Author Topic: Latin Classes Information: 2017  (Read 1064 times)

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
Latin Classes Information: 2017
« on: April 04, 2017, 01:10:25 PM »
LATIN CLASSES INFORMATION

Have you always wanted to learn Latin but thought it was too late? Or did you take it years ago, remember it fondly, and wish you could enjoy it again?

We currently offer Latin classes at many different levels, and we have much more information about the Latin classes on the following pages here at SeniorLearn.  Even though our classes are not visible to the public, you can click on each of the links below and be taken right to the classics part of this website.

Classics page:  http://www.seniorlearn.org/classics

Courses description page:  COURSES DESCRIPTION

If you wish to be notified when enrollment opens for the Sept. 2018-May 2019 classes, please either post below or email janeiowaLatin@gmail.com

Although our classes are offered for enjoyment, some students are eligible to take the National Latin Exam.   We are very proud of our students--those who took the test and those who didn't. They all exemplify a love of lifelong learning, and achievement. You can read about it all here: 
www.seniorlearn.org/classics/awards/latinexamawards.html

You might want to come to our discussions area and join in any of our book discussions.  It will help you become familiar with the website and how posting is done, etc.

Ask any questions you have below.

Click here for Main Index Page

"I am still amazed on a daily basis that an opportunity like this is available. Although I suppose it's theoretically possible to study Latin on your own, I know I couldn't make it very far without this kind of supported environment, most importantly having such quality teaching! Having your explanations, your kind corrections of our mistakes, your encouragement -- it's really as close to being in an actual classroom as I can imagine."---Christy, Latin student at SeniorLearn.

jane
Registrar~Latin
janeiowaLatin@gmail.com

jane

• Administrator
Re: Latin Classes Information: 2017
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 01:11:20 PM »
Thank you for your interest in Latin!!  Please ask any questions below about enrolling, etc.  I'm not the Instructor of the classes. That's our Ginny.  I just handle the enrollment.

Enrollment for 2017 will begin in mid to late July. The classes begin in early Sept.  There is an Orientation, as explained above, for new students a week or so before classes begin.

jane

Jenell

• #
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 06:31:57 PM »
Hi Jane,

I haven't heard from you since last fall, I think. That must mean you've kept the website going along nicely. Thanks!

I will want to know when enrollment opens up for the next class I should take. If this was Intro then, Latin 1, I think.  I am also hoping to joining the reading group for summer that Ginny mentioned, and I understand that you are the Go-To  person for that, as well.

Thank you, have a lovely weekend,
Jenell

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 07:42:44 PM »
Enrollment will open in mid to late July and class will begin Sept. 11.

At the time of enrollment we'll let you know which class level will follow what you've completed.  The fee for next year is $50.00 to help cover an increase in website fees. 

I'll add you to the Summer Reading group now.  I'll email the link to you.

Jane

KathyR

• ^
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 02:44:27 PM »
Can you please notify me when enrollment begins for your beginning Latin class?  Thank you.
KathyR

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2017, 03:57:31 PM »
Hi, Kathy,
 I'll send you an email with info about the classes, the text needed, when enrollment will begin, etc.  It'll be coming from this email address:   janeiowaLatin@gmail.com

I'll be delighted to add you to my notification list. 

jane

Leseur

• ^^^
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2017, 12:52:21 PM »
Jane, I would like to be notified when it's time to enroll for the beginner Latin class in September.
Thank you, Regina

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2017, 04:17:05 PM »
I will be notifying you in about two weeks, Regina.  The email will come from janeiowaLatin@gmail.com so please add that to your contacts so you have it if you have any questions.  If you don't get the email, and they do sometimes go astray, check back here and I'll have the link info up.

We're delighted you're going to be joining us.

If you haven't found this site yet, you'll find the cost, the text you'll need and info about the classes here:

http://www.seniorlearn.org/classics/courses/descriptions.html

Chrissel

• ^
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2017, 03:16:10 PM »
Can you please let me know when enrollment opens for this fall?

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2017, 07:31:40 PM »
Yes, I will.  That will be next week.  I'll email you some preliminary information now, so you're all set for next week.

Mari

• ^
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2017, 12:42:11 AM »
May I also be notified when enrollment opens; and could you send me the preliminary info, as well?  Thanks!

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2017, 02:54:50 PM »
Hi, Mari,
 There's an email on the way to you...look for an email from janeiowaLatin@gmail.com

sometimes they go to a person's spam folder.

jane

Petrus

• ^^^
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2017, 08:32:08 AM »
Hi Jane,

I believe I'm all signed up, registered, with book in hand. So looking forward to this course. Thanks to you and all the SeniorLearn staff for making this possible.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2017, 10:09:11 AM »
Hi,
 I don't find your enrollment at our site.  Please go here and enroll, so I know which Latin 101 class you prefer.  We have received your PayPal payment.  I'll email you as well.

Latin Enrollment for 101:  https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/ZTSGX7F

Petrus

• ^^^
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2017, 03:26:39 PM »
Got it. Sorry for the trouble.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2017, 05:58:16 PM »
Not a problem...glad you found it and enrolled.  Email on the way.

craigpoff

• ^^^
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2017, 04:50:22 PM »
I just "discovered" the Course, by on line search, and have registered and am sending in my fee.  I chuckled as I already owned Cambridge Latin Course, Unit 1, North American 4th edition, from the SEVERAL false start attempts to learn on my own, or learn using streaming videos, You Tube things, etc.   I confess I need the discipline of a scheduled twice weekly class with homework, etc.   I DO hope there is enough interest for a late afternoon or early evening section as, still working full time, mornings won't work for me. 

I await further instructions, look forward to the Orientation in several weeks and actually getting started.   

Craig
Beaufort, South Carolina
Craig Joseph Poff, Esq.
www.pofflawoffice.com
Beaufort, South Carolina
Certified Family Court Mediator

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2017, 06:22:24 PM »
Hi, Craig,
I'll be in contact as soon as I get over to the enrollment area.  Watch for an email from

janeiowaLatin@gmail.com

That's the email we use for all Latin correspondence while enrolling.  I think we have plenty to have the late afternoon/early evening class!  ;)

jane

Poppaea

• --
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2017, 08:06:44 PM »
Hi Jane: I cannot find where exactly I must register - will it be class 103 with Agrippina et al -  you did inform me earlier but I cannot get back to the place. I shall also be sending in my $50.00 registration fee. Poppeia (formerly Hepeskin ). I am sorry to be such a bother. Heather

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2017, 07:59:09 PM »
Enrollment is now closed for the 2017-2018.  Anyone wanting to be notified when enrollment opens next mid July for the 2018-2019 academic year can post below.

jane

youetb

• ^^^^
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2017, 05:00:12 PM »
Jane, I think I sent an email to you earlier, not sure if it actually went :-\   I am very interested in the Latin 101 class.  If I have missed enrollment for this September, PLEASE let me enroll for September 2018.
I hope I am at the correct place to notify you
Thank you
Nancy

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2017, 07:17:12 PM »
I sent you an email 2 hours ago at 3:34.  It came from janeiowaLatin@ gmail.com

Did you not get it? I'll resend it again.  It has the links for you to enroll.

Please check for an email from janeiowaLatin@gmail.com and make sure it's not in your spam folder.

Post here if you don't get that one.

jane

mctier

• ^
  • Vive! Ama! Ride!
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2017, 02:49:00 PM »
Salve Jane,

Please accept me in Latin 101. I tried to register but the class was closed. I paid thru pay pal & have my book

Thanks,

Char McTier
🌺McTier
Cogito, ergo sum

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2017, 04:01:36 PM »
OK...let me go find your email and get the info to you, Mctier.

andy$01

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2017, 01:08:24 PM »
Hi,

Just came across your site yesterday and I am interested in registering for the next class.  I know I missed this registration period, but while I wait, is there anything thing I can do (books, guides, audio programs, etc..) to give me a head start while I wait? 

My main interest is in learning to read the Latin inscriptions and text at the various museums, monuments, churches, during my travels abroad.

Thanks,

Andrew

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2017, 05:33:56 PM »
Hi, Andrew...

I got your email and I've forwarded it on to Ginny.  She uses the 4th edition because it is readily available at a reasonable cost. 

I'll see if she has some other suggestions for you.  She's at Furman Univ. all day today teaching face-to-face classes there, so it may be tomorrow or Friday before she can get to the email.

jane

andy$01

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2017, 09:55:56 PM »
Thanks,

Andrew