Author Topic: Returning to Senior Learn  (Read 2848 times)

Robby

Returning to Senior Learn
« on: November 10, 2016, 02:26:45 PM »
I am back here on Senior Learn after having been away practicing as a clinical psychologist.  I have just retired and ready to be active here.  While over my lifetime I have read fiction, I am primarily a non-fiction reader.  Some of these books have been books assigned to me as I went for a degree but by far the majority of them have been for my own enjoyment.  I almost always read with a pen nearby to underline statements of special interest and this, of course, drive nuts people who borrow any books from me.

Tomereader1

Re: Returning to Senior Learn
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 04:37:33 PM »
So Glad You're Back, Robby!
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 07:46:23 PM »
Yes, Robby, welcome back and welcome home!  When can we ask you to lead a discussion?  Soon, I hope😊😊😊!
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

Robby

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 09:54:56 AM »
As you know, I spent years as discussion leader for Story of Civilization.  That took years being knowledgeable about how to create links and all those other techniques.  I have forgotten almost all of them but give me time and I will get back into the swing.  I intend to be very active in Senior Learn but please be patient with me.  I am now 96 years old and don't have the vim and vigor I once had.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 10:02:36 AM »
You sound vim and vigor to me!😃
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

marjifay

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 01:39:24 AM »
Welcome back, Robby!  So nice to see you again.  (I remember you sent me several books when you cleaned out your library, and I really appreciated them.  Wonderful that you are still working at something you seem yo enjoy.  I am now 84 years of age  and would love to make it to many more years.  I have been away for quite a spell and have really missed this group.  I was in an automobile accident November 22, 2016.  My son and I were returnining home  from Los Angeles about 10 pm;  the car in front of us stopped suddenly with no warning and  we crashed into it

I still have nightmares of waking up when we crashed, seeing the cracked windshield, and realizing what had happened along with severe pain in my chest, due to,  as I found out later, seven broken ribs caused by my seat belt. From the hospital I went to a rest home for physical therapy and finally got home in February this year with all my broken bones  m my knee and two arms healed.  The only good thing about all this was that I had no appetite and ate very little, losing weight from 160 lbs. or so down to 119 lb. when I got home. (Not recommended though.)
   Marge
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2017, 09:41:35 AM »
My goodness, Marjifay, you have really been through a mess. So glad to see you back with us. It's been a almost a year!!! I did wonder where you were!  So we are getting ready to read The Warden by Anthony Trollope.  Go to the library and Barbara St Aubrey has put up all the info on the book.
Due to a shortage of discussion leaders, we have changed our ways of offering books for discussions. Not one every month but more like one every few months! And the discussions are much longer!  We read "Hidden Figures" starting in June and didn't get done until late July. A wonderful time was had by all.

So I expect to see you in the Library soon!!🤓🤓🤓

mabel1015j

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2017, 05:33:47 PM »
Some of you were around, long ago, when we read much of Ariel and Will Durant’s “Story of Civilization” i think we went on for 6 or 7 years ( that doesn’t seem possible, but I believe I’m right on that. Robbie??? Help me out)
I actually learned about what became Seniorlearn because of that discussion. I was teaching a course on Western Civ and googled something and the discussion came up. Robbie did a yeoman’s job facilitating it for us and it was such fun to be able to see the links of all sorts of things related to early civilizations i.e. art, architecture, etc. I assume the discussion is in the archives, I haven’t looked.

Some comments about that series of books is in a discussion “The lessons of history” offered for free on the Learnoutloud site. It was mentioned in their end of year newsletter.

https://www.learnoutloud.com/Free-Audio-Video/Philosophy/History-of-Philosophy/The-Lessons-of-History/3841?utm_source=FROTD&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Free%2BResource%20of%20the%20Day

Jean