Author Topic: PBS Masterpiece Mystery ~ Wallander  (Read 60175 times)

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
Re: PBS Masterpiece Mystery!
« Reply #80 on: May 21, 2009, 10:08:04 AM »

The new Masterpiece Mystery series, "Wallander" ~  is based on the bestselling Swedish crime novels by Henning Mankell.

Detective  Kurt Wallander, brilliantly played by Kenneth Branagh, martials his wits to solve a series of bizarre crimes while his personal life and health spiral out of control.
"He's distant from his daughter, estranged from his father and looks like he's in perpetual need of a good night's sleep. The depressive detective sometimes seems paralyzed by indecision in his personal life."
Branagh, the renowned Shakespearean actor, sees the weary detective as everyman in his daily stuggles.

PBS Summer Mystery Schedule & Coming Attractions

Watch the episodes online: "Sidetracked" and "Firewall" and "One Step Behind"

Charlie Rose interview with Kenneth Branagh

Would you like to form a Wallander Book/Film club?   Let's discuss the PBS adaptation of Henrick Mankell's novels  and/or discuss  Mankell's  novels  if you are interested.  We can send you a set of three of the Wallender novels for the price of postage - if supplies last. (4 sets left!)  Are you interested?

I became aware of the change in the film from almost black and white to brighter color depending on the scene.  Very interesting visual effect.

Rainbow, I hadn't noticed the color change depending on the scene- but will certaily be watchful in the next episode.
By the way, I see that the third episode will not be aired in the DC Metro area this Sunday  because of a Memorial Day special on PBS. - We must wait until May 31st for the final episode.  Is this the case in your corner of the world?

This lull between episodes will give those reading the book some time to comment on your impressions -perhaps to compare the two. I remember being surprised to read that the book version sees the action through the eyes fo the killer - in the first episode at least.

By the way, the books were shipped yesterday, so those who requested them should be receiving a nice set of three books in the next day or so.  If YOU find you are now interested in receiving  a set, (free, except for the shipping fee)  - please email me.  (Jackie- are you getting my emails? I need your address.)

Frybabe
- yes, for these hackers, it would have been easy to get into the Detective's emai accountl.  Rememeber though that it was the daughter who submitted her father's name to the online dating site...she is so sweet, worrying that poor dad needs to get a live now that Mom has just informed him she wants a divorce so she can remarry.   Isn't it a bit soon to start dating?  He's still wearing his wedding ring when he meets Ella for lunch.  Didn't you think it was a bit odd when she didn't react  to the fact that he is a married man - yet she was ready to walk away when he was late for their first date.  I have to admit that I was a bit suspicious when she appeared on the scene.  Not suspicious enough though!

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: May 21, 2009, 11:40:44 AM »
Rainbow (I was wondering about your photo with the white figure!) I vividly remember the color of the yellow rapeseed flowers in the first episode and have an impression of the many dark settings of episodes. I'll watch more carefully for the changes. Thanks for bringing this up.

Joan, I wasn't suspicious of Ella at first. You had good instincts!

Thank you for mailing the books. Will you let us know the cost of shipping so that we can reimburse you?

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #82 on: May 21, 2009, 11:46:04 AM »
Another revelation about Wallander's personal life that I thought was very interesting was that his father has always painted the same scene in all of his thousands of paintings!  The father says that he sometimes intends to paint something different but he always returns to the same scene, finding some new variation in it. I'll have to replay the part where he tells Wallander this and gives his son advice on how to cope with life from his experience of painting like that.

Frybabe

« Reply #83 on: May 21, 2009, 12:00:57 PM »
Remember though that it was the daughter who submitted her father's name to the online dating site...

I see your point Joan. If the very first contact he had with the dating agency was Ella's email, then they would have had to have been hacking into his daughter's machine or the dating agency. Not likely! I wonder if there is more detail in the book - like, was there some "casual" contact between the bad guys and the daughter suggesting she submit his name? Was one of the techies servicing the agency's computers/website recognize his name and take advantage of it?

I noticed the ring incident and remember thinking uh-oh, he has some explaining to do. But the moment passed, nothing was said, and I forgot about it until you mentioned it. I wonder if he and his wife had been separated for quite some time before she actually asked for a divorce. The daughter might had expected the eventual divorce for some time prior to the actual event. I don't know what separation/divorce laws are in Sweden. In Pennsylvania, at least 25 yrs or so ago, if you separated but were not divorced it was still considered adultery if you messed around with someone else before the divorce. (At least that was my perception) It counted against you if you were looking to gain custody of the children. My neighbors went through this.

I am looking forward to receiving the books. Will probably look at episode two over the weekend.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #84 on: May 21, 2009, 12:06:24 PM »
Marcie, do you know who plays the role of the father?  He seems so eerily familiar - and with a voice like that, he must have been in many productions.  Like Branagh, he seems to be (or have been)  a Shakespearean actor.

I thought that was the most moving episode - the man who is beside himself knowing that his mind is going - suddenly becomes so lucid and eloquent as he responds to his son's tears that he cannot continue his gruesome detective investigations, day after day.

I'm eager to learn whether this scene from Henning Mankell's book, or part of the PBS adaptation.  Hopefully I can begin reading tonight.

Frybabe, I just love the little hints, that turn out to be important clues as the story develops.  After the first episode I am now watchful for them from the very beginning.  As soon as  I saw the boyfriend with the three computers set up, I noted the connection with the online dating site.  Anyone with three computers sitting next to one another - just had to be a suspect!

But what I like most about the first two episodes is the portrayal of the detective as a man living on the edge, with family worries all mixed in with the terrible crime all around him.  I have to ask - is Sweden undergoing some sort of crime wave?  I've always thought of Sweden as a free, easy-going society - with little cirme.  But these murders are so...gruesome!  I found this article on the popularity of crime novels in Europe...

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #85 on: May 21, 2009, 01:32:13 PM »
I'm back after a few days of no computer access. I admit I didn't watch episode 2. We had just had an earthquake 20 minutes before, and I was trying to find information about it on TV. When I turned over to PBS, I had missed the first ten minutes. I watched for awhile but found I couldn't understand anything that was going on -- they were talking about things I'd missed. So I gave up. I was kind of shook up anyway (only the second earthquake I've been in since I've moved to California, and the most severe. We Easterners aren't used to those things) and wanted to call everybody and see if they were all right.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #86 on: May 21, 2009, 01:54:21 PM »
You must have been terrified, Joan!  Are you sure you wouldn't like  a set of the  you like  the books?  We have some extras...

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #87 on: May 21, 2009, 02:50:04 PM »
Your first big earthquake, Joan! That's scary. You might want to try watching the episode on your computer. The link is in the heading at the top of the page. I was skeptical but it's quite easy to view and hear through your computer screen.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #88 on: May 21, 2009, 02:53:53 PM »
Joan, Wallander's father is played by David Warner. He looked familiar to me too but I'm not sure in what I remember seeing him. See Wikipedia article on David Warner

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #89 on: May 21, 2009, 06:13:28 PM »
Oh Marcie, thank you!!!  I googled David Warner and look at this!
David Warner's film and stage performances
Didn't I say I thought he sounded like he might be a Shakespearean actor? - ::)

Stage Appearances
Conrade, Much Ado about Nothing, Belgrade Theatre, Coventry, England, 1962
Jim, Afore Night Come, New Arts Theatre, London, 1962
Snout, A Midsummer Night's Dream, Royal Court Theatre, London, 1962
Cinna, Julius Caesar, Royal Shakespeare Company, Memorial Theatre,Stratford-upon-Avon, England, 1963
Title role, Henry VI, Royal Shakespeare Company, Memorial Theatre,1963
Trinculo, The Tempest, Royal Shakespeare Company, Memorial Theatre, 1963
Henry VI, The Wars of the Roses, Royal Shakespeare Company, Memorial Theatre, then Aldwych Theatre, London, 1964
Mouldy, Henry IV, Part II, Royal Shakespeare Company, Memorial Theatre, 1964
Title role, Richard II, Royal Shakespeare Company, Memorial Theatre, 1964
Valentine Brose, Eh?, Royal Shakespeare Company, Aldwych Theatre,1964
The Rebel, Royal Shakespeare Company, Aldwych Theatre, 1964
Title role, Hamlet, Royal Shakespeare Company, Memorial Theatre, then Aldwych Theatre, both 1965, later Memorial Theatre, 1966
Sir Andrew Aguecheek, Twelfth Night (also known as Twelfth Night, or What You Will), Royal Shakespeare Company, Memorial Theatre, 1966
Postmaster, The Government Inspector, Royal Shakespeare Company, Aldwych Theatre, 1966
Julian, Tiny Alice, Royal Shakespeare Company, Aldwych Theatre, 1970
Claudius, I, Claudius, Queen's Theatre, London, 1972
Hammett, The Great Exhibition, Hampstead Theatre Club, London, 1972
Title role, Uncle Vanya, Goodman Theatre, Chicago, IL, 1990
"Quartermaine's Terms," The Play's the Thing, L.A. Theatre Works,Skirball Cultural Center, Los Angeles, 1997
Andrew Undershaft, Major Barbara, Roundabout Theatre Company, American Airlines Theatre, New York City, 2001
Karl Johnson, The Feast of Snails, Lyric Theatre, London, 2002
Title role, King Lear, Chichester Theatre Festival, Minerva Theatre, Chichester, England, 2004

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #90 on: May 21, 2009, 08:28:51 PM »
Wow, Joan, that's quite an impressive Shakespeare resume. I wonder how their common experiences as Shakesperian actors affect Branagh's and Warner's interactions in Wallander.
'

Frybabe

« Reply #91 on: May 22, 2009, 10:30:08 AM »
Okay, I just finished watching Sidetracked and liked it very much. When they showed a brief closeup of a TV guide, I noticed that the shows listed were American.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #92 on: May 22, 2009, 10:57:53 AM »
Okay, I just finished watching Sidetracked and liked it very much. When they showed a brief closeup of a TV guide, I noticed that the shows listed were American.

LOL, Frybabe, I wonder if they did that on purpose :-)

Frybabe

« Reply #93 on: May 22, 2009, 11:26:05 AM »
JoanP, just got my set of books. Many thanks. Now all I have to do is decide which I want to read first. Are we going to discuss the books one by one or keep it more general?

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #94 on: May 22, 2009, 12:49:56 PM »
Marcie, are you able to see the schedule for the last episode - One Step Behind?  I think it will not air until May 31, but want to make sure.  Here's the schedule published in a newsletter I received -

Sidetracked
When a young woman sets herself on fire in a field, Wallander leads a search for her identity. Could her suicide be connected to a string of grisly murders?
 May 17, 2009 at 9pm

Firewall
Wallander and his team investigate the murder of a taxi driver by two teen girls. Can Wallander fight crime and find love at the same time?

May 31, 2009 at 9pm
One Step Behind

Three young people are ritually gunned town in a meadow. Wallander always seems to be one step behind the killer.

I think we can find plenty to talk about between now and next Sunday - especially if we can have some input from those who are reading the books.

Frybabe - I'm glad you received your books.  I believe you are the first.  I've started to read Sidetracked first - since that was when I was first introduced to Wallander in the first episode.  I must say I am loving it.  Can't wait to see if some of our unanswered questions are answered.

If anyone else would like me to send on a set of books, please speak up.  I do have several extras.
Jackie, please email me - this set has your name on it, and your email rejects me.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #95 on: May 22, 2009, 01:05:49 PM »
I found some  information in a Masterpiece newsletter that came in email form -  on Crime in Sweden.  I hope to figure out how to get a link to the article in its entirety here, but until I do, I thought you might find this interesting.

I found the murders in the small port town so grizzly - out of sync with the buccolic environment.  At first I thought the author was going for the dramatic effect, simply to hold a certain type of audience - until I read this interview with the author, Henning Mankell.

The Sweden of the Wallander books is a more troubled place than many Americans may have thought. What would you like your U.S. audience to know about your country?

For many years now there has been a sort of mythological image of Sweden that was not created by us but by you. Sweden has always been, yes, a decent society, but also society with many kinds of problems. Even the Swedish sun has its dark side.

Why did you choose the small port city of Ystad as the settings for the stories?

If I had been in the United States, I would have chosen a border city like Brownsville, Texas. Border cities have a special dynamism because of all the different people who meet there. You have to remember that Ystad is in the southern part of Sweden on the Baltic Sea, which is like the Rio Grande between us and the continent. Another reason I chose Ystad is that about twenty years ago, when I started to write about Wallander, something very unfortunate was happening in Sweden. It became possible to buy any kind of drugs in Ystad that before you could only get in big cities like Copenhagen. The difference between the small city and the big city disappeared, and I wanted to show that development.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #96 on: May 22, 2009, 01:07:59 PM »
Yes, Joan, the third episode, ONE STEP BEHIND, also will air on May 31 in my area. The website says that the episode will be available online from June 1 - June 7.

Thanks for posting that information about Ystad--very interesting.

Dana

• ::
« Reply #97 on: May 22, 2009, 01:22:00 PM »
I like the Wallander series but did not like the TV version--to dark and slow and I don't care for the British fashion of chopping up the story line. I found that each successive one of  Mankell's books became a little more nasty and bizarre.  The books flyleafs all recommend the Swedish authors Maj Siowall and Per Wahloo who wrote 10 detective stories back in the 60s (I think).  Then he died and she didn't write any more.  They are the best detective series I have ever read, bar none (and I love detective stories.)   If you haven't tried them I very very highly recommend them.  The first in the series is Roseanna.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #98 on: May 22, 2009, 01:24:14 PM »
I thought that the plot of FIREWALL was very timely and forward-looking--as it involved "information technology terrorism of financial institutions." I hadn't thought about the fact that the book was written over ten years ago. There is a brief Q&A with the author Henning Mankell about that aspect of the plot of FIREWALL at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/wallander/mankell.html

It says:

Q: Firewall, which you wrote more than ten years ago, involves an assault on the European banking system. Clearly you perceived vulnerabilities that are now playing out in the world economy. Could you comment on that?

A: After that book had been published in Sweden, there was a professor who wrote an article protesting that what I wrote wouldn't be possible. Then just two weeks after he produced that article, exactly the same thing happened in Finland. People say it's very difficult to talk about the future, but I don't believe that. Naturally, you cannot say whether there will be a natural catastrophe or a terrorist attack or such things. But there are so many things that you can predict, if you sit down and think a little. I must say that I wasn't all that surprised when we had this big financial crisis, since everything was building up for it during the last few years.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #99 on: May 22, 2009, 01:35:05 PM »
From the same interview as I cited above, Mankell also talks about the development of the Wallander character that he strives to portray. He said that Wallander grows more radical in the later novels. In a "series" I enjoy seeing the main characters develop in ways that you trust--in ways that show that the author has control over his or her portrayal and is being thoughtful. Some television shows betray that trust. I think they call it "jumping the shark" when a show starts portraying absurd or silly departures from character and you get the feeling that the creator/producers are toying with you.

Mankell seems like a very thoughtful writer and Branagh strikes me as a very thoughtful actor.

Q:  One of your ambitions has been to show Wallander as a man who is always changing and never fixed. How has he evolved?

A: I'll give you one example. After, I think, the third novel, I spoke with a friend who is a doctor. I asked her, what kind of disease would you give Wallander? She said immediately, diabetes, because of the way he's living. He's a little overweight and he doesn't move around a lot. I thought about it and said, OK, I'll give him diabetes. As a result he became even more popular. Can you imagine James Bond getting diabetes? Of course not! But Wallander is more like a real person. And what is true about human beings is that we're always changing. This not only goes for our health or physical appearance; it also goes for our thoughts, which is the reason Wallander today is more radical than he was when I started to write the novels.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #100 on: May 22, 2009, 01:41:48 PM »
I was curious to see the order in which the Wallander mysteries were written:

1. Mördare utan ansikte, 1991 (Faceless Killers)
   2. Hundarna i Riga, 1992 (The Dogs of Riga)
   3. Den vita lejoninnan, 1993 (The White Lioness)
   4. Mannen som log, 1994 (The Man who Smiled)
   5. Villospår, 1995 (Sidetracked)
   6. Den femte kvinnan, 1996 (The Fifth Woman)
   7. Steget efter, 1997 (One Step Behind)
   8. Brandvägg, 1998 (Firewall)
   9. Pyramiden, 1999 (The Pyramid, short stories)

Apparently, there is a final book in the series that Mankell is writing now.

He also wrote a book about Linda Wallander, Kurt Wallanders daughter:
 Innan frosten, 2002 (Before the Frost)

We might keep the chronological order of the books in mind as we talk about the character of Wallander.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #101 on: May 22, 2009, 01:48:17 PM »
Dana, we were posting about the same time. I haven't read any of Wallander's books yet. The PBS series is my first introduction. It will be interesting for me to experience the same story in book form. I look forward to receiving the books that Joan has sent and I'll look for some of the earlier ones in my local public library.

Thank you for the information about the other Swedish authors Maj Siowall and Per Wahloo.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #102 on: May 23, 2009, 02:00:38 PM »
Dana, I can't say that I dislike the TV series - but I do agree with you.  I love Henning Markell's writing!  I've read the first 150 pages of Sidetracked - and feel much more comfortable following the plot than in the series.
For example - did you ever understand why Stefan dressed as Geronomo when he scalped his victims?  In the novel we are introduced to the murderer even before he goes after his second victim!

And the young girl who committed suicide at the start of the film?  We meet her in the very first chapter when she is born and baptized Dolores Maria Santana.  Remember the gold necklace engraved with the initials DMS?  

There's something very different in  Sidetacked  regarding Wallander's marriage  to Mona - but I'll leave that for you to read for yourself.

As for  Wallander himself- maybe it's because I first met him as Kenneth Branagh - well, his appearance, his portrayl continues in the reading of the book.  Important here is the way he can stomach the most gruesome murders - except where children are concerned.  Then he loses it.  These stay with him and he stops at nothing to find what has happened to them.
I can understand how the detective's character will get darker, more depressed as the series continues - especially if he has to deal with more crimes involving young people.

Marcie -it was interesting to read that One Step Behind was written the year before Firewall - and yet  Masterpiece chose to run it after the Firewall episode.  That tells me it doesn't matter.

We might keep the chronological order of the books in mind as we talk about the character of Wallander
Will we see a change in his character between One Step Behind and Firewall?

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #103 on: May 23, 2009, 02:05:11 PM »
DANA: that's interesting. Have you mentioned it in the Mystery corner?

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #104 on: May 23, 2009, 10:04:10 PM »
Just taking a little break from Firewall, which I’m liking much more than Sidetracked, probably because I know what’s going on.  It’s one good mystery, and from what many of you have said, I feel the books will be even better.  The background information that you all have posted, about Ystad and Menkall’s character have really helped for watching  this one that I’ve taped.

I’ve becme addicted to Google Earth,  and there are wonderful photos there.  Here are three of the city – population about 17,000.  I thought the author’s comment about things in the small towns becoming more like the ways of the big cities very interesting.

Click on the photo to change the size.

Ystad street scene

Doll houses?

View from the harbor

Intermission over. Back to the show.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #105 on: May 23, 2009, 10:20:17 PM »

In the Center of Ystad

Couldn't resist -- Is this where Ella and Kurt met for beverages?

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #106 on: May 23, 2009, 11:16:48 PM »
ohh, thanks for those photos, Pedln. I didn't think to search for photos of Ystad. It looks very quaint and lovely.

I received the 3 books in the mail and will start reading asap! (Many thanks, Joan. My check is in the mail.) My library system has most of Mankell's mysteries so I'll be able to read the chronologically earlier ones also.

It seems like the chronological order doesn't matter to the PBS series portrayal of Wallander.

Frybabe

« Reply #107 on: May 24, 2009, 01:00:09 AM »
My check is NOT in the mail. It was out for the mailman to pick up, but he apparently didn't see it. It was still there when I got the mail he left for me. Hmmmmm!

CubFan

« Reply #108 on: May 24, 2009, 10:13:55 AM »
Greetings

According to our PBS schedule tonight - after the Memorial Day Concert is Wallender - One Step Behind.
I checked both the print and online schedules and both have him listed.

Mary
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #109 on: May 24, 2009, 10:29:30 AM »
Mary - it seems you will be One Step Ahead of the rest of us. :D 

I've been reading Sidetracked - almost finished - can't put it down.  Even though I know the outcome having seen the first episode.  Go figure!  Maybe because I'm learning more about what was going on from the book.

Pedln - the Google Earth photos are fanatastic!  Tell me what I'm looking at - are they photos taken from zeroing in using Google Earth?  My son put Google Earth on my computer - but in an attempt to clean up my computer to make it move faster, I took it off.  I'm beginning to think I made a mistake seeing what you have posted.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #110 on: May 24, 2009, 12:21:08 PM »
JoanP, the photos are from Goggle Earth.  You really aren't aware of photos until you start zeroing in on a particular location.  Don't ask me how they got there.  I've become addicted to Google Earth -- first wanting to see where the NY and California daughters were buying homes, then really got excited about it while reading Three Cups of Tea.  You can see maps, you can see actual landscapes (I don't know how it's set up, but in the city scapes they've taken gazillion pictures (as opposed to the scenic photos depicting Ystad), so you can find what any street look(s)(ed) like.

There's a learning curve with this software and I've a long way to go.  The link below is a pretty good guide.

Google Earth Basics

I finished Firewall last night.  REally enjoyed it, but some of those shots were pretty grisly, some scenes kind of hokey.  Looking forward to the next one.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #111 on: May 24, 2009, 02:00:42 PM »
You can also see photos of some places without the google earth application. Just google for ystad, sweden and click MAPS. You'll see photos on the left. Click one. You can then click satellite to get an aerial view of the location too.

EvelynMC

« Reply #112 on: May 24, 2009, 07:01:11 PM »
I just picked up my mail, and my books are here.  

Thank you so much, JoanP, for sending them.  I will put my check in the mail tomorrow, but, of course, it won't go out until Tuesday.

I also just finished watching Episode 1, "Side-Tracked".  It was gruesome. The acting is so good and it was fast paced and suspenseful. I was touched by the ending. I have seen the actor who plays his father before, either on TV or in a movie.  I recognized him immediately although he is older than I remember. It is good to know his name and that he has such a long list of Shakespeare credits.  

Episode 3 "One Step Behind" will air here May 31.

Thanks, Pedlin, for posting those Goodgle Earth photos.  Ystad looks like a nice clean town, very picturesque. Thanks also for the "Googe Earth Basics".
I'm going to give it a try.

It is raining cats and dogs here.  Has been all day, and both our front and backyards are getting little ponds of water in low spots.  It's supposed to rain all night and tomorrow too.  So, I suppose the power will go out. :(

Evelyn

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #113 on: May 24, 2009, 07:46:58 PM »
Evelyn - I'm so glad to hear that you received the books.  I was about to tell you to read Sidetracked now, while the film version is fresh in your mind (it will make so much more sense, I think) - but then realized that when the power goes out, that won't be possible.  Take care!!!

Pedln, thanks for the link!

EvelynMC

« Reply #114 on: May 24, 2009, 11:38:06 PM »
JoanP,

Our power is still on and I am going to start "Side-Tracked" tonight.

Evelyn

Tomereader1

« Reply #115 on: May 25, 2009, 02:00:08 PM »
Just a heads up to anyone here who may have missed some Masterpiece Theatre "gems" from the past.  If you have Netflix, type Masterpiece Theatre in the Search Box, and there are many, many wonderful programs there, most of which I missed, but have started ordering them from Netflix to view these 'masterpieces'.

Also, anyone who is an inveterate PBS watcher, please tell me if I have been dreaming, but:  It seems like there was a presentation about the Life of Giuseppi Verdi in which Burt Lancaster portrayed Verdi.  I know there is one he "narrated" but was there another?  And was it PBS?
I have searched Netflix, ImDb, etc. and don't find one he "acted" in as Verdi.  ???
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

EvelynMC

« Reply #116 on: May 25, 2009, 10:47:32 PM »
I started "Side-Tracked" last night.  It is a very good read.  A real page turner.  So many things are explained that I was wondering about after watching the video.  

I had to do laundry today and of course all the the other housewifey chores, but kept going back and reading more pages when I could.  I am about halfway through the book now,  but wanted to stop in and say how good this book is.  

Well, back to Wallander and "Side-Tracked"---

Evelyn

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #117 on: May 26, 2009, 12:49:24 PM »
Evelyn, I know what you mean - I can't put the thing down - and I have so many "house-wifey" things to do too!  What is really funny - I'm turning these pages so fast - and I already know who dun it from watching the first episode on PBS!

You're right - so many things are explained in the book that I didn't catch watching the film.  But there was ONE SCENE in the film - probably my favorite - that is not to be found in the book!  I guess it was part of the adaptation process.  I'm not going to mention it yet, because you and others may not have finished reading "Sidetracked."

Tomereader - that's good to know about Netflix.  Don't know about Verdi/Lancaster.  Will scout around after lunch...

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #118 on: May 26, 2009, 01:05:44 PM »
I finished reading "Sidetracked" last night. As you've all mentioned, it was hard to put down.

It was interesting to read a book where you are introduced to the murderer from the beginning. Mankell seems to provide a lot of information as the story evolves but you're still basically left in the dark as far as the mystery elements are involved. He's very good at that. Since I knew from the TV show "who did it," I don't know what I would have figured out and when if I had read the book before seeing the TV production. But I agree with what Joan says, I was really engaged in the book even though "I already know who dun it  from watching the first episode on PBS!"

One thing that was funny to me was how much coffee Wallander and some of the other detectives drank. Maybe because I'm not much of a coffee drinker, I noticed the mention of coffee drinking multiple times a day!

The TV series is definitely a rewriting of the book. Some events  are the same but the television version is its own story with different plot developments.

One key thing that I don't think is really explained in either the book or the tv episode is how a 14-year old boy could have the knowledge and skills to plan and commit the murders. He must have been a near genius.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #119 on: May 26, 2009, 01:23:25 PM »
Tomereader, from my searching on google, it looks like the only Verdi program in which Burt Lancaster played a part was the 1983/84 PBS program that he narrated. See an article about the program at http://www.nytimes.com/1983/10/24/arts/tv-italian-life-of-verdi-in-6-parts.html

There is a DVD (2 discs?) available for about $30 and free shipping at http://www.deepdiscount.com/viewproduct.htm?productId=5750550

There seems to be a comprehensive filmography at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burt_Lancaster