Author Topic: The Library  (Read 141598 times)

ALF43

Re: The Library ~ NEW
« Reply #80 on: May 28, 2009, 09:31:07 AM »

The Library

Our library cafe is open 24/7, the welcome mat is  always out.
Do come in from the wind and rain and join us.

We look forward to hearing from you, about you and the books you are enjoying (or not).

Let the book talk begin here!

Everyone is welcome!

Suggestion Box for Future Discussions

WINSUMM-
carol goodmans first novel,Think, is THE LAKE OF DEAD LANQUAGES an d her primary character is a Latin teacher. . ., so is the the one in the book we will be discussing NIGHT VILLA. it's very good.

No the protoganist, Latin teacher, in Dead Languages was named Jane Hudson.  In the Night Villa it is Sophie Chase.
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #81 on: May 28, 2009, 10:21:19 AM »
MaryZ, I don't think those were nit-picky concerns about the book at.  I mean, if you can't tell the boys from the girls or a straight line from a circle?  You all would get along well with my brother, who once wrote the Chicago Tribune because they had used the term grade instead of incline (or maybe it was incline instead of grade -- I can't remember the definitions of either.)

I remember TV from my college years.  It sure wasn't in the dorms.  The only places you find TVs were the frat houses.  And every Saturday it was George Gobel.  I really disliked that show.

How things have changed.

marjifay

« Reply #82 on: May 28, 2009, 11:35:58 AM »
OMG, Pedln, I loved George Gobel.  As they say tho', to each his own.

I couldn't finish The Night Villa.  It seemed to me it could have been shortened a lot, and I found it repetitive.  And I was disappointed because I was an anthropology major in college.
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

mabel1015j

« Reply #83 on: May 28, 2009, 02:10:29 PM »
Just finished "Cane River," a wonderful, wonderful story written by a woman who left her job at MicroSun to research her family history in Louisiana. Altho she writes a fiction story, she uses her family history from ancestors who were slaves to her grandmother in the 20th century and includes actual pictures of the people she is writing about. It's a story of 5 generations of amazing women, each of whom strategizes as to how to keep their families surviving and prospering both before and after being slaves.................i highly recommend it...........jean

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #84 on: May 28, 2009, 06:33:13 PM »
Another Kindle article -- this one from today's NY Times.  Good points and bad points and some things that we might want to watch for or wait for.  But it sounds like everyone who has one really likes it.

One thing this article mentions  -- for a small fee  you can download material from your computer.   That's the first I've heard that.

More on the Kindle

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #85 on: May 28, 2009, 06:36:31 PM »
Marjifay, do stay with us for the discussion of NIght Villa, even if you don't care to finish it.  Carol Goodman will be there and she will no doubt offer some insight into why she wrote it as she did.  Plus, the others of us who will be posting will want to hear your comments and views.

EvelynMC

« Reply #86 on: May 28, 2009, 06:38:00 PM »
BarbStAubrey,

Thanks for the link to the older couple playing music in a lobby at the Mayo Clinic.  It was cute---very refreshing and entertaining.

Evelyn

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #87 on: May 28, 2009, 07:45:51 PM »
Marjifay, I did know you were an anthropologist, how exciting. What's the latest thought on Margaret Meade?

Barbara, thank you for that video of the 90 year olds, they are more spry than I am. hahahaa

Twitter is in the news every day, you can't even keep up with references to it. We're now talking cell phone conversations  and texting in there, do join in if you like, just click on the Discussion Index on the top of every page on SeniorLearn (under the flower)  so you can see what we offer. Just today Regis (no I don't watch the program normally but the tv was left on when my husband went to work) was complaining about trying to get in an elevator to go up to a party and the woman in front of him was texting.

USA Today just ran a half page article on Rogue's Gallery, the story of the Metropolitan Museum of Art behind the scenes, I'm really enjoying it.

I'm really proud of the group assembling for The Night Villa, there are 24 people there,  one on the way  in,  from 4 countries, that's pretty darn good for a fledgling site. I'm proud of us.  This is going to be a super discussion.

Now if all 24 will not be shy and will speak constantly we'll be in business. Devoutly to be wished.. :)  What didn't you like about the book, Marjifay? You are welcome, too, as Pedln said.

Everyone is welcome!

Gumtree

« Reply #88 on: May 29, 2009, 03:34:38 AM »

Ginny  WOW! 24 people from 4 countries for the Night Villa discussion - and the author to boot!  That's wonderful - congratulations
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

Steph

« Reply #89 on: May 29, 2009, 07:49:07 AM »
Yes, I do remember changing the tv by hand. As a matter of fact, we had black and white and hand changing throught the beginning of the 70's.. as well as the beginning of HBO, which showed a movie maybe twice a night. We used to treat it like a regular movie.. Make popcorn, gather the boys and sit down like a regular show. Amazing how life changes.
When my parents first got their tv, I was a young teen and not much interested. My brother loved it though and was a Howdy Doody fan , etc. I was into horse shows and boys and that kept me really busy at that point. I actually was married before I watched much tv at all.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #90 on: May 29, 2009, 08:36:15 AM »
Same for me, Steph!  We didn't even own a TV when I was living at home.  My grandparents had one the size of a postage stamp, black and white.  My grandfather watched baseball on it and I have been told that my grandparents liked to watch the "wrestling matches"???  Good grief!  I think they were sports fans!  Probably football games in the fall.
I do remember George Gobels later after I had children.
Here's a joke that someone emailed me.

An email that I received:

The $2.99 Special
We went to breakfast at a restaurant where the 'seniors' special' was two eggs, bacon, hash browns and toast for $2.99.
  'Sounds good,' my wife said. 'But I don't want the eggs.'
  'Then, I'll have to charge you three dollars and forty-nine cents because you're ordering a la carte,' the waitress warned her.
  'You mean I'd have to pay for not taking the eggs?' my wife asked incredulously.
  'YES!!' stated the waitress.
  'I'll take the special then,' my wife said.
  'How do you want your eggs?' the waitress asked.

'Raw and in the shell,' my wife replied.
  She took the two eggs home and baked a cake.

DON'T MESS WITH SENIORS!!!
  WE'VE been  around the block more than once!
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

Frybabe

« Reply #91 on: May 29, 2009, 09:32:12 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D

marjifay

« Reply #92 on: May 29, 2009, 12:01:59 PM »
I bought my first TV in the the early 1950s when I moved into an apartment after graduation from high school.  I drove my roommates nuts because I was obsessed with watching the Army-McCarthy Hearings. 

Loved the eggs story, Annie.  Reminded me of the classic restaurant scene in the film "Five Easy Pieces" with Jack Nicholson, which I re-watch every so often.
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

Babi

« Reply #93 on: May 29, 2009, 05:43:24 PM »
 Hey, I'll have to remember that one, ANNIE.  ;) 
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #94 on: May 29, 2009, 09:26:21 PM »
Annie, I just copied that and sent if off to a bunch of folks.  It'll make their day.  Now, what's the solution for those places that insist they can only sever THREE egg omlets.

Steph

« Reply #95 on: May 30, 2009, 09:45:09 AM »
Annie, Oh, I love the joke.. Always nice to have a smile to start the day. Been to Panera for my bagel fix on Saturdays.. I do love bagels, but stick to cereal during the week trying to work on the fiber nonsense.

mrssherlock

« Reply #96 on: May 30, 2009, 12:51:41 PM »
Myfavorite restaurant scene is in When Harry Met Sally and concludes with the director's mother, playing another restaurant patron, says, "I'll have what she's having" referring to Sally.  Although the Jack Nicholson scene is good, more like the egg lady above.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

marjifay

« Reply #97 on: May 30, 2009, 03:59:23 PM »
Yes, Jackie, that was a terrific scene in a great movie.  I didn't know that lady in the restaurant was Rob Reiner's mother.

By the way Billy Crystal did a terrific song and dance routine on the
Jay Leno show the other night.  I didn't recognize who he was until someone mentioned his name.  Darn, why does everyone have to get old?

Babi

« Reply #98 on: May 31, 2009, 09:02:19 AM »
 Speaking of getting old, I was noticing Maggie, our cat, the other day. As cats go, she is as old as I am, if not older. Yet she remains as gorgeous as ever. Now I ask you, is that fair?   :'(
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Steph

« Reply #99 on: May 31, 2009, 09:58:35 AM »
My cats once they hit 12 or so both got strange. I suspect a stroke for one of them. He seemed to be convinced he no longer lived at our house and you had to be careful to make sure he did not wander. The other one decided litter boxes were for the birds.. I was not a happy camper with either of them.. Once they went, have not done the cat thing. Always have dogs, but no longer any cats..or birds or fish. etc. Dogs travel in the rv with no problems.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #100 on: May 31, 2009, 09:59:18 AM »
What great and far reaching conversations here! I had no idea that the lady in the  movie was Rob Reiner's mother, either, she was cute!

Do any of you get the Bas Bleu catalog? Desperate for some reading material I started reading the book blurbs and here are tons of books I never heard of, all of which look good! I love their reviews. It's a fabulous catalog in print but here it is online: http://www.basbleu.com/

Several of those look as if they would make a great discussion.

I'm reading Ayun Halliday's book No Touch Monkey!

It's about a different kind of travel than I do, backpacking, somewhat filthily, through Europe. It's an eye opener, she leaves nothing to the imagination, not the way I want to or would travel, but I'm not in my young 20's any more, and it's fascinating to see the "tricks" that they use to avoid paying hotel rooms etc.

So far it's pretty amazing, actually.

Haven't gotten to the monkey part and almost did not buy it because there's a monkey with teeth on the cover. I absolutely hate monkeys, just despise them. And the feeling is returned. That great ape in the Philadelphia zoo, the famous one, when I went to see it as a child, (it's now deceased) took one look at me and literally THREW itself against the glass, I'll never forget it: darn good thing it was bulletproof glass or whatever. I hate the nasty things.

Picking fleas off each other and eating them, EEEEUUUUUUU!

This latest thing with the...what kind of monkey was it recently in the news  which attacked the friend's face, she's suffered unimaginable damage, hate the things.

So I may have to dance around that chapter but the list or rules i about dealing with the monkeys in some country (Bali? Tibet?)  is absolutely hilarious, and worth looking at the book. They would not have to tell ME twice.

UGGGGG

mrssherlock

« Reply #101 on: May 31, 2009, 10:29:30 AM »
Ginny:  I hate to be a nit-picker, BUT it was a chimpanzee that bit the lady's face, not a monkey. 
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #102 on: May 31, 2009, 12:10:59 PM »
AH! There's a difference? (Now we see the ignorance born of disgust inherent in the system). To paraphrase Monty Python.

Steph

« Reply #103 on: June 01, 2009, 07:45:27 AM »
Bas Bleu is always fun.. I generally get a few books a year from them. I love the great apes. Not smaller monkeys, but gorillas are so fascinating. Their faces are always so very sad.
Came all primed for Night Villa and the discussion is not up yet.. Sigh.. I really really like the book and was so good about not reading past 112 and that was really hard.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #104 on: June 01, 2009, 09:12:29 AM »
Stephanie, it,  as you now know, is up, we just didn't start a new discussion for it but continued where we were since there is so much good stuff in the pre discussion. That happens sometimes.

It actually went up last night,  good to see you in there.

Babi

« Reply #105 on: June 01, 2009, 09:14:10 AM »
 I've always been fascinated by the Chimpanzees.  They are so intelligent, hilarious cut-ups, and so able to show emotion in their faces and gestures.
They can apparently be quite affectionate and want other creatures to hug and keep company.
  I am waiting for the return of 'Night Villa' to my daughter's branch library, so she can bring it to me.  It is already overdue, and whoever has it seems in no
hurry to bring it back.  I will have to read fast once I get my hands on it.

mrssherlock

« Reply #106 on: June 01, 2009, 01:28:09 PM »
I am in love with Mad Dash by Patricia Gaffney.  You've got to love someone who, being named Dorothy, rejects "Dot" in favor of "Dash".  She's definitely high maintenance but life with her would be so much fun that you wouldn't mind.  What is it like to wear her skin?  Ah, there's the rub.  No one can see the invisible structure that sustains Dash until she loses it all.  When she begins to question who she is.  Sounds banal but believe me Dash is not in the least banal.  I would love to discuss this book. 
Jackie

Steph

« Reply #107 on: June 02, 2009, 08:03:27 AM »
Found Night Villa...Hooray. What a lovely book it is.. Will look for some others by her.
It finally stopped raining in Florida. We had a solid week to 10 days of rain sometimes twice a day. We are just fine, living in a slightly higher part of Florida, but the beaches were drenched.

mabel1015j

« Reply #108 on: June 03, 2009, 12:43:51 PM »
I'm reading Circle of Three by Patricia Gaffney - enjoying it..............and just finished Cynthia Riggs The Cemetary Yew, a mystery and have started the series Death on Demand by Carolyn Hart..............all good....................jean

Steph

« Reply #109 on: June 03, 2009, 01:07:46 PM »
Death on Demand are fun because of the many mentions of all sorts of mystery authors and books.. Sometimes they get a bit too cute.. but it is still a nice series.

Deems

« Reply #110 on: June 03, 2009, 03:29:24 PM »

Marjifay--I loved the McCarthy hearings.  My parents had just gotten their first TV.  I was in 9th grade and I watched the hearings obsessively.  Later, I watched the Watergate hearings obsessively.  It's all so interesting to me--real reality TV!

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #111 on: June 03, 2009, 06:50:21 PM »
Deems and Marjifay,  I grew up in Wisconsin, living with my mother and aunt and uncle.  My uncle thought McCarthy walked on water, I kid you not.  And what did I know, until I grew up a little.

And went off to college and the summer after my freshman year visited an aunt and uncle in Washington DC.  I went to the McCarthy hearings, taking along my 45 rpm recording of Stan Freborg's "Point of Order" and asked McCarthy to autograph it, which he graciously did.

(That's Freborg's parody of the hearings, with many "point of orders" throughout.)  I've often wondered what happened to that little disc, but it most likely went to the great beyond after an attack of children's toybox.

Deems

« Reply #112 on: June 03, 2009, 07:52:41 PM »

pedln--

Cool story about the record and the autograph.  From what I've read, not at the time of the hearings, but much later, McCarthy was an alcoholic and quite unpredictable.  Good thing he didn't decide to eat you for breakfast!

marjifay

« Reply #113 on: June 03, 2009, 09:31:48 PM »
Deems and Pedln, I'm happy to hear I wasn't the only person enthralled with the McCarthy hearings.  I would have given anything to have been able to attend the hearings, Pedln.  And I loved Stan Freberg! Had almost forgotten him.

I was also fascinated with the Watergate hearings.  And the hearings for Judges Robert Bork and Clarence Thomas. Talk about drama!  Yes, that was reality TV that kept me glued to the set.

By the way, Joe Biden's autobiography, PROMISES TO KEEP, has a very interesting chapter on the Bork hearings.  Biden was Chairman of the Judiciary Committee and very instrumental in keeping Bork off the Supreme Court, thank goodness.  (Of course, I'm a Democrat)  I found Biden's book fascinating to read about his long years on the Senate.

CallieOK

« Reply #114 on: June 03, 2009, 10:20:48 PM »
Death on Demand are fun because of the many mentions of all sorts of mystery authors and books.. Sometimes they get a bit too cute.. but it is still a nice series.

That's why I didn't care for the Death On Demand series. I got bogged down in the lists.

I really liked the Henry O series, though - maybe because Henry (a/k/a Henrietta) is "our age".

BTW, Carolyn Hart is an Oklahoma author!  

Steph

« Reply #115 on: June 04, 2009, 08:12:51 AM »
I was obsessed with the Clarence Thomas hearings because all of those males had no intention of believing her. I was horrified and still am at his selection. I consider the court to be the best and the brightest and just now they arent..
MDH and I disagree on the court. He simply will not consider the many years of decisions pertaining to slavery, etc. that were wrong. I truly believe the court needs to be composed of all the disparate elements in the US.. He doesnt see that white male dominated is a problem. Oh well..

Babi

« Reply #116 on: June 04, 2009, 08:13:58 AM »
 I loathe the entire genre of 'reality' shows.  The whole concept of the 'Survival' series is off-kilter, to me.  It just promotes a cut-throat 'me first' view of life.
In actuality, human survival has always depended on co-operation,  people working together and helping one another through crises.  If these contenders really were on a desert island, the 'last man standing' would simply be stranded there alone.

mrssherlock

« Reply #117 on: June 04, 2009, 09:58:49 AM »
Babi: Put me down onyour side about Reality shows.  I wonder how long their popularity will last as we go through these troublibng times.  My life has more than enough Reality to suit me and I haven't lost a job, had my pension cut off, had my medical care cancelled, etc.  I lost my money,(1/3) in the dot.com bust but there's enough left that I can support not only myself but my two adult children who can't find jobs.  Of course I don't take cruises, my car is now 10 years old, and there are days when we are rounding up all our change to buy milk or cat food or some other necessity. 
Jackie

Deems

« Reply #118 on: June 04, 2009, 11:15:51 AM »

Just to clarify--I agree with those who don't like "reality" shows like "Survivor."  They're not for me either.  But I have enjoyed all the hearings I've watched.  I saw the Bork hearings too, Marjifay and also didn't think that Anita Hill had a chance in getting all those men to believe her during the Clarence Thomas hearings.  I thought she was telling the truth, but then I was no doubt influenced by having colleagues who had experienced sexual coercion in the workplace.  I think it happens less now, but am sure it still exists.

marjifay

« Reply #119 on: June 04, 2009, 01:02:49 PM »
Yes, Deems, I thought Anita Hill was telling the truth about Clarence Thomas.  I couldn't see why she'd put herself thru all that embarrassment otherwise.  Really ticked me off that all those men believed Thomas.  And I know what you mean about sexual harrassment on the job.  I quit two jobs because of that problem.  Was so glad to see the law passed that forbade it.