Author Topic: Classics Forum  (Read 217172 times)

Maryemm

• :
Re: Classics Forum
« Reply #960 on: December 02, 2016, 11:18:42 AM »
Oh dear! That means I wasted 30 minutes of my life!   :O(

Maryemm

• :
« Reply #961 on: December 23, 2016, 05:44:22 AM »

Restoring a Roman Villa to its former glory
Butser Roman Villa

Butser Ancient Farm will shortly be receiving a £25,000 grant from East Hampshire District Council (EHDC) to fund the restoration of its Roman villa.

The project will enable the villa to be restored to its former glory, giving the building its first major revamp since it was completed for TV documentary ‘Rebuilding the Past’ in 2003.

The work will include raising parts of the ceiling, redecorating the walls and levelling the compacted earth floor.

Throughout the restoration, builders will be teaching Butser staff and volunteers a range of traditional skills to ensure they can continue to maintain the site themselves, and conduct new and exciting workshops for members of the public.

The villa is based on original excavations of a Roman villa at Sparsholt, near Winchester, and every year more than 30,000 schoolchildren and 7,000 members of public visit the farm.

Once restored, the villa will also be fully accessible to disabled visitors.

Councillor Julie Butler, EHDC’s Portfolio Holder for Customer Service, said: “The farm and Roman villa are amazing resources that we are lucky to have in the district.

“With so many school groups visiting the site each year, it is crucial for us to protect it. The restoration project will ensure it can continue to be used for many years to come.

“Furthermore, there is a great volunteer workforce of over 150 individuals, and the training being offered will greatly expand their knowledge base, enriching visitor experience for everyone.”

Maureen Page, one of the directors at Butser Ancient Farm, is delighted with the news: “It’s amazing to have this grant because it will enable us to carry out work on the villa that we were struggling to find the money for.

“Renovating the villa will pave the way for other exciting projects such as laying floor mosaics, creating fresco paintings on the walls, and designing a beautiful Roman garden.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maryemm

• :
« Reply #962 on: December 23, 2016, 05:48:53 AM »

ginny

• Administrator
  • A day without Latin is like a day without sunshine
« Reply #963 on: December 23, 2016, 07:45:40 AM »
Thank you for that news of Butser, Maryemm, and the lovely Christmas greetings!

I've never made it out to Butser but have used their illustrations for years.

A very Happy Christmas to you all!

Frybabe

« Reply #964 on: December 30, 2016, 04:44:55 PM »
A little while ago, it dawned on me that I haven't been keeping up with the research on the scrolls found in Herculaneum. This is getting close to a year old, but I missed it. They discovered that the Romans were using metallic inks, pushing the date of use back several hundred years earlier than thought. https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/mar/21/herculaneum-scrolls-buried-by-vesuvius-yield-another-secret-metallic-ink 

Frybabe

« Reply #965 on: January 21, 2017, 06:13:09 AM »
I just finished watching this recent Penn Museum presentation of various archeological discoveries in Turkey. I was most interested in the sarcophagus showing the son of Achilles sacrificing the daughter of Priam at the end of the Trojan War and the mosaics found at Ephesus. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF8vjpc1oQk

Maryemm

• :
« Reply #966 on: February 21, 2017, 09:56:24 AM »

Frybabe

« Reply #967 on: March 10, 2017, 08:51:54 AM »
MaryEmm, I am just going to have to find me a map of all the Roman villa, fort and road finds in the UK. There must be one somewhere.

Anyone interested in Julius Caesar may be interested to know that the publisher, Simon & Shuster, has put Barry Strauss's The Death of Caesar on sale (in the US) in a bunch of different formats. I am loath to buy such a book in electronic form, but I am running out of bookshelf room and the price is too good to pass up right now. I can't get a very good used book for any where near that price.

Frybabe

« Reply #968 on: March 31, 2017, 07:02:08 AM »
I have been watching some of those HD travel videos on YouTube lately. This morning I found this video featuring Volubilis in Morocco, which is a World Heritage Site. There is no narrative with the video, just nice soothing music (which is why I like watching this videographer's work). When watching, you might see several storks hanging out on the ruins. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX17XGkZRuM Here is another interesting video with narrative https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtiYH6VLTc4

Here is Wikipedia's history of Volubilis: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volubilis

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #969 on: March 31, 2017, 09:37:40 PM »
That's incredible, Mary!  Thank you for putting that here.

I watched that whole thing, Frybabe, it's wonderful. Makes me want to pack a bag and go see it. Those gorgeous mosaics exposed to the elements for 1700 years still bright. Amazing. (The narrative I got was very enlightening, actually).

Maryemm

• :
« Reply #970 on: April 27, 2017, 03:16:31 PM »

'Significant' Roman finds made in St Albans

Read all about it here at:

Maryemm

• :
« Reply #971 on: April 27, 2017, 03:24:24 PM »

Stretch of Roman road unveiled beneath McDonald's restaurant

Read all about it here at:

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #972 on: April 27, 2017, 03:54:41 PM »
Wow wow wow!!  I'm going to have to see that one in Italy! THANK you! And St. Albans, too. It's just amazing how MANY things are being found every day!

Frybabe

« Reply #973 on: April 27, 2017, 04:01:15 PM »
Isn't that something, though! Dead people and all.