Author Topic: PBS Masterpiece 2017 - 2018  (Read 32943 times)

mabel1015j

Re: PBS Masterpiece 2018
« Reply #120 on: August 10, 2017, 11:54:08 AM »

See the 2018 MASTERPIECE schedule

Let's talk about PBS programs that we enjoy.

UPCOMING

Unforgotten, Seasons 1 and 2
April 8, 2018 to May 13, 2018

Two stone-cold cases of murder test the wits of crime-solving duo DCI Cassie Stuart and DS Sunny Khan, played by Nicola Walker (Last Tango in Halifax) and Sanjeev Bhaskar (Indian Summers), in back-to-back seasons of the critically acclaimed UK crime series Unforgotten.

Little Women
May 13, 2017

Set against the backdrop of the Civil War, the story follows sisters Jo, Meg, Beth and Amy March on their journey from childhood to adulthood. With the help of their mother, Marmee, and while their father is away at war, the girls navigate what it means to be a young woman: from sibling rivalry and first love, to loss and marriage.  Based on the classic novel by Louisa May Alcott, this three-part adaptation was written by the award-winning creator of Call the Midwife, Heidi Thomas.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
Re: PBS Masterpiece 2017
« Reply #121 on: August 10, 2017, 12:25:38 PM »
The Father Brown series is on Netflix also.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #122 on: August 10, 2017, 02:08:59 PM »
Oh good, Jean (Mabel)  and  Jean (FlaJean) haha Thank you!

Jean (Mabel) maybe if your PBS station is starting over, ours will, too, right now they are at the end of Season 5, but I lost all my previous recordings when we were overseas, thank you DISH.

And Jean, (FlaJean) thank you also, I  have DVD's of 1-4 already (5 will not be out till later for us in the US) and I can check them against what Netflix has.

I was shocked to see, in looking at a site which had the titles of each episode, how many we in the US (at least so far) are lacking, even if we've bought the DVD's, and I'd like to see them, too.

CallieOK

« Reply #123 on: August 10, 2017, 05:53:55 PM »
I'm watching "Father Brown" on Netflix.  All 5 seasons are available.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #124 on: August 11, 2017, 01:16:03 PM »
Hi Ginny, and sorry for the late reply - I wasn't avoiding answering your questions, I'm just so tied up with the festivals at the moment; I fight my way through the Old Town, see shows or visit exhibitions that range fro the 5* to the total rubbish, then fight my way back onto a crowded, damp and humid bus (if I'm lucky! ended up walking home yesterday) and as soon as I get in it's reviewing time.  I really don't know how people like Broadway Baby do it (though I've met the woman behind that and she is truly terrifying).

Yesterday I went to a very interesting panel discussion organised by the Network of Independent Critics - one of the speakers was none other than Lyn Gardner, longtime theatre critic of The Guardian. She was nothing like I had expected - very down to earth and self-deprecating, but also full of ideas and knowledge. She said - 'why do we do it?' Because we are filled with enthusiasm for something and we want to share it' - I found this so true. I hate giving anyone a bad review, so if (as happened this afternoon) I see a terrible production I tend not to review it at all. I know that's a cop-out, but I always feel - and especially with the Fringe - that these poor people have worked so hard, and often spent so much money to get here and stay here, that it would be mean to lay into them.

The awful thing about the panel session was that only about ten of us turned up. What a colossal waste - as well as Lyn Gardner, there was the former theatre critic, now turned director, of The Times, a lady who works in circus and holds several academic posts in performance arts, an actress who has become a critic, and a critic who has written a book about how to review theatre.  I don't review much theatre, I prefer books and art, but it was all still so interesting. This was a FREE session put on by the Fringe itself, but they are such a shambles that they never advertise things properly. If the same session had been run at the Book Festival (which opens tomorrow) they would have charged £12 per ticket and it would have been sold out.  There is a second session next week - I hope they market that a bit better.

Anyway - you asked about Mad Men. Both Madeleine and I thought it was absolutely fantastic - great story, with lots of little subplots, but more  importantly so much about social and political history of the US, about sexism, homophobia, racism, the Kennedy years, religion, women's gradual rise in the workplace. It is so nuanced and clever, and the acting is just outstanding. Elisabeth Moss and Christina Hendricks are fabulous, but so is just about everyone, there are no duds in the entire series. I do recommend it.

As for the Royals, I will probably be shot down in flames for this, as I know Americans are said to love them, but to me (and to my family, including my 90 year old mother) they are a bunch of over-priviliged, overpaid freeloaders. They cost the country a fortune, they contribuute very little, they don't even pay tax. There! Now I will go and hide in the basement (or would if I had one...)

There has just been a controversial programme on TV here about Diana, with a lot of video footage taken by a voice coach she employed to improve her public speaking after she was divorced. She seems to have been exceedingly frank with this man and told him all sorts of very intimate things about her marriage. She attracts a great deal of sympathy in the UK, but by then she was an expert in playing the media, she knew exactly how to work the victim image. It is of course very sad indeed that she died as she did, but that marriage was a disaster on both sides. I believe that Charles is so weird because of his upbringing - my mother says he was a sensitive child who was deprived of love, and who was sent away to an extremely harsh boarding school at a young age. And imagine having anything less than the hide of a rhinocerus and having Philip as a father! He was told he had to find a virgin to marry so that he could produce an heir. Mrs Parker Bowles was completely off limits. If he had just married her in the first place none of this would have happened. I think the court establishment has a lot to answer for; it is an unstoppabe juggernaut of tradition - though it does seem to have loosened up a bit in the younger generation. It will be interesting to see if Harry is allowed to marry Meghan whatever her name is.

Anyway - those are my thoughts!

Madeleine has a bar job for the festival which involves her being out very late at night, so I have been watching TV on my own. I didn't want to continue with the series we are both watcing so I dug out the DVD of Murder One, which I found in a charity shop. We had watched this when it first came out many years ago but we missed the last episode and never found out what happened!  I must say that so far it is every bot as good as I remembered it - though it's hard to accept that Stanley Tucci is one of the baddies when we are all still madly in love with him from The Devil Wears Prada and Julie & Julia!

And now I'd better actually do a review...

Rosemary

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #125 on: August 12, 2017, 11:16:58 AM »
Absolutely NOTHING on PBS tonight or this entire weekend - everything is music and I like country music as much as anyone but these shows I have already seen over and over again - nothing and next week there is a nod to the usual. However, interesting there is a new Endeavor season 4, that will be featured and then thank goodness, our local station has already announced they are cutting the fund drive off early so it is really just this weekend because the regulars will not be back next weekend but the shows chosen will be at least from the genre we are more used to on a Saturday and Sunday night. Well small blessings, there will be no competition keeping me from seeing the stars tonight... 
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

rosemarykaye

« Reply #126 on: August 12, 2017, 12:55:55 PM »
Barb, sometimes it is nice to 'see the stars' isn't it?  In the middle of all the rushing about for our festivals, I went this afternoon to the tiny St Vincent Chapel for a choral evensong. So peaceful.

I hope you have a good evening,

Rosemary

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #127 on: August 12, 2017, 02:47:43 PM »
Rosemary, thank you for that answer. Yes that is the "Diana  Tapes" to which I referred earlier.

I did not know that the Royal Family does not pay taxes.  And there are so many of them!  I guess they are one of the few remaining  monarchies we in the US know the most about. Now the new  " The Crown" episodes are now being advertised in teasers, the   time skipped ahead to the Kennedy era.  That should be something. The Philip character is especially interesting and they say he will get more and more prominence as the series progresses.

Lucky  you with all those festivals to go to and exciting things to hear and see!  Exciting, to say the least. Loved your account of the panel. I like panels, you get such a wide range of good opinion. At least when one person doesn't dominate.  Hope the next one is better publicized. I loved  your having to walk home, tho I doubt you did, so how I think of the UK, so  Bill Bryson-ish.  There is nothing within walking distance of me, but you  in the UK are famous for walking a lot farther than I would ever consider. He seems to think nothing (or did, perhaps when  younger)  of walking incredible distances and then back home again. We do NOT walk enough in this country, or I don't, for sure.  Too far out and then how would one get back unless one called somebody to pick one up.

We don't have "Broadway Baby" here in the US, although strangely enough, Broadway is here. I did look her up but was not familiar with the subjects currently being reviewed. So I learned something.

Based on your recommendation I'm going to watch the first few episodes of Mad Men and see for myself.  Everybody talks about it but I've never seen it.

Thank  you for all the above.  (Stanley Tucci is always good, always glad to see him in anything.)

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #128 on: August 13, 2017, 07:14:48 PM »
Oh PBS here has just aired the  wonderful Christmas Father Brown episode called The Star of Jacob, it's priceless. I hope those of you who like Father Brown can get to see it.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #129 on: August 15, 2017, 03:06:44 PM »
So how did you see it now?  Seems like it would be shown later in the season! Is that the one with all the different animals?
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

CallieOK

« Reply #130 on: August 15, 2017, 03:27:10 PM »
On my Netflix,  "The Star of Jacob" is the first episode in Season 5 of Father Brown.   

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #131 on: November 29, 2017, 11:18:11 AM »
He's coming  back!! Father Brown has an entire new season, Season 6,  starting in January 2018~!!

Annie, yes, that Christmas special was  the  one with the animals, and Callie is right, it's the first show of Season 5, which is last years,  which, despite the absolutely priceless beginning Christmas special and the fantastic end with Flambeau  I thought  was the weakest series of the lot. 

I think my favorite episode of all of 5 series  was The Crackpot of the Empire but I don't know why?

Mark Williams on Season 6 on the Father Brown Facebook Page:

"Great news for the most-watched BBC1 daytime drama series – Father Brown Series 6 will be released in January 2018 (pending the exact premiere date announcement) and it will be preceded by a Christmas Special that was just announced to air on, well obviously – around Christmas, but we will notify you as soon as the exact date and time are set. Stay tuned for the latest news!"

YAY!  I absolutely love this series, some of the episodes are super,   some not, but Mark Williams absolutely shines along with Sorcha Cusack and how I miss "Lady Felicia" and "Sid," tho,  hopefully they can make some guest appearances. Nothing against the young woman who plays "Bunty," just miss the others.

"Flambeau" is perfect, isn't he?  My favorite treat of the past year has been watching these, all 5 seasons.  And our local PBS station, in fact two of them, are rerunning all of them, but not in order which is confusing, but better than nothing at all.

What an antidote to the news.

Did you know their budget on this show  is such that despite being such a hit they have to film in whatever weather presents itself? That's not fake rain, that's the real thing. Just endears the show to me that much more.

So now we have an entire brand new Christmas special to look forward to  this Christmas and a new season which I hope our PBS will pick up and show.

HO HO HO!!

rosemarykaye

« Reply #132 on: December 01, 2017, 11:15:31 AM »
Hi all

Not sure if I already mentioned that we are enjoying a new adaptation of EM Forster's Howard's End? Matthew Macfadyen plays Mr Wilcox and Hayley Attwell Margaret Schlegel, but my two favourites are Philippa Coulthard as Helen Schlegel and Joseph Quinn as Leonard Bast. I hope you get it on PBS, it's well worth watching.

Rosemary

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #133 on: December 17, 2017, 09:53:45 PM »
I just saw an ad on my PBS channel for a program that will be on tomorrow night at 8pm.  Penelope Keith will be shown around the Queen’s castles.  “In Her Majesty’s Service” is name of the program.  When we were in  Chicago in 1998, we attended a play starring Penelope Keith.  Some  of you may remember her as the next door neighbor on the PBS show called ????? The Good Neighbors?  Anyway Ginny suggested we go see her in Chicago. She always seem to play an uppity neighbor.  She was always a good comedian. Thought some of you might like to watch it. Enjoy! 🤓👌
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

nlhome

« Reply #134 on: December 18, 2017, 09:41:37 AM »
Our PBS station showed a whole evening of "Mapp and Lucia" this weekend, plus the first part of a Christmas "Last Tango in Halifax." I must admit, 5 minutes of the first was enough, and I turned it off, but I did watch Last Tango.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #135 on: December 18, 2017, 10:52:36 AM »
Which adaptation of Mapp & Lucia was it, nlhome?   I recently watched the one with Miranda Richardson and Anna Chancellor and loved it, but I know there are some others.

Last Tango is very popular here, though I started to get a bit bored with it towards the end of the last series. Derek Jacobi is wonderful though!

Nothing much on our TV this week - except for Film 4 showing Carol, which Madeleine and I saw at the cinema when it first came out. I found it quite overwhelmingly powerful, and Cate Blanchett is fabulous in anything - especially this - so i will watch it again.

Rosemary

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #136 on: December 18, 2017, 09:01:26 PM »
PBS changed the Penelope Keith program to 10pm, EST!  It’s 9pm right now so I hope those who might want to watch it will get to!🤓🙏❤️

nlhome

« Reply #137 on: December 19, 2017, 10:47:39 PM »
Rosemary, that was the version that our PBS station was showing, with Miranda Richardson. I was not in the mood, I guess.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #138 on: December 20, 2017, 03:40:23 PM »
nlhome - I do think it is quite odd until you get into it, and I wasn't sure at first, but in the end I found Anna Chancellor in particular absolutely perfect. I agree though, you have to be in the mood.

Rosemary

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #139 on: December 20, 2017, 06:29:50 PM »
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #140 on: December 20, 2017, 08:51:19 PM »
Oh isn't that interesting? I like her (as EF Benson would say) immensely in the role. I need to get that series, thank you for mentioning it, Rosemary, and for putting in the link,  Barbara.

But I feel sorry for the new Georgie,  as who could ever do that better than Nigel Hawthorne? This actor is good but Nigel Hawthorne (I wonder what he thought of the role, he did not mention it in his book) was Nigel  Hawthorne, such camp.

I like Geraldine McEwan (the original Lucia) now, but at first I couldn't stand her voice, and mannerisms, I couldn't understand what I was looking at, and it turned me off, too, but something about it kept drawing me back...but then when I figured it out and read the books, I understood. I think that original cast is so camp and so perfect, I can hear them now as I'm sitting here. I mean Prunella Scales! But I like camp and a lot of people don't. I wonder what EF Benson would have thought of it, there used to be two societies, very serious indeed about his works. At one time I belonged to the more serious but earnest one:  I wonder if they still exist.

I came IN to say thank you,  Ann,  for that head's up, we didn't have it here but it's on Youtube, and here you all are talking about Mapp and Lucia and as it happens I have been escaping the headlines with the 1000th reread of the series.  This time I started with Miss Mapp, a book I used to like the least and now am astounded anew at how well it's written and  with EF  Benson's skillful touch.  This time around I am somewhat stunned by all the  Biblical allusions thrown into the work, I am not sure I have ever noticed them before. It's such rich prose. He was the son of the Archbishop of Canterbury I am sure you all know, and it shows, but the allusions are not of the garden variety.

I love reading his books, another world, a harmless  one,  a satire, more than a comedy of manners..what would you call it? It  makes this world  seem far away sometimes. And like Arthur Conan Doyle, he dismissed these books in favor of his scholarly ones and these are the ones he's best known for. Nice to see somebody talking about him, I must look for this new series on DVD.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #141 on: December 21, 2017, 07:20:10 PM »
 Yes, I am happy to see there are two EF Benson Societies flourishing in that little town of Rye (Tilling), what a hoot.

But I came back in to say that today at Publix Supermarket they had two slices of  what I immediately recognized as a Victoria Sponge (from watching the Best British Bake Off)  and so I bought the small package of two slices, but they were rectangular or loaf like in shape, so I looked it up on Google   and lo and behold when searching for Victoria Sponge Cake  they were talking about something called The Mary Berry Story and it's on youtube https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLM6Vm8M_vnSfw5Ec80FB3EegMyquV1xPx  and I enjoyed so much learning about her life and career, it was a lovely program, a step back in time. I did not know she had had polio as a child and was hospitalized for it. If you  like Mary Berry, the former host of the Great British Bake Off,  (and who does not?)   I thought I'd bring it here. (The video initially says you can't see it in your country and then it  begins to play).  THESE "Victoria sponge cakes" which I bought had cream cheese icing, but those "Victoria sandwiches" she calls them  in the film do not have icing, just a dusting of sugar. You wouldn't think looking at it how good it is.

AND Publix had mincemeat, so I can fix it Christmas (and eat it myself, since nobody else will ) in small tarts this year. Better than black eyed peas for good luck in the New Year if eaten on the 12  Days of Christmas. :)

Frybabe

« Reply #142 on: December 22, 2017, 05:56:39 AM »
Mincemeat tarts are great. I like mincemeat but always feel a little goes a long way because of the strong, rich taste. I used to like to make a combo pie with a layer of mincemeat and a layer of pumpkin in a whole wheat crust. I was fond of whole wheat crust. I used it almost always when I made individual spinach pies in deep tart tins and often with apple pie, sometimes adding some shredded cheddar cheese to the crust mix.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #143 on: December 28, 2017, 01:29:07 PM »
I am amazed and impressed by how much cooking all you American ladies do at Christmas! 

Mince pies are everywhere here. I am not a fan, but my husband loves them, and he actually prefers the shop bought ones, the cheaper the better it seems - I think it must be the pastry. We have just been to buy a cabbage for the sacred bubble and squeak, and he came back with a half price box of pies, even though we still have 2 boxes unopened. I managed to steer him past all the other reduced stuff, as although the prices had been cut hugely, we really do NOT need all this stuff, especially now none of our children are at home.

For me the best food of the past few days was actually in little Highland village coffee shops, where we stopped off after various walks. There is a new one in Nethy Bridge, the village where my son & d-in-law live. It is called Nethy House and it is absolutely charming, with fabulous scones and cakes, and some pretty, locally-made, crafts. The ladies who run it are all so friendly. As is so often the case in the Highlands, most of them have two or three jobs, so many also work at the outdoor activity centre where Freddie & Naomi are instructors. Everyone knows everyone else, which maybe drives you mad after a few years, but which I, as a city dweller, find quite lovely.

There is a lot of tradition surrounding food for New Year (Hogmanay) in Scotland. The whisky features big time, also shortbread, cranachan, haggis, cock-a-leekie soup and something called black bun. I will be hiding under the duvet with my book - currently Death on the Cherwell by Mavis Doriel Hay.

Rosemary

nlhome

« Reply #144 on: December 30, 2017, 08:51:09 PM »
Never a fan of mincemeat. Pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving,  cookies (anise cookies are a family recipe, they are cutouts made with ground hickory nuts as part of the shortening, that we thought were German but further research suggests perhaps Polish, just know the recipe I have is from my great-grandmother) and fudge for Christmas. And pickled herring for New Year's Eve - not a baked item, but traditional. I forgot to buy it this year.

It's -6 degrees Fahrenheit here this evening, so hot chocolate is what we want.
Did watch the Christmas "Call the Midwife" the other night.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #145 on: December 30, 2017, 10:05:48 PM »
Also watched the Christmas "Call the Midwife" the other night - OK but they have had better on the series - something was missing and not sure what - the explanation of the storm after the show was more riveting to me than the show itself. The Halifax series for me has also lost its punch - so tired of Gillian and all her issues... And Celia is so about Celia so that I do not like watching her.

Looking forward to the next group of shows in "A Place to Call Home" and I love that they brought back the "Detectorists" - quirky and fun.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #146 on: January 01, 2018, 11:35:36 AM »
Couldn’t agree with you more about The Last Tango, Barbara.  I don’t DVR it anymore! Never heard of “The Detectorists”.  Is it on Netflix?

CallieOK

« Reply #147 on: January 01, 2018, 04:21:33 PM »
I also agree about "Last Tango In Halifax".  I really hope it is.......   :D

My PBS station is mostly showing reruns throughout January.  Looks as if the new season of "Victoria" will be the only one I keep up with.  :(

[/HAPPY NEW YEAR AND HAPPY READING, EVERYONE

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #148 on: January 01, 2018, 04:59:41 PM »
Annie do not have netflex so I really do not know --- I wonder if Acorn would have it - have not signed up but considering it.

Yep Callie it appears Victoria is next - does not grab me either - I am sure getting picky in my old age  :D the guy who plays Albert bothers me -

CallieOK

« Reply #149 on: January 01, 2018, 09:34:32 PM »
I thought a new season of Father Brown was supposed to start soon but it isn't listed in my monthly guide.
I do have Netflix but haven't seen any new shows listed there that sound interesting.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #150 on: January 02, 2018, 02:06:59 PM »
That's a good question and the answer apparently is that it doesn't begin on BBC 1 until February 12, but it LOOKS like there's a possibility we can then see the episodes on their website immediately after that. That's what it says, but available to what country, I don't know.  I am sure there's a catch and we can't but maybe Netflix will be on the ball. Father Brown is one of the few series that come here without a year's wait, so maybe we can get it,  or Netflix will, here before too much longer. I'd like to see the new  Channel 4 Great British Bake Off, too,  it's had a lot of viewers in the UK. I can't imagine it without Mary and Sue and Mel, tho.

10 episodes, 10!! NEW Father Brown Episodes!  I can't wait. I wonder what happened to the new Christmas episode, maybe they meant next  Christmas? Or maybe it aired in the UK. I sure do love that show.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09m0xvw

PS: and no, we will NOT see it, February 12 on the BBC One website. I tried to watch one they said was available and when I hit the arrow to view it, here's what they said:

BBC iPlayer only works in the UK. Sorry, it’s due to rights issues.

CallieOK

« Reply #151 on: January 02, 2018, 08:33:22 PM »
I searched for "Father Brown Season 7 America" and found no links even hinting at a start date.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #152 on: January 08, 2018, 07:40:59 PM »
No, (I think it's season 6) but no,  I don't see it either.

I came in to say,  Ann,  that it appears that Penelope Keith's At Her Majesty's Service comes to our local PBS on January 14 at  8 pm. I like her, remember when we went to see her in Chicago? (Was it?) At any rate it looks good. I am going to tape it.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #153 on: January 09, 2018, 03:27:46 AM »
Ginny - do give the new Bake Off a try when it arrives, it is really excellent - and I speak as one who thought it couldn't possibly be any good. The new presenters may take you a little while to get used to, but they are all brilliant. I love Noel Fielding, he's very off the wall (and I think he's reining it in from his usual TV persona!), Sandy Toksvig is very well known on radio and TV here and she's hilarious, and Pru Leith is every bit as good as Mary Berry, but very much her own person, with a very dry wit - and amazing clothes.

I came here to say that we have a new series of Vera, just started on Sunday and as good as ever. If you haven't seen it before, it's about a female detective (played by the always wonderful Brenda Blethyn) in Northumberland. It's based on the books by Anne Cleves.

Last night I watched the first episode of a new Kay Mellor series Girl Friends. It looks promising. It's about three women around the age of 60, played by Miranda Richardson, Zoe Wanamaker and Phyllis Logan (ex Downton Abbey), all very good actresses. Miranda Richardson is the features editor of a glossy magazine run by her partner, who has now decided to replace her with a younger model, both professionally and personally. Wanamaker is the run-down, hard-up single mother to a newly-released ex-prisoner son, with full-time care of his child. Logan is the wife of a chancer - or at least she is for the first few minutes of the first episode. There are lots more complications - typical Mellor - and it's all slightly predictable I suppose, but these three actresses are just fantastic and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens.

Just seen the time and had better get my skates (or snow boots...) on,

Rosemary

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #154 on: January 21, 2018, 07:17:09 AM »
Oh I do like the sound of Girl Friends, Rosemary, thank you for telling us about it, and the Vera.

I would love to see the new Bake Off, and I am so glad that the new team is a good fit, because in the past Paul's forays alone seem to  have not worked out well. There are now available many of the original series from the BBC 1 featuring Paul, Mary, Sue and Mel, on DVD which  we can see here, so perhaps it won't be long before we can see the new Channel 4 ones, too. I love some of those people on the old series, it was so well cast as to contestants.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #155 on: January 31, 2018, 09:58:48 AM »
Just popping in to say our new series of Call the Midwife is fantastic - though my daughter wishes the redhead and the little Welsh nurse were still in it (I think they may return, as references have been made to them). This time we have the introduction of the first black midwife in Poplar - as you can imagine, this brings out all the racist worst in some East Enders. The actress is Charlotte Ritchie. Judy Parfitt, Helen George, Jenny Agutter and Linda Bassett are all still there and all wonderful. Sunday evenings are very good at the moment!

As the series has now just about caught up with my childhood (though I lived in South London, not East) it is interesting to be reminded of life back then - the physical things (like no telephone in the house, no showers - baths only -, and just about all adults smoking) and also the attitudes. I would never call my parents overtly racist, but they would have been quite taken aback if a 'coloured' family had moved into their area (which was very far from smart). 'Unmarried mothers' were hugely disapproved of, only loose women went into the public bar of a pub, and if a woman (other than Mary Quant) wore trousers to work there would have been uproar. I am not a fan of nostalgia - I enjoy this show for its stories and its wonderful characters, but I'm really glad it doesn't show life in the 60s as idyllic; for many it was awful.

Rosemary

nlhome

« Reply #156 on: January 31, 2018, 05:58:25 PM »
I too enjoy Call the Midwife for its stories and characters, and I have been enjoying the times as they advance, including the music. I haven't heard when the latest episodes will hit the states, but I'm ready whenever.

Our local PBS station is showing The Coroner now, plus one mystery set in New Zealand and another in Australia. I enjoy the settings of these stories.

marcie

• Administrator
Re: PBS Masterpiece 2017 - 2018
« Reply #157 on: April 05, 2018, 06:26:09 PM »
Rosemary, I'm watching the current season 7 of Call the Midwife now. The series writers, actors and production are wonderful as usual. I'm enjoying it although, as you say, it's tackling some difficult issues. There is some info on this season at http://www.pbs.org/call-the-midwife/home/

I'm looking forward starting this Sunday to a new crime series called Unforgotten that stars Nicola Walker from Last Tango in Halifax. And a new adaptation of Little Women will begin mid May. See info in the heading at the top of the page. http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=5035.msg314037#msg314037

Frybabe

« Reply #158 on: April 05, 2018, 08:34:50 PM »
I get the feeling I missed the Benedict Cumberbatch program A Child in Time. It is available for online streaming until 4/15. I think I'll watch it tomorrow.

nlhome

« Reply #159 on: April 06, 2018, 11:51:15 AM »
I'm looking forward to the new Masterpiece programs. Our local PBS station has been showing the Brokenwood Mysteries, and I am really enjoying them. My granddaughter watched with me last night, and I apologized for boring her (my husband does not enjoy the show), but she said it was really fun to watch because she had to pay attention closely between the accents and the plot, which moved right along with lots of twists.