Archives & Readers' Guides > Archives of Book Discussions

Hidden Figures ~ Margot Lee Shetterly ~ April Book Club Online

(1/23) > >>

BooksAdmin:
The Book Club Online is the oldest  book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and  enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  Everyone is welcome.

April Book Club Online

Hidden Figures

by Margot Lee Shetterly

Their work was crucial to the Space Program, but nobody knew their names.  Join us as we learn the true story of these Black women mathematicians.

Schedule:

Apr. 1-7      Prologue, Chapters 1-6
Apr. 8-14    Chapters 7-12
Apr. 15-21  Chapters 13-18
Apr. 22-28  Chapters 19-23, epilogue

Discussion Leaders: PatH and Annie

PatH:
Welcome, everyone.  This is an amazing story, and I'm really looking forward to sharing it with you.  How little I knew at the time what was going on behind the scenes!  What about you?  What do you remember?

ANNIE:
The story is, previously, unknown history!  And quite a surprise. How could these "computers" (women, black and white) have accomplished so many important tasks for NASA and no one told the world?  I hope "Hidden Figures" piques your interest and you will join us on April 1st.

Frybabe:
It doesn't look like I will have a copy of Hidden Figures for the discussion - but - I am about a chapter into Rocket Girls... which encompasses all the women going all the way back to JPL's predecessor at Cal Tech. JPL was under the US Army's wing until it was transferred to the newly created NASA in 1958. I expect to see some of the same people that you will run across in Hidden Figures.

PatH:
Welcome, Frybabe, I hope you will come in even without the book.  There will be plenty of issues to talk about.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version