Author Topic: People of the Book ~ Geraldine Brooks ~ July 15 ~ Book Club Online  (Read 35964 times)

ALF43

Re: People of the Book ~ Geraldine Brooks ~ July 15 ~ Book Club Online
« Reply #80 on: July 01, 2009, 07:52:15 PM »

The Book Club Online is  the oldest  book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and  enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  everyone is welcome to join in.

People of the Book - by Geraldine Brooks

You'll fall in love with  Hanna Heath,  Geraldine Brooks'  edgy  Aussie rare book expert with an attitude, a loner with a real passion for her work.  How could she refuse this opportunity of a lifetime, the conservation of the beautifully illustrated Sarajevo  Haggadah, the mysterious Hebrew manuscript, created in Spain in the 15th century?

The invitation will bring Hanna into war-torn Bosnia in the spring of 1996 and then,  into the world of fine art forgers and international fanatics. Her intuitive investigation  of the manuscript will put her in a time capsule to medieval Spain and  then back to Northern Australia again with a number of stops along the way.  This is based on the travels of an actual manuscript, which has surfaced over the centuries since its creation in Spain.
Discussion Schedule:

July 15-19  Hanna, 1996; Insect's Wing;
    Sarajevo, 1940  (JoanP)
July 20-24 Hanna, Vienna, 1996; Feathers and a Rose;
    Hanna, Vienna, Spring '96 (Ann)
July 25-August 3 Wine Stains, Venice 1609;
   Hanna, Boston, 1996 (Traude)
August 4-August 8  Saltwater, Tarragona, 1492;
   Hanna, London, Spring, 1996  (JoanP)
August 9-August 13 White Hair, Seville, 1480;
   Hanna, Sarajevo, Spring, 1996  (JoanK)
August 14-18 Lola, Jerusalem, 2002;
   Hanna,  Gunumeleng, 2002  (JoanP)
August 19-August 23  Afterword

(click twice to really enlarge)

Prediscussion Considerations

1. Had you ever heard of the illuminated medieval Spanish manuscript, now known as the Sarajevo Haggadah before now?  

2. What exactly is an illuminated manuscript?  Do you think  a centuries-old illuminated manuscript would be fragile?

3.  Can you find the meaning or the derivation of the word, haggadah?

4.  What can you find in Geraldine Brooks' background that might have led her to Sarajevo and this particular topic?

5. Do you remember the Sarajevo Olympics? Any of the athletes who participated?  When did Sarajevo host the games?

6.  What do you know of the Bosnian War and the situation in Sarajevo, Bosnia when the story opens in 1996?

Relevant Links:

Sarajevo Haggadah; Early Haggadah Manuscripts; Illuminated Manuscripts; Brief History of Illuminating Manuscripts;

Discussion Leaders: JoanP, Ann , JoanK,  & Traudee

Andy: JoanK-  be careful extending any ivitation to me!  I might show up.  Thank you , that was very sweet.

Babi- I, too, have looked up many words and have some to look up tonight as well.  I am already into the 4th weekk of discussion.  I will have to go back slowly when we open our discussion.  I'm happy to see that there will be so many too help with our questions.
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #81 on: July 01, 2009, 09:55:54 PM »
Hello, everyone! Good to see the interest and anticipation.
Hello, Claire!!

I too have been reading ahead and making notes - now to keep them all in order ...
Traude

winsummm

« Reply #82 on: July 01, 2009, 10:26:41 PM »
notes?  I never make notes.  I might want to change my mind about something as I read on and then they wouldn't do me any good. . . just clutter up my already disorganized brain.    claire
thimk

kidsal

• Howdy from Rock Springs, WY
« Reply #83 on: July 01, 2009, 10:30:08 PM »
We discussed illuminated books when we read Orham Panuk's My Name is Red.

kidsal

« Reply #84 on: July 01, 2009, 10:41:43 PM »
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/09620a.htm

A description of the origins of the illuminated manuscript.

kidsal

« Reply #85 on: July 01, 2009, 10:47:03 PM »
The Haggadah (Hebrew: הגדה‎, "telling") is a Jewish religious text that sets out the order of the Passover Seder. Reading the Haggadah is a fulfillment of the scriptural commandment to each Jew to "tell your son" about the Jewish liberation from slavery in Egypt as described in the Book of Exodus in the Torah. ("And thou shalt tell thy son in that day, saying: It is because of that which the LORD did for me when I came forth out of Egypt. " Ex.  13:8)

winsummm

« Reply #86 on: July 01, 2009, 11:22:14 PM »
traude good to see you too. in fact huggles from claire. 
thimk

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #87 on: July 02, 2009, 02:42:10 PM »
Some news -  I think it was you, Gum, who suggested that we contact Geraldine Brooks.  Knowing that she would be in Germany in July -  I followed your suggestion and wrote anyway. I just received this answer
With her travels she can try to answer the questions if you send them
via email, but can't make any guarantees, but feel free to send them"

Let's keep a list of questions we would like to ask the author each week of the discussion.  Since she is travelling, we'll select a few of the questions - don't want to overcome a travelling author who probably has limited email time.  But it would be great to hear back from her, wouldn't it?

So, ask away and we'll keep a table of questions for the author in the header...

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #88 on: July 02, 2009, 02:59:35 PM »
 Babi ~Welcome!  You really must like the book, not stopping to make your famous notes!  This is a first for you, isn't it?
Glad to have you join us. (even without your notes.)

What is a pre-discussion?"(Claire)
 Well this is it - we don't talk about the book - as you note - but do share information - background or personal experience  that will help us to understand the story better  - things the author takes for granted that we know about.  
Such as your question -
does illuminated mean illustrated? in any special way. hand painted minatures I guess on parchment in egg tempra???

I know nothing about the Haggadah, except that I've read that it is an illuminated manuscript.  I do know - have seen pages from the Book of Kells in Ireland - an illuminated (illustrated) manuscript dating back to  the 9th century.  It is my understanding that such manuscripts predated Guttenberg's printing press in the 15th century.  

Mippy, JoanK - are the paperback copies of the haggadah used at seder meals illustrated?  If so, are they drawings - or reproductions of ancient illuminations such as those we see in pictures of the pages of the Sarajevo Haggadah?

I'm going to try to get my sister to join us - she married a Jewish fella and usually attends seders with members of his family.  I think she'd like the book, too.  I've never been - never been up in NY where she lives at that time of year.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #89 on: July 02, 2009, 03:03:17 PM »
Just lost a long post. GRRR. I'll try to duplicate it.

ALF: "be careful extending any ivitation to me!  I might show up." I hope you do. And that extends to all of you.

Kidsal: what interesting background material. Really makes me think. About all the forgotten artists who made those manuscripts. And about the purpose of the Seder.

Someone asked if Seder means "order" in Hebrew, and I forgot ifanyone said yes, it does. In modern Hebrew, the equivelant of our "OK" is "beh seder" --in order".

winsummm

« Reply #90 on: July 02, 2009, 04:33:09 PM »
this is about the illuminated mauscripts it's materials and history

www.historicpages.com/texts/mshist.htm
enjoy

claire
thimk

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #91 on: July 03, 2009, 01:02:55 AM »
I picked up a copy of this book today at our local book store for $3.00.  So I will be reading it and will try to join the discussion.

Joan Grimes
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

Mippy

« Reply #92 on: July 03, 2009, 06:30:48 AM »
JoanP  ~  Illustrated Hagaddot?   Not at all.   Words are what are important in Jewish prayers and rituals, in English and in Hebrew, and pictures are not expected.   Perhaps someone else could explain about certain pictures being prohibited, as I'm not sure of that point, since I had no formal Jewish education.  

The very small, paperback copies of the Hagaddah we often use in the U.S. these days are
used as guides to the words and prayers to be said before eating the meal.  The books are not large or extensive like bibles or other holy books.  

Some editions do have some line-drawings, not meant to be important.   There often is a simple line-drawing at the beginning showing a plate of ritual foods:   bitter herbs, a boiled egg, a shank bone, greens to dip in salt water.  This is to guide the family in setting up for the seder.   Matzo is put on a separate plate.

I've starting reading, and would like to assure others that it is not at all necessary to understand Jewish rituals to enjoy this excellent book by Brooks!
quot libros, quam breve tempus

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #93 on: July 03, 2009, 08:47:07 AM »
JoanG - what a find!  This books is still on the best seller list - to have found it at what sounds like a remaindered price is amazing!  So happy to have you with us - I think you will appreciate this book - your experience as a docent in the art world will add to the discussion.  Welcome!

Kidsal - I've been reading, and trying to absorb the information in the sites you and claire  have provided regarding the art of illumination.  Yes, I do remember the discussion of Panuk's My Name is Red - and the art of Eastern illuminated manuscripts.  The Sarajevo manuscript was actually Spanish - revealing artistic styles of the Middle Ages.  Let's put the link to Illuminated Manuscripts in the heading for future reference.  Thank you both!

Babi

« Reply #94 on: July 03, 2009, 08:55:19 AM »
True, MIPPY, illustrations are not expected.  The prohibition against 'graven images',  referring to idols,  was interpreted by Jewish canon to refer to all
forms of  artistic reproduction.  Plants were acceptable, such as the pomegranates carved around the Temple. 
  That is what makes the Haggadah in this story so remarkable. It was unheard
of to have an illustrated medieval Haggadah.  The research into it is what
makes up the core of "People of the Book".
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #95 on: July 03, 2009, 09:16:45 AM »
Thanks for the welcome Joan P.

I was shocked to find the book for $3.00 and it is a large print edition too.  I found it at our local Books A Million.  They have a small selection of books which are from libraries and this was in that section.  I don't think it has ever been read .  It looks so fresh and new. I just really go lucky and I am looking forward to starting to read it.  I will probably start it today since I have nothing else to read right now.

I was looking for Agatha Christie's "Pocket Full of Rye" when I found this one but no luck with finding it. 

Joan Grimes

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #96 on: July 03, 2009, 09:18:23 AM »
Thanks, Mippy - now we understand that the Haggadah (Haggadot?) refers to the words, the ritual - and not to the artwork. The Haggadah unearthed in Sarajevo is then more of a treasured  of ancient artwork - rather than a sacred religious article.  Is that right?  Is that the reason you tell us it is not necessary to understand the Jewish rituals to appreciate and understand this book, Mippy?

Babi - you've just added an interesting dimension to the consideration of the Sarajevo manuscript - The prohibition against 'graven images' - against artistic renderings in sacred documents.  Hmmm
JoanK - this brings to mind the Hagaddahs which your children enjoyed - made expecially for children.  For some reason I concluded that if for children they would  be illustrated, no?

Mippy

« Reply #97 on: July 03, 2009, 11:17:20 AM »
JoanP asked:
Is that right?  Is that the reason you tell us it is not necessary to understand the Jewish rituals to appreciate and understand this book?

Yes, the unique Sarajevo Haggadah  (plural is Haggadot) is interesting to readers of any religion, believers or not, because of it's historical and artistic attributes.

I was concerned that our conversation about the details of our Passover Seders might put off some potential participants.   In the section I've read so far, Brooks does not go into the details of the foods served, nor into the differences of how the Seder is observed among Orthodox, Conservative and Reform Jews.   
quot libros, quam breve tempus

winsummm

« Reply #98 on: July 03, 2009, 04:06:21 PM »
can't please everybody. I like the details
claire
thimk

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #99 on: July 03, 2009, 04:27:11 PM »
I love the details.

Joan Grimes

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #100 on: July 03, 2009, 11:47:36 PM »
Re illuminated Manuscripts. This is what I found:

Centuries before Johannes Gutenberg (born circa 1400) invented the press named after him,  all documents were written by hand = manuscripts, from the Latin words manus, n. fem. and scriptum, n. neut , in medieval Catholic Monasteries, by Jewish scholars and, after the rise of Islam, also in the Middle East, where the art flourished.

These "illuminated"  texts included ornate, gilded borders and illustrations, they required patient, painstaking work.  That made these beautiful volumes expensive and therefore accessible only to those who had the money to pay for them.  Customized prayer books were very popular  among the European elite for a period of time.  Illuminated manuscripts were produced-on a smaller scale- through the Renaissance, then the art died out.

Babi

« Reply #101 on: July 04, 2009, 09:24:42 AM »
  As Struade says, beautiful, 'illuminated' religious texts were very popular among Christians, and well-to-do people spent large sums (for those day) to commission illustrated prayer books and biblical texts.  One did not see such illustrations in Jewish religious texts, which is what made the Sarajevo Haggadah so rare and valuable.
  Nowadays, I suspect the use of art in Jewish texts may vary depending on
whether it is used by a conservative or reform congregation.  I'll have to check on that.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #102 on: July 04, 2009, 09:40:10 AM »
That's an interesting question, Babi.  Maybe someone here can answer that.

You've got me thinking about the period - and place the Sarajevo manuscript was created - The middle of the 13th-14th century - in Spain!  It will be interesting to learn how and when it made its way to Sarajevo - and why it is still in Sarajevo.  Is it like the Elgin Marbles in the British Museum?  I wonder if Spain or any other country wants it back - or if it rightfully belongs to Sarajevo?
Maybe we won't learn that - but we will be tracing its journey from Spain to Bosnia.

Here's one of the pages from the manuscript - A beautiful thing, isn't it?  Amazing how the colors are still so vivid after centuries of being moved around!

Babi

« Reply #103 on: July 04, 2009, 09:43:55 AM »
Whooee!, Joangrimes.  I've got to add that site to my favorites list. Thanks for
mentioning it.

winsummm

« Reply #104 on: July 04, 2009, 11:08:52 AM »
finally we get to see a real page from the srajevo haggadah.  the colors are amazing. The reds and blues held up wonderfully although both are subject to fading in strong light. the blue lapiz ladeli? inthe book but could be cobalt, the red carmine as described somewhere there. Alizeran crimson supposedly relted but ore of a blue tone to it as commonly used today.  The brilliant reds we use in studio pottery are really make from lead as a flux and low fire.  I wonder how they achieved it then.  Maybe it was not the one used for pottery as I know it since o;ur links suggest oil as the medium. hmmm.  just wondering.

claire. . .studio potter for over thirty years as well as painter.
thimk

winsummm

« Reply #105 on: July 04, 2009, 01:30:46 PM »
105 posts a moment ago and we are not even into discussing the book yet. wow. claire
thimk

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #106 on: July 04, 2009, 01:33:05 PM »
Thank you, Claire.  The presence of an artist in a discussion like this is invaluable. 
Happy Fourth!

ALF43

« Reply #107 on: July 04, 2009, 01:46:35 PM »
While searching for information a couple of weeks ago about Haggadot I found images of the illuminated manuscript as Joan has shown.  This is now worth 700 million dollars!
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #108 on: July 04, 2009, 06:40:36 PM »
JOANP: yes, the children's haggadah is illustrated. The kid's favorite was the picture of the pharoah waking up to find his bed covered with frogs during the ten plagues that God sent to Egypt to pursuade pharoah to let the Israelies go. Accompanied by a song "frogs here, frogs there, frogs, frogs everywhere" sung lustily (and offkey) by everybody.

Haggadot now are routinely illustrated, the point of the Sarijevo Haggadah, as I understand it is that it was the first (known).

We don't have to know anything about seders or haggadot to read the book, except what the author tells us (it's old, beautifulul, an historic first). We "bookies are used to thinking of books in terms of what they SAY. This is quite different from looking at books as historical objects, which is different again from looking at them as works of art. Many who collect early christian manuscripts don't do so because they want to know what they say -- there are other sources for this. They do it either for their artistic or Historical value. This is the realm in which we are working.

So, their are at least three ways of looking at this book: as an object of art, as an historical artifact, and, the way that we are used to, as a conveyer of written meaning.

Even here, we will see right at the beginning of the book, there are conflicts, depending on the way the characters look at the book. If it is primarily an object of art, it should be treated one was: if primarily an historical artifact, another. But no one, as far as I've read in the book, is looking at the text to see what it says. In theory, other scholars might actuually read it, to see what, if any, changes in the content there are (like my frog song, which might show a certain historical change in the way some modern Americans view the ceremony). But that's not in the book, as far as I've read.

Babi

« Reply #109 on: July 05, 2009, 09:01:55 AM »
You mean there actually is a Sarajevo Haggadah?!  I assumed the book was fictional.  Oh, my stars (to borrow a quaint old expression) I have got to
go find out more about that!

ALF43

« Reply #110 on: July 05, 2009, 10:10:15 AM »
Babi, at the end of the book in the Afterword the author tells which parts are real and which are fictionalized.  that helped me a lot in my reading, I kept going back and forth trying to seperate the fact from the fiction.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
Historical Fictin
« Reply #111 on: July 05, 2009, 10:29:23 AM »
Oh yes, historical fiction it is.  That is information that should be in the heading - I'm quite sure we've been putting that information in the Book Bytes - but it's not in the heading.  

Before we get into Geraldine Brooks fiction - let's do some research now to learn what brought this author to Sarajevo to consider this subject.  It iw a fascinating story -

By the way, the author will try to answer our questions via email- even though she is travelling abroad.
We'll keep a chart of questions you might like to propose to her -but not to overwhelm her, we'll only send a few each week.
 If we overwhelm and she's travelling, she might not respond to any of them.

I know I've seen references on the web to what rought her to Sarajevo in the first place - can you find anything - I've forgotten the details as that was some time ago.

ALF43

« Reply #112 on: July 05, 2009, 10:50:55 AM »
Question # 3 is interesting to me although I know next to nothing of Jewish religious texts. 

I have to tell you this story as we often remark how common it is to note something in our everyday lives, as we read and discuss a book together.

Friday night, at my SIL's brithday party, an extended  family member, (a Jewish man) whom I frequently spar with and I were discussing this book and as usual I asked many questions.

Scoffing at me, he told me that I was pronouncing it incorrectly and that the accent is on the 2nd syllable  - as in hag GA dah which means "telling".  After a lengthy discussion I asked HIM if he fullfilled the scriptual commandment to  "tell his son" about the Jews being freed from slavery in Egypt? He said "yes" and wnet on to speak in Hebrew, telling me that it comes form the book of Exodus 13.8 in the Torah. 
We had quite an interesting discussion even though he looked at me puzzled and said "Andy, I always assumed you were smarter than that." 

"What the He** does that mean, how would i know anything about Jewish tradition," I shouted (with about 35 other people staring at us around the pool.)  ::)
 The family is used to us getting into heated debates, but not the guests, so my daughter gave me one of those "be careful, mom" looks and the two of us went off into the sunset for a glass of wine.  This is true- can you believe it?  Talking about a ha GA dah, even if he didn't know anything about the Sarejavo Haggadah (of which I capitalized on)!!!! :o

ALF43

« Reply #113 on: July 05, 2009, 10:51:58 AM »
Joan, I will get right back to you on that issue.  I  just read that on the internet last night.

ALF43

« Reply #114 on: July 05, 2009, 10:54:55 AM »
Check out this site

Brooks first heard of the famous Sarajevo Haggadah, which arrived in Sarajevo in 1894, while working as a foreign correspondent for the Wall Street Journal. Reporting on the siege of Sarajevo she learned that the Haggadah, a treasure of the Bosnian National Museum, had gone missing for the third time. The Haggadah had first disappeared from the National Museum during the Second World War when a Muslim librarian whisked it away to safety. This time another Muslim librarian rescued the Haggadah by locking it in a bank vault during the Bosnian civil war.

I think personally that we should look for this kind of information to familiarlize ourselves with so that we do not have to ask the same questions of our author that others have repeatedly asked.

Also, in the very back of my book there is an intro and information about eraldine Brooks that answers many questions.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #115 on: July 05, 2009, 11:25:59 AM »
Oh, I agree, Andy.  We will be very selective about the questions we send on to Geraldine Brooks - and as you say, if there are already answers on the web, we won't repeat those.

Thanks for the research -
So, the author was at one time a  foreign correspondent for the Wall Street Journal - in Sarajevo.  I am curious as to WHEN she was  a foreign correspondent in Sarajevo  - I think that is going to be significant.

winsummm

« Reply #116 on: July 05, 2009, 12:49:37 PM »
Hillary Clinton was there in the midst of the sniper problem. no wonder she thought she was running under fire at the air port.  this is the period in the present tense at the beginning of the novel.

claire
thimk

CallieOK

« Reply #117 on: July 05, 2009, 03:03:56 PM »
I have just begun reading "People of the Book" and want to mark my place here. I got it at the library and hope I can re-check it twice so I'll have it through at least part of the discussion.
Although it's been many years since I went to Seders at the home of family friends and was part of "exchange" evenings between my college Westminster Foundation (Presbyterian) and the Hillel Foundation (Jewish student group), I'm not totally unfamiliar with Jewish customs.

Thank you for the links.  I hadn't looked at the back of the book yet, but had wondered if the Sarajevo Haggadah was a real document.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #118 on: July 05, 2009, 03:08:14 PM »
CALLIE: welcome!!

I'm with you, Alf. How the ---- would you know, unless you asked. And answers like that don't give a lot of incentive to ask.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #119 on: July 05, 2009, 04:06:06 PM »
Callie - I'll echo Joank - Welcome!  Congratulations on getting a library copy.  From what I hear, the wait is long in many libraries!

I checked the heading and see there is a statement there regarding the fact that the book is historical fiction.  I did BOLD it though so that it is more noticeable.

This is based on the travels of an actual manuscript, which has surfaced over the centuries since its creation in Spain.

Notice that we are adding relevant links to the heading - also the reading/discussion schedule.  
We'll begin the story in Sarajevo on July 15.  Notice too that Pat has put the number 1 in red font -  on the map - which you can enlarge twice to see it better.  (Thanks, Pat.)

Now, what do you know of Sarajevo? The war? The Olympics?  In an attempt to remember the Olympics, I tried to remember the figure skaters.  They usually get my attention first.  I thought it was the "Dueling Carmens" - remember Katerina Witt and Debbie Thomas performing to the same music?  I looked them up -and see they were in Calgary in 1988. The Sarajevo Olympics were held in 1984.  Who remembers anything about those Olympics?  Was this Torvil and Dean's first appearance?