Author Topic: Classics Forum  (Read 352429 times)

JoanK

• BooksDL
Re: Classics Forum
« Reply #920 on: July 21, 2016, 05:59:16 PM »

The Classics Forum

Paestum

Paestum, a complex of Greek Temples in  Southern Italy.

Welcome to our Classics Forum, which is our public discussion for those interested in the Classics. Since our Latin Classes are not visible to the public but we have a great many people interested in talking about the Classics, we've put this discussion up for your interest.

Please share here news, clips, magazine or newspaper articles, movies or television shows and especially books  you find that would be of interest to those of us who love the classics world.

Everyone is welcome!

Congratulations to the Class of 2014 and their awesome results on the National Latin Exam! See post 654 below!

It's never too late to learn Latin!

Interested in learning more about our Latin Courses? Click here: Learn More About Our Latin Courses

I love the shoe. it's not dissimilar to the one I'm wearing now.

Maryemm

« Reply #921 on: July 25, 2016, 11:25:07 AM »
Ginny: You are a much-travelled lady! What a fascinating place that sounds.  Must be great to actually see it.

I had another look at the website and found this:

Watch the Destruction of Pompeii by Mount Vesuvius, Re-Created with Computer Animation (79 AD)

http://www.openculture.com/2016/02/watch-the-destruction-of-pompeii-by-mount-vesuvius-re-created-with-computer-animation-79-ad.html

Not for the faint-hearted!

Maryemm

« Reply #922 on: July 25, 2016, 11:26:48 AM »
A Facetious Fact!!

Not sure if you have this size in the US.......

Did you ever notice: The Roman
Numerals for forty (40) are 'XL'.

Dana

• ::
« Reply #923 on: July 26, 2016, 07:59:48 PM »
what a  nice Roman shoe!  One could wear it today I think.   Have been watching Theresa May's shoes with pleasure-not my style really but I love shoes, just sitting here now actually, breaking in a pair of fancy sandals....that means wearing them so I can see where to stick bits of bandaids or whatever....they are totally sleek but rather uncomfortable.....I wonder how comfortable these Roman shoes were...?!  What started me off with Theresa May really was a funny program I saw with Boris et al taking the p..s out of her shoes .  I think Boris is a scream, not very reliable but rather funny....I loved the press conference with Kerry where K. is being very serious as always and Boris is gently sending him up.  I don't think Kerry might even have noticed.

Maryemm

« Reply #924 on: July 28, 2016, 02:02:45 PM »
Yes, I fancied that shoe, Dana. I have small feet and my size is difficult to find. I used to have shoes made for me in the Fifties and Sixties but no longer! Guess the Romans didn't have shoe shops as such but custom-made shoes. Nice!

Theresa May dresses well, I think, and I love the way she adds a quirky pair of shoes. They will be her "signature", I reckon.

Boris is cleverer than people think. He likes to give a false impression but I feel people will have to watch him.

Tomereader1

« Reply #925 on: July 28, 2016, 02:09:37 PM »
Maryemm, I'm so glad to know there is someone else who has small feet, and has a hard time buying shoes!  For years I was a 4 1/2, since I have gained a few pounds, I can sometimes wear a 5 depending on the make of the shoe.  I usually have to buy my sneakers in the boys department!  I can get a correct fit at the SAS stores, for walkers, sneakers, and unstylish wedge type shoes.  I have a pair of those wedges that I have had for about 10 or more years.  (I only wear them with my dress slacks or skirt outfits).  They serve their purpose nicely. 
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #926 on: July 29, 2016, 10:55:13 AM »
It's a problem at the other end of sizes too.  When I was young, I was size 9AAAA.  The stores would often only get in one pair in my size, usually too wide.  Fortunately my feet have spread, and it's easier now, but still most shoes aren't comfortable.

Maryemm

« Reply #927 on: July 31, 2016, 02:29:14 PM »
Apologies, but I'm glad I'm not the only one with shoe problems!! I take a size 35 which is a 4.5/5 US size, I think.

Since the metric system came into being shoes seem to have become a little bit bigger. My Other half laughs at me when I say that but he gets fed up when I am out looking for shoes as it's so frustrating. He stands by the door ready to leave!

I love Flyflot shoes . I saw these on the shopping channel (!!) and sent away for a pair. They are so comfortable. Drawback? They spoil you for other shoes. I used to wear high heels and still have one or two pairs but I no longer shop in them. I can walk quite a long way in Flyflots.

I always wanted  a pair of Chanel two-tone sling back court shoes. Never managed to get a pair! I wonder why?

Tomereader1

« Reply #928 on: August 01, 2016, 12:17:07 PM »
Subject: Fwd: In 1850, A Farmer Found A Secret Door In The Sand. What HeSaw On The Other Side? Fascinating!

In 1850, A Farmer Found A Secret Door In The Sand. What He Saw On The Other Side? Fascinating!

History can a bit dry and boring at times.

It seems to exist solely between the musty pages of old books.
But once in awhile, you come across a bit of history that appears to come alive the moment you discover it.

That’s how I felt when I heard about this place.

In a small bay in Scotland, a well-kept secret is hidden among the green hills.

At first glance, it might not seem particularly impressive, but step inside and you’ll be amazed at what you see.

Thousands of years ago, it was a bustling society.

But time and weather buried it under the sand.
For millennia, no one knew that this place ever existed, but when a terrible storm swept over the Orkney Islands in 1850,

an incredible secret was revealed…

Nestled in the mossy, green hills on the Orkney Islands off Scotland is a secret older than the great pyramids of Egypt.

At first, it might not look like much, but the fact is, this is a unique and magical place.

Because within this rolling hillside is a perfectly preserved prehistoric village called Skara Brae.

The winter of 1850 hit Orkney hard. A severe storm caused great devastation and resulted in more than 200 deaths.
But it also revealed something long forgotten. When the storm abated, villagers discovered a settlement under the sand.

The settlement consists of eight stone houses and was inhabited between roughly 3180 and 2500 B.C., making Skara Brae one of the oldest agriculture villages in the UK.

Skara Brae has been called the “Scottish Pompeii” because the ancient monument is so well preserved.
Since the surrounding sand and the buildings’ architecture were well protected against the cold, both the buildings and their contents have been remarkably preserved throughout the millennia.

Archaeologists estimate that 50-100 people lived in the village. When the settlement was built, the houses were 1,500 meters from the sea.
Now, the sea has dug closer to the village and the view from the settlement has changed from pastures to the sea.

The settlement’s seven or eight houses were connected to each other by tunnels.
Each residence could be closed off with a stone door.

In every room, one bed was always bigger than the other, but no one knows why.
Each room also contains cabinets, dressers, seats, and storage boxes.
These boxes were built to be waterproof, suggesting that they might have stored live seafood for later consumption.

One house is distinct from the other, however.
Archaeologists didn’t find any beds or other furniture. The house is believed to have functioned as a workshop.

Amazingly, the village also had a sewage system and each house had its own toilet.

Skara Brae was a society which centered around families.
The dwellings are all quite similar, which led archaeologists to conclude that this society was a fairly equal one, without any authoritative leadership.

Some believe that the villagers were Picts, a people of unknown origin who settled in eastern and northern Scotland near the end of the British Iron Age.
But archaeological findings have shown that the people who lived here could have lived been much earlier than that.

A number of mysterious discoveries have been made at the site, including this carved stone ball, though no one really knows what it was used for.

And no one knows why the village was abandoned. But around 2500 B.C., the Orkney Islands became cooler and wetter.
Many theories speculate about how the people of Skara Brae met their fate; the most popular ones involve a violent storm.

What’s the future look like for Skara Brae?
Although the settlement was built nearly two kilometres from the beach, in recent centuries, it has been increasingly threatened by the sea.
Since 1926, the houses have been protected from the approaching sea and harsh autumn winds by a concrete wall.

There has been talk about building an artificial beach with boulders and breakwater to preserve Skara Brae and several other ancient monuments at risk of being destroyed.
But nothing has happened yet. Until further notice, tourists continue to visit this fascinating place, but the question is for how long?

I personally hope that the Scottish Government will do all they can to preserve this amazing place.

Please share this with others so that more people get the chance to discover the wonder that is history!

----- End forwarded message -----

The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Tomereader1

« Reply #929 on: August 01, 2016, 12:20:42 PM »
There were color pictures of this at the bottom of this message, but I'm afraid I'm not skilled enough to know how to send them along with the text.  I tried copy/paste, but that did not seem to work.  There was no link with the email message I received, so I couldn't do that.  Maybe if we put "Skara Brae" into a search engine, we might get the pics.  If you know how I could get the photos into a regular post here, please let me know.  (sorry about all the blank space, but that's where the pictures should have been).

André Maurois

Frybabe

« Reply #930 on: August 01, 2016, 12:51:50 PM »
Is this it Tome? I've heard of it. I think I saw a TV program about it once, but long ago.
http://www.ancient.eu/Skara_Brae/

Here is another website which includes other, similar Orkney archaeological finds.
http://www.orkney.com/about/history/archaeology

Tomereader1

« Reply #931 on: August 01, 2016, 01:06:29 PM »
It was the one about Skara Brae, but I liked the other one also.  Your link had much more content than just the pictures I had received.  Thank you so much!

André Maurois

Maryemm

« Reply #932 on: August 02, 2016, 11:20:02 AM »

Tomereader1

« Reply #933 on: August 02, 2016, 11:26:34 AM »
thank you, Maryemm!

A wondrous thing history!

André Maurois

Maryemm

« Reply #934 on: August 24, 2016, 03:16:35 PM »
Roman goddess unearthed at South Shields culture spot

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #935 on: August 24, 2016, 08:04:27 PM »
Alas, tthe years have not been kind to Ceres in this statue.  That's really interesting.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #936 on: August 24, 2016, 08:27:41 PM »
Any of you nearby to Washington, DC might be interested in this exhibition at the National Geographic Society: The Greeks--Agamemnon to Alexander the Great, here until Oct. 10.  Unfortunately, their website is only concerned with selling tickets, and doesn't tell you much about what you'll actually see.  Here's the link to their description:

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/thegreeks/

and here's what they said in case you have problems:

About the Exhibition
This summer, National Geographic will bring an extraordinary cultural experience to Washington, D.C. THE GREEKS: Agamemnon to Alexander the Great is an exceptional journey through 5,000 years of Greek history and culture. This exhibition features more than 500 priceless treasures—many of which have never been on display outside of Greece. Washington, D.C. is the only east coast museum to host the exhibit.

Featuring collections from 22 national museums in Greece, THE GREEKS tells the unique story of one of the world’s greatest ancient civilizations. Visitors will encounter the early origins of Greek writing and art from the Cycladic and Minoan cultures of the Aegean, meet the Mycenaean rulers and priestesses, the warriors of Sparta, the heroes, athletes and philosophers of Classical Greece and Alexander, the king that would spread Greek culture throughout the world—giving rise to civilization as we know it. The exhibition explores pivotal moments that led to the birth of Western democracy, modern art, science, medicine, theater and sports.

In addition to this blockbuster exhibit, join National Geographic this summer as we host events celebrating all things Greek—talks, tastings, tours and toga parties, this event lineup is not-to-be-missed!

I read elsewhere that it includes statues from the Acropolis, stone figurines from the Cyclopadic islands, and gold funerary masks from Mycenae.

Frybabe

« Reply #937 on: September 07, 2016, 07:52:39 AM »
I just ran across a history textbook that looks interesting and easy to read. It is The Historians of Ancient Rome: An Anthology of the Major Writings (Routledge Sourcebooks for the Ancient World) 3rd Edition by Ronald Mellor (Editor). Has anyone seen this? I may try to pick up a used copy from somewhere.

It appears that Mr. Mellor has written a number of books mostly about Ancient Romans and Rome, but there is at least one that focuses on Greece. Strange, I don't think I've ever run across him before.

mabel1015j

« Reply #938 on: September 22, 2016, 04:45:57 PM »
In my women's blogs this morning I read something I thought was fun and interesting and thought you might too.

What did they eay in the first century?

http://www.prismbookalliance.com/2015/06/faith-l-justice-on-sword-of-the-gladiatrix-blog-tour-excerpt-guest-blog-rafflecopter-giveaway/

Jean

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #939 on: September 27, 2016, 05:09:49 PM »
Interesting!

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #942 on: October 02, 2016, 03:40:41 PM »
Maybe the Romans played football?

Frybabe

« Reply #943 on: October 02, 2016, 04:06:06 PM »
Not a football fan. I found the belt and its skeleton interesting.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #944 on: October 02, 2016, 04:18:33 PM »
Wouldn't be surprised if the Romans had some game similar to football (soccer). Or maybe not. All the sports we hear of them doing are individual sports. Maybe they weren't into teamwork.

What do you think, Ginny?

Off to watch (American) football!

Frybabe

« Reply #945 on: October 03, 2016, 05:30:51 AM »
Here is an article about some of the ball games the Romans played (including the ladies).
http://www.aerobiologicalengineering.com/wxk116/Roman/BallGames/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harpastum

Maryemm

« Reply #946 on: October 03, 2016, 07:36:54 AM »

frybabe: I dislike football and think it's given far too much importance in the UK.

Found the website interesting:

QUOTE:  The Romans enjoyed a variety of ball games, including Handball (Expulsim Ludere), Trigon, Soccer, Field Hockey, Harpasta, Phaininda, Episkyros, and certainly Catch and other games that children might invent. UNQUOTE

Guess there's nothing new under the sun ( nihil novi sub sole ). Gladiator sandals were still fashionable this Summer.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #947 on: October 03, 2016, 04:52:25 PM »
Who knew! The pictures show them barefoot or naked, but I doubt that's true.

Frybabe

« Reply #948 on: October 03, 2016, 05:12:06 PM »
The Greeks went naked for their Olympic games, and I suppose, for working out. The Romans were usually a little more modest, but they did emulate or admire the Greek arts and games.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #949 on: October 04, 2016, 04:41:30 PM »
And it's hot enough in Rome to get away with it!? (Wouldn't want to see skiers going naked).

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #950 on: October 04, 2016, 06:02:09 PM »
Well the Olympics were naked but women could not be in the audience. I'm afraid I'm not an expert on Roman sports but   Albert E Warsley is, and he says

"Roman boys and men had quite a variety of sports in which to participate and by which to keep in physical trim, as polo, falconry, archery, wrestling, boxing, racing on foot or in boats or on horses, javelin throwing, discus throwing, rowing, swimming, hunting,  fishing, and bowling."

"Besides the games generally enjoyed by Roman children, as they became a little older, they also  played a number of games in which some sort of ball was involved, as harpastum or harpitrum, which was a ball stuffed with tufts of wool and about the size  and shape of our football, made of leather, paganica, which was a ball slightly larger than our baseball but stuffed with feathers, trigon, which was a ball stuffed with hair, harder than the paganica and of the size of our baseball."

He doesn't say what they did with those balls. :)

Mkaren557

• BooksDL
« Reply #951 on: October 05, 2016, 12:49:10 PM »
Just read in Ritchies Easy Fables that Perseus was in a Discus competition and threw the discus into the onlookers and killed his grandfather.  Thus he fulfilled the prediction of the oracle.  No man can escape his fate.

Maryemm

« Reply #952 on: October 05, 2016, 03:30:23 PM »
I wonder if they used pigs' bladders as balls. I recall playing with such an item ; lasts much monger than a  balloon!
My great grandmother used to store ice in one I was told (HOW?)

Maryemm

« Reply #953 on: November 21, 2016, 03:28:49 PM »

Archaeological remains discovered that shed new light on Roman Whitchurch

The sole of a Roman child’s hobnail shoe that was found on site

Read all about it at:

http://shropshire.gov.uk/news/2016/11/archaeological-remains-discovered-that-shed-new-light-on-roman-whitchurch/

Maryemm

« Reply #954 on: November 21, 2016, 03:35:11 PM »

Frybabe

« Reply #955 on: November 21, 2016, 04:54:00 PM »
A collector's item for sure. I used to love playing Monopoly.

Frybabe

« Reply #956 on: November 22, 2016, 03:02:12 PM »
I've been watching these short programs, off and on for a while now, via YouTube. Little mini history lessons. The latest I saw was called "Nobody's Year: CHAOS (57 B.C.E.)

Historia Civilis  https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=historia+civilis

Maryemm

« Reply #957 on: November 30, 2016, 03:41:25 PM »
Frybabe: I was going to spend five minutes checking out the YouTube videos and I have been there nearly 30 minutes.!

As you say, Mini History lessons. Thanks.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #958 on: November 30, 2016, 07:21:07 PM »
Those are interesting. I like the subject  matter and thought they might be fun  for our classes until  i watched one . It's  a shame he can't pronounce many of the names and words, which makes you wonder. I don't know who he is ..... does he give any background? I thought his conclusions, as he is very careful to say,  his personal conclusions on Caesar and the Helvetains were  spurious, and  I'm a little concerned about his pronunciation of Labienus  and Helvetains, but I've  only seen the first part of one.   

Frybabe

« Reply #959 on: December 01, 2016, 08:16:09 AM »
I am guessing this guy is not the only one to mispronounce Latin, including me. He is a bit "flip" with some of his remarks. I noticed a few times his opinion of the person involved or the actions taken, but I didn't take particular offense, well, maybe a huff or snort at them. I sincerely hope that his artwork shows a fairly accurate account of the battle formations and actions. I did think that the one about Caesar and the Helvetians was missing something regarding the final resolution of the problem. Unfortunately, I don't see a name with the clips and on Google search cannot find any name except Historia Civilis. The best I can find is that the clips are sponsored on a crowd-funding site called Patreon.