Archives & Readers' Guides > Archives of Book Discussions

The Warden/Barchester Towers ~ Trollope ~ Fall Book Club Online

(1/49) > >>

BooksAdmin:
Preparing for our Fall read, The Warden/Barchester Towers

Our Main Goal for Pre-discussion Week
October 2 - October 8

In order to catch Trollope's irony and humor, helpful is a look into the Anglican Church of England, that pillar of Victorian society.

Also, we are scoping out the history, traditions, social and legal changes affecting the behavior of individuals within the power structure of the High Church.

To further appreciate Trollope's character's susceptibility to corruption, hypocrisy, and conservatism, we will foray a look at mid-century Victorian society.

We will make this a wonderful week of sharing, as if time travelers, Trollope's Britain.
A few questions to help center us ---

1] Let's find some highlights about Trollope, who shows a reverence for the past and a diligent awareness of the present as nonstop change.
2] What is his experience publishing The Warden in 1855 & Barchester Towers in 1857

3] How old in 1855 was the Queen, the supreme governor of the Church of England
4] What was the line of authority within the High Church

5] What significant laws extending religions, were written during the early part of the nineteenth century
6] What was the Oxford Movement and how did the formation of the Methodists help define the Anglicans
7] What was the difference between the High Church and the Broad Church of England

8] How did change up-end the social and political Norman pyramid structure - the stuff of Dickens, Gaskell, Trollop

9] What were the published newspapers and magazines - what were their tone
10] What was an Almshouse and who started the first Almshouse

The schedule for our discussion starting on Monday, October 8:   
Oct. 8 - 14 ---- Chapter 1, Who will be the new Bishop? -  to - Chapter 9, The Stanhope Family - according to the book you are reading, 60 pages.
Oct. 15 - 21 --- Chapter 10, Mrs Proudie's Receptions - Commenced - to - Chapter 19, Barchester by Moonlight - 78 pages
Oct. 22 - 28 --- Chapter 20, Mr Arabin - to - Chapter 27, A Love Scene - 74 pages
Oct. 29 - Nov. 4 --- Chapter 28, Mr. Bold is entertained by Dr and Mrs Grantly at Plumstead - to - Chapter 35,  Miss Thorne's Fête Champêtre - 70 pages
Nov. 5 - 11 --- Chapter 36, Ullathorne Sports - Act I - to - Chapter 43, Mr and Mrs  Quiverful are made happy Mr. Slope is encouraged by the Press - 73 pages
Nov. 12 - 18 --- Chapter 44, Mrs Bold at Home - to - Chapter 53, Conclusion - 64 pages

Discussion Leader: Barb

BarbStAubrey:
What fun... we have already started talking about the difference in churches in the Library - just love all it!

OK, let's have fun with this - it will help to realize the church is ONLY a platform for the differences in how people express themselves. The story is a story and not a reflection on our personal religious practices or beliefs.

There is so much change taking place during the mid-nineteenth century making it is easy to see the similarities to the change we are experiencing today. The issues are different but the change is breathtaking as it speeds into our life swirling us into a constant reactive state followed by constant decision making, just as the characters in Trollop's Barchester novels.

This story is about the mid-nineteenth century and not about today – Please, a reminder, this is not a political discussion - or a religious discussion.

Now that the boundaries are set, let's gab. There are many web sites that will get us closer to a feel for mid-nineteenth century Britain – Use the suggested question in the heading, share with us other bits you find and websites as well as, the comparisons to how other Victorian authors use the changes in their stories. Have you read Trollop in the past?

Get comfortable, settle in with your tea/coffee or your glass of wine, and rummage around with us finding the social and work changes also, the traditions that will help us enjoy the read.  Share with us things like, what was a typical Victorian breakfast or the recipe for a Jam and Cream Victorian Tea Cake to, what was the immigration policy in Britain and where was the Union Jack newly planted.

“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
― Anthony Trollope, The Warden

bellamarie:
I feel like a fish out of water here..... I began reading the first chapter of the book and was not yet able to get a feel for it.  I will continue on.  Thank you Barb for the clarity of what the discussion is and is not about.  I'm trying to put myself into the mind set of the Victorian era, maybe a little Earl Grey tea will help, along with changing my profile pic.  I love the Trollope quote so much so, I plan to use it on my profile.

Since question #10 seems the easiest I will tackle that one.
10] What was an Almshouse and who started the first Almshouse

England
Many almshouses are European Christian institutions though some are secular.[1] Alms are, in the Christian tradition, money or services donated to support the poor and indigent. Almshouses were established from the 10th century in Britain, to provide a place of residence for poor, old and distressed people. The first recorded almshouse was founded in York by King Athelstan; the oldest still in existence is the Hospital of St. Cross in Winchester, dating to about 1132. In the Middle Ages, the majority of European hospitals functioned as almshouses.
Many of the medieval almshouses in England were established with the aim of benefiting the soul of the founder or their family, and they usually incorporated a chapel. As a result, most were regarded as chantries and were dissolved during the Reformation, under an act of 1547. Almshouses generally have charitable status and aim to support the continued independence of their residents. There is an important delineation between almshouses and other forms of sheltered housing in that almshouse residents generally have no security of tenure, being solely dependent upon the goodwill of the administering trustees.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Almshouse

BarbStAubrey:
Wow Bellamarie look at this - the Hospital of St. Cross has a web site AND it says the Almshouse was featured in the TV version of Wolf Hall - loved Wolf Hall on PBS - can you even imagine living in a building that has been standing since 1132... amazing...

http://hospitalofstcross.co.uk/

This is a time when Abelard and Héloïse were exchanging love letters and letters to each other about their religious views - 1132 is way before Henry the VIII - to imagine a concern for the elderly, the sick and the poor that prompted the construction of buildings that far back in history boggles the mind. The famous Hôtel-Dieu de Beaune with its distinct roof pattern was not even thought of - it was built 300 years later in 1443

Trollop picked a good one choosing the Almshouse with that kind of historical tradition, showing the conservative nature of the church and yet, the Almshouse also shows the human side of care and kindness towards the poor and elderly so it appears to straddle both the maintenance of the ongoing traditions of the church as well as, the human side that shows good behavior.  Wow a noble bridge between the logical mind and the emotional heart.

CallieOK:
X marks my spot.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version