Author Topic: People of the Book ~ Geraldine Brooks ~ July 15 ~ Book Club Online  (Read 35913 times)

BooksAdmin

• TopicManager
Everyone is welcome to join us - July 15!  See you then?

People of the Book - by Geraldine Brooks

You'll fall in love with  Hanna Heath,  Geraldine Brooks'  edgy  Aussie rare book expert with an attitude, a loner with a real passion for her work.  How could she refuse this opportunity of a lifetime, the conservation of the beautifully illustrated Sarajevo  Haggadah, the mysterious Hebrew manuscript, created in Spain in the 15th century?
Never mind that the invitation will bring her into war-torn Bosnia in the spring of 1996, not to mention the world of fine art forgers and international fanatics.  
Her intuitive investigation  of the manuscript will put her in a time capsule to medieval Spain and  then back to Northern Australia again with a number of stops along the way. You should know that this is based on the travels of an actual manuscript, which has surfaced over the centuries since its creation in Spain,  in  Venice, Vienna and then in Bosnia in 1940.

Oh, and did we mention that this is a love story?

Discussion Leaders: JoanP, Ann , JoanK,  & Traudee

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
Re: People of the Book ~ Geraldine Brooks ~ July 15 ~ Book Club Online
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 11:25:07 AM »
This is one of the top two books SeniorLearners voted for last month.

Couldn't wait until July - I just had to start reading as soon as I picked it up.

I'm sure you will love Hanna Heath and her amazing discoveries.  I'm having a hard time distinguishing between fact and fiction - maybe that's why it's such a page turner.
The stroy line is great  - but there is so much to learn about each of the historical periods in which the book turns up.  

This is one of those books that really lends itself to group discussion.  Are you in?   The more the merrier.

Gumtree

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 11:23:34 PM »
Please count me in...A book  written by an Aussie Sheila about a beautiful book and its history - and as icing on the cake our distinguished discussion leaders - what more could we want. Please count me in.

And JoanP - I wonder whether you have considered asking Geraldine Brooks to join the party in some way. She comes across as being very approachable.

Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 10:20:18 AM »
Good Morning!

My introduction to this author was Brooks' historical novel March(about the American Civil War), which our local group discussed two years ago.  
Right then and there I decided to read everything Brooks has written, beginning with Nine Parts of Desire: The Hidden World of Islamic Women, 1996, and would write.

Yes, count me in.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 11:17:54 AM »
Traudee, not only have you read Geraldine Brooks' work - (her "March" won a Pulitzer Prize) - but now I hear that you have actually lived in Venice for a time after the war.  Aren't we fortunate that you will be contributing to the chapters on Venice where the book turned up in the 17th century.

Gum, welcome to the conservatory - and what a good suggestion.  It is my understanding that the Aussie author now lives in the US - on Martha's Vineyard - a lovely spot indeed.   I like your idea.

Gumtree

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 12:07:19 PM »
Yes, JoanP that's my understanding too - that Geraldine Brooks lives at Martha's Vineyard...

JudeS

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 08:24:04 PM »
I too will join you although  I read the book.  Some years back I saw that one could order a copy of the Sarajevo Haggadah.
At the time I thought I would make a collection of Haggadut.  Well Life happened and I didn't order many more  haggadut.
However I do have the copy of the Sarajevo Haggadah and if I can persuade my husband to turn it into something that can be viewed on line I will do so unless there already is one on line. Has anyone checked?

Another problem is the fact that I will have to take care of my two year old Grandson for either a week or two weeks during this period.  If he comes up here I can continue to converse with you but if I have to go to his home in S.CA it will be a lot more difficult.

kidsal

• Howdy from Rock Springs, WY
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 04:20:07 AM »
Have it on my Amazon list.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2009, 06:18:35 PM »
I can't put this book down. Already in the first few sections, I will never look at a book the same way again. I can't wait to discuss it -- and with such a great group of people.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2009, 06:26:52 PM »
This is the best picture I got with a quick search:

http://www.haggadah.ba/

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009, 11:43:05 AM »
Jude, Bo knows all about two year old grandsons - we're getting ready for a trip to Disney at the end of this month - with seven grandchildren - all under that age of 7.  Two of them are two year olds, two fours, 2 sixes and 1 seven.  We'll understand if you have your hands full.  (

Really do hope he comes to you though - for selfish reasons.

a collection of Haggadut - Jude
I am not even sure what this means.
I hope your husband can scan the document and you can get it to us.

JoanK, we'll have to put that link in the header when we begin the discussion.  It's a start in understanding what this mysterious book is all about.

Let's NOT get into it here, okay?.  As soon as we open the Pre-discussion of the book, we can talk about it.  I'd hate for those who come in later closer to the discussion to miss that information.

Kidsal - you're way ahead of the game.  Glad to have you with us!

EvelynMC

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2009, 10:01:59 PM »
I started reading this a few weeks ago and then started reading the Wallender books, so am ready to go back to "People of the Book" probably tonight.  It is fascinating.  So count me in.

Evelyn

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2009, 02:31:37 PM »
Great, Evelyn! You're in!

Frybabe

Re: People of the Book ~ Geraldine Brooks ~ July 15~ Book Club Online
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2009, 06:49:12 PM »
I've had my book. It has been waiting for me to read it for about six months. I am delighted that it will be discussed here. Count me in.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2009, 09:34:00 PM »
Frybabe, Kidsal, Evelyn, it is so good hear you plan to join us.  July will be here before we know it. Welcome!

By the way - here's the author's upcoming schedule.   Perhaps she will not be in Germany for the full month of July?  I can catch her at the Folger in September...  Well, we'll see what she says.  Doesn't hurt to ask.

Gumtree

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2009, 01:20:54 AM »
JoanK Thanks for the result of your 'quick search' for the Sarajevo Haggadah - stunning site - I'm sure JoanP will want to put it in the header when we get to the discussion....

Aberlaine

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2009, 11:39:22 AM »
I'll be joining you, too.  I've read three of her books - March, Year of Wonder, and People of the Book - and have enjoyed them all.  I'll be reading People of the Book again with you.  The first time I read it too quickly because it was for my f2f discussion group.  I'm going to really enjoy it this time.  Especially because I'll be discussing it with the people of SeniorLearn!

Being Jewish, I've participated in many Passover seders and read many haggadahs (haggadot).  But the discovery of the Sarajevo Haggadah just thrilled me.

Nancy

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2009, 04:21:14 PM »
It thrilled me too. I'm thinking back to the variety of Haggadot we have used over the years in our family Seders. My husband was a non-observant Jew, but somehow we managed to have or attend a Passover seder ever year (reform style). Usually there were a wide variety of Haggadot around the table-- everyone would have their own, and they were all different translations, which made it challanging. I imagine that whatever in family used the Sarajevo Haggadah, the father held it and others were supposed to know the passages to follow along. If indeed it was ever used in seders.

Our favorite family story involves this. There is a point in the seder where the youngest child is asked to read the four questions. As a joke, I guess, my daughter asked my grandson, then two going on three to read them. Of course, no one imagined that he could. We were wrong!!! He read all four. His father helped him with the long words, but he read words like "vegetable". This was the first that any of us knew he could read. What a surprise!!

Persian

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2009, 10:59:25 PM »
Here are two additional links, one of which includes a range of
Haggadot (including the Sarajevo Haggadah) and the other link (Wikipedia) which provides more historical information.

http://www.library.yale.edu/judaica/exhibits/haggadah/exhibit1.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarajevo_Haggadah

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2009, 09:40:23 PM »
JoanK, it is clear that you will be bringing such first hand information to the discussion.  Wonderful!

Mahlia, I've seen the Wikpedia ste - but would be interested in reading what is behind the first link.. which doesn't seem to work for me.   Could you tinker with it?  Thanks!

Persian

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2009, 10:08:49 PM »
Let's try this link to reach the Haggadot site at Yale Univ.  I tried it before I posted and it took me right to the correct site.  Scroll down the page a bit and you'll find the Sarajevo Haggadah.

www.library.yale.edu/judaica/exhibits/haggadah/exhibit1.html

As I recall the numerous Passover seders which I've attended over the years, one which stands out clearly in my mind included Russian and Iranian Jews (and their families), new to the USA, who had been students in a class I taught in Maryland on American citizenship.  Our host was an American colleague of mine from university and it was an enormously heartening experience for all of us as we witnessed the emotions of the international guests face-to-face.

Another time, I was seated across from a Chinese Jewish couple.  The man was descended from an Iraqi Jewish trading family (based originally in Baghdad with branch offices in Shanghai in more contemporary times), whose Iraqi ancestors owned numerous caravans throughout centuries which traded between the Middle East and China.  Historically, the Iraqi males often intermarried with Chinese females and eventually re-established residency in China. The fellow's wife was from a similar multicultural family Jewish family based in China. That night the guests and I exchanged marvelous stories until 4 a.m. the following morning!  A delightful memory.

Mahlia

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2009, 01:26:29 PM »
A lovely site, Mahlia!  Thank you for putting the Yale U link up again!  On closer examination, I see that the only thing different between the two - the "l"was missing at the end of the link!  Picky, picky!  We'll definitely put that link into the discussion heading.  Again, thank you?

I think I'm in the right place to ask this "seder" question.  Does the seder meal take place only at Passover - does it refer to the Passover meal, or are there other occasions during the year?

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2009, 06:51:24 PM »
It is only for Passover. Christ's last supper was a seder, or Passover meal. Passover falls on a different day each year, sometimes falling before, sometimes after Easter, but always around the same time.

However, it occurs twice a year, not once, on consecutive days. families have a choice of which of the two days to celebrate, and the ceremony is exactly the same. I was told that the reason for this is to allow for time differences in different parts of the world. Some families repeat the seder on both days.

It is very much part of the tradition to invite to the seder not only friends and relatives, but anyone that you know who has nowhere to go onthat day, including those who are not Jewish. In fact there is a part of the ceremony where someone goes to the door and invites any passer-by to come in and share the meal. This is rarely taken litrally now in the US, but I have known people who were invited to participate in this way.

Persian

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2009, 09:40:12 PM »
The "open door" is very much a part of the Persian custom also, whereby the front door, gate or garden entrance to the house proper is left open and those who pass by are invited to enter, join the family and celebrate.  It is a marvelous learning experience for those from other faith backgrounds, especially the Orthodox Christians whom I've known, who along with their families participate with their Jewish friends and in turn, invite them to the Christian Seders.  Each celebration is a wonderful opportunity to remember the shared history, teach the younger generation, and encourage the continuation of the family and friends gathering at a very special time of the year.

Mahlia

Aberlaine

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2009, 04:20:03 PM »
Since we had two different families, we spent one seder with my dad's family and the second seder with my mom's family.  I liked my mom's family seder better because I was allowed to drink the four glasses of wine.  I usually slept very well that night.  Four Cups of Wine

Persian

« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2009, 08:49:00 PM »
Was that after Three Cups of Tea? ;)

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2009, 03:36:57 PM »
Mahlia: that sounds wonderful. Too bad there isn't more of that in the world.

ABERLAINE: four cups!! That's what it's supposed to be, but we always chickened it down to four sips!

Thats what's so wonderful about these holidays that are celebrated within the family -- each family somehow makes it their own, at the same time they are sharing it.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2009, 03:57:24 PM »
Geraldine Brooks has written this best selling New York Times bestseller - fiction, a mystery based on the ancient Haggadah which turns up in Sarajevo in 1996.  Lucky Hannah Heath (that's a lot of h's!) is called to examine the manuscript to solve it's mysterious reappearance.  She's only 30 - one has to wonder why she was the one called to the task.

There will be something here for everyone - please make a note to join us in July!

Thanks for the seder information, you all.  I'm sure it will be helpful when we get into the discussion.

EvelynMC

« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2009, 05:09:11 PM »
Thank you for all the Seder information.  I had no idea.

I just finished reading "People of the Book" and will return it to the library on Wednesday and take it out again before we start our discussion.  I will enjoy re-reading it with all of you.

I will make no comment so as not to be a "spoiler", except to say it is a most enjoyable book.  I had never heard of the Sarajevo Haggadah, so this book and all your comments and the links are very enlightening.

Evelyn

Aberlaine

« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2009, 07:16:00 PM »
JoanK, I drank those four (small) glasses of wine when I was young and stupid.  In my later years, I started getting migraines from the Manishewitz wine, so I limited myself to a few sips.

Nancy

marjifay

« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2009, 06:51:48 AM »
I'd like to join the discussion.  The book sounds interesting.  Haven't read anything else by her.

Just figured out why she can afford to live on Martha's Vineyard.  Both she and her husband, Tony Horwitz, are Pulitzer Prize winners.  I have his book, BLUE LATITUDES; BOLDLY GOING WHERE CAPTAIN COOK HAS GONE BEFORE, on my TBR list.

Marj
-----------------------------
"I really dislike reading Hugo," said Les miserably.  (The NY Times is having a Tom Swifties contest, and this is one that made me chuckle.)
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2009, 08:22:34 AM »
Marj, welcome!  So glad to hear that you plan to join us!  Note that we have decided to move the start date back a bit - to July 15.

Don't you wonder what it must be like to live in a house wilth two prolific writers?  Not only are they both working out of the house, but they must be on fairly strenuous book tours!

Evelyn, I had never heard of the Sarajevo Haggadah either.  I gather it is like the Book of Kells and wonder whether it is on display in a museum somewhere.

EvelynMC

Re: People of the Book ~ Geraldine Brooks ~ July 1 ~ Book Club Online
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2009, 12:04:58 PM »
I thought it was on display in the museum in Sarajevo.  Didn't someone post info about it being brought out and put on display to disprove rumors that it was used to pay for the war?  Or am I mistaken?

Evelyn

JoanK

• BooksDL
Re: People of the Book ~ Geraldine Brooks ~ July 1 ~ Book Club Online
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2009, 02:11:50 PM »
Welcome, MARGIFAY. Blue Latitudes sounds interesting too (I love the title). Let us know how it is.

Persian

« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2009, 08:12:29 PM »
This link to Wikipedia explains where the Sarajevo Haggadah is displayed and a few more details:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarajevo_Haggadah

ALF43

« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2009, 12:06:51 PM »
Wow!  what a site this is.  OK, you've got me hooked!  I know nothing at all about any of this and will be asking a ton of questions.  Thank the Lord we have residents of the Jewish persuasion that can help me learn.

It will give me a good "summer" read at my daughter's house as I enjoy her huge Pawley Island hammock and sway in the breeze with Hannah and the Haggadah.  (All of this illiteration should be fun).
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2009, 03:26:04 PM »
MMM...that hammock sounds good!  Is it a two-seater, Andy?  Glad to have you - and your questions!  Welcome!

Mahlia, I went back and read the Wikpedia link more carefully.  I rememberd that a good number of copies had been made - but overlooked the fact that the actual copy was on display in Bosnia.  In a way, that makes me sad...since that was not its point of origin.  Kind of like the Elgin Mables in London , not in Greece  - fish out of water...

ALF43

« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2009, 04:33:04 PM »
Joan- come on and crawl in.  It holds me and 3 grandkids together.  You'll fit.  Of course after your trek to Disney you may prefer to wait until the "youngens" retire. Yeah let's do that and enjoy a glass of wine togher in the quiet of the evening.

I've started this book today.  It reminds me of The Night Villa or else I am just stuck in that book so deep, I see trouble behind every paragraph.
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

marjifay

« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2009, 07:31:40 PM »
Oh gosh, Alf, I hope People of the Book isn't like Night Villa.  I only finished NV because everyone here seemed to really like it.  I got tired of all the references to Roman mythology.  Maybe it was because the book didn't really get interesting for me until almost the end. 

I am interested in comparative mytholgy as told by Joseph Campbell in his HERO WITH A THOUSAND FACES, i.e., how basic themes are repeated in all mythology, including the Bible.  And I loved all Mary Renault's books re stories based on Greek mythology.  But I guess I'm the only one who was bored by Night Villa.  I hope the Brooks book is better.

Marj

"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2009, 10:12:18 PM »
Welcome, Marj!  I share your love of mythology.  

Several years ago  in the Books, we tackled one of the  best reference sources on the subject, Edith Hamilton's  Mythology. It identifies the Greek gods, major and minor; their  Roman counterparts; also  the heroes of the Trojan war; the great families of mythology, the House of Atreus, the Royal House of Thebes, the House of Athens; genealogical tables; all the myths, and more. There's a brief chapter about the Norse gods, about Valhalla and the Valkyries.

In 2005 we discussed Mary Renault's novel The King Must Die, a great experience, much enjoyed.