Author Topic: Fiction ~ Old ~ New ~ Best Sellers #1  (Read 153172 times)

Babi

Re: Fiction ~ Old ~ New ~ Best Sellers
« Reply #1000 on: October 31, 2009, 08:37:58 AM »

This is the place to talk about the works of fiction you are reading, whether they are new or old, and share your own opinions and reviews with interested readers.

Every week the new bestseller lists come out brimming with enticing looking books and rave reviews. How to choose?

Discussion Leader:  Judy Laird

Trying to dictate what other people should do, in any matter, is to me
both futile and egotistic.  People who presume to tell others what they
should do are also saying that they are themselves superior and above
reproach. Yeah, right!
 Please bear in mind I am not referring to parents raising a child/ It is a parent's responsibility to teach a child values and ethics.
Everyone else should hoe their own row, to borrow a rural saying.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Steph

« Reply #1001 on: October 31, 2009, 09:22:28 AM »
I do believe that your reading level and comprehension are what is going to govern what you read. I read adult books from about age 8,, simply ignored what I did not understand. I used to drive teachers nuts because I knew all these words and what they meant, but not how to pronounce them..  One teacher complained to my Mom and she said... She can always find out how to pronounce.. Just leave her alone.. To this day, I think you read and take in in different ways. I first read Animal Farm at 12.. Thought of it as an animal story about how cruel some animals could be.. Then at 15 about how is pertained to life and then at 25 about what it truly meant on severel levels..Think about things you have read over the years and how the meanings have changed.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

BooksAdmin

• TopicManager
« Reply #1002 on: October 31, 2009, 01:56:14 PM »
Let's move this discussion over to a new discussion....

http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=938.msg45765#msg45765