Author Topic: Life of Frances Perkins,The ~ Kirstin Downey - August Book Club Online  (Read 92256 times)

PatH

• BooksDL
Re: Life of Frances Perkins,The ~ Kirstin Downey - August Book Club Online
« Reply #400 on: August 31, 2009, 02:51:45 PM »

The Woman Behind the New Deal:
     The Life of Frances Perkins,
          FDR'S Secretary of Labor and His Moral Conscience

by Kirstin  Downey

Links:
Frances Perkins Center
Frances Perkins, Dept. of Labor
Jane Addams
[Frances Perkins Speech

Discussion
August   l -  8    
August  9 - 15  
August 16 - 22    
August 23 - 31

Schedule
Chapters 1-9
Chapters 10-18
Chapters 19-27
Chapters 28-38

Discussion Leaders:   Ella and Harold

mabel1015j

« Reply #401 on: August 31, 2009, 03:13:37 PM »
Ella - Severn's book was published in 1975. He has no footnotes on the pages, but his bibiliography includes FP's 2 books and sev'l books by other New Dealers, including Ickes; sev'l books by historians, including Robt Caro, Arthur Schleslinger and Joe Lash's book Eleanor and Franklin and Anna Roosevelt's book about ER. He also lists 9 articles by FP.

Trude - FT was an opponent of the ERA, as was ER for a long time. They were concerned that women would lose the privilieges of protective legistlation that had been passed by many states including limiting hours - it was women pushing for limited hours that initiated first a 10 hr day and then an 8 hr day - limited weight lifting requirements and barriers to women working overtime and over night. The proponents for the ERA pushed for many of the protections to be extended to men and argued that overtime and over night restrictions kept women out of higher paying jobs and overtime pay. ER eventually changed her mind and in the 60's became a supporter of the ERA.

Jonathan - i loved that Gracian quote also. It may tell us more about FP than anything else we've read, or at least about her philosophy of dealing w/ all those men so successfully.

I learned something from the Severn book that i didnt know before. He writes of FDR " He doffed his cloak as commander in chief ......................." I have seen many pictures of FDR in that famous cloak, but didn't know it had military significance.

Again from the Severn book that gives an entirely different mood to many events:

.....F wrote a letter of resignation to the Civ Serv Comm to which she had been appt'd in 1946, and told reporters, for the second and final time, that she was retiring from public life..........She was leaving partly to clear the way for Pres Eisenhower to appt someone of his own choosing as her successor, but she said she was also looking forward to resuming her career of soc'l service in some other field. .............but she had no intention of adopting a rocking-chair way of life. She smiled and added, 'How could i? I don't even knit.' .............But Pres E was in no hurry to replace her. Once again she remained in office while the pres looked for someone to fill her job. She stayed on ....for another 3 months. ......E finally accepted her resignation, w/ a letter expressing appreciation for her services.
..........when someone remarked that it was sad to see her go, since she was the last of the orig'l Roosevelt New Dealers to lv office, she answered cheerfully. 'It's quite an accomplishment to be the last leaf on the tree.' ..............she......turned to others ......as she was leaving, 'I'm grateful to God to have lived in these times.'
Reporters called attention to the fact that .... another woman, following the path she had broken, was starting her first working day as the second of their sex to become a mbr of a pres's cabinet, Oveta Culp Hobby, named by Pres E to be sec of the new Dept of Health, Ed and Welfare.
Much of the press joined in editorially wishing F well. 'FP, ....managed to ride out storms of abuse w/out losing her admirable sense of humor or her capacity for efficient public service,' the Nation said. ' Miss P probably had a clearer conception of the ND and was more unsellfishly dedicated to the achievement of its goals than any of her colleagues. The list of social achievements w/ which her name is associated si indeed impressive.....She has our best wishes.'
The NYT said,' After a notable half-century devoted to the public service....FP is opening a new chapter...Her interests have always been as broad as the social horizon itself, encompassing the welfare of women and children, minimum wages, safety in industry, care of the aged and problems of unemployment. We wish her well in the next phrase of her constructive career.'
........In June 1957, she visited her alma mater.......(to) receive and honorary degree of Doctor of Law to add to her collectioin of many honorary degrees. /color]
Just a little more............he writes "Her research notes (on Al Smith) filled more than a thousand typed pages and she tape-recorded thousands of words of reminiscences that were deposited in the Comlumbia U Lib's Oral History Collection." That was way beyond the amt of work I presumed she had done when reading KD's book.
And finally, about her funeral and death - ... the pres respresented by Sec of Labor Willard Wirtz (at the funeral) and Pres...Johnson, 'deeply grieved to learn of the passing of this great woman,' said, 'She was a pioneer in the field of human welfare and equal rts. Her selfless dedication to the sevice of others will always be an inspiration to people of compassion and good will.'
The natio has lost one of its first citizens.' Sup Crt Justice Arthur Goldberg said. 'Under her wise and inspiring leadership, the dept of labor came of age.'
To Geo Meany, head of the AFL-CIO, ' she was a great lady who served this nation and its workers at a time of grave nat'l distress w/ honor and distinction.'....... 'The good she did for millions of her fellow citizens stands as an enduring monument to her memory and there could be no greater memorial.'"  

This is such a more uplifting picture. Of course, it was important to read KD's description of her infirmities and her relationship w/ the young men at Cornell and Susanna's lack of concern about her mother
I don't know who first suggested that we discuss this book, I suppose it was Ella, but i send great thanks for whoever did. We should all know about her and tell others about her..............jean

HaroldArnold

« Reply #402 on: August 31, 2009, 03:27:30 PM »
Some of you know that for the last five years I have lived at a Senior's Apartment complex.  Last year we began a Reader's Theater projects doing 4 or 5 Plays a year.  Our current summer series was just completed  and pictures are now available on the Morningside Ministries Web Page at http://www.morningsidemin.org/Chandler/activities.html  (Just Click the preceding URL address).

If clicking it does not work Copy the following  http://www.morningsidemin.org/Chandler/activities.html into your Webb Browser's "Open Location" winddow.

The larger photo top right is a photostat of a large marque advertising poster of the cast showing their pictures about the age 30.  These are black and white gray scale copies.  The other pictures in color are of the cast in different scenes during a performance.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #403 on: August 31, 2009, 04:39:25 PM »
BILL CLINTON CAME TO TOWN!  Still popular!  And won't it be interesting if Hillary ever becomes president?  What do you forecast for Hillary's future after her term of office as Secretary of State?

Thanks, TRAUDE, for the post, very intereting and you have done well to survive all those transitions.  Be proud of yourself!  Enjoy retirement and you have the best possible state for that purpose!

JEAN, gosh, I do hate to say good bye (for a short period anyway) to all of you and THE BOOK AND FRANCES PERKINS!

Those words that Jean quoted from the newspaper and various luminaries of the government said it well.  And now that Kirstin has written such a good book about FP we all will remember her, as well as others of that period.

She knew most of them, the ones in the news, both great and small.  As JONATHAN said  she enoyed the tough men and manipulating those in power.  She was a politician!  And a diplomat.

I visited my library this morning and brought home a book someone mentioned in one of own sites - HARRY TRUMAN'S EXCELLENT ADVENTURE: The True Story of a Great American Road Trip,  by Matthew Algeo.  Mentioned in the Preface was the fact that this man was the last president to leave the White House and return to something resembling a normal life.  No Secret Service, no office staff, no perks, to accompany him.

And in the Postscript there is this: "Today an ex-president receives an annual pension equivalent to the salary of a cabinet officer, around $190,000.00.  He also gets money to pay for office expenses, staff salaries, travel and postage.  In 2008 the rent on Bill Clinton's office in Harlem alone was more than $500,000.  The total amount of money the federal governrnent spends on its ex-presidents has risen from $160,000 in 1959 to an estimated 2.5 million in 2008.  And that's not counting Secret Service protection which in 2000, when four formers were living, cost nearly 26 million dollars altogether.

We don't know what pension a cabinet officer gets today, but I know there is one.

Interesting the little hostility between Truman and Eisenhower on Inauguration day.

FP was working on a biography of Al Smith, as JEAN noted.  1000 pages!  Gosh, that's a lot and couldn't an editor work on it and publish it?  I'm going to look and see if there is one.

And Henry Wallace would be a good subject also, wouldn't he?

We've met so many fascinating historical figures in this book and in this discussion.

A discussion that has been one of the best ever on SeniorLearn!  THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR YOUR PARTICIPATION!

This site will remain open for a few more days if any of you want to follow up with comments.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #404 on: August 31, 2009, 04:41:17 PM »
P.S.  Loved the pictures, HAROLD!  Great group!

mabel1015j

« Reply #405 on: August 31, 2009, 05:18:12 PM »
Harold, what nice pictures, and look at that handsome guy in the long sleeved white sweater at the top of the page - about 30, you say? ............looks like and active group............jean

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #406 on: August 31, 2009, 05:35:31 PM »
A week or so ago, JoanK was telling me "I'm really dreading reading the last chapter--her husband is dead, she's estranged from her daughter, and things are going to get lonely and sad."  Not FP! She goes to Cornell, teaches a popular class, and plunks herself down on the top floor of Telluride House, otherwise populated completely by men in their twenties, who adore her and respect her and make a big fuss over her.  I love it.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #407 on: August 31, 2009, 09:17:21 PM »
Telluride House?  Whoa!  My daughter is the financial manager in the Telluride office on the Cornell campus.  I was just up there about a year ago and enjoyed a lunch with my daughter and her friends.

I did question FP staying at Telluride House as when she was there, it was strictly a male abode.  But, I checked and she was there in '63 along with the only female to hold a lodging scholarship, Aryil Spivak,who had earned  her room.
I thought that I it was Paul Wolfowitz's sister, Laura Mary, who challenged that all male Telluride congregation and she became the first female to earn a room there. But, I think what I read may have said that she challenged the all male situation and when they changed to co-ed, she was the first female to apply. Sounds good to me.
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #408 on: August 31, 2009, 09:19:14 PM »
Harold, GREAT pictures!
When you mentioned the group here last year,  I contacted the director of the Council on Aging in our fair town, planting a seed, so to speak. The director has done wonders since she came (from NY) and initiated several well-attended new programs.  But I never heard back on the possibility of even reading a play, and it is not my style to push.  Needle-work and quilting classes are popular for those with nimble fingers (which excludes me), but I've never once seen a man at any of the gatherings I attended.  And there's no book group !!!  Apparently there's no demand.  Too bad.

I had to go back and I did find Jean's post # 375 regarding a book about similarities between FDR and Hitler.  Forgive me but I find the very idea appalling. Secretiveness is hardly a gauge IMHO.

Take it from me who lived there, there IS no comparison. Hitler was a monster, a mass murderer, the instigator of WW II,  and responsible for the loss of millions of lives in the Holocaust and in the war. Next to Stalin Hitler was a villain of the ages, and I'd be willing to refute any notion of similarities with FDR.

Ella and Harold, thank you for leading us so ably in this eye-opening discussion; it's another landmark for us.  And thanks in no small measure to the participants and their commitment.  Now, as the bard said " ... and parting is such sweet sorrow ..."
Traude

Kirstin Downey

« Reply #409 on: September 01, 2009, 12:41:12 AM »
Hello, friends...I'm sorry I have not been able to contribute much to the discussion for the past 10 days. I am in the process of moving and many of my things are stored away. I have been unable to access the senior learn website on my laptop, and it has been hard for me to get to another computer elsewhere.

Thanks for all the great questions and kind remarks. Yes, as a matter of fact, the "FDR's moral conscience" line did indeed come from the marketing department, and it is likely to be changed for the paperback version of the book. The main title will still be "The Woman Behind the New Deal" but the rest will reflect more of her accomplishments, such as Social Security.

Frances Perkins certainly does deserve to be better remembered, and it is good for us all to be reminded. A man in Iowa had a party to celebrate the receipt of his first Social Security check, with a special toast in honor of Frances Perkins. That would be a great trend to get started!

I'd like to ask you all to check out the website of the Frances Perkins Center, in Newcastle, Maine. It's Frances Perkins's family homestead, and represents yet another way that people are honoring her memory. FP's grandson, Tomlin Coggeshall, is very active in the effort. They are eagerly looking for supporters of all stripes, and would be glad to hear from you. I am on the group's board of directors, and can tell you they are a wonderful group of people working to keep FP's legacy alive.

Thanks again, and I look forward to meeting some of you at the National Book Festival!

Kirstin Downey

bellamarie

« Reply #410 on: September 01, 2009, 08:34:08 AM »
Kirstin, Thank you so very much for being a part of our group discussion.  We appreciate having you here, giving us an insight to the many areas only an author can clarify for us.  Indeed, I think it would be a nice remembrance to toast Frances for Social Security, especially today as it is being threatened to not exist in the years to come.  I only hope someone like Frances will step up and speak out to save this much needed program.  I have checked out the website and think this is a wonderful way to honor Frances Perkins and her accomplishments.

Good luck with your move, and hopefully all will return to normal for you.  Nothing I hate worse is when my house is not in order.  I will not be able to make it to Washington, but I will be with you in spirit.  Again, thank you for sharing your time and thoughts with us at Senior Learn.

Much gratitude,
Marie
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

bellamarie

« Reply #411 on: September 01, 2009, 08:49:52 AM »
Harold, how neat!  You all are an inspiration to seniors around the world, like Frances Perkins said leaving office as Jean provided us with, " but she had no intention of adopting a rocking-chair way of life. She smiled and added, 'How could i? I don't even knit.'"

Not that we all don't appreciate a good rocking chair every now and then, and I have knitted some pretty neat things for my children and grandchildren throughout my years, but.....I think your group gives new meaning to retiring.  Koodos to you all!!!
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”

mabel1015j

« Reply #412 on: September 01, 2009, 01:20:03 PM »
Just some quick comments: (yeah, i know, i seldom do "quick comments...lol) nonetheless, on pg 310 KD relates a conversation btwn FP and ER about FP's trying to get FDR's permission to retire and she asked ER's help. ER responds "Oh, but I don't get a chance to talk to him."  and then "I don't always get a chance to talk to him about anything serious,....it's sometimes as much as a week before i get in a word about anything that is purely business and not just personal matters such as 'Have you paid that bill?'" I laughed out loud! First because Doris K Goodwin said that ER seldom talked to FDR about anything BUT serious matters, which is why he preferred his cousins and friends at the end of the day, and that she sent him notes almost every night about serious things to consider. Secondly, does anyone believe that FDR was the one actually paying the bills?!? ....... having tho't longer about that response, i realized that i have never read anything about any recent president having an accountant, or someone who takes care of those things. But, wouldn't they? Do you think any of them, other than maybe Truman or Carter, paid there own bills?

And it was sad and a little humorous on pg 316: "F ...arranged the financial settlement btwn Susanna and David, which included a trust fund to gv S finanacial security. F negotiated the arrangement w/ David's MOTHER, Betty."...... Power to the MOMs.  :P

Another change of perspective for me - my impression was that most everybody was hearing about Pearl Harbor on the radio on Dec 7, but KD gives the impression  that hardly anybody was hearing that, especially gov't officials. We're so used to instant news these days that that seems improbable. I'm wondering if FP's comments in her book about FDR's demeanor that day was something she conjured up after years of hearing people question whether he knew about the attack. Perhaps her "memory" was enhanced by those discussions. I don't believe that FDR had any specific info. He obviously knew the Japanese were preparing for some attack somewhere, but i can't believe he would have let it happen just to get America into the war. I think serious research has shown that to be true.

FP's statements on pg 393 about banning of the Lord's prayer and Bible reading in the schools surprised me. She had apparently forgotten that there were students of other religions in public schools. She had always been such an advocate for individual rts, that i was taken aback by her statements in that paragraph and the last one: "It was incomprehensible to F to think of excluding religion from public life altogether, for it was her religious motivation - to do what Jesus would want one to do - that drove her and fueled all that she had done." Religion seemed to have undermined her usual logical, rational thinking and support of others who were not like herself. Religion was not taken "from public life," but only from the public schools which every child was required to attend if they did not go to private schools. I recall the one Jewish girl in my school leaving class during Bible readings and the L's Prayer and i can only imagine how she felt, or how other students may have perceived her. I was happy to see that policy change. ...............

o.k. i'm done...................loved it! Thanks Kristen Downey................Ella, Harold and all of you...............jean

HaroldArnold

« Reply #413 on: September 02, 2009, 10:51:24 AM »
I think that Frances Perkins deserves a great deal of the credit for the fact that we are now seeing an early positive response to the late 2008 -  2009 measures to stem the current 2008 economic crash.  This is because in 2008-09 Frances’s social Security, unemployment compensation FDIC bank account insurance, and other permanent 1930’s measures were in effect to provide instant first aid (safety net) for the rising army of unemployed workers.   Individual’s relief that in the 1930’s had to be thorough new legislation requiring massive new relief appropriations came automatically this time.  This enabled the Congress and the Executive to attack the new economic crisis directly with efforts to keep the banking and finance and overall business systems functioning.  Today there are signs that the economy is responding and the near decade required in the 1930’s to restore the badly wounded economy will not be required this time.  Again it appears that the permanent safety net provided by the 1930’s programs is making a quicker less painful recovery possible.  Time will tell.

HaroldArnold

« Reply #414 on: September 02, 2009, 10:58:22 AM »
Kirstin , we thank you for being a part of our discussion, and in particular thank you for this book.  I have the Frances Perkins Institute Website listed in my permanent Bookmarks list.  We all wish you the best in the future and will look forward to your next book project.  

bellamarie

« Reply #415 on: September 02, 2009, 12:12:51 PM »
I would like to thank Ella and Jonathon on a job well done!  This group discussion was so much fun.  I learned more about FDR here than in all my years in school.  And for the first time ever, I learned who Frances Perkins was and what important role she played in implementing programs that are all advantageous to us today. Hope to see you all in a future group discussion. 

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #416 on: September 02, 2009, 01:54:58 PM »
Once again, the hotshot team of Ella and Harold, with the super participation of a lot of interested and knowledgeable people has made for a great discussion.

Kirstin, thank you so much for your gracious participation.  It added a lot for us.

mabel1015j

« Reply #417 on: September 02, 2009, 02:05:54 PM »
Harold - re: post #413 - so true, too bad few people know they need to say "thank you Frances.".................jean

Jonathan

« Reply #418 on: September 02, 2009, 04:08:07 PM »
Good. It's still open for posting. Thanks everybody, for your company in the reading of this book. Hasn't it been lively. And I feel there could be a lot more to say about how FP comes across in Kirstin's biography. She has convinced me that Perkins deserves credit for many of the New Deal measures. So why is it only passing references that she gets in most accounts of the times?

I also found interesting Kirstin's attempt to understand FP's personal life. Practically inscrutable. What did Perkins want for herself? Was she satisfied to be the great humanitarian? Her horizons were constantly getting broader. From wanting to do social work in NYC, and cleaning up the brothels in Philadelphia, she went on to Albany to work on a state level, and then nationally in Washington, and finally she dreamed of going world-wide, with the International Labor Organization.

I like the quote from the Severn book, in Jean's 401 post, in which FP is quoted as saying, I'm the last leaf to fall, ( from the Rooseveltian, New Deal crowd. The wonder is that she got up there. Wasn't she a climber. Do you all remember the time she was asked, do you have a gender problem, and FP replied, only when I'm climbing trees. So she made her life a metaphor.

The hard reality is somewhat less grand. She seems disappointed, even somewhat bitter at the end. She certainly soldiered on until the end. But she did not even have a place of her own, and was estranged from her daughter. What an irony. There was a time, when, with Susanna married:

Page 255. 'At last, Francis beathed a sigh of relief, knowing that her daughter was financially secure, settled, and travelling comfortably in the elite social circles that Frances herself had had to beach with cordiality and cunning.'

So, it wasn't easy getting as far and as high as she did. Was she always certain about where she was going, or did she occaionally pause to ask herself, what does it profit a man to gain the whole world and lose his soul? As she did when she found marriage a real rut.

I can't get over it. Looking for a job at 77. There seems to have been no 'security' for our true heroine, until Cornell took her in.

Got another book for us, Ella?

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #419 on: September 02, 2009, 04:29:34 PM »
Kirsten,
I can't thank you enough for appearing here and discussing your fantastic book.  Hope you are already starting another one.
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

mabel1015j

« Reply #420 on: September 02, 2009, 05:30:28 PM »
"Inscrutable" -perfect word, Jonathan. You are right, i never quite figured out how she was feeling, even tho KD gave us many quotes from her. Maybe she felt so unappreciated because of all the chafing she felt everyday from not being one of the boys. ..............i started to say i couldn't figure out why she felt so negative, but then i realized that as i read the book my feelings rode the roller coaster of "how great that she's in such a powerful position, has the ear of the president, got so much done" to " oh my gosh, she has so many burdens, how does she handle it all?"..................it's very ironic that the person who honchoed the social security retirement program, felt as tho she couldn't retire!!!...............jean

mabel1015j

« Reply #421 on: September 02, 2009, 05:41:08 PM »
I was just looking at the FP Center page. I have taken my books back to the library, so can't check this out myself - when was the Maine house sold, does anybody remember? Did she not have it when she left the gov't, I can't remember.........jean

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #422 on: September 03, 2009, 06:56:09 AM »
Jean

Heres the link to the Frances Perkins Center but I haven't read it yet to see when and if she sold the house.  I am pretty sure it was gone when she started living at Cornell in the Telluride House but since it was a historical site in Maine, maybe she and her sister didn't sell it at all.

http://www.francesperkinscenter.org/

I love the picture of her sitting in a meeting with the sun shining on her, don't you?

Also, heres the link to the Women's Hall of Fame where my daughter spent a delightful afternoon back '01 at the center in Senaca Falls, NY.  Quite an eye opener.  Women have been involved in many discoveries about medicine but never given the credit.  I knew I had seen something about Frances in the near past and this must have been the place.

http://www.greatwomen.org/women.php?action=viewone&id=119

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #423 on: September 03, 2009, 09:27:25 AM »
Frances Perkins - the tie that bound us together for a month.  I think our author, Kirstin Downey, best summarizes FP's life in the Prologue:

"She had changed her name, her appearance, even her age to make herself a more effective labor advocate."

"She had studied how men think so she could better succeed in a man's world.  She had spent decades building crucial alliances." 

"As her grandmother had told her, whenever a door opened to  you. you had no choice but to walk through it."

It was great fun discussing the book with all of you.  I hope we shall meet again soon in another nonfiction book discussion.

If you have ideas for a good book, post here:

http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=84.480

Thanks again to Kirstin Downey for joining our group and we all wish her the very best in the future!

HaroldArnold

« Reply #424 on: September 04, 2009, 10:27:19 AM »
Here is an interesting last minute comparison of the careers of the current Secretary of Labor,Hilda Solis with Frances Perkins in the 1930's.  Actually Solis's road to the Cabinet Labor post appears quite different from Frances's path.  She rose quite rapidly; her route seems much more through elective political office, School Board  & House of Representatives.  Her political strength came through Hispanic and environmental issues .  Click the following for a Wikipedia bio sketch,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilda_Solis

HaroldArnold

« Reply #425 on: September 04, 2009, 10:47:00 AM »
I want to thank all the many seniorslearners who hav participated here.  It is you who have made this board an outstanding success.   Please continue your reading interests and stay in touch by following and participating in the continuing nonfiction board at http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=84.480

BooksAdmin

• TopicManager
« Reply #426 on: September 07, 2009, 11:19:46 AM »
Thanks, Ella and Harold, for a good discussion.
This discussion is read only and has moved to the Archives.