Author Topic: Classics Forum  (Read 352235 times)

Frybabe

Re: Classics Forum
« Reply #840 on: February 20, 2016, 02:51:47 PM »

The Classics Forum

Paestum

Paestum, a complex of Greek Temples in  Southern Italy.

Welcome to our Classics Forum, which is our public discussion for those interested in the Classics. Since our Latin Classes are not visible to the public but we have a great many people interested in talking about the Classics, we've put this discussion up for your interest.

Please share here news, clips, magazine or newspaper articles, movies or television shows and especially books  you find that would be of interest to those of us who love the classics world.

Everyone is welcome!

Congratulations to the Class of 2014 and their awesome results on the National Latin Exam! See post 654 below!

It's never too late to learn Latin!

Interested in learning more about our Latin Courses? Click here: Learn More About Our Latin Courses

Talk of Umberto Eco's death reminded me of his Fouault's Pendulum , which I couldn't get through. While looking up the original (in Paris) I also discovered many others, some very fancy. This one, though, includes a Latin inscription. Can you read it? It is from line 284 of book 3 of Virgil's Georgics, but the words are rearranged slightly.

http://miamioh.edu/news/top-stories/2015/08/pendulum.html

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #841 on: February 20, 2016, 06:30:40 PM »
There is also one at the University of Maryland.  as it goes so you can see the way it varies by the sand pattern it leaves.

Frybabe

« Reply #842 on: February 20, 2016, 06:56:43 PM »
The only one I ever remember seeing in person is the one at the Smithsonian. The original one, in Paris I believe,is pretty utilitarian looking,but some are real works of art. The pendulum at Miami is such. It looks a little lonesome and out of place where they put it.

Maryemm

« Reply #843 on: February 23, 2016, 02:33:41 PM »
Frybabe: I don't usually read comments as they so often deteriorate into slanging matches. However I had a quick look and, like your good self, had a laugh at some of them.

The "soggy chips wet fish, and hairy locals" struck home. As we were late home this morning we had some fish and chips from the local chippie for our lunch.  It was excellent fare: crisp chips, with delicious cod in batter and, I'm glad to say that though we are local, we are not hairy!!

Ginny: We found Victorian ink bottles in the garden when we first moved to our present home. No Roman remains, alas. However The Duke of Monmouth may have crossed the heath around our home as he was found hiding in a ditch not that far from us. (in 1685).

Have to say I was thrilled to learn that the Romans did come nearer to my family home in Wales that I had previously thought.( Formerly Silures territory!!)

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #844 on: February 23, 2016, 04:42:47 PM »
I envy you Brits, living with so many millennia of written history.

Frybabe

« Reply #845 on: February 23, 2016, 05:13:09 PM »
Just got SPQR by Mary Beard. I was surprised to get it so soon because there was a long hold list. Super, I have on ebook on hold that should be ready in a day or two, and one of two books that I put on hold at the library is in (the other should be ready by Friday).

Anyhow, I can tell already that I am going to have to spend the bucks and order SPQR for my personal library. What a wonderful writer she is. Also, she starts with Cicero and the Cataline Conspiracy. I have First Oration of Cicero Against Catiline by John Henerson which is a in Latin but with Notes and a complete vocabulary. Oddly, it appears to have only the first chapter intact. Also, in my ebook library is De Bello Catilinario et Jurgthino by Caius Sallustii Crispi also in Latin with plenty of notes. I haven't attempted to read either one of them yet.

Maryemm

« Reply #846 on: February 27, 2016, 11:43:16 AM »
SPQR: My next buy!!

Mary Beard was writing about her grey hair the other day. She was criticised viciously when she presented some programmes on TV . Posters said she looked "like a witch" etc. Made me so angry!

Anyway I expected her to write about grey hair (?) in Roman times so was surprised to find it was nothing of the sort. You have been warned!

See: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3463108/Vanity-ISN-T-blame-addiction-hair-dye-insists-TV-historian-Mary-Beard-says-women-victims-great-grey-hair-conspiracy.html

Before I retired, 26 years ago, colleagues used to ask if I dyed my hair. I didn't, and I still don't. It is still my original mouse colour I don't know whether to be glad, or sad. I like grey/white hair!

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #847 on: February 27, 2016, 11:53:31 AM »
First off, you'd love S.P.Q.R. I hated to see it end and am forever grateful to her for writing it.

Secondly, I love Mary Beard and anything she says and does about classics. She has set out to debunk the myths about classics with scholarship and facts, not only of the ancient world but classics issues today. I don't agree with some of her political stances, but that's probably because unfortunately  I don't know enough, I don't know  as much as she does about some British  issues (like the Rhodes one),  and so I don't have any basis for argument.  Or opinion, for that matter. She says, in her blogs sometimes,  the most breathtaking things  about classics and sometimes they go totally unnoticed.  She says things nobody else does   and I tremendously admire her for it.

On hair,  since my own is its natural color, I think it's the most flattering to your own color. I think people resent the length of her hair, I think that's the actual complaint, nobody is complaining about Helen Mirren shown in the article,  and I say it's your hair, do what you want with it.

Mary Beard for President! I'd vote for her. :)

Maryemm

« Reply #849 on: March 05, 2016, 11:02:03 AM »
The other evening my husband and I watched the above programme: Pompeii New Secrets Revealed with Professor Mary Beard. It was utterly fascinating, She brought the whole place to life.

I am not sure if you will be able to access the following. Doubt it, but here's the link anyway. It's well worth watching!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b072nxtm/pompeii-new-secrets-revealed-with-mary-beard

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #850 on: March 05, 2016, 11:23:16 AM »
Thank you Mary, we CAN, on youtube, while it lasts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAv_U_YkjLI

And it should not be missed!

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #851 on: March 05, 2016, 05:42:57 PM »
That was absolutely amazing! Thank you.

Maryemm

« Reply #852 on: March 11, 2016, 07:33:45 AM »

I see the link has now been removed, Ginny. Didn't know about it and thought I'd check it out.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #853 on: March 11, 2016, 09:06:39 AM »
So glad you liked it, JoanK!

Mary: The one on youtube? That one has been removed somebody has put up a new one which is strange, it appears to show a laptop and the movie is playing on the laptop. I'd wait until somebody else puts it up but you have to pounce on them when they do as they will be removed.

I don't believe that people in the UK are able to view it.

I'm sure we'd much rather all buy it in DVD so we can have good quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnOnbbAy6e8

Dana

• ::
« Reply #854 on: March 12, 2016, 12:01:41 PM »
Here in S Carolina a young chap just got thrown out of the American Idol contest.  I think he got down to 6th or something.  Anyway when he got home he said to the local paper,"First thing I'm looking forward to is to lay down on my bed.  Hotel beds are comfortable but I miss my bed so much."

That made me laugh and reminded my of my favourite piece of Catullus in a poem written when he came home from Bithynia where he had been for a while.

O quid solutis est beatius curis,
cum mens onus reponit, ac peregrino
labore fessi venimus larem ad nostrum,
desideratoque acquiescimus lecto?
Hoc est quod unum est pro laboribus tantis.

Oh what with cares cast off is more blessed,
when the mind puts to rest its burden,and
tired with foreign labour we come to our household gods
and rest on our longed for bed?
This thing is what is the only thing for such labours.

That's a lovely satisfying last line in Latin I think.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #855 on: March 12, 2016, 03:58:49 PM »
DANA: that's great.

Maryemm

« Reply #857 on: March 13, 2016, 01:27:28 PM »

Dana: I read your post after nodding here in front of my PC and waking up with a stiff neck!

(The cat who spends her time with me here looks much more comfortable on the floor.)

Frybabe

« Reply #858 on: March 14, 2016, 06:06:57 AM »
MaryEmm, your link didn't work for me, but I did find the book on Amazon. Pricey little bugger isn't it! I am reading the excerpt now.

Maryemm

« Reply #859 on: March 15, 2016, 10:44:25 AM »
Frybabe: How odd! It works for me. Won't let me copy and paste, though.

Frybabe

« Reply #860 on: March 15, 2016, 05:02:54 PM »
I know, MaryEmm. Now you mention it, I've been on the Amazon UK site before without problems.

Frybabe

« Reply #861 on: March 28, 2016, 12:44:55 PM »
My sister is wondering if anyone knows of any online hieroglyphics classes, preferably free or inexpensive.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #862 on: April 04, 2016, 05:22:38 PM »
Everyone who reads Homer remembers his description of the "wine dark sea." Now a scientist claims that he wrote that because people of his time could not see the color "blue."

It seems many languages are late in adding a word for "blue" to their language. At first, there are only words for black and white. Then red is added. Then green and orange. Blue is added last.

A study was done in a tribe that had no word for blue in their language. They either couldn't distinguish it from green, or had great trouble.

Frybabe

« Reply #863 on: April 05, 2016, 07:23:49 AM »
I am remember reading an article (Scientific American, probably, or an early Smithsonian) about color perception in different groups of people, but I am not sure whether it included early peoples. The other one I read that definitely was about early peoples and vision had to do with depth perception, a big boon to hunting societies.

This all reminds me of the bicameral mind argument and the origins of consciousness. Julian Jaynes used Homer as an example in his argument for a bicameral mind before around 3000 years ago. Basically, Jaynes argued that early peoples did not have a sense of self, believing that the thoughts they heard in their heads from an outside force (god, spirit) rather than themselves. It is a bit controversial, but his theory seems to have stimulated and provided some insight into the study of consciousness and such abnormal thinking processes such as happens in schizophrenia among other disorders.

So, could such a theory explain or help to explain why early peoples did not "see" or recognize colors? I think, like many other things, this is evolution in action. But which came first or did they develop on concert with each o ther, the visual mechanism and the brain development needed to process the information?

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #864 on: April 05, 2016, 04:37:47 PM »
That's very interesting.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #865 on: April 05, 2016, 08:47:18 PM »
My sister is wondering if anyone knows of any online hieroglyphics classes, preferably free or inexpensive.

Frybabe, there's a list of online resources that was posted in 2013 at http://archaeologyoftombraider.com/2013/03/11/10-fantastic-free-resources-for-learning-egyptian-hieroglyphs/

Maryemm

« Reply #866 on: April 17, 2016, 07:48:36 AM »

Frybabe

« Reply #867 on: April 17, 2016, 08:26:45 AM »
That's amazing, Maryemm.

I am not sure how I would feel if something like that happened to me. One the one hand, I would be so excited and mighty curious to the point of helping out and learning more, on the other, all the people, the digging, and especially the severe limitations that would put on what I could do with my property would put me in a funk. I wonder what will happen to their home considering that it is built right on top of the central part of the villa.

Maryemm

« Reply #868 on: April 17, 2016, 11:40:43 AM »
I think excitement would win the day for me! Nephew is an archaeologist so he would be put in charge and I would be there supervising (!!! Ha Ha)

Sad there are no ghosts though if place was devastated by Boudicca perhaps it is just as well.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #869 on: April 28, 2016, 09:36:07 AM »

News You can Use:

The results are in for the National Latin Exam and this year all 15 of our students who took the exam received awards!!

This is either our 6th or 7th year, I've lost count, of accomplishment on the NLE and it's a wonderful tribute to all of our students, those who took the test and those who didn't, for their commitment to lifelong learning and achievement.

I'd like to recognize those who won honors this year:

Bill J, DNix, Carola, Tom, Xine, Vorenus, Eladnova, Halcyon, Hysteria2, Sue C, BeckiC, Ethannah, Venia, Karen, and Brook!

Congratulations, we are very proud of you all!
Hooray!!

:)

Maryemm

« Reply #870 on: April 30, 2016, 11:08:21 AM »

CONGRATULATIONS: Bill J, DNix, Carola, Tom, Xine, Vorenus, Eladnova, Halcyon, Hysteria2, Sue C, BeckiC, Ethannah, Venia, Karen, and Brook!

and to

GINNY

on such great results.

Maryemm

« Reply #871 on: April 30, 2016, 11:12:14 AM »

Frybabe

« Reply #872 on: April 30, 2016, 04:51:11 PM »
That is terribly interesting, MaryEmm. I noticed first, that they are listed as "unused" coins, and second that one of the coins are "silver-coated". So, I wonder first, where these coins near or at a coin making facility? And Second, just when did coinmakers start making silver coated rather than all silver coins for official use rather than counterfeit?

I watched several Mary Beard programs last night on my new SmartTV which includes YouTube. I love YouTube.

Frybabe

« Reply #873 on: May 05, 2016, 09:20:05 AM »
Another find in Turkey, this one a tablet with the rules for horse racing.
http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-36186530

Maryemm

« Reply #874 on: May 12, 2016, 10:47:03 AM »
Interesting questions regarding the coins, Frybabe.

Watched Professor Mary Beard last night talking about what it meant to be a Roman citizen. Really interesting.

Wonder if you can view the following:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b07bkn8x/mary-beards-ultimate-rome-empire-without-limit-episode-3

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #875 on: May 13, 2016, 04:49:27 AM »
Yes, that was interesting, wasn't  it, Mary?  I particulsrly envy her in Timgad, long on my Bucket List, abd apparently it will need to stay thete, due to the political situation.        Although those in the United States cannot view that player, all three of her episodes are now showing on YouTube and that is just a spectacular series! One more to go next Wednesday! 

Thank  you for mentioning it!   Nobody should miss it.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #876 on: May 16, 2016, 03:43:09 PM »
My computer said it could be viewed in the UK only. How did you get it, GINNY.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #877 on: May 16, 2016, 03:57:44 PM »
People copy  it and  put it on youtube where it is now, all 3 of the first episodes and they really are good. I'd watch it while I could although there are so MANY copies now that should not be an issue. They are allowing it to remain for some reason.  There are several of hers to choose from, the new one Mary  Beard's Ultimate Rome, (3 episodes so far, one more this Wednesday in the UK, probably appearing Thursday or Friday on youtube),  her old one, Meet the Romans, her lecture on her book S.P.Q.R., and her Caligula as well as others I can't recall.

Frybabe

« Reply #878 on: May 16, 2016, 06:11:46 PM »
What really got my attention was the an example of Roman lower case letters she showed us at Timgad. I was surprised to see it, thinking that lower case was developed much later. As best as I can tell, it was not all that common until the 3rd century and was mostly used for informal writing. The change from all caps to caps and lower case was gradual. Do I have that basically right Ginny?

Frybabe

« Reply #879 on: May 16, 2016, 06:17:30 PM »
Ginny, I've got Jerry Toner's translation of The Roman Guide to Slave Management: A Treatise by Nobleman Marcus Sidonius Falx on order from the library. I should get it on Thursday. Mary Beard wrote the forward, I believe.