Author Topic: Hound of Baskervilles by A. Conan Doyle  (Read 58276 times)

PatH

• BooksDL
Re: The Hound of Baskervilles by A. Conan Doyle
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2009, 07:40:29 PM »
The Hound of the
Baskervilles

by
A. Conan Doyle
"Sherlock Holmes' most famous case, the Hound of the Baskervilles, was set on foggy Dartmoor, and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle got much of the inspiration for the book from real-life people and places - as well as folklore.

The first episodes of Sherlock Holmes' best known adventure - were published in The Strand Magazine starting in August 1901."   http://classiclit.about.com

Links:
Free Online Version - The Hound of the Baskervilles
Official web site ~ Sir Arthur Conan Doyle Literary Estate.
Sydney Paget Drawings: Archive
The Sherlock Holmes Museum

Schedule:
Jan. 2nd  --- Jan. 8th       Chapters: 1 -- 5
Jan. 9th  ---  Jan. 15th     Chapters: 6 -- 10
Jan. 16th --- Jan. 22st     Chapters 11 -- 15

Discussion Leaders:  BillH and fairanna

Brian

• Brian's Den
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2009, 07:58:30 PM »
As you value your life or your reason keep away
from the
  moor.

You may be cajoled into imagining that your own
special trade or your own industry will be en-
couraged by a protective tariff,  but it stands to
reason that such legislation must in the long run
keep away wealth from the country,  diminish the
value of our imports,  and lower the general con-
ditions of life in this island.

Taking the pasted text message received by Sir Henry Baskerville
and comparing it with the leading article on free trade from The
Times;  one can quickly see that as well as the omission of the
word 'moor', which had to be inked in, the word 'as' is also missing.
(The only time in the quoted paragraph the letter 's' follows 'a' in
in the word 'reason' - which has already been used).

Sherlock Holmes (or Conan Doyle) missed a trick or two here.

Brian

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2009, 08:48:09 PM »
I've always wondered what a Hansom cab looked like. I don't know why -- I thought the driver rode up front.

Yes, this is the spookiest of the spooky!

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2009, 09:05:41 PM »
I wondered what the moors actually look like. Here are some panoramic views (I haven't figured out how to work them, but maybe you can).

http://www.phototropic.co.uk/landscapeleaps/dartmoor_panoramic_photography/pano-Brentor_-_DartmoorI

BillH

« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2009, 09:26:24 PM »

DARTMOOR

PatH, thank you for the save. I made use of it.

JoanK thank you for the link.  Just imagine the Scene above at night!

Bill H

fairanna

« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2009, 10:16:26 PM »
Well I never really gave any thought to what a moor looked like...it seems whatever I read about one it was always described as an unpleasent place and always made me feel I wouldnt like to be on one day or night ,,,,it seems they were always described as mysterious ..and that one doesnt look kindly to me.........

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2009, 08:44:02 AM »
I particularly like JoanK's picture gallery.  The moors aren't quite as gloomy as I think of them, but boy, they sure are lonely.

Did you notice the sixth picture down in the right hand column?  It looks like it could be a prehistoric standing stone.  At the end of his wild ride, the wicked Hugo is found dead in a moonlit clearing "...in which stood two of those great stones, still to be seen there, which were set by certain forgotten peoples in the days of old."

How's that for atmosphere?  The moon lighting up the two pillars, and the huge, bloody hound standing over the body.

Babi

« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2009, 09:53:32 AM »
Manuscript (who hated the Baskervilles so much and why)

As far as I can see, ELLA, it was only the cruel Sir Hugo who was hated, and deservedly so.  The 'curse' fell on him and, apparently, his descendents as well. The latest Baskervilles both seem to have been pleasant, well-liked men. Curses are notoriously indiscriminate in that respect, don't you think?

It is my understanding that one of the greatest dangers of the moors is the sameness of the landscape.  It is so easy for someone unfamiliar with them to get lost out there.  And the weather in that part of England is so poor (in my view, at least), that the idea of being caught out in that wilderness in rain or cold is decidedly unpleasant.

BILL, thank you so much for that information about the Hansom cabs. I had no idea of the origin of either 'cab' or 'taxi', and I love learning about words.  Learning something new always adds flavor to my day.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Phyll

« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2009, 12:16:05 PM »
I enjoyed the English moors.  They are very different from the other landscapes of England but in their own way they are quite beautiful.  However, there is a certain "feel" about them that could easily foster all kinds of ghostly stories.   Of course, we were only on the moors in the day time.  If I were out there alone on a dark night I might feel very differently about them!
phyllis

gingerw

• Michigan
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2009, 12:29:02 PM »
Well I read the whole story yesterday on line as I just could not stop  :). Loved it but I to don't want to give anything away so skim the four chapters before saying any thing.
Ginger

BillH

« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2009, 03:39:00 PM »
Hi, Ginger, I'm happy to see you here. :)

Bill H

BillH

« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2009, 03:40:45 PM »
In chapter two, The Curse of the Baskervills, Dr. Mortimer reads from the manuscript the account of the origin of the hound.

"Know then that in the time of the Great Rebellion (the history of which by the learned Lord Clarendon I most earnestly commend to your attention) this Manor of Baskerville was held by Hugo of that name, nor can it be gainsaid that he was a most wild, profane, and godless man. This, in truth his neighbours might have pardoned, seeing that saints have never flourished in those parts, but there was in him a certain wanton and cruel humour which made his name a byword through the West. It chanced that this Hugo came to love (if, indeed, so dark a passion may be known under so bright a name) the daughter of a yeoman who held lands near the Baskerville estate. But the young maiden, being discreet and of good repute, would ever avoid him, for she feared his evil name...."

For me, this reading of Dr. Motimer did more to set the gloom and tragedy of the story more so than the old Baskerville Hall and the devilish moors.

I could visualize the cruel Sir Hugo chasing the young maiden at night over the gloomy moor. I knew then that a mysterious tale would follow.

JoanK, yes, thank you for the picture gallery.

Bill H

gingerw

• Michigan
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2009, 03:21:54 AM »
Dr. James Mortimer reads a a manuscript from times gone by of the first Baskerville Hugo  and his death to Sherlock and Homes.

The start of the Baskerville curse

Hugo Baskervill kidnapped the daughter of a yeoman. Now there is one reason to kill Hugo. Humm I wonder. She does excape tho before harm can come to her but his friends want to set the Baskerville hounds on her to capture her. He even he cried aloud before all the company that he would that very night render his body and soul to the Powers of Evil if he might but overtake the wench. Evil was Hugo Baskerville. They found her dead from fear and fatigue.Hugo was by her side where the black beast shaped like a hound was plucking at his throat.
Ginger

JoanR

« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2009, 03:25:09 PM »
Here's a quote from Michael Dirda, Book Critic for the Washington Post:

"Jan.6 is Twelfth Night, ... for a certain group of readers Jan 6 has another significance.  It marks the presumed birthday of the greatest fictional character of modern times, Mr. Sherlock Holmes, the world's foremost consulting detective."
The Baker Street Irregulars, a group of Sherlockian enthusiasts, meet every year on or near that date to celebrate it!  Shall we all wish our Mr. Holmes a Happy Birthday wherever he may be?

I'm only just starting chapter 4 - love it!  My book is a 2 vol. edition of the Annotated Sherlock Holmes so it's pretty heavy to read in bed plus it's old and the binding is beginning to loosen which makes the whole enterprise a tad chancy!  However I shall soldier on.  The book has the illustrations from the old Strand magazine where the story was originally published as well as all the extra info one might want.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2009, 03:55:31 PM »
I still find it uncomfortable to read books online. Too bad: there is a larger library online than I could ever reach in person. So I asked for it at the library, and was given the choice of four editions. Holmes is alive and well in Soutrhern California.

A typical Victorian plot: the maiden who dies protecting her virtue! We still get that sometimes in modern horror stories.

But what a delicious clue the single boots that are stolen. Not having read the book, I've been puzzling over it. Surely done to fake footprints, but why two different ones (I haven't finished Ch. 5, so maybe it's explained).

BillH

« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2009, 05:14:18 PM »
It marks the presumed birthday of the greatest fictional character of modern times, Mr. Sherlock Holmes, the world's foremost consulting detective."

JoanK, does the "birthday"of Mr. Sherlock Holmes refer to the date of the first publication of any of the Holmes stories? 

I also was at a loss as to  why the shoe/s were stolen.

Ginger,  thank you for the post.

Bill H

BillH

« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2009, 05:22:22 PM »
DISCUSSION TOPICS

My  edition of the novel offers some  discussion topics  that may  guide or add to the pleasure of youtr reading of the story.  As you as you read along, please feel free to offer your thoughts about them.

"Sherlock Holmes uses deductive reasoning to solve his cases.  What is deductive reasoning?  How does  it differ from guessing?  What knowledge and skills does it require?

• "The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes," Sherlock Holmes declares in Chapter Three. Do you agree? Can you find examples of obvious and important things about you or your friends that have been overlooked by others?

• Discuss the nature of Sherlock Holmes's friendship with Dr. Watson. How highly does Holmes value Watson's opinion? Why is Watson important to Holmes? Why is Holmes important to Watson?

• The Hound of the Baskervilles is narrated by Dr. Watson. The story unfolds entirely from his perspective. What if Sherlock Holmes were doing the telling? Would the story be as suspenseful? Would it have as many twists or turns? Why or why not?

• Describe Sherlock Holmes's personality. What is appealing about his character? What isn't? Why do you think he is drawn to difficult and dangerous cases?

• Consider the female characters in the novel. What are their strengths? What are their weaknesses? Do they share any traits in common? How are they treated by Dr. Watson and Sherlock Holmes?

. Like most mysteries The Hound of the Baskervilles has a few "red herrings" misleading clues that point to the wrong culprit. Find  some examples of "red herrings" sprinkled throughout the book.  Did you fall for any of them?"

Bill H

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2009, 05:23:23 PM »
JoanR, I'm reading the same edition you are, though my binding is still OK.  You're right, it's uncomfortable in bed.  And the footnotes are really overkill, but it's nice to have all those Sidney Paget drawings.

BillH

« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2009, 05:43:05 PM »

Folks, I don't want you to miss out on this.  There is a link in the heading that takes you to the SHERLOCK HOLMES MUSEUM.  It is a wonderful website for all  Sherlock Holmes  fans.  On the top of the home page there is a tab marked "AUDIO."  If you click on this you can select several Sherlock Holmes stories to listen to on your computer speakers.  You can copy them to a disc,  HOWEVER, they may have a copy write, so be careful about coying to a disc.

Bill H

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2009, 05:56:20 PM »
There's an advantage to the book I have--there are 100 pages of stuff before you get to the stories.  Holmes' birthday is January 6 because more Baker Street Irregulars are on that side of the argument than are backing the other theories.  The arguments seem somewhat tenuous, such things as a few references to twelfth night, and an alleged hangover on Jan 7 at the start of "The Valley of Fear".

Nonetheless, I will toast Holmes tonight (I'm going out to dinner).

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2009, 06:39:32 PM »
Wait for me, Pat, I'll go with you!  Depending upon the weather, it's cold, rainy, damp here, what is it like where you live?

BILL, what a delightful picture and I shall click on the Sherlock Holmes Museum!

Do you know that I put this story's title into Google and you wouldn't believe all the sites you get.  All the cliff notes and spark notes you could ever want!!! 

I like your questions; let's see:

Deductive reasoning - well, we deduce from the clues which is very different than guessing I would think.  We use a bit more brain power perhaps???

I shall have to think about Question 2 awhile.

But I do wish I had a Dr. Watson; a friend in need, a friend indeed, one to bounce ideas off of and to converse intellligently with.

Later for the rest.................

Brian

• Brian's Den
« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2009, 07:24:09 PM »
My wife and I were out in the car today and we were passed by a really filthy van.
The roads around here are covered in wet snow and grit.

I said to her that the van had very recently had a flat tire, and when she said : "What makes you say that?" I was able to explain that the front wheel on the passenger side was as clean as the rest of the van was dirty.

Deductive reasoning.

Brian.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2009, 08:45:12 PM »
Sorry, Ella, it's cold, rainy and damp here too, but at least we haven't yet gotten the promised icy roads.  Anyway, I had a good meal in good company, and they tolerated my Sherlock Holmes request.

I like that picture of Baker Street.  I bet you can't see across it like that now, too many vehicles in the way.

Babi

« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2009, 10:50:41 AM »
This, in truth his neighbours might have pardoned, seeing that saints have never flourished in those parts..
[/i]
  I loved this line!  I don't often see that sort of sly humor from Mr. Doyle.

IMO, Holmes quite rightly valued Watson for his integrity, courage and loyalty. He could trust him, and rely on him in difficulties and danger.  While Watson certainly wasn't up to Holmes' level of genius, he was nevertheless an intelligent man.  Besides being a doctor, and the 'writer' of the Holmes stories, he learned a good deal about observation and 'detecting' from his work with Holmes, as he himself commented in this particular story.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

fairanna

« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2009, 01:57:21 PM »
Thank you Ella for your comments and my favorite line was
But I do wish I had a Dr. Watson; a friend in need, a friend indeed, one to bounce ideas off of and to converse intelligently with.
That is what makes these discussions so special.....Except for my two dogs I live alone most of the time and what I miss most of all is conversation..real conversation where you can discuss anything  good , bad etc with someone who will talk about how they feel and allow you the same....I have to get back to reading the book on line...but we have had a week of grey skies, grey rain , without a sliver of sunlight or a peek at stars....makes me lethargic  One thing I am thankful for is at least it was rain and NO SNOW>...

Bill you always come up with wonderful questions ...best thing for the doldrums of grey days and dark nights  back later .....love all the comments ...fairanna

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2009, 02:34:39 PM »
Tee hee, Babi, that's funny.  Here's another:

Dr. Mortimer says that his walking stick was a presentation "From one or two friends...on the occasion of my marriage."

Holmes: "Dear, dear, that's bad!"

Dr. Mortimer blinked...in mild astonishment.

BillH

« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2009, 05:00:06 PM »
Watson(left) and Holmes.

What follow is a little  about the personality of Dr. John Hamish Watson.

Well, now, how many of us new Dr. Watson's middle name?  I probably forgot it if I ever did read it.

"Watson is well aware of both the limits of his abilities and Holmes' reliance on him:

"[Holmes] was a man of habits... and I had become one of them... a comrade... upon whose nerve he could place some reliance... a whetstone for his mind. I stimulated him... If I irritated him by a certain methodical slowness in my mentality, that irritation served only to make his own flame-like intuitions and impressions flash up the more vividly and swiftly. Such was my humble role in our alliance."

Conan Doyle portrays Watson as a capable and brave individual, whom Holmes does not hesitate to call upon for both moral and physical assistance: "Quickly Watson, get your service revolver!" Watson occasionally attempts to solve crimes on his own, using Holmes's methods. For example, in The Hound of the Baskervilles, Watson efficiently clears up several of the many mysteries confronting the pair, and Holmes praises him warmly for his zeal and intelligence

[/b]
You can read the entire article of Waston's personality by using this link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Watson

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2009, 06:25:53 PM »
Anna:  Grey skies, gloomy skies here also!

HAMISH!  Scottish, indeed, Bill.  The name will always remind me of the character that we all love in M.C.Beaton's books.  He is named Hamish also.

I looked up Doyle in Google, you may be interested.  He was a doctor and at one time was so bored because no one came through his door that he started writing stories.   Here is the web sitre of Arthur Conan Doyle and his history:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Conan_Doyle

At one point Doyle wrote the following in a letter to his mother:

"I think of slaying Holmes . . . and winding him up for good and all. He takes my mind from better things." His mother responded, saying, "You may do what you deem fit, but the crowds will not take this lightheartedly."

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2009, 07:51:03 PM »
That's a good link, Ella.  It's worth following up the link to Dr. Bell.  Doyle worked under him for a while, and Bell was the model for one aspect of Holmes--the ability to deduce a lot by careful observation of very minor clues.  He often pulled off the sort of thing Holmes did: "I perceive you have recently been in Afghanistan".  (That's the first thing Holmes said to Watson when they met.)

Yes, Bill, as a Sherlock Holmes nut, I did know Watson's middle name.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2009, 07:58:55 PM »
Here's something  which hasn't yet been mentioned about Watson's value to Holmes.  It's no fun being clever if no one notices.  Watson wasn't as good at detection as Holmes by a long shot, but he was clever enough to observe what was going on and appreciate it properly.  And his boiling down the stories to a narrative that others could understand gave Holmes more stature and validation.  I doubt Holmes was good at expressing gratitude for this sort of thing.

Babi

« Reply #70 on: January 08, 2009, 09:05:47 AM »
 Gray days and lots of rain?  Sounds like the moors to me!  Kind of sets the mood, doesn't it, Anna?

Oho! I missed that one, Pat.  Subtle!

I preened a bit when I saw that Wickipedia made a comment similar to mine about Watson.  Then it occurred to me, that probably meant the opinion was on the order of 'Duh!...who doesn't know that!"   ::)

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2009, 09:42:35 AM »
There's no "duh" about it, Babi.  People have been picking the Holmes stories apart for 100 years, so of course we are unlikely to come up with something that no one has ever thought of.  We can still be clever for thinking of the same things for ourselves.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2009, 01:49:02 PM »
I've been pondering on Bill's question: what if the stories were told by Holmes, not Watson? I think they would be unreadable! Holmes' personality would not wear well looking down his nose and explaining to us inferior beings what happened. (I'm exaggerating: Holmes is much more polite than that, but still...) We can relate to Watson, having much the same reaction to what happens and to Holmes that he does. Note that Watson is much smarter and more appreciated that his imitations (e.g. Agatha Christie's Hastings).

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #73 on: January 08, 2009, 03:47:06 PM »
There is at least one mystery told by Holmes.  "The Lion's Mane" takes place after Holmes had retired to Sussex and saw Watson only occasionally.

"Thus I must act as my own chronicler.  Ah! had he but been with me, how much he might have made of so wonderful a happening and of my eventual triumph against every difficulty! As it is, however, I must needs tell my tale in my own plain way, showing by my words each step upon the difficult road which lay before me as I searched for the mystery of the Lion's Mane."

The story is perfectly readable, but you miss Watson.

BillH

« Reply #74 on: January 08, 2009, 04:15:54 PM »
Ella, thank you for mentioning the character named Hamish in M.C. Beatons books, You have a fine memory. And thank you for the link that gives us a detailed bio of Doyle. Do you think that Conan Doyle was, in his own mind. trying to be Dr. Watson?

Folks, Thank you for all these interesting posts. As I read them I  can tell that you folks are very well versed in Sherlocian lore.

Bill H

BillH

« Reply #75 on: January 08, 2009, 04:23:18 PM »
The opening pages of Chapter Six finds Dr. Watson, young Sir Henry, and Dr. Mortimer traveling through the moors on their way to Baskerville Hall.  In my MHO. Conan Doyle does a fine job of leading us to the Baskerville Hall in writing the following paragraph.

The wagonette swung round into a side road, and we curved upward through deep lanes worn by centuries of wheels, high banks on either side, heavy with dripping moss and fleshly harts-tongue ferns. Bronzing bracken and mottled bramble gleamed in the light of the sinking sun.
Still steadily rising, we passed over a narrow granite bridge and skirted a noisy stream which gushed swiftly  down, foaming and roaring amid the gray boulders... To Sir Henry's eyes all seemed beautiful, but to me a tinge of melancholy lay upon the countryside, which bore so clearly the mark of the waning year. Yellow leaves carpeted the lanes and fluttered down upon us as we passed. The rattle of our wheels died away as we drove through drifts of rotting vegetation—sad gifts, as it seemed to me, for Nature to throw before the returning heir of the Baskervilles

Bruce Brooks gives the reader pause for thought and speculation when he writes the following in  his Forward.

"Now, you could say that in terms of this tale of horror and investigation, this little paragraph merely serves the purpose of getting two characters from one place to the next, and is otherwise unimportant. But in The Hound of the Baskervilles no paragraph, no sentence, no word is unimportant. Conan Doyle uses every tool to set us up, to make us feel what he wants us to feel as readers. Try this: go through the paragraph above, and pick out words and phrases that contribute to a sense that we are trapped inside the motion of something as big as the landscape, as unhealthy as rottenness, and as inevitable as the year that wanes. Go ahead—count 'em up"

POST SCRIPT:
In the above paragraph, Bruce Brooks  writes it does a fine job of getting two charters from one place to the other. However, I count, not including the  driver, three characters in the wagonette, Watson, Mortimer and young Sir Henry.  Maybe Mr. Brooks did this purposefully to test our reading observation. But, then again, perhaps I nit pick.

pike99

« Reply #76 on: January 08, 2009, 04:24:55 PM »
Brian mentioned Anne Perry,so I assume everyone knows the story of Anne Perry. Several years ago a film was made called Heavenly Creatures which details the events. Good film....well made.
 I used to listen to the Adventures of Sherlock Holmes on the radio ( we all remember radio )and it was with Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce..I think those programs are still available in CD collections of Old Time Radio.
 Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was a rather fascinating character himself who dabbled in some occult explorations, I think Harry Houdini was a fan of his stories.

BillH

« Reply #77 on: January 08, 2009, 04:51:32 PM »
Pike99, yes, I believe those old time radio stories are available on CDs. Perhaps our Ginny could tell you how  to obtain them. However,you can  listen to some of them on your computer by following this link. If you use  the link, please  click on "TAB" at the top of the page and select a story.

gingerw

• Michigan
« Reply #78 on: January 08, 2009, 07:41:20 PM »
Bill I followed your link but could not get the audio. I wonder what I did not do as my volume works.
Ginger

BillH

« Reply #79 on: January 08, 2009, 08:57:25 PM »
Ginger, sometimes I get a message at the top of the URL I'm visiting that asks this "This website wants you to allow popup's  on this page."  I have experienced this with the web site you are referring to and also with SeniorLearn. I think it all depends on the browser that is being used. I'll click on  "temporarily allow pop ups" and then I can access what I want. If I click on "Never allow pop ups from this web site,"  then I can't  access the material on that page. The only website that I always allow pop ups is SeniorLearn.

This is about the only explanation I can offer. Perhaps one of our techs can give a more detailed answer.  In the mean time, if you have another browser give that one a try.

Ginger, one more thing. When I click on the story I want to listen to I'll get a pop up Electronic registration card wanting to know my E-mail address, country, and Zip Code. There is a drop down menu (the little arrow on the card) that allows me to select "Remind me Later." I do this and hit next, FINISH and " listen to the story I want.

Ginger, then you have to wait several seconds for the story to start.
I hope this helps, Ginger.

I'm sorry, Ginger, that I can't offer a better explanation. 

Bill H