Author Topic: Classics Forum  (Read 352238 times)

Maryemm

Re: Classics Forum
« Reply #520 on: January 02, 2013, 02:46:36 PM »

The Classics Forum

Paestum

Paestum, a complex of Greek Temples in  Southern Italy.

Welcome to our Classics Forum, which is our public discussion for those interested in the Classics. Since our Latin Classes are not visible to the public but we have a great many people interested in talking about the Classics, we've put this discussion up for your interest.

Please share here news, clips, magazine or newspaper articles, movies or television shows and especially books  you find that would be of interest to those of us who love the classics world.

Everyone is welcome!

It's never too late to learn Latin!

Interested in learning more about our Latin Courses? Click here: Learn More About Our Latin Courses

bellemere

« Reply #521 on: January 16, 2013, 01:54:30 PM »
For ginny"
Wanted to let you know that my son,  Ph.D. Classics candidate at C.U.N.Y. has found and adjunct prgessor job that will ive him free tuition as well as salary, althouh modest.  He will be teaching two courses at Hunter College in New York City, part of the C.U.N.Y. system.  The courses are: Mythology  and Grek and  Roan Toots of English.
 If I lived neary New York
City I would ask to audit.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #522 on: January 16, 2013, 07:31:12 PM »
Bellemere, what wonderful news! I am so happy for him and you, and that's a good college, too.

Sounds like he's well on the way to making significant contributions to the field. How marvelous!

Thank you for letting us know!

Babi

« Reply #523 on: January 17, 2013, 05:11:41 PM »
  Congratulations to your son, BELLE.  That is an auspicious beginning for a young man.
Best wishes to him.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Frybabe

« Reply #524 on: January 18, 2013, 07:55:35 AM »
This just popped up on my radar:

http://ancientweb.org/index.php/global

Babi

« Reply #525 on: January 18, 2013, 09:21:16 AM »
 Beautifully done site, FRYBABE, with fascinating subjects.  I've added it to my favorites
list and will be going back to register.  I had to stop long enough to read about the Anglo-
Saxon finds.  Learned some surprising things in just that one article.  Thank you so much
for posting that link.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #526 on: January 18, 2013, 09:34:53 PM »
How interesting! Thank you, Frybabe! I watched Hannibal's Elephants from the BBC, with Adrian Goldsworthy, different and interesting.

Maryemm

« Reply #527 on: January 21, 2013, 09:36:04 AM »
 Have been ill for two weeks so only catching up with news here.

FryBabe: Had a look at this link and was fascinated to see the video about Celts and North American Indians. Have heard about a possible link between Welsh explorer(s) and some Indian tribes but thought it was just a tall story. See that Irish/Celtic words were possibly incorporated at some time. Amazing!

In papers today : Pope's Baffling Tweet in Latin.

The Pope seems to have tweeted in Latin for the first time yesterday.

See:
http://www.scotsman.com/news/sci-tech/twitter-on-message-in-pope-s-latin-revival-plan-1-2748847

Frybabe

« Reply #528 on: January 21, 2013, 11:02:16 AM »
Yes, I've known of the claims for a long time. Someone was looking into getting the Smithsonian to try some DNA testing, but I can't find if they actually did or not. In the meantime, I found this article. http://xo.typepad.com/blog/2003/10/genetics_make_w_1.html If the Welsh have a Y chromosome that is passed on by the male, you would think if they got a DNA sample, they could say with some certainty whether or not the Welsh got here early on. Unfortunately, it looks like Native Americans also share the chromosome which came from the Ket people of western Siberia. Apparently, they think that is ultimately where the Welsh originated too. No help at all, there. But, it could explain why they found a family of red-haired and blue-eyed mummies in China and why some NA Indians looked "European".  Just a speculation. I don't have info on what this particular gene does. Could it hold eye/hair/skin color info that only rarely pops up in populations?

Maryemm

« Reply #529 on: January 22, 2013, 10:19:07 AM »

I always believed the red-haired, fair skinned Celts were of Scottish origin.

South Walians are short in stature, with very dark eyes and eyebrows.

Interesting article. my thanks.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #530 on: January 22, 2013, 12:37:27 PM »
Mary, we're without a macronizer again. Are you in contact with the young man who started it?

I am sorry to hear you've been under the weather! I hope you are feeling much better now.

Maryemm

« Reply #531 on: January 23, 2013, 09:28:32 AM »

Sorry, Ginny, when my PC was restored to factory settings I lost all contact. I expect you have tried Googling?

Keith (UK) might be a possibility also.

Yes, yjank you,  I feel alive again! Some nasty viruses going the rounds!

Maryemm

« Reply #532 on: January 23, 2013, 10:57:27 AM »

I don't know what this (free) sofware entails but it mentions a macronizer.

http://latinteach.blogspot.co.uk/2009/10/legible-latin.html

Legible Latin is a Latin dictionary and text reader software package written by Thomas McCarthy and available from Perlingua Language Tool..................
 The program also includes a "macronizer" for adding macrons to Latin text.

Maryemm

« Reply #533 on: January 25, 2013, 06:44:00 AM »

Claudius became emperor shortly after his nephew was assassinated by his bodyguard, on January 24, A.D. 41.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #534 on: January 25, 2013, 10:04:25 AM »
Thank you Mary, I looked that up and am not able to see how it might work here for us. Yes I've googled and googled. Found a lot of great stuff but not that. (I even found a 2007 post to a computer website asking for  help from one of our students, in trying to put macrons in his emails with my comments. hahaaa)  I found this http://www.motive.co.nz/glossary/macron.php but it's a million ways to type in the old code thing. :)

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #535 on: January 25, 2013, 10:33:56 AM »
I found a free software program called Legible Latin that you can download at http://www.perlingua.com/LatinHome/Legible/

At the bottom of this page of screen shots of the program, it indicates that it has a built in macronizer. You can add accents to vowels: http://www.perlingua.com/LatinHome/Legible/screenshots.html

Maybe you can use it and copy and paste the macronized text here?

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #536 on: January 25, 2013, 10:42:19 AM »
I found other macron info at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:Macrons

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #537 on: January 25, 2013, 10:50:22 AM »
Thank you for looking into this, Marcie.

The Legible one appears to be putting some strange symbols over the Latin vowels instead of macrons? I have forgotten the terminology for the ^ but it's using that and some French accent marks over the Latin vowels?

I'll look at the second one. They use one on Quia which would be perfect but apparently we'd have to make the whole site java in order to choose one and use it.

I wish the young man who developed the macronizer  first would have allowed people to pay for it, it really worked well. I hoped Mary still  had his address (I keep forgetting how long ago that was. hahahaa)  I am confident he could make us one and we could  link to it on .com or something on our other sites. Possibly.  

I looked at the wiki one. It does not say it works online. Word has a good program for insertion of symbols and you can do shortcuts but they don't work online unless  you cut and paste there. We know about  pop char.

We HAD a little box which would float on the screen and which you could use to post the macrons on the website in discussions. The site which sponsored it (and the one which took over for it) suddenly stopped working.

Maryemm

« Reply #538 on: January 25, 2013, 04:39:20 PM »

I hoped the Legible Latin link would have been useful.

Can't recall the young man's name now.  I lost a lot of stuff when my PC was restored to factory settings. Shame!

I am now clutching at straws. Have a look at:

http://maori.typeit.org/

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #539 on: January 25, 2013, 05:31:28 PM »
Well now that's nice, Mary, thank you. You'd have to  have two windows open or switch back and forth, but some people may do that anyway. So that might work unless we can get one here for our Latin students that originates from us, somehow.

Thank you!

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #540 on: January 25, 2013, 09:23:24 PM »
The following site has info about typing macrons for Macs and PCs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:Macrons

Following the instructions for the Mac, I am able to type the macron here.

mācrōn

Do you see the long mark over the a and o in Mācrōn? After enabling the extended keyboard for the Mac, I pressed the option key on my keyboard and the letter a then typed a; to get the mark over the o  I pressed the option key on my keyboard and the letter a then typed o.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #541 on: January 25, 2013, 09:31:08 PM »
Maryemm, the maori site works well too.
mācrōn

Pete7268

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #542 on: January 26, 2013, 04:24:30 PM »
Not sure if this BBC i player link works.  Interesting first of a series programme on the art of Rome.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p00wpvpr/Treasures_of_Ancient_Rome_Warts_n_All/

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #543 on: January 27, 2013, 09:21:17 AM »
Unfortunately it doesn't work outside the UK. You  all are just drowning in wonderful Roman programming, makes me green with envy as you can see. hahahaa

Thank you for thinking of us tho. The BBC does great classics stuff, and occasionally you can find it pirated on youtube.

On the macrons, thank you Mary and Marcie, I think I'll put both of those links up and see if people would like to try them!

Maryemm

« Reply #544 on: January 30, 2013, 12:35:36 PM »

I've just checked the maori link

http://maori.typeit.org/

and found this in the bottom right hand corner of the page. (Did you see it?)

Help
Press Ctrl with the appropriate letter. For example, to type ā, press Ctrl + A; to type ō, press Ctrl + O.

Stop the mouse over each button to learn its keyboard shortcut.

You can select text and press Ctrl + C to copy it to your docu­ment. In your target document, press Ctrl + V, or, if you want to paste the text without formatting, try Ctrl + Shift + V.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Created by Tomasz P. Szynalski • Become TypeIt’s fan on Facebook

Frybabe

« Reply #545 on: February 03, 2013, 02:23:20 PM »
Kim Komando often has interesting sites to pass along in her newsletters. This is the latest:
http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/ If you are interested in early Christian religion/history.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #546 on: February 03, 2013, 06:07:43 PM »
Mary, no I didn't see that. Thank you for pointing it out!

Margie, how interesting, thank you, also. We can really stay on top of everything  in this discusison  thanks to you all.

Maryemm

« Reply #547 on: February 04, 2013, 07:07:33 AM »

Nothing to do with the Romans but exciting news nevertheless:

Experts find remains of England's King Richard III

See: http://www.mail.com/int/news/uk/1866894-experts-find-remains-englands-king-richard-iii.html#.1258-stage-hero1-2

As a Richard lll  fan I am really thrilled. Shakespeare and Thomas More did a real hatchet job on him and have a lot to answer for.

Frybabe

« Reply #548 on: February 04, 2013, 07:22:24 AM »
Marvelous, Maryemm. When I turned the news on this morning, it was just about the first thing I saw. Thanks for the article. It has a bit more info than the newscast.

Babi

« Reply #549 on: February 04, 2013, 08:37:16 AM »
  The Huffington Post also reported that bone studies indicate that Richard III did have scoliosis, but not the
hunchback described in Shakespeare's play.  Another 'exaggeration' for dramatic impact, or slander, we'll
likely never know.

Maryemm

« Reply #550 on: February 04, 2013, 03:16:38 PM »

I'm recording a documentary this evening  so will have all the details from the experts. There is even a reconstruction of his face.
 He was not a hunchback from what I've read lately.

Lots of images here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2273164/Richard-III-Scientists-reveal-DNA-results-confirm-kings-body-car-park-Leicester.html

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #551 on: February 04, 2013, 03:40:21 PM »
My goodness, that's some curved spine he's got, would that be scoliosis? I know that hurt, just looking at it.

Maryemm

« Reply #552 on: February 05, 2013, 07:19:22 AM »

HOW EXPERTS RECREATED THE FACE OF KING RICHARD III

To make the reconstruction of King Richard III, forensic experts took a 3D scan of the skull unearthed at Greyfriars before using a computer to add layers of muscle and skin.
The king's facial structure was produced using a scientific approach, based on anatomical assessment and interpretation, and a 3D replication process known as 'stereolithography'.
 The result was made into a three-dimensional plastic model.

'When the 3D digital bust was complete it was replicated in plastic using a rapid prototyping system and this was painted, prosthetic eyes added and dressed with a wig, hat and clothing,' said Caroline Wilkinson, professor of craniofacial identification at the University of Dundee.
The final head was painted and textured with glass eyes and a wig, using the portraits as reference, to create 'a realistic and regal appearance'.

Janice Aitken, a lecturer at Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art & Design (DJCAD), part of Dundee University, painted the 3D replica of the head that Professor Wilkinson created.
'My part in the process was purely interpretive rather than scientific,' she said.
 'Guided by Professor Wilkinson's expertise, I drew on my experience in portrait painting, using a combination of historical and contemporary references to create a finished surface texture.'
. 'I think people will like it. He's a man who lived. Indeed, when I looked him in the eye, 'Good King Richard' seemed alive and about to speak.
'At last, it seems, we have the true image of Richard III - is this the face that launched a thousand myths?'

The reconstruction will eventually be loaned to Leicester City Council to be displayed in their planned visitors centre adjacent to the Greyfriars site, dedicated to telling the story of King Richard III's life and death.
There are no surviving contemporary portraits of the king, making this reconstruction particularly important.

Historian and author John Ashdown-Hill, an expert on Richard III's reign, told the BBC that the reconstruction largely matched the prominent features in posthumous representations of the king.
 'All the surviving portraits of him - even the very later ones with humped backs and things which were obviously later additions - facially are quite similar [to each other] so it has always been assumed that they were based on a contemporary portrait painted in his lifetime or possibly several portraits painted in his lifetime,' he said.

Ms Langley, added: 'Seeing a true likeness of England's last Plantagenet and warrior king meant, for me, finally coming face-to-face with the man I'd invested four years searching for.
 'The experience was breathtaking - one of the most overwhelming moments of my life. I wasn't alone in finding this an approachable, kindly

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2273703/The-face-Richard-III-Reconstruction-reveals-slain-king-500-years-killed-battle.html#ixzz2K1hbVxNj

Frybabe

« Reply #553 on: February 05, 2013, 05:46:57 PM »
Thanks, MaryEmm. Don't you get the feeling he is trying to keep up a brave face through a whole bunch of troubles?

For your listening pleasure:
http://www.booksshouldbefree.com/book/De-Bello-Gallico-Libri-Septem

Maryemm

« Reply #554 on: February 12, 2013, 10:12:27 AM »

Rome - Current Discoveries

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Colosseum Cleaning Yields Ancient Art Discoveries Including Old Frescos, Graffiti

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Did Romans dump the remains of their dead children with their rubbish? Grisly discoveries reveal unsympathetic attitudes

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Major archaeological discovery in Rome

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #555 on: February 12, 2013, 11:00:19 AM »
Mary you keep us up on all the news, thank  you so much! I don't think Metro C will ever be able to run but isn't it exciting! The new site  will open in 3  years, something to look forward to.

Also on  Richard III, Time Magazine did publish the photo of his skeleton and did identify it as scoliosis and said it must have come on in his youth by the way it looked but it was a major bend, that's probably where the "hunchback" came from. And maybe one leg shorter than the other.

In our Latin classes we've posted the Pope's address in Latin and the translation. Students are excited to be able to recognize constructions and to read the Latin:

Pope Benedict's Abdication Address:

Fratres carissimi

Non solum propter tres canonizationes ad hoc Consistorium vos convocavi, sed etiam ut vobis decisionem magni momenti pro Ecclesiae vita communicem. Conscientia mea iterum atque iterum coram Deo explorata ad cognitionem certam perveni vires meas ingravescente aetate non iam aptas esse ad munus Petrinum aeque administrandum.

Bene conscius sum hoc munus secundum suam essentiam spiritualem non solum agendo et loquendo exsequi debere, sed non minus patiendo et orando. Attamen in mundo nostri temporis rapidis mutationibus subiecto et quaestionibus magni ponderis pro vita fidei perturbato ad navem Sancti Petri gubernandam et ad annuntiandum Evangelium etiam vigor quidam corporis et animae necessarius est, qui ultimis mensibus in me modo tali minuitur, ut incapacitatem  meam ad ministerium mihi commissum bene  administrandum agnoscere debeam. Quapropter bene conscius ponderis huius actus plena libertate declaro me ministerio Episcopi Romae, Successoris Sancti Petri, mihi per manus Cardinalium die 19 aprilis MMV commissum renuntiare  ita ut a die 28 februarii MMXIII, hora 20, sedes Romae, sedes Sancti Petri vacet et Conclave  ad eligendum novum Summum Pontificem ab his quibus competit convocandum esse.

Fratres carissimi, ex toto corde gratias ago vobis pro omni amore et labore, quo mecum pondus ministerii mei portastis et veniam peto pro omnibus defectibus meis. Nunc autem Sanctam Dei Ecclesiam curae Summi eius Pastoris, Domini nostri Iesu Christi confidimus sanctamque eius Matrem Mariam imploramus, ut patribus Cardinalibus in eligendo novo Summo Pontifice materna sua bonitate assistat. Quod ad me attinet etiam in futuro vita orationi dedicata Sanctae Ecclesiae Dei toto ex corde servire velim.
Ex Aedibus Vaticanis, die 10 mensis februarii MMXIII  
BENEDICTUS PP XVI

Translation:

Dear Brothers,

I have convoked you to this Consistory, not only for the three canonizations, but also to communicate to you a decision of great importance for the life of the Church. After having repeatedly examined my conscience before God, I have come to the certainty that my strengths, due to an advanced age, are no longer suited to an adequate exercise of the Petrine ministry. I am well aware that this ministry, due to its essential spiritual nature, must be carried out not only with words and deeds, but no less with prayer and suffering. However, in today’s world, subject to so many rapid changes and shaken by questions of deep relevance for the life of faith, in order to govern the bark of Saint Peter and proclaim the Gospel, both strength of mind and body are necessary, strength which in the last few months, has deteriorated in me to the extent that I have had to recognize my incapacity to adequately fulfill the ministry entrusted to me. For this reason, and well aware of the seriousness of this act, with full freedom I declare that I renounce the ministry of Bishop of Rome, Successor of Saint Peter, entrusted to me by the Cardinals on 19 April 2005, in such a way, that as from 28 February 2013, at 20:00 hours, the See of Rome, the See of Saint Peter, will be vacant and a Conclave to elect the new Supreme Pontiff will have to be convoked by those whose competence it is.

Dear Brothers, I thank you most sincerely for all the love and work with which you have supported me in my ministry and I ask pardon for all my defects. And now, let us entrust the Holy Church to the care of Our Supreme Pastor, Our Lord Jesus Christ, and implore his holy Mother Mary, so that she may assist the Cardinal Fathers with her maternal solicitude, in electing a new Supreme Pontiff. With regard to myself, I wish to also devotedly serve the Holy Church of God in the future through a life dedicated to prayer

Maryemm

« Reply #556 on: February 12, 2013, 03:22:55 PM »

See also  Post  527 !

In his first tweet yesterday, the pontiff said God asked believers to “Orare semper, iustitiam factitare, amare probitatem, humiles Secum ambulare,” which translates as “pray constantly, do justice, love goodness and walk humbly with Him.” (January 2013)

Maryemm

« Reply #557 on: February 12, 2013, 03:29:39 PM »

At the BAFTA Awards this week, the presenter, Stephen Fry. signed off with the word, 

Salvēte!

I think most people missed it!!

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #558 on: February 12, 2013, 06:28:00 PM »
I'll be darned, he signed off? Said goodbye with Salvete? Interesting.

Also in Downton Abbey  Sunday night there was a Latin expression. Latin is far from dead, despite the article today on the BBC App. :)

Frybabe

« Reply #559 on: February 12, 2013, 10:51:46 PM »
Here is an article I found today: "Pope resignation: Who speaks Latin these days?"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21412604

Ginny, sorry about missing class again today. I had errands in the morning, had lunch and then ended up with another CATastrophy involving Oscar. He jumped down from a low cabinet and managed to injure himself. I have had a cat bouncing off of walls a foot below the ceiling, and sailing of a deck and hitting the ground running. I have had cats climbing and jumping on all sorts of things, but never have I ever had one injure itself. Oscar really, really freaked me when his head started bobbing sideways and his eyes kept shifting back and forth at the same time and not in unison. He was having trouble walking without his back leg buckling or him losing balance. Off to the vet again. Vet thinks he popped the cat version of a kneecap, since his knee feels loose. Vet says it is not common in cats, but he sees it all the time in small dogs. Article I read later said that cats don't seem to go lame with these injuries, so it probably happens more than people realize.  As for the eye thing, he may have hit his head too, but the vet couldn't find anything. He did ask if Oscar had a seizure, but I didn't see him fall just heard the thump right behind me. So the little guy got more shots - cortisone and an anti-inflammatory. I am still pretty upset, more than Oscar at this point.