Author Topic: PBS Masterpiece Mystery ~ Wallander  (Read 60176 times)

BooksAdmin

• TopicManager
PBS Masterpiece Mystery ~ Wallander
« on: May 11, 2009, 02:58:07 PM »

The new Masterpiece Mystery series, "Wallander" ~  is based on the bestselling Swedish crime novels by Henning Mankell.

Detective  Kurt Wallander, brilliantly played by Kenneth Branagh, martials his wits to solve a series of bizarre crimes while his personal life and health spiral out of control.
"He's distant from his daughter, estranged from his father and looks like he's in perpetual need of a good night's sleep. The depressive detective sometimes seems paralyzed by indecision in his personal life."
Branagh, the renowned Shakespearean actor, sees the weary detective as everyman in his daily stuggles.

PBS Summer Mystery Schedule & Coming Attractions

Watch the episodes online: "Sidetracked" and "Firewall" and "One Step Behind"

Charlie Rose interview with Kenneth Branagh

Would you like to form a Wallander Book/Film club?   Let's discuss the PBS adaptation of Henrick Mankell's novels  and/or discuss  Mankell's  novels  if you are interested.  We can send you a set of three of the Wallender novels for the price of postage - if supplies last. (4 sets left!)  Are you interested?

mrssherlock

Re: PBS Masterpiece Mystery!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 04:07:56 PM »
Count me in.  OPB will surely broadcast this series once pledge drive is over. 
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

mrssherlock

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 04:10:08 PM »
PS:  The novels I prefer are Sidetracked and One Step Behind.  Thanks.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 04:52:34 PM »
Ok, Jackie.  I've got your "order".  (Actually, the two available to us are Fireball and Sidetracked.

I'm sure you'll  find  a rebroadcast of the first episonde  soon. find.   Now let's see who else is interested!

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 06:21:37 PM »
OH, JOAN!  PLEASE SEND ME BOTH.  HOPE I CAN SEE THIS ALL THE WAY THROUGH LATER.
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 06:35:13 PM »
OK, that's two sets spoken for, Ann! No, there's me.  That's three.  I just watched the first episode  again this afterrnoon with Bruce...and for the second time, I cried at the ending.  (I saw Bruce's eyes were damp too.) If you ask me, it even was better the second time around.

Do you think we should open a discussion?  We'll see how many more are into the Wallandars - before we decide.

Tomereader1

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 06:56:12 PM »
I would like the books also, Joan.  If there are any sets left.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Frybabe

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 08:19:13 PM »
I'm in. Please send me a set too.

JoanR

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 08:54:39 PM »
Please count me in too.
 I watched the first episode and am eager to read some of his books now.  I think I mentioned in some other place that the NYT review of the show said that Wallander listens to opera in his car but that they left that out of the TV series - afraid that it might sound too much like Inspector Morse who was also a music lover.  That's the kind of thing that really humanizes the characters, I think.

JoanR

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 08:55:38 PM »
Ooops!  I forgot to say right out that I'd like a set!  Sorry!

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2009, 09:07:11 PM »
It looks like we'll have a discussion of this series - the tv program, or the books.  That's great.  My husband was telling me at dinner that this is the best show he's seen on TV in a long time.

The following are on the list for a set of the books:

mrssherlocik
Ann
JoanP
Frybabe
Tomereader
JoanR
Mippy
Marcie
Marjv

Gumtree

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2009, 05:05:49 AM »
Well, this Wallander character is all new to me - haven't seen anything about it on TV but no doubt it will come shortly - haven't read the books or even heard of the author. No use sending me a set as the postage will be prohibitive and I may not receive them until next Christmas.  :D I'll take a look in the library to see if they have the books and if not I'll look at the bookstores... you've certainly roused my curiosity - any character who listens to opera in the car will get my vote - and Kenneth Branagh as a detective ..hmmm...he certainly looks the part in the header.
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

Gumtree

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009, 05:24:51 AM »
So...I just checked catalogues for two nearby libraries - both  have several of Mankell's books including some Junior and Young Adult stuff...
Many titles are sitting on the shelves including Sidetracked and Firewall so once you get going I'll be able to read along with you even if I don't join in the actual discussions. Depends if it grabs me ..I'm not much into mystery/detective books but I do enjoy them once in a while.

MarjV

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2009, 08:28:40 AM »
I love the Mankell Wallender series.    Didin't realize they were going to broadcast on PBS.  I rarely check our PBS sched since most of what is run here I am not interested in except the Mystery theater.

Oooops - just checked the online sched and they did show the first one here on the 10th!   :(

MarjV

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2009, 08:39:19 AM »
Gum, how much is postage to au?  It's great that your library has the books!  You won't believe this detective - like no other I've ever met.  Probably giving away something, there's a scene where W. breaks down and sobs, "I just can't do it anymore" - he becomes completely human, not just a tec who likes to solve mysteries.

MarjV - they rebroadcast during the week following each episode -  check the schedule in your area.  If you miss it altogether (please try not to) - there will be a whole new episode this coming Sunday.  Are you interested in a set of the books?

EDit - see your post now - Netflix has it?  Good information!

Mippy

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2009, 08:52:17 AM »
Good morning!
Could I please be included also?  I posted into Books into Movies yesterday, but
arrived here today.   It sounds excellent!
quot libros, quam breve tempus

Babi

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2009, 09:07:22 AM »
 I posted this reply in "Books and Movies", so I'll just copy it here.

Well, I don't know about a Wallender club.  After we finished the books, what would the club do?  Maybe a PBS Masterpiece club would be more useful. I checked with my library and fortunately it does have the first two books, so I would not need one of the free sets to participate in a discussion.
  I checked and found that the PBS presentation was repeated at 2 a.m. this
morning, so it is now on tape. I'll be watching it at the first opportunity and get back to you.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2009, 09:29:41 AM »
Mippy, yes, I've added your name to the list - I forget, have you seen the first episode yet?  I hesitate to say much yet until those who missed Episode 1 on Sunday pm get a chance to see it.  Please post when you have seen it.

Babi - that's an idea - a PBS Mystery Club.  The link to the upcoming mysteries is in the heading.  There was never a plan to have a permanent "Wallander" club - just to discuss the PBS May series and for those who wish, to read and discuss the books.  For me, the film production is so good, I'm curious to read the books now - Can the books be better than the film?

Let me get the schedule for the future PBS Mysteries to see what you think...

Take a look -

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2009, 09:43:50 AM »
Mippy, yes, I've added your name to the list - I forget, have you seen the first episode yet?  I hesitate to say much yet until those who missed Episode 1 on Sunday pm get a chance to see it.  Please post when you have seen it.

Babi - that's an idea - a PBS Mystery Club.  The link to the upcoming mysteries is in the heading.  There was never a plan to have a permanent "Wallander" club - just to discuss the PBS May series and for those who wish, to read and discuss the books.  For me, the film production is so good, I'm curious to read the books now - Can the books be better than the film?

Let me get the schedule for the future PBS Mysteries to see what you think...

Take a look -

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2009, 11:11:37 AM »
The description of the PBS series as "gritty" left me wondering if it might be very bleak but your reviews so far make me want to see it. I've enjoyed the older Mystery series on PBS (Miss Marple, Hercule Poirot, Sherlock Holmes, Campion, Morse and others).

I missed the first showing of the first episode of Wallander but see that it will be available a few other times this week so I'll be able to see it. I'd appreciate your sending me a set of books too and I'll join the discussion.

Frybabe

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2009, 11:21:56 AM »
Oh Goodie, more Poirot and Miss Marple.

I've not seen any of the Inspector Lewis series. How does it hold against Inspector Morse. Laurence Fox, is he any relation to Edward Fox? He has the blond hair and long thin face. Off to investigate!

Mippy

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2009, 12:01:04 PM »
Nope, I've not seen the first one, due to babysitting with our new 5-week old grandson
(at his house).   It's not exactly babysitting, it's mommy-helper duty.
I'll try to catch the next one, if possible.   Thanks for asking!

Frybabe

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2009, 01:20:47 PM »
Answered my question. Edward Fox, uncle of Laurence. James Fox is his father. It was James who I was thinking of, remembering his role in King Rat and Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines.

Rainbow

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2009, 03:55:55 PM »
Netflix as 2 episodes on 1 disc I just now discovered:

http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Wallander_Sidetracked_Firewall/70117884?lnkce=seRtLn&trkid=222336&lnkctr=srchrd-sr&strkid=394794888_0_0
I just ordered this set from Netflex....which one was on this past week?  I'll only watch one and wait for the next PBS airing. 

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2009, 06:10:15 PM »
Sidetracked is also available for viewing onine -- for a limited time-- at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/wallander/watch.html

Rainbow, the TV schedule is at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/schedule/index.html

MarjV

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2009, 08:16:02 AM »
Oh thanks, Marcie!    I see the Netflix disc isn't available til June.

No, I don't want the books, thanks.  Our lib has them all.

ALF43

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2009, 08:34:15 AM »
Wallander sounds like my cup of Tea.  Is this the first episode or the 2nd?  It doesn't say.
Wallander: Sidetracked
The gritty and engrossing "Wallander: Sidetracked" stars Kenneth Branagh as Swedish crime author Henning Mankell's scruffy police detective Kurt Wallander, who investigates a 15-year-old girl's self-immolation and several ax murders.

I am assuming it is the first and ti-Vo'ed it.  If it is the 2nd - well--- a day late....
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

Babi

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2009, 08:53:29 AM »
MARCIE, 'gritty' is good, but 'uniform gray' strikes me as more accurate. My reaction to this one is not wildly enthusiastic.  Wallender seems to be very popular, tho', so maybe he grows on one with acquaintance.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

ALF43

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2009, 09:38:38 AM »
Once again, is Sidetracked the 1st of the series?
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2009, 09:47:59 AM »
Andy, yes, Sidetracked is the first, followed by Firewall and then the third is One Step Ahead (or behind)

Babi - gray and gritty, yes.  I felt the same way.  It was the second time I watched the first episode that it got to me.  Give it another try would be my advice.  You get another prospective or something...

I'm late, will be back this afternoon-

ALF43

« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2009, 09:49:39 AM »
Merci, mon amie.  I will set up the TiVo.

Rainbow

« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2009, 10:24:25 AM »
Sidetracked is also available for viewing onine -- for a limited time-- at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/wallander/watch.html

Rainbow, the TV schedule is at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/schedule/index.html
Thanks for the info Marcie, I will watch it on my PC.  I can't find a repeat on our PBS station.
This way, I'll be up to date for this week's episode.

Gumtree

« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2009, 10:34:43 AM »
When is this discussion likely to start - will discussion be of the TV series or the books?

mrssherlock

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2009, 12:19:07 PM »
Finally thought to check my month's schedule from OPB and found that Wallander will be 'cast one week behind the rest of the country.  Haven't tried to watch on the'puter but I have watched Netflis DVDs that way and its OK if not great.  Speaking of which, have any of you pdated to HD big, big screens yet?  I'm debating whether to set aside one of my quarterly checks to one about 42".  I have a 37" now, not HD,  it's one of those big, heavy clunkers, seems to take up half the room.
Jackie

Rainbow

« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2009, 01:08:12 PM »
We bought a 40" about three years ago.  We just got our HD upgrade from our cable provider HD here and now we really enjoy our large screen.  The 40" are harder to find, 42" is more standard but our living  area would not support that size.  It's a Samsung which was quite a bit cheaper than the Sony and, we think, just as good.  Now I'm off to watch Wallander on my PC.....

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2009, 03:28:03 PM »
Gum, without having seen the books yet, I want to say that the discussion will be of both the film - and the books.   Who knows, the film might not be true to the book.  Detective Wallander might not resemble the character in the book - might be Kenneth Branagh's interpretation of him.  That might be the real advantage of discussing both at the same time.

Babi - I've been thinking about the advantage of viewing the episode more than once.  Oh, yes, it was grim, bleak, gritty and gray.  The first time I was concerntrating more on who dun it - and the grizzly murders/suicide the detective was drawn into solving.  The second time, I was more aware of what was going on his personal life - and the impact it had on his job.  It was the second time around that I felt I knew the man - and prepared me to watch him more closely in future episodes..

Welcome, Rosebud - yes, viewing area is the deciding factor when choosing TV screen size.  Our flat screen  is only 32 " - but with the HD (high def) it is amazingly bright and clear (even the gray Swedish landscape) and suits the small room just fine.  You don't need huge, unless your room is huge, Jackie.

Gum, I have been waiting to hear that most have had a chance to view the first episode before we begin to talk about it -

Shall we say we'll begin tomorrow?  I keep letting out my thoughts of the first episode anyone - without intending to.

Mippy

« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2009, 04:41:51 PM »
Good afternoon, everyone ~
Please don't wait for me to begin the discussion.   With so many hours spent
with our new grandson, I'll not be likely to watch what I miss.  Maybe in June?
 But I'll lurk or ask questions, anyway.   
                  So ...  is the game afoot?

ALF43

« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2009, 05:25:28 PM »
Well drats!  I checked our local listings and was told that part I would be aired on Friday AM.  When I wnet into PBS to TiVo it, it gave me Sesame street or Curious George.  grrrrrrrrrr
I will keep my eye out and if that is wrong I will watch the video on the computer.

Rainbow

« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2009, 05:53:24 PM »
I watched part one on my PC this afternoon.  Of course, it was not the same as on our 42" HD TV.  I was mostly interested in the plot and characters so that I can view the upcoming episode with some background.  I won't make any reference to the plot until we are all ready to discuss this.