Author Topic: Classics Forum  (Read 352404 times)

ginny

• Administrator
Re: Classics Forum
« Reply #880 on: May 16, 2016, 07:27:10 PM »

The Classics Forum

Paestum

Paestum, a complex of Greek Temples in  Southern Italy.

Welcome to our Classics Forum, which is our public discussion for those interested in the Classics. Since our Latin Classes are not visible to the public but we have a great many people interested in talking about the Classics, we've put this discussion up for your interest.

Please share here news, clips, magazine or newspaper articles, movies or television shows and especially books  you find that would be of interest to those of us who love the classics world.

Everyone is welcome!

Congratulations to the Class of 2014 and their awesome results on the National Latin Exam! See post 654 below!

It's never too late to learn Latin!

Interested in learning more about our Latin Courses? Click here: Learn More About Our Latin Courses

Is it like script? Graffiti? The lower case letters? I am hoping to have time to look at her 3rd one in more detail but I'm leaving the day after tomorrow, and am gone all day tomorrow, so I'll have to put that pleasure off till I get back.

Goodness on the slave management, is it a commentary on Cato's De Agri Cultura?

See you in a few weeks. :)

Frybabe

« Reply #881 on: May 17, 2016, 06:46:30 AM »
The Toner book, a review tells me, is narrated by a ficticious character (Marcus Sidonius Falx) but the material is non-fiction and taken from various original source material including Seneca and Pliny the Younger.

As far as the lower case writing, according to Wikipedia what MB pointed out in the 3rd episode is a form of cursive writing used mostly for informal writing, like letters and business transactions. Here is the Wikepedia page. I post it because it has a bit of Plautis making fun of the illegibility of the cursive writting and a pix of a Claudius era writing. So the use of the cursive on a stone feature must have been unusual? Formal Roman writing used the familiar Roman caps.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_cursive#New_Roman_cursive And here I thought the Romans only used capitol block lettering.

Of course, all this brings to mind the recent push to discontinue teaching cursive. http://www.today.com/parents/cursive-comeback-handwriting-lessons-return-some-schools-t41081

Maryemm

« Reply #882 on: May 17, 2016, 12:37:33 PM »
WARNING

I have received a message from someone called  jones-i3 with a link to fadivape.com. Normally I delete these without a second thought but this greets me as "Maryemm," followed by "Salutamus," and this did make me pause.

I Googled fadivape and am warned that this site may have been hacked. I am assuming it has been though the site is quite unknown to me.

I am, therefore, letting you know about this link which may be sent to you and others in a Latin (?) group.

To quote the worn-out cliché, Better to be safe than sorry!

Frybabe

« Reply #883 on: May 17, 2016, 03:32:27 PM »
Thanks, MaryEmm.

Frybabe

« Reply #884 on: May 22, 2016, 06:45:00 AM »
Watched the 4th Mary Beard episode last night. It wasn't quite as interesting for me as the others, but I did like seeing the many miniature, portable god idols.

Maryemm

« Reply #885 on: June 01, 2016, 05:10:08 AM »
I have recorded the last two as we have been away. Now have a lot of catching up to do. Where does the time go?

Maryemm

« Reply #886 on: June 02, 2016, 09:53:47 AM »

UK's oldest hand-written document 'at Roman London dig'    1 June 2016,  London

Read all about it here at:

Frybabe

« Reply #887 on: June 02, 2016, 01:46:27 PM »
Oh, thanks MaryEmm. There was a brief newscast about the find. I wanted to look it up this morning for more info, but forgot.

Maryemm

« Reply #888 on: June 03, 2016, 04:02:45 PM »

Great 2016 exam results, Ginny. So pleased for you......and for them!!

Frybabe

« Reply #889 on: June 19, 2016, 02:46:22 PM »
I am getting a kick out of reading a page in Racial Prejudice in imperial Rome by A. N. Sherwin-White where he references various early writers showing the jibes back and forth between the Germans and Romans regarding size and trousers. The Romans looked down their noses at the long-haired, trouser wearing Gemans, while the Germans made fun of the Roman's (Italian) small stature.

Frybabe

« Reply #890 on: June 19, 2016, 04:26:19 PM »
Okay, now I am on another research hunt. I am into a chapter on how the Romans vs. Greeks viewed each other. Junenal is particularly nasty about Greeks being offered many jobs he thinks should go to native born Romans. (Sound familiar?) He also is one of apparently many who take exception to Greek gymnastic games because of possible homosexual overtones. That brings up an interesting point. The Romans seem to have had no problem with homosexual acts under certain circumstances and if they are discreet. I guess gymnastic games (generally held in the nude) were not discreet. Or, is the tide slowly starting to turn against such activities?

One thing I want to check on is the practice of not allowing soldiers to wed. I found a reference that this was something Augustus decreed. Now I want to know if he expanded or tightened rules already in place because I thought this was a rule that was already there, at least back to Caesar's campaigns where those below a certain rank (Tribune, is it?) were not allowed to marry. Maybe I will find info in one of my books on the evolution of the Roman Army. For now, I don't want to get too sidetracked with too many questions. I want to finish this book, read the one on Roman foreign policy and then a book called Roman Syria. The campaigns in Asia Minor and the East are a part of Roman history I know very little of except that they happened.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #891 on: June 20, 2016, 04:55:26 PM »
FRY: trust you to find a book like that! It sounds fascinating. I had wondered, when we were reading Ovid, about  the attitude of Roman's to Greeks: somehow I got a whiff of "What makes you think  you're so great?!" (A perfect chance to use the interrobang (?! or !? if you prefer).

Maryemm

« Reply #892 on: June 21, 2016, 08:01:06 AM »
FRY: Agree with Joan. You have a knack of finding books I didn't know existed. Mind you, at the moment I am so busy de-cluttering that I daren't even think of bringing another item into the house.

(The Romans always thought the Greeks inferior, didn't they?)

I had always accepted that Roman soldiers were not allowed to wed, file and rank, that is. As they had to serve for 25 years they formed "Civil unions.," their  children referred to as "in castris". When money was involved things could get nasty, the "heirs" not being recognised.(still happens!).

mabel1015j

« Reply #893 on: June 21, 2016, 07:58:57 PM »
I've only read the posts on this page, so you all probably know that PBS is doing a 3 part series on Greece. On our station the first program is tonight at 9:00.

Jean

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #894 on: June 23, 2016, 06:08:11 PM »
JEAN: I DIDN'T! See if I can catch it here.

MARYEMM: "The Romans always thought the Greeks inferior, didn't they?" Or did the literary Roman's have a bit of an inferiority complex? Reminds me of literary Americans vis-à-vis Europe at the beginning of the 19th century.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #896 on: June 26, 2016, 10:28:45 AM »
Wow, fantastic, thank you, Maryemm!  Did you see the one this morning about Roman stuff being found in SW England and was Devon mentioned, too?  And maps now being rethought?  The Romans are literally popping up all over, aren't they, this summer.

I'd like to know where they are excavating this shop, is it in the area previously set aside? I'm not seeing a location in the article or I read it too fast in excitement.  That's a great magazine, by the way, if anybody is interested in a good archaeology magazine.That's not in the issue I have, it must be in a new one, very exciting. Thank you!

I also appreciate hearing about the Greeks series, I've gotten one episode on the DVR and hopefully it will catch the rest, it's available on PBS for a limited time in free video.

Maryemm have you seen a program called The Extraordinary Collector? If so, what did you think of it?

And what do you think of Brexit?

How are you doing?

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #897 on: June 26, 2016, 05:38:36 PM »
The first part of "The Greeks" is showing tonight at 6 (in LA). Now if my TV cooperates: it's been off and on all day!

Maryemm

« Reply #898 on: June 27, 2016, 04:11:53 PM »
I haven't heard of "The Extraordinary Collector", Ginny. Mind you, I'm not surprised. Because of the football tournaments all programmes seem to have to give way to that sport. I don't watch as much TV as I used to. There are so many repeats and I don't like reality shows.

Brexit. Oh dear! Our PM has resigned and I am shocked as I think of it as quitting, a word he often used about others! Whatever one's feelings we should, and must, pull together now.
 The "losers" are clamouring for another referendum. That is not democracy in my opinion, but a case of "let's go on doing this till I get the result I want!" (reminds me of the Scottish Minister).
One woman, (on video), actually saying she wouldn't have voted "Out" if she thought that the "out" people would win.(What??)

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #899 on: June 27, 2016, 06:48:12 PM »
Watched the first part of "The Greeks" last night. It stopped before reaching the period of high culture that we associate with them. But it was very interesting in showing how geography shaped their character. Unlike every other great civilization of the past, they were not blessed with fertile land and a source of fresh water. Only rocky soil, the sea, and a bunch of small islands. So they turned to the sea and became traders. When they learned to make olive oil, it became to them what petroleum oil is to modern states that trade it: it was used for everything (except powering vehicles) and everyone wanted it. Who knew?

But then there was a period of decay: the Greek equivalent of the European "Dark ages".  the next program will take up what follows (I suppose the period we're familiar with is the Greek equivalent of the Renaissance.

Which are we in, do you think?

Tomereader1

« Reply #900 on: June 28, 2016, 12:44:04 PM »
Thought some of you here might enjoy this book!  This was on BookPage.

June 28, 2016 

https://t.e2ma.net/click/yi4d7/u3tci/yudt6n 
Living with a Dead Language
By Ann Patty
Review by Amy Scribner
MEMOIR
Ann Patty was at loose ends after being forced into early retirement from her high-powered job in book publishing. It was 2008, the recession was grinding everything to a halt, and suddenly Patty, the editor of the bestselling Life of Pi, was rattling around her home in upstate New York. She joined Match.com, read piles of books and weeded her garden. But something was missing from this new life.
Read more>>

ALSO IN BOOKPAGE: See what Ann Patty has been reading. 

The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Maryemm

« Reply #901 on: July 01, 2016, 04:09:56 PM »
 Tomereader1: The book sounds interesting. I must watch out for it in my local library. Normally I would order it from Amazon, or download it, but I am on a de-cluttering mission. I read a book by a Japanese lady who advocates asking "Do I really want this?" rather than, ""Shall I get rid of this?". The object has to bring one Joy. Sounds very odd but seems to work for me. I have filled five sacks with clothes and shoes, and the hallway has a mound of objects for the charity shops. Have only just started!

Nothing to do with Romans or Greeks, though I am sure they had very tidy villas. Now where do I buy a slave?

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #902 on: July 01, 2016, 08:02:11 PM »
I read a book by a Japanese lady who advocates asking "Do I really want this?" rather than, ""Shall I get rid of this?". The object has to bring one Joy. Sounds very odd but seems to work for me. I have filled five sacks with clothes and shoes, and the hallway has a mound of objects for the charity shops. Have only just started!

I love that. Me too, I just started, too. JOY? I've just started too. My issue is books, all of which give me joy. I'm determined this time to de clutter.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #903 on: July 02, 2016, 06:02:59 PM »
JOY? I'm remembering when I moved from the three story house I'd lived in for 37 years to an apartment. I really wanted to move, but I'd say "getting it over with" was more prominent than joy. Luckily, my wonderful son did a lot of the work, just showing me things and asking "keep, throw away, or donate?"

PatH is going through it now. Remember ,PAT, feel the joy!

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #904 on: July 02, 2016, 08:24:45 PM »
Yeah, I'm trying hard to feel the joy, but it's hiding.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #905 on: July 02, 2016, 08:28:43 PM »
:) Did you move, PatH? So quickly? Wow, my hat's off to you, I couldn't have done that.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #906 on: July 02, 2016, 08:46:33 PM »
No, I didn't move yet.  I couldn't have done that either.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #907 on: July 02, 2016, 09:04:24 PM »
Oh good, well you're Superwoman,  anyway, in my book. :)

Maryemm

« Reply #908 on: July 04, 2016, 10:33:58 AM »
I used to try and de-clutter one room at a time but somehow it didn't work. Clearing by categories does,  for the present.  Have got as far as "Accessories", Ginny. Books further down the agenda,
Books will be difficult though children's annuals going back to the fifties will go first. Paperbacks went earlier this year though have complete sets for Lindsay Davies, Terry Pratchett, still. Like re-reading these.

Have been at the same address since 1962, Joan; that's the problem! Storage spaces filled with items from old family homes : not that valuable but with some value, apart from sentiment. Offspring don't want them. Other Half has nearly 100 paperweights and I have over 100 vintage powder compacts, and three corkboards filled with vintage brooches. Drawers full of costume "jewellery". It's called "Collecting". (I've only just realised "Clutter" starts with the same letter!!)

Pat: I think the Joy comes when you see the sacks of discarded stuff.

Maryemm

« Reply #909 on: July 04, 2016, 10:39:04 AM »

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #910 on: July 04, 2016, 12:11:07 PM »
I'm still not feeling any joy, and I'm certainly not going to pitch any Terry Pratchett.  He's the funniest author I know.

Maryemm

« Reply #911 on: July 04, 2016, 01:40:02 PM »
 Pat : The joy follows when you see all those bags piled up in the hall!   :O)

I expect you have read "Good Omens"? (Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman)

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #912 on: July 05, 2016, 09:24:07 AM »
It's called "Collecting". (I've only just realised "Clutter" starts with the same letter!!)

hahahaa, love it!

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #913 on: July 06, 2016, 07:35:52 PM »
Maryemm: I'm expecting to see you on Antiques Road show, being told your "clutter' is worth either three million dollars or three dollars.

Maryemm

« Reply #914 on: July 12, 2016, 11:18:39 AM »
 Oh Joan, if only ! We are trying to get something done about our poor Broadband speeds here and have been told a privately-funded fibre cabinet would cost between £20,000 and £40,000. So a $3 million find would be great!

Frybabe

« Reply #915 on: July 13, 2016, 02:13:40 PM »
Ginny here is the link to Episode 1 of Julius Caesar's Rome:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDQWe12RhJ4

Barry Strauss lecture: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucvqNtfxxbk His take on the Assassination of Caesar.

His book page on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Barry-Strauss/e/B0045ANWJM/ref=sr_tc_2_0?qid=1468433468&sr=1-2-ent  I never heard (that I remember) of this guy. Has anyone read any of his books?

David Magie's book, Roman Rule in Asia Minor is expensive. Guess I will see if I can get an ILL.

Frybabe

« Reply #916 on: July 18, 2016, 06:16:47 AM »
Cruising my science links this morning, I found this - volcano coming to life near Rome.  http://www.livescience.com/55397-extinct-rome-volcano-rumbles-to-life.html

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #917 on: July 18, 2016, 08:01:57 AM »
Thank you for those wonderful links, frybabe! I think that movie is one is one which had been recommended to me before, and i never could get the actual title straight to  find it,  so I look forward to seeing it!    And the Strauss lecture particularly.   But isn't that something about the volcano in Rome, looks like we've got another  1000 years!   Hopefully.   

Maryemm

« Reply #918 on: July 21, 2016, 11:24:55 AM »

Fashionable 2,000-Year-Old Roman Shoe Found in a Well

For some reason can't post image.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #919 on: July 21, 2016, 01:12:55 PM »
Thank you, Maryemm! (It has an html extension which means it's words, too, and that won't display) but wasn't that an interesting article! My  youngest son was helping me reset all my Latin posters (over 100) for my face to face classes and when we got to The Saalberg, in Germany,  which I had made from a photo,  he stopped and said what is that?

I went a couple of years ago, what an adventure that was, let me put a photo of the reconstructed fort on the very edge (the limes)  of the Roman Empire: It's magic, I am so glad you put that up as I was struggling to recall the name of the fort.