Author Topic: PBS Masterpiece 2017  (Read 5356 times)

mabel1015j

Re: PBS Masterpiece 2017
« Reply #120 on: August 10, 2017, 11:54:08 AM »

See the 2017 MASTERPIECE schedule

Let's talk about PBS programs that we enjoy.

UPCOMING

My Mother and Other Strangers
June 18, 2017

Set in Northern Ireland during World War Two, My Mother and Other Strangers follows the fortunes of the Coyne family and their neighbors as they struggle to maintain a normal life after a huge United States Army Air Force (USAAF) airfield, with 4,000 service men and women, lands in the middle of their rural parish.

Grantchester, Season 3
June 18, 2017

James Norton (Happy Valley) stars as the handsome, jazz-loving vicar Sidney Chambers, with Robson Green as his law-enforcement ally, Inspector Geordie Keating, in Grantchester, a mystery series based on the acclaimed novels by James Runcie. When we last left the sleepy village, Sidney faced a moral dilemma: be with the woman he loves, or take the moral high road.

Prime Suspect: Tennison
June 25, 2017

MASTERPIECE dials back the clock to spotlight the influences that turned 22-year-old rookie policewoman Jane Tennison into the savvy, single-minded crime fighter beloved by Prime Suspect viewers. Starring Stefanie Martini (Doctor Thorne) in the iconic role immortalized by Helen Mirren, Prime Suspect: Tennison airs in three riveting 90-minute episodes.

ALREADY DISCUSSED

King Charles III
May 14, 2017

The hit Broadway show King Charles III, starring Tim Pigott-Smith, adapted for television, imagines Prince Charles’ ascension to the throne following Queen Elizabeth’s death.

Dark Angel
May 21, 2017

Starring Downton Abbey‘s Joanne Froggatt, Dark Angel tells the story of Mary Ann Cotton: loving wife, mother, and serial murderer. Faced with abject poverty and an ailing husband, Mary Ann is ruthlessly determined to pursue a better life.

Home Fires, Season 2 - Final Season
April 2 - May 7, 2017

The Final Season of Home Fires follows the women of an English rural village as they are separated from their husbands, fathers, sons and brothers during World War 1 and must forge alliances among their diverse community.

Wolf Hall - Encore Presentation
April 2 - May 7, 2017

An encore presentation of Season 1 from 2015 of Wolf Hall. Adapted from Hilary Mantel’s best-selling Booker Prize-winning novels Wolf Hall and its sequel, Bring Up the Bodies, Wolf Hall follows the complex machinations and back room dealings of accomplished power broker Thomas Cromwell, who must serve king and country while dealing with deadly political intrigue, Henry VIII’s tempestuous relationship with Anne Boleyn, and the religious upheavals of the Protestant reformation.

To Walk Invisible The Bronte Sisters
March 26, 2017 (2 hours)

Written and directed by Sally Wainwright (Happy Valley, Last Tango in Halifax), To Walk Invisible depicts the evolution of secluded, dutiful clergyman’s daughters into authors of the most controversial fiction of the 1840s.

Victoria, Season 1
January 15 - March 5, 2017

A diminutive, neglected teenager is crowned Queen Victoria, who navigates the scandal, corruption, and political intrigues of the Court, and soon rises to become the most powerful woman in the world.

Sherlock, Season 4
January 1 - 15, 2017

Our NJTV public station is showing the Father Brown season starting from season 1, maybe they will be coming to a public tv station near you....... ;)
Jean

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #121 on: August 10, 2017, 12:25:38 PM »
The Father Brown series is on Netflix also.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #122 on: August 10, 2017, 02:08:59 PM »
Oh good, Jean (Mabel)  and  Jean (FlaJean) haha Thank you!

Jean (Mabel) maybe if your PBS station is starting over, ours will, too, right now they are at the end of Season 5, but I lost all my previous recordings when we were overseas, thank you DISH.

And Jean, (FlaJean) thank you also, I  have DVD's of 1-4 already (5 will not be out till later for us in the US) and I can check them against what Netflix has.

I was shocked to see, in looking at a site which had the titles of each episode, how many we in the US (at least so far) are lacking, even if we've bought the DVD's, and I'd like to see them, too.

CallieinOK

« Reply #123 on: August 10, 2017, 05:53:55 PM »
I'm watching "Father Brown" on Netflix.  All 5 seasons are available.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #124 on: August 11, 2017, 01:16:03 PM »
Hi Ginny, and sorry for the late reply - I wasn't avoiding answering your questions, I'm just so tied up with the festivals at the moment; I fight my way through the Old Town, see shows or visit exhibitions that range fro the 5* to the total rubbish, then fight my way back onto a crowded, damp and humid bus (if I'm lucky! ended up walking home yesterday) and as soon as I get in it's reviewing time.  I really don't know how people like Broadway Baby do it (though I've met the woman behind that and she is truly terrifying).

Yesterday I went to a very interesting panel discussion organised by the Network of Independent Critics - one of the speakers was none other than Lyn Gardner, longtime theatre critic of The Guardian. She was nothing like I had expected - very down to earth and self-deprecating, but also full of ideas and knowledge. She said - 'why do we do it?' Because we are filled with enthusiasm for something and we want to share it' - I found this so true. I hate giving anyone a bad review, so if (as happened this afternoon) I see a terrible production I tend not to review it at all. I know that's a cop-out, but I always feel - and especially with the Fringe - that these poor people have worked so hard, and often spent so much money to get here and stay here, that it would be mean to lay into them.

The awful thing about the panel session was that only about ten of us turned up. What a colossal waste - as well as Lyn Gardner, there was the former theatre critic, now turned director, of The Times, a lady who works in circus and holds several academic posts in performance arts, an actress who has become a critic, and a critic who has written a book about how to review theatre.  I don't review much theatre, I prefer books and art, but it was all still so interesting. This was a FREE session put on by the Fringe itself, but they are such a shambles that they never advertise things properly. If the same session had been run at the Book Festival (which opens tomorrow) they would have charged £12 per ticket and it would have been sold out.  There is a second session next week - I hope they market that a bit better.

Anyway - you asked about Mad Men. Both Madeleine and I thought it was absolutely fantastic - great story, with lots of little subplots, but more  importantly so much about social and political history of the US, about sexism, homophobia, racism, the Kennedy years, religion, women's gradual rise in the workplace. It is so nuanced and clever, and the acting is just outstanding. Elisabeth Moss and Christina Hendricks are fabulous, but so is just about everyone, there are no duds in the entire series. I do recommend it.

As for the Royals, I will probably be shot down in flames for this, as I know Americans are said to love them, but to me (and to my family, including my 90 year old mother) they are a bunch of over-priviliged, overpaid freeloaders. They cost the country a fortune, they contribuute very little, they don't even pay tax. There! Now I will go and hide in the basement (or would if I had one...)

There has just been a controversial programme on TV here about Diana, with a lot of video footage taken by a voice coach she employed to improve her public speaking after she was divorced. She seems to have been exceedingly frank with this man and told him all sorts of very intimate things about her marriage. She attracts a great deal of sympathy in the UK, but by then she was an expert in playing the media, she knew exactly how to work the victim image. It is of course very sad indeed that she died as she did, but that marriage was a disaster on both sides. I believe that Charles is so weird because of his upbringing - my mother says he was a sensitive child who was deprived of love, and who was sent away to an extremely harsh boarding school at a young age. And imagine having anything less than the hide of a rhinocerus and having Philip as a father! He was told he had to find a virgin to marry so that he could produce an heir. Mrs Parker Bowles was completely off limits. If he had just married her in the first place none of this would have happened. I think the court establishment has a lot to answer for; it is an unstoppabe juggernaut of tradition - though it does seem to have loosened up a bit in the younger generation. It will be interesting to see if Harry is allowed to marry Meghan whatever her name is.

Anyway - those are my thoughts!

Madeleine has a bar job for the festival which involves her being out very late at night, so I have been watching TV on my own. I didn't want to continue with the series we are both watcing so I dug out the DVD of Murder One, which I found in a charity shop. We had watched this when it first came out many years ago but we missed the last episode and never found out what happened!  I must say that so far it is every bot as good as I remembered it - though it's hard to accept that Stanley Tucci is one of the baddies when we are all still madly in love with him from The Devil Wears Prada and Julie & Julia!

And now I'd better actually do a review...

Rosemary

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Life is finding the magic that makes our soul soar
    • Two Sisters and a Hound!
« Reply #125 on: August 12, 2017, 11:16:58 AM »
Absolutely NOTHING on PBS tonight or this entire weekend - everything is music and I like country music as much as anyone but these shows I have already seen over and over again - nothing and next week there is a nod to the usual. However, interesting there is a new Endeavor season 4, that will be featured and then thank goodness, our local station has already announced they are cutting the fund drive off early so it is really just this weekend because the regulars will not be back next weekend but the shows chosen will be at least from the genre we are more used to on a Saturday and Sunday night. Well small blessings, there will be no competition keeping me from seeing the stars tonight... 

rosemarykaye

« Reply #126 on: August 12, 2017, 12:55:55 PM »
Barb, sometimes it is nice to 'see the stars' isn't it?  In the middle of all the rushing about for our festivals, I went this afternoon to the tiny St Vincent Chapel for a choral evensong. So peaceful.

I hope you have a good evening,

Rosemary

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #127 on: August 12, 2017, 02:47:43 PM »
Rosemary, thank you for that answer. Yes that is the "Diana  Tapes" to which I referred earlier.

I did not know that the Royal Family does not pay taxes.  And there are so many of them!  I guess they are one of the few remaining  monarchies we in the US know the most about. Now the new  " The Crown" episodes are now being advertised in teasers, the   time skipped ahead to the Kennedy era.  That should be something. The Philip character is especially interesting and they say he will get more and more prominence as the series progresses.

Lucky  you with all those festivals to go to and exciting things to hear and see!  Exciting, to say the least. Loved your account of the panel. I like panels, you get such a wide range of good opinion. At least when one person doesn't dominate.  Hope the next one is better publicized. I loved  your having to walk home, tho I doubt you did, so how I think of the UK, so  Bill Bryson-ish.  There is nothing within walking distance of me, but you  in the UK are famous for walking a lot farther than I would ever consider. He seems to think nothing (or did, perhaps when  younger)  of walking incredible distances and then back home again. We do NOT walk enough in this country, or I don't, for sure.  Too far out and then how would one get back unless one called somebody to pick one up.

We don't have "Broadway Baby" here in the US, although strangely enough, Broadway is here. I did look her up but was not familiar with the subjects currently being reviewed. So I learned something.

Based on your recommendation I'm going to watch the first few episodes of Mad Men and see for myself.  Everybody talks about it but I've never seen it.

Thank  you for all the above.  (Stanley Tucci is always good, always glad to see him in anything.)

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #128 on: August 13, 2017, 07:14:48 PM »
Oh PBS here has just aired the  wonderful Christmas Father Brown episode called The Star of Jacob, it's priceless. I hope those of you who like Father Brown can get to see it.

Annie

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #129 on: August 15, 2017, 03:06:44 PM »
So how did you see it now?  Seems like it would be shown later in the season! Is that the one with all the different animals?
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

CallieinOK

« Reply #130 on: August 15, 2017, 03:27:10 PM »
On my Netflix,  "The Star of Jacob" is the first episode in Season 5 of Father Brown.   

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #131 on: November 29, 2017, 11:18:11 AM »
He's coming  back!! Father Brown has an entire new season, Season 6,  starting in January 2018~!!

Annie, yes, that Christmas special was  the  one with the animals, and Callie is right, it's the first show of Season 5, which is last years,  which, despite the absolutely priceless beginning Christmas special and the fantastic end with Flambeau  I thought  was the weakest series of the lot. 

I think my favorite episode of all of 5 series  was The Crackpot of the Empire but I don't know why?

Mark Williams on Season 6 on the Father Brown Facebook Page:

"Great news for the most-watched BBC1 daytime drama series – Father Brown Series 6 will be released in January 2018 (pending the exact premiere date announcement) and it will be preceded by a Christmas Special that was just announced to air on, well obviously – around Christmas, but we will notify you as soon as the exact date and time are set. Stay tuned for the latest news!"

YAY!  I absolutely love this series, some of the episodes are super,   some not, but Mark Williams absolutely shines along with Sorcha Cusack and how I miss "Lady Felicia" and "Sid," tho,  hopefully they can make some guest appearances. Nothing against the young woman who plays "Bunty," just miss the others.

"Flambeau" is perfect, isn't he?  My favorite treat of the past year has been watching these, all 5 seasons.  And our local PBS station, in fact two of them, are rerunning all of them, but not in order which is confusing, but better than nothing at all.

What an antidote to the news.

Did you know their budget on this show  is such that despite being such a hit they have to film in whatever weather presents itself? That's not fake rain, that's the real thing. Just endears the show to me that much more.

So now we have an entire brand new Christmas special to look forward to  this Christmas and a new season which I hope our PBS will pick up and show.

HO HO HO!!

rosemarykaye

« Reply #132 on: December 01, 2017, 11:15:31 AM »
Hi all

Not sure if I already mentioned that we are enjoying a new adaptation of EM Forster's Howard's End? Matthew Macfadyen plays Mr Wilcox and Hayley Attwell Margaret Schlegel, but my two favourites are Philippa Coulthard as Helen Schlegel and Joseph Quinn as Leonard Bast. I hope you get it on PBS, it's well worth watching.

Rosemary