Archives & Readers' Guides > Old Discussions

The Library

(1/217) > >>

BooksAdmin:

The Library

Our library cafe is open 24/7, the welcome mat is  always out.
Do come in from the wind and rain and join us.

We look forward to hearing from you, about you and the books you are enjoying (or not).

Let the book talk begin here!

Everyone is welcome!
 Suggestion Box for Future Discussions

jane:
Welcome to our new Library spot!

jane

fureteur:
I wonder if there would be any interest in discussing the Alexandria Quartet by the English author, Lawrence Durrell?  The Quartet is composed of four different novels, Justine, Balthazar, Mountolive and Clea which are set in Alexandria, Egypt during the thirties, as I recall, and the collection is a tale of love in the twentieth century, although not the kind of romantic love those unfamiliar with Durrell's work might think.  As I recall, Durrell's first publisher declined to publish the Quartet, concerned that it would not be accepted by the general public and would be deemed too sexually explicit and permissive for the time, the early sixties, as I remember.

The stories are powerful in their narrative and the reader's attention is required throughout the series as the conflicts and potent emotions of the principals is woven by the author.

What is fascinating to me about the author is that in addition to the The Quartet he also wrote some of the most delightful caricatures of the English diplomatic service in some short stories, including Stiff Upper Lip, Bitter Lemons and Esprit de Corps, quick, easy reads which are delightful and it's a something of a surprise that these tales came from the same author.

maryz:
Thanks for cleaning up our "Library", jane.  It looks great!

Babi:
Just claiming my seat in the Library.   :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version