Archives & Readers' Guides > Archives of Book Discussions

Two Old Women ~ November Book Club Online. Starting Nov. 14 on entire book

(1/23) > >>

BooksAdmin:
The Book Club Online is the oldest  book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and  enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  Everyone is welcome.

Starting Monday, November 14

November Book Club Online
Two Old Women by Velma Wallis

Based on an Athabascan Indian legend passed along for many generations from mothers to daughters of the upper Yukon River Valley in Alaska, this is the suspenseful, shocking, ultimately inspirational tale of two old women abandoned by their tribe during a brutal winter famine.

We are talking about the whole book (it's a short one) so please read as much as you want as we discuss.
Link: The Athabascans Today
QUESTIONS TO CONSIDER:
How do the various people respond to the decision to leave the two old women?

How are the characters and dispositions of  Sa‟ and Ch‟idzigyaak described?

How do Sa‟ and Ch‟idzigyaak respond to what is happening to them

What do Sa‟ and Ch‟idzigyaak do to survive?

How do their attitudes change?

What are some details of the story that especially strike you?

What do you think are some of the turning points in the story?

What are some phrases from the story that are meaningful for you?

Discussion Leaders: marcie, Ann, PatH, Barb

marcie:
Welcome to our discussion of this interesting book. It's based on an old Athabascan Indian legend but it contains many elements that can provide us with insights into our current lives. We hope that you'll join us starting November 14.

Kristen:
I have a question about this book club.  I am a student in one of the Latin classes and noticed this club.  Do I need to sign up for this or do people just read and post?  I've checked out a copy of the book from the library and have started reading but I'm not sure just how the book club works. 
Thanks,

PatH:
  Welcome, Kristin.  You're in it just by posting here that you're going to be in.  We'll start talking about the book on the 14th.

BarbStAubrey:
Wow the site is open - Thanks Marcie and PatH is here - Great - Welcome Kristin looking forward to your sharing your thoughts with us...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version