breast besought their faithful service."

With Caesar's crossing of the Rubicon, the Roman Republic was thrown into civil war. Eventually, Caesar defeated Pompey and his allies and emerged as the winner. As emperor, he made some radical changes in government. He decreased the power of the provinces, and centralized power in Rome. He eliminated much of the government's debt, disbanded powerful guilds, and rewarded people for having children in an effort to increase Rome's population. He set a term limit on governors, launched a huge rebuilding effort, established a police force, and modified the calendar. He made himself incredibly powerful and demanded that everyone revere him as part-deity.

Despite all he did and his huge legacy, Caesar's reign as emperor was short. He crossed the Rubicon in 49 B.C., and he was assassinated in 44 B.C.

Because of Caesar, the phrase "crossing the Rubicon" has entered popular culture, meaning "past the point of no return." And it is used in all sorts of contexts. In various articles written last fall, Google was "crossing the Rubicon" for the online shopping industry by making it possible for shoppers to see which local stores carry the products they want, in their store, at that very moment; Subaru was "crossing the Rubicon to sedan-hood" with its switch away from a hatchback for one of its models; Joe Biden said, "I crossed the Rubicon about not being president and being vice president when I decided to take this office." Rubicon is the name of a recently terminated conspiracy thriller TV show, and Crossing the Rubicon is the title of an album by the Swedish band The Sounds. The Supreme Court justice Anthony Kennedy said, "Sometimes you don't know if you're Caesar about to cross the Rubicon or Captain Queeg cutting your own tow line."

(thanks to G. Keillor's daily posting)
"Better by far you should forget and smile than that you should remember and be sad." ~ Christina Rossetti.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #254 on: January 11, 2011, 07:55:26 AM »
Thank you so much for that Joyce, I have put it in all the classes. I don't follow Keillor,  maybe I need to start, I do like the modern applications of the term he cites!

Maryemm

« Reply #255 on: January 12, 2011, 10:26:05 AM »

A very grand design: New Channel 4 series challenges builders to construct a huge Roman villa using only ancient methods.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1345586/Rome-wasnt-built-day-Channel-4-series-build-Roman-villa-using-ancient-methods.html#ixzz1AppGsGQv

Maryemm

« Reply #256 on: January 12, 2011, 10:31:32 AM »
I misssed this way back in August 2010. Hope you think It's worth posting!

British villa fit for an emperor: Experts finally solve puzzle of Roman ruins at Lullingstone

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1304086/Lullingstone-Roman-Villa-treasures-reveal-home-future-Emperor.html#ixzz1Apr4CW2l

Maryemm

« Reply #257 on: January 12, 2011, 10:33:34 AM »

High-ranking: A coin featuring the head of Pertinax Publius Helvius after he was made Roman Emperor in AD193

Isn't this beautiful!

Roxania

« Reply #258 on: January 12, 2011, 11:50:12 AM »
I don't know whether it's appropriate to post this here, but I'm going to.  If any of you enjoy listening to audiobooks and are members of Audible.com, there is now a sale going on where you can buy three books for only two credits.  Two of the books on the list are Everitt's biography of Augustus and Harold Lamb's Hannibal:  One Man Against Rome.  I'm listening to the Everitt book, and enjoying it.

roshanarose

« Reply #259 on: January 12, 2011, 10:01:51 PM »
Oh Maryemm - What a beautiful object!  I would love to hold it, or for that matter, keep it.
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

Maryemm

« Reply #260 on: January 21, 2011, 09:23:52 AM »
Roshana Rose: I think we all would!

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/rome-wasnt-built-in-a-day

WARNING: Strong language!

I missed the first half but watched the second It was fascinating to see these huge builders struggling as they tried to copy Roman builders. Bad backs, injuries, seemed to be the norm and when the Professor in charge discovered they had used wheelbarrows at one point, I had to turn the sound volume down!

I found it really interesting and next week promises to be even better as they are taken to Turkey where they see some Roman buildings and experience Roman baths. 

Tomereader1

« Reply #261 on: February 03, 2011, 11:30:29 AM »
I assume all you "classics" devotees have read it many times, but I found yesterday on the Amazon Kindle website that I could get Edw.Bulwer-Lytton's "The Last Days of Pompeii" for my Kindle...free! which I did!  I had never read it and assume I have pleasure in store.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Maryemm

Athena

« Reply #263 on: February 05, 2011, 08:42:49 AM »
Awesome, Maryemm.  And the road is in Dorset.  Have you been to see it?

Frybabe

« Reply #264 on: February 05, 2011, 09:03:48 AM »
Wow!

sandyrose

« Reply #265 on: February 07, 2011, 05:23:42 PM »
Maryemm...is that Roman road in a wet area that it is built so high and with deep ditches?  Wow.

Maryemm

« Reply #266 on: February 09, 2011, 05:27:41 PM »

Joyce:
Haven't been to see it yet. Something to look forward to when the weather is better!

Frybabe:
Agree!

SandyRose:
Don't know, Sandy. Must check.

Roxania

« Reply #267 on: February 20, 2011, 11:40:55 AM »

Roxania

« Reply #268 on: February 20, 2011, 01:19:03 PM »
If anyone thinks that the classics have nothing to say to us today, show them this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0sgS-QCssE&feature=player_embedded#at=323

It's from the  Theater of War/ Philoctetes Project:

http://www.philoctetesproject.org/about.html

roshanarose

« Reply #269 on: February 20, 2011, 10:18:45 PM »
Roxania - Hughes' new biography on Socrates looks like  a winner.  Bettany has also hosted several TV programs on Greece, one I particularly enjoyed was set in Crete.  I have the Helen of Troy biography, but haven't read it yet.

Roxania

« Reply #270 on: February 24, 2011, 12:08:30 AM »
Did anybody happen to catch "Secrets of the Dead" on PBS tonight?  Archaeologists in York uncovered forty-four bodies that had been decapitated and generally brutalized.  DNA tests showed that they were from all over the Empire (rather than Caledonian warriors, which had been one possibility); cups in the cemetery dated the burials to the time right around 200 AD.

Between the archaeologists, Cassius Dio and modern historians, they finally concluded that these were the people Caracalla murdered after the death of Severus--his old tutor who was trying to talk him into getting along with his brother, the doctors who had refused to hasten Severus's death, assorted people who had prevented him from killing his father, and anybody he wanted to get rid of before returning to Rome to kill his brother.

Not often that archaeology and history mesh so neatly!  The full show doesn't seem to be available online, but here's the description:

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/secrets/previous_seasons/case_headless/index.html

Frybabe

« Reply #271 on: February 24, 2011, 11:47:29 AM »
Oh nuts! I saw it was on and made a MENTAL note of it. Big mistake. I forgot. I'll have to see if it pops up in the On Demand listing.

Maryemm

« Reply #273 on: February 24, 2011, 12:06:36 PM »

A rich cache of ancient Roman statues representing a troubled imperial dynasty has been unearthed on the outskirts of Rome, according to Italy’s Ministry of Cultural Heritage.

roshanarose

« Reply #274 on: February 24, 2011, 09:27:16 PM »
Maryemm - Thank you for two very interesting links.  Also on the "headless bodies" page there is a story about a pit filled with Viking heads.  I realise that it was full-on war with the Vikings, but how they died was particularly brutal.  Shudder!   

Maryemm

« Reply #275 on: February 25, 2011, 03:57:39 PM »
Roshanarose: This is even worse!

Early Britons were cannibals who drank out of cups made from human skulls, hoard of remains reveal

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1357764/Ancient-Britons-drank-skulls-used-cups.html#ixzz1F0RcSMIA

Recent evidence that Druids possibly committed cannibalism and ritual human sacrifice—perhaps on a massive scale—add weight to ancient Roman accounts of Druidic savagery, archaeologists say........

See: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/03/090320-druids-sacrifice-cannibalism.html

JoanR

« Reply #276 on: March 04, 2011, 08:10:50 AM »
The Pompeii Exhibit has just opened in NYC and will be there through Sept. 4  Here's a link to the article from today's NYT:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/04/arts/design/04vesuvius.html?_r=1&ref=arts

Frybabe

« Reply #277 on: March 06, 2011, 06:42:56 PM »
Okay, here is one for you. First the article about the magnetic pole shift:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/adjust-your-compass-now-the-north-pole-is-migrating-to-russia-2233610.html

Then there is this comment from a reader:
his comes up all over; Herodotus. Histories volume 2 paragraph 142 on the Gutenberg online version (Translated into English by G. C. Macaulay).
The Egyptian priests told Harry that in 11,366.5 years;
'the sun had moved four times from his accustomed place of rising, and where he now sets he had thence twice had his rising, and in the place from whence he now rises he had twice had his setting; and in the meantime nothing in Egypt had been changed from its usual state, neither that which comes from the earth nor that which comes to them from the river nor that which concerns diseases or deaths'

??? what the hell does that mean? Anyone here read Greek?

So, does this sound like the Ancient Greeks knew something?  Well, maybe, maybe not. The magnetic shift would not flip the whole earth, so the sun would rise and set like it always does. But I guess that if North and South flip, then East and West might be redesignated. That is if you wanted to keep East to your right and West to your left as you face North.

roshanarose

« Reply #278 on: March 06, 2011, 09:43:25 PM »
Who is Harry?

Frybabe

« Reply #279 on: March 06, 2011, 11:21:22 PM »
I assume that was the writer's flippant name for Herodotus.